Subject: Re: LIGHT TRAP FOR MOTHS

From: Neil Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 95 17:06:49 GMT

> 
> Does anyone know of recent work on siting of moth traps and the
> relative trapping efficiency vs light type?

> Also, I have noted that moths can fly out of traps and I have had
> situations where moths known to enter the trap were not there the
> next morning.  Any ideas on how to reduce this problem?

The only figures I have seen say that Mercury vapour is up to five times
more effective than an ordinary light bulb. I myself use a Skinner trap
which does have the problem of letting the moths out. It seems difficult
to find a design that doesn't suffer from this flaw. The bulb is Mercury 
Vapour which is very effective but can be damaged by rain. I have had 
around 200 moths in one night running it in the garden.

Having a dark light for a small portable moth trap may be a good idea.
A friend of mine had his stolen when it was left out in the field overnight.
presumably moths were not the only thing attracted.
(The police said they were looking for a large moth with a swag bag.)
-- 
Neil Jones
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gaden Robinson)
Date: 11 Jul 1995 10:58:02 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
quotes...
>> next morning.  Any ideas on how to reduce this problem?
Try for real data the classic papers:
Williams, C.B. 1951. Comparing the efficiency of insect traps. Bull. ent. 
Res. 42: 513-517, and
Williams, C.B. 1955. A second experiment on testing the relative 
efficiency of insect traps. Ibidem 46: 193-204.

You will get serious losses of trapped specimens from any trap in which 
the cone (funnel) is not transparent. Some trap designs overlook this key 
feature and provide a beautifully illuminated exit hole! If you have a 
metal funnel, replace it; put planty of egg-boxes or corrugated cardboard 
in the trap to provide perches and prevent collisions if you are not 
using a killing agent (and there are very few situations indeed where you 
should be!).