Subject: Rearing techniques

From: Dale Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 15:49:26 -0400

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding rearing Nymphalis antiopa
(Mourning Cloak) and Papilio cresphontes (Giant Swallowtail)?  Specifically,
I'm looking for the best ways to get females to oviposit.  I don't have
trouble with females of other species ovipositing but for some reason these
two are particularly stubborn.  I supply them with fresh foodplants in medium
size flight cages without success.

Any suggestions?

---

From: Soren Nylin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 09:02:48 +0200

>size flight cages without success.

Hi,

I have had N. antiopa ovipositing in the lab, in flight cages with Salix
twigs in bottles. One thing to do is to place the female by hand on the twig
now and then, and eventually she will oviposit. I think the females are
rather particular about oviposition sites in the wild (after all they
entrust perhaps hundreds of eggs to this site) but if they get to "taste"
the twigs with their modified forelegs this may override their reluctance.
Hope this helps!

Best regards/Soren Nylin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Soren Nylin
Dept of Zoology
Stockholm University
S-106 91 Stockholm
SWEDEN

Tel +46-8-164033
FAX +46-8-167715
EMAIL [email-masked]