Subject: Databases

From: Dr ED Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:35:56 +000

With regard to the availability of a database system for recording
Lepidoptera, there are 2 systems currently available - Recorder and
Levana.  The former is a general database for all sorts of groups but
includes map generation; it is very powerful.

The second I know little of but it is specifically for butterflies and is
used by Butterfly Conservation.

These are both available in the UK; Recorder is under stlg100 sterling.

>From  what I have seen, there appears to be little standardisation on
the data format and data type stored.  For example, some recorders
include weather conditions whereas others don't which I feel is an
important omission.  Rather than everyone going out and writing their
own database, perhaps it is time we should consider IN DETAIL
exactly what is required of a database system both for enthusiasts
and professionals.

On your comments about
Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664