Subject: Re: Catocala moths

From: "D:COMMSDEMONSPOOLMAIL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 07:08:03 -0400

Please PLEASE post the 'Wine-Roping' details

thanks

Andrew Stagg.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Beucke)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 00:23:23 GMT

Is this "wine roping" technique similar to the fruit/wine mixture which 
is often used to attract catacola?  I have had great success with this 
method.

--Kyle

---

From: [email-masked] (W. Donald Fattig)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 14:38:07 -0600

> is often used to attract catacola?  I have had great success with this 

My grandfather was an entomologist, and I remember that he used a mixture
of beer, brown sugar, and cut up apples, painted on the bark of oak trees
in order to attract Catocala moths.

Yes, Catocalas have attracted many amateur collectors.  One of them was my
grandfather's contemporary in Atlanta, GA, Mr. Julian Harris, grandson of
Joel Chandler Harris of Uncle Remus and tarbaby fame.

I have noticed an unusual adaptation in several bird species which hunt
the Catocalas hiding in the daytime on our college campus.  The moths
retire to crevices in the brick walls or to the less daylit undersurfaces
of building overhangs.  The birds will fly extraordinarily close to the
junction where an overhang meets the brick side of the building, flapping
their wings furiously to "flush" the hiding moths into flight.  I have
seen them be successful on many occasions.

Don Fattig