Subject: No Subject

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:44:44 EDT

From: American Association for Zoological Nomenclature
c/o National Museum of Natural History, MRC 168
Washington, D.C. 20560  U.S.A.
tel. (202) 382-1795, fax (202) 786-9422
e-mail [email-masked]

April 3, 1995

Dear Colleague:

We are asking for your financial support for the American Association for
Zoological Nomenclature (AAZN) because you realize the importance to the
systematics community of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclatur
e
(ICZN).  The ICZN is the custodian and arbiter of the rules that permit
zoological taxonomy to function.  This role is now particularly important as th
e
zoological community debates the contents of the next edition of the
International Code for Zoological Nomenclature, a draft of which is scheduled t
o
appear this year (AAZN will circulate it to members and other interested
parties).

The AAZN was established primarily to provide financial support to the ICZN and
to disseminate information and stimulate discussion of topics concerning
zoological nomenclature in North America.  Active membership in AAZN includes 2
8
organizations and approximately 200 individuals.

The financial status of the ICZN is poor and deteriorating.  Although expenses,
especially salaries, have been cut repeatedly over several years and are now at
a functional minimum, a deficit continues to accrue.  The ICZN's income is
derived from donations and sales of publications (these were approximately 45%
and 55%, respectively, of total income in 1994).  Last year, the AAZN contribut
ed
about 23% of the donations, British organizations and individuals about 44%, an
d
other sources the remainder.  Although those who contribute to AAZN are doing
their part, overall the systematics communities in North America and other
relatively wealthy nations are failing to provide adequate support for the ICZN