Subject: N.antiopa continued

From: [email-masked] (Dutch Butterfly Foundation)
Date: 9 Aug 1995 11:19:18 GMT

The invasion of N. antiopa in The Netherlands is still going on.
Until the weekend winds were mostly east. This meant that almost
all butterflies were seen in the nortern part, especially the islands
in the northwest. On Terschelling more than 22 were seen. In a village
on Texel 7 were seen together.
Since the weekend the winds changed to north or northeast. Since then
there are also records from the southern part of the country.
I am glad the invasion was also noticed in Britain. It will be very
interesting to put all the observations of nortwestern Europe together
to get a good overview of this invasion and its origin.
So everybody who sees a N. antiopa in northern or western Europe, please
send it to me and I will report about the results as soon as possible.

Chris van Swaay
Dutch Butterfly Foundaion
E-mail: [email-masked]
P.O. Box 506
NL-6700 AM  Wageningen
Tel.: +31-(0)8370-24224
Fax:  +31-(0)8370-20296

From [email-masked], internet Mon Aug 14 13:35:10 EDT 1995
Article: 1793 of sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Newsgroups: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!news.mathworks.com!newsfeed.internetmci.com!news.sprintlink.net!cs.utexas.edu!utnut!utinfo!lab09.woodsworth.utoronto.ca!user
From: [email-masked], internet (Donald A. Davis)
Subject: Monarch Butterfly Migration
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: lab09.woodsworth.utoronto.ca
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Followup-To: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Sender: [email-masked] (News)
Organization: The Friends of Presqu'ile Park
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 21:25:00 GMT
Lines: 25

Your comments and observations concerning the monarch butterfly population
have been appreciated.

What a difference a week makes! In Southern Ontario, temperatures have
cooled down somewhat and we have had rain. As a result of the cooler
temperatures and shortening days, the monarch migration has begun!

Now we are seeing egg-laying monarchs, and finding eggs and larva on
milkweed at Presqu'ile Provincial Park.

Chuck Fawdry at Wheatly Provincial Park near Windsor, Ontario tells me that
he did not see an adult monarch until July 29th. He also reports seeing
monarchs flying and soaring in a south-westardly direction, which is
typical of migration behavior.

I have also seen migrating monarchs. As I drive along our main east-west
expressway - Highway 401 - and east of Toronto, the migrating monarchs can
be easily identified. It is as if they are being attracted to some huge
magnet. They all soar across the 401 at the same angle as if they are all
heading towards the same target - and in the same south-westerly direction.

Please continue to send your monarch observations to :
[email-masked],internet

Thank you