Subject: moths in towns - worldwide

From: Michael Straube <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:22:00 +0200

Hi everybody,

some days ago I wrote I'm looking for datas on noths in European towns.
Of course, I'm also interested in moths in towns worldwide. Well, the
species names are not so interesting but the numbers in towns, esp. in
parcs and other open areas in the center of big towns, the family-
composition and other things. Are there examinations on when a wood species
can inhabit an innertown parc? Probably, for many species the presence of
their host plant(s) is not enough. Parcs (in Germany) have different soils
than natural habitats ep. because the removal of leaves, the nitrogen and
phosphor (dogs!!!) "fertilization" etc. Parcs also have different local
climates, foreign plants, wild herbs ... which all makes them very different
>from  natural habitats. Sometimes, there are just a few plants of an indigen
species. Can females passing by chance find them? Are they enough to build up
a small population?
Is there any literature on this worldwide?

Thanks in advance

Michael Straube
RWTH Aachen - Biologie VII
Kopernikusstr. 16
52056 Aachen
Germany
e-mail: [email-masked]

## CrossPoint v3.0 ##

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:30:53 +0000

Michael,

Please find below a list of moths caught in a 5ft Actinic tube trap
in Erith nr London UK (large suburban area with many industrial areas
nearby).

Oak Hook Tip - Drepana Binaria - 1
Muslin Moth - Diaphora mendica - 1
Ruby Tiger - Phragmatobia fuliginosa fuliginosa - 1
Lesser Yelleo Underwing - Noctua comes - 1
Large Yellow Underwing - Noctua pronuba - 3
Least Yellow Underwing - Noctua interjecta calignosa - 1
Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing - Noctua fimbriata - 1
Common Wainscot - Mythimna pallens - 2
Hebrew Character - Orthosia gothica - 1
Silver Y - Autographa gamma - 1
Straw Underwing - Thalpophila matura - 3
Square Spot Rustic - Xestia xanthographa - 1
Rustic - Hoplodrina blanda - 5
Pale Mottled Willow - Caradrina clavipalpis - 5
Garden Carpet - Xanthorhoe fluctuata - 1

I shall be away for a couple of weeks. I will post some more results
when I get back.

Best

Andrew Stagg