Subject: Spraying Programs/Gypsy Moth

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 21:58:54 -0400

I need background info on the use of Bt in aerial spraying programs directed
at gypsy moth populations, as well as info regarding the impact of such
spraying programs on the populations of other lep species.

Please E-mail any information to me personally. Thanks for the help.

Alan Gregory
[email-masked]
***********************************************************************
Gregory                       "As a rule the nations that have wilderness
Penn State Hazleton     do not want it, and those that want it
717-450-3188                 do not have it."  - Roderick Nash, Wilderness
[email-masked]              and the American Mind

---

From: Anne Kilmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:55:01 -0400

> Please E-mail any information to me personally. Thanks for the help.

Please also post to net (in moderation); a subject of interest to many
of us.
The tale I hear (from folks who used Bt for this purpose) is that the
gypsy moths just waited until it rained, and resumed feeding, while the
larvae of other leps died.
Predators, finding no tasty larvae, wandered away. Few predators enjoy
the gypsy moth larva, just as they don't much care for sawfly larvae.
They don't mind eating a few, but they won't stay around if gypsy moths
are all there is to eat.
This is third-hand information, though, which is not what you want. I
have it from some fruit farmers in South Florida.
I'd like to have it substantiated, or shot down.
Anne Kilmer
1424 lake Bass Dr.
Lake Worth FL
33461
USA