Subject: Mystery caterpillar

From: [email-masked] (Kurt Fox)
Date: 9 Aug 1995 11:59:28 GMT

I know that it is difficult to ID anything via descriptions text, and
appreciate anyone who takes the time and effort to read the descriptions.
I often attempt to read the descriptions and fail to get a clear concise 
picture. (I am visual, not textual). To me, the person who can ID via text
is a magician. Given that, I am looking for a magician ...

While out raking up the mowed grass on my lawn last night, I found a
very interesting caterpillar on my wheelbarrow. Can anyone tell me
what it is and what it feeds on?

Location : Western NY (East Avon)
Date/Time: 8 Aug 1995, 1900 hours
Habitat  : my mowed lawn. (rural)
Size     : slightly over an inch (~2 cm)
Description:

It was hairy along the sides from "head to toe," with the "hair" being beige
	incolor. (Aside: what is that "hair" on a larva called?)
The head had two long black "horns" that stuck out at angles from the head.
The tail had one long borwn "horn" that protruded directly behind it.
On the top of the first half of the caterpillar (from head to mid-section),
	there were four "tufts" of white "hair" sticking up, much like
	camel humps. These were not as long as the "horns" of the head or
	tail, but were larger in diameter.
On the top of the lasst half of the caterpillar (from mid-section to tail),
	the caterpillat was mostly black, had two small yellow stripes running
	length-wise, with a single row of small red dots between the yellow
	stripes.

Habits:

When I picked it up to examine it, it displayed a defensive posture where it's
*front* half was raised/humped (ie: like an inchworm) such that the four white
"tufts" were quite apparent (like stegasaurus plates). The curious part was
that only the front half was humped.

Thanks for reading,

Kurt Fox

---

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 19:07:01 GMT

>appreciate anyone who takes the time and effort to read the descriptions.

I agree - with certain reservations, one being that you just described a 
tussock moth caterpillar.  Since many are quite variable in coloration, 
it is difficult to tell exactly what you have, that much I grant you.

>is a magician. Given that, I am looking for a magician ...

Hate to disappoint you but none of us are really magicians.  Sorry.

>in color. (Aside: what is that "hair" on a larva called?)

That depends on structure.  I know some are setae (singular: seta). 

>The head had two long black "horns" that stuck out at angles from the head.

"hair pencils" for the tussock moth, even though "hair" is really a 
misnomer  (go figure!)

>The tail had one long brown "horn" that protruded directly behind it.
>there were four "tufts" of white "hair" sticking up, much like camel 
>humps. These were not as long as the "horns" of the head or tail, but 
>were larger in diameter.

Sometimes, these will be somewhat yellowish or tan, at least in some of 
the populations here in the West.

>On the top of the last half of the caterpillar (from mid-section to tail),
>the caterpillar was mostly black, had two small yellow stripes running
>length-wise, with a single row of small red dots between the yellow stripes.

Be careful: tusspck moth caterpillars all have poison glands (I think 
they are in the "hairs" or "hair pencils").  This accounts for the 
defensive bahavior you noticed.  Unfotunately, caterpillars are not, on 
theaverage, smart enough to know what human beings are their friends.  
They need more of us.  That way they can fulfill there true function in 
life: as food for many species of birds and other animals.  :-(

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Kurt Fox)
Date: 14 Aug 1995 12:39:33 GMT

Thank you all for your responses to my 'mystery' caterpillar.

Pierre Plauzoles ([email-masked]) writes:

	"Unfortunately, caterpillars are not, on 
the average, smart enough to know what human beings are their friends.  "

This implies that some caterpillars are above average and are smart enough to
recognize humans. Is this what you intended to imply? If so, what are
the "smart" caterpillars (species)? 

It sounds like a silly question where the obvious answer would be that they are 
all stupid. But, nature is often amazing and nothing is truly obvious. Ants and 
bees are fascinating. Perhaps caterpillars and butterflies are 'smart' too. With
behavior like territorial defense, it makes me wonder what I have been missing by
watching the adults and not the larva as well.

curiously yours,

Kurt Fox