Subject: First sighting

From: Hristos Thomas Anastassiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:09:54 -0500

First sighting for Ann Arbor MI: Nymphalis antiopa
(Mourning Cloak/Camberwell Beauty/Trauermantel/Traurnitsa e.t.c. ...)
in the afternoon of March 29. Sunny skies, 12C.

Hristos Anastassiu
University of Michigan

P.S. Finally... I thought that spring would never arrive this year...

---

From: Chauncey Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 11:02:23 -0500

Although there was snow in southern Ontario this morning,
yesterday (Sunday, March 31) was warm enough for my wife and myself to
record our first butterflies for the 1996 season.  In sighting order:

        Compton Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vau-album)
        Comma                 (Polygonia comma)
        Mourning Cloak        (Nymphalis antiopa)

        All sightings were in the area of Long Point, Ontario.  We
expected the Mourning Cloak, which has been our first butterfly of the
year for several years.  The Compton Tortoiseshell was particularly
welcome since we have only seen one other in the area--an early fall
record last year.  We have had other early records of the Comma, but this
is our first March record.  And there were two of them!

        --Chauncey Wood

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chauncey Wood                           E-mail:     [email-masked]
Department of English                   Telephone:  (905) 525-9140, ext. 23742
McMaster University                     Fax:        (905) 577-6930
Hamilton ON  L8S 4L9  Canada
------------------------------------------------------------------------------