Subject: pupae in dino nests

From: [email-masked] (John Bois)
Date: 4 Apr 1996 15:06:40 GMT

Does anyone out there have info on Horner's find of apparent  insect 
fossils: "Commonly found on the nesting horizons, closely associated with 
the hypsilophodont nests are casts of assumed insect or beetle (sic) 
pupal cases.  Well preserved specimens show an external pattern that 
appears to consist of a tightly wound, fine threadlike structure similar 
to extant insect cocoons."

Also found at this site were small fecal pellets in the eggs along with 
the bones of dino embryo.  They are 1.5mm long and .75mm in latitudinal 
diameter.  These pellets have also been found in the eggs of fossil 
cranes' eggs.

Horner believes the insects scavenged egg-fluids (would there _be_ any 
fluids if eggs reached hatching?) and dead embryos.

No connection is made between the cases and the pellets.

Any ideas, questions, are welcome.

---

From: Larry Sweeny <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 20:36:07 -0600

Yes I think so when a chicken hatches the egg shell is wet with
birth fluids and I have seen ants in the egg shells of -free
range- chicken nest. (not caged chickens).