Subject: N. antiopa, Kalamazoo Co., Michigan

From: [email-masked] (Julie "Mudgie" Stahlhut)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 13:08 est

On Sunday, March 19, 1995, my husband and I spotted two Mourning Cloaks
(Nymphalis antiopa) patrolling a wooded area at the Kalamazoo Nature 
Center.   Truly a sign that spring has sprung!

Julie K. Stahlhut, Hellgrammite Tamer   [email-masked]
     "My love, she's like a severed bug head in the morning."
             -- Richard W. Stahlhut, thoroughly out of context.

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Korbelik)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 21:29:06 GMT

In between perusing the sunday paper in my backyard yesterday
I observed a Gulf Fritillary, a Cabbage White, and two Painted
Lady butterflies. The Ladies were cavorting in intricate flight
and it appeared to this layman that perhaps a male was attempting
to convince a female that further propagation of the species was a cool 
idea and the female was being coy. Then again they could have just
been having an argument over the relative merits of buddelia vs lantana
nector, for all I know. Later while puttering in the garden I found
a Cabbage White caterpiller on (surprise!), a cabbage plant!

Brian Korbelik

---

From: Jeffrey Glenn Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 19:03:20 -0600

MORE ON MONARCHS

What a  thrill it was coming home from work  about 5pm CST and seeing an
monarch flitting about and apparently seeking food from an autumn sage
(Salvia greggii).. In addition, the butterfly was seen visiting an
Asclepias cursavassica[sic] (Mexican Milkweed). I live  in an area of
northeast Harris County(Houston, TX) and for the past ten years or so
have never!!! seen a monarch in this immediate area. I would have
thought this open former ricefield subdivision would have been
appropriate. Maybe it is now as I and some neighbors haver been planting
for butterflies including monarchs.

Ought to be an  interesting year

best regards to all,

Jeff Schultz
[email-masked]