Subject: Butterflies in Anza-Borrego

From: "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 04:20:02 -0800

February 19 was spent in Anza-Borrego State Park in the desert of eastern 
San Diego County, California.  The sky was clear and the temperature 
peaked at about 80 degrees F.  All in all a beautiful time to camp in the 
desert.
Species near our campsite at Coyote Creek, elevation 750' included Sara 
Orangetip (Anthocharis sara) and Mormon Metalmark (Apodemia mormo).
Plum Canyon at about 1950' had Black (Rudkin's) Swallowtail (Papilio 
polyxenes), Sara Orangetip, Bramble Hairstreak (Callophrys dumetorum),
Sonoran Blue (Philotes sonorensis), Silvery Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus), 
and Funereal Duskywing (Erynnis funeralis).
Plese note that the policy at the park now excludes netting bugs - even 
for ID purposes.  Our sightings were through binoculars with most species 
photographed (our nets were left in the vehicle).  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
	Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
			33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List