Subject: Generators

From: Rob Souter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:35:27 +0000

Dear LEPS

Speaking as Moth officer for the Herts and Middx branch of Butterfly
Conservation I would like to ask for some advice regarding generators for
use with light traps.

I wish to have something capable of running 2 Skinner traps, I guess with
MV bulbs of 125W each (or are there more appropriate power bulbs). I intend
to take the rig into the field so it needs to be fairly light to carry 1
kilometer or so. It'll be used for field meetings and site recording at a
range of sites.

I have info on a range of Honda generators but have had a couple of
conflicting views regarding output needed (eg need greater output than the
value of the loads for starting).

I also wonder if in people's experience one model is better over another
with regards to weight, running time, noise etc

Price is obviously a factor so I'm after the best deal. Watkins and
Doncaster do a Honda EX650 for #500. This has a 550W output and may even
run more than 2 traps. There are also 350 models which will be lighter but
may not have enough power to start and run two traps. The local dealer in
these things (selling agricultural equipment) seems expensive (ie #475 for
a 350 and #575 for the 650). Are there other outlets who might do a better
deal?

Regarding traps I'd probably make up some Skinner trap frames and just put
together the electrics myself if I can find a source for these. Good olde
electrical stores I've been told.

Of course, I  realise that many messages recently have mentioned the Heath
trap with its obvious advantages and disadvantages. Has any one got a
comment regarding going to the expense of getting the MV trap and genny
option.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Souter
Technical Officer
Department of Psychology
University of Hertfordshire
College Lane
Hatfield
Herts AL10 9AB
England.

Tel: +44-(0)1707 284696
Fax: +44-(0)1707 285073
Email: [email-masked]
www:http://phoenix.herts.ac.uk

---

From: Per Stadel Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:58:42 -0800

In Denmark most people use Honda E300, as this generator eaily runs 2 
lamps 80 + 125 W mercury + evt. a 40 lighttube a whole night on one tank 
full. This is unfortunately a rather old machine, but is going on forever 
(almost). The weight is 18 kilos, so even this is rather heavy to carry 
more than some 100 m's. E600 is much heavier. 
Today a small model weighing only abt. 9 kilo is on the market, but it is 
rather unpractical to use. It can only run one 80 or 125W HG lamp, and 
uses oil mixed fuel. Further it must be refilled quite often, abt. each 
2-3 hours.
I can recommend you the equipment we use here: No traps but a white sheet 
app. 2x2 m. placed on the ground in open areas evt. supplemented with a 
vertical sheet abt. 1,5 m. height. Place the lamp in a holder so that the 
lamp is not more than 25-40 cm above the sheet (and 10-15 cm from 
vertical sheet), and place a number of egg-trays 25x25 cm size (for 30 
eggs I think) under and around the lamp. This equipment is easy to pack 
and carry and works very well. The moths just sits nicely in the 
egg-trays for you to examine, study and show. If one is wanted, it can 
quite easily be knocked into a glass. Only remember, that it is 
important, that the lamps is close to the egg-trays/sheet, else the moths 
will hide in vegetation around. When packing you simply knock the 
egg-trays empty in the vegetation some distance away, best with the lamp 
turned off !!.
Good luck
-- 
Per Stadel Nielsen, DK
<[email-masked]>