Subject: swan plant

From: Monarch Watch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:36:59 -0500

From: Michel Renou <[email-masked]>
>Organization: INRA
>Subject:      swan plant
>To: Multiple recipients of list LEPS-L <[email-masked]>
>
Re: Swan plant. Asclepias physocarpa, Asclepiadaceae - a milkweed species
said to be originally from South Africa. This species has been introduced
into a number of Pacific islands and into New Zealand where it has become
quite "weedy" in disturbed sites. It appears to be an excellent host plant
for monarchs. The plants I've grown attain a height of 1.25 meters. The
plant is not freeze tolerant.

>I was questuioned by an entomologist who got some seed from New Zealand
>of a plant called "swan plant" and should be a good host plant for the
>monarch butterfly. We would like to know more about this plant:
>scientific name, distribution, family, ...
>thank you
>

Monarch Watch
EMAIL:  [email-masked]
URL:  http://monarch.bio.ukans.edu
DPLEX-L:  send message "info DPLEX-L" to [email-masked]
PHONE - toll-free!:  (888) TAGGING
FAX:  (913) 864 5321
SNAIL:  c/o O.R. Taylor, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. of KS, Lawrence KS 66045