Subject: Re: Netting Bans

From: "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 06:43:07 -0800

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995, Dr ED Chesmore wrote:

> I have only just subscribed to Leps-L and the first message I received
> was from Hank Brodkin re butterflies in Anza-Borrego State Park.
> 
> He noted that the netting of specimens is banned within the park.  I
> find this somewhat surprising since it would make accurate
> determination of similar species impossible.  In my opinion, netting a
> specimen for identification would not adversely affect its progress in
> life.

Dave-
Fred Heath told me about this policy at Anza-Borrego.  He was told by the 
ranger that with the increased use of the park there has been an upsurge 
in people collecting plants - especially cacti, herps, fossils, etc.  
With their restricted manpower it is just easier for them to ban anything 
that looks like collecting. Fred was using his net to catch species for 
temporary display on a field trip he was leading.
This is too bad because Anza-Borrego has been one of the traditional 
collecting areas for Leps in California.  The record books are full of 
specimen material from Yaqui Wells, Scissors Crossing, Sentenac Canyon, etc.
On the other hand - as far as butterflies go - it is quite possible to ID 
species through close focusing binoculars, something that comes naturally 
to a birder like myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
	Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
			33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List