Subject: Thisbe irenea

From: [email-masked] (Ben Scofield)
Date: 26 May 1995 01:55:27 GMT

I was just wondering if anybody could provide me with sources on this
species, specifically on its relationships with ants.  I just finished 
reading Dawkins' _The Selfish Gene_, and he mentioned it in passing...

thanks, Ben Scofield

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Amal Jasentuliyana)
Date: 26 May 1995 23:15:28 GMT

Ben Scofield ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I was just wondering if anybody could provide me with sources on this
: species, specifically on its relationships with ants.  I just finished 
: reading Dawkins' _The Selfish Gene_, and he mentioned it in passing...

: thanks, Ben Scofield

: [email-masked]

--

I've noticed this topic (ant-lepidopteran interactions) has come up 
several times on this group, so I will post a few references for anyone 
who's interested.

Studies examining the effect of ants on larval predation and parasitism 
have been done in the Lycaenidae with _Jalmenus evagoras_Êlarvae 
associating with _Iridomyrmex anceps_Êants (Pierce et al 1987), 
_Glaucopsyche lygdamus_Êlarvae and _Formica altipetens_Êants (Pierce & Mead 
1981; Pierce & Esteal  1986) and in the Riodinid _Thisbe irenea_ 
associating with _Ectatoma ruidum_Êants (DeVries  1991). All three studies 
used the same experimental design; plants infested with ants were 
assigned to control and experimental groups. The experimental groups 
excluded ants by encircling the plant with a sticky substance, while the 
control groups included the sticky substance along with an alternate 
route for ants to reach the plant. Larvae were then added to these 
plants, and their mortality due to predation and parasitism was noted. In 
all three studies, either predation, parasitism, or both were found to 
significantly decrease with the presence of ants, indicating that the 
protection hypothesis is valid for the particular species of ants and 
larvae used in these studies.

DeVries P.J. (1991) ÒMutualism between Thisbe irenia butterflies and 
ants, and the role of ant ecology in the evolution of larval-ant 
associationsÓ. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 43:179-195.

DeVries P.J. (1990) Science 248:1104-1106.

DeVries, P.J. (1988) "The larval ant-organs of Thisbe  irenea 
(Lepidoptera: Riodinidae) and their effects upon attending ants". Zool. 
J. Linn. Soc 94:379-393.

Pierce N.E. et al (1987) ÒThe costs & benefits of cooperation between the 
Australian Lycaenid butterfly, Jalmenus evagoras and its attendant antsÓ. 
Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol 21:237-248.

Pierce N.E. & Mead P.S. (1981) ÒParasitoids as selective agents in the 
symbiosis between Lycaenid butterfly larvae and antsÓ. Science 222:1185-1187

Pierce N.E. & Easteal  S.(1986) ÒThe selective advantage of attendant 
ants for the larvae of a Lycaenid butterfly Gluaucpsyche lygdamusÓ J. 
Animal. Ecol. 55:451-462

--------------------
AMAL JASENTULIYANA
[email-masked]
Dept. of Ecology & Evolution
State University of New York at Stony Brook