Subject: Re: late UK butterflies

From: Martin Honey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 16:41:13 GMT

Yesterday, Thursday 2nd November 1995, I visited Durlston Head Country
Park, Dorset (on the south coast, just west of Swanage, England). It was a
very sunny day with a strong, cool westerly breeze but with temperatures
reported to be around 12C (it felt quite a bit hotter out of the wind).
Large amounts of ivy (Hedera spp.) were in bloom and I saw at least two
dozen Red Admiral (V. atalanta), many very fresh, and one Painted Lady (C.
cardui) feeding at the blossom and sunning themselves on the dry stone
walls. Quite a sight!

******************************************************************
Martin R. Honey, Collections Management (Lepidoptera), Department
of Entomology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON,
SW7 5BD, Great Britain.
TELEPHONE: 0171 938 9338    International  +44 171 938 9338
FAX:       0171 938 8937    International  +44 171 938 8937
EMAIL:     [email-masked]
******************************************************************

---

From: DP HOWSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 22:49:09 +0000

Present position this week in our W Yorkshire area.
Latest sightings I know:
atalanta   Oxenhope   29 October
urticae    Leeds       2 November
phleas          ditto
c-album    Bradford    1 November

Today,3 November, very chilly.No sightings.

Dave Howson