Subject: Finding Spice Bush Swallowtail Larva

From: [email-masked] (PierceB)
Date: 17 Jun 1996 10:54:04 -0400

I can usually find spice bush swallowtail larva in New England by
searching the leaves of the Sasafrass Tree. My best result have come from
searching on overcast days in late June in a thicket of Sasafrass trees.
Usually they are found in area's where there has been woodland cleared
several years prior. The seem to be in the first trees to reclaim the land
in a sucession forest.
Also when looking for the larva they are often out on the leaves during
the day on overcast, damp days. Another habit that will point you to
Spicebush larva is to look for the curled up leaf the use while resting
between feedings.
If you have a butterfly garden or area that spicebush swallowtail pass
through try making an emuslion of sasafrass leaves or spice bush leaves
and pour it over a piece of cheese cloth attached to a board placed in a
shady spot. I have had them come and lay eggs on the cheese cloth and then
raised the larva.
Good Luck
[email-masked]