Subject: video leps

From: Dick Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 23:59:00 -0500

For the last 3 years I have been experimenting with video as a tool for
collecting images of butterflies. Ultimately my aim is to compile a
comprehensive video library of Eastern N. A. skippers.

For those of you who might have considered using video for your field (or
lab) studies I offer the following suggestions regarding the video process
and materials.

Category 1: getting the images: Hi8 cameras offer small size, good
portability, and excellent video quality; a camera that reads and writes time
code is important; a sturdy tripod is another necessity

Category 2: editing equipment - getting the images in the field is often the
easiest part of video production. Identifying specific scenes and rearranging
them to suite your needs is a time consuming but critical part of using video
effectively. While there seems to be no end to editing technologies (and no
price ceiling!) you can manage rather effectively with a few simple tools
that will allow you to: A) Create a log of the scenes for each tape (name
each scene, identify its "in point" or where it starts and its "out point" or
where it ends. B) Create an edit list that defines the order of scenes for
your "finished" product C) Create a 2nd generation tape that has the scenes
you want in the order you want them.

The basic tools you need here are your camera, a separate video deck, and
some software that enables your computer to control the camera and the deck
in a precise way. Essentially the software instructs the camera (holding your
field tape) to search for a certain cut (using time code). When found, the
cut is played to the external deck (holding a blank tape) which begins
recording as per the software instructions. All this searching, finding,
starting, recording, and stopping can be done "by hand" but it will drive you
crazy. Besides, you can't do it as precisely as the software can so spend a
few bucks on the program.

The following items do not represent an endorsement. Rather, they are listed
here to give you a ballpark idea of basic equipment and cost.
-Sony 700 - Hi 8 camera   $1450.00
-Sony EVS 7000 - Hi 8 video deck  $1650.00
-Video Tool Kit (editing software)     $200.00

While basic camera operation is fairly straightforward, editing has somewhat
of a steep learning (frustration) curve. But I've found it worthwhile and
have managed to compile a decent video library of leps. If at all possible,
find a colleague who has some video experience. I'd be especially interested
in hearing from anyone already involved with leps and video.

Cheers, Dick Walton

---

From: [email-masked] (Amazexplor)
Date: 23 Jan 1995 03:25:59 -0500

There is now a product from Japan that converts any camcorder or
palmcorder into a microscope, throws it magnified onto a television set -
up to 180 x depending on the camcorder and the size of the television set.
 Since you are using your own camcorder, you can narrate your finding,
change magnification and bascially use your camcorder for everyday use. 
The MicroExplorer retails for $300.  If you would like to see a demo tape
Snail mail your address to me and i will send it on to you.  By the way,
this well known lens company also makes a 35mm MicroExplorer that works
with 35mm camera.  I can send you also picture samples.

Paul Lichtman
Amazing Explorer
12400 Ventura Blvd. #350
Studio City CA 91604
tel:800-417-7773
fax:818-905-5627