Subject: Detroit Zoo caterpillar ID

From: Paul Cypher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:08:20 -0400

I need some help identifying a caterpillar.

It is about 1" long.  The hairs are a yellow-green, and the specimen is very
hairy overall. The skin itself is visible and appears to be a light cream(?)
color with numerous black spots.  A total of 8 tufts (4 pairs) can be seen.
 One pair is white and is located on the hind end.  A second white pair is
located on the head, originating from the side.  The two remaining pairs are
also located on the head but are a brownish color.  The orientation of these
tufts is more dorsal, versus the lateral oieintation of the white pair.

Unfortunately, the specimen was given to me so I can not tell you any host
plant info.  However, it was captured today at the Detroit Zoo, if that helps
any.  Various species of Oak tree are numerous, as are Locust and Silver
Maples.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Paul Cypher

PS-I seen to have misplaced the info I recieved concerning this listserve.
 If someone could possibly email the information, I would be very grateful.
 Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Yanega)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 18:57:27 -0600

> Thank you in advance for any help.

Sounds a bit like a Tiger Moth larva (Arctiidae), possibly the genus
Halysidota. Might also be a Dagger Moth, in the Noctuidae. It's been a
while since I've seen either, so my memory can't confirm one way or the
other, but it seems to me the Dagger moth is the more likely match.
-- 
Doug Yanega
Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Biodiversity
607 E. Peabody Dr. Champaign, IL 61820  USA
"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is
    the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick