Subject: Re: insect analog

From: [email-masked] (Doug Yanega)
Date: 11 May 1995 22:14:56 GMT

In article
<[email-masked]>, "C.
Wigren" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> What is the insect analog of the vertebrate arteriole? I suppose one
might find an insect analog 
> based on function, ie the arterioles carry oxygenated blood to the tissues.

In that case, the analog is the tracheole, since insects lack a closed
circulatory system.
-- 
Doug Yanega
Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Biodiversity
607 E. Peabody Dr. Champaign, IL 61820  USA
"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is
    the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick

---

From: "C. Wigren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 12:02:20 -0700

What is the insect analog of the vertebrate arteriole?  The only 
candidates I have come up with so far are the dorsal vessel 'aorta' or 
perhaps the pulsatile organs at the base of the wing and antennae.  I 
picked these based on structure.  The arteriole contains smooth muscle 
and noradrenergic nerve fibers. I suppose one might find an insect analog 
based on function, ie the arterioles carry oxygenated blood to the tissues.

Thank you,
Carl Wigren