Subject: New book on Danish butterflies

From: [email-masked] (Per)
Date: 26 Apr 96 20:31:43 GMT

Hello all Lepidopterists on the net.

For some years there has been a project running gathering distribution 
information on all Danish butterflies. This project collected abt. 
210.000 records and has now given birth to a very fine new book which 
deserves to be mentioned also outside Denmark. Note the extremely low 
price DKK 310,- (DKK 4 = DM 1) which is possible through considerable 
financial support. Please also note, that I have no personal part or 
interest in the book. Below I quote an information pamphlet from Apollo 
Books.

MICHAEL STOLTZE : Danske Dagsommerfugle

(The Butterflies of Denmark.) April 1996. ISBN 87-00-21276-8
27 x 21 cm. 384 pages. Illustrated throughout in colour. Distribution 
maps. Text in Danish. Hardback. Price excl. postage. DKK 310,-

This book is written both for the lepidopterists and the audience with a 
general interest in nature. It is a comprehensive handbook for 
identification with in depth going treatments and numerous illustrations 
of all the species of butterflies hitherto recorded from Denmark. The 
introduction present an overview of the classification of the butterflies 
and their diversity in Denmark compared to the rest of the world. 
Furthermore the introduction brings many general chapters on the 
morphology of butterflies, the development from egg to adult insect, 
behaviour, enemies, names, and information on how to watch, photograph 
and breed the butterflies and on nature conservation. The main part of 
the book is a systematic treatment of all species. For each species there 
are sections on variation, flight period, habitat, ecology, biology from 
egg to adult butterfly, distribution in Denmark and the rest of the 
world, and Danish, foreign and scientific names and their meaning. The 
book presents for the first time in Danish the extensive new information 
that has been gathered in recent years in monitoring the species, nature 
conservation and research focussing on butterflies in Denmark and abroad. 
The more than 300 colour photos of the butterflies are by a number of the 
best Danish nature photographers. The emphasis has been to show the 
butterflies as they can be observed in nature. The book also includes 20 
colour plates with a total of 422 set specimens. These plates are of the 
very best quality and show male, female, underside and the most common 
variation so that the various species easily can be compared and 
identified. Furthermore, distribution maps in four colours show the 
present and past distribution of the species in Denmark. The maps 
compiled from information by more than 600 participants in the Danish 
butterfly montoring project in the early 1990es. Finally the book has a 
map showing the number of species in each of the 10 x 10 km squares in 
Denmark and a table with the flying period of all species.
The book can be ordered through your usual international book supplier, 
or through Apollo Books, Snail mail: Kirkeby Sand 19, DK-5771 Stenstrup, 
fax. 45 62 26 37 80 (no E-mail)

You can also place your order at my E-mail address: 
[email-masked] 
and I will pass it on to Apollo Books.

Regards to all
P. Stadel Nielsen, Copenhagen, Denmark