Subject: High Power traps run off batteries

From: [email-masked] (Michael Pennington)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:16:02 +0100

We have recently applied for a grant to buy some traps and a 
generator but we have been advised that we would be better off buying 
heavy duty lorry batteries and using those instead.

The traps we are talking about are Skinner traps using a 125W MV lamp 
with a choke. We are NOT talking about the smaller Heath traps which 
use actinic bulbs (these are very ineffecient in Shetland).

Can anyone advise? Can this be done? If so, why does no-one else 
appear to do it? Does it just burn out the batteries?

Any advice gratefully received.

-- 
Mike Pennington
Baltasound, Unst, Shetland
[email-masked]
Shetland Entomological Group webpage http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/insects

---

From: Janne Sinkkonen <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jun 1996 09:48:05 +0300

> heavy duty lorry batteries and using those instead.

Makes no sense. At N times 125W, you will die of carrying those
batteries. Heavy is the correct word.

--
Janne