Subject: Re: Butterfly Gardening - mid spring nectar sources

From: [email-masked] (Brian Korbelik)
Date: 25 May 1995 22:27:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Whirlabout <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Over the last several years I have been continuously adding to my
>butterfly garden - both food and nectar plants. One definite
>weakness I identified a while back is the lack of mid-spring
>nectar sources. Last year I swore that I would plant some
>tithonia or verbena bonarensis(sp?) very early inside so it would be
>ready to bloom in May. Things got busy as they usually do and
>this didn't happen. 
>
>I've noticed that siberian iris seems to attract early skippers.
>I'd like to know what solutions people have come up with to solve
>this dilemma. It tears me up to watch unidentified leps cruising
>by with nothing to catch their interest and slow them down.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions?
>

Ron,

I have had the same problem as you with mid spring blooms that
attract butterflies.  Though here in Southern California my buddelia
usually goes into bloom in early May.  One solution that I have
come up with is to plant native wildflowers, here they begin to
bloom in March.  I don't know if this solution can apply to where
you are located though. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Brian Korbelik