Subject: Re: Begineer

From: Dave Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:36:34 +000

Michale Pennington states:

>My case for collecting (or otherwise) is based on neccesity and
>commonsense, not mere taxonomy.

Surely the correct identification of a species (ie taxonomy) is
commonsense and NECESSARY!  After all, there is nothing worse
than an incorrect identification.

Consider some suggestions made at a Butterfly Conservation
meeting where the difficulty for some people of distinguishing
between Small Skipper/Essex Skipper, or even between the 3
common whites (P. brassicae, P. rapae and P. napi).  The suggestion
was made to group observations together, ie "Whites", with no further
distinction.

Is this approach commonsense or scientific?

Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664
Email:  [email-masked]