Subject: Double Square-spot (Xestia triangulum) (UK)

From: Donald Hobern <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 13:16:16 +0100

A couple of beginner's questions about UK (Southampton) noctuids:

1. Skinner says of the Double Square-spot (Xestia triangulum) that it
   flies in June and July (single-brooded).  I found a moth on Sunday
   (September 1st) which had the appearance of a dark specimen (in good
   condition) of this species.  I assume that I am wrong and that I
   just need more experience but this made me wonder how narrow the 
   period in which such a moth can be found really is.  Would it be
   exceptionally rare to find a full month outside the normal flight
   period?  Are flight periods being affected at all by recent 
   climatic changes?

2. Most of the noctuids that I am finding at the moment are 
   Square-spot Rustics (X. xanthographa).  One of these last night
   had a notably dark border to its (whitish) underwings, rather 
   like the border on a Lesser Yellow Underwing (Noctua comes).
   Is this normal variation?  (I am satisfied that it *was* a
   Square-spot Rustic - the square spot was very well marked.)

Thanks,

Donald

-- 

Donald Hobern : CICS AIX Development
E-MAIL       : [email-masked]
TELEPHONE    : +44 1962 815301