Subject: Early Season Report

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 20:16:33 -0500

The following species (in indicated numbers) were seen by Alan C. Gregory,
Conyngham, Pa. (USA) during a visit to Pennsylvania State Game Lands 13
(Sullivan County) on 17 April.
Time: 1015 EST to 1330 EST.
Sky: Partly cloudy (start); mostly cloudy (finish)
Temperature: 50F (start); 56F (finish).
Habitat: Open grassy trails through hardwood (some red spruce) forest; open,
sunny jeep road (very grassy) along edge of sedge marsh and pond.
Elevation: 2,050 to 2,100 feet.

Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon): 4 individuals (first observation for this
site in 1995).
Compton Tortoiseshell (Nynphalis vau-album): 7 (adults re-emerging from
hibernation. First observation for this site in 1995. Adult from single
summer brood observed in same location in July 1994).
Mourning Cloak (N. antiopa): 12 (probably many more).
Both N. vau-album and N. antiopa patrolling woodland trails, but some also
observed at mud puddles in roadside parking area.

Alan C. Gregory
Conyngham, Pa. USA
*************************                 ****************************
* Monica E. Gregory, PH.D.
* Asst. Prof, Psychology            "We are trying to build a
* Penn State Hazleton             university that our football team
* Hazleton PA 18201                 can be proud of."
* Internet: [email-masked]          Pres. University of Oklahoma
* Tel:(717)450-3188

---

From: Ron Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 11:00:36 -0500

Just thought to let the list know that some of us are still in the deep
freeze up here. Haven't seen a bug in months, and unless it gets a lot
warmer pretty soon, it could be weeks yet! Even Alaska beats us. Cold
weather does have some value -- keeps the riffraff out of the way during
our three-week summer.

**********************************************************************
Ronald A. Royer
Division of Science
Minot State University, Minot ND 58707
701-857-3209 (Personal Office), 3161 (Division Office)
701-839-6933 (FAX), <[email-masked]>
**********************************************************************