Subject: bogongs

From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Heald)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 10:25:43 GMT

Just a short note about the bogong moths. It looks like it's that time of
year again, when prevailing winds drive millions of the little buggers
offcourse and into Sydney - there's at least 3 dozen banging on the window
as I type this. On the other hand, they are edible....

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Britton)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:48:06 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>,

> as I type this. On the other hand, they are edible....

but will they invade Parliment House again now that there is a Coalition
government in charge?  

Dave B. (where is Mothra now that you need it)

-- 
David R. Britton, Biological Sciences, 
University of Wollongong NSW Australia 2522 
(Ph) 61-42-213436 (Fax) 61-42-214135, email <[email-masked]>

---

From: Shellie Welch <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Sep 1996 02:38:22 GMT

I've never heard of bogong moths here in the US.  Do you know of a 
website with a photo?  Just curious.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Britton)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:11:39 +0000

> website with a photo?  Just curious.

Don't know about a web site, but if you want to look the species up (it is
Australian), the scientific name is Agrotis infusa, and it is in the
Noctuidae.  They are famous for forming large aggregations at higher
altitudes in summer, where many thousands of moths shelter in cool areas. 
Indigenous people collected and used them for food during these times.  The
larvae are grass feeders.

cheers

Dave.

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Heald)
Date: 25 Sep 1996 05:25:24 GMT

> website with a photo?  Just curious.

As Dave said, I don't know of any sites, but a WWW search turned up a few
pages. Visually, they're not spectacular - dirty grey, a dark splotch
under each wing.... it's simply the migration and food value that have
made them famous. As Dave implied, every year they invade Parliment House
( attracted by the spotlights ) were they cause mass havoc and vast
amusement for the general populus.

-- 
Daniel Heald

--

"You can't get something from nothing - the Universe is one of the exceptions"