Subject: Moth Light Traps

From: "D:COMMSDEMONSPOOLMAIL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 11:23:00 GMT

All

I have been using moth traps in the UK for some time now. I find that 
those in the UK commercially available are very expensive. (275 for 
the robinson and 75 for the Heath portable.) Although Mercury Vapour 
at present seems to be the best, I am looking into other lamps that 
produce a similar light to this. This is with a view to making some new 
ideas (and traps) available for general use. To this end, I should have 
a lower cost Mercury vapour trap available at the beginning of August. 
Pricing is likely to be in the region of 100 - to 125 + VAT & 
shipping. This trap is as powerfull as the Robinson but obviously lower cost. I will 
be investigating lower cost portable traps as well. 

If anyone is interested in these traps, please mail me at this Internet 
address. - [email-masked]. I will also look into the 
possibility of a US version if the cost is not prohibitive.

I have under construction, the ultimate MV trap with a 1,000W MV bulb 
included. However the cost is enormous. I will keep the newsgroup 
posted with the results with this trap.

On the collection side, I will be using the standard cone and tub 
method of holding the moths. Any new ideas on the best method of 
keeping the moths in the trap will be greatly appreciated.

-------------------
Andrew Stagg

---

From: Bart Vanholder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 20:37:00 +0200

I operate 3 types of light-traps. I work with different kinds of light-bulbs
and tubes. When self-made the price of these things can be reduced to let's
say about 100 British pounds for a trap. Most of the material is easy to
find. For instance as collecting-container I use a low-cost plastic dustbin.
Every trap is made so I can dismantle it.

I use most of the time a trap with HPL 125 watt (Philips) or its equivalent
HQL 125 watt (Osram). If you are lucky you can easy find this bulbs, as used
in older street lamps. I got some from the workers that were changing the
light supply in our street and they just threw the old bulbs away. I got
them in return for a few beers.
This trap works with normal electricity supply 220 volt and I use it near my
home and near a country-house (wich has electricity) in the vicinity of a
natural reserve.
This HPL-bulb is a good performer and 200-300 moths a night in summer is not
unusual.
The same trap can be provided with a ML 250 watt (Philips). This lamp
doesn't need a transformer as the HPL does. It is a bit less performing and
it can't stand any rain.
This light I use mostly on collecting eves with a group (electricity generator).

A very good light-source for trapping is (Philips) HPL 80 watt. This has no
Yttrium-vanadate (the 'white powder' with wich most lamps are blinded) and
gives more UV- emission. But this lamp is very scarce and you can hardly
find one. Other possibilities are (quite expensive) HP/T 250 watt and HPK
125 watt, these are pure U.V-lights (care for the eyes, don't stay with the
trap but use a timer).

In the reserve itself (with permission of course) I use a self-made
light-trap with
an U.V-light tube (Philips) TLD 20 Watt. This one works with an electronical
made transfo on any 12 Volt-supply (e.g. a car battery). I place this trap
wherever I want and it works for a few consecutive days. It is more or less
like a big Heath-trap and performing almost as good as the HPL-trap.

On holidays I work with the easy in transport Heath-trap (TL 6 watt Philips)
or I take a dismantled trap with HPL 125 is electricity-supply is no problem
(e.g. chalets in the mountain).

Enjoy a good lighting

Bart Vanholder
Belgian Migrating Lepidoptera Survey
Droeskouter 33
B-9450 Haaltert
Belgium
[email-masked]

Bart Vanholder
Belgian Migrating Lepidoptera Survey
Droeskouter 33
B-9450 Haaltert
Belgium
e-mail: [email-masked]