Subject: Re: UK Leps

From: Dave Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:20:22 +000

In the UK, the flight times for some species appears to be delayed by
a couple of weeks.

I am still getting Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta) in my moth trap but I
saw my first Silver Y (Autographa gamma) last night (4 June).

It would appear that the early species (March-April) have extended
their flight period and others are now appearing normally.  Has
anyone else noted this?

Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:41:20 GMT

>saw my first Silver Y (Autographa gamma) last night (4 June).

Hi Dave,

Closed Drab finished a long time ago down in Oxfordshire. But I _did_
see a Silver-Y quite early in the season which I can only explain by
possible good 'migration winds' from Europe at that time.

>their flight period and others are now appearing normally.  Has

I think that most of the early ones though _have_ had a longer flight
period due to the weather. We start trapping in the middle of April on
my local nature reserve and we got a few species which would normally
have finished by then still in flight.

As for the stuff that _should_ be out now we are getting quite reduced
catches of all species. Nothing like the numbers we would normally get
this time of year. One of out specialities, the Light Feathered Rustic
(Agrotis cinerea(?)), would normally be quite prolific but we are
getting just a few every now and then. The ones we have been getting
are very variable in colour and contrast. 

With the recent good weather though perhaps this weekend will prove to
be a good one for trapping.

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

---

From: Alan Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Jun 1996 09:00:27 GMT

Hello Dave

Up here in Durham all the Orthosia have had a very extended flight 
I am still seeing the odd gothica, incerta, munda and cruda. I 
hope to consolidate this information and compare it with the site 
weather records.

Good Mothing

Alan