Subject: Re: Collecting permits

From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 13:43:36 -0700

This is an example of what my Ocotber 31 posting subject "Here comes the
TRUTH" attempts to resolve; I know it is a long posting but is well worth
the reading and I will be happy to forward this message to you in case
you missed it or accidently erased it. Quotes like the one which was
corrected in the attached posting are good examples of just how much the
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and their federal prosecutors distort,
exaggerate or outright lie about the real situation at hand in their
quotes and staged press conferences - the sad part though is that their
attempts to mis-inform the public have been very deliberate and have
caused real harm, not just to science and entomology, but to previously
progressive environmental reforms.  Our legislators, whom call the F&WL
Service's brand of so called research just plain "bad science" are poised
to gut the Endangered Species Act, largely in part thanks to
irresponsible F&WL agents whom have abused what should have been good
legislation.  Anyway, articles of mine and those of many others will be
published in future issues of the _News of the Lepidopterists' Society_
(among other media) in attempts to correct some of the bad
mis-information fed to you by the F&WL.  In regards to the case
concerning John Kemner, would you like to know what the outcome was? I'll
tell you soon as I get around to it - stay tuned!

Thank you, Thomas W. Kral       e-mail: [email-masked]

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995, Jackie Miller (NC) wrote:

>         On behalf of Maria Minno, co-editor of the _News of the Lepidopterists
> Society_, we would like to list a correction.  In the article concerning
> John Kemner that appeared on p. 95, paragraph 3, last line, DELETE, "Like
> the U. S".  Mexico requires collecting permits for all fauna and flora,
> including insects.  Collecting permits are required in certain states in
> the U. S. or while collecting in National Forests and/or State and
> National Parks.  Please check with the appropriate fish and wildlife
> agency in your state concerning these regulations and whether they include
> insects.
>
>         A future issue of the _News_ will be devoted to permits and
> regulations.
>
> Dr. Jacqueline Y. Miller
> Allyn Museum of Entomology/FLMNH
> 3621 Bay Shore Road
> Sarasota, FL 34234
> Voice/FAX: (813) 355-8475
> email: [email-masked]
>

---

From: "Jackie Miller (NC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 09:39:50 -0500

Further information concerning the clarification posted below.  The
article published was summarized for publication from a very long fax
forwarded by USFWS.  The part of the statement deleted was not contained
in the original fax/press release.