Subject: Culturing Spodoptera

From: Paul Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 19:29:39 +0100

I wonder if you Lep. people out there can help.
I was discussing with a colleague today possible (inexpensive) ways to
produce larger numbers and a  more healthy culture of Spodoptera littoralis.
 At present adults lay eggs on tissue paper and then individual egg masses
are cut out and sterilised in 1% bleach solution.  After this larvae are kept
in 300ml. disposable (clear) plastic containers and fed upon a standard
maize/wheatgerm/yeast powder diet ,which contains antioxidants and
antibiotic components, arrived at after testing many different formulations.
Larvae are reduced in density (within the pots) as they grow larger and
5th/6th instars are left to pupate in trays containing sawdust.  Pupae are
then sterilised (in 1% bleach solution) before being placed in cages.  As you
can probably imagine this is a very time consuming process and generates
a vast quantity of containers. It is necessary to separate the larvae up until
the 5th/6th instar to prevent the spread of a virus within the population.
Does anyone have any ideas how this method could be improved ?
Is anyone studying the virus ?
We would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks.

***************************************************

Paul Green ([email-masked])
                 ([email-masked])

***************************************************