Subject: Polyphemus Predator

From: MS SALLY O LEVINSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:51:06 -0500

I've recently learned that bats live in downtown Berkeley.  They
could certainly live where ever you are.  Don't count them out as
predators!--Sally

---

From: James Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:12:39 CST

Tue, 25 Jun 1996  DTDerekson <[email-masked]>

> Do you have blue jays and were diurnal birds up at all before you checked
> the cage? I know blue jays will eat them if you don't protect them.

Hello,

    I would suspect a nocturnal beast (I vote cat) since the males
seldom stick around until morning unless they are the one mating the
female.

    Just a side note: a couple of years ago I noticed a pair of
Yellow-Billed Cuckoo's attacking and eating male Callosamia promethea
that were coming to a calling female in the late afternoon.  These
Cuckoos actually learned how to unfasten the wire twist-ties on my
sleeves (on trees) which housed Saturniid larvae!  Sadly one of the
two died when it struck a window while persuing C. promethea.  They
were really good as a team, and after one was gone, the other
disappeared.

Yours in Cuckoo lore,
Jim Kruse