Subject: Jones and E. aurinia

From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:47:15 -0700

After addressing the latest assault by Jones et.al, on me, I remembered
the posting I had sent to Neil Jones earlier - interesting how Jones
delights in responding by parading his fervent anti-collecting dogma, yet
has failed to respond to a much more pertinent subject more directly
about butterflies - and of more interest to LEPS-L than his usual diatribe.
Perhaps I am wrong, and Mr. Jones forgot to respond to my inquiry below;
for this reason I re-post this question in the hopes that Mr. Jones will
answer it (and if this is indeed the case, my apologies in advance).

But now, Mr. Jones' behavior begs me to add a couple more questions...
1.  Neil, do you have a butterfly collection?  If, so, how large?
2.  Neil, do you actively collect butterfly or insect specimens?  If you
    don't anymore, did you collect at some point in the past?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 19:30:05 -0700 (MST)
From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
To: Neil Jones <[email-masked]>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list LEPS-L <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Value of E. aurinia

Neil Jones brings up a good point for another use for butterflies, that
is of course to study them; in particular the genetic phenomenom with a
population of E. aurinia.

Neil, could you please tell us a bit more about materials and methods
used in the study you intend to publish.  By the way, which journal will
it be published in and when might we expect its publication date?  Did
you have to make physical uses of some subject specimens or were you able
to culminate your findings totally on observations alone?  Did you use
any dead, dried, pinned specimens from various collections for your study?
is there any discussion about any economic benefits from this study?
Might genetic engineering indeed be able to reconstruct extinct bugs
(like those that were only preserved in collections) by gene splicing, or
other methods?  Sounds really interesting, tell us more about your paper.

Sincerely,

Tom