Subject: FAQ: A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources

From: [email-masked] (Una Smith)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 16:55:29 GMT

How to Get
		A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources

                     Current versions:  1.7 and 1.8a

The free, 40-page Guide contains an overview and lists of free Internet
resources such as:  scientific discussion groups, including newsgroups
and mailing lists;  research newsletters, directories, and bibliographies;
the major biological data and software archives;  tools for finding and
retrieving information;  answers to some frequently asked questions;  and
a bibliography of useful books and Internet documents.

The Guide is available in several versions.  The most recent complete
release is Version 1.7, dated November 1993.  It is available as a plain 
ASCII file for easy retrieval and printing of the entire document, as a
menu for reading online (via both gopher and WWW), and in an attractive
PostScript format (for laser printing).  There is a French translation.
The most recent release (about mailing lists only) is Version 1.8a, dated
December 1994:  this ammends but does not supercede Version 1.7.

The Guide is available on the Internet, and can be obtained with a Web
browser, gopher, anonymous FTP, and e-mail.  There is no fee.

-*- Web (aka Mosaic, hypertext):  Use this URL, then follow the Gopher
    instructions below:

		gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/

-*- Gopher:  Go to sunsite.unc.edu, and choose this sequence of menu items:

		Worlds of SunSITE -- by Subject
			Ecology and Evolution
				A Biologist's Guide...

    Or, from any gopher offering other biology gophers by subject, look
    for the menu item "Ecology and Evolution".  Here is the direct link
    information:

		Name=A Biologist's Guide (in a choice of formats)
		Type=1
		Path=1/../.pub/academic/biology/ecology+evolution/bioguide
		Host=sunsite.unc.edu
		Port=70

    Sunsite.unc.edu offers public telnet access to their gopher client
    (and Wais and hypertext clients as well!), if you don't have your own.
    Telnet to sunsite.unc.edu and read the instructions before the login
    prompt.

-*- Anonymous FTP:  Connect to sunsite.unc.edu.  Give the username "anonymous"
    and your e-mail address as the password.  Use the "cd" command to go to
    the directory

		pub/academic/biology/ecology+evolution/bioguide

    and use "get bioguide.faq" to copy the ASCII version of the Guide to
    your computer.  Use "get bioguide.ps" for the PostScript version, or
    see the README file for more information.

-*- E-mail:  Send the text:

		open
		cd pub/academic/biology/ecology+evolution/bioguide
		get bioguide.faq
		get README
		quit
    to:
		[email-masked]

    You will receive the Guide in several parts:  save each part separately,
    use a text editor to delete the e-mail headers and trailers of each,
    and merge them.  You will also receive the README file from the same
    directory as the Guide, and a help file for using the ftpmail service.
    Use "quit" to prevent the ftpmail server from trying to interpret your
    signature as an instruction.  For help using the ftpmail server, use
    "help" (you will be sent e-mail containing many helpful tips).

-*- Usenet:  When they come out, new versions of the Guide are posted to
    several Usenet newsgroups.  Look in sci.bio.

-- 
	Una Smith			[email-masked]

Department of Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT  06520-8104  USA