Subject: Butterflies in the rain

From: Gary Fewless <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 09:02:02 -0500

I think the answer for "where do butterflies go when it rains" must include
several categories of response.  I am primarily a botanist, and I sometimes
find resting butterflies within the vegetation while searching for
plants.  I have seen some of our woodland species such as Compton's
tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vau-album) and northern pearly eye (Enodia anthedon)
resting on tree trunks, head downward with wings folded straight up over the
back during modest, warm rains.

    On open cobble beaches along Lake Michigan I
saw at least a dozen Buckeyes (Junonia coenia) resting with wings straight up
over the back, standing on limestone rocks right out in the open during a
moderate warm rain lasting several hours.  They were understandably reluctant
to fly away and I was able to observe them closely.  They appeared to be none
the worse for the experience.

     I have also seen the bronze copper (Hyllocaena hyllus) resting near the
ground within dense grassy vegetation (a planted prairie) immediately following
a rain -- presumably it had found shelter there during the rain.

Gary Fewless  [email-masked]