Subject: Re: Books on Butterflies

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 Mar 1996 15:08:54 GMT

Fri, 22 Mar 1996 23:20:59 +0800
Yue Seong Swee <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The Nature Society of Singapore has embarked on a survey of butterflies in
>SIngapore. Many of my friends, who are members of this Society are involved
>in the survey of the butterflies and their foodplants in Singapore.

>At this moment, the books on butterflies in this part of the world are
>rather rare. I would appreciate if you could recommend any books on
>butterflies, especially on those in Singapore and this part of the world.

I am an amateur who researches on the Southeast Asian Lycaenidae.  For
 a picture book of Singaporian butterfly, the following articles are 
available.

1. Corbet & Pendlebury (Revised by Eliot) 1992. The butterflies of the
 Malay Peninsula. 4th edn. Kuala Lumpur.

2. Fleming, 1983. Butterflies of West Malaysia & Singapore. 2nd edn. 
Kuala Lumpur.

About these, as you are aware of it well already, I think.  

In Sundaland area, Singapore is included in, the next picture book may
 be useful.

3. Otsuka et al., Butterflies of Borneo, Vol.1(1988), Vol.2(1991). 
Tokyo.

I'm one of the authors.

Yusuke TAKANAMI
e-mail: [email-masked]
(B