Subject: Re: Tropical butterflies

From: "Orville G. Marti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:29:31 EDT

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:34:14 +0000 Stuart Warrington said:
>Dear Leps,
>Can anyone help me.
>An expedition to Guyana in South America would like to know if there is a
>guidebook to butterflies of Guyana or the south american rainforests.
>Also help is requested on how to monitor, catch or attract tropical
>butterflies.

   There is "Butterflies of the World", by H.L. Lewis (Harrison House
   Publ. Co.).  It's not exactly a field guide.  My copy is sitting
   on my coffee table at home.  It's full of fine pictures and seems quite
   comprehensive, tho I am not an authority on Leps.
>
>The students will be looking at gaps in the canopy for vegetation &
>butterfly diversity.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>
>Dr Stuart Warrington
>Department of Environmental Sciences
>University of Hertfordshire,
>Hatfield.  AL10 9AB
>United Kingdom.
>Fax  01707 284514
>Tel  01707 284137

--
************************************************************************
Orville G. Marti, Jr.          P.O. Box 748
Microbiologist                 Tifton, Ga.  31793
Phone: 912-387-2328 (office)   INTERNET: [email-masked]
Phone: 912-387-2350 (lab)      FAX: 912-387-2321

    There are in fact two things, science and opinion;
    the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance.
                                  .........Hippocrates
*************************************************************************

---

From: Paul Opler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:53:07 -0600

The best sources of identification for tropical butterflies
         are the several volumes on Neotropical Butterflies by Bernard
         D'Abrera. They are available through many book dealers. Try
         BioQuip, Entomological Reprint Specialists, or E.W. Classey
         on the Web.  Also try the Lepodpterists' Scoiety home page on
         the web for hyperlinks to other sources.  Paul Opler,
         National Biological Service

---

From: "Charles V. Covell Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:37:55 EDT

Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONE: (502) 852-6771
A brief, recent book without too much information or very thorough
distribution info. but good color photos of representative non-skippers
butterflies of S. America is D'Abrera's BUTTERFLIES OF SOUTH AMERICA,
available from BioQuip for about $20.  A useful starter book.  Cheers,
Charlie

Charles V. Covell Jr.   [email-masked]
Dept. of Biology, University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292-0001   PHONE: (502) 852-6771 (office)
(502) 852-0725 (FAX); (502) 456-6122 (home).  "So many bugs..."