Subject: Search for spicebush swallowtail--HELP!

From: [email-masked] (Kerri Ann Vacher)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 14:39:35 GMT

Hello-

I am a student at the University of Rochester studying the pupal color
dimorphism and diapause behavior in the spicebush swallowtail.  I
desperately need members of the species to study this interesting life
history characteristic in the lab.  I've been searching for weeks and have
only seen 5 and have been unable to catch any.  If you have any advice on
finding, catching or references to review, please respond.  To fed ex
members of the species:

Kerri Vacher
c/o John Jaenike
Biology Department
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY
14627

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kerri Vacher
[email-masked] 

From Pravin Fatnani Tue Jun 18 10:14:26 EDT 1996
Article: 4586 of sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!concert!rutgers!sgigate.sgi.com!uhog.mit.edu!news.mathworks.com!newsfeed.internetmci.com!zdc!zippo!drn
From: Pravin Fatnani
Newsgroups: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Subject: Behaviour & adaptation of CAVE FAUNA
Date: 12 Jun 1996 21:50:27 -0700
Organization: ZippoCentre for Advanced Technology
Lines: 5
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 202.41.111.66

Want information about "Feeding and cave building behaviour of cave adapted taenid"
I am searching this info for someone else and don't where exactly to find it
Your help is highly apprciated.
::Pravin Fatnani
[email-masked]

From Pravin Fatnani Tue Jun 18 10:14:26 EDT 1996
Article: 4587 of sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!concert!rutgers!sgigate.sgi.com!uhog.mit.edu!news.mathworks.com!newsfeed.internetmci.com!zdc!zippo!drn
From: Pravin Fatnani
Newsgroups: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
Subject: Behaviour & adaptation of CAVE FAUNA
Date: 12 Jun 1996 21:51:23 -0700
Organization: ZippoCentre for Advanced Technology
Lines: 5
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 202.41.111.66

Want information about "Feeding and cave building behaviour of cave adapted taenid"
I am searching this info for someone else and don't where exactly to find it
Your help is highly appreciated.
::Pravin Fatnani
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (ET2JS)
Date: 13 Jun 1996 23:00:15 -0400

Sorry, no extra troilus to send, but an anecdote.  In the summer of 1991 I
reared several Papilio polyxenes from ova collected in the wild(watched
the female laying).  Location: Caribou, Maine.
It was the summer brood, ova deposited in mid-June.  Six larvae reared to
pupation in the same enclosure, fed the same diet, same climate, etc. 
Three pupae were brown, three were green.   All adults emerged over a
three day period, none over-wintered.  Here's the sexes of the adults:
Green pupae:  2 M, 1 F
Brown pupae: 1 M, 2 F.

So, Brown pupae may overwinter more successfully than green, but based on
my limited experience with one species, it seemed random.

Good luck,  Joel