Subject: Re: please help identify moth fly

From: Patrick Roper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 22:28:31 +0100

>     My house has been invaded by a very small black fly that when crushed,
>has the powdery charactaristics of a moth.  These things started showing up in
>the house around Christmas and we haven't been able to eradicate them yet.  If
>someone could tell me more about them, what they are, maybe that would help.
>
>      I was told they were moth flies and that they lay their eggs in water
>(drains).  We were told to dump lysol, clorox, pine sol, etc down the drains.
>We have but they still show back up.  I think they're laying eggs or whatever
>on other surfaces than drains, because we close up the drains, and they
>still show up.  They don't seem to live long, but they seem to reproduce fast.
>I almost think they're growing on the shower tiles but at this point, I could
>be seeing things.
>
>     My exterminator is perplexed and so am I.  I hope someone can help.
>Also, I do have septic tank and am on well water, but I don't think the water
>is the problem.  They are worst in the bathtubs and showers.  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated.  Either post up or email to: [email-masked]

It sounds as though your flies are members of the family Psychodidae, often
known as moth or owl flies.  There are many different species and they breed
in wet places, drains, sewage beds, cow dung etc.

They do come indoors from time to time, often attracted by lights at night,
but are normally no more of a nusiance than any other insect.  We have a
septic tank and a well here and loads of Psychodids, but they only come
indoors under exceptional circumstances and have never been a problem.

It sounds to me as though there may be a place where they are breeding
(somewhere under the house?) where, when they emerge, they can only get
indoors.  The first thing to do is to try and find exactly how they are
getting in and you might only have to block the hole up.  The things are so
abundant in the wider environment that trying to exterminate them is a waste
of time.

One solution might be to adopt the study of the family as a hobby.  Much
work remains to be done on the group and it could keep you so busy you
wouldn't have time to worry too much about the invasion.  They are also a
difficult group and therefore challenging, but you could become a world expert!

All the best,

Patrick Roper
============================================================
South View, Sedlescombe, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0PE, UK
Telephone:  (01424) 870208; Fax: (01424) 870208
Email: [email-masked]
============================================================