Subject: Re: H. columbia

From: Anthony Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 12:28:41 -0500

At 09:59 PM 12/7/96 -0500, Bob Curry wrote:
>On 5 Dec 1996 in answer to Patrick Marceau's request James Kruse states that
>cocoons of H. columbia may be found "around the bases of tamaracks in
>winter".  Does this mean underground or in the frozen sphagnum or on the
>surface or what?
>
        In the Fredericton area on New Brunswick, Canada, I have found the
easiest way to find columbia is to check areas where tamaracks grow
vigourously and are about 6-15 feet in height. This usually means along
power line rights-of-way and roadside verges, and areas recovering from
clear-cuts. I have had no luck finding columbia on the slow-growing
tamaracks in bogs. I have found most pupae at heights from about 3 - 15
feet, and about equally divided between horizontal branches and the upright
stem. I believe the trick to finding them is to examine as many trees as
possible. Quickly walk around a tree scanning the bracnches and trunk for
"bumps". Don't spend more than about 15 seconds per tree.
Tony
Dr. A.W. Thomas
Canadian Forest Service-Atlantic Forestry Centre
Natural Resources Canada
P.O. Box 4000
Fredericton
New Brunswick
E3B 5P7

e-mail [email-masked]
'phone (506) 452-3523
FAX    (506) 452-3525