Subject: IMS

From: "Charles V. Covell Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 12:48:15 EDT

Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONE: (502) 852-6771

----------------------------Original message----------------------------
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 11:35:13 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Originator: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: IMS

For those interested in collections and collections management.

>From the latest ASC Washington Initiative:

Due to budgetary constraints, IMS has cancelled its fall deadline for
Conservation Project Support.  The next deadline will be March 1, 1996.
There will be no fall deadline until further notice.  For info on the
program contact IMS at (202) 606-8539.

Also of note:
The House approved an Interior Appropritions Bill that provides $21 million
for IMS, a 27% cut for IMS.  There were several attempts to eliminate IMS,
but they failed.  The Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee has
developed a plan that would join IMS with the Library Services and
Construction Act program that now resides in the Dept. of Education.  The
new agency would be called the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
It would have separate divisions for museum and library programs, each
administered by a deputy.  Current intent is to continue to handle
appropriations separately for the two programs.  The library program
currently receives about $100 million compared with the House IMS
appropriation for 1996 of $21 million.  While there are risks that museums
could be overshadowed by the larger library program, there are also
benefits in joining the constituencies for libraries and museums.

Brett Ratcliffe
IMS representative, University of Nebraska
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Brett C. Ratcliffe
Curator & Professor
Systematics Research Collections
W436 Nebraska Hall
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0514  U.S.A.

TEL: (402) 472-2614
FAX: (402) 472-8949
INTERNET: [email-masked]
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=