Subject: A better solution (fwd)

From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:09:31 -0700

For those of you on Leps-l who have been complaining about the postings
regarding that never-ending issue of the USFWS/law enforcement, and
collecting, here is your big opportunity (once again) to DO SOMETHING
about it (at least U.S. citizens).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:03:17 -0700 (MST)
From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
To: Entomology Discussion List <[email-masked]>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list ENTOMO-L <[email-masked]>
Subject: A better solution

Ratcliffe just doesn't get it.  He, and certain others seem to think that
just punishing and condemning one person is somehow going to solve all of
our problems.  To bad that he doesn't realize that many of the USFWS and
certain radical organizations believe that whether you kill one insect or
several thousand - to them its MURDER; the legal issues at question are
only a means to legitimize their extreme positions - that NO insect
should be killed under ANY circumstances.  Forget the contrived
"scientific" arguements that endangered bugs should not be collected to
protect them (depite the fact there is no documented case of insect
extirpation of this sort), the anti-collectors are on an EMOTIONAL
crusade to ban ALL collecting.  Too bad that Mr. Ratcliff cheers them on.

     Let me (re)enlight (and relieve) Mr. Ratcliff by directing this poor
soul of short attention span and memory to my original Oct 31, 1995
posting and subsequent messages, where indeed I have admitted culpability
for a few offenses committed years ago 1984-87, involving only about 30
or so seized bugs (out of about 1,500).  I didn't take these few laws I
was aware of seriously many years ago, but I do take them seriously now.
But tell me Brett, how can I admit culpability for things I didn't even
know, like the Lacey Act, or collecting in Mexico being a U.S.
violation?  Perhaps I should also apologize for the 40 other unindicted
"co-conspirators" in the indictment - what about the thousands of other
entomologists who are "criminals"?  What about the USFWS officials who
even gave us false info regarding the laws in the past?  But somehow,
this all seems to be too complicated for Brett, who wants to blame a
massive problem of this sort all on Mr. Kral.

     Perhaps we can shut up everyone here on the net by turning this
problem over to a Congressional investigation into this matter, and let
congress investigate these allegations.  many of you should know that
Brett Ratcliff is quite the POLITICAL LOBBYIST himself, comming on-line
now and then to encourage us all (in the U.S) to contact our congressman
or senator about the pending passage of various laws.  Wouldn't it indeed
be refreshing to have Mr. Ratcliff make an extraordinary effort to get
congress to investigate the problems the USFWS is causing entomology, as
well as the massive improprieties and abuses of USFWS agents like John
Mendoza and Chris Nagano, towards collecting - and thats just a START if
we want to preserve science and entomology.  Come on Brett, please get
involved by contacting congress about my claims rather than taking the
wimpy way out by merely complaining on the net.  And if you don't think
that getting a full-blown congressional investigation going isn't a good
idea, please come on-line publically and tell us WHY.

     i'm also curious as to WHY Ratcliff blames me and NEVER anybody else
with regards to "hauling this arguement out onto the net" - remember that
this recent thread on the Audubon article was was instigated by the
malice of others, not me.  Why don't you complain about Gerry Rising, the
main perpetrator?  Tell us Mr. Ratcliff, whose payroll are you on
anyway?  I'm very curious.

In summary, to Mr. Ratcliff, and many others apprehensive about this
issue: Why don't you be part of the solution, rather than part of the
problem?  Lets get some REAL investigations and legislation going - write
your congressman and senator, and encourage others to do so as well -
here is your real chance to set this whole issue straight, make it happen
- either put up, or shut up!

Sincerely,

Tom

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Brett Ratcliffe wrote:

> Kral just doesn't get it.  Wouldn't it be enlightening (and a relief) if he
> would accept culpability for his transgressions . . . and shut up.
> =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
> Brett C. Ratcliffe
> Curator & Professor
> Systematics Research Collections
> W436 Nebraska Hall
> University of Nebraska
> Lincoln, NE 68588-0514  U.S.A.
>
> TEL: (402) 472-2614
> FAX: (402) 472-8949
> INTERNET: [email-masked]
>
> Visit the Division of Entomology at:  http://www-museum.unl.edu
> =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
>