Subject: Help! Looking for resources.

From: [email-masked] (Mark Bolstad)
Date: 04 Apr 1995 14:16:33 GMT

Howdy,

I'm a computer graphics/ scientific visualization researcher with an interest
in butterflies. I'm currently working on a project that is attempting to 
model irridescent reflection of light. I thought it would be pretty spiffy to
test the theory using some modelled butterflies. So, I've poked the net and
have ran out of options. Here are the things that I'm looking for:

A close-up photo of an irridescent butterfly's wing (a morpho perhaps).

I'd really like something like an image from an electron microscope 
  showing the wing structure.

A contact for purchasing samples (I've heard of South American butterfly farms)

Thanks for any help.

Mark Bolstad
--
--
   Mark Bolstad
   Visualization Specialist
   Martin Marietta Technical Services 
   [email-masked]
   (919)-541-3604

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry M. Brodkin)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 07:33:08 -0700

Mark Bolstad ([email-masked]) wrote:
(portion deleted)

:Here are the things that I'm looking for:

: A close-up photo of an irridescent butterfly's wing (a morpho perhaps).

: I'd really like something like an image from an electron microscope 
:   showing the wing structure.

: A contact for purchasing samples (I've heard of South American butterfly farms)

A book you may find helpful:
Nijhout, H. Frederik, THE DEVELOPMENT AND EVOLUTION OF BUTTERFLY WING 
PATTERNS.  Published 1991, paperback version is $20.00 - available from 
BIOQUIP, Los Angeles <[email-masked]>

Good luck!
-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
	Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
			33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List