Subject: Re: Wanted: info and photos on H. columbia

From: Paul Opler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 14:13:57 -0700

Please refer to the recent book on North American Saturniidae
         (1996) by Tuskes et al. Cornell University Press. Also see
         images and map at http://www.npsc.nbs.gov   Paul Opler

---

From: Ron Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:55:32 -0600

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Patrick Marceau wrote:

> I search any information (habitat, experience, biology ect.) on Hyalophora
> columbia and photos (larvae, eggs, cocoons and adults)
>
> write to: [email-masked]

I successfully reared approximately 200 F1 H. cecropia females x wild H.
columbia males in Aitkin County Wisconsin about 18 years ago. I started
with H. cecropia female stock (intentionally small individuals) provided by
Bob Weast (Iowa). I photographed all stages of the hybrids (35mm
transparencies) with the possible exception of ova (I can't recall). If you
are interested in photos of hybrids, I'd be happy to dig them out and look
through the material. Aitkin County, Minnesota, is pure Tamarack Bog for
1000s upon 1000s of hectares, and H. columbia was abundant. Nevertheless, I
never located a wild female and was therefore unable to breed even a single
pure H. columbia.

**********************************************************************
     __       __
    /  \     /  \    Ronald Alan Royer
   |   o\\ //o   |   Professor in the Division of Science
    \____\o/____/    Minot State University, Minot ND 58707
    /    /O\    \    701-858-3209 (Desk), 3161 (Office)
    \_  / | \  _/    701-839-6933 (FAX)
    '\\/     \//'    <[email-masked]>
     /         \

**********************************************************************

"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift