Subject: First sightings

From: "Jerry W. Nagel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 08:37:45 GMT-5

Northeast corner of Tennessee.  1st sightings for the first half of
April.  Generally warm (65-80), sunny and very little rain.

Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor) - April 10
Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus) - April 10
Harvester (Feniseca tarquinius) - April 15
Eastern Tailed Blue (Everes comyntas) - April 10
American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis) - April 14
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - April 15 - colonist in this area
Monarch (Danaus plexippus) - April 15 - very worn
Juvenal's Duskywing (Erynnis juvenalis) - April 3

---

From: "David B. Richman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 08:31:26 -0600

Here are some more first sightings from Las Cruces, Dona Ana Co., New
Mexico.  El. 3900'.

Apr. 7, 1995. Pyrgus communis.  Noon. 70 F. New Mexico State University
Campus.

Apr. 8, 1995.  (already reported on Monarch sightings)  Danaus
plexippus.  6 PM MDT. 70 F, windy.  Mesilla Park.

Apr. 13, 1995.  Danaus gilippus. No weather data.  New Mexico State
University.

Apr. 14, 1995.  Euptoieta claudia.  9 AM, 70 f, calm.  Mesilla-Mesilla
Park.  Also Colias sp. and others already reported.

We are having a relatively small migration of Vanessa cardui as well as a
small number of Vanessa atalanta.

David B. Richman
The Arthropod Museum
Dept. of Entomology, Plant Pathology and Weed Science
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003