Subject: Re: The Smoking Butterfly

From: Mark Fairbrother FCTS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:06:04 -0500

I agree with Norbert Kondla's views on the Williams article except
regarding Jeff Glassberg.  While I too was sorry to see Mr. Glassberg and
NABA get space in this article, I DON'T doubt that he knew exactly what he
was doing.  First of all, he is far too intelligent to be duped in such a
way.  Secondly, his desire to see collecting stopped is well known; he
seldom passes up a chance to ridicule anyone with a net.  To be quoted in
what was basically an anti-collecting article by a well known author in a
prominate magazine such as AUDUBON would be a ripe plum indeed.

Mark Fairbrother

Turners Falls, MA  USA

---

From: "Denise B. Stoeckel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:16:20 -0600

Thank you for your well written comments on the article in AUDOBON.  I plan
to write a letter to the editor concerning my outrage at such propoganda.  I
was planning to pass out copies of the article to our 32 AmeriCorps members
of the Illinois RiverWatch Network.  Now I will add a copy of your message
to go along with it.

Denise Boulet Stoeckel,Ph.D.,Stream Macroinvertebrate Zoologist
Illinois Natural History Survey, Forbes Biological Station, 17500 E CR 1950
N, Havana, IL 62644
[email-masked], 309-543-3950