Subject: Summer Field Course in Alpine Insect Ecology

From: Peg Halloran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:26:21 -0700

The University of Colorado's Mountain Research Station is located 25
miles west of Boulder, Colorado in the Rocky Mountains at an altitude of
9,500 feet. It is only a short distance from the Continental Divide and
is surrounded by the Roosevelt National Forest. Many course trips and
much of the research take place in the adjacent Niwot Ridge Biosphere
Reserve, which is a site for the Long Term Ecological Research program
sponsored by the National Science Foundation. Classrooms, laboratories,
computers, a bookstore, and a library are located in the John Marr Alpine
Laboratory, which is surrounded by rustic cabins.

Each field course at the Station enrolls from 8 - 20 students, and
emphasizes informal interaction with the instructors and fellow students.
All courses are upper division and credit is readily transferable to other
institutions. The same fee structure ($595.00 - 975.00 per course) is
applied to both out of state and in state residents.  Most of the courses
include room and board. Of particular interest to entomology students is 
our Alpine Insect Ecology course taught by Dr. Dana Garrigan. The cost 
for the course is $895 and includes room and board.

The schedule of courses for Summer 1995 is:

Dendrochronology (2 cr)    6/5 - 6/15
Forest Ecology (3 cr)      6/5 - 6/22
Field Ornithology (2 cr)     6/19 - 6/29
Alpine Insect Ecology (2 cr)   6/26 - 7/13
Plant Field Studies (3 cr)    7/3 - 7/20
Mountain Geomorphology (3 cr)  7/5 - 7/29
Field Ecology (3 cr)      7/10 - 8/8
Landscape Ecology (3 cr)   7/17 - 7/27
Limnology Field Techniques (3 cr)   7/31 - 8/17
Geologic Field Techniques (3 cr)   8/7 - 8/18

To obtain additional information about these courses, please call, write
or email:

Dr. Peg Halloran, Assistant Director
University of Colorado Mountain Research Station
818 County Road 116
Nederland, CO 80466
(303) 492-8841
email: [email-masked]

or 
Dr. Dana Garrigan, University of Colorado
(303) 492-5530
email: [email-masked]

Thanks!
Peg