Subject: Re: LIGHT TRAP FOR MOTHS

From: [email-masked] (Gaden Robinson)
Date: 11 Jul 1995 10:28:06 GMT

>
>Wed, 5 Jul 1995  KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
>writes:
>I would appreciate help in locating and purchasing an old U.V.
>tanning light. 

May I suggest very strongly that you don't fool with this unless you are 
looking for serious retinal damage. This is not going to get things that 
other safer light-sources don't reach!

In my (tropical) experience Saturniidae only really start to move about 
3.30am and you have to be particularly dedicated/crazy to go for them 
night after night, especially when all the rest of the goodies are gone 
by 11pm.

Jim has lots of sound advice on hardware. We have a paper appearing 
shortly in Tropical Biodiversity on how to build a 
Robinson-pattern light-trap for under US$30 using a wastepaper bin and a 
banknote verification lamp and four torch batteries. But this is a very 
low-power rig and I would not expect it to draw in Saturniidae. E-mail me 
direct if you'd like further details.

---

From: Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:16:57 -0700

> direct if you'd like further details.

Gaden-
Perhaps if this trap is not too complicated you could post instructions
on Leps-L.
I really hesitate to ask as I am subscribed to the hilt with journals and
magazines.  Can you tell me about "Tropical Biodiversity"?
Cheers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
                        33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List