Subject: Re: Mating habits of spicebush swallowtails?

From: [email-masked] (Marvin Walker)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 00:15:41 GMT

"Jon Timko" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>DTDerekson <[email-masked]> wrote in article
><[email-masked]>...
>> Yesterday a friend and I happened upon a field where there were several
>> pairs of spicebush swallowtails doing what appeared to be a courtship
>> dance. We didn't hang around for the entire process, as I know some
>> butterflies have a rather lengthy one. But the behavior was interesting.
>> First it seemed like the males were intent upon colliding with the
>females
>> from above and making them light on the ground. But then some males were
>> hovering close to the ground and flapping their wings and the female
>> seemed to be following after, a little higher and back frmo the
>male...... 

>I have observed the same behaviors but it's interesting to note that males
>are often the ones to "dance" with each other. I have trapped several of
>these pairs and each time participants were male. Perhaps it's a teritorial
>related behavior.

>I am not an expert, only supplying my observations so I too would be
>interested if anyone has more info on these behaviors.

When mine breed, the females are usually very receptive to the males.
The females rest on a surface and the males desend. And coupling is
usually very quick. They do remain coupled for some time anywhere from
30 minutes to two hours or so.

Of course I contain realtively large numbers of newly emerged
Spicebush in my butterfly house. This proximity may explain the rapid
initiation of breeding.

I have not observed males "dancing" but haven't been looking for it
either. Will from now on.

Marv ~The Butterfly Guy~ Walker
"[email-masked]"