Subject: Re: Question from the 8th grade...

From: Gerry Rising <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 19:54:44 -0400

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, MR GOFF wrote:
> Are all moths nocturnal, and all butterflies diurnal?

Dear Mr. Goff,

   Even I as a non-specialist know the answer to that question: it is
simply NO. Most butterflies are day fliers, most moths fly at night, but
there are many exceptions. Here where I live in western New York, we see
many irridescent black Virginia ctenucha moths in the daytime and several
less common moths of the sphinx or hawk moth family are daytime nectar
feeders that are often mistaken for hummingbirds. I believe that there
are fewer examples of nocturnally active butterflies, but I do
know that the caterpillars of some fritillaries feed only at night.

Specialists may give you more complete answers.

Regards, Gerry

Gerry Rising                                  phone: 716-689-8301
295 Robinhill Drive                        messages: 716-645-3175
Williamsville, NY 14221-1639                    fax: 716-645-3161
---- e-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]