Subject: Re: Highest butterflies

From: William Calvert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 12:24:22 -0500

With regard to reports of the highest butterflies, I would point out that
the entire population of North American monarch butterflies east of the
Rocky Mountains overwinters at ca. 3000 meters between 19 and 20 degrees
north latitude in Mexico. This is clearly not the record, but there are a
lot of butterflies up there.
Bill Calvert

---

From: KENELM W PHILIP <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 15:16:05 -0800

A while ago, someone asked for information on the highest, northern-
most, and southernmost butterflies. I supplied data on the northernmost, but
did not have information on the southernmost.
        This week, I talked with Art Shapiro, who has been doing a lot of
work in the south end of South America. He sent me a list of the three most
southern species of butterflies, as follows:

_Yramea cytheris_ (Nymphalidae, a fritillary)
_Tatochila theodice staudingeri (Pieridae)

Both the above from Puerto Williams, Isla Navarino, Chile 54 57' S, 67 39' W.

_Colias vauthieri cunninghami_ (Pieridae)

>From  Puerto del Hambre, Peninsula Brunswick, Chile 53 50' S, 71 08' W.

                                                        Ken Philip
[email-masked]