Subject: Re: LIGHT TRAP FOR MOTHS

From: "Michael K. Oliver" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jul 1995 00:19:29 GMT

> Try wide-spectrum gro-lites that are available in garden supply stores...
> they're cheaper, too.

Some years ago I tried a Gro-Lux fluorescent light on a sheet (having 
previously tried various other fluorescents and a UV) and found it to
be very effective -- for beetles, anyway (sorry, I wasn't paying attention
to the moths).  I can't prove it or quantify it, but it seemed to attract
species I never found any other way.  I wonder how much is now known
about whether different wavelength ranges attract different insects (and
why).  Certainly some beetle species are attracted to lights as different as
UV, fluorescent, incancdescent, and even yellow incandescent [anti-]"bug"
lights; but then again others do seem to come only to one or another type.
Or is it just stochastic what comes to what light, within broad limits?

---

From: Andrew Stagg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 09:41:17 GMT

I have a Heath portable trap obtainable here in the UK the results so far have been excellent.
If you want more info, please mail me.

Andrew Stagg