Subject: Puddling Butterflies & other insects

From: John Measey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 16:03:18 GMT

In a drying African savanna scene there is a real need for insects
to gather water. Butterflies puddle, and are well know for it
(although they don't collect water do they?), but what is known of
other insects?

I am trying to find some references for insects going to water to 
drink. Anything at all will do! I was wondering especially if 
termites, or any other social insects, go to ponds to fetch water
for thier mounds. If I shut my eyes I can visualise great lines
of termites going down to the water hole to fetch water. What I 
really need to know is; Is it true?

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Yanega)
Date: 8 May 1995 14:52:33 GMT

> really need to know is; Is it true?

Virtually all of the social insects with large exposed nests will gather
water, including vespine and polistine wasps, stingless bees, honeybees,
ants...and I can only presume termites, as well. There are also a *large*
number of solitary Hymenoptera that construct nests of mud, especially
eumenines and several different sphecids.
-- 
Doug Yanega
Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Biodiversity
607 E. Peabody Dr. Champaign, IL 61820  USA
"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is
    the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick