Subject: Re: Laws about collecting, Kral, NABA

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:14:27 -0500

>I am sorry to see a potentially interesting and important topic get
>bogged down in personal attacks and innuendo.  I think that
>information about the laws regarding collecting would be very useful
>to the list if presented in an objective manner.  The presentation of
>the F&WS as a bunch of incompetent bozos is misleading as well as
>incorrect.  It may be that certain members of the enforcement
>community did overreact and participate in a "witch hunt".  It may
>also be that some of these laws are ridiculous.  Mr. Kral would be
>much more successful in presenting his case if he would present the
>laws and how the F&WS is enforcing them.  We could then communicate
>with our legislators where it seems appropriate.  This might result
>in changes in the offending laws or in their enforcement.
>
>I also find Mr. Kral's lumping of NABA with PETA to be a blatant
>misrepresentation.  The fact that Jeffrey Glassberg feels that
>collecting should be banned hardly makes that a principle goal of
>NABA.  I'm president of the NABA-Bay Area Chapter here in San
>Francisco, and while we don't promote collecting, we don't oppose
>responsible, law abiding collecting either.  I'm not currently a
>collector, however I was in the past and I can see that much valuable
>information can be gathered from collecting.  I also can see much
>valuable information being gathered by observation, particularly as
>we become more informed on how to identify butterflies in the field.
> There is room for both collectors and observers in the world of
>butterfly study.
>
>
>
>--
>David Powell
>Half Moon Bay, CA
>[email-masked]
>
David speaks eloquently about NABA.  I wish I had written the above.
Alan Gregory
*************************************************************************
Gregory                 "Let us begin. Let us restore the Earth. Let the
Penn State Hazleton       mountains talk, and the rivers run.
Hazleton PA 18201              Once more  and forever."
Internet: [email-masked]                      - David Brower
(717) 450-3188
PO Box 571
Conyngham PA 18219

---

From: Bob Greback <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:35:00 EST

Hi,

I wrote a response to this discussion earlier this week. ref."To collect or
not to collect..."

I helped found the NABA chapter in Tarrant County, Texas last year.

I am a collector.

Collection and conservation are not diametric positions, only the intolerance
and lack of understanding of each side.

Bob