Subject: Insect Flapping Flight Question

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Chronister)
Date: 30 Jan 1995 06:05:13 GMT

Hi

Anyone know what are the forces acting on an insect's wing during the
upward stroke of the wing flapping cycle?  Or where I can find such info?

I have found info for some insects for example grasshoppers, dragonflies.
I have nothing about lepidoptera whatsoever and would be very interested.
Also I'm wondering how the front and hind wings interact in butterflies
and moths.

Thank you for any info or reference.

Nathan

---

From: [email-masked] (Riley Foster)
Date: 30 Jan 1995 13:12:28 GMT

THE BUTTERFLIES OF NORTH AMERICA by James Scott has a section in the
introduction which is on the mechanics of flight. Another source to
check is THE LIVES OF BUTTERFLIES by Matthew Douglas. Both are excellent
references about the natural history of butterflies. 
-- 

          "The more necessary anything appears to my mind, the more
           certain it is that I only assert a limitation."

---

From: Gerry Rising <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 10:29:13 -0500

> upward stroke of the wing flapping cycle?  Or where I can find such info?

See the beautiful coffee-table (but also serious) book by John
Brackenbury, INSECTS IN FLIGHT (Blandford, distributed in the U.S. by
Sterling).

Gerry Rising                                  phone: 716-689-8301
295 Robinhill Drive                        messages: 716-645-3175
Williamsville, NY 14221-1639                    fax: 716-645-3161
---- e-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]