Subject: Visualizing Data

From: [email-masked] (Icon Multimedia Publishing)
Date: 14 Sep 1996 02:26:47 GMT

VISUALIZING DATA
                The New Frontier of Data Analysis
                       William S. Cleveland

                       A Two-Day Short Course
			   Sponsored by
                    Icon Multimedia Publishing

                          Four Locations:
		November 4-5, 1996 New Brunswick, NJ
                February 3-4, 1997 Santa Monica, CA
                March 10-11, 1997 Washington, D.C.
                June 3-4, 1997 Ann Arbor, MI*

* Co-sponsored with The University of Michigan's Center for Statistical 
Research and Consulting (CSCAR).

COURSE CONTENT
Two decades of research in statistical graphics and data
visualization, together with the revolution in computer graphics, have
combined to produce a new frontier of data analysis.  The course will
present visualization tools that provide deep insight into the
structure of data.  There are graphical tools such as coplots, level
plots, and banking to 45 degrees.  There are fitting tools such as
loess and bisquare.  Some tools are old standards.  One example is q-q
plots.  Many tools are new, the leading edge of approaches to data
visualization.  One example is Trellis display, a framework for
analyzing multivariable data; Trellis provides the most powerful
mechanism yet developed for understanding interactions in studies
of how a response depends on explanatory variables.

But the material in the course is much more than a compendium of
useful tools.  It conveys an approach to data analysis that stresses
the use of visualization to thoroughly study the structure of data and
to check the validity of statistical models fitted to data.  The
result is a vast increase in what can be learned from data.  The
course demonstrates this by reanalyzing many data sets from the
scientific literature, revealing missed effects and inappropriate
models fitted to data.

INSTRUCTOR
William S. Cleveland is a leading researcher in statistical methods.
His previous writings on visualization, many papers and two books,
have enjoyed a large audience.  Tools introduced in these writings are
widely used throughout the scientific community. Here is what some of
the reviewers said about his most recent book, VISUALIZING DATA:

"This is a terrific book --- in my opinion, a pathbreaking book.  Get
it.  Read it.  Practice what it preaches.  You will improve the
quality of your data analysis."  B. Gunter, Technometrics.

"proposes and convincingly illustrates a philosophy of data analysis
that is both modern and practical."  P. Royston, Statistics in
Medicine.

"This book, by a leading researcher in statistical graphics, deserves
a wide readership."  C. J. Wild, ISI Book Reviews.

``a serious effort to produce a coherent data analysis.''
A. H. Welsch, Journal of the American Statistical Association.

REGISTRATION:
The course fee is $500.pp. All participants will receive a copy of 
Cleveland's book, VISUALIZING DATA, and a notebook containing copies of 
course transparencies.

HOW TO REGISTER:
WEB ACCESS: use the online form at http://www.iconmulti.com/visual 
to provide us with your registration information.

EMAIL: Use the electronic form at the end of this document to send your
registration information to [email-masked].

FAX: Print out the form at the end of this document and fax the completed
document to (616) 392-2192.

PHONE: Call (800) 403-4266 with registration orders.

MAIL: Fill the completed form below and send it to:
ICON Multimedia Publishing, Inc.
1193 Graafschap Rd., Holland MI 49423

DEADLINES:
Please have all registration submissions sent two weeks prior to the course
date. Cancellation after the close date is subject to a $200 late withdrawal
fee. Seating is limited so please register early. To check on your
registration status, or make additional inquiries, please call (800)
403-4266.

Once your registration is processed, you will receive a packet of information 
including a confirmation letter and area information on lodging,
transportation, a course itinerary and local resturants and attractions.
Please note: your slot is not final until you receive the confirmation letter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

			Registration Form - Visualizing Data

Please check the course you will attend:

November 4-5, 1996 - New Brunswick, NJ _____
February 3-4, 1997 - Santa Monica, CA _____
March 10-11, 1997 - Washington, D.C. _____
June 3-4, 1997 Ann Arbor, MI ____

Attendee Information
Name:
Company/Affiliation:
City/State/Zip:
Phone/Fax:
email:

Payment Method:

Visa/Mastercard:
Number:
Exp:

Purchase Order:
Number:
(please fax a copy of your purchase order to (616) 392-2192)

Checks:
Please make checks payable to ICON Multimedia Publishing, Inc. and send it
to 1193 Graafschap Rd., Holland MI 49423. We cannot guarantee your
course reservation until checks arrive.