Subject: Re: The African Blue, Aptivus africanus

From: Chris Peek <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1995 20:58:07 GMT

The Aptiva is the name of their PC (the name was constructed via market research) 
and the ad is most likely a simple play on words. I don't know if there exists an 
Aptivas butterfly but I would doubt it.

The butterfly is an apropos symbol for PC's because the life of a butterly is 
approximately how long a new technology will remain current before being rendered 
obsolete.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Patr
ick Roper <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In our weekly Radio Times magazine in Britain IBM, otherwise known as "Big
>Blue" are using a large blue butterfly which they call the African Blue,
>Aptivus africanus, in a full-page advertisement for an Aptiva multi-media
>computer.  The headline, under a film-star-like lepidopterist in a field
>tent, says "When I've got an African Blue Aptiva, my collection will be
>complete".
>
>Oh dear ......
>
>Anyhow, does anyone know if there is such a butterfly as Aptivus africanus
>and, if there is, could they provide any information about it?
>
>On this topic, does anyone have any theories as to why computer and software
>companies are so fond of butterfly images?  Is it because of the
>transformations they undergo?  Or that they are colourful and attractive?
>Or both?  Or neither?
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Patrick Roper
>Editor: Butterfly Conservation News
>============================================================
>South View, Sedlescombe, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0PE, UK
>Telephone:  (01424) 870208; Fax: (01424) 870208
>Email: [email-masked]
>============================================================