Subject: fan mail

From: James Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:16:05 CST

Hello again John,

    Thanks for your posting about the Ohio Lep Soc.  I only recently
became aware of the society's accomplishments through a talk given at
the Entomological Society of America national meetings at Las Vegas
by Eric Metzler.  I also heard David Horn speak about the Lake Erie
island butterflies at the ESA branch meetings in Omaha.  I have just
recently ordered a few of those publications you have listed, and
applied for membership with the society.  Truly an impressive group
that I wanted to hear more from/about.

    Maybe someday a sort of official Wisconsin Lepidoptera Survey
can be done, but we need a leader.  I have to finish grad school for
one thing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest by others at
this time, judging from the Wisconsin Entomological Society.  Sure,
there are folks keeping track of things like Les Ferge, and some very
serious collectors with some great data, but no one is publication
minded, except me, and I won't have much time to be working on that
sort of thing until I'm out of grad school.  So until then I keep
accumulating methods and results of things others have done so I might
tear into this eventually with my own stuff.  You guys are very
inspirational to me in this very "target rich" U.S. state.

Cheers!
Jim Kruse

Dept Entomology
Univ Wisconsin
345 Russell Labs
1630 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706
608-262-4755

---

From: Mark O'Brien <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1996 13:01:46 GMT

There is another group -- still early in its development -- the Michigan 
Lepidoptera Survey.  Their home page is: 
http://pilot.msu.edu/user/kriegelr/mls/

The Ohio Lepidopterists have done a commendable job with their 
publications, and have really set the standard!

Mark O'Brien
UMMZ Collections Coordinator