Subject: Re: attract bflies to a wooden house

From: "Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 07:30:55 -0400

>I would like to know from any member of the group whether they know of ANY
>success with these butterfly "hibernating houses."  [stuff deleted]
>Charles V. Covell Jr.
>
        My personal experience with butterfly hibernation houses is that
they make excellent habitats for wasps, solitary bees, chipmonks and
mice.  Aside from a few small unidentified moths, I have never seen any
regular leps visitors.  We have Polygonia comma, Polygonia interrogationis
and nymphalis antiopa as regular over-wintering species in this area.  They
appear to have little interest in these houses.

Regards,
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D., Senior Physicist
The Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio
Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering & Radiology
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Vice President, The Ohio Lepidopterists
[email-masked]  Voice: 216-421-4689, FAX: 216-421-5343

---

From: Ms Fortune <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 16:01:34 -0700

Hi I had a "professionally made" house that never resulted in any thing;
I think it was only from overwintering species, like _Nymphalis antiopa_
and you're just supposed to see them hibernating... I can see if I can
find more info on it, if you're interested (it's top is removable to peer
in to see them; and it's got slots on the sides from them to maneuver in
to hide). I guess for some places it works/ my prob is that I'm not
located by a stream with willows where N. antiopa would be otherwise
ususally found...

Sharyn Fernandez
Contra Costa County IS
Mount Diablo...
MDIA/VIPP member, Mt. Diablo State Park

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, JDO wrote:

> I have a plan for a butterfly house made of wood.
> I am interested in what type of materia/food, etc
> that should be inside the house to attract the butterflies.
> Also, what is the best location for such? I am located
> in Western North Dakota.
>
> Please e-mail
>         [email-masked]
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jesse Olson
>