Subject: Re: Latin name for ladybug?

From: PAUL J JOHNSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 08:13:22 CST

>Could you please help rescue my 7th grader and tell us the Latin name
>for a ladybug?
>I understand it is in the COCCINELLIDAE family (correct?).
>Thanks in advance.

  Ladybird beetles are in the family Coccinellidae.  In 1985, the
northern North America ladybird beetle fauna was classified amongst
57 genera and 475 species.  The has been only a few taxonomic changes
and faunal additions via introductions since then.
    See:  R.D. Gordon, 1985, "The Coccinellidae (Coleoptera) of
America North of Mexico."  Journal of the New York Entomological
Society, 93(1): 1-912.   This issue is sometimes found in libraries
bound as a separate "book."

Paul J. Johnson
Assist. Prof. & Curator
Insect Research Collection
South Dakota State University
email: [email-masked]