Subject: Clouded Yellows and Painted Ladies

From: Patrick Roper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 21:58:56 +0100

In addition to the Clouded Yellows (Colias croceus) I reported last Friday
on the south coast of England in East Sussex, I have heard that some have
been sighted in South Devon.  Any other reports?

Can anyone suggest why some of the Painted Ladies (Vanessa cardui) now
invading north west Europe are very worn and others relatively fresh?  Are
those that have flown great distances being joined by others emerging
further north and, if so, are they somehow able to synchronise?

Patrick Roper
--
South View, Churchland Lane, Sedlescombe, East Sussex TN33 0PE, UK
Telephone: +44 (0) 1424 870208; Fax: +44 (0) 1424 870208
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:49:47 GMT

>been sighted in South Devon.  Any other reports?

Hi Patrick,

On 9.6.96 C.crocea was seen on the Warburg Reserve just west of
Henley-on-Thames (can't remember whether it is Oxon or Bucks). Only
one was seen but I think they will get more common later if these good
conditions prevail.

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

---

From: [email-masked] (O.T. Lewis)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:44:56 +0100 (BST)

In article <[email-masked]>,
>been sighted in South Devon.  Any other reports?

Yes, they have reached Yorkshire: 2 seen yesterday. Painted Ladies (Vanessa 
cardui) in huge numbers too, some flying steadily north, others ovipositing 
on assorted thistles and stinging nettles.

Owen.

Department of Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK.