Subject: Building my lepidoptera info on WWW?

From: [email-masked] (Markku Savela)
Date: 18 Jun 1995 14:04:11 GMT

I have been toying with the idea that I would (as a hobby!) take
pictures of lepidoptera using my own collection as a source and
putting the result on WWW.

My current idea is that the pictures would be on PhotoCD, from which I
would make the WWW versions.

I have made a very preliminary skeleton structure at

	http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/msa/lepidoptera/

I had experimental picture of a group of moths, and I just scanned it
in (300 dpi), and cropped each species out into two separate images
(small gif and larger jpg). I put these images into the tree

	... lepidoptera/ditrysia/noctuoidea/noctuidae/

	Diachrysia chrysitis
	Macdunnoughia confusa
	Polychrysia moneta
	Euchalcia modesta
	Plusia festucae, putnami
	Autographa macrogamma, gamma, pulchrina, buraetica, mandarina

Remember these pics are just experimental shots, to learn about
photographing ( I am no expert on that area).

Before I put more effort, it would be nice to get suggestions about
how to actually go with this, how to format pages, what information
actually put in? (I have looked at tree of life pages, and perhaps
should use them as guideline, although, I think they use too much
HTML <PRE> tag, IMHO).

My goal is not to have "pretty pictures" of random lepidoptera, my
wish is to create something that could have "scientific value" (that's
why the test pictures all include the label. Also, I think I need to
have image of the *same* specimen both up and underside.
--
Markku Savela ([email-masked]),     Technical Research Centre of Finland
Multimedia Systems, P.O.Box 1203,FIN-02044 VTT,http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/msa/