Subject: Re: Rebuttal

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 10:29:07 -0500

In message Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:20:48 -0500, Entomo <[email-masked]>  writes:

> After reading the postings by Mr. Kruze and Mr. Philip I found it fitting
> to give a little input for the Park Service's benefit.   I would like to
> thank Mr. Philip for his statement.   As inconvenient as the regulations
> see he was at least willing to offer the legal alternatative.  For Mr.
> Kruze, I can understand his concern but do not agree with his logic.
> National Parks were established to "...conserve the scenery and  the
> natural and historic objects and the wildlife therein and to provide for
> the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave
> them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."   This is a
> direct quote from the Park Service Mission.   If the Service were to allow
> the uncontrolled collection of any species it would greatly affect the
> balance of that particular ecosystem the area was established to protect.
> Yes, roads and developement do have an impact on these environements by
> as land managers with the above mission they are forced to make a balance
> to accomodate all walks of life/lifestyle/interest.   Sometimes it may not
> seem fair to a paricular group but the regulations are necessary in order
> to maintain the integrity of the park area.   If these regulations were
> not established then many endangered or threatened species could/would be
> collected, causing a serious decline in that particular population.   The
> regulations are note written to hinder or punish but written to protect
> and preserve the resourse.
>
I think it's also important to note that nearly all our national park sites
were established to preserve outstanding scenery, historical or other
human-related values and not biodiversity.  It is coincidental that many NPS
sites also harbor great biological diversity, but few, if any, represent
entire ecosystems. Even Yellowstone, as big as it is, does not encompass the
entire Greater Yellowstone ecosystem.  The challenge facing conservationists
is to shift from those "human values" to biocentrism (biophilia) thinking
and begin thinking big.  It will take many, many years, many lifetimes, but
this is the challenge facing us. There are many many lands that border
national parks today that should be preserved as buffer zones for the park
interiors.  Mt. Rainer comes to mind as one example.  So, I got off the
topic of the earlier postings.
Alan Gregory
Conyngham, PA
*************************                 ****************************
* Monica E. Gregory, PH.D.
* Asst. Prof, Psychology                  "Vermont is a state
* Penn State Hazleton                             I love"
* Hazleton PA 18201                            -C. Coolidge
* Internet: [email-masked]
* Tel:(717)450-3188