Subject: Re: Need Assistance in Rearing Moths

From: "Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:27:24 GMT

On 13 Jun 1995, Pipevine wrote:

> Hello, 
>      For some time I have been interested in rearing moths, but
.......snipped............
> begin. It is my hope that those more experienced in this matter come to my
> rescue. I would be interested in literary references, supply sources,
> specimen sources, and any other information that is needed to begin. 
> .........snipped..............
> 

Moths and How to Rear Them by Paul Villiard. 1969.  2nd revised ed.  Dover 
Publications.  ISBN 0-486-23119-4
Format is two pages: one for BW photos and the other for brief inf.

An Index to the Described Life Histories, Early Stages and Hosts of the 
Marcolepidoptera of the Continental United States and Canada by Harrison 
Morton Tietz.  1972. 2 volumes. Published by A.C. Allyn for the Allyn 
Museum of Entomology, Sarasota Fla. ISBN: 0-913492-01-9
Details, references, hosts comprehensive (and all before computers).

Moths and Butterflies by Julia P. Ballard. 1891. G.P.Putnam's Sons and 
the Knickerbocker Press in NY.  It appears to have been written with 
youngsters in mind, or perhaps just simple enough not to scare adults 
away.  Great BW drawings and beyond copyright I would guess, so it would 
be ideal for newsletters.  Be sure to credit the artist even so.

----
Chirps!

Sharon J. Collman                     OR      Sharon J. Collman
c/o Center For Urban Horticulture             
Box 354115                                    13720 23rd Ave. NE
University of Washington                      Seattle, WA. 98125-3322
Seattle, WA  98195-4115
           
Phone:  206-543-8616                          206-365-6966 
Fax:    206-685-2692
EMail:  [email-masked]

NOTE NEW ADDRESS: box and zip ext      OR     New address and phone