Subject: Contact the Editor (fwd)

From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:46:49 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:42:53 -0700 (MST)
From: Thomas Kral <[email-masked]>
To: Entomology Discussion List <[email-masked]>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list ENTOMO-L <[email-masked]>
Subject: Contact the Editor

Here is the address to direct correspondence to AUDUBON Magazine.

Audubon
Editing & Advertising
700 Broadway
New York, N.Y.  10003         phone (212) 979-3000

I recall an earlier posting where someone stated that the editor is Mr.
Michael Robbins (but didn't give an address).  You might want to direct
any letters directly to Mr. Robbins for more personal and direct
attention.

     I'm certainly going to write a letter to the editor about the
Butterfly Bust article, with a brief editorial to be printed.  Its my
hope that every concerned entomologist will also write, regardless of
your viewpoints.  Certainly there will be those Glassberg types that will
write something gloriously commending the USFWS agents and bureaucrats
for their endeavors, but I would hope that everyone can at least put some
thought and objectivity in their letters.  It concerns me that there are
the shallow of mind who seem to think that the government (USFWS) can do
no wrong - but governments and certain laws are sometimes wrong.  I'm
sure that these Glassberg types would have been fine comrades in the
Stalin and Mao dictatorships, but the graveyards are full of fallen
Germans who thought that Hitler and his Reich could do no wrong - the
propaganda similarities that there are between Ted Williams' article and
the infamous historic work of NAZI propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels
(among other examples) is truly striking!  I'm exaggerating things a bit
in comparing something stupid like the USFWS and their Bug bust to the
loss of millions of human lives, but the mechanisms of USFWS and Audubon
propaganda are nearly identical in form to the more sinister...

     I don't need to elaborate on the extreme problems being caused by
the USFWS, Audubon, etc. towards entomology, science, and research to
most of you.  But to the uninformed, or mean-spirited, who desire to be
on the USFWS cheer-leading squad, please consider the following:

What is happening to our environmental agenda is that while
anti-collecting laws are being strenghtened, actual protection for the
long-term survival of our habitats is diminishing - FAST.  By stopping
any collecting and research to make environmental decisions, we are
stopping environmental protection COLD.  A well known military tactic is
to blind the enemy by first knocking out the opponents comunication and
intellegence gathering capabilities, then the opponent (the environment)
has no idea when and where it is being destroyed.  I can predict with
great confidence that many entomologists in biodiversity studies and
conservation biology will soon be unemployed - and thats just the start.

     But it perplexes me that alleged "environmentalists" infact support
such destructive measures.  Yes, they are blinded too, by foolish
emotions and a sense of morality (remember PROFESSIONAL ENTOMOLOGISTS
that you too are guilty of killing bugs according to the Audubon article)
which has no scientific or factual basis whatsoever.  I have been saying
for a few years now that we need to discard MOST of the collecting laws
which apply to insects, in order to facilitate important research, both
by amateur and professional, but I'm rapidly loosing sympathy for the
pompous ones (like Brett Ratcliff among others I can name) and may come
to realize that you truly deserve the hardships being bestowed on your
professions.  Hard times are ahead if you don't act now.

     Thus I reiterate that you should write your congressman, senator,
and Interior Secretary Bruce Babbit about the massive problems being
caused by certain members of the USFWS (Its not the agency of itself that
is bad, but destructive agents like Mendoza and Nagano that need to be
disciplined and removed).  You may want to enclose a copy of the letter
that you composed, to the Audubon editor, plus a copy of the biased and
inflamatory article itself, to support your pleas to your congressman.
Also ask if they will form an investigation into this matter, and contact
Thomas Kral for improtant information, in addition to a review of actual
court records in the case, to start the process of investigation and to
expose improper elements of the USFWS, bad laws (like the Lacey Act), and
massive waste of taxpayers money which inhibit environmental and research
programs.

Don't just gripe about it - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

---

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:17:41 -0500

Dear Mr. Kral,

You are correct.  The editor of "Audubon" magazine is Mr. Michael W.
Robbins. Mr. Robbins also serves as a senior vice president of the National
Audubon Society. You have the correct address and Zip Code below.
Cheers.
Alan Gregory

>Don't just gripe about it - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!
************************************************************
Gregory                                 "We stand for what we stand on."
Penn State Hazleton                    - Edward Abbey
717-450-3188

[email-masked]