Subject: Re: Dutch antiopa update

From: Bart Vanholder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:58:02 +0000

Kars Veling wrote:

> It has been a week and a half ago that I posted a message with 30 sightings
> of Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning cloak) in the Netherlands.
> Now (20-4-1996) there have already been more than 150 sightings been
> registered by Dutch Butterfly Conservation. I am sure that there must be

Indeed, in Belgium they start to awake as well. We have already 4 sightings
of N. antiopa for this year. All in the North of the country, where this
species is not a resident, but last year we had there 27 specimens reported.
This years sightings:the first on 6th januari in diapauze, flying on 15th
(Beerse, prov Antwerp), 14 th April (Zolder, prov. Limburg) and 18th April
(Ursel, province East Flanders). I hear that in Danmark too the species has
been already seen in this spring. When do you see them in the UK ? Where
will they establish any new populations and for how long ?
----------------------------------------------------------
Bart Vanholder
Belgian Migrant Lepidoptera Survey
Droeskouter 33
B-9450 Haaltert
Belgium
e-mail: [email-masked]
homepage Migrant Leps http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/
homepage Sesiidae     http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/sesiid/seslist
----------------------------------------------------------