Subject: Spring buts - UK

From: Simon Coombes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 19:54:21 +-100

Hello

A few species are finally emerging here in Devon, although there is still a heavy frost in the mornings. Over the last few days I've seen;

Green Hairstreak                Callophrys rubi         (6 May)
Pearl-bordered Fritillary               Clossiana euphrosyne    (11 May)
Dingy Skipper                   Erynnis tages           (12 May)
Small Copper                    Lycaena phlaes          (12 May)
Wall                            Lasiommata megera       (12 May)

In addition Holly Blues Celastrina argiolus are extremley numerous seemingly everywhere I go and a number a Red Admirals Vanessa atalanta are on the wing.

Let's hope they are joined soon, everything seems a couple of weeks late.

Simon Coombes

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 22:59:48 GMT

On Sun, 12 May 1996 19:54:21 +-100, Simon Coombes
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>A few species are finally emerging here in Devon, although there is =
>still a heavy frost in the mornings. Over the last few days I've seen;

For the record, on a reserve in South Oxfordshire today (12th May) I
saw:
- Dingy Skippers (E.tages)   x3
- Grizzled Skippers (Pyrgus malvae) x3
- Holly Blues (Celastrina argiolus) (lots - could this be another good
year for them?)
- Small Purple Barred Moth (Phytometra viridaria) x2
- Pyrausta nigrata 1 
- plus other sundry 'earlies' like G.rhamni, A.urticae....

[Pyrausta purpuralis or aurata, Green Hairstreak (C.rubi) seen 2 weeks
ago]

We don't get Wall and haven't for several years now. Is it a declining
species in the UK?

>Let's hope they are joined soon, everything seems a couple of weeks =
>late.

Too right. Changing the subject slightly, if the cold weather carries
on with the current drought orchids in bud will start to abort or may
even get frosted.  :-(

Here's looking forward to some mild, wet weather (with plenty of sunny
weekends!)  :-)

Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

---

From: "T.M.Hotten" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 May 1996 20:22:01 GMT

Plenty of Holly blues and also Orange tips, Single Duke of Burgundy (April 
27) Speckled woods few. No Small or large whites -weather too cold!

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 22:24:34 GMT

>27) Speckled woods few. No Small or large whites -weather too cold!

DOB was a good sighting - but what part of the country did you see it?

Chris R.