Subject: Spring in Denmark

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:06:44 METDST

Hi, butterfly netters

After a bitterly cold spring in Denmark with a lot of snow temperatures well
below 0 C, we have had a very hot mid april with temperatures reaching record-
high 29 degrees Celcius.
        The Camberwell Beauty (Nymphalis antiopa) has been extremely common
since April 6th with observations from all over E Jutland. We hope that it
will start to breed here. There are some indications of migrating antiopa's
on migration watchpoints (Skagen, Gilbjerg and islands in Kattegat) but I
think it's just random dispersal movements.
        Aglais urtica, Gonepteryx rhamni and Inachis io are all very common
at the moment. The first and only Vanessa atalanta has been observed near
Vejle (E Jutland) on April 15th, probably an overwintering individual.

I'll report back, when butterfly migrations start, soon, I hope.

Kind regards
--------------------------
Morten D.D. Hansen
Dept. of Zoology
University of Aarhus
Denmark
e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------