Subject: Vanessa cardui and other migrants

From: Bart Vanholder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:39:45 +0000

News from the migration-front

Last weeks the southerly winds brought us some migrant Lepidoptera in
Belgium and UK. A few migrating Vanessa atalanta (Red admiral) were
reported. Other migrants include 2 more (first reported on 15th April)
Vanessa cardui (Painted lady): 18th and 22nd April.

Plutella xylostella (Lep: Yponomeutidae) was quite abundant. I had 7
specimen in my lighttrap in Haaltert (Belgium) on 22nd and 8 specimen on
23rd April. Mike Pennington reported 6 P. xylostella on 25th April in his
lighttrap in Shetland (UK). Presumably migration took place during the last
week, many butterflies showed up and were very pale. Last weekend 6 were
present at light on 27th April.

Agrotis ipsilon (Lep: Noctuidae) is already reported four times this year in
Belgium , it is quite exceptional for Belgium to see this species so early
in the year: 23rd March, the day before one specimen was present in a
lighttrap in Peacehaven (UK). More in Belgium butterflies on 20th April,
26th April, 27th April. Also Macroglossum stellatarum (Hummingbird Hawkmoth)
on 26th April and probably one Colias crocea too on 27th.

Who reports us more migrant Lepidoptera ? UK ? Scandinavia ?

Mail us for our updatings.
----------------------------------------------------------
Bart Vanholder
Belgian Migrant Lepidoptera Survey
Droeskouter 33
B-9450 Haaltert
Belgium
e-mail: [email-masked]
homepage Migrant Leps http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/
homepage Sesiidae     http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/sesiid/seslist
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Janne Sinkkonen <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 1996 19:22:28 +0300

> Who reports us more migrant Lepidoptera ? UK ? Scandinavia ?

It has been a very cold spring in Finland. And I think at this time of
year we don't see much migration here even if the weather were
normal. 

Warm winds from South-East are coming around the weekend, so maybe we
will see some P. xylostella.

--
Janne