Subject: Butterfly overwintering

From: KENELM W PHILIP <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 21:38:59 -0800

Temperate zone butterflies can overwinter in any of the four stages
of the their life history--but adult hibernation is limited to only a few
genera (_Nymphalis_, _Polygonia_, _Vanessa_, and a couple of others). See
pp. 26-29 of Scott's 'The Butterflies of North America' for an overview of
the subject.
        In the north, most (but not all) species hibernate as larvae. In the
high arctic, all (5) species hibernate as larvae.

                                                        Ken Philip
[email-masked]

---

From: Andy McClelland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 11:56:18 +0900

>high arctic, all (5) species hibernate as larvae.

This reminds me to ask - does anyone know the whereabouts of Jim Scott? He
was a post doc with me more than 20 years ago.

-- Andy

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%  G. A. H. McClelland   (Andy)  Emeritus :>)                    %
%  Department of Entomology                                      %
%  University of California                           /\         %
%  Davis, CA 95616-8584                 \ / ,,,______//_\____    %
%  (916) 752-0487  FAX 752-1537         O^O(@)\_____//___\___\   %
%  P.O. Box 162, Clio, CA 96106         'V'/""\"""""U"""""\""    %
%  (916) 836-4515                        _/    \_          \_    %
%  e-mail [email-masked]                               %
%****************************************************************%
%  Oh!  So many bugs - so little time!                           %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%