Subject: Monarch Migration Tracked by Journey North

From: [email-masked] (kandee kosior)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:41:32 GMT

Journey North's 3rd Annual 
Spring Monarch Migration Project

Get ready! 
You're invited to take part in an international science project with
students and scientists across North America. This spring we'll create a
live map of the monarch butterflies' dramatic migration from Mexico and
advance the understanding of this spectacular natural phenomenon.

Millions and Millions of Monarchs
Every year, monarch butterflies return to eastern North America after
spending the winter concentrated by the millions in a handful of small
mountain sanctuaries west of Mexico City.  They flew up to 2,500 miles to
get there last fall and have survived since November on the precious energy
contained  in their fat reserves. With just a few weeks left to live,
they're about to begin their journey north.

They're On Their Way!
An announcement of the butterflies' grand exodus from Mexico (usually about
the time of the spring equinox in March) will alert an electronic network
of observers that the monarchs are on their way.  From Mexico to Canada
hundreds of people are prepared to report the FIRST monarch they see this
season.  Live reports will arrive from March until June--first from Texas,
then at points further and further north until they finally reach the
Canadian Provinces.  When the trip ends in June, it will have spanned two
monarch generations.

Science and Celebration
In a unique partnership, students and scientists will work together to
gather, organize and analyze data about this fascinating event. They'll
explore how wind and weather effect the journey, they'll discover
the routes the monarchs take and the risks they face along the way. They'll
learn about conservation needs on the wintering grounds and at points along
the path. Perhaps most importantly, they'll celebrate the return of this
delicate sign of spring as it moves across the continent and gain an
understanding of global ecological systems.  In the words of one
participating teacher: 

"My students suddenly saw the connection between the backyard butterfly,
spring temperatures and the distant country of Mexico.  They were able to
see how fragile nature is, and that all living things are interconnected."  

About the Journey North Program
The monarch migration is one of a dozen migrations tracked each year by
the Journey North program. Journey North is an annual, Internet-based
distance learning adventure that engages students grades 4-12 in a global
study of wildlife migration. From Groundhog's Day until summer vacation
(Feb.2-June 1) students across North America share observations with
classrooms across the hemisphere.  In addition to studying migration they
observe the local emergence of spring through studies of changing day
length, temperatures and other signs of spring.

How to Participate
You can access the Journey North project on the Internet in two ways:

E-mail:     [email-masked]   
WWW:  http://www.learner.org/k12

Printed Classroom Materials
A 150 page Journey North Teacher's Manual is available for classroom use. 
This manual contains 35 interdisciplinary lessons that can be used with
the Journey North program each year.  The manual is complete with
reproducible student worksheets and graphs. Schedules and classroom
organization techniques used by participating teachers helps teachers
integrate the program fully. Published as a 3-ring binder, additional
lessons and information can be added to the manual as they are delivered
online.  Available for $39.

To order call:  1-800-965-7373.  

Funding for this project is provided by:
Annenberg/Corporation for Public Broadcasting
Project for Elementary and High School Mathematics and Science 
and
The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation

P.S. I highly recommend this program.

Donald Davis

[email-masked],internet