Subject: Where do IO & Imperial Moths pupate?

From: Cheri Tenaglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 20:53:47 -0400

This summer I have been caring for 28 IO moth caterpillars.  They are now
aproximately the size of my little finger and I expect them to pupate any day
now.  This is the first time I have reared this species and I am concerned
about the conditions they require at this stage in their lives.  According to
Amy Bartlett Wright's "Peterson's First Guide to Caterpillars" , they should
overwinter in a cocoon made from the leaf parts of the food plant.   Do they
use leaves that are still attached to the plant?  Do they secure themselves
to the branch or do they prefer loose leaves on the ground?  I would
appriecate any tips that will increase their chance of survival!  :)   I also
have a friend who has an  Imperial Moth;  Eacles imperials,  caterpillar and
has similar questions.  Thanks for your help!   Cheri Tenaglia

---

From: KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 19:00:49 -0400

Hello
     I reared IO moths last and found they overwintered fine in their
rather flimsy leaf cocoons in a protected outdoor place like a screened
porch or a barn. They wander quite a bit before pupating......I lost a few
before they reappered somewhere else in my living room! The large ones will
give a good sting on you. They donn't call them urticating for nothing.
Imperial moths are burying larva which pupate underground....my friends use
a flower pot outdoors but lost their Immperial pupa when it froze solid.
The Citheronia regalis survived the hard freeze.....perhaps a larger box
with dirt ina protected spot would do well