Subject: Re: What don't bees like ?

From: Subhendu Ganguly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:13:47 +0000

In India where I come from, we make smoke under the bee-hive which seems
to drive away the bees.  However this is more of a rural practice, when
having driven away the bees, the hive is harvested for honey.

Just a suggestion; please don't burn the neighbourhood!

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Yanega)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 14:54:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Danial
Rubin) wrote:

> Anyways, I would like to ward off the bees early this Spring so I don't
> have to battle them this Summer.  Does anyone know of a method to deter
> bees from nesting around an area?  One idea that I had was to build a
> device similiar to the ultrasonic bug repellers, but that emitted a 
> frequency that is annoying to bees.  Does anyone know if this will work 
> And if so what frequency range will get the attention of bees?

The only *practical* way to keep bees (if they ARE bees and not
yellowjackets) from nesting is to block up the entrances to the cavity
they might nest in. A beehive takes a LARGE hollow space, and if they
can't reach it, they'll nest elsewhere. If the "bees" have died off over
the winter, then they were probably yellowjacket wasps, and it's just a
matter of dumb luck if a new gueen finds the same spot this season. I
don't know why anyone would want to knowingly saturate their home with
pesticides for something like hoping to keep bees away. Termites,
carpenter ants, fleas, roaches - I might see it there, where you have a
known problem and no better way to solve it. But to expose yourself and
your family as a preventive measure?
    Ultrasonic bug repellers, incidentally, do NOT work. Not a single one,
not now, not ever. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell anyone who
believes in ultrasonic bug repellers. Pet Rocks do just as much good at
repelling insects, and were a lot cheaper and more obvious a fraud.
-- 
Doug Yanega
Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Biodiversity
607 E. Peabody Dr. Champaign, IL 61820  USA
"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is
    the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick

---

From: [email-masked] (Danial Rubin)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 14:39:31 -0500

Hi All,

Last summer there seemed to be an extraordinary amount of bees around the
patio of my apartment.  There was a nest inside a wall around my patio.
Even after I was able to get rid of that one, I would always see bees
walking around my patio.  Periodically you would see bees literally fallling
from nowhere onto the patio where they would walk around for awhile and
then die.  It was like there was a massive "bee war" going on over my 
apartment.  There are many trees and bushes around my apartment and I 
suspected that there were several nests other than the one in the wall.

Thanks for any help

	-Dan