Subject: Re: A 1st Grade Homework assignment

From: [email-masked] (Julie "Mudgie" Stahlhut)
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 10:30 est

In Article <[email-masked]> "[email-masked] (Eric Weir)" says:
> 
> [email-masked] (MC GLYNN  TERRENCE PETER) writes:
> >Donna Mallery  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>I am Stephanie. I want to know where a butterfly goes when it rains.
> >>Thank you.
> >
> >I don't think this is an appropriate question for this newsgroup.  As
> >the net grows, there will be tons of people asking for help in 
> schoolwork
> >and other academic pursuits that can easily answered without soliciting
> >help from this forum.  I think it robs people of the ability to learn 
> how
> >to acquire information.  Going to a library could easily answer this 
> question.
> 
> 	I don't know either, Terry.
:-) :-) :-)
I would hate to see us discouraging children from asking questions here.
This group is not strictly for academics and serious hobbyists; let's
keep it friendly.

(I don't know either!  :-

Julie K. Stahlhut, Millipede Fancier     [email-masked]          
                   SPECIAL GRADUATION SEASON .SIG:

 "We must pass the torch to you, and you must grasp it, ideally 
    by the end that is not on fire."
                                       -- Dave Barry

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Morse)
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 14:18:05

>>I am Stephanie. I want to know where a butterfly goes when it rains.

                                                {Deletions}

>If the teacher or the parent of the student posted this, they could go
>to the library with the student, look up books on butterflies-- and
>show the student how to learn new things on her own, in addition to the
>answer of her question.

  Try the _Handbook for Butterfly Watchers_, by Robert Michael Pyle.  I think 
you will find the answer there.

  Support your local library.

>Terry P. McGlynn         University of Colorado at Boulder

--Terry
Terry Morse
[email-masked]
**************************************************************************
"It has been said ... that there are few situations in life that cannot be
honourably settled, and without loss of time, either by suicide, a bag of
gold, or by thrusting a despised antagonist over the edge of a precipice
upon a dark night." -- Ernest Bramah, 1868-1942.
**************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Weir)
Date: 2 May 1995 06:29:48 -0500

schoolwork
how
question.

 /==============================================================\
||                                                              ||
||      _         There has been a .signature error.            ||
||     * \                                                      ||
||       _|_          ____________          _____________       ||
||      /   \        /            \        /             \      ||
||     |     |       |   Resume   |        |   Restart   |      ||
||      \___/        \____________/        \____|\ ______/      ||
||                                              |  \            ||
 \==============================================|   _\==========/
                                                |/\ \
                                                   \_

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Hill)
Date: 2 May 1995 17:55:25 GMT

Perhaps, as an expert in such things, you could cite one book that would
answer this question appropriately for a 1st grader and/or a lay parent.

I believe that most butterflies and moths overwinter as adults, and find
winter "homes" in bushes, trees, under leaves, in cracks and crevasses
or in leaf litter.  The famous example of the Monarch overwintering in
trees after a long migration, is a rare exception, I think.  However, I
am not a lepidopterist and am relatively ignorant of terrestrial insect
lives.  
  
I have taken the time to look through my 5 yr old daughter's extensive
collection of butterfly books, and have not found the answer.  Perhaps
the question is not one easily answered by a lay parent and a 1st grader
at the local library.  I did not find it in the Peterson Field guides. 
It may be that the ZIM Butterfly book does answer the question, but it
is at my daughter's school.  One book that does answer many questions
is:

Smith, Robert H.  1988.  A Childs First Library of Learning: Insect
World.  Time-life Books.  Alexandria, Virginia.  ISBN 0-8094-4841-6.  I
learned a few things from this book.  It is designed for parents and
kids.

Other information that may be useful to an older student or an adult
assistant may be found in:

Stokes, Donald W.  1983.  Stokes Nature Guides: A Guide to Observing
Insect Lives.  Little, Brown & Co., Ltd.  Boston, Toronto.  ISBN
0-316-81724-4.

Perhaps there is a professional lepidopterist out there, recognizing
that there is a crisis in taxonomy--that few taxonomists remain and
fewer programs teach taxonomy, and that museums are losing their
staff--who has a little time to invest in the future.  

Why waste time flaming 1st graders?  Their attitudes, and their parents
political attitudes, control your destiny.  I have enjoyed reading
biographies of famous entomologists.  I don't recall one who did not
take the time to remember a key mentor.  This is your chance to be
remembered.
[email-masked]

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (MC
>>I am Stephanie. I want to know where a butterfly goes when it rains.
(Go)
>Sorry if this sound mean or harsh-- just my opinion and nobody else's.
>
>EPO Biology - CB 334     Environmental, Population, and Organismic
Biology
>Boulder, CO  80309-0334  [email-masked]
>http://ucsub.colorado.EDU/~mcglynn/Home.html
>--

---

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 22:12:06 GMT

>This group is not strictly for academics and serious hobbyists; let's

Amen!

>    by the end that is not on fire."

Congratulations!

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California