Subject: Flapping Flight

From: "Phil Schappert <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 07:36:33 -0500

TO: [email-masked]
TO: [email-masked]

Nathan,

re: your request for info. on flapping flight in butterflies.  I suggest
that you see if you can find some of the following:

Weis-Fogh, T. (1976) Energetics & aerodynamics of flapping flight: a
synthesis.  pp. 48-72 IN Insect Flight (Roy. Ent. Soc. Symp. #7), Rainey,
R.C. (ed.), Wiley & Sons, N.Y.

=09--> This is by the man who first described the "clap and fling"
=09    flight style of butterflies

Ellington, C.P. (1984) The Aerodynamics of Flapping Animal Flight.  Amer.
Zool. 24: 95-105.

=09--> see also Ellington's series of papers from the same year in
=09    Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc., Lond. 305.

Kingsolver, J.G. (1985) Butterfly Engineering.  Sci. Am. 253: 106-113.

=09--> a good general introduction

There is a fairly large number of papers on a variety of topics based
loosely on flight tactics/strategies - try a BIOSYS cd-rom search on
"flight" and "butterflies".  You'll be amazed at what comes out...

Hope this helps.

Phil Schappert
York University, Toronto
[email-masked]/[email-masked]

=FE CMPQwk 1.42-17 1489 =FE...Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
                                         =20