Subject: Larval identification

From: Robert Kriegel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 12:16:26 -0400

Hello all,
     A couple of days ago I was presented with a caterpillar that I am
trying to rear out.  It was found on grapes in southwest Michigan but it
has not eaten grape foliage I have provided.  I am starting to get
concerned that it may have wandered onto grape from a nearby plant and that
I am trying to feed it the wrong food.  I have looked through several
references and have had no success identifying the larva.  I am hoping
someone out there can provide me with the missing key to my puzzle.
   The larva is about 4 inches long and appears to be a sphingid.  It has a
"button" on its tail end.  The larvae has brown markings on a green
background.  The markings are linear.  When viewed from above the dorsal
surface gives the impression of a series of green windows bordered by
brown.  The larva is quite aggressive.  When disturbed it holds on with its
anal prolegs and twists its head very quickly from side to side while
making a clicking sound.  The first time it displayed this behavior it was
an effective defense, even against this experienced collector.
     I have never seen this species before and it has me stumped.  I have
already photographed the larva but would dearly like to rear it.  Anyone
having information regarding an ID or larval hosts please contact me
directly at "[email-masked]".  Thank you in advance.

Bob Kriegel
Small Fruit Entomologist
Michigan State University

---

From: tf19 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 09:27:00 EDT

Sounds like an Abbot's Sphinx!  Best of luck rearing it -- I tried this year
with limited success.  -Tim