Subject: Vanessa cardui in the UK

From: Dave Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:17:05 +000

Quite a few were seen on 6 June near Driffield, North Yorkshire, UK

Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 14:03:13 GMT

>Quite a few were seen on 6 June near Driffield, North Yorkshire, UK

Hi Dave - my first this year has just flown past my widow at work (in
Crowthorne, Berkshire.  :-))

As interesting as all these sightings are, it begs a few questions:

1. is this amount of cardui _that_ unusual?
2. are there similar numbers of other migrators?
3. what has caused the sudden influx (weather/winds)?

Zero cloud cover and 30 degrees C - don't you just love it!  :-)

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

---

From: Andrew Syred <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 10:02:14 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Chris Raper
<[email-masked]> writes
>1. is this amount of cardui _that_ unusual?

For my money yes it most certainly is, I've seen dozens around the place
(Welsh/Shropshire border) during the past week or so when normally a
couple a season is considered as good going.

>2. are there similar numbers of other migrators?

Not that I've seen.

>3. what has caused the sudden influx (weather/winds)?

??
>Zero cloud cover and 30 degrees C - don't you just love it!  :-)

Be nice to get a bit of the action here.

Cheers,

Andrew

On-line Microscopy for Amateurs, Professionals and Big Kids alike
        ***** Visit http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk *****

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Pennington)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 12:43:02 +0100

The Cynthia (=Vanessa) cardui (Painted Lady) influx reached Shetland 
on 8th June. Over 30 sightings in the islands received so far. One or 
two Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral) as well.

Other migrants recorded - Plutella xylostella (Diamondback Moth) very 
common; Autographa gamma (Silver Y) common; Phlogophora meticulosa 
(Angle Shades) and Dark Sword Grass (Agrotis ipsilon) a few. 

Also some hoverflies - Metasyrphus (=Eupeodes) corollae, Episyrphus balteatus.

-- 
Mike Pennington
Baltasound, Unst, Shetland
[email-masked]
Shetland Entomological Group webpage http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/insects

---

From: David Emley <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jun 1996 12:19:18 GMT

I've just returned from Dorset where I witnessed the most amazing 
concentrations of Painted Lady butterflies. There were literally 
thousands - I've never seen anything like it.

There were lesser numbers of Red Admiral, two Clouded Yellows, 100s of 
Silver Y and 100s of the small micro - Rush Veneer. I also saw single 
Hummingbird Hawk and Bordered Straw.

Other butterflies included Lulworth Skipper (1), Dingy Skipper, Common, 
Holly and Adonis Blue, Brown Argus, Small Heath, Small White, Small 
Tortoiseshell (1), Orange-tip, Wall Brown and Peacock.

-- 
__________________________________________________
Dave Emley
Department of Earth Sciences, Keele University, UK
e-mail: [email-masked]