Subject: Nymphalis polychloros larvae in Holland

From: Kars Veling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 01:30:44 +0200

Hi all,

This morning I got a phone-call from a lepidopterist from the south of
Holland (Limburg) who had 80 larvae of the Large tortoishell (Nymphalis
polychloros) on Ulmus in his garden.

Why is this so special????

Because this species has only been seen incidentely in Holland since 1980.
This is the first larvae-sighting since the sixties!

This species has been rather abundant last year, with more than 15
sightings.  Apparentely some of them survived the winter and have been able
to breed.
Now still waiting for the Camberwell beauty (Nymphalis antiopa) to follow!

Greetings, Kars
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kars Veling & Annette van Berkel
Akkerwinde 10
4102 JJ Culemborg
The Netherlands
tel/fax: (NL) 0345 531689
+++++++++++++++++++++++++