Subject: TNC Butterflies

From: PAUL J JOHNSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:21:56 CST

RESEARCHER WANTED

The Nature Conservancy's newly established Northern Tallgrass Prairie
Stewardship Initiative is seeking a qualified and experienced contractor
to conduct inventories to determine the composition of prairie
butterfly populations on Conservancy managed preserves in eastern
South Dakota, southwestern Minnesota, and northwestern Iowa.  The
inventory, to begin in the spring of 1995 and continue for two
consecutive years, will examine approximately 15,000 acres of mixed
and tallgrass prairie community types on 23 sites.  The Conservancy is
particularly interested in determining the presences and densities of
the Dakota skippere (Hesperia dacotae), Ottoe skipper (Hesperia ottoe),
Powesheik skipper (Oarisma powesheik), and Regal fritillary (Speyeria
idalia), but all species encountered will need recording.

Interested persons should submit a proposal that should include a
time table, fee schedule, proposed methodology, and resume to:

      Mr. David Breyfogle
      The Nature Conservancy
      Northern Tallgrass Prairie Stewardship Initiative
      405 South 3rd Ave., Suite 102
      Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104

      tel. 605-331-0619;  fax. 605-334-7336

==================================================================

Paul J. Johnson
Assist. Prof. & Curator
Insect Research Collection
South Dakota State University
email: [email-masked]