Subject: Monarchs at Natural Bridges State Park, Santa Cruz, California

From: Richard Moss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 22:33:39 -0800

I visited this site at Santa Cruz today, to see 20,000+ Monarch butterflies
 settled in the
Eucalyptus trees. It is quite an amazing sight, especially when the sun comes
 out which spurs
many of them to fly (Monachs have difficulty flying at temperatures below 55F).
 I understand that
the numbers are now dwindling as they travel on their migratory path.

The butterflies can be seen at this site from October to mid-February each year.
 Anyone who is
able to visit this sight should do so.

The site consists of a boardwalk to the group of trees where the butterflies can
 be seen. There
is often a ranger nearby to answer questions. At this site there is also a
 shop/museum where a
video of the Monarch's migration/lifecycle is shown.

If anyone has more information on this site or other locations on the West
 Coast, USA, I would be
very pleased to hear about them.

Regards,

Richard Moss.