Subject: Re: Call for FAQs

From: Sam Droege <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 16:47:55 MST

Alan and others interested in butterfly monitoring:

     I have started some early discussions with NABA folks on the
     possibilities of developing standardized field checklists into a
     monitoring program for lep groups to use.  By simply recording the
     species observed along with some location, time, weather, and activity
     variables on a checklist every time you and others are in the field,
     its often possible to combine such coarse observations into a very
     effective means of tracking trends, gathering distribution data,
     identifying hotspots, phenological charts, etc.  Combining checklists
     with atlases increases the value of atlas projects immensely (this
     goes for bird atlases too).

     I would be glad to work with any groups interested in developing such
     a system and can send out some materials in draft form that outline
     the general concepts.

     sam

   0<    0-      0<    0-      0<    0-      0<
->>)   ->>)   ->>)   ->>)   ->>)   ->>)   ->>)
  L      L      L      L      L      L      L

 Sam Droege  [email-masked]
 w 301-497-5840 h 410-798-6759 fax 301-497-5784
 NBS, 12100 Beech Forest Dr., Laurel, Md 20708

I bet with every Wind that blew
Till Nature in chagrin
Employed a Fact to visit me
And scuttle my Balloon-
  -Dickinson

______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject: Call for FAQs
Author:  "Lepidoptera List (LEPS-L)" <[email-masked]> at
9DE~INTR
Date:    2/14/95 10:27 AM

I would very much appreciate material on "population monitoring" and
"conservation of habitat" for rare species. I believe that Sam Droege
of the NBS has an interest in this area. I heard his presentation at
last May's first meeting of the NABA and that really got me thinking
(particularly in light of my years running Breeding Bird Survey routes
here in Pa.).
Alan Gregory
Conyngham, PA.
*************************                 ****************************
* Monica E. Gregory, PH.D.
* Asst. Prof, Psychology                  "After all, tomorrow is
* Penn State Hazleton                       another day"
* Hazleton PA 18201                            - S. O'Hara
* Internet: [email-masked]
* Tel:(717)450-3188

---

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 17:30:39 -0500

> a system and can send out some materials in draft form that outline

Sam, I would very much appreciate receiving a copy of your draft outline. I
did take some of your handouts home from the NABA meeting (I wish that you
had been given more time that day), but I don't know where NABA and/or the
Leps Society stands on all this at this point. I do know that Jeff Glassberg
is also very much interested in the butterfly conservation/monitoring arena,
but next to nothing has been sent to NABA members to date about the subject
of population monitoring.

So, please do send me a copy of your draft proposal. I also hope to get in
contact with the Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Inventory (TNC) people at
the urging of Bud Cook, who runs the conservancy's Pocono office.
Alan C. Gregory
PO Box 571
Conyngham, PA 18219-0571
*************************                 ****************************
* Monica E. Gregory, PH.D.
* Asst. Prof, Psychology                  "After all, tomorrow is
* Penn State Hazleton                       another day"
* Hazleton PA 18201                            - S. O'Hara
* Internet: [email-masked]
* Tel:(717)450-3188

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:28:27 GMT

Two points of clarification:

1) This FAQ will only contain information on books in print. Perhaps
another FAQ could deal with the archive of materials that have been
published in the past, however this would be a very considerable task.

2) if you send material please send it in *exactly* the following format:

Title: Butterfly Gardening: Craeting Summer Magic in Your Garden
Author: Xerxes Society in association with the Smithsonian Institution
Date of Publication: 1990
Publisher: Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, California
ISBN Number: 0-87156-615-X
Specifics: 192 pages; many color photos
Region covered: North America
Description: Much useful information on the design & creation of 
butterfly 
	gardens. Good Appendicies on nectar & larval food plants for many North
	American butterflies.
Price: $18.95

Without quoting the descriptive notes I made etc. This will save me 
considerable editorial work. I would like to be able to simply cut and
paste submissions into the FAQ without doing a lot of editorial work
on each individual entry.

Cheers!

Christopher Majka
--
Christopher Majka
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Internet: <[email-masked]> & <[email-masked]>
Home Page: URL = http://www.cfn.cs.dal.ca/~aa051