Subject: Re: 30,000,000 Aliens (fwd)

From: "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 19:36:47 GMT

Pardon the PUN but couldn't the figure 30,000,000 mean the total number of
insects on the planet, this would mean about 30 specimens of each of the
1,000,000 actual insect species on the planet.

This is a reasonable figure if one listens to the doom-and-gloom brigade.

YUK YUK

Sorry about the silly post but I could not resist it.

Andrew

---

From: [email-masked] (Kip Will)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 21:32:57 GMT

>Andrew

T.Erwin in 1982 gives the figure 30,000,000 *species* extrapolated
>from  canopy fogging data in the neotropics. Even if this an order of
magnatude off, we still have alot of critters yet to be studied out
there. Hope we do kill'em all first.

Kip Will

---

From: [email-masked] (Kip Will)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 21:34:51 GMT

Whao!, sloppy typing kills. Wrong version sent. try this one.

>magnitude off, we still have a lot of critters yet to be studied out
>there. Hope we do not kill'em all first.