Subject: Lep DNA extraction

From: Susan Jane Hogarth <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jan 1996 21:52:17 GMT

Hi, 

Any good DNA extraction protocols? I'm especially interested in ones used on
Heliothis (successfully :)

Thanks!
-- 

Susan Jane Hogarth
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/s/sjhogart/public/home.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Mitchell)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 10:55:01 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Heliothis (successfully :)

For our work on the molecular systematics of Noctuoidea and Bombycoidea, 
our lab routinely uses the "DNA/RNA Isolation Kit" of U.S. Biochemical.  
It is easy to use, quick (about 90 minutes), and we get good recovery of 
both nuclear single-copy DNA and RNA (yes it works well in Heliothis!).  
In short, it's  recommended.

Andrew Mitchell
Department of Entomology
University of Maryland

---

From: Wayne F Wehling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:46:24 -0500

Hi Susan,

Try contacting Dr.Dorothy Pashly at Louisianna State University, Dr. Felix
Sperling and U C Berkeley, or Chris Simon and U. Conn. Storrs(sp?).  I don't
have anything on the computer but I could FAX or mail you a protocol.

Wayne Wehling
Dept. Entomology
Mich. St. Univ.
East Lansting, MI 48824

[email-masked]

---

From: tf19 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 16:21:00 EST

>Heliothis (successfully :)

We use U.S. biochemical Corp. DNA/RNA isolation kit #73750; it works very
well, and we have done many different heliothine noctuid moths.