Subject: Re[2]: Artificial caterpillar foof [via LSMTP - see www.lsof

From: Rebecca Jolly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:28:03 GMT

Stephen,

     No problem!

     The following diet I am rearing Adoxophyes orana larvae on:

     casein                                  17.5g sucrose
                    17.5g yeast powder                            15.0g
     wheatgerm                               15.0g

     carboxymethylcellulose                  2.5g            ) sorbic acid
                                7.5g            )
     p-hydroxy-benzoic acid ethyl ester      0.8g
     )--preservatives benzoic acid                            1.0g
       )
     30% formaldehyde                        0.5g            )
     choline chloride                        2.0g in 10ml distilled water

     agar                                    12.5g distilled water
                    500ml

     apple leaves                            50g fresh weight

     Dissolve agar in the distilled water, using a microwave (about 10-15
      minutes on full power, stirring occasionally).
     Cool to about 60dC.
     Mix all other ingredients, except the leaves, together and add to the
      agar.
     Crush the leaves by hand.
     Cool to about 40dC and add the crushed leaves. Pour into container (I
     use sandwich boxes!)

     I store the diet in a fridge and it seems to keep very well.  In
     Autumn I freeze-dry bundles of leaves (50g fresh weight) and use these
     during the winter instead of fresh, and the larvae seem just as happy!

     The following diet I am rearing Cydia pomonella larvae on:

     maize meal                              38.0g)
     yeast powder                            10.0g)-----dry ingredients
     wheatgerm                                9.2g)

     ascorbic acid                            2.8g  )
     benzoic acid                             1.2g  )___preservatives
     methylparahydroxybenzoate                0.92g )
     30% formaldehyde                         0.64ml)

     agar                                     5.32g distilled water
                     200 ml

     Dissolve agar in water in microwave. Cool to about 60dC.
     Add preservatives, then dry ingredients.  Pour into container.

     I hope this is useful!  I would be interested to hear how succesful
     you are.

     Rebecca

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: Artificial caterpillar foof [via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.c
Author:  "Lepidoptera List (LEPS-L)" <[email-masked]> at
INTERNET-MAIL
Date:    20/05/96 15:03

sorry about the foof instead of food.Anyway,yes,I would like to recieve your
recipes.If you have a substitute for citrus and machaerium it would be very
interesting:for papillios and morphos.
Thanks
Stephen Fried.
Sweden.