Subject: cecropia pupa

From: "Gregory J. Watkins-Colwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:01:21 -0400

I am live in Connecticut and am rearing cecropia larva for the first time.
 Today, I find a larva is pupating.  What do I do NOW?  I assume they
over-winter as pupa.  Do I refrigerate it until next spring?  That seems like
a long time to be chilled.  What ever do I do?!
Help.

Thanks,
greg

---

From: Thomas J Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 18:19:56 -0400

Having suddessfully raised Cecropias in Ne PA for the last two or three
years, I feel pretty safe in saying let Mother Nature do her thing...with
precautions.  I've always placed mine in a plastic or glass container
with a screen or mesh top.  This is kept on a covered but not enclosed
porch.  This way they are exposed to the humidity, temperature changes,
etc. but not soaked or exposed to predators.  One year I misted them.
This year I did not.  About the same umber emerged both years.  The only
difference being that I had almost all females this year and I doubt that
could be related to misting!
                                                Good Luck!
                                                Claudia Hill