Subject: Pheromones sessidae

From: Bart Vanholder <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 May 1995 21:36:58 GMT

Hello,

Since 2 years I use pheromones in Belgium, Europe to study 'Sesiidae'.
Are there any netmates using pheromones just like me ? All observations are welcome.
send e-mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Philipp Kirsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 11:31:35 -0400

Hello Bart,

In what way are your using the Sessid pheromones, and for which moth species.

I have been working in their use for mating disruption as a pest management
technique, and also as monitoring tools for pest management decision making.
My company, IPM Technologies supplies lures and traps for Sessiids as well as
many other insect pests.

Best regards,      Philipp Kirsch
email: [email-masked]

---

From: Matti Ahola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 00:03:08 +0300

>send e-mail to [email-masked]

Hi, Bart and Philipp!

Sesiidae is the most interesting family of Micros. I have studied some years
the activity of males with feromones and also with females. Nowadays my data
consists of about 1700 visits of males of different species. My method is
simple: I'm waiting near by a row of different lures and if a male is coming
to visit, I'll write down the exact time of visit. Of course, it is
necessary to identify the species, too. If you, or somebody else out there,
have such a information of Sesiidae males, I would really be intrested.

Perhaps we could exchange experiences. I'm working mainly in Scandinavia,
but in addition once in Canada.

Cheers!

Matti Ahola
[email-masked]

---

From: "Charles V. Covell Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 17:51:07 EDT

Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONE: (502) 852-6771

I would like to take a variety of compounds, ready to put out and use,
to Costa Rica, and see if any local species respond to those for which
N. American species are known to respond.  I have done just a little bit
with some, but without documenting the compound used.  We leave on 15
May.  Any chance I could obtain small samples to try out down there?
Thanks for responding.  Charlie Covell

Charles V. Covell Jr.
Prof. of Biology
Univ. of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292-0001  U.S.A.    Phone: (502) 852-6771