Subject: Identify these, Please (take 3)

From: "Phil Schappert <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 15:58:37 -0500

[email-masked] asked for help regarding some determinations of
butterflies on stamps.  While I *do* collect said stamps I'm not an
expert.  Fortunately, I do know THE expert (one Alan Hanks of which
Charlie Covell spoke) and since I was going to see him at a Toronto
Entomologists' Association meeting on Feb. 25, I printed out
the request and gave it to him.  His reply is as follows:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Latin names and families  -  Note: some of these were spelled
   incorrectly in the original list

Aedia sericea Morrison ??       Pyralidae       Pacific area
Anticarsia irrorata Fabr.       Noctuidae       Pacific area
Automeris janus Cr.             Saturniidae     S. America
Borbo borbonica Boisd.          Hesperiidae     African region
Catonephele numilia Cr.         Nymphalidae     S. America
Calamia tridens occidentalis Cockayne   Noctuidae       Ireland
Cephonodes picus Cr.            Sphingidae      Pacific area
Ceratinia nise Cr.              Ithomiidae      S. America
Coeliades forestan Stoll.       Hesperiidae     African region
Diaphania indica Saunders       Pyralidae       Pacific area
Eroessa chilensis Guerin        Pieridae        S. America
Haetera piera L.                Satyridae       S. America
Herpetogramma licarsalis Walker ??      Pyralidae       Pacific area
Hypsochila wagenknechti Ureta   Pieridae        S. America
Iolaphilus julus Hew.           Lycaenidae      African region
Iolaphilus menas Druce          Lycaenidae      African region
Mocis frugalis Fabr.            Noctuidae       Pacific area
Panacea                         Nymphalidae     S. America
Perizoma albulata  Schiff.      Geometridae     Faeroe Is.
Petrelaea dana de Niceville     Lycaenidae      Oriental region
Phaedyma fissizonata vella Eliot        Nymphalidae     Pacific area
Polyptychus coryndoni R.& J.    Sphingidae      African region
Rufoclanis rosea Druce          Saturniidae     African region
Selenophanes cassiope Cr.       Brassoliddae    S. America
Sufetula sunedisalis Walker     Pyralidae       Pacific area
Chillanella stelligera Butler   Satyridae       S. America
  (not Tetraphlebia stellygera)
Ypthima argus Leech             Satyridae       Oriental
Zizula hylax Fabr.              Lycaenidae      African region

2. English names to equivalent latin & area

Blue Copper     Lycaena heteronea Boisd.        Lycaenidae      U.S.A.
Blue Flasher    Astraptes fulgerator Walch.     Hesperiidae     C. Amer.
Blue Wave       Myscelia cyaniris Dbldy.        Nymphalidae        do
Buckeye         Junonia coenia Hubner   Nymphalidae     Americas
California Sister  (wrong name) Euphydryas sp.  Nymphalidae     U.S.A.
Chiriucahua Metalmark   Apodemia phyciodoides B.& B`    Riodinidae
                        C. Amer.
Lustrous Copper         Lycaena cuprea Edwards  Lycaenidae      U.S.A.
Red Passion-flower      Heliconius melpomene Linn.      Heliconiidae
                        Americas
Ruddy Copper            Lycaena rubida Behr     Lycaenidae      U.S.A.
Small Flambeau  Heliconius aliphera Godart      Heliconiidae    S.Amer.
Tailed Copper           Tharsalea arota Boisd.  Lycaenidae      U.S.A.
Viceroy         Limenitis archippus Cr. Nymphalidae     N. Amer.

Info. from Alan J. Hanks, 34 Seaton Drive, Aurora, Ontario, Canada L4G 2K1
(no e-mail)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan was not able to help with the German names (whadya want for free?!).
A side note to Charlie: I'm working on him, he WILL have e-mail before
too long...

Phil Schappert
[email-masked]