Subject: The Collecting Debate

From: Dr ED Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 08:23:10 +000

I have been reading with interest the debate on collecting in National
Parks and, by default, the question of collecting in general.

There are few restrictions on collecting in the UK.  I believe that
collecting insects does not pose a significant problem in the majority
of cases and I suggest the following points are taken into account:

a)  if the collecting code is adhered to, there should not be any
problems except in the rarest of cases;

b)  I would assume that virtually all professional entomologists
started at an early age as enthusiastic amateurs, probably collecting.
 It is important to encourage children to take an interest in all natural
history - the only way this is possible in entomology is through the
use of a net, even if the specimens are caught and released.  It is
necessary to keep a small reference collection since just looking in a
book is not sufficient.

c)  I would challenge any Lepidopterist to identify most species of
microlepidoptera (or macrolepidoptera) without catching them, or
dissecting them.

d)  Many recorders will not believe sightings of difficult to identify
species without physical evidence.  A photograph is possible but not
always useful as shown by the recent messages about posing
underwing moths for photography.

I think that Ken Philip's comments are exactly right.

The requirement for a permit to even wield a net would dissuade our
younger enthusiasts who, after all, are the next generation of
entomologists!
Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664

---

From: "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 14:56:37 -0700

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Dr ED Chesmore wrote:
(stuff deleted)
> younger enthusiasts who, after all, are the next generation of

Lest our lepidopterous brethren from across the seas get the wrong idea
- collecting is permitted in most - if not all - of our National Forests,
Bureau of Land Management managed public lands, and possibly in National
Recreation Areas (does anyone know for sure about this last category?).
Even the US Nature Conservancey has an agreement with certain
organizations to allow collecting in (some of?) their reserves with the
understanding that the specimens be turned over to them.  The NC is
vitally interested as to what animals are on their reserves.
Naturally the collection anywhere of officially endangered and threatened
species is forbidden everywhere.
Does anyone know if insect collecting is allowed in the new East Mojave
National Preserve - or is this area only open to taking game?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
                        33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List

---

From: Ms Fortune <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 10:38:54 -0700

As an advocate for such efforts as Xerces and now NABA, but a member of
the Lep. Soc., I'd like to perhaps advocate the "catch and release" method,
(w/ just a short time in a collecting jar to temporarily disable a
specimen to confirm identity; and hopefully this can be practiced on less
vunerable species, since 'timing' is rather critical... (NABA isn't too
crazy about this, I know...). I think the general public is interested in
learning the species (without harming them), but it's not always
convenient to take a box of pinned specimens along with you, nor is a
field guide that useful, (as good as they are) when you're starting out...
_any feedback would be appreciated_

Sharyn Fernandez
Contra Costa County IS
Mount Diablo...
(Mt. Diablo Interpretive Association, MDSP)

---

From: "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 00:37:34 -0700

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Samuel Sun wrote:

> "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I may have fallen behind the times, but I thought it was East Mojave
> National PARK, and thus, collecting is not allowed...
>
> Sam Sun
>

Sam-
Thanks to the NRA and cattle interests a compromise was made to downgrade
this area to allow hunting and some grazing.  It's official title is East
Mojave National Reserve to allow these activities not allowed in national
parks.  Again my question to any NF&W types - Since shooting of Big Horn
Sheep is allowed here - is Leps collecting of non-endangered species also
allowed (with a net - or do you have to shoot them with a rifle? :-)  )
I am not a collector - just curious.  No flames please!

---

From: [email-masked] (Samuel Sun)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 05:35:08 GMT

Sam Sun