Subject: Thousands of Monarchs at Point Pelee

From: davi165@undefined
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 22:45:24 GMT

Yesterday, September 17th, a "wall" of monarch butterflies passed through Point Pelee National Park near Windsor, Ontario. Chief Naturalist Tom Hince, with four others, calculated the number of monarchs by measuring the number of monarchs in view in their scopes over time. They estimated that at least 350,000 monarch butterflies passed through the park yesterday!

Don Davis

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry H)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:11:18 GMT

>Don Davis

What a wonderful sight to have seen.

I wonder; could a person predict their
movement and get ahead of them?

Here in the Adirondacks, Monarch reproductive
activity seemed good, but participants were 
very few.  Its good to know there were good 
returns somewhere.

Larry Hogan, N.NY

---

From: [email-masked] (Trish Brown)
Date: 21 Sep 1996 01:51:32 GMT

Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

What about Monarch sightings on the West
Coast? Anyone have info on this?

TB

---

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:12:44 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (Larry H) says:

>davi165@undefined wrote:
>
>>Yesterday, September 17th, a "wall" of monarch butterflies passed 
>>through Point Pelee National Park near Windsor, Ontario. Chief Naturalist 
>>Tom Hince, with four others, calculated the number of monarchs by 
>>measuring the number of monarchs in view in their scopes over time. They 
>>estimated that at least 350,000 monarch butterflies passed through the 
>>park yesterday!
>
>>Don Davis
>
>I wonder; could a person predict their movement and get ahead of them?
>
>Here in the Adirondacks, Monarch reproductive activity seemed good, but 
>participants were >very few.  Its good to know there were good returns 
>somewhere.
>
>Larry Hogan, N.NY

You guys are indeed lucky.

I was in west central Ohio a couple weeks ago (my wife's mother died and 
we went to the burial service in Versailles on August 31), and had the 
pleasure of seeing more monarchs (well, ok, almost) in the time we were 
there than pierids!  Pieris rapae, if counted separately, was outdone by 
something like 8:6 or so, though :-) .  One even obligingly died on the 
sidewalk in front of us; needless to say, I showed it to my wife and her 
father, and our daughter, neither of whom had ever seen one up close and 
personal.

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California