Subject: Re: cecropia pupa

From: KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 12:53:22 -0400

This year I reared my Cecropia in large Rubbermaid plastic tubs with a
screened vent hole in the top. Other than the Cecropia  these tubs have
worked very well for me. I keep the food very fresh. We've had record heat
and drought in Tenn. this year.....96 degrees today and humid. I get my ova
by hanging out a tethered female and    getting a wild male to come in
mate. Fertility hasn't been a problem with the Cecropia. Do you have
Polyphemus up in Minnesota?
"(*

---

From: [email-masked] (DTDerekson)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 16:53:11 -0400

Two cents on refridgeration...I had great success overwintering in a
fridge that I had to defrost. Overwintering in a frost-free fridge
resulted in dessication. I keep the critters in my garage now (protected
>from  mice).

As to when they'll emerge, I thought one year my polyphemus would
overwinter. Imagine my surprise when they eclosed in the fall! Who can
tell?