Subject: Uk Migrant Butterflies & Moths

From: "T.M.Hotten" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jun 1996 20:01:48 GMT

The week ending June 9th has seen an unprecedented (for me) invasion of 
painted ladies and latterly silver-Y moths into Hampshire and surrounding 
counties. Often these two species are the main flying species which may be 
 due to the poor weather we have had so far this spring.

So far I have not seen any clouded yellows or large whites. I hope the 
latter does not turn into yet another endangered species.

Terry Hotten, Farnborough.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:13:40 GMT

>Terry Hotten, Farnborough.

I heard of a C.crocea sighting on a reserve just west of Henley today.
On an Oxfordshire Invertibrate Group outing In SOuth Oxfordshire
(Nettlebed) there were V.cardui all over the place and must rank as
the commonest species of butterfly in places. As the moths - plenty of
A.gamma, P.xylostella and 1000s of Nomophila noctuella (Rush Veneer).
Also got a 'Birch Sawfly' (Cimbex femoratus) - an amazing insect (look
it up in a book if you don't know it). 

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.