Subject: Actinic Tube Setups

From: "Mr P. Verdon" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Apr 1996 19:09:45 GMT

Whilst reading the recent debate about possible damage to eyesight from 
UV lights, I was interested in some of the newsgroup members who had 
attinic setups involving 5 foot tubes! Having only used Robinson traps 
and small attinic traps with 8w tubes, I am curious as to how these 
"monster" tubes are set up? Prehaps some of these attinic specialists 
would be kind enough to shed some information on how these are rigged 
up? I would be particularly grateful if anyone could answer the 
following questions.

1. How can one obtain these large attinic tubes (and I assume control 
gear), in the UK?

2. I presume the tubes are used with a sheet rather than a trap? What 
is the arrangement for suspending the tube over the sheet?

3. Are there any lightweight forms of power supply rather than the car 
battery/inverter/generator variety? I am thinking in terms of a sheet 
light that could be carried physically over a long distance, prehaps in 
a rucsack? Thus enabling hitherto unexplored and remote areas to be 
surveyed. I have always felt torn between the powerful (but heavy) 
Robinson traps and the lightweight (but rather low light output - 8w), 
attinic trap.

Peter Verdon
United Kingdom