Subject: Re: Wanted:Thermoregulation of butterflies

From: Maxim A. Klepikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 15:23:48 +0300

In article <[email-masked]> Richard Muise writes:

>   Hello. I am looking for information on the thermo-regulation of
>   butterflies (as the subject suggests). I am most interested in information
>   pertaining to butterfly basking. Does anyone have any good pointers to
>   this subject. I've used WWW search engines, archie, and gopher,
>   and none have found anything really in this subject.

     I can recommend to You the article:
"Pile erection in noctuid moth (Lepidoptera,  Noctuidae)"/Yu.  F.  Iv-
lev//Actias (New  Russian  Journal  of  Scientific   Lepidopterology),
Vol.1, Nos 1-2, p. 33-36, in Engl.
     Abstract: Mamallas and birds can vary their  heat  insulation  by
raising hairs or feather up.  Some small furry endothermic insects may
do the same as well.  Here report the evidens for "pile  erection"  in
noctuid moths,  Scoliopterix libatrix (L.).  The moth "pile erection",
wich increases body diameter by 1,2-1,3 times,  implies well developed
mechanisms of chair displacement and may be involved in insect thermo-
regulation.
     This is suitable for You?
     Yours faithfully,
     Max.
--- 
Maxim A. Klepikov
Tutaev's Nature House
email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Trier)
Date: 29 Jan 1995 18:50:58 GMT

>email: [email-masked]

Bernd Heinrich has a book called Insect Thermoregulation published by John
Wiley and Sons.  It's dated though. 1981.

Terry Trier			
Entomology Dept.		
Michigan State University		
[email-masked]