Subject: Correction on Bates and Wallace's Travels

From: Jim Hanlon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:51 -0500

In the mid 1800's, Henry Walter Bates travelled west from Santarem (not east)
observing and collecting thousands of specimens which ended up in the British
Natural History Museum. He later went to author "The Naturalist on the River
Amazons", a brilliant account of the natural history of Amazonian fauna and
life. Alfred Wallace travelled northwest (not northeast) from Santarem along
the Rio Negro. He also collected and observed insects and other fauna and
concurrent with Darwin, Wallace also substantiated and proved the theory of
evolution.

Both of these men are good examples of real men of science who obviously
benefitted from collecting and contributed significantly to the advancement
of mankind. To ban all collecting, or to make the permitting process too
difficult and costly, will keep todays great men of science (amateur and
professional) from becoming great and discovering many needed items such as a
cures for cancer and other diseases. So I strongly urge all lawmakers who
have the entire planet in mind including all lifeforms, think very hard about
the stiffling effects that such strong anti-collecting laws can indirectly
have on the real advancement of civilization for all. You would be amazed at
what real life field experience can do for the development of ones scientific
mind. Lets promote rather than discourage science.

Obrigado,

Jim Hanlon