Subject: Watermelon bait

From: John Himmelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:54:49 -0400

Hello "Moth"ers

I discovered a great moth attractant last night, although many of you may
already be aware of it.  Fermented Watermelon!  I went to treat myself to a
little of the watermelon last night and discovered that it smelled like cheap
wine.  It was a large quarter section and instead of throwing it out, I went
outside and smashed it against a few trees (I'm a little embarrassed to admit
how much fun that was).

An hour later I went out and discovered that it was covered with several species
of moths - including;  five Catocala ilias, one C. andromedae, and one
C.ultronia.  Lots of Amphipyra pyramidoides (Copper Underwings), and many, many
Idia lubricalis (Glossy Black Idias), which I didn't even know were in the area
since they shun my black lights.  There was also one Noctua pronuba, lapping up
the juice with a proboscus about the legnth of its body.

The fermented smell was very strong - it would hit me before I was within 5 feet
of the tree.  It worked better than the brew I had been painting on the trees in
the previous nights.

I can see myself now lurking around the fruit section of the local grocery
stores as they rotate their old watermelons..."What, uhmm, are you gonna do with
that...?"

Best -

John
**************************
John Himmelman, CT USA
[email-masked]
**************************