Subject: Re: South Florida February Butterflies

From: Chauncey Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 13:51:17 +0001

Thanks to Dick Walton for distributing his South Florida
butterfly list.  As a newcomer to this list let me say that such lists
and site guides are very welcome.

        My wife and I were in South Florida in January and visited some
of the same sites, although spending a week in the Keys.  We did not
butterfly intensively at all.  Our list was quite similar, although not
as extensive.  A query:  where did you find Georgia Satyr?  It is a
species that has eluded us in both north and south Florida.

        We had Dorantes Skipper on Big Pine Key and elsehwere--it seems
much commoner now than when we were in the same area in 1992.

        Walton's list did not have Malachite.  We were fortunate enough
to see 8-10 Malachites while looking [unsuccessfully] for a LaSagra's
Flycatcher.  The location is Treetops Park in Davie, Florida--not far
from Fort Lauderdale.  From I-75 head east on Griffin Road--from
Florida's Turnpike head west.  Go to 101st Ave. and turn north--the
entrance to the park is on the east side about 1/4 mile from the Griffin
Rd. intersection.  Entry is free during the week; $1 per person on
weekends.  We saw Malachites, Ruddy Daggerwings and Julias near the
visitor centre and also half a mile behind the centre
following a bridal path.  The park is not far from a tourist attraction
called "Flamingo Gardens"  [gasp] that should be easy to find on maps of
the area.

        Cheers,

        --Chauncey Wood

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chauncey Wood                           E-mail:     [email-masked]
Department of English                   Telephone:  (905) 525-9140, ext. 23742
McMaster University                     Fax:        (905) 577-6930
Hamilton ON  L8S 4L9  Canada
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Scofield)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 22:00:08 GMT

In article <>, Chauncey Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
)         Walton's list did not have Malachite.  We were fortunate enough
) to see 8-10 Malachites while looking [unsuccessfully] for a LaSagra's
) Flycatcher.  The location is Treetops Park in Davie, Florida--not far
) from Fort Lauderdale.

That's a good recommendation, i too have seen several Malachites at
Tree Tops, often in a big sunny patch of flowering Ageratum.  Tree Tops
is pretty "butterfly-y", as is Fern Forest Nature Center also in Broward
Cty.  We've seen a number of Orange-barred Sulfurs there recently.

doog
--
doug scofield                       [email-masked]
harris computer systems             ft lauderdale, florida
         "our little blue world baby upside down"