Subject: Aquatic insects

From: [email-masked] (Nick Longrich)
Date: Mon, 01 May 1995 16:28:50 -0900

This has nothing to do with lepidoptera, but it does have to do with
insects, so...
   I'm in Princeton, New Jersey, and I'm looking for some interesting
insects, and particularly aquatic insects. There are supposed to be
predatory water-bugs, water-scorpions, and some big Dytiscid (is that
spelled right?) diving beetles in the state, so I was wondering if anybody
could give me some hints on what kind of water to look in. I don't have
much experience with most of these insects, being from Alaska, which has a
rather impoverished insect fauna (although I have managed to catch some of
those ferocious diving beetle larvae). 
   Anyway, I'm just looking to catch some of these for pets, keep them for
a couple weeks to observe, and then return them to the wild, so if anyone
could give me some hints, I'd appreciate it-
  -thanks

   nick longrich

---

From: [email-masked] (CAMPBELL ROBERT)
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 04:09:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>could give me some hints, I'd appreciate it-
     I have caught the Dytiscids and giant water bugs(Belostomatids) in 
smallish ponds that don't have large fish in them,  the type I trap for 
minnows in.  I have also seen them in larger lakes,  but not in lesser 
abundance.  A walk along a moderately weedy shoreline should net you 
something,  and you can just catch them by hand(be careful,  they bite!). 
They can be caught with little fuss in a regular minnow trap,  but if
they're left in too long they'll drown.  If you live near water,  you 
also might find them around your porch light at night,  as they can fly 
and are attracted to light.
     If you're lucky,  you might net yourself a dragonfly larvae as 
well.  They're pretty ferocious predators too.  Most of the larger 
species, (like Darners and Skimmers) have really big labia for grasping 
prey and will attack almost anything.  If they're in an aquarium and
you walk into the room,  they might even track you,  thinking you're
something to eat.  You're more likely to find these along rocky 
shorelines.  They're typically black and laterally flattened.
     There are a few other common aquatic insects like mayflies,  
caddisflies,  and stoneflies that you will probably come across but most 
are not predacious and may not be as fun to watch.  However,  they might 
make good food for the predaceous fellows,  especially if you plan to 
keep them for a couple of weeks.
Good Luck!
Rob C.