Subject: Butterfly Herb Preferences

From: Mike Dole <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 12:48:32 -0700

to:  all leps users
from:  claire hagen dole, butterfly gardeners' quarterly, [email-masked]

I'm writing an article for my fall issue about herb gardens for butterflies.
I'd like to ask for input from leps users about butterflies' herbs
preferences, the more specific the better (plant varieties, cultivars, etc.,
also butterfly species).  I seem to recall a discussion last year about
whether hyssop was attractive to butterflies; any conclusion?  (So far
they haven't shown interest in mine, but I think they're distracted by the
Buddleia.)

I'm accessing leps via my husband's office, and he's not currently
subscribing to it.  Please respond to [email-masked].  Anyone who
responds will receive a copy of the issue (early Sept. printing, bulk mail
can take a couple of weeks).  You may even get quoted in the
article--what a deal!  Make sure you include your home address.  Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Roberts)
Date: 1 Aug 96 14:02:16 -0700

I have Hyssop in my garden in Salisbury, UK, and although I can't 
recall having seen leps at the stuff, it is highly attractive to the 
uncommon solitary bee Anthophora quadrimaculata. Herbs are superb for 
attracting solitary aculeates, both bees and wasps. I keep a 
substantial bed full of the things.