Subject: Re: Questions from the 8th Grade...

From: Gerry Rising <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 19:27:51 -0400

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, MR GOFF wrote:
> James Atkins asks:  "Why do moths have those scales on their wings?"

James, answering why questions about nature is a dangerous undertaking.
There is an implication of some universal control that makes things the
way they are. When you start answering questions like why do we have
arms, we tend to answer by telling how we use them, but are those the
reasons we have them.

At any rate, having entered that disclaimer, I will cite Scott's
Butterflies of North America: "The scales that cover the wings and body
lend the animal its coloration, help to insulate it from the cold, and
improve the aerodynamic efficiency of its wings." (p. 16) and then on p.
90: "The wing scales may initially have been used for camouflage, or for
decoration in attracting mates.... The other proven functions of scales
are as 'fur' for warmth; improving the airflow during flight (the hairs
of Trichoptera hinder the airflow); and as an escape device when the
animals are snared in spider webs." (Trichoptera are caddis flies.)

Specialists in this order may be able to give more thorough responses.
Meanwhile good luck in your study of these interesting and beautiful
flutterers.

Regards, Gerry

Gerry Rising                                  phone: 716-689-8301
295 Robinhill Drive                        messages: 716-645-3175
Williamsville, NY 14221-1639                    fax: 716-645-3161
---- e-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]