Subject: First Sightings

From: "Jerry W. Nagel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 10:21:20 GMT-5

>From  northeastern Tennessee for the period April 16-30, weather
continued dry and warm.

Red-banded Hairstreak - Calycropis cecrops - April 19
Appalachian Azure - Celastrina neglectamajor - April 19
Meadow Fritillary - Boloria bellona - April 28
Pearl Crescent - Phyciodes tharos - April 26
Red Admiral - Vanessa atalanta - April 28
Red-spotted Purple - Limenitis arthemis - April 19
Carolina Satyr - Hermeuptychia sosybius - April 29
Silver-spotted Skipper - Epargyreus clarus - April 20
Northern Cloudywing - Thorybes pylades - April 28
Sachem - Atalopedes campestris - April 26
Zabulon Skipper - Poanes zabulon - April 26

Other Notes:  At lower elevations (1500-2000') the spring univoltines
are reaching an end.  These include West Virginia White (Pieris
virginiensis), Falcate Orange-tip (Anthocharis midea), and Spring
Azure (Celastrina ladon).  I am assuming the last is indeed a
univoltine species distinct from the small Summer Azure that will show
up after the Appalachian Azure flight.  I have only seen one Henry's
Elfin (Callophrys henrici) all spring but assume they are also
finished since my one sighting was March 25.

It's 10:18 a.m., the sun is out and it's warming up, so I am off to do
my weekly cenus line.  Happy butterflying to all!