Subject: Monarch migration

From: Dick Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 15:51:43 -0400

A monarch butterfly was observed by Louise Zemaitis at Cape May Point, NJ
today (4/9/95) in an area known locally as "the Beanery". Details on weather
were not included with the report. There were a number of early sightings at
Cape May last year with the first on 11 April.

Cheers, Dick Walton

e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: William Calvert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 21:10:41 -0500

A mating pair of monarchs was observed on 8 April in Inez Texas near
Victoria close to the Gulf Coast. Both of the butterflies mating had
been raised from eggs collected in the wild in March. Upon eclosion they
were tagged and released. This was how they were known to be of the first
spring generation. The progeny of this mating
should then be very early examples of the second spring
generation. Normally the "spawning" of the second spring generation is
thought to occur much further north. In this case, this second spring
generation could begin its northward migration from near the Texas Coast!

Bill Calvert
Texas Monarch Watch
503 East Mary Street
Austin, Texas 78704

---

From: Jim Herndon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 08:52:25 -0500

Sighted a Monarch on April 2 in S.E. Oklahoma.  (34 48'N, 96 40'W)
      Temp = 74, sunny.  Wind = 10 from south (first south wind in 10 days)

      Sighted about 20 Monarchs on April 8 and 9.
      Temp = 83, sunny.  Wind = 15-20 from south.

      Jim Herndon

[email-masked]