Subject: Re: swan plant

From: [email-masked] (Hudson Dean)
Date: 13 Jun 1996 02:42:58 GMT

You have said it all about swan plants. I have noticed that some
bushes seem to attract monarch adults at this time of year (start of
winter). I was wondering if [email-masked] knows what
plants Monarch adults prefer to overwinter upon??

In article <v01540b00ade1d20552f8@[129.237.149.134]>,
	Monarch Watch <[email-masked]> writes:

>Re: Swan plant. Asclepias physocarpa, Asclepiadaceae - a milkweed species
>said to be originally from South Africa. This species has been introduced
>into a number of Pacific islands and into New Zealand where it has become
>quite "weedy" in disturbed sites. It appears to be an excellent host plant
>for monarchs. The plants I've grown attain a height of 1.25 meters. The
>plant is not freeze tolerant.
>

-- 

     __///     Hudson Dean			email: [email-masked]
    / o   \/   NIWA fisheries Research		phone: 04 386 0300
    \  >  /\   Wellington			fax:   04 386 0574
     `-\--     New Zealand