Subject: Ghost moth

From: Paul Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 12:49:32 +0100

Dear all,

I am an undergrad. biologist trying to obtain information for a project on
the mating behaviour of Hepialus humuli (the Ghost moth, or Ghost
Swift).  Particularly its variation in male colour with lattitude, and
connected leking behaviour.
 I have been unable to find any material related to this topic in the
literature, other than general accounts of the behaviour for
identification purposes.
  If anyone out there can give me any pointers to references etc. it would
be really helpful.

Many thanks.

Paul Watson

                       *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

    If, as estimates suggest, invertebrates make up 95% of all animal
        species, then statistically all the rest are errors(!)

                             Paul G. Watson
              St. Anne's College, Oxford, OX2 6HS  ENGLAND
                             (01865) 511347
                      [email-masked]

                       *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

---

From: 'BurkeZoology' C Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 22:34:47 -0700

> literature, other than general accounts of the behaviour for

I know no references on color variation, but believe there's a bit on 
mating behavior (perhaps with references) in E.B.Ford's classic book 
"Moths;" a reference you may not have heard of, which contains some 
interesting observations and speculations, is a book called "The Soul of 
the Ghost Moth" by Philip S. Callahan (Devin-Adiair Co., Old Greenwich, 
Connecticut, USA, 1981, 108 pp.).

--Rod Crawford, Burke Museum, University of Washington
[email-masked]