Subject: Re: A 1st Grade Homework assignment

From: Jim Herndon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 10:39:59 -0500

Donna Mallery writes:
>
> I am Stephanie. I want to know where a butterfly goes when it rains.
> Thank you.
>

   Stephanie,

        I once saw a butterfly hang upside down on the bottom of a big leaf
in a tree.  He did it for about 24 hours until it quit raining.  Then the
sun came out and he flew away.

Jim Herndon

---

From: [email-masked] (Constance F Carr)
Date: 2 May 1995 19:22:21 GMT

Jim Herndon ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Donna Mallery writes:
: >
: > I am Stephanie. I want to know where a butterfly goes when it rains.
: > Thank you.
: >

:    Stephanie,

:         I once saw a butterfly hang upside down on the bottom of a big leaf
: in a tree.  He did it for about 24 hours until it quit raining.  Then the
: sun came out and he flew away.

: Jim Herndon

On that note, insects also often require heat from the sun to fly.  Bees,
for example, sit in the sun to warm their bodies up to 35 degree Celsius. 
The bee cannot fly until this internal temperature is reached.  I imagine 
butterflies have a similar behavior.  

p.s.  Stephanie, its alright with me if you ask questions.  feel free 
anytime.

connie

---

From: Donna Mallery <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 May 1995 15:33:40 GMT

Since there has been a significant amount of responses to this question
I wanted to followup on the results>

First, I want to thank all the you, including many of you who
responding directly to me. The 1st grade teacher had read a book
to her class. (I think it was the book "Where does a butterfly go
when it rains?"). Apparently, the book leaves the question unanswered 
at the end. I did not realize that this was an unusual question; I 
just thought it would be "neat" to show my daughter the fascinating
world of internet. (We still support our library). When I took the 
responses back to the teacher, she was thrilled and amazed. She did 
not know anything about internet. She took the responses and show the 
class where you all are from by pointing to the map. Your contributions
made for an exciting day at school. Sometimes we never find out 
the positive impact we make by taking a little time to respond.

Thanks again!