Subject: Re: UK -larvae on polygonatum

From: "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:20:47 GMT

>At the Harlow Carr Botanical Gardens, Harrogate, Yorkshire, we noticed
>yesterday 27 July that the Solomon's Seal plants-polygonatum x hybrid- were
>infested by dove grey inch long larvae with black heads, smooth with
>indistinct and small black spots. The leaves in many cases were left as bare
>ribs.
>The infestation was specific to the polygonatum and occured in widely
>scattered plants.
>Any suggestions as to the nature of the beast?  Dave Howson

Yep! saw-fly larvae - ask a dipterist!

Andrew T.

---

From: [email-masked] (������)
Date: 30 Jul 1996 14:40:32 GMT

In the article, "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>, �ݪO: sci.entom.le wrote:
: >At the Harlow Carr Botanical Gardens, Harrogate, Yorkshire, we noticed
: >yesterday 27 July that the Solomon's Seal plants-polygonatum x hybrid- were
: >infested by dove grey inch long larvae with black heads, smooth with
: >indistinct and small black spots. The leaves in many cases were left as bare
: >ribs.
: >The infestation was specific to the polygonatum and occured in widely
: >scattered plants.
: >Any suggestions as to the nature of the beast?  Dave Howson
: Yep! saw-fly larvae - ask a dipterist!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^??
I think you should ask a hymenopterist!!!
: Andrew T.