Subject: A. gamma - UK immigration

From: Martin Honey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 09:33:46 GMT

>From  information just received there appears to be yet another wave of
immigrant Silver Y's (Autographa gamma) reaching Britain. Large numbers
have been reported THIS MORNING in Peacehaven, Sussex on the south coast
(Monday 22nd July).

******************************************************************
Martin R. Honey, Collections Management (Lepidoptera), Department
of Entomology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON,
SW7 5BD, Great Britain.
TELEPHONE: 0171 938 9338    International  +44 171 938 9338
FAX:       0171 938 8937    International  +44 171 938 8937
EMAIL:     [email-masked]
******************************************************************

---

From: "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:09:54 GMT

There are literally thousands in Cornwall!

I think they may be progeny of earlier arrivals.

Andrew T

---

From: Bart Vanholder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:07:22 +0000

>have been reported THIS MORNING in Peacehaven, Sussex on the south coast

Yep, larger numbers started to fly since they end of last week (19th
July).They are all very fresh, most likely a here born generation. However,
I had some in the light-trap suggesting that some are on the move. I often
trap gamma in the beginning of a suspected migration. Afterwards most of
them are only seen feeding at dusk on various flowers. On 20th and 21st I
counted each time more than 20 in the garden, feeding on Silene (Dioca),
Lavandula, Saponaria and Epilobium. Big surprise amongst a dozen gamma's I
netted one male Polychrysia moneta, a very scarce species in Belgium. The
previous record dates from 19 July 1988, and the last but one 1st July 1987.
Were there any more sightings of P. moneta?  It seems to have populations in
Holland and the UK, but could be a suspect migrant.
----------------------------------------------------------
Bart Vanholder
Belgian Migrant Lepidoptera Survey
Droeskouter 33
B-9450 Haaltert
Belgium
e-mail: [email-masked]
homepage Migrant Leps http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/
homepage Sesiidae     http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/sesiid/seslist
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 09:02:22 GMT

>Big surprise amongst a dozen gamma's I

Never seen one but have a specimen labelled 'Icehouse Wood, Oxfordshire, July
 1973'.

The species is resident in the UK and is expanding it's range, this is probably
 due to the increased planting up of it's foodplant (As a border perrenial) in
 many private gardens that being cultivars of Delphinium.

Andrew T