Subject: Re: Displaying moths -- help wanted

From: Rene Boutin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 01:01:07 -0500

At 11:50 96-12-02 -0600, you wrote:
>Irredescent colors fade the fastest, along with greens.  I have seen
>Luna moths faded to white
>
>G.Hanley
>
>the luna moth's color is in the membrane of the wing,whereas in most other
lepidoptera most of the color is in the scales or the hair.

---

From: guy a hanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:25:09 -0600

anything will fade eventually if exposed to light. if you want your
bugs to stay as close to original color as possible, they must be
stored in complete darkness. I try to cover all of the bases,
structural colors or not, and keep everything dark. light is one of
the most destructive elements to just about anything over the long
run.  Paint, textiles, wood, whatever.  the only thing a collector can
do is balance the desire of perfect coloration with the need for
viewing or display. Any insect kept in constant light must be
considered expendable.

G. Hanley

---

From: elizabeth munger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 00:33:22 -0800

Hello-

Dous anyone know how to contact James Scott, author "The Butterflies of
North America" and Geyata Ajilvila (spelling is wrong), author "Southern
Butterfly Gardens"?  Other than contacting their publishers? Are they on
the Internet?

Thanks,  Elizabeth

---

From: "Edward J. O'Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 10:36:47 EST

Elizabeth:  Try  WhoWhere on your favorite directory.

Edward
On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 00:33:22 -0800 elizabeth munger