Subject: Recipes for moth sugaring bait

From: Tony Prichard 605199 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:09:36 GMT

Hello,

I am looking for a recipe(s) for moth sugaring bait. Does anybody
have any they wouldn't mind sending me?

I've tried wine ropes, with some success.

Thanks in advance

Tony Prichard

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Any opinions expressed above are my own and may not be those of BT

---

From: Michael Pennington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 18:20:34 GMT

In message <[email-masked]>

I don't think the recipe matters very much. I use a mixture of 
alcohol (cider, beer or similar, or wine), brown sugar and treacle. 
This is mixed in a pan and heated. The exact proportions are 
variable, but you are aiming for a painty consistency. Old rhubarb 
jam, soft bananas or other fruit may be beneficially added, 
especially if you can liquidise it.

Before putting out the sugar I add more alcohol (rum or similar) and 
pear essence if I have any.

Spread the mixture on fence posts with a paintbrush.

Wine ropes are not as good as sugar here in Shetland - but that may 
be a local phenomenom. It is laso harder to catch moths for 
examination from ropes.

-- 
Mike Pennington
Baltasound, Unst, Shetland: e-mail - [email-masked]
Shetland Wildlife Pages http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/birds/links.html
The Mighty Reds http://www.connect.org.uk/anfield/

"I want to build this club into a bastion of invincibility ... I want 
to build it up and up until they have to send a team from Mars to 
play us." Bill Shankly (manager of Liverpool Football Club 1959-1974).

---

From: "C:WINSOCKKA9QSPOOLMAIL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 10:26:51 GMT

Dear Tony,
The ideal receipes are to be found in the books of such 'old boys' as 
P.B.M.Allen. My father, when he was a little more active, used to take 
me sugaring using molasses (then bought from our grocer as 'Fowlers 
Black Treacle') boiled up with some old ale, and with a little dark rum 
added. It was sometimes necessary to add a little amyl acetate. Being a 
young lad with a 'sweet tooth' I considered the mixture far too good to 
waste on insects.
The P.B.M.Allen books and other enlightening literature are available 
>from  E.W.Classey Ltd.
[email-masked]
Best wishes,
Peter Classey