Subject: Re: migrants

From: Martin Honey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:05:58 GMT

Three more records of migrant species from the Museum's Wildlife garden, a
one acre plot here in central London, adjacent to the Cromwell Road (six
lanes of near constant traffic!).

This lunchtime there was one Painted Lady (Cynthia cardui) and a couple of
Silver Y (Autographa gamma). This last species was also taken in the moth
trap last night along with numbers of Diamond-back moth, Plutella
xylostella.

Who knows what will turn up next!

Martin

******************************************************************
Martin R. Honey, Collections Management (Lepidoptera), Department
of Entomology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON,
SW7 5BD, Great Britain.
TELEPHONE: 0171 938 9338    International  +44 171 938 9338
FAX:       0171 938 8937    International  +44 171 938 8937
EMAIL:     [email-masked]
******************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] ("Colin Cracknell")
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:12:54 GMT

I had a very pleasant surprise yesterday.

On Friday I came home from the pub at about 20:15 and saw that the tiny 
front garden was alive with moths. When one stopped fluttering for a 
second or two I could tell that they were Silver Y's. Hardly a rarity, 
but I've never seen so many at one time.

Next evening they were all over the garden again as I went to the pub. 
When I arrived I asked the landlord "Have you seen all the moths?". 
"Yes," he replied. "Y's, aren't they?"

I know pub landlords are supposed to be founts of wisdom, but I've never 
known one who could identify Noctuids.

------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] | "Ask not for whom the book burns, 
                           | it burns for thee." ([email-masked])
All opinions are my own, but Darter Systems agrees with me.
------------------------------------------------------------------