Subject: Re: An interesting subject thread

From: [email-masked] (Guy Van de Poel)
Date: 25 Mar 96 22:32:53 -0800

Hello all,

I might add that some (the last to pupate) of a batch of 34 Papilio 
machaon I reared in the end of the summer of 1995 pupated before they 
had fully grown. This was due to lack of food, because I was not at 
home and had no more available when I returned. The last one, who was 
already walking about, refused the fresh plants I gave him one day 
later, and pupated the following day. The pupae are about 1/2 to 3/4 
normal size.
31 pupated normally, and three are dwarfs. 
More to come, I hope ...

Guy Van de Poel
Mechelen, Belgium

[email-masked]

---

From: Susan Jane Hogarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:09:22 -0500

DANNY A. BRASS wrote:

> I have a polyphemus moth just slightly larger than a cabbage butterfly.
> It's wings are slightly misshapen, but not due to any kind of embarrassment
> during emergence and unfolding.  I have no idea what may have happened to
> this fellow.

I've just begun raising _Heliothis_ in the lab, and get misshapen wings frequently. My prof tells me
it's due to too low humidity. Guess I'll change rearing rooms...
-- 

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish 

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

       .      .-~\
           / `-'\.'    `- :
           |    /          `._
           |   |   .-.        {
            \  |   `-'         `.
          .  \ |                /
        ~-.`. \|            .-~_
           `.\-.\       .-~      \
             `-'/~~ -.~          /
           .-~/|`-._ /~~-.~ -- ~
          /  |  \    ~- . _\