Subject: Re: Rebuttal

From: kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:44:41 CST

Date:          Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:20:48 -0500
From:          Entomo <[email-masked]>
Reply-to:      Entomo <[email-masked]>
Subject:       Rebuttal
To:            Multiple recipients of list LEPS-L
<[email-masked]>
Organization:  America Online, Inc. (1-800-827-6364)

After reading the postings by Mr. Kruze and Mr. Philip I found it
fitting to give a little input for the Park Service's benefit.   I
would like to thank Mr. Philip for his statement.   As inconvenient
as the regulations see he was at least willing to offer the legal
alternatative.  For Mr. Kruze, I can understand his concern but do
not agree with his logic. National Parks were established to
"...conserve the scenery and  the natural and historic objects and
the wildlife therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in
such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the
enjoyment of future generations."   This is a direct quote from the
Park Service Mission.   If the Service were to allow the
uncontrolled collection of any species it would greatly affect the
balance of that particular ecosystem the area was established to
protect. Yes, roads and developement do have an impact on these
environements by as land managers with the above mission they are
forced to make a balance to accomodate all walks of life/ lifestyle/
interest.   Sometimes it may not seem fair to a paricular group but
the regulations are necessary in order to maintain the integrity of
the park area.   If these regulations were not established then many
endangered or threatened species could/would be collected, causing a
serious decline in that particular population.   The regulations are
note written to hinder or punish but written to protect and preserve
the resourse.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

  Before anyone (directly) accuses me of breaking the law, let me
just add that when I manage to get a permit to collect on
state/federal lands, that is when I collect there.  If no permits
are issued or I just get sick of the process, I do NOT go and
collect there anyhow.  I usually find private land with similar
characteristics of the ecosystem in which I wish to collect.  If I
was aware that my 'logic' were to come under fire, I might have 'at
least' explained this 'legal alternative'.  I never intended to give
the illusion that I support 'uncontrolled collecting'.  I realize
these laws are in place for reasons, but I find the process for
permits and the punishment for not getting permits excessive in both
time and money. You might say 'thats tough', and I'd agree and
collect elsewhere; and I do.

  In my permit-borne frustration, plus hearing about how severe the
punishment was, perhaps I communicated hostility toward park folks.
If that is the case, sorry.

Cheers,
Jim Kruse   (with an s)

Dept Entomology
Univ Wisonsin
Madison, WI 53706
608-262-4755