Subject: Artificial diet for Noctuiidae

From: "Everett D. Cashatt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 10:33:12 -0500

Netters:

Please forgive me if this has been covered before (I am sure that it
probably has), but I need a source for a general artificial diet which might
work for a number of Noctuiidae (Lepidoptera).  Specifically, I am
attempting to rear Pachypolia atricornis, Antitypini (host plant unknown -
assuming it feeds on plant material), and so far newly hatched larvae have
not accepted leaves of dominant trees in the habitat.  We are offering shrub
foliage presently, but would like to try an artificial diet in addition, if
there is one that works generally for many of the noctuids.  Please respond
directly to me if you have suggestions for a source address and other details.

Thanks!

Tim

Everett D. (Tim) Cashatt
Curator of Zoology, Illinois State Museum
phone: 217-782-6689
fax:   217-785-2857
email: [email-masked]