Subject: Butterflies in Singapore

From: Andrea Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 23:03:27 +0800

Dear Lepidopterists,

It's great to see so many reports from Europe and USA now. I try to look up
some of them as I'm more familiar with 'our' tropical butterflies here.

Two weeks ago we walked beside a reservoir in the jungle. The walk was great
but we did not see as many Common Faun (Faunis canens arcesilasas) as on one
of the previous walks. I was so looking forward to seeing the Dark Blue
Jungle Glory (Thaumantis klugius lucipor) that a fellow lepidopterist had
seen only the week before. Alas, the fellow (I'm talking about the
butterfly) was nowhere to be seen. But I'll be back. :-)

As the responses to the previous posting of my list of butterflies were very
encouraging, I'll send you another list. :-)

Date:   31.05.96        Time: 9.00am - 11.30

Place: Lower Pierce Reservoir (along the reservoir, after the stream to the
left)

Weather: Sunny  (It was still rather dark in the jungle, though)
No      Common Name                      Scientific Name              Count

1                                       Mycalesis perseus cepheus       6
2       Painted Jezebel                 Delias hyparete metarete        3
3       Great Egg-Fly                   Hypolimnas bolina bolina        1
4       Common Three-Ring               Ypthima pandocus corticaria     2
5       Nigger                          Orsotriaena medus cinera        4
6       Skipper                                                         1
7       Common Palmfly                  Elymnias hypermnestra agina     2
8       Common Faun                     Faunis canens arcesilas         4
9       Cruiser                         Vindula dejone erotella         3
10      Lemon Emigrant                  Catopsilia pomona pomona        5
11      Grass Yellow                                                    6
12      Malayan Egg-Fly                 Hypolimnas anomala anomala      1
13      Malay Lacewing                  Cethosia hypsia hypsia          1
14      Common Bluebottle               Graphium sarpedon luctatius     1
15      Peablue                         Lampides boeticus               1
16      Tree Yellow                     Gandaca harina distanti         10
17      Blue Glassy Tiger               Ideopsis vulgaris macrina       2
18      Lime Butterfly                  Papilio demoleus malyanus       1

Andrea :-)