Subject: some backyard moths, CT USA

From: John Himmelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:11:26 -0400

Greetings-

I've been blacklighting for moths since March and I just got my second sphingid
of the year, a Sphinx kalmiae (Laurel Sphinx). A month ago, a Deidamia
inscripta(Lettered Sphinx) showed up.  I've been recording and photographing the
moths in my immediate area(Killingworth, CT) for a few years and both are new to
my list.

This past week, the award for best attendance, and abundance, goes to the
Eufidonia notataria(Powder Moths).  The runners up -  Probole nyssaria(Dogwood
Probole), Epimecis hortaria(Tulip Tree Beauties), Spilosoma congrua(Agreeable
Tiger Moths), Apantesis vittata(Banded Tiger Moths - one of my favorites this
time of year) and several members of both the Plagodis (including
kuetzingi[Purple]) and Geometrinae(Emerald)subfamilies.

The Hyperaeschra georgica(Georgian Prominents) and Hydriomena pluviata(Sharp
Green Hydriomena) both had a long run that is finally nearing the end. The
occasional Eutrapela clemataria(Curve-toothed Geometers) that show up (they were
fairly common last month) have seen better days. Over the last 2 days, Campaea
perlata (Pale Beauties) checked in.  They tend to be around well into September.
I think they are my daughter's favorite.  She likes to hang them on her t-shirts
- they can be very accommodating.  Although, she likes the S. congrua, too.  One
rode with her on the schoolbus all the way to school.  They can be "agreeable",
can't they.

And one Luna emerged last week.

Keeping track of wave after wave of new moth secies and subfamilies is such an
encompassing pasttime - but highly addicting!

Happy lepping -

John
**************************
John Himmelman, CT USA
[email-masked]
**************************
**************************
John Himmelman, CT USA
[email-masked]
**************************