Subject: Meanings of Latin names

From: [email-masked] ("Colin Cracknell")
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 12:39:37 GMT

Some time ago I heard of a book which contains the meaning of the Latin 
names of all British butterflies & (macro) moths. Can anyone give me 
title, author, ISBN?
------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] | "Ask not for whom the book burns, 
                           | it burns for thee." ([email-masked])
All opinions are my own, but Darter Systems agrees with me.
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Donald Hobern <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:54:57 +0100

> names of all British butterflies & (macro) moths. Can anyone give me

The Scientific Names of the British Lepidoptera 

     Their History and Meaning 

     AM Emmet 

     Foreword by Sir Richard Southwood 
     The meaning and significance of the scientific names given to
     British moths and butterflies are unknown to many naturalists.
     This important new work sheds much light on a hitherto obscure 
     corner of zoological language. The introduction discusses
     classification and conventions, the history of scientific names,
     and the modern basis of nomenclature. A systematic section
     follows, giving the meanings of 3000 names, at specific, generic, 
     family and suborder level. An invaluable work for
     lepidopterists and all students of entomology and scientific 
     nomenclature. 

     288 pages, 8 b/w plates. 

     Harley 

     Price: GBP 49.95 - 1991 - Order Code: #07124W hardback 

     Price: GBP 24.95 - 1991 - Order Code: #07126W paperback

This is from the NHBS.  Unfortunately they do not list ISBNs.

Donald

-- 

Donald Hobern : CICS AIX Development
E-MAIL       : [email-masked]
TELEPHONE    : +44 1962 815301