Subject: Termites for fertilizer

From: [email-masked] (C Kirkby)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 15:24:25 GMT

I am a graduate ecologist from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.  I
am currently formulating a research proposal concerning the SUSTAINABLE
UTILIZATION OF TERMITES AS A SOURCE OF NUTRIENTS IN SHIFTING CULTIVATION
SYSTEMS IN TROPICAL SOUTH AMERICA, and am seeking as much information on
this subject as possible, e.g:

1. New world/Old world examples of Termite use in farming systems.
2. Any publication (title, author, journal) dealing with the ecology of
   major termite species, in Greater-Amazonia particularly.
3. Name/address of research fellows in the field of termite research.
4. Neotropical termite field-guides!!  
5. How on earth does one HARVEST a termite nest sustainably?

Specific questions that the research will endeavour to answer
(suggestions from you most appreciated):

1. What is the natural rate of colony replacement (birth rate)?
2. What is the population of a termite colony and how would it be
deduced?
3. What is the nutrient content of your typical termite?
4. Amount of organic matter necessary to sustain a colony?
5. Decomposition rates for whole termites.
6  etc, etc....

Please feel free to voice your opinion on the above and any useful
information will be much appreciated and acknowledged.

Mr. Chris Kirkby              [email-masked]
10 Meadow Place
Edinburgh EH( 1JZ
Scotland, UK.