Subject: Monarch Butterfly Population

From: [email-masked] (Donald A. Davis)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 16:56:47 GMT

I am interested in knowing what your impressions are at this point in time
concerning the monarch butterfly population.

In Southern Ontario, I am not seeing many monarchs or larval. We have had
some very hot weather - with temperatures sometimes in the 90's F.

I recently found two larva, which recently pupated. Unfortunatley, one
turned brown and deteriorated further - possibly attacked by a virus.

Comments? Observations?

[email-masked],internet

---

From: "Lee C. Larcheveque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 17:41:30 -0400

> concerning the monarch butterfly population.

I've been raising monarchs for 16 years, and found eggs every where in
Conn the first week of June.  It seemes like it would be an amazing
year.  However, I came up to Syracuse the third week of June to find
very, very few larvae.  In june, our total rainfall was .11 inches.  So
far in July, we've had 1.5 inches and our total for the year is half of
the normal.  Most of the milkweed in the area is dead or nearly dead.
This has become the worst year I've seen in 16 years (at least in New
York, where, unfortunately, I happen to be).

Currently, I only have three 2nd instar larvae and two eggs.

Hopefully we'll get some raind soon.  Usually we get thunderstorms every
afternoon, but they've all been passing us by this summer.

Good Luck,
Lee Larcheveque

[email-masked]