Subject: Decline of moths in the UK

From: Dr ED Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:43:01 +000

I noticed that Andrew Stagg noted that "many of our butterflies and
moths are close to disappearing".

This statement is a little misleading, it makes it sound as if the UK
has no Lepidoptera left!

On the contrary, many species of moth have undergone a
considerable range expansion over the last few years, for reasons
unknown.  I know of at least 10 species which have become
common in Yorkshire when they were either rare or had not been
present.

In my locale we have also had expansions of several butterfly
species, notably the Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) and the
Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus).

I feel it is dangerous to make glib statements when we don't really
understand the short and long term fluctuations.

Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664

---

From: Alan S Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jul 1995 14:28:01 GMT

At my upland sight in Northern England I have also noticed a considerable
increase in numbers and species of moth. Last year we recorded over 200 species. 
This year appears to be heading the same way.

Alan Coates
Hamsterley Forest