Subject: Re: Vanessa cardui in the UK

From: Dave Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:38:16 +000

Painted Lady sightings in North & East Yorkshire.

I have seen more Vanessa Cardui in the past 3 days than before.  My
sightings are:

Holme upon Spalding Moor (HOSM) (between York & Hull), 7/6/96.
Over 15 in a 1/2 hour walk in the evening (7pm) on a disused railway
line.

Withernsea on the East coast south of Bridlington anf Hornsea,
8/6/96.  Numerous seen during the day, I estimate over 100 in 4
hours.

There were many spotted on the way back between Withernsea and
Hull.

I also saw my first ever Rush Veneer (Nomophila noctuella) on
9/6/96 in HOSM.

I have also been getting Cockchafer beetles (Melolontha melolontha)
in my light trap; this is something I have not had before in HOSM.  Is
this a good year for them?

Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:47:54 GMT

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:38:16 +000, Dave Chesmore
<[email-masked]> wrote:

[snip]

>I also saw my first ever Rush Veneer (Nomophila noctuella) on

Hi Dave,

I saw my first this year last weekend. Now they are _everywhere_ in
the South Oxon area. I went on an entomological survey on Sunday and
V.cardui, N.noctuella, P.xylostella and A.gamma were about the only
things we saw all day. cardui is definately the commonest butterfly in
our area.

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.