Subject: Baits and North American Lepidoptera

From: Jim Hanlon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 20:24:26 -0500

We know that a good percentage of neotropical lepidoptera feed on a variety
of baits including rotting fruits, fecal matter, carrion etc., and I will
post my observations on neotropical butterflies and baiting techniques at a
later time.

But recently, I was asked at a Lorquin Entomological Society meeting, about
North American butterflies and their attraction to different baits. Never
working with bait in North America, as most of my lepidoptera studying has
been in Central and South America, I decided to run a few test. Plus what fun
it is to pull out the sling-shot and sawed-off fishing-reel and go launch a
few traps into the green tangle, or in this case, the sandy-green tangle.  On
Sunday (3/31/96) in Corona, California, on the edge of the Cleveland National
Forest, I placed three traps in a mistletoe laiden sycamore tree. One was
baited with rotten-stinky fish, another with fermented banana w/ sugar, and
the third trap was baited with a nectar mixture purchased from the Nature
Company.

In the four hours of testing (too short - got get-up earlier next time), only
flies came to the rotten fish and one wasp enjoyed the banana w/ sugar. At
one point while watching the traps and eating a Subway sandwich (Italian
salami & Bologna) in the car with the window rolled down, a Papilio rutulus
(Western Tiger Swallowtail) came roaring-in directly toward the openned
driver side window where I was sitting, and then dashed off once two inches
away recognizing my amazed startlement. Was it the italian salami or the
bologna that did the trick? or maybe its attracted to white BMW's.

In retrospect, the area was not ideal for butterfly traffic and this initial
test was slanted toward the Atlides halesus (Great Purple Hairstreak), which
had been spotted on numerous other occasions at this particular tree. In the
past, I observed Atlides halesus females on several occassions, in groups of
3 to 6 from noon to 4:00 pm, depositing eggs on the mistletoe, and I also
have found Atlides halesus pupa at the base of the tree. But on this day, no
great purple hairstreaks were sited either on the tree, in the neighboring
canyon, or on my subway sandwich.

Next time out I will invest more time in an area with greater butterfly
populations.

Love to hear about anyone elses experiences with baits, recipes, etc.

Jim Hanlon

Several butterflies were observed in the immediate area including Danaus
plexippus (Monarch), Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning Cloak), Glaucopsyche
lygdamus incognita (Silvery Blue)

---

From: Larry Sweeny <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:03:34 -0600

Last summer down here in North TEXAS (Ft. Worth) I put out over ripe banana
at first I put it on the ground but in the night some nite thing ate it all
so I made some hanging dishes with wire and plastic dishes like you use under
flower pots -you know-. they look like small hanging baskets.put the
banana in this I had Asterocampa celtis, and A.clyton ,and Polygonia
interragationis,Vanessa cardul. some time as many as 6 at a time
great fun try it
    larry

---

From: trgarden <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1996 00:14:50 GMT

I have been using baits and having really good luck.  I use mostly 
rotten apple, beer and some strawberry or cherry pop.  The mix needs to be 
well fermented for best results.  Also seems to take a few days for the 
aroma to spread out so alot of butterflies can find it.  Butterflies I 
have had come include Red Spotted Purple (Limenitis astyanax), Viceroy 
(Limenitis archippus), Tawny Emperor (Asterocampa clyton), Hackberry 
Butterfly (Asterocampa celtis), Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa), 
Comptons Tortoise Shell (Nymphalis vau-album),  Question Mark(Polygonia 
interrogationis),  Comma (Polygonia comma), Red Admiral (Vanessa 
atalanta).  At night the Underwing moths (Catocala) are around.
I have seen nearly one hundred butterflies trying to get at the bait 
(mostly Red Admirals) really an awesome sight. Pretty good for a temperate 
area like Minnesta.  Must be just fantastic in the tropics.  I have not 
had much luck with any bananna mixes.

Tom Middagh