Subject: Gary Larson Favorite Cartoon

From: Gerry Rising <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 18:39:29 -0500

I am writing a column thanking Gary Larson for his contributions to
natural history through his cartoon panels entitled "The Far Side." As
many of you know, Larson has retired from this work. My column, "Nature
Watch," appears in The Buffalo News.

   As the main part of my tribute, I hope to include descriptions of
their favorite Larson cartoons by people who work in the various fields
of natural science. PLEASE ASSIST ME BY SENDING ME A SENTENCE OR TWO THAT
DESCRIBES YOUR FAVORITE. So that this will not take up too much space on the
Internet, I urge you to send your responses directly to me (addresses
below). I promise to post a copy of the column and to add those
submissions for which there was simply not enough space to print. (I am
limited to 600 words.) I will also forward the results to Larson.

   Just to start things off: my own favorite has thousands of lemmings
racing across the panel; among them you notice one wearing a life jacket.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerry Rising                                  phone: 716-689-8301
295 Robinhill Drive                        messages: 716-645-3175
Williamsville, NY 14221-1639                    fax: 716-645-3161
---- e-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MSorens)
Date: 22 Jan 1995 21:58:51 -0500

My favorite dealt with Cow Poetry. A cow stands before a seated group,
reading his/her poem that describes the desire to run free and unfettered,
but ends with the refrain "Damn the electric fence! Damn the electric
fence!"

I send my best wishes to Gary. I miss him.
-martin