Subject: Various Vanessids

From: Andrew Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:17:25 EDT

Today (22nd) I saw a fresh Cynthia cardui (painted Lady) near Ware, Herts which
must be an offspring of the June invasion, though I've not seen any larvae,
there are still a few very faded adults around too.

Aglais urticae (Small Tortoishell) had a successful summer brood but as others
have noted a very strong quick peak around 6-8 July here and considerably fewer
numbers around now.  Creeping thistle and bramble were the main nectar plants.
Buddlia is only just beginning to flower around here.

Polygonia c-album (Comma) have been emerging since 8 July and seem to be well in
evidence in all habitats

Inachis io (peacock) I saw my first summer brood on 18 July and there have been
increasing numbers since.

As both these latter two  were well in evidence in the Spring I would expect
good numbers this summer.

Andrew Wood
Bengeo
Hertford
UK