Subject: Chrysalis- Dead or Alive?

From: Eric Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 11:40:59 -0400

What is the actual status of the pupa/butterfly while in the chrysalis state?

I have  an American Swallowtail that has been in chrysalis for over 6 weeks.
 Yesterday, while watering, the chrysalis got wet and began to twitch.
Otherwise, this chrysalis has never moved on its own.

On the other hand, I have several Gulf Fritillary chrysalises that when
touched, bend away from the stimulus.

Does the caterpillar actually live on inside the chrysalis for a period of
time? Or perhaps, does the caterpillar die immediately and the butterfly is
now the living organism?

Thank you for your assistance.
Eric J
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (QRPTim)
Date: 20 May 1996 02:02:21 -0400

I recently started a culture of a few painted lady larvae.  A few of the
of them are chrysalid stage, but one is still a caterpillar.  One of the
caterpillars seems to have eaten one of the chrysalids.  Is this common? 
Should we have removed the caterpillar when the others entered the
chrysalid stage?

- Tim