Subject: Re: Databases

From: Floyd Catchpole <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 13:41:31 -0400

ED Chesmore recomends that

"Rather than everyone going out and writing their
own database, perhaps it is time we should consider IN DETAIL
exactly what is required of a database system both for enthusiasts
and professionals."

I couldn't agree more.  Let's all pitch in with suggestions, and I will
compile these and print periodic updates on the net.

For starters, Weather conditions (sunshine categories, windspeed, beginning
and ending temperature), Rarity indices (CITES, TNC's Glogal Rarity, Federal,
State), Conservation Indices (indicate habitat restrictedness, ala Swink &
Wilhelm's C and I values), Classification (Superfamily, family, genus,
species, subspecies), sex (M, F, Undetermined), Date(Month, day, year), Time
of day (hour), Abundance (common, uncommon, rare). Maps (state, county, dots,
associated info available by clicking on dot)

Databases should be able to be sorted and analyzed by: Collecting expedition,
Site, Date, Classification, etc.  In addition, it would be nice to have it
set up so people doing capture-mark-recapture studies could easily work in
it.  This means export as a nice clean ASCI file that SAS can read (cleanly
!!!).

Thoughts...suggestions...capture-release folks...everybody can help here
  :-)

Respond on LEPS-List or [email-masked] (Floyd Catchpole)