Subject: Re: Do pupae dig?

From: Christopher Conlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 10:32:13 -0700

This is a very good question which I have pondered myself.  Over the
years I have seen pupae and moths dig there way to the top.  Of course,
this was under captive conditions so it may not be representitive.  I
have also heard rumors of some species timing their emergence to wet
weather so that the soil is softer and therefore easier to move through.
 I also remember reading somewhere about some African species which wait
for the rains to basically flood the pupae to the surface.  My guess is
that both the pupa and the moth are at work here in many cases.  I have
seen the pupa get very active just prior to emergence (1 or 2 days prior)
and squirm it's way to within an inch of the surface.  On the other hand,
I have also seen moths emerge where the pupa is left just where it was
originally formed.  The pupa may be tougher than we give it credit for.
It may also be that in those final hours it does little or no harm for
the pupa to form minor cracks/breaks during the digging process.  I know
that I have mishandled a few pupae in my time during those final hours
and the resulting moths have often turned out OK.  I can also remember
helping my father in the garden as a child and finding hatched noctuid
pupae on the surface around the plants.  Could these have squirmed to the
surface too?  Maybe.  Any other thoughts out there?
Chris
[email-masked]
Opinions are mine all mine and not necessarily my employer's