Subject: Names

From: KENELM W PHILIP <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 15:31:36 -0900

I realize this can be a sensitive topic, and I am not trying to
start a flame war here--but might I humbly suggest that for a group with
many foreign subscribers it would be courteous to include scientific names
when mentioning species? Americans may know what a Mourning Cloak is, but
in England it's a Camberwell Beauty, and in Russia it's a Traurnitsa. In
all countries, however, it's _Nymphalis antiopa_...

                                                        Ken Philip
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Julie "Mudgie" Stahlhut)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 19:09 est

> all countries, however, it's _Nymphalis antiopa_...
 
That's actually an excellent suggestion, Ken.  I'm reminded of the 
apocryphal tale of the absent-minded professor who, while describing
a genetics experiment in his blackboard notes, inadvertently wrote:
  
		frut fly
  
When his class began to snicker, he realized his spelling error, erased
the offending word, and replaced it with:
  
		friut fly

This time, the class roared.  The prof scowled at his handiwork, cursed
quietly, erased it once more, and wrote:

		_Drosophila melanogaster_

Julie K. Stahlhut, Hellgrammite Tamer   [email-masked]                
                 Have a way cool birthday, Jo Kozaczka!