Subject: To collect or not to collect....

From: Bob Greback <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 11:33:10 EST

Hello,

I have been receiving and reading with interest this "discussion" of
butterfly collecting.

Like nearly all "discussions", this one contains two sides, and like nearly
all "discussions" there is a "moralistic" and a "realistic" aspect.

Moralistically, we are bound to protect that which cannot protect itself. In
this case the harmless and defenseless butterfly.

Realistically, butterflies are an object of beauty and curiosity. By those
that collect, as long as it is not illegal, collection is fine, especially
since no empirical evidence exists to show collecting poses a threat to
extinction of butterfly species. (Although it can be conceded that in rare
cases intense collection pressure may cause further population reduction of a
species ALREADY endangered by other pressures such as habitat destruction and
parasitic mortality (Papilio homerus in Jamaica for example).

It is very hard, no matter which one of the above you are, to understand the
other side.  Please try.

I have been collecting insects for over 25 years. I understand and try to
keep appraised of situations such as P. homerus.  I collect for my enjoyment,
scientific studies in systematics and parasitology, and to use my collection
for the education of the public whenever possible.

Like most habits and hobbies moderation is best.

Bob