Subject: Re: AMERICAN SWALLOWTAIL/GULF FRIT

From: Chris Conlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 21:14:55 -0800

Gulf Frittillaries will usually hatch within two weeks.  Of course, this is
temperature dependent.  The cooler it is, the longer it takes, within
reason.  Your P. polyxenes usually hatch within 2-3 weeks as well or they
go into diapause.  The diapause may last for several weeks or even a year
or more.  It's hard to say what will cause diapause to break.  Different
species can often use different environmental cues.  Just keep an eye on
it.  As a general rule, if it's not out by the end of summer, it's waiting
until spring. Good luck.
Chris

>I WOULD LIKE SOME INFO ABOUT THESE BUTTERFLIES........
>
>HOW LONG WILL MY AMERICAN SWALLOWTAIL (PAPILIO POLYXENES ASTERIUS) REMAIN IN
>CHRYSALIS FORM. IT HAS BEEN ABOUT FOUR WEEKS?  THE CHRYSALIS IS LIGHT BROWN
>WITH TWO BEIGE VERTICAL STRIPES.
>
>GULF FRITILLARY (DIONE VANILLAE INSULARIS).   HOW LONG WILL THE GULF FRIT
>REMAIN IN CHRYSALIS?  I'VE HAD SEVERAL, BUT KEEP MISSING THE "EMERGENCE"
>ALSO IS IT OK TO REMOVE THE CHRYSALIS FROM WHERE IT HANGS TO PLACE IN A
>SCREENED ENCLOSURE?  WHEN I TOUCH IT IT CURVES/TWISTS AWAY.
>
>THANKS,
>ERIC IN PALM BEACH
>  E-MAIL:           [email-masked]