Subject: Cage Rearing Cecropia Moths

From: Pete Honl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 11:59:13 PDT

Hello!

Several years ago my sister-in-law found a female Cecropia moth and gave it to
 me (I m known as the insect enthusiast in my family).  Anyway, to make a very
 long story short - I ve been cage rearing Cecropias until this year.  My adults
 emerged and mated about a month ago, but all the eggs were infertile. Possibly
 too much inbreeding???

I really enjoyed raising Cecropias and sharing the cocoons with friends and
 schools. I live in northern Minnesota and I haven t been able to find any wild
 Cecropia moths for two years.  We have had a three cool summers that may have
 affected their population in this area.

I m new to this mailing list.  I found it while cruising the net.  Does anyone
 on this mailing list raise Cecropia or other Saturniidae moths?  Do you have
 any ideas why the eggs were infertile? All I know about Cecropia moths is what
 I learned while raising them (I made few mistakes).  Are there any books or
 articles on this subject?

Although it s too late in the season to start cage raising moths this year, I
 would like to start again next spring.  During our cold winters, the thought of
 those beautiful moths emerging from their cocoons in the spring makes me feel
 warmer.  Can anyone out there in cyber space help me get started again?

I will watch for replies on this list server or you can e-mail me at
 [email-masked].

Thanks...

Pete Honl
Roseau, MN
 [email-masked]