Subject: Re: Recipes for moth sugaring bait/cold moths

From: John Himmelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:33:31 -0500

Believe it or not, fermented watermelon works better than any mixture I've
prepared.

Incidentally, to add to a thread that was running a few weeks ago, re. cold
weather moths - I'm still getting moths here in Connecticut.  Last night, 6
Ectropis crespuscularia (Small Engrailed) came to my black light.  The
temperature on my outdoor thermometer read 30 degrees fahr. when I last checked
it at 11 p.m.. The moths appeared at around 8:00 p.m. when the temp was about 5
degrees warmer.  After the 6 showed up, all within a short period of time, they
remained there, unmoving, until morning.

I love "pushing the season"!

**************************
John Himmelman, CT USA
[email-masked]
**************************

---

From: "David L. Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:43:31 EST

Re:  Ectropis crepuscularia as a winter moth

     In my experience Ectropis is long over in Connecticut well before the fall
months.  The brown geo out at this time of year is Operophtera bruceata-they
often don't start flying until after the first good freeze.  Occasionally they
even fly in sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

                                                     Dave Wagner