Subject: butterfly bait

From: "Charles V. Covell Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 17:03:03 EDT

Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONE: (502) 852-6771

In the tropics we often put rotten fruit and other yucky baits in
old sox, then hang them by strings from tree limbs.  Good for photos,
and if collecting desired, just enclose in net (carefully!).  Cheers, Chas

Charles V. Covell Jr.   [email-masked]
Dept. of Biology, University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292-0001   PHONE: (502) 852-6771 (office)
(502) 852-0725 (FAX); (502) 456-6122 (home).  "So many bugs..."

---

From: "Charles V. Covell Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 12:50:35 EDT

Here's a question regarding baits for both butterflies and moths:  have any
of you noticed whether exotic fruits (and other materials), not normally
present in a given part of the world, works as well as "native" fruits, etc.?
  For example, would pineapple be good in eastern US, where it is not a normal
source of adult food for species that come to such things?  Would a rotten
peach work in tropical areas?  Any experiences of this sort would be most
instructive.  Thanks.  Cheers, Charlie