Subject: Re: Monarch Butterfly Population

From: Hristos Thomas Anastassiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 16:22:40 -0400

Yesterday, July 13, I observed a large number of
Monarch Butterflies near St. Ignace, in the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan. On the contrary, they are
very rare this time of the year in the vicinity
of Ann Arbor, in SE Michigan. I hope Donald
finds this information useful.

Hristos Anastassiu
EECS University of Michigan

---

From: KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 17:15:06 -0400

Monarch populations seem aaabout normal in Tenn. this  year.  We're also in
the midst  of a heat wave with temperatures near 100 this week. I  live in
a rural area where milkweed is very abundant. The adults don't seem to be
laying eggs right now however and I'm seeing no larva.

---

From: KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:15:54 -0400

Monarchs are reappearing in my area   of Tennessee and I haven't    noticed
much of a decline overall in   numbers. The  adults seem to decline in the
summer and I begin to see more in August. The adults I'mseeing now are
fresh and recently emerged. The butterfly I'm not seeing this year as the
Black Swallowtail normally a very common  species.

---

From: Mel Lynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 21:51:37 -0400

it's a little early for monarchs in central NJ, but we've seen one or two
each time we've looked