Subject: First Migrant ? A. ipsilon

From: Bart Vanholder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 10:51:35 +0000

Dear Netters (Europe),

I've just been informed about the first capture of the year of  Agrotis
ipsilon (Hufnagel, 1766)(Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in Belgium, near the
sea-coast on  23th March. This seems to me a very early found of this
migrant species, which we consider normally not able to withstand our winter
(certainly not the last one, which was rather long). The earliest specimen
so far mentioned to us was on 2 th May 1990. In the UK in the past a
migration was seen already in Februari-March.

It was a fresh male specimen, caught at sugar. Were there any other
sightings this year (UK - south coast?) of A. ipsilon, or maybe other
migrant species like V. atalanta, V. cardui, C. crocea...? Just curious.
----------------------------------------------------------
Bart Vanholder
Belgian Migrant Lepidoptera Survey
Droeskouter 33
B-9450 Haaltert
Belgium
e-mail: [email-masked]
homepage Migrant Leps http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/
homepage Sesiidae     http://www.club.innet.be/~pub00644/sesiid/seslist
----------------------------------------------------------