Subject: Re: overwintering or migration of BCW

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 May 1996 17:15:10 GMT

Yang Seung Weon <[email-masked]> writes:

> I found many papers that BCW cannot overwinter in high latitude area like my
>  country (N 33 !F ~38 !F ).  But I had cought some BCW adults on April 18, 
>  at Jeju-island which is the southest area in Korea.  I think it is too early
>  for BCW to migrate from further southern area, and the samples I cought are
>  very perfect in shape and color as just after emergency.

And Michael Pennington <[email-masked]> writes:

> Agrotis ipsilon (known as Dark Sword Grass in Britain) can appear as
> a migrant at almost any time of year in Britain but it not known to
> survive the winter anywhere, even in the mildest areas. In Shetland
> (the northernmost islands of Britain at almost 60 degrees north) A.
> ipsilon appeared in April in 1994 and 1995. In Orkney (the islands 
> just to the south) it has even appeared in March. There was a small
> influx into several areas of Scotland in April 1995, which was   
> unusual, but by no means exceptional.

This is a very abundant moth in Atlantic Canada. I have often recorded it
in New Brunswick, and there are many records of it from Nova Scotia and
New Brunswick. R. F. Morris in Butterflies and Moths of Newfoundland and 
Labrador says:

"It is one of the most abundant noctuids in Newfoundland and Labrador. 
... It is a burrowing species that feeds at night. It is single brooded in
Newfoundland and overwinters as a pupa." 

He shows records of the species as far North as Davis Inlet, circa 56
degrees N latitude! In New Brunswick I have records as far north as
Jacquet River, 48 degrees North.

Best wishes!

Christopher Majka
--
| Christopher Majka - Editor: Culture, Religion & Heritage                |
| Chebucto Community Net, Halifax, N.S. -- EMail: <[email-masked]>  |
| Home Page: URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa051/Profile.html          |

---

From: John Himmelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:30:11 -0400

> I have often recorded it

Hi Christopher,

Could you tell me the name and address (phone #?)of the publisher of Morris'
book?  Is it still in print so I could order it from them?  I am always looking
for good moth reference and although I'm in CT, we share many moths.

Many thanks.  The most abundant moths out my way in Killingworth at this time
are Phyllodesma americana(Lappet Moths) and Lomographa glomeraria(Gray Spring
Moths). The latter are interesting in that they resemble night-flying "pieris"
when at rest.  The dorsal surfaces of their wings are held together over their
body.

John

**************************
John Himmelman, CT USA
[email-masked]
**************************