Subject: Cleopatra butterfly in Elstree

From: "J.B.Murray (John Murray)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:18:03 +0000

I have just received a report from Jeanette Martin-O'Malley of a Cleopatra
butterfly in her garden at Aldenham Country Park, Elstree, Herts., U.K. at this
moment.  She has taken several photos, and the butterfly has been confirmed by 2
park rangers.  Although the possibility of an escape or a release cannot be
ruled out, the present wave of migratory moths (Diamond-back, Silver Y and 5
Rush Veneer in the trap this morning) suggests that a genuine migrant is quite
possible.

John Murray
[email-masked]
Marshalls Heath,
Herts., U.K.

---

From: [email-masked] (gloworm)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:10:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, "J.B.Murray (John
Murray)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

"the present wave of migratory moths (Diamond-back, Silver Y and 5
> Rush Veneer in the trap this morning)"

I'm new to entomology. This weekend I had my first proper attempt at moth
watching armed only with the bathroom light and my copy of the Collins
Guide to Insects of North and Western Europe. I too live in Herts UK (St
Albans to be precise), and was particularly interested in the above as I
also observed many Rush Veneer and Silver Y, but had no idea they were
just passing through. Where have they come from and where are they going? 

As with any beginner I'm hungry for information, so please get back to me.

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:55:42 GMT

>As with any beginner I'm hungry for information, so please get back to me.

Hi 'glowworm' 

I'm not sure _exactly_ where they come from but I think things like
P.xylostella and C.cardui fly up from Africa. Others come in from
southern or eastern  Europe. They can fly great distances and are
usually helped by the prevailing wind currents.

Sorry I can't be more detailed - I just don't know!  :-)   I've been
waiting to see if anyone else replies to this one but I guess quite a
few people are on holiday.

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.

---

From: Michael Pennington <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:54:08 +0100

> usually helped by the prevailing wind currents.

I am no expert either but I can add alittle to what Chris has written.

Migrants in Britain can come from the east as well. Several influxes 
of Diamondback Moth (Plutella xylostella) have been tracked back to 
Russia. In autumn species such as Clifden Nonpareil (Catocala 
fraxini), Great Brocade (Eurois occulta) and Camberwell Beauty 
(Nymphalis antiopa) usually originate from Fenno-Scandia.

Species such as SilverY (Autographa gamma), Red Admiral (Vanessa 
atalanta) and Rush Veneer (Nomophila noctuella) can overwinter around 
the Mediterranean or in Central Europe but in Britain (too wet for 
hibernating, tather than too cold). They move north each spring to 
breed and the offsroing move south again in the autumn to overwinter.

I think I'm right in saying that the Painted Lady (Cynthia cardui) 
cannot overwinter in Europe and all British specimens originate in 
Africa (although they do breed when they get here). This fact is my 
guaranteed "see I told you insects were interesting" stimulant - I 
have never failed to see anyone interested enough to ask not amazed 
when they hear this.

Incidentally insect migartion is much more widespread than many 
people think - as living in remote islands such as Shetland often proves!
-- 
Mike Pennington
Baltasound, Unst, Shetland
[email-masked]
Shetland Wildlife Pages http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/birds/links.html

"I want to build this club into a bastion of invincibility.... I want 
to build it up and up until they have to send a team from Mars to 
play us." Bill Shankly (manager of Liverpool Football Club 1959-1974.