Subject: Audubon Mag/Williams Collecting Article

From: Peter Rauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:26:58 PDT

The recent discussions (Jan-Mar, plus some more recent) on the Entomo-l
and Leps-l discussion lists on the topic of the Ted Williams "The Great
Butterfly Bust" article in the Mar-Apr 96 Audubon Magazine (and I
suppose newspaper and other accounts as well) created quite an
extensive "thread" and may represent some kind of record for length and
number of contributors (the Entomo-l thread on the USFWS importation
policies was pretty hefty also).

The May-June Audubon Magazine contains four letters (one page plus 2/3
column) to the Editors and one reply from Ted Williams about the article.
It appears that none of the four letters were authored by any of the
contributors to the Entomo-l or Leps-l discussions (but I may have simply
missed their names).
Peter R.

Some rough stats on those threads:
(all numbers are approximate [but very close])

Subscribers to:
                                           Leps-l =  298
                                         Entomo-l = 1093
                                        in common =   69

Messages about Collecting on:
                                           Leps-l =  311
                                         Entomo-l =  101

Number of subscribers who submitted messages:
                                           Leps-l =   91
                                         Entomo-l =   61

Number of submitters who submitted to both lists: =    9

Top ten subscribers submitted:
                                           Leps-l =  162 msgs
                                         Entomo-l =   41 msgs

Total number of lines of text:
                                           Leps-l = 15360
                                         Entomo-l -  5195

---

From: paul <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Apr 1996 21:49:41 GMT