Subject: Re: Japanese Beetles

From: Daniel Oppenheimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 12:06:19 -0800

For pretty effective biological control of Japanese beetles, use
Bacillus popillae, which causes milky white disease in Japanese beetle
grubs.  You can find it commercially under the names DoomBP or
Japidemic.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Daniel Oppenheimer
Ph.D candidate in Entomology
University of California at Berkeley

---

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 23:05:51 GMT

>grubs.  You can find it commercially under the names DoomBP or

Please also take note of the fact that many species of predatory birds 
also take the larger beetles; I have heard several first hand accounts of 
jays taking them and eating them with considerable gusto.

What effect(s) the parasite has on the birds I don't know.  Note also 
that the grubs of many species, not just the Japanese beetle, are a 
tremendous help in compost heaps.  It might be fatal to them as well, 
depending how host-specific the parasite is.

Good luck.

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California