Subject: Monarch eggs and larvae available

From: Clark Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Apr 1996 20:00:02 GMT

I have several hundred monarch butterfly eggs and larvae 
available for sale in the month of May. Can ship overnight or
2nd day air.

- Clark
  Orange, CA

-- 
Clark Thompson
Orange, CA

---

From: "Lee C. Larcheveque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:23:07 -0400

How much do you charge for eggs and larvae?

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
                         <Will you laugh just like your mother?
Lee C. Larcheveque       > Will you sigh like your old man?
[email-masked] <  Will some things skip a generation
615 Walnut Avenue Apt. 1 >   Like I've heard they often can.
Syracuse, NY  13210      <    Are you a poet or a dancer, a devil or a clown?
315-423-8688             >     Or a strange new combination of
                         <      the things we've handed down?  --marc cohn
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

---

From: Mark David Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 10:53:28 -0400

Clark
Would be interested in getting all that you have to offer!

Mark Deering
Michigan State University.
[email-masked]

Write back Eh?

---

From: Kathleen deMarrais <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 22:15:33 -0400

My friend and I have seen a female Erora Laeta in a mountainous mature
deciduous woods in N.E. Tennessee.  The small butterfuly was a deep
purplish blue in flight and had no tails.  We were unable to get a clear
look at the underside.  We've never seen this butterfly before.  The
dominant trees in this woods are rhododendron, horse chestnut, beech, and
tulip poplar.  Many are very large.  My friend grew up collecting in
Michigan where the Early Hairstreak was very rare
and highly sought after.  Another species common in this woods is the
West Virginia White.  Any experts out there who are familiar with this
species?

---

From: [email-masked] (Phil Schappert)
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 14:39:00 GMT

>available for sale in the month of May. Can ship overnight or

Please note that these are WESTERN monarchs. Buyers in the west can go
ahead and buy what they will, but I urge any eastern population buyers
tempted by this offer to first obtain (and READ) the article by Brower et
al. in BioScience 45(8): 540-544, 1995 called "On the dangers of
interpopulational transfers of Monarch Butterflies". There is also a letter
regarding problems with this parasite in captive rearing efforts by
researchers which can be found at Monarch Watch on the web.

The problem is that the western population is currently undergoing a
pervasive infestation of a Neogregarine protozoan parasite, _Ophryocystis_
_electroscirrha_. The infection rate is estimated to be between 55 and 65
percent and is likely the reason for the ongoing precipitous decline in the
western populations. It would be beneficial to keep this parasite out of
the eastern population if at all possible - cross-transfer of eggs or
larvae from west to east could result in drastic consequences.

I really hope you'll consider this.

Phil

---
Phil Schappert
Biology, York University
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
[email-masked] or [email-masked]