Subject: Butterflies & bureaucrats

From: Kenelm Philip <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:32:08 -0900

The recent posting by John Shuey describing the history of the
interactions between the Ohio Lepidopterists and various state agencies
should be studied by anyone concerned about regulation of collecting in
the U.S. It provides evidence that collectors and bureaucrats can indeed
work together, despite the comments some people have posted warning us
that bureaucrats cannot be trusted in these matters.

        A while ago, when I said that the Alaska Lepidoptera Survey was
able to function while interacting with state and federal agencies and the
F&WS, I was warned that I was living in a dream world, and should expect
to be stabbed in the back by the bureaucrats I was so foolishly trusting.
Well, it appears the dream has spread to Ohio!

        The single most important point Shuey raised is that the collectors
have to meet the regulators halfway. You can't just sit around bitching
about the rules...  If the major input to the regulators comes from the
collectors, the resulting regulations will be something collectors can
live with.

        My congratulations to the Ohio Lepidopterists for showing the rest
of us how it should be done!

                                                        Ken Philip
[email-masked]

---

From: raymond <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Apr 1996 05:44:20 GMT

What are you to do when you go through proper channels to get collecting 
permits and after months of waiting.....you still are waiting.....in the 
mean time assistantships are running out.  Who knows more about 
insects...Newt Gingrinch....or your average entomologist.  I am dealing 
with the state level for a permit.  All jokes aside, from having obtained 
permits from various National Parks, states, etc. it can be very time 
consuming and sometimes ridiculous!

R. Hix
Waiting for a permit

P.S.

When it comes time for my dissertation defense, can I say "I am waiting 
for a permit?"