Subject: Re: One proboscis, two ...

From: Ron Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 11:04:04 -0600

Plural of Proboscis

In English, proboscises would be fine.

For the more pretentious, in the original Latin (< Greek, pro (before) +
boskein (to feed)), I believe it would be proboscides.

****************************
Ronald A. Royer <[email-masked]>
Division of Science, Minot State University, Minot ND 58707
701-857-3209 (Personal Office) or 701-857-3161 (Division Office)
****************************

---

From: Hristos Thomas Anastassiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 12:34:49 -0500

Since the word 'proboscis' is Greek (both ancient and modern), the
correct plural  is 'proboscides'. In spoken English, though,
'proboscises' sounds O.K., too (according to Webster's).

Hristos Anastassiu
[email-masked]