Subject: Off-season Sightings

From: "Edward J.O'Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 12:33:13 -0500

To all:
       I am interested in personal sightings of butterflies
 during winter. Also ,in your first sighting of the '94 season
 and your last.
       An example is one from birding buddy who came upon a
Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodi) on the boardwalk at Atlantic
City, Jan 12,1995. Temp about 50 degrees.
       My first butterfly of '94 was the American Lady (Vanessa
 virginiensis) seen on early blooming Pieris Japonica at Deep
 Cut Park, Monmouth County, NJ on April 4th. Temp 63 deg.
       The last was a Monarch (Danaus plexippus) on Nov 7 ,
 high in a Pin Oak in our garden.
       Please recount your sightings to the list for I am sure
that it will be of interest.
Thank you.
            Edward J.O'Connor

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Korbelik)
Date: 16 Feb 1995 18:36:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>that it will be of interest.

Here in Southern California the first and last butterflies usually
spotted are Cabbage Whites. In this temperate climate they fly
almost year round. The first ones are usually seen in January
and the last in November or even December if the weather is warm.
This year on February 4, the temperature record here was broken
and the mercury soared to 91F. That day the Cabbage Whites were
out in droves and I was happy also to see a Gulf Fritillary.

Brian Korbelik