Subject: RESULT: sci.bio.entomology.homoptera passes 195:13

From: [email-masked] (Warren Lavallee)
Date: 26 Jan 1996 06:58:00 -0500

RESULT
     unmoderated group sci.bio.entomology.homoptera passes 195:13

There were 195 YES votes and 13 NO votes, for a total of 208 valid votes.
There were 2 abstains and 4 invalid ballots.

For group passage, YES votes must be at least 2/3 of all valid (YES and NO)
votes.   There also must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO votes.

There is a five day discussion period after these results are posted.  If no
serious allegations of voting irregularities are raised, the moderator of
news.announce.newgroups will create the group shortly thereafter.

Newsgroups line:
sci.bio.entomology.homoptera	Research on homopteran (sap-sucking) insects.

This was conducted by a neutral third party.  Questions about
this proposal should be directed to the proponent.

Proponent: Maarten van Helden <[email-masked]>
           Yvan Rahbe <[email-masked]>
           Rufus Isaacs <[email-masked]>
Votetaker: Warren Lavallee <[email-masked]>

RATIONALE: sci.bio.entomology.homoptera

Discussion, news, and queries concerning the study of homoptera

Homopteran insects are a very distinct insect order, characterized by
their specialised feeding behaviour as sap suckers. Homoptera are
pests of enormous economic importance in temperate and tropical
regions of the world, damaging many different crops in both outdoor
and greenhouse crops. Apart from the direct feeding damage, virus
transmission and fungal growth on honeydew also cause major yield
losses.

The sci.bio.entomology.homoptera newsgroup is intended for
communication on homopteran insects only. Other entomological
questions should be posted to the sci.bio.entomology.misc newsgroup
(general entomology), or to the appropriate specialised newsgroups
(e.g. sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera for lepidoptera).  Communication
will be welcomed from all those interested in homoptera, including
serious amateurs as well as professionals and students. Closely
related taxonomic 'sister' groups, such as Heteroptera, will be
welcome in this newsgroup until a more appropriate forum is
available. Though intended primarily for scientific communication,
some queries from the general public are to be expected; these should
be answered politely.

The idea behind this newsgroup is the need to improve fast and
informal communication between researchers working on
homoptera. Newsletters (like the 'aphid resistance newsletter' which
was published as a paper copy once a year) appeared inadequate for
this goal. In the near future WWW-Newsletters or Archive sites based
on this newsgroup might be developed. 'Pointers' to these sites will be
posted in the newsgroup when appropriate.

sci.bio.entomology.homoptera is *NOT* intended as a forum for buying
and selling insect specimens nor for advertising commercial products
and services.  However, it is permissible to use the newsgroup to post
brief comments with pointers to addresses where readers can obtain
information about such products. All participants are expected to
respect the environment and the law. Efforts to encourage trespassing
or to subvert conservation laws are *NOT* welcome on this newsgroup.

CHARTER: sci.bio.entomology.homoptera

The aim of this newsgroup will be the exchange of scientific
information and discussion on homopteran insects (aphids, whiteflies,
leafhoppers, planthoppers etc.). Anyone seriously interested will be
welcome to join the scientific discussion.

Possible subjects (not exhaustive and in random order) are:

- Insect biology
        - Ecology
        - Physiology
        - Behaviour
        - Virus transmission
        - Symbionts

- Insect-plant interactions
        - Chemical ecology
        - Feeding behaviour
        - Multitrophic interactions

- Economic entomology
        - Agricultural pests
        - Resistance mechanisms/breeding
        - Natural enemies/biological control
        - Insecticide resistance

- Taxonomy

- Research techniques
        - Rearing techniques and clone collections
        - Electrical penetration graphs
        - Phloem collection/analysis
        - Development of new research tools

- Announcements of meetings

The discussion will be held preferably in English when posted to the
world community (as set up in the news "distribution" field). FAQ's
should be developed for specific areas of interest. In time, the
newsgroup will be backed up by WWW sites where important information
will be archived by subject, and databases on names of participating
scientists/research areas etc.  can be stored and accessed.

Commercial announcements are not permitted as this news group is not
intended to be a marketplace. Pointers to more information on
(commercial) products / equipment / activities related to homopteran
insects are allowed.

END CHARTER.

DISTRIBUTION:

This Call for Votes is being posted to the following newsgroups:

        sci.agriculture, sci.bio.misc, sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,
        sci.bio.entomology.misc, sci.bio.phytopathology, sci.research,
        bionet.announce

This Call for Votes is being mail to the following mailing lists:
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

sci.bio.entomology.homoptera Final Vote Ack

Voted Yes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu:FWH@ftld    Forrest W. Howard, Ft. Lauderdale Res. & Educ. C
[email-masked]                             Anthony O'Sullivan
[email-masked]                                                    Larry Scherr
[email-masked]                                         Adam Finkelstein
[email-masked]                                          Nigel Allen
[email-masked]                                              Susan E. Halbert
[email-masked]                                         DEVONSHIRE
[email-masked]                                            Oscar Alomar
[email-masked]                                  I BILLY ANNAN
[email-masked]                                antoon loomans
[email-masked]                                         Aaron Rashotte
[email-masked]                                Isabelle Badenhausser
[email-masked]                                              Adalbert Goertz
[email-masked]                                                Paul L.Th. Beuk
[email-masked]                                                   David Bewley
[email-masked]                                     A. BOLTON
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                       Rene.Bournoville
[email-masked]                                        Gary J Brewer
[email-masked]                                         Brian  Schultz
[email-masked]                             Stephen Buchmann
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                               Bart Vanholder
[email-masked]                                       D. L. Mosher
[email-masked]                                               Caillaud
[email-masked]                                              Mark Kupferman
[email-masked]                                                 Cathy Bristow
[email-masked]                                        F. Jacot Guillarmod
[email-masked]                                               Dedryver
[email-masked]                                             Claudio Cerato
[email-masked]                                       Carolina Godoy
[email-masked]                                   Christopher Lodge Stamper
[email-masked]                                 Luis J. Corcuera
Corry=[email-masked]                           corry brink
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                           David Holdom
[email-masked]                                                dan gerling
[email-masked]                                           Don Peters
[email-masked]                                                      Deirdre
[email-masked]                                           Bernard Delobel
[email-masked]                                      André Delplanque
[email-masked]                                           Dinah Hales
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                  dick diederik
[email-masked]        Dimitri Forero - Estudiante Biologia
[email-masked]                                     Dennis Kuhlman
[email-masked]                                                     Dan Rothschild
[email-masked]                                               David Voegtlin
[email-masked]                                        Doug Yanega
[email-masked]                                         Alberto Fereres
[email-masked]                                  eddy dijkstra
[email-masked]                                    ellis meekes
[email-masked]                                  Julie K. Stahlhut
[email-masked]                               DR ANDY EVANS, SAC EDINBURGH
[email-masked]    F.R. van Dijken, CPRO-DLO, PObox 16, NL-6700 AA W
[email-masked]                                              Gerard Febvay
Fengming=[email-masked]                         fengming yan
[email-masked]                                       Murray Fletcher
[email-masked]                                        KIMMINS Frances
[email-masked]                           frans van alebeek
[email-masked]                          freddy tjallingii
[email-masked]                                                  T R Frillman
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                  Craig Yencho
[email-masked]                         GOPAL  Ganapathiraju Sree Ramana
[email-masked]                                        Eugene Powell
[email-masked]                                         Gary Puterka
[email-masked]                               David Iain Greig
[email-masked]                                        Gary Thompson
[email-masked]                            Geoffrey William Zehnder
[email-masked]                                             Ian Harvey
[email-masked]                                           Larry Heilmann
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                       Etienne Herrbach
[email-masked]                                  Hans-Ulrich THOMAS
[email-masked]                                                  zoologie
[email-masked]                                    Hideya YOSHIDA
[email-masked]                               martin j coghlan iii
[email-masked]                                               BEDFORDI
[email-masked]                                       Isgouhi Kaloshian
[email-masked]                                               James Reinert
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                          Jeremy P. R. E. Dimmock
[email-masked]                            James Ridsdill-Smith
[email-masked]                            Jennifer Carder 5-3613
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                       Jens Weibull
[email-masked]                                                       Jon Martin
[email-masked]                                            john janovy
[email-masked]                         Joao Roberto Spotti Lopes
[email-masked]                                         Johnnie v/d Berg
[email-masked]                                          Jason B. Oliver
[email-masked]                                   Jonas Sandström
[email-masked]                              joop van de wege
[email-masked]                                   joop van loon
[email-masked]                                             JOHN REESE
[email-masked]                                                John VanDyk
[email-masked]                                          Kirsten Brandt
[email-masked]                                             K.S.Powell
[email-masked]                                               Keith R. Hopper
[email-masked]                                          John Klingler
[email-masked]                                         Toyomi KOTAKI
[email-masked]                                           Dave Krinsky
[email-masked]                                        Laurent Lapchin
[email-masked]                                            lei hong
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                        lindy messchendorp
[email-masked]                                                       Darryl
[email-masked]                         maarten van helden
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                Mike Quinn
[email-masked]                                    marcel dicke
[email-masked]                               marnix van meer
[email-masked]                                                Mary Carver
[email-masked]                                              CAHILL
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                         Emanuele MAZZONI
[email-masked]                                          Pasquale Delli Paoli
[email-masked]                                   Robert L. Meagher
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                        menno schilthuizen
[email-masked]                                            Mark Harris
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                Mati Marits
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                           Michael W. Daniels
[email-masked]                                         K. Watanabe
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                              Nick Birch
[email-masked]                                             Christopher Majka
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                          Nick Ingegneri
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                        olga krips
[email-masked]                                  Paul Watson
[email-masked]                                              Paul De Barro
[email-masked]                                           Claudie Pavis
[email-masked]                                                       Paxil
[email-masked]                                               Paul Bolchover
[email-masked]                                          STEVENSON Phil
[email-masked]                                                Sylvain Piry
[email-masked]                                                          INIA
[email-masked]                                                Pete Bastien
[email-masked]                                'BurkeZoology' C Wood
[email-masked]                                               Qingquan Fang
[email-masked]                                                  Yvan Rahbe
[email-masked]                                          Stephanie da Silva
[email-masked]                                                            Rick
[email-masked]                                      HARRINGTON
[email-masked]                                   R.M. Wilkins
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                 robert litz
[email-masked]                                          rosemary cole
[email-masked]                                            Steve Stauffer
[email-masked]                                              RUFUS ISAACS
[email-masked]                                    Weerawan Amornsak
[email-masked]                                        Georg  Donde
[email-masked]                                          M. sato
[email-masked]                                              Saul Frommer
[email-masked]                                           Sauvion Nicolas
[email-masked]                                     GAIL SCHOFIELD
[email-masked]                                                Gwenne F Lally
[email-masked]                                      Ed Engelman/Sue Atkinson
[email-masked]                              Sebastian Gondershausen
[email-masked]                            McKamey, Stuart H.      {ZMUC}
[email-masked]                                      Roxanne A. Shufran
[email-masked]                                                Kevin A. Shufran
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                    Gregor Stoelting
[email-masked]                               Stuart Brown
[email-masked]                                             grasswitz
[email-masked]                                          Tom Branham
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                  test3
[email-masked]                                            Thomas G. McWilliams
[email-masked]                                               Tom Griffin
[email-masked]                                              Thomas Meade
[email-masked]                                       Thomas H. Slone
[email-masked]                                         Trefor Woodford
[email-masked]                                       Fernando E. Vega
[email-masked]                                                     Kars Veling
[email-masked]                                                   Tom Wakelyn
[email-masked]                                              Greg Walker
[email-masked]                                               Bill Chaney
[email-masked]                                       Ms K.H. Willson
[email-masked]                                        wim frentz
[email-masked]                                             Bill Morgan
[email-masked]                                   WILANT VAN GIESSEN
[email-masked]                                          Kent Paul Dolan
[email-masked]                                             Yvon ROBERT
[email-masked]                                                    Dickze

Voted No
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                               Michiel Wijers
[email-masked]                                  David Marshall
[email-masked]                                                   Emery Lapinski
[email-masked]                                                   Lance K. Chun
[email-masked]                                     John R. MacWilliamson
[email-masked]                                              Kim DeVaughn
[email-masked]                                   Patrick J. LoPresti
[email-masked]                                                  Paul Sarkar
[email-masked]                                             Richard H. Miller
[email-masked]                                     Glen Patrick Ryan
[email-masked]                                                  Dwight Brown
[email-masked]                             Todd C. Lawson
[email-masked]                                         Risto Widenius

Abstained
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                          Maxime Taksar KC6ZPS
[email-masked]                                    Lars Eilebrecht

Votes in error
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                              adriaan vermunt
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                                                 Henry Brodkin
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                                          Jack Kramer
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                                                      T.C.
   ! No vote statement in message