Subject: Watson Fellowship on Tropical Butterflies

From: nicole gerardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:38:55 +0000

Hello. My name is Nicole Gerardo. I am a senior biology major at
Rice University in Houston, Texas USA. I will graduate in May 1997 with a
B.A. and hope to pursue a Ph.D. in Tropical Plant Ecology and Ecosystem
Dynamics. Though I am not planning to focus on animal behavior, zoology, or
entomology in graduate school, after conducting some volunteer research at
the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Houston Museum of Natural History, I
have become enamored by butterflies. I would like to have an opportunity to
pursue this passion.
        In this light, I am currently applying for a Watson Fellowship in
order to study Neotropical and possibly African lepidoptera for a year. The
$16,000 fellowship allows graduates to follow their dreams and study
anything in any part of the world for a year. I hope to visit breeding
programs and conservation projects concerning lepidoptera, due some field
research with some scientists, and view and photograph a diverse variety of
species in their native habitats. In order to conduct this project, I need
names of scientists, conservationists, and lepidopterists willing to help
me with this project. I also need names of places that I should go. Where
is the best biodiversity? Where are their current tropical conservation
projects? Who will be conducting tropical field research in 1997 and 1998?
Can you help? Please send me whatever information you can. Thank you.
[email-masked]

Nicole Gerardo
Wiess College
6340 South Main
Houston, Tx 77005-1889

work 527-8750 ex 2481
ph. 526-9764 or 630-8844
[email-masked]
Team Wiess!