Subject: PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAILS

From: MS SALLY O LEVINSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:49:23 -0500

My Peterson field guide to western butterflies says that _Battus
philenor_ (pipevine swallowtail) feeds on _Asarum_ (wild ginger).
When I was raising the caterpillers, they wouldn't touch ginger.  Has
anybody seen this caterpiller eat this plant?  Ginger seems easier to
grow.  And prettier.    Sally

---

From: Brian Kopper <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jul 1996 14:17:29 GMT

>grow.  And prettier.    Sally

Sally,
 The pipevine swallowtail does eat Asarum.  But if the larvae were 
already eating dutchman's pipe (Aristolochia sp?) they may not switch 
over to Asarum.  The reason depends on a variety of things but for some 
reason it seems that older caterpillars (of other species that i have 
worked with) will switch hosts more readily than the earlier instars.

Also, if the caterpillars are in their final instar (~2inches) they may 
be displaying wondering behavior.  During this behavior they are looking 
for a place to chrysalis and will not eat.  

hope this helps,
brian