Subject: Position Available - Lepidopterist

From: Margaret Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 11:46:07 -0500

Please excuse cross-posting - we are trying to get this out widely and quickly
******************************************************************
        Curatorial Assistant - Zoology Department/Insects

The Field Museum in Chicago is looking for a full-time Curatorial Assistant
(Museum Specialist III) to help expand and improve the pinned insect
collection.  This position is expected to last approximately two years,
beginning as soon as possible.

This individual will be responsible for moving and rehousing the Lepidoptera
collection and other pinned insects (except Coleoptera), reorganizing this
large collection according to a modern classification, labeling trays and
drawers, working with visiting curators and supervising one Collection
Assistant helping with the work.

Field Museum's Lepidoptera collection is worldwide in coverage, totalling
over 100,000 specimens, predominantly "macro-leps".  A major component is
the Herman Strecker collection (worldwide, nearly 50,000 specimens of both
butterflies and moths), which is rich in types and other historically
important material; the specimens in this collection were individually
labeled under a previous grant.  Several smaller now-separate donations and
the general Lepidoptera collection will be integrated with the Strecker
material as the main focus of this NSF-funded project.

The ideal candidate for this position will have a bachelors degree, or
equivalent (masters degree preferred), and prior entomology experience.
This person must be familiar with pinned insect collections and have
substantial knowledge of Lepidoptera taxonomy, identification and literature.

Starting salary will be in the low to mid twenties.  Review of applications
will begin May 20.  Interested candidates should send their resumes to:

The Field Museum
Personnel Department
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL  60605
Fax:  (312) 427-7269
email: [email-masked]

EOE (m/f) The Field Museum is an equal opportunity employer (minorities and
females).

*****************************************************
*****************************************************
Please direct inquiries about the collection or the work
involved to either of the following:

Alfred F. Newton    [email-masked]  or
Margaret K. Thayer  [email-masked]
***********************************