Subject: European checklist available

From: Per Stadel Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:57:28 -0800

Now available:

THE LEPIDOPTERA OF EUROPE
A Distributional Checklist

Scientific editing by Ole Karsholt
Initiated and compiled by Józef Razowski

29 x 21 cm. 380 pages. Strong hardcover.
Price only Danish Kroner 490,00 excl. postage.
Includes CD-rom with datalists in Paradox, Dbase and Text format.

This is the first list to cover the entire European Lepidoptera fauna
since the famous "Staudinger-Rebel Catalogue" which was published as
long ago as in 1901. The present checklist was proposed by Prof. J.
Razowski of Kraków at the European Congress of Lepidopterology in
Wageningen, the Netherlands in 1984. Since then a large number of
European specialists have been working on the family/subfamily
treatments, and finally the list has been checked by leading experts
in the national faunas.

The higher classification used in the checklist is in accordance with
the most recent research as it will be presented in the forthcoming
treatment of Lepidoptera in the series "Handbook of Zoology" edited
by Prof. N. P. Kristensen. Hopefully the list will lead to uniformity
in the systematics and nomenclature used in European lepìdopterology!
Besides being a checklist, The Lepidoptera of Europe also indicates
in table form, in which of the European countries each species has
been recorded. The occurrence is indicated for the following
32 countries/regions: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Corsica,
Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great
Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania,
the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sardinia, Sicily,
the European part of the former Soviet Union (apart from Estonia,
Latvia and Lithuania), Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the European part
of Turkey, and the former Yugoslavia. As the checklist has been under
preparation since the mid 1980's, some of the latest changes of the
European borders could not be taken into account.
The Lepidoptera of Europe contains more than 10.000 records covering
8.300
species known to occur in Europe!
The Lepidoptera of Europe will be an indispensable tool for anyone
working with the European fauna of any group of Lepidoptera. The book
is published in a limited edition of only 800 copies

Published by Apollo Books, Denmark.

The book can be ordered at my E-mail :
[email-masked]
P. Stadel Nielsen
and I will pass your order on to Apollo Books.