Subject: Recruiting Field Naturalists for Bio-Blitz in Washington D.C

From: FROG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 07:54:36 -0600

BIO-BLITZ
        Kenilworth Park, NE Washington, D.C.

     WHAT IS IT:         The "blitz" is a one day event, co-sponsored by
                                the National Park Service and the National
                                Biological Service, in which experts from
                                all walks of the biological community are
                                being invited to help conduct a Biological
                                Inventory of this National Park Service
                                site.

     WHY ARE WE:         The "blitz" will add valuable information to
     HAVING IT                  the park biological database, information
                                on species presence for some groups that
                                may otherwise never be recorded.  Data will
                                be used for making sound management
                                decisions. It's also an opportunity to have
                                some fun, discover "D.C.'s" rich natural
                                heritage, and meet other professionals in
                                the field.

     HOW WE ARE DOING IT: Walking, watching, digging, wading, canoeing

     WHOSE INVITED:      Biologists, scientists, and various
                                professional organizations within their
                                respective fields ie. reptiles, fish,
                                dragonflies, spiders, small mammals, earthworms,
                                copepods, bats, moths, grasses, lichens, ferns,
                                and mosses to name a few.

     WHEN WE ARE:        June 1, 1996 (24 hour event-depending what you
     HAVING IT                  are searching for ie. bats, night flying
                                moths,dragonflies, butterflies, etc.).

     WHERE WE ARE:       Kenilworth Park, NE Washington, D.C. (including
     HAVING IT                  the historic Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, 32
                                acres of reconstructed tidal emergent
                                marsh,various palustrine wetlands along the
                                Anacostia River, meadows, forest, and turf
                                areas.

     This is the first of two announcements about the Bio-Blitz.  The
     second announcement contains specific details of the event, such as
     where and how to register, how to acquire maps and available data on
     the park, and questions dealing with your needs for the day/night.

     If you have questions about the event feel free to contact either of
     the coordinators: Dan Roddy (National Park Service) at 202-690-5185 or
     email address [email-masked] or Sam Droege (National Biological
     Service) at 301-497-5840 or email address [email-masked].

     PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND PASS THE WORD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS AND
     COLLEAGUES!

     Our Goal is to Document 500 species at Kenilworth Gardens in one Day.
     We will need your help.

           IT SHOULD BE FUN!