Subject: Re: cecropia pupa

From: KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 07:08:05 -0400

I keep my cocoons out in a protected screened in porch allwinter in a
plastic container with a  screened ventilation hole in the top. MY friends
who refrigerate seem to lose more of their pupa although it usually works
o.k.

---

From: Pete Honl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 06:48:48 PDT

Regarding the thread about storing Cecropia pupa, I would like to add the
 following:

As  an experiment, one fall I split my indoor cage-reared Cecropia cocoons (the
 caterpillars had pupated before the start of the experiment) into two groups.
 The sample size of each group was ten.

Group one) I placed this group in the refrigerator for the entire winter.  The
 humidity varied from 50 - 75% and was controlled by spraying the cocoons with
 water.  The temperature was 40F.

Group 2)  This group was placed outdoors on the ground in a small cardboard box,
 then covered with leaves.  In March I took the box indoors and placed it in the
 refrigerator next to group one.

Our winters in northern Minnesota are quite cold.  Overnight lows of -30F in
 January and February are not uncommon.  Also, it is not unusual for the
 temperature not to go above 0F for a week at a time.

The result was that group one had a 80% emergence rate and group two had a 100%
 emergence rate.

Pete Honl

---

From: "Gregory J. Watkins-Colwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 18:24:29 -0400

Thanks to all who responded about my pupa.  I guess my real question is, is
it too hot still.  I mean, is this the normal time of year to pupate, or
should it have been a few weeks from now?

I just don't want the thing to emerge too early.

Greg

---

From: KATHLEEN BENNETT deMARRAIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 19:47:33 -0400

MY cecropia pupated several weeks ago so I think you are in good shape.
What sort of success are you having with Cecropia?  For two years now I
have had very poor results despite pampering the larva considerably. They
just want to die at fifth instar .  I"m feeding mine on apple and they eat
and grow well.

---

From: Pete Honl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 07:49:07 PDT

>just want to die at fifth instar .  I m feeding mine on apple and they eat
>and grow well.
>

This spring my Cecropia mated but the eggs were infertile.  I posted my woes to
 this list.  The responses I received seem to indicate too much inbreeding.  A
 kind lady sent me some viable Cecropia eggs.

I haven t had any trouble with caterpillars in there final instar.  In fact,
 until this year I haven t had any trouble with the caterpillars at all.
 However, I remember reading somewhere (??) that Cecropia caterpillars are
 susceptible to disease in their latter instars.

I cage-rear mine indoors in 3 L x 2  W, x 4  H cage.  The frame is 2" x 2"
 lumber covered with window screening.  I also added a hinged door on the front.
  I feed the caterpillars cut lilac. Our summers here in northern Minnesota are
 short but very pleasant.  Daytime highs are in the 70F range.  Usually the
 humidity is low.  We get the occasional hot humid spell, but it s not the norm.
 My home is not air conditioned.

What are the conditions for rearing your Cecropia?  Do you rear them indoors?