Subject: Butterfly morphology

From: Philip LaBrie <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Sep 1996 06:05:14 GMT

At the moment I am culturing Ornithoptera primus and Papillio ulyssis 
using natural host plant. I have a major problem with viral 
contamination in the P. ulyssis that has redused production almost to 
"0". My question however, is about O. primus. When the butterfly emerges 
>from  the pupal case it quite often has a split proboscus. The butterfly 
cannot feed and dies in a couple of days. What could be the cause of 
this? is it a developmental problem? 
	The proboscus is formed during metamorphus does the two halves form 
together or does the butterfly joim them together during emergance?
I would be greatful for anny assistance 
Phil

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Sartwell)
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 1996 17:46:37 -0500

I worked in a lab where 100+ generations Douglas-fir tussock moth were
mass produced on an artifical diet. This insect is highly susceptible to a
nuclear polyhedrosis virus. So, all egg masses were bathed in a 2%
solution of bleach for two minutes.

---

From: Philip LaBrie <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Sep 1996 03:43:59 GMT

Thanks for all your help Ive got heeps of info that has answered my 
question 
thanks again
Phil