Subject: Questions about a rearing structure.

From: trgarden <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 1996 13:56:01 GMT

Planning on making some type of enclosed stucture for the pupose of 
rearing some Lepidoptera.  I am wondering if those with experience in this 
had some do and don'ts that would help.

My plan is for a 12' X 16' X 8' Screened on all sides.  An area provided 
for directly planted food plant and a low bench for cut material.

Will a semi sunny location be preferred over a full sun area?  

Is the size suitable for Papilio?

What screen mesh size is recommended 1/8", 1/4", 1/2"?

Nylon or galvinized Screen?

What is a good adult food source?

Thanks 
Tom Middagh

---

From: "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:32:28 GMT

SHEESH! you don't half ask a lot don't you.

>Will a semi sunny location be preferred over a full sun area?

The 'cage' must have full sun for only the first half of the day and
possibly late afternoon if that can be arranged.
My greenhouse moves into the shade of several large ash trees at around noon
during the summer and has afternoon sun from around 5pm.

>Is the size suitable for Papilio?

Plenty big enough for any insect, I breed papilios in a 8'x6' greenhouse.

>What screen mesh size is recommended 1/8", 1/4", 1/2"?

You'll be amaz\ed how small a mesh size a butterfly can squeeze through.

The wings can 'fold' to nearly the diameter of the thorax.

So I woukld say 1/8" is a must, it also keeps out larger flies/hymenoptera.

>Nylon or galvinized Screen?

Nylon is OK provided it is UV rot resistant. Black is popular but kake green
is better since it gives a certain amount of shade from hot sun.

>What is a good adult food source?

Buddleja is one of the best, but tends to grow too large for an enclosure,
unless it is big enough, I suggest radicle pruning at the end of each seasom
(early DEC is a good time).

>Thanks

My pleasure

Andrew