Subject: Batesian or Mullerian Viceroys

From: Patrick Roper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 22:08:09 GMT

Subject: Batesian or Mullerian Viceroys

We have had the following query from a reader.  Can anyone give an answer?:-

"For many a long year I have thought that the American butterfly, Limentis
archippus, commonly known as either The Mimic, or more often The Viceroy,
was a non-poisonous colour and pattern mimic of The Monarch butterfly,
Danaus plexippus.  All books I have seen which mention this insect claim its
mimicry to The Monarch, and sometimes also D. eresimus and D. gilippus as
being Batesian in form.

However, quite recently I have been informed that this is incorrect and that
all four of the above butterflies are poisonous, or at the very least
non-palatable, to would-be predators.  If this is the case, then the
association, or mimicry, of this quartet of insects should be described as
Mullerian and not Batesian.

I would certainly appreciate having this simple conundrum solved by any
person in the know and if it turns out that the mimicry status has been
changed, when and on what evidence did this come about?"

Any help with this one will be gratefully received.

    South View - Churchland Lane - Sedlescombe - Battle - East Sussex TN33
0PE - UK
Telephone:  +44 (01424) 870208; Fax: +44 (01424) 870208; eMail:
[email-masked]