Subject: bibliographic request

From: Gerardo Lamas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 21:59:08 PER

Dear Leps-L-netters:  I have a special request, which I hope some
of you might consider as an interesting challenge, and perhaps some help
will be forthcoming.  For the past 20 years I've been compiling a
bibliography on the Neotropical butterflies.  It shall be published
in a few months (as vol. 124 of the Atlas of Neotropical
Lepidoptera, edited by J. Heppner), and contains almost 10,000
annotated references.  However, as might be expected, there are a
few publications which contain (or may contain) information on
Neotropical butterflies, and which I have been unable to find in
several major libraries (Smithsonian, Library of Congress, National
Agricultural Library, AMNH, NYPL, ANSP, BMNH, Berlin, Paris, etc.
etc.) and a multitude of smaller libraries in Europe, North America
and Latin America.  In spite of all this effort (including
pestering too many friends and colleagues), I've been unsuccessful
in obtaining copies of the references listed below.  I would be
extremely grateful if some merciful soul in cyberspace would be
kind enough to send me a photocopy of any of the following:

- Andrade, G. 1990. Frailej"n (Bogot ) 3: [pagination unknown].
- Bacon, P. et al. 1979. Occas. Paper Dept. Zool. Univ. West Indies
     4: [pagination unknown]
- Bartlett, A.W. 1909. The Official Gazette of British Guiana
     [paper on Brassolis sophorae, dated 28 July 1909]
- Berg, C. 1881. Jahresber. Gartenbau-Ver. Riga 4: 17-21.
- Beyer, H. 1922. Revista de Revistas (M xico) (vol. 13?)
     [pagination unknown, paper dated 8 January 1922]
- Bryk, F. 1923. Bananenbladet 6: [pagination unknown; dated 15
     March 1923; possibly a newspaper?]
- C rdenas, R. & J. Raigosa. 1972. Publ. misc. Min. Agric. Centro
     Comun. Tulio Ospina (Bogot ?) 30: 1-10.
- Catoni, L.A. 1921. "Bull. Rome" 12: 1775-? [this might refer to
     the Monthly Bull. Agric. Intell. Plant Diseases (Rome)]
- Chiesa, O. 1943. Pampa argentina 17(185): 8-22.
- Enslen, C. 1921. Rev. Centro Cultura scient. (Pelotas, Brazil) 4:
     8-9.
- Farr, T.H. 1982. Nat. Hist. Notes Nat. Hist. Soc. Jamaica (New
     Issue) 1(8): 22, 1 fig. [not even the author of this note has
     a copy!]
- Lindley, T. 1815. Royal Military Chronicle 1815(March): ?-462 [on
     a butterfly migration in Brazil]
- L"pez, E. & O. Chiesa. 1941. Primera Reuni"n argentina de
     Agronom!a, p. 93.
- Lynch Arribalzaga, E. 1894. El Campo y el Sport (Buenos Aires?)
     3: 1923-?
- Machado, T.O. 1923. A Id ia (Niter"i, Brazil) 22: 12 [newspaper?]
- Mari"n, L. 1975. Helios (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) 3:
     42-49.
- Matta, A.A. 1917. Seringueira (Manaus, Brazil) 12: [pagination
     unknown]
- Merino, G. 1957. Bol. Divulg. Dep. T cn. Asoc. Nac. Bananos
     Ecuador [Number?, pages?, dated 12 June 1957]
- Pennington, M.S. & H. Wilkinson. 1910. Illustrated Review of
     Argentina (Buenos Aires), vol. 12 [several articles on
     butterflies & moths of Argentina - magazine?]
- Robert, N. & A. Mouzo. 1926. Almanaque agrario (Santa Fe,
     Argentina) 1926: 253-265.
- Rocha, F.D. 1927. Bol. Soc. cearense Agronomia (Fortaleza,
     Brazil) 3(11): 78-80.
- Rose, L. 1992. Carta Nat. 1992: 55-59.
- Veltkamp, H.J. 1976. Panflet voor de voorlichting 21: [pagination
     unknown]
- Williams, C.B. 1944. Rev. C mara Agric. Ecuador (Primera Zona
     [Quito]) 6(53/55): 47-48.
- Winter, W.R. 1910(?). Bull. Bermuda Dept. Agric. [or 1914?,
     Agric. Bull. Bermuda - note on Calpodes ethlius]
- Zayas, F. 1954. Circ. Mus. Bibl. Zool. La Habana, pp. 1421-1422.
     [in 7 copies of this journal I've seen, these two pages are
     always missing; maybe the paper was suppressed, but it is
     cited in the index to the journal!]

Finally, does anybody have any idea what could be a work cited as
"Catolicon" or "Catholicon" by Esper in "Die Auslaendischen Schmetterlinge"?
(it is probably a pre-linnean book).

     I'm terribly sorry about the length of this message, but this
will be the only time I'll be posting it.  Thanks in advance to all
who take an interest in this quest.
*********************************************
Dr Gerardo Lamas
Museo de Historia Natural
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
Apartado 14-0434, Lima-14, PERU
voice: (51-1)471-0117; fax: (51-1)430-0607
e-mail: [email-masked]