Subject: Re: Data Collection Standards

From: Jim Herndon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 15:24:15 -0600

Sam,

     Since my field is really computers rather than leps, let me offer a
suggestion on the butterfly monitoring activities.  My experience has been
that we need to establish well-defined guidelines as to data collection or
the work may not be very useful when we get ready to enter the data for
analysis.

   You may have already done this, but if you haven't, then let me suggest
that we first come up with a list of the data elements.
For example:

 Date, Time, Location, Name of observer, Butterfly, count, Confidence level

    We could then describe each element:

    Date - YYMMDD

    Time - Use local time (military) 1300  not 1 PM

    Location - (I'm not sure about this, maybe Lat-Long, or maybe
                use the quadrant of the state and a transect number  SW PA23)

    Name of observer - Last First MI  (Doe John P)

    Butterfly - (I know that there are some who would go to war over this,
                 but we need to decide now which will be our standard, use the
                 NABA common names or the scientific names)

    count - how many of this species were seen (we may wish to make a separate
            entry for each observation and just forget this element)

    Confidence level - how sure is the observer about his identification
                       (1 - 10) 10 = 100% sure

We may wish to have an entry for the skill level of the observer.

     Once you come up with a list of the elements and a description of each of
them, I would suggest that you submit it to the LEPS group for suggestions.
After this I would suggest that we make available this form to all observers
so as to standardize the data collection.

     The form should be simple.  For example:

           Date     Time   Location   Observer        Butterfly      Confidence
(EXAMPLE)  95-04-29  1430   SW PA 23   Doe John P     Viceroy           10
          |        |      |          |              |                |
          |        |      |          |              |                |
          |        |      |          |              |                |
          |        |      |          |              |                |

     I hope this is of some help.

Jim Herndon    [email-masked]

P.S.  I would like to also volunteer to  run 5 transects in my area.

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Weir)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 06:34:25 -0600

In <[email-masked]>, Jim Herndon <[email-masked]> 
writes:

>suggestion on the butterfly monitoring activities.  My experience has be
>that we need to establish well-defined guidelines as to data collection 

<snip>

>                use the quadrant of the state and a transect number  SW 

     Some years ago when I was collecting seriously, it occurred to me 
that the Zip Code is a very handy locator.  Unfortunately it may change 
according to the whims of the Post Office.  Today's nine-digit zips are 
even more accurate.  Especially if you find a moth in your post office 
box.

--
   Eric Weir              [email-masked]                Austin, Texas
   --------------------------------------------------------------------
        "That's too much to give up; what do I get for a rib?"

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1298

---

From: David Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 16:33:14 -0800

I spent last weekend in the High Desert north of LA in Lancaster
visiting friends and doing some combined birding and butterflying.
 While it seemed a little early based on the flowers and the amount
of butterflies that I saw, I thought I'd make a brief report.  I'm
new to butterflying, so if any of what I thought I saw seems absurd,
please email me.

I spent about 3 hours in the Nature Conservancy's Big Morongo
Preserve on Saturday with the following sightings:

Becker's White (Pontia beckerii) - many (although some may have been
Checkered White (Pontia protodice), as few paused long enough to be
certain)
Spring (California) White (Pontia sisymbrii) - 1
Orangetip sp (Anthocharis sp.) - 10+ (I never saw one landed, so was
uncertain as to which one I was seeing.  Does anyone have any
thoughts based on the location?)
Brown Elfin (Callophrys augustinus) - 1
Ceraunus (Edward's) Blue (Hemiargus ceraunus) - 1
Silvery Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus) - 2
Acmon Blue (Plebejus acmon) - 3 or 4
California Patch (Chlosyne californica) - 15+
Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) - 1
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - very many, everywhere I went
West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella) - a few, not migrating like
cardui
Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) - 1 or 2
Lorquin's Admiral (Liminitis lorquini)/California Sister (Adelpha
bredowii) - 1 (I had a brief view of one of these two species landed
in the path.  I thought that it was the admiral, but it flew off
before I could get much of a look.  Thoughts?)

On Sunday, I spent about 3.5 hours at Bob's Gap (some of it too early
in the day) with the following sightings:

Checkered (Common) White (Pontia protodice) - a few for sure, many
whites not well enough seen.
Pearly (Edward's) Marble (Euchloe hyantis) - 1
Sara Orangetip (Anthocharis sara) - many, several perched :-)
Dotted (Mojave) Blue (Euphilotes enoptes) - 6+
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - many
West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella) - a few
Funereal Duskywing (Erynnis funeralis) - 2
Common Sootywing (Pholisora catullus) - 1

--
David Powell
Half Moon Bay, CA
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Samuel Sun)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 19:51:08 GMT

> thoughts based on the location?)

This was most likely Anthocharis cethura, based on the locality.

> Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - very many, everywhere I went

Yeah, tell me about it, they are everywhere in large quantities

> before I could get much of a look.  Thoughts?)

Hmm... this could be either or.  I'm not too familiar with the vegetation in
the area.  If there were oaks around, I'd say the California Sister.  If
there were willows (like in the stream basin) it is probably Lorquin's
Admiral.

Thanks for the report!

Sam Sun

---

From: Bill Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 95 15:57:28 -0500

I would like to suggest that you contact the Nature Conservancy since their
volunteer stewardship network is already involved in Butterfly monitoring as
part of their site stewardship program. I am sure a symbiotic partnership can
be worked out. They need more volunteers and they are willing to share their
findings. Plus, any scientific guidance is always welcomed,

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Hill)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 21:15:35 GMT

Zips may work in populated areas, but the zip for an undeveloped area 
may not be useful.  I find, and note that many others found or are 
finding, that the Delorme maps are excellent and have Lat Lon.  I prefer 
UTM, but find lat lon more readily available.  I get UTM or lat lon off 
quad sheets or GPS.

[email-masked]