Subject: Common Names

From: CPL Scientific Limited <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:21:57 +0100

Hi 

I was hoping that some kind sole out there could help me. Through
something that i'am doing at the moment at work i get alot of common
lepidoptera names, I need to find the latin names for them.

Can anyone suggest a book that is upto date and extensive enough to
cover common names. I already have one book but its not extensive
enough.

Paul Cope
--

---

From: Donald Hobern <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 11:56:18 +0100

> cover common names. I already have one book but its not extensive

The Natural History Book Service (see the "Help identify geometrid"
thread for details) lists two books of British lepidopteran names:

An Indexed List of British Butterflies and Moths 

     JD Bradley and D Fletcher 

     Scientific/English names of over 2500 spp. 

     119 pages 

     Price: GBP 8.90 - 1986 - Order Code: #01602W paperback 

A Recorder's Log Book or Label List of British Butterflies and Moths 

     JD Bradley and DS Fletcher 

     156 pages 

     Harley 

     Price: GBP 1.50 - 1979 - Order Code: #01239W paperback 

I don't know anything about these two books (or whether the cheaper
second one includes English names or is indexed).  

Donald

-- 

Donald Hobern : CICS AIX Development
E-MAIL       : [email-masked]
TELEPHONE    : +44 1962 815301

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Crowther)
Date: 9 Sep 96 20:04:07 -0700

Of the two Bradley and Fletcher books, the second is an updated 
version of the first. The 1979 version has a separately published 
index which may be out of print. The updayed version has a very long 
list of errata. They both include 'popular' English names, those of 
macro spp. being derived from the book by South (I just forget its 
title but can find it if you are interested) Pete Crowther