Subject: Papilio aristodemus ponceanus

From: [email-masked] (Neil Jones)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 17:35:13 +0000

Can anyone throw any light on this story which has appeared in a recent
publication over here in the UK. I would like to confirm its accuracy and to
find out the full story. I think that the author has a particular cause that
he wishes to promote ie that of people who wish carry out introductions of
rare species. (This is becoming a contentious issue here in the UK.)
I would stress that I am NOT stating this story as being accurate.
I wish to know the full facts.
 
"LUDICROUS ATTITUDE TO CONSERVATION.
News in from the Unites States of America- Dr. Thomas Emmel has had amazing
success in breeding the Endangered Papilio aristodemus ponceanus in captivity,
currently holding an overwintering stock of over 1,500 pupae, only to find
that local bureaucrats are refusing him permission to release the butterflies
in suitable areas. It seems that some local authorities do not want the
butterfly released on land under their supervision, since they then would
be responsible for its protection. Saved from near extinction, the
recovering butterfly populations are not wanted back."

-- 
Neil Jones
[email-masked]