Subject: Re: copulation duration skippers

From: [email-masked] (Phil Schappert)
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 15:09:32 GMT

Luc De Bruyn <[email-masked]> wrote:
...snip...
>the skippers Thymelicus sylvestris (Small Skipper) and Thymelicus lineola
...snip...
>To prepare the study, we first scanned literature. Unfortunately, we did
>not find any data concerning the copulation duration of both species.
...snip...
>Therefore our question, does anyone knows the copulation duration of
>these species, or give us a reference where we can find more info.

Hi Luc,

I would find it pretty hard to believe that Ken Pivnick and Jeremy McNeil
did not document this in their studies on T. lineola. Have you seen their
papers on mating behaviour (Ann. Ent. Soc. Am. 78: 651-656, 1985) or on
puddling by males and transfer of sodium to females during mating (Physiol.
Entomol. 12: 461-472, 1987)?

Phil

---
Phil Schappert
Biology, York University
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
[email-masked] or [email-masked]