Subject: Re: Netting Bans/Collecting

From: "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 08:52:43 -0800

Thankyou Tim, for your well written defense of collecting.  In case there 
was a misunderstanding, I have no objection whatsoever to collection of 
insects and authorized collection of birds.  Some of my best friends are 
collectors :-)
I just happen to enjoy the challenge of trying to identify bugs using 
binoculars and photographing them (the butterflies, not the binoculars).
No one is more cognizant than I of the fact that without specimen 
collecting there would be no identification guides for me to use in 
indulging my hobby.
Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
	Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
			33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List

---

From: Dr ED Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 08:07:25 +000

I agreee with Everett D. Cashatt.  While it is true that many butterfly
species can be identified readily, the identification of many moth
species and microlepidoptera necessitate their netting and collection,
and often dissection.  How can one ascertain the moth species
present in an area without netting or use of a light trap?

In the UK in my area (Yorkshire), there are two species of Brown
Argus butterfly (The Brown Argus - Plebejus agestis and the Northern
Brown Argus - Plebejus artaxerxes ssp artaxerxes) with a third, the
Castle Eden Argus (Plebejus artaxerxes ssp salmacis) which are all
very difficult to tell apart.  My feeling is that the Regional Recorder of
Lepidoptera would not be too happy if I told him that I identified the
species by binoculars!  It would be considered very unscientific!

Indeed, one recorder stated that he would not accept any records of a
particular group of moths (Pugs) without seeing specimens himself
because the group is very difficult to separate into species (in most
cases).  This, of course brings the argument around to the taking of
voucher specimens!

I also believe that netting and collecting bans have a negative effect
on the development of entomology as a hobby in children.  After all, if
no children were allowed to develop an interest there would be very
few future entomologists!

Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664