Subject: Re: Field guide

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:06:13 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] ("Charles V. Covell 
  Jr.") says:

>  Well, Covell has tried very hard, and so has Opler, to convince
>the Peterson Field Guide folk at Houghton Mifflin Co. to publish a
>western moth guide.  They seem to think it would not sell as well
>as the eastern one, which is now in its 4th printing.  They say
>that their experience shows that western guides sell at about 25%
>of their eastern counterparts in any faunal group.  I strongly
>question this; but that's for them to decide.
>  I am planning to do an North American Moth Book to commemorate
>the 100th Anniv. of the Holland book, and thus treat western and
>eastern moths as well.  The eastern guide covers all but 3 small
>families, but as Patrick Foley says, does not overlap much with
>species covered in my book.  I am able to provide copies of the eastern
>field guide to those who respond not to the list but to my E-mail address,
>below.

Well, it certainly won't sell *at all* if the don't publish it, will it?  :-)

Your project sounds interesting.  You mention an eastern guide.  Are you 
refering to the Peterson volume, or will your new guide be in two 
volumes?  With the diversity of species in this country, I should not be 
surprised.

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California