Subject: Re: Indigenous Butterfly Species

From: Kenelm Philip <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 21:01:48 -0800

Steve:

        As a starting point, try Scott's 'The Butterflies of North America',
which has range maps for each species (and the state borders are shown on
the maps). Note that Scott's maps are not _proof_ that the butterfly occurs
in any given region, since he made some guesses and was not always working
>from  good data--but they're a good start.
        For firm data, if old, on Pennsylvania, refer to Harry Clench's
reports on the butterflies of Powdermill Nature Reserve. And note that
there is a group currently working on Pennsylvania butterflies--they re-
cently posted to this list, so check the archives.

                                                        Ken Philip
[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Quinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 14:41:49 +1103

>I'm interested in learning which species of butterfly are indigenous to
>specific areas of the United States and Canada.  Initially, I would like to
>know species that are native to my home state of Pennsylvania, and those of
>other Eastern states, along with similar information for all other
>US/Canadian areas.
>Steve Connolley
>[email-masked]

Contact the Ohio Lepidopterists' Society:

http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/ohioleps.html

Mike...

_________________________________________________________________
Michael A. Quinn, Graduate Student      [email-masked]
Texas A&M Univ. Dept. Entomology        tel (409) 845-9747
College Station, TX 77843-2475  USA     fax (409) 845-6305
________________________________________________________________
            ` '                          TAMU Entomology:
           \ o /                     http://entowww.tamu.edu/
          __ O __
             O                     Selected Texas & K-12 info:
            / \               http://entowww.tamu.edu/entoloc.html
                                         (May 1 Updates)