Subject: butterfly houses

From: ANGELA WIERZBICKI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 09:27:00 +0000

I am considering turning a greenhouse into a public butterfly
          house, complete with an educational display about the butterfly
          life cycle.
          Does anyone have any advice or suggestions pertaining to the
          opening of a butterfly house?  For example, what species of
          butterflies are suitable for this kind of project and what types of
          plants do they require?  What information should be included in an
          educational display on butterflies?  Does anyone know of any
          economical, reliable suppliers of butterfly pupa and plants?
          I would really appreciate any help, as my experience with
          butterflies is very limited.
          Thanks,

          Angela Wierzbicki, Sault Canal National Historic Site
          1 Canal Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, P6A 6W4
          e-mail: [email-masked]
          Phone: (705) 941-6213   FAX: (705)941-6206

---

From: [email-masked] (Neil Jones)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 11:57:52 +0000

If you want information on setting up a butterfly house, I would recommend the
book, " The Butterfly Gardener" by Miriam Rothschild and Clive Farrell.
It is published by Michael Joseph Ltd, 44 Bedford Square, London WC1 and the
 Rainbird Publishing Group Ltd 40 Park Street London W1Y 4DE. ISBN 0 7181 2258 5
The book is divided into 2 sections, outdoor and indoor. The indoor section
is by Clive Farrell who has set up several large indoor butterfly houses
in the UK. The chapters are: Introduction, Setting up the Greenhouse, nectar
 and other Butterfly foods, A Tropical Life Cycle, More Butterflies for your
 Greenhouse, Breeding Native Butteflies, and Pests and other problems.

I hope this is of use to you. Good Luck. 
-- 
Neil Jones [email-masked]