Subject: Innertown moths in Europe

From: Michael Straube <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 19:57:00 +0200

He everybody,

I'm new on the list and hope to find someone working on the same topic as
me.

This year I collected (and still do) moths for my dissertation
(Diplomarbeit). I'm using six equal automatically working light traps,
five placed in parcs in the town of Aachen/Rhineland and one in a real
wood close to the town. Additionally I worked with a manual light
(Leuchtturm) to get more individuals in these poor parcs.

My question is wether anybody on the list also collects/collected moths in
innertown habitats and is interested to exchange informations about them.
I'm also thankful for any hint on information.

Esp. in the last weeks I've got big problems with bats (esp. Pipistrelles
and Serotines). [Well, actually I'm more a bat worker than a
lepidopterologist but at the moment they're really annoying me.]
Has anyone good estimations on the part they catch? Last monday I was
catching in an old cemetry and only got 88 moths which of course was also
due to the weather. At the same time there were 2 to 5 Pipistrelles
(Zwergfledermdse, the most common species in Europe, esp. in towns). So,
in my opinion, they got at least half of the animals flying towards the
light. On the other hand, seldom they hunted below 2m. Perhaps they only
sampled those, flying high above the light wich I couldn't get anyway.

Any answers are very welcome

Michael Straube
RWTH Aachen
Biologie VII
Kopernikusstr. 16
52056 Aachen
e-mail: [email-masked]

## CrossPoint v3.0 ##