Subject: mortality in adult butterflies

From: "Charles V. Covell Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 16:24:30 EDT

Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONE: (502) 852-6771

Dear Lep-netmates:  I have long been interested in learning what some true
adult life expectancies are for butterflies, as it is something often asked
me.  Alan has asked for some data in this area, but I would like to hear
even more.  What are longevities of various butterflies in lab and also in
field?  I am sure a lot of research articles have good data embedded.  For
myself, I reared a Gulf Fritillary, _Agraulis vanillae_, from wild-caught
larvae in Paducah, KY, and hatched several adults.  One did not expand its
wings well, and I kept it alive on sugar water as long as I could.  That
period was 33 days.  I have reared and kept very small Geometridae of genus
_Idaea_ (formerly _Sterrrha_) alive for about 10 days maximum.  I would be
grateful if those of you responding to Alan respond via the net, as I'd
bet a nickel to a mouldy peanut that others in the group would like to
know more about this, too.  Thanks.  Charlie
PS: Seen in KY 7 APR 95: E. marcellus, P. glaucus, F. midea, A. andria,
Cyllopsis gemma, Erynnis brizo, Pieris rapae, P. virginiensis & C. philodice.
[Charles V. Covell Jr, Prof. of Biology, U. of Louisville, Louisville,
KY 40292-0001 U.S.A.  Phone: (502) 852-6771; FAX (502) 852-0725
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^