Subject: Cockchafers in moth traps

From: Andrew Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:32:17 EDT

Regarding Dave Chesmore's comment about Cockchafers (Melolontha melolontha) in
moth traps This is the first year in 6 years of trapping that I, too, have had
cockchafers in the trap. Three in the past week or so.  I have no idea why as
given their attraction to light one would expect to commonly find them crashing
into traps.

Cheers

Andrew

---

From: Alan Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jun 1996 12:21:15 GMT

Every year I am plagued with cockchafers in my light trap. They 
certainly mess up other specimines and occasionally render moths 
unidentifiable

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 12:06:27 GMT

>given their attraction to light one would expect to commonly find them crashing

Hi Andrew,

I run a Heath Trap on a local SSSI (in South Oxfordshire) and we do
_sometimes_ get Cockchafers but usually we get Carrion (or Sexton)
Beetles and male Glowworms in the right season (sorry no scientific
names - no books at hand).

This year we have probably had more Cockchafers than usual but I think
there are more about this year - I have seen quite a lot buzzing
around roadside lights and porch lights.

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.