Subject: Technology in Entomology

From: Dr ED Chesmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:00:45 +000

To all Leps-L subscribers

The Royal Entomological Society of London is announcing the
following meeting to be held at Manchester University on 24 May
1995:

On Wednesday 24 May we will be running a half day meeting with the
title "Technology in Entomology". This will serve to launch the
Special Interest Group (SIG) with the same title.

The application of electronic and computing technology in entomology
is relatively new.  Many recent developments in signal and image
processing, geographical information systems (GIS) and remote
sensing have considerable potential for more efficient, reliable and
innovative approaches to data collection and analysis in entomology.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to keep pace with changes in
technology and the SIG is being formed to act as a focus for
discussion and dissemination of new applications, ideas and
technology.

The launch meeting will take the form of a number of presentations
which will cover the broad range of technology and include several
specific examples such as image and signal processing, and GIS.
The format of the meeting remains to be finalised, but we envisage
having a mixture of formal presentations together with workshop type
events. The meeting will be held at Manchester University. If you are
interested in attending or wish to contribute a presentation or
demonstration please contact Gordon Port at the address below or the
SIG organiser: Dave Chesmore, Dept. of Electronic Engineering,
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX. Tel: 01482 465062,  Fax: 01482
466664, [email-masked]

For further information on meetings in North Region contact the
Regional Honorary Secretary: Gordon Port, Department of Agricultural
& Environmental Science, The University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
7RU. Tel: 0191 222 6894, Fax: 0191 222 5229,  email
[email-masked].
Dave Chesmore
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664