Subject: First/last sightings

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 22:21:39 GMT

Sighting date: Monday February 20, 1995
Locality:      Dry Gulch (0.5 mi W of St Francis Damsite)
County:        Los Angeles Co
State:         California
Weather:       dry, hot (80s), calm, sunny (no clouds)

Species:       Danaus plexippus (adult in flight)               1 (2?)
               Anthocharis sara (adults in flight, nectaring)      20+
               Pieris rapae (adults in flight, nectaring)           2

These represent my first sightings for the season.  Pieris rapae I 
normally do not include in notes because it is so common, but I have done 
so this time because it was together with the other species. 
We usually have _Pieris rapae_ and _Agraulis vanillae incarnata_ around the 
house at home (Canoga Park, Los Angeles Co) on a year-round basis; we 
have had the former throughout the winter, but in fewer numbers than in 
recent years.  The latter (gulf fritillary) comes to our passionvine 
(_Passiflora caerulea_) using it as a larval host 9-12 months out of the 
year, depending on weather: this year has been slow so far.

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California