Subject: Ladoga camilla larvae on Populus tremula?

From: Patrick Roper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 17:10:26 +0000

One of our most respected lepidoptera field workers, Ken Willmott, reported
feeding damage last summer typical of pre-hibernation larve of the White
Admiral, Ladoga camilla, on leaves of the Aspen tree, Populus tremula,
rather than the usual Honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum.

The White Admiral is well-established in this particular woodland in Surrey,
U.K. and the closely related Poplar Admiral, Limentis populi, whose larve do
eat Aspen, is not found in the United Kingdom.

Does anyone know if Ladoga camilla larvae have ever been recorded on Populus
tremula?

It would also be helpful if our taxonomist subscribers could say whether
these butterflies should be in the genus "Ladoga" or "Limentis" (or, indeed,
somewhere else altogether) - they seem to wander about between the two
according to the date and the origin of the material which refers to them.

Patrick Roper
Butterfly Conservation
--
South View, Churchland Lane, Sedlescombe, East Sussex TN33 0PE, UK
Telephone: +44 (0) 1424 870208; Fax: +44 (0) 1424 870208
Email: [email-masked]