Subject: UK Butterflies

From: Michael Healy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:24:38 -0400

Last week I saw a group of about 15 Green-veined Whites (Pieris napi)
crowded together in a dried-up puddle, flapping their wings as if they were
in a mini-wildlife programme from  the Tropics on TV.  Do other Pierids do
this?  The nearby P rapae did not seem interested.
MIchael Healy

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Raper)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:55:39 GMT

>this?  The nearby P rapae did not seem interested.

Hi Michael,

I don't know about the UK but I saw Black-veined Whites A.crategii(?)
mud-puddling in Switzerland this year. They were very easy to get
close to and seemed relatively oblivious to my movements.

In the tropics just about everything mud-puddles. In South America I
saw Pierids, Nymphalids, Papilionids and Hesperids together and they
were equally subdued. I even managed to pick up a few large Hesperids
and replace them without them flying off!  

Cheers
Chris R.

--
All views are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.