Subject: Re: Cockchafers in moth traps

From: "A.P.K.Torry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:32:22 GMT

Doesn't anyone else get wasps (Vespa) in their traps?

---

From: John Himmelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:38:46 -0400

In CT, I was getting so many "chafers' in my trap they were literally crushing
the smaller moths.  I switched to using a hanging light and sheet, and although
it solved the beetle problem, I end up sacrificing some of the moths to wasps.
I'm not sure what kind they are but they pick the moths off the sheet, bring
them to a branch, knock off the wings, and take off with them.  I've only
witnessed it twice, and it happened so fast that I couldn't get a good look at
what kind of wasp it was. At first, I thought the wings I was finding scattered
in the grass was the work of the local House Wren or titmouse.

I also was getting Giant Water Bugs and Carrion Beetles.  But the most common
insect attracted to the light, after the moths & chafers, have been, and are
still, Fishflies(Chauliodes sp.).

>Doesn't anyone else get wasps (Vespa) in their traps?
**************************
John Himmelman, CT USA
[email-masked]
**************************