Subject: More First Sightings

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 01:46:48 -0500

Had first sightings of Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) (2
butterflies) at Council Cup, a forested, rocky promontory overlooking the
north branch of the Susquehanna River in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, on
Tuesday, 9 May. Also present on my newly established transect route through
sections of bottomland forest along the river below were several Pearl
Crescents (Phyciodes phaon), many Spring Azures (Celastrina ladon), a few
Cabbage White (Pieris rapae), a few Clouded Sulphurs (Colias philodice) and
one Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis).
Temperature was 70F and the wind on the Beaufort scale was factor No. 2. The
sky was hazy overcast.

Last Sunday, at Brigantine National Wildlife Refuge on the coast of New
Jersey, I caught sight of my first Monarch (Danaus plexippus) for the year.
Also present were Juvenal's Duskywing (Erynnis juvenalis) and C. ladon.

Alan Gregory
Conyngham, Pa.
*************************                 ****************************
* Monica E. Gregory, PH.D.     "Nobody cries when habitat dies,
* Asst. Prof, Psychology        because habitat doesn't have big brown
* Penn State Hazleton            eyes." --Copeyon NF&WS
* Hazleton PA 18201
* Internet: [email-masked]
* Tel:(717)450-3188