Subject: Rhapsody In Green in L.A. Times

From: "Henry M. Brodkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 11:19:37 -0700

In the Los Angeles (California, USA) Times, April 8 edition on page B7 -
There is an article on a local environmental organization - Rhapsody In
Green - and it's involvment in enhancing habitats with the original
native foodplants for, among other organisms, the recently rediscovered (it
was thought to be extinct) Palos Verdes Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus
palosverdensis).
These weekend deweeding warriors are wacking the invasive non-native ice
plant (Carpodopterus edulis) and replacing it with the native rattleweed
Astragulus trichopdus lonchus on which the larvae of palosverdensis feed.
This group also replanted municipal airport land with the Coast Buckwheat
(eriogonum latifolium) to support the endangered El Segundo Blue
(Euphilotes bernardino allyni).
Perhaps Fred Heath, Jess Morton, or Rudi Matoni (Are you there, Rudi?)
might have more to say about this.
Cheers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Hank Brodkin <[email-masked]> Marina Del Rey, CA
                        33.58'24"N 118.27'39"W
 finger <[email-masked]> for information about the Calbird-L Mail List