Subject: Re: Planning trip to Poland/Czechia/Slovakia

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Majka)
Date: 23 Apr 96 09:52:50 -0400

Johan Padding <[email-masked]> writes:

> My father and I are planning a 'butterfly'trip to Poland or Czechia or 
> Slowakia this summer, but we are not sure where to go yet.

And Floyd Catchpole <[email-masked]> writes:

> On my must see list in Poland is the Wisent (European Buffalo) preserve.  I
> regrettably forget it's name, but there's only one in the world.  It's big,
> so there are probably many butterflies too.

The reserve is in Bialowieza in the extreme east of Poland. Take the train to
Bialystock and a couple of hour bus ride south-east to Bialowieza. It's the
last, largest forested reserve in Poland-Byelarus (the reserve spans both sides
of the border) and has both wild Wisent and captive breeding herds. They
are most interesting to see and the forests there are spectacular. I once
worked in the Bialowieza Research Station (doing research on bats) and I
did do some collecting of leps. There was some very good habitat there
to find a variety of forest species. Unfortunately my focus then was on other
things so I can't give you a very comprehensive picture of what you would find 
there.

Have a good trip!

Christopher Majka

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Christopher Majka             Internet: <[email-masked]>
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada            <[email-masked]>
Electronic Resources on Lepidoptera Website: URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa051/lepidoptera.html

The caterpillar on the leaf, repeats to thee thy mother's grief.
Kill not the moth nor butterfly, for the Last Judgement draweth nigh.
					-- WILLIAM BLAKE 1757-1827
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.