Subject: special 1994 obs. NL+B

From: [email-masked] (Dutch Butterfly Foundation)
Date: 11 May 1995 14:01:18 GMT

Because of the warm summer of 1994 in Western Europe a lot of special
butterflies were seen in The Netherlands  and Flanders.
In the magazine 'Vlinders' (dutch for butterflies) the most   interesting
observations  are given in an article by Kris Peeters and Kars Veling.
I will repeat some of them, because most of you won't be able to read the
original article (which is in dutch):
- Very special: Brentesia circe was found on 9 August in Flanders. The normal
  distribution is  in the mediterranean. The nearest population is in the 
  Vosges (France). This is a new  species for NL and Flanders.
- Colias croceus: The first good migration since 1983.
- Apatura ilia: Two observation in The Netherlands, both females. This species
  sometimes establishes itself for a   few years and then disappeares again.
  The Netherlands is situated at the edge  of the distribution.
- Argynnis paphia: The last few years this species is seen more  and more.
  We think that this species profits from the hot  summers we have had
  since 1989. 
- The small population of Cyaniris semiargus which was found in The Netherlands
  in 1993 disappeared again. 
- The populations of Mellicta aurelia, another species  discovered in 1993,
  did very well in 1994.
Of course this is only a small overview of all the observations.
Anyone who has interesting observation in The Netherlands or Flanders can 
send them to the Dutch Butterfly Foundation.

Chris van Swaay
Dutch Butterfly Foundation
E-mail: [email-masked]
Postbus 506
NL-6700 AM Wageningen
Tel.: +31-8370-24224