Subject: Re: first sighting - Black Swallowtail

From: Jeffrey Glenn Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 22:49:03 -0500

I wish to report my first encounter with a female Eastern Black
Swallowtail Butterfly (Papilio polyxenes). This one individual was
sighted on Sunday, May 7, 1995 at approx. 1530 hrs. This individual spent
about twenty minutes attaching eggs to a pot of fennel. At last count,
there were 18 eggs deposited. Weather was cool ca. 75 degrees F,
overcast and windy ca. 8-13 mph and gusty. I thought the individual was
going to be blown off  the plant several times. I observed this female
taking a turn around the backyard and returning to the plant for more egg
deposition. Really a neat sight!
regards
Jeff Schultz
R.A.Vines Science Center
Spring Branch ISD
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Korbelik)
Date: 9 May 1995 20:03:15 GMT

What: White Lined Sphinx Moth (sorry can't remember the scientific name
      off the top of my head, and I don't have my books with me, and
      besides I'm Latin impaired) 8-)

Where: Los Angeles

When: May 9, 1995 Time approx 12 noon.

Sky conditions: Sunny

Temp: about 70-72F

I am constantly amazed by the leps that I see in _downtown_ Los Angeles,
including Western Tiger Swallowtails and an Anise Swallowtail.

Brian Korbelik