Subject: Arthropod Systematist tenure-track position, any level

From: Felix Sperling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:37:32 -0800

Please circulate widely!

ARTHROPOD SYSTEMATIST
ENDOWED CHAIR

        The University of California at Berkeley, Department of
Environmental Science, Policy and Management, invites applications for a
position as Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Insect Biology with
concurrent appointment in the Agricultural Experiment Station.  The
ladder-rank appointment will be on a nine-month basis.  The appointee will
be awarded the William M. and Esther G. Schlinger Chair for an initial
period of 5 years which is subject to renewal.  The position will be
available July 1, 1997.

        Applicants must have earned a doctoral degree in a field
appropriate for the research area.  The successful applicant should have a
broad interest in the biology and systematics of terrestrial arthropods.  A
strong background in quantitative methods of phylogenetic and biodiversity
analyses is preferred.  Applicants in the early stages of their careers who
have established national and international reputations for excellence in
research are strongly encouraged to apply.

        The appointee will be expected to contribute to general
undergraduate courses in insect or environmental biology and to a graduate
course in their area of specialization, as well as to the administration of
the Essig Museum of Entomology (http://www.mip.berkeley.edu/essig/).  The
appointee will also be expected to provide professional and academic
leadership to Master's and Ph.D. level graduate students.

        Interested persons should apply by submitting a curriculum vitae, a
statement of research interests, statement of teaching interests and
experience, copies of recent publications, and the names of three
references (names, telephone numbers, postal and email addresses) to:

                        Professor Vincent H. Resh, Chair
                        Arthropod Systematist Search Committee
                        ESPM--Division of Insect Biology
                        201 Wellman Hall
                        University of California
                        Berkeley, CA  94720-3112

        The closing date for applications is February 15, 1997.

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer