Subject: Re: Mercury Vapor Lights

From: Ken Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:21:52 GMT+120

From:          Self <UFHCC/ADAMS>
To:            [email-masked]
Subject:       Re: Mercury Vapor Lights
Reply-to:      [email-masked]
Date:          Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:20:53

I agrre with those who say M.V. lights are the way to go in
attempting to catch moths a comparison of mv v's ordinary lamps is
revealing especially effective for faster flying moths eg Sphingids.
I also have noticed a bias towards greater numbers of males and am
not convinced that this was entirely due to not having the trap in
the best place. I have also noticed that insects are attracted from
long distances and also tend to alight and "sit " quite a long way
>from  the trap my question is has anybody any idea from how far away
a moth may be attracted to a mv light , I know that robin Baker had a
student  some years back who "demonstrated' that their effective
range was only a few feet, but from my experience i don't beleive it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Adams
Zoology Department
University of Fort Hare
P Bag X1314
Alice, SOUTH AFRICA

Phone (W) 0404-2337
Fax (W) 0404-31669, 0404-31643
e-mail [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------