Subject: Monarch Butterflies in the British Isles

From: Patrick Roper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 07:46:22 GMT

Thanks to the North American  subscribers who have commented on my report of
a sighting of the Monarch butterfly in south west England last year.  It may
not be generally realised "across the pond" that the species is a fairly
regular visitor here, though always in small numbers.  The first was
recorded in 1876 in south Wales, since when there have been nearly 500
sightings and some years of relative abundance (e.g. 135 in 1981).

The butterflies are generally thought to have crossed the Atlantic, though
some are now undoubtedly coming up from colonies on the Atlantic islands or
Spain.  The origin may be indicated by the presence of North American birds
or southern migrant moths etc. coming in at the same time.

In addition to the genuine immigrants, there are undoubtedly releases from
captivity.  Last year, for example, several were reported from eastern
England, but some would undoubtedly have been seen crossing the country to
get there if they had come under their own steam from the west.

Monarchs are mostly reported in September and October, but there have been
one or two spring sightings of butterflies that had conceivably overwintered
here.

Patrick Roper
Editor: Butterfly Conservation News (UK)
============================================================
South View - Sedlescombe - Battle - East Sussex TN33 0PE - UK
Telephone:  +44 (01424) 870208; Fax: +44 (01424) 870208
Email: [email-masked]
============================================================