Subject: Re: Butterfly Conservatory

From: "Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:14:41 GMT

On 13 Jun 1995, Your Real Name Here wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to find out information on building a conservatory for 
> butterflies. Can anyone give me some tips on this subject. I recently 
> just got back from looking at Callaway Gardens Conservatory in Pine Mtn., 
> Ga. It was fascinating! Please contact [email-masked]
> 

Butterfly Culture: A Guide to Breeding butterflies, moths and other 
insects.  by John L. S. Stone and H.J. Midwinter. 1975. Blandford 
Press.  ISBN: 0-7137-0736-4   

Not conservatory butterfly rearing; seems to be more for the hobbiest; 
gives info on cages, then details on breeding and rearing info for a 
variety of species.  Also a lis of entomological suppliers (though this 
may be dated).
 
The Butterfly Gardener by Miriam Rothschild and Clive Farrell. 1983.  
Michael Joseph/Rainbird.  ISBN: 0-7181-2258-5.

The section by Clive Farrell who built the London Butterfly House at Syon 
Park gives details of "setting up the greenhouse, nectar and other 
butterfly foods, More butterflies for your greenhouse, breeding native 
butterflies and pests and other problems.  A list of further reading is 
also included.

Enjoy.

----
Chirps!

Sharon J. Collman                     OR      Sharon J. Collman
c/o Center For Urban Horticulture             
Box 354115                                    13720 23rd Ave. NE
University of Washington                      Seattle, WA. 98125-3322
Seattle, WA  98195-4115
           
Phone:  206-543-8616                          206-365-6966 
Fax:    206-685-2692
EMail:  [email-masked]

NOTE NEW ADDRESS: box and zip ext      OR     New address and phone