Subject: Re: Insect rearing in parks and/or gardens

From: Clever Hands <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Apr 1996 02:26:44 GMT

You might check with the folks at the Lorquin Society - associated with the L. A. County Museum ento department.
They've been working with the L. A. County Zoo to create a living ento display.

BSH

---

From: Anne Kilmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 05:06:30 -0400

Thomas J Hill wrote:
>
> -------------------------------------
> Name: Thomas Hill
> E-mail: [email-masked]
> Date: 4/28/96
> Time: 9:19:07 PM
>
> This message was sent by Chameleon
> -------------------------------------
> Dear Anne,
>         Just a thought....try contacting a local Boy Scout troop.  There are
> usually some kids out there working on Eagle Scout projects.  Our local school
> has been fortunate to have all our tails put in and an amphitheatre built by
> one young man for our budding outdoor education center.
>                                         Good luck
>                                         Claudia Hill

Boy Scouts are great.
We also have the girl Scouts, 4-H, service clubs, Sunday school classes,
all the public schools and most of the private ones, and now we're
working on involving the hospitals, nursing homes etc.
We have a nice garden going in at a home for kids with AIDS.
Condominiums are getting interested in environmental gardening, and
they're actually creating little garden clubs to work in their butterfly
gardens.
The local Garden Clubs (yes, really) have graduated from butterfly
gardening to general gardening to attract wildlife. Beetles and
fieldmice and voles, oh my!
Of course, meanwhile, the builders keep on planting the same tired old
stuff, and bulldozing all the natives.
I am working with the local Cooperative Extension Agency ( a branch
of a state governmental organization) to educate the builders.
Local landscape architects are working )free, for fun) with school
groups on their designs, and then the kids pitch in and plant and prune.
It's amazing what a community can do when we all see a chance to redeem
ourselves. Perhaps ... perhaps ...
Anne Kilmer
1424 Lake Bass Dr.
Lake Worth FL
33461
USA