Subject: Please help identify moth on http://zebra.sc.edu/moth.html

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Keeler)
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:59:13 -0400

Today as I was walking to an elementary school where I volunteer, I
came across one of the strangest moths I had ever seen. It was hanging
very still on an old dandelion. I went to the school, got a jar, and
caught it. It didn't move much when I did this, as if asleep. The kids
loved seeing it and were amazed at its beauty and size. After everyone had
seen it, I went outside and let it go. It quivered on the ground for a few
minutes, but then finally got its wits back and flew off. Quite a sight.
   Anyway, since getting home I've been searching the net to try to
identify it (I know very little about moths). I came across
<http://zebra.sc.edu/moth.html> and much to my surprise, the exact moth
(to my eyes) is pictured there, unidentified. I already e-mailed the
professor listed at the bottom, so don't bother him. I just thought I
might get a faster response or more information from the net's
butterfly/moth lovers. Since the school lets out for summer in two days,
it would be nice to get some info soon.
   BTW, for those interested, this took place in Ann Arbor, MI.
   Please respond via e-mail, as I don't usually read this group. (Sorry
if this appears twice, I had a failed first attempt.)

Thanks, Dennis Keeler ([email-masked])