Subject: Re: Bats...What is their range?

From: [email-masked] (Gary Dyrkacz)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 20:21:42 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Chris Lewis) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Chris Lewis)
>Subject: Re: Bats...What is their range?
>Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 12:51:29 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]>,
>Larry Smith USG <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>(Tim Jennings) writes:
>>
>>>Put up a purple martin house instead. They will eat many mosquitos and won't
>>>be as messy as the bats. All you need is a house and some phone lines nearby
>>>and you should have some in no time.

>>Purple martins are good, but don't eat as much per unit weight, and
>>don't flock as heavily as, bats do.  But, they make a good addition,
>>since the presence of both gives you 24-hour predation on mosquitos.

>I've been told that house swallows are considerably more effective than
>purple martins, in that the swallow's feeding height (low) is more compatible
>with mosquitoes.  The comment was that purple martins forage too high.
>And the housing requirement is simpler: ledges under eaves etc.

Gee around here, I get a real kick out of watching the martins forage about 
one to two feet off the ground.  They dart back and forth at very high speeds. 
 Really impressive.  Now if a swallow flies under this height they must 
 be taking on a lot vegetation and dirt :-)

Gary

.>Chris Lewis: _Una confibula 
non sat est_>Phone: Canada 613 832-0541>Latest psroff: 
FTP://ftp.uunet.ca/distrib/chris_lewis/psroff3.0pl17/*>Latest hp2pbm: 
FTP://ftp.uunet.ca/distrib/chris_lewis/hp2pbm/*

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Gary Dyrkacz    Hinsdale, Illinois
[email-masked]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]