Subject: Numclone utility (IBM-PC and clones).

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 92 11:48:00 EST

G'day netfolk...

It sure is quiet around here.  To lighten up a dull Northern winter,
I'll pass along something I wrote for fun... it's more of a utility than
a "real" program.

NUMCLONE estimates the number of clones one has to screen from a
genomic library in order to find a desired clone.  I only wrote it because
I keep on losing my copy of the formula... I KNOW where my computer is!!

You need to supply:
   - desired probability, e.g .99, or .90, etc.,
   - genome size (in megabases),
   - insert size (in kilobases).

The program will work on IBM PC, XT, and AT clones using CGA, EGA, VGA,
MDA or the ubiquitous HGC.

The algorithm was taken from page 9-3 of Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory
Manual (second edition) by Sambrook, Fritsch and Maniatis, Cold Spring
Harbor Press, Cold Spring Harbor, 1989.

The UUEncoded program UUDecodes to a self-extracting archive file
(generated by LHA v2.13), which contains NUMCLONE.EXE and NUMCLONE.DOC.

cheers,
John.

table
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_