Subject: VMS Database Submission Form Program

From: "Tony Kyne, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1991 23:48 +1000

Rob Harper, Dan Davison, Bruce Roe and Foteos Macrides

	Well I have finally finished it. The VMS database submission form
program SUBFORM, is now available. The following note describes how to get 
it etc. Rob and Dan - I have taken the liberty of including in the notes 
and docs that the package will be available at FUNET, UH Gene Server, IUBIO
and EMBL - you did offer.

				Good Luck, Tony Kyne,
					[email-masked]
***************************************************************************
      
          THE WALTER AND ELIZA HALL INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL RESEARCH  
      POSTAL  ADDRESS:    POST  OFFICE,   ROYAL   MELBOURNE  HOSPITAL,  
                    VICTORIA,  3050, AUSTRALIA  
    TELEPHONE: International 61-3-345-2555  National  (03)  345  2555 
                    TELEX: 30625 Attention ME3659  
       FACSIMILE: International 61-3-347-0852 National (03) 347 0852  

                                   SUBFORM

                A PROGRAM TO AID SUBMISSION OF SEQUENCE DATA
                         TO INTERNATIONAL DATABASES

                                     by

                              Marina Spaulding
          (Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research - Melbourne Branch)

                                     and

                                  Tony Kyne
         (The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research)

Correspondence:    Tony Kyne,
                   The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
                   Post Office, Royal Melbourne Hospital,
                   Victoria, 3052
                   Australia
                   e-mail: [email-masked]

   SUBFORM is Copyright (1991) by Dr. Anthony P. Kyne, Computer
   Sciences Unit, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical
   Research, PO Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, 3050, Australia.

   This program is made available for public use and must not be sold
   for profit. It can be freely distributed, as long the banner section
   of this document is included with any distribution.

                    ---- End of Banner ----
    The international  sequence database  submission form  program for VMS is
now available.  This  program  uses VMS  SMG screens  and  on  screen editing
facilities to assist  users in preparing and mailing an  entry to the various
database collators. The  entry produced by this program closely resembles the
submission form distributed  by the databases.  The program  was built around 
the form as it  existed a  couple of years ago.  It is not, repeat not, a VMS
version of AUTHORIN.

    The SUBFORM package now is available for ftp from the pub subdirectory at
wehil.wehi.edu.au   (128.250.252.13)  as  a  compressed  VMS  backup saveset.
European  and  North American users are  requested to conserve  the  precious
satellite bandwith between Australia and the US and try to  use ftp  or  mail
servers at FUNET (nic.funet.fi), UH  Gene  Server  ([email-masked]),
IUBIO (ftp.bio.indiana.edu) and  EMBL ([email-masked]). Hopefully
the  package will be  available at these  sites  in a day or so. The  package
includes  the  C  version  of  Don Gilbert's  (dogStar  Software and  Indiana
University biology Department) READSEQ package for  reading files  in various
popular sequence formats.

    (Please note that  this  SUBFORM  package  has  been  pulled from a wider
sequence analysis environment at WEHI/LICR/CSIRO-BME.  Hence if you decide to
get into the code to modify the  program,  and see what appear to be odd bits
of code about, it is some of the support code for local situation.)

    Select a home directory  for  the  package  and uncompress and unpack the
backup  save  set.  (A  decompression   executable  is  also  available  from
wehil.wehi.edu.au and other sites if you do not have this available.) It will
create a directory subform  and  subdirectories for sources and documentation
and the READSEQ package.

    The top directory, subform, contains all the necessary working files. You
will need to customize a number of files to get  the package  working.  Print
either the  Postscript  (SUBFORM.PS) or ASCII (SUBFORM.ASCII) versions of the
manual for the rest of the installation process.

    SUBFORM has tested OK on VMS 5.2, 5.3-1 and 5.4-2. I suspect that you may
have real difficulties running it on pre VMS 5.0 systems. Major  enhancements
occurred with Pascal about then.

    Send all comments, bouquets and brickbats to me([email-masked]). Marina
is no  longer with us - she  has stopped working for  the love of science and
now earns lots of filthy money in the commercial world downtown.

				Good luck, Tony Kyne.