Subject: Re: J-11 versions

From: [email-masked] (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 03:53:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Eric Smith) writes:
> I picked up some old VME boards with DCJ11-AC processors.  It appears that I
> may have two different versions of the DCJ11-AC.  Some have a date code of
> 8502, and the last line on each of the chips ends in "-3.5".  Others have
> earlier date codes, and the last line on the "top" chip ends in "-3.2".  Is
> this a different microcode version?
> 
> Can anyone provide a list of the known versions and revisions of the J11?

  There are a wide variety of J11's out there. The J11 was an ambitions project
that was killed by (pick one or more) greed on the part of DEC; greed on the
part of the chip fabrication house; legal disputes between DEC and the fabri-
cation house, and/or the designer getting bored and not finishing the part
(WCS and CIS).

  The highest rev J11 that's out there *should* be the -9 part (look on the
white ceramic base for a 21-xxxxx-09 part number. The numbers on the gold-cap
elements aren't really relevant to this. A -9 part runs at 18Mhz, has a work-
ing warm floating point, and supports the FPJ11 hot floating point properly.
Earlier revs run at slower speed and/or have broken FP and/or instruction set
bugs. Just about all combinations exist (I have a complete set from -3 through
-9) A -9 is a DCJ11-AE while most of the earlier numbers are DCJ11-AC.

> DEC part numbers for data sheets and manuals might be helpful also; I have
> the white PDP-11 architecture manual, but when I ask the local DEC office for
> more information, they say "DCJ11?  What's that?", and when I try to explain
> they say "PDP-11?  What's that?"

EK-DCJ11-UG    DCJ11 MICROPROCESSOR USER'S G                 E/U Adj. %
     Service:         1 Year               2 Years                3 Years
                 Gross      Net        Gross       Net        Gross       Net
        List:      21.00      21.00
    Standard:
   Agreement:                                         Non-Adjustable:
  Unit Meas.: Each                                             BASIC:
Installation:                                             DECservice:
SW Lic Req'd:                                              Lead Time:    7 Days
  Power Reqs:
    E/U Code: Y  DPP - END USER
    OEM Code: Z  DPP RSLR-SPARES/DIAG/DOC

	Terry Kennedy		  Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	[email-masked]	  St. Peter's College, Jersey City, NJ USA
        +1 201 915 9381 (voice)   +1 201 435-3662 (FAX)