Subject: Re: Mr Biddle and SIG's

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 17:30:16 -0500

I agree a lot with what Franklyn and George have to say about this issue but
would like to point out a trend I see in BAM which I suspect is going onin
other long established chapters. In the beginning we had a small group of
people who had very little information and were hungry for more. So they got
together as often as possible and taught each other the new nugget they found
working on their own. Chapter meetings then were amazing things and everyone
got into the fire. The first BAM meeting I attended had 5 forges going all
day.

A typical meeting today has one or two people demonstrating something,
surrounded by the same group of interested beginners while most of the better
smiths go outside and talk. Teh same folks do most of the demos and
frequently they are intermediates or beginners themselves.

We seem to be losing the original members, who for lack of time or whatever
are not passing on their secrets to the new generation. I've never had any of
them tell me this but I think some of them don't like to see the crowds at
our meetings growing so large. I think they feel at least a little bit
threatened by the newcomers.

What is sad is that they are forgetting what it was like when they got
started.

Don't get me wrong, not everone is this way. Doug Hendrickson, for example,
could walk in some pretty elite company if he so desired. Instead he shares
something new at virtually every meeting and hosts a beginner's workshop
every other year.

To the pro's, I say don't get above your raising. Don't forgot how you got
there. I once heard Chuck Patrick say he always goes to the JC Campbell Folk
School when a beginner's class is in session because he never fails to learn
something from them.

Perhaps Brad S. should go with him.

--Jim McCarty

---

From: Tom Vincent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 19:41:52 -0600 (CST)

I'm also amazed at the attitude directed towards Mr. Biddles contribution 
to AR. I enjoy AR, but if it is to be the face ABANA presents to 
outsiders, then it needs "beginner" articles whether the old guard likes 
it or not. The craft (or art) is nowhere near secure that we can afford 
to awe or intimidate even a person who casually picks one up at the 
library, much less one of our own members. 
	I still remember the snubs I got in the early 80's trying to find 
a way to learn smithing. Not only do I enjoy seeing beginners classes, 
but I haven't taught one in three years that I haven't learned something 
from my students. Shut up the "newcomers" and you shut up the only 
opportunity we have to reconnect with the twentieth century. I teach 
precisely because no one should recieve anything but respect and a chance 
if they want to learn smithing. And yes, if the old timers want to 
promote the art aspect of what we do, then they absolutely must make AR 
appeal to everyone, serious or casual, new or old. My most productive art 
work is done after I teach toolmaking classes specifically directed 
towards other artist such as stonecarvers, woodcarvers, turners, weavers, 
cooks and on and on, they teach me everytime to look at blacksmithing 
from a new perspective, use it in unexpectd ways. They need to be able to 
pick up AR and get enough from it to contribute to what ALL of us need to 
do- continue to learn.
	If there are any out there who afraid that maybe encouraging 
newcomers actually encourages competition, then I say bring it on. I 
teach my competition and work twice as hard afterward. And guess what - I 
make twice as much money. Tom Vincent