Subject: Fly press

From: "D. M. Dickie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 96 08:26 PST

Hi Again!

Am really enjoying the discussion on the list, and have learned some things.
This is a great way for smiths to get together, though it would be nice to
be able to see some pictures.  It would be easier to clarify one's thoughts
sometimes by seeing a diagram.  No doubt that will come soon enough, unless
it's already here, and as usual, I just don't know about it!

About 3 or 4 yrs. ago, I had the priveledge of visiting Bill Callaway's shop
in Phoenix where besides seeing some very fine blacksmithing and
fabricating, I got my first look at a fly press.  I have often thought since
that it would be a fun thing to have, but I know I wouldn't be able to find
one anywhere around here, or be able to afford it if I did.  It seems that
most 'smiths prefer the treadle hammer for veining and stamping, but I
wonder if anyone has any thoughts or perhaps even plans for a home built fly
press?  I have only been close to one once, but it seems to me that a small
scale version shouldn't be all that hard to do.  Any thoughts out there?

D. M. (Mike) Dickie
Flatlander Forge