Subject: How to tin-coat a Copper or Brass pan

From: [email-masked] (Radhika Thekkath)
Date: 29 Dec 92 06:23:58 GMT

We used a lot of Copper and Brass pans in India, which I think are coated with a
layer of tin on the inside. When the lining wears out I remember my mother would
take these pans to the market place, where a man in a small shop would re-coat it
with some metal and heat.
I don't exactly remember what he did, since its been 15 years since I saw this
procedure.

My question is, does anyone know what excatly this coating is, (I have assumed it
was tin). And what will I need to duplicate this procedure here in the US?

We have pans back at home, which are 100 years old belonging to my grandmother
and great-grandmother. I am begging my mom not to give them away or throw them
away. But, this means I have to bring them with me to the US. And to cook with
them, and not get poisoned, I assume I would have to maintain this coating on the
inside.

Thanks for any help.

radhika
([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Morgan Hall)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1992 15:50:26 GMT

>was tin). And what will I need to duplicate this procedure here in the US?

You are correct, it is tin.  You should be able to go to the Art department
of your school and find the person in charge of jewelry and metalsmithing.
Usually there will be a student working on coppersmithing who is competent
to re-tin cooking vessels.  

I spent 2 years as a T.A. in jewelry and metalsmithing at the University of
Oregon in Eugene and during that time we had several requests to re-tin
copper and brassware.

Morgan

(Oh, hell, I might as well come out of the closet --
  Morgan Hall MFA 1972 U of O -- jewelry & metalsmithing)

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 92 13:14:50 EST

Yes, they probably are tin. You could re-coat them by heating them up,
fluxing them with soft solder flux, and then running bar tin along the
surface. I don't even think you'd need to flux 'em actually. Just be sure 
they're very clean. (Steel wool/sandpaper, then clean with alcohol, 
don't touch with fingers after that, or greas ewill ruin finish)

In this day and age, you may want to consider having the insides
electroplated with slainless steel instead.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Moroney)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1992 22:49:04 GMT

There is a chemical available at electronics stores intended to plate copper
printed circuit boards with tin.  Should work with a pan.

-Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 92 04:01:20 GMT

>printed circuit boards with tin.  Should work with a pan.

\begin{quote}
TINNIT(tm) ELECTROLESS BRIGHT TIN PLATE
Designed to plate bare copper circuit boards
to enhance solderability. The material is supplied
as a dry mixture with an indefinite shelf life.
When mixed with water, it has a shelf life of approx. two months.
Tends to plate any metal that is chemically
more active than tin.
No electricity required. Will plate up to 600
square inches. Makes 1 pint.
CAT# ER-18 $4.75 each
\end{quote}

Page 32. Fall 1992 Catalog
All Electronics Corp.
PO Box 567
Van Nuys, CA 91408-0567
order 800-826-5432, info & cust. service 818-904-0524
Visa, MC, Discover, no COD; min order $10, $3.50 S&H

Produce label says "Contains acidic Tin Salts" and
"overheated dry salts can decompose and release irritating
sulfur dioxide and ammonia gases".

Mfg'd by "The DATAK Corp."

Jeff Bartlett

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Dorsey)
Date: 31 Dec 92 14:39:01 GMT

>printed circuit boards with tin.  Should work with a pan.

This puts on only a fairly light coating, which is fine if all you want is
corrosion protection on something that isn't going to be handled much.  For
pots and pans, you want a much thicker coating.
--scott

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Huffington)
Date: 31 Dec 92 18:25:41 GMT

>printed circuit boards with tin.  Should work with a pan.

I would be very careful of this.  It's more likely that it tins the board.
Which is coating it with solder.  A lead/tin plate is not desirable
for a pan.