Subject: Re: Some Interesting Books

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 93 15:31:18 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> 
>     Some books I haven't seen mentioned yet are the series written by
> Guy Lautard: "The Machinist's Bedside Reader"  and "The Machinist's
> Second Bedside Reader".  Lautard has also written a number of other
> books target specifically towards the hobby machinest and to a lesser
> extent towards gunsmiths.  He has even written a novel for machinists.
> I bought "Tha Machinist's Bedside Reader" several years ago after
> reading a raving review in "Rifle" magazine.  Recently I ordered the
> sequel.

I have heard of these books, but until now had not heard anything
about them.  I'm glad you are pleased, but it's still not clear
what the books are about.  Are these books (primarily the bedside
readers) that contain projects, or general instructional tips, or
are the bedside readers in fact the novel?

I'd like to include these in the FAQ, but hate to say "everybody should
read them but I don't know what they are"! :-)

Jim

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 93 00:41:43 GMT

In case you're interested the author sells these books directly
and his address is:
     Guy Lautard
     2570 Rosebery Avenue
     West Vacouver, B.C. Canada  V7V 2Z9
-------
MICHAEL F. GORDON
[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, 13 Jan 1993 10:42:29 EST

I'm sorry for my cursory description of the books by Guy Lautard.
Rather than having me describe the books myself, let me just offer an
abridgement of the author's own description from a flyer which accompanied
the book.

  THE MACHINIST"S BEDSIDE READER
  Contains: Working drawings and detailed instructions for making 15
  useful and practical machinists tools and lathe accessories; dozens of
  hints, tips and tricks to help get things done faster, easier and
  better in your shop; a collection of 2 dozen machine shop anecdotes;
  2 highly readable machinists short stories.
  Projects include: a sharpening jig for drill from 1/8 to #60, a
  swiveling base for a 2" Wilton vise, a graduated handwheel for
  the lathe leadscrew.........and many more

  THE MACHINIST"S SECOND BEDSIDE READER
  Similar in format to the first book; projects include: a small
  pantograph engraving machine, a tool maker's block, poor mans's
  jig borer and a kerosene-burning blowtorch....... also a short
  story titled "The Bullseye Mixture" which details the method for
  barbon pack color casehardening.

  Other books and plans by Lautard (not complete list):
  "Hey Tim, I gotta tell ya....' a mini Bedside Reader"
  "A Brief treatise on Oiling Machine Tools"
   "3.75' Diameter Ungeared Rotary Table"
   "Universal Sleeve Clamp"

   Lautard's targeted readership seems to be the home machinst.  I'm
sure that much of what he has to say may be "old hat" to a skilled
machinist with many years experience.  I confess that I am a rank
amatuer in machine shop practice (my only professional experience was
as a part-time helper in a gunsmith shop where the machine I got to know
best was the polishing wheel). The flyer I quote from is available from
Lautard at the address I gave with my last posting.

Michael Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Jones)
Date: 14 Jan 1993 15:46:08 GMT

>abridgement of the author's own description from a flyer which accompanied

[snip]

>   "3.75' Diameter Ungeared Rotary Table"

Oooh, a small rotary table! Sounds interesting (also unbelievable) anyone 
have any comments. I wonder if it can be used as a dividing head too
(if you add the plates).

[snip]

In addition:
I believe the Guy also sell an index of all the articles (and/or projects?)
in the back issues of Model Engineer (even available on 5.25" floppy disk).
I think this runs about $20.

Matthew Jones
[email-masked]
"Swarfsmith"

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Stone 4915162)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1993 01:51:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Matthew Jones) writes:

>I think this runs about $20.

I bought a copy of Guy's index to model engineer some years ago.  The
index is listed chronologically under a number of headings like DRILLS
or GRINDING etc.  You have to guess what heading the bit you are interested
in might be under and then search through the _fine_ print to maybe find it.
The book came to me with a very nice short note from the author though and 
this index is definitely better than nothing.

A much better index to Model Engineer is available from:
G.V.Wilkinson,   
129 Springside Rd,  
Hillcrest 3610,  
South Africa.
It used to cost Thirty pounds sterling.
.
 Charlie Stone
 *******************************************************************
  											 
      My next trick is impossible;  Therefore I shan't attempt it.  
  											 
     C.Stone.    							 
     Perth, Australia.						      	
 *******************************************************************