Subject: General Metalworking Questions

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hollasch)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1992 20:38:18 GMT

I'm new to metalworking, and haven't done much beyond very crude forging,
soldering, spring-making and cutting/drilling.  However, I've been very
interested in the craft (in many crafts, actually, including woodworking)
and have some questions for the new group.

    I've been hearing here about water, brine and oil quenching.  What are
the differences?

    I've done bondo work and find that it often suffers from many of the
symptoms listed in prior articles.  Can someone post an abbreviated summary
of body solder and how it is applied/worked?

    What simple ways are available to get a heat source hot enough to get most
metals cherry red?  To melt metals?

    What books do you recommend to read regarding metal working?  I'm
interested in history, smithing, composition and other information as well as
modern metalworking techniques.

______________________________________________________________________________
Steve Hollasch                                   Kubota Pacific Computer, Inc.
[email-masked]                                 Santa Clara, California