Subject: Stuck motors

From: [email-masked] (Donald Bowen)
Date: 24 Dec 92 19:11:17 GMT

On the subject parts, I would like to hear ideas abut freeing stuck
motors.  In this case you do not want to destroy anything.  Pistons can
sometimes be modified from another application but castings are a different
story.  On loder engines the block, pistons, and rings are all iron.  The
intake or exhaust is left open and one valve lets water into a cylinder.

	I have several methods that work some of the time.  The first step
is to fill the cylinder with diesel oil and let it soak.  Next replace the
sark plug with one that has a zerk and apply pressure.  The next step the
head is removed and the piston is convinced with a block of wood and a hammer.
The last step is to use a press.  If none of these work then time to try
something else.  I have drilled out the piston but that is extreme.

	On a 1927 IHC 10-30 we could not get free we tried everything to
avoid pulling the head.  We could look into the crancase and see the bottom
of the bores was clean.  A look through the spark plug holes showed the
top of the bores to look good except for one.  It did not look bad but it
was worse than the others.  When we pulled the head, we found a piece of
the block had broken and wedged between the bore and piston.  

	I am looking for new methods.  The next one to tackle is a 1905
hit and miss.  It looks like it may be a challange.

	DonB