Subject: Stained Glass

From: [email-masked] (Daniel S OConnell)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 01:40:53 GMT

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a book (or periodical
for that matter) on making stained glass.

I've checked in a few art stores and a few `mainstream' bookstores
but have been unable to find anything or anyone who knows anything
about this.

I'm interesting in making some stained glass and don't really 
know anything. I understand there is some place where one can
`do' stained glass in the Chicago suburbs, but that's about
it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel O'Connell
<[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Robbin Evans)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 14:54:04 GMT

> `do' stained glass in the Chicago suburbs, but that's about

Daniel,

I don't think an art store or even a good bookstore is going to
have the information that you need, and my public libraries didn't
help much either.  My first suggestion is that you look in your
phone book -- under Glass - Stained and Leaded -- to see if there
is a stained glass supply shop somewhere in your area.  I'd be
amazed if you couldn't find a supply shop or at least someone who
makes stained glass pieces who could tell you where to find more 
information locally, even if they can't sell you supplies.  If you
can find a shop then you can go in and see the different materials,
find out about classes, get someone to recommend a good introductory
book.

If you can't find anywhere near you to help, then I suggest your write
to Whittemore-Durgin and ask for their catalog.  The address is:

Whittemore-Durgin Glass Company
825-D Market St
Rockland, MA  02370

They are a large distributor (who happen to be located in my area) who
have all kinds of supplies.  The catalog itself is amusing to read, and
they carry different kinds of introductory materials -- kits involving
no glass cutting, easy kits, and introductory books.  I think they carry
a book called "An Introduction to Stained Glass" or something like that,
which is old but gives a pretty good introduction.  Personally, I 
recommend taking a class if you can, but if you can't, you can probably
find things to get yourself started here.

I will also tell you that materials for stained glass work are not 
inexpensive.  You will need a cutter, a couple of types of pliers, and
a soldering iron as your basic tools, as well as glass, solder, flux,
and copper foil or lead came to work with.  In addition, I find a glass
grinder is indispensible for getting a smooth edge to your glass.  If
you can find someone to let you use some of their tools just to see if 
you like what you're doing before you make an investment, it's useful

Good luck, and send me mail if you want more info (just don't expect an
answer until after 1/4/93).

/Robbin Evans
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Forbes)
Date: 25 Dec 92 00:07:59 GMT

Try a stained glass shop. We have two, even here in tiny little
Corvallis, Oregon. There are also mail order places that you
can get stuff from, but I don't have the names handy, since
everything I need is right down the street.
Mark G. Forbes | [email-masked]
Corvallis, OR  | 503 757 8416 work phone    | Hardware R & D

---

From: [email-masked] (John De Armond)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 04:49:41 GMT

>for that matter) on making stained glass.

My wife is a glass artist and I piddle with hot glass so maybe I can
help.  Stained glass books are normally found on the shelves of
stained glass shops.  Look in the Yellow Pages.  

The major magazines in the business are:

Glass Art
PO Box 1507
Broomfield, CO 80038  
(no phone listed)

Professional Stained Glass 
PO Box 69
Brewster, NY 10509 
914 279 7399

Glass Patterns Quarterly
PO Box 131 
Westport, KY  40077
502 222 5631

There are two glass art guilds, each at the other's throat.  Glass Art
and Professional Stained Glass represent one each.  Lots of time is spent
calling the other one names.  Still good mags, though PSG seems
to have been wounded by the battles of late.  Glass Patterns has (IMWHO)
the best patterns of any pub.

I suggest, no, strongly suggest you call around your local stained glass
stores and find out which of them conduct lessons and sign up.  You will
save yourself months of work trying to learn all the tricks.  Beware
of the classes that try to force you to buy a whole toolkit up front.
Much of what you buy you'll never use.  About all you really need to 
get started is a good glass cutter, a pair of grousing pliars, a came
cutter, a came stretcher and a good soldering iron.  Buy the rest
as you need it.

Any specific questions we'll try to answer.

John
-- 
John De Armond, WD4OQC               |Interested in high performance mobility?  
Performance Engineering Magazine(TM) | Interested in high tech and computers? 
Marietta, Ga                         | Send ur snail-mail address to 
[email-masked]                        | [email-masked] for a free sample mag
Need Usenet public Access in Atlanta?  Write Me for info on Dixie.com.