Subject: Re: Need book on different metals

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Jones)
Date: 23 Dec 1992 16:10:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John Morton) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bill Webster) writes:
>
>For publications which take the slant of doing it at home, look for
>British books and pamphlets, e.g. MAP (Model & Allied Publications).
>
>John Morton					University of California
>[email-masked]			Mechanical Engineering
>{decvax,cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton		Machine Shop

I've heard of this place, and would like to get their catalog,
do you have their address.

Matthew Jones
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Jones)
Date: 23 Dec 1992 16:10:01 GMT

Matthew Jones
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Jones)
Date: 23 Dec 1992 16:10:01 GMT

Matthew Jones
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John Morton)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1992 18:43:14 GMT

>do you have their address.

MAP Publications are distributed by Argus Books Ltd., 14 St. James Rd.,
Watford, Herts., GB

A special favorite is _Foundrywork for the Amateur_, which describes
(among other things) how to build an iron-melting cupola furnace from
a 5 gal. can in your back yard.  They even tell you which beaches 
have the best moulding sand :-).

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Stone 4915162)
Date: 24 Dec 92 04:45:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bill Webster) writes:
>I'm looking for a book(s) that describe the different 
>metal characteristics.  I know there are lots of
>different types of aluminum, brass, copper, steel, etc.
>I'd like to find a book which lists the metal numbers,
>like T6062 (or whatever) and give a description of
>its attributes.

>I fly the gas powered model airplanes and make various
>parts for the motors.  But since I don't know what types
>of metal I should be using for example the piston,
>I simply buy an existing piston and modify it.  But
>I can't always get what I need this way.  Even if I
>do find out the metal type to use, where would I get
>some of the exotic materials?

Great !!  Someone interested in I/C engine building.  You might be able 
to find books like `Metals in the Service of Man' that talk about the
different metals in a general sort of way, but for specialist alloy codes
you would be better off with data sheets from the manufacturers.  That will
tell you about the composition of the alloys, but probably wont tell you
if the material is suited for the application that you have in mind, like
pistons for glow motors etc.  There is a specialist publication printed
in the US called `Strictly IC' and is all about home building of 
Internal Combustion engines.  I haven't seen a copy myself and cant 
quote an address.  Perhaps someone on the net can give details.

As for piston materials, generally if the engine has a steel liner, the
piston is made of cast iron.  If it is an alloy piston in a steel liner
(probably ringed) then something like Y alloy is used.  If it is AAC
or ABC there are special alloys made by the German company Mahle (SP?).
I have the alloy numbers at home for the Mahle alloys used for AAC and 
could post or Email it if needed.

There are other points to know here too like about bore tapers (to
use or not to use) and honing or lapping cylinders.

For conrods in Model aircraft engines use 2024 or 7075 (better). These 
alloy numbers are the standard code used by US aluminium manufacturers.

I would think that you might get a fairly fast response to your
questions by just posing them to the net as you have done here.

Are there any other builders/modifiers of model aircraft engines
out there?  Lets hear from you.

Charlie Stone.
(Control line nut and retired Glider pilot)
[email-masked]