Subject: Re: Question about this Newsgroup

From: [email-masked] (Jordan B Pollack)
Date: 31 Dec 92 21:49:18 GMT

rec.crafts.metalworking is less than one month old. A group called
trial.rec.metalworking has been around for a couple of years, with
very little traffic, obviously due to its strange name.  It took
several months to get the new name, as there was no name change
mechanism, only the formal stages of discussion and voting for a new
group, with mandatory waiting periods.

Our preference was for rec.metalworking, to be sister to
rec.woodworking, and one cantankerous machinist was so incensed at
having to accept "craft" in the middle, that he almost blew the whole
thing by flaming away at the internet oligarchs in news.groups.

Thanks go to Jim Kirk for handling the details.

-- 
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research
2036 Neil Ave                             Email: [email-masked]
Columbus, OH 43210                        Phone: (614)292-4890 (then * to fax)

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan E. Quist)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1992 22:24:55 GMT

>trial.rec.metalworking has been around for a couple of years, with

Funny, I was looking for this group years ago, and never, ever saw
trial.rec.metalworking...

>thing by flaming away at the internet oligarchs in news.groups.

That seems strange.  What's wrong with viewing onesself as a craftsman,
and one's skills as a craft?

>Thanks go to Jim Kirk for handling the details.

Why, did he set the Enterprise's phasers on stun, and blanket the
usenet with phaser fire?  :')
-- 
Jonathan E. Quist                              Lachman Technology, Incorporated
[email-masked]  '71 CL450-K4 "Gleep", DoD #094        Naperville, IL
 __       There's nothing quite like the pitter-patter of little feet,
 \/                   followed by the words "Daddy!  Yay!"