Subject: Re: Black anodizing aluminum

From: [email-masked] (Phil OKunewick)
Date: 23 Dec 92 22:49:16 GMT

[email-masked] (Larry Dwyer) writes:
>Are there any recommendations for black anodizing aluminum that
>can be done with reasonably safe chemicals and a process that
>can be carried out in a garage?  I am machining cannon for
>a model of the Constitution and I would rather not paint them.

   I've done this.  It's similar to cold-bluing a gun - not perfect,
but effective.  I believe I got the solution from Dixie Gun Works.

   A quick-and-dirty way to blacken metals is to color them with an
indelible black magic marker.  I've done this too; the coating looks
similar to anodizing.  It won't take wear and tear, but this shouldn't
be much of a concern on a model.  If you nick it a little on assembly,
touch-up is easy.  Just make sure the marker is fresh and juicy - an
old marker will wipe the ink away as fast as it applies it, leaving a
messy streaked coating.

   I don't know whether this ink is UV-stable or not.  It certainly
lasts a lot longer than Erasable black marker, which turns brown after
a few months.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rasmussen)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 04:52:07 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Larry Dwyer) writes:
> Thanks > Larry Dwyer > [email-masked]

Birchwood-Casey, makers of gun related chemical products (bluing,
browning, stains,cleaners, etc..), have a product called Aluminum-Black
which is a "..fast acting metal touch-up for anodized aluminum and
aluminum alloys. A good chemical finish that will not produce a dimensional
change. Requires no heat or special equipment." I haven't used it but
I have'nt been disappointed witha B-C product yet.
    
   -- good luck,  Steve Rasmussen

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
           internet:  laUNChpad.unc.edu or 152.2.22.80