Subject: Sealing maple laminated table top

From: [email-masked] (David Thompson)
Date: 31 Dec 92 02:15:00 GMT

try reading a bit in rec.woodworking, but if not:

	It is really difficult to seal wood completely from the effects of 
changes in humidity. Your best bet would be to seal the wood thoroughly with
some sort of oil (tung oil, linseed oil, Watco danish oil finish, etc). Follow
directions carefully, and apply several coats (until the wood will not absorb
any more oil) and let this stuff thoroughly dry (it polymerizes, and it can 
take 30 days or more from the final coat before the oil is fully polymerized).
You can sand between/during coats of oil if you like. After the oil is dry,
then you can varnish with a good marine spar varnish. Again, several coats is
best, sanding with 400-600 between coats. This is best done when the wood is 
dry to begin with (winter,summer - whenever it is drier).

	The main problem I can see with this is that the machine oil may 
dissolve the varnish. Make a test board finished in this manner and put some
machine oil on it. Let it sit for a few days and see what it does. 

	These are just suggestions, I don't recall ever having used this 
combination before (you might want to verify that the oil and varnish are 
compatible as well). When working with wood, you generally plan to account 
for expansion of the wood with changes in humidity. Oh, one other thing - 
ALL sides of the wood must be treated as above, or the moisture will have 
access to the wood.

					Good Luck - Dave.