Subject: Coolant fed milling adapters

From: [email-masked] (Leonard Dye)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1992 21:58:18 GMT

A few years back I got a couple of patents for machine tools that I invented.
What they are is a coolant-induced milling adapter. I had experience in using
coolant-induced drills and saw how much faster they run than conventional
coolant hoses. One day I thought why don't they have something for end-mills?
I thought of coolant passageways in the end-mill, but this would weaken the
cutter and we break them often enough, we don't need them weaken.

Then I came up with the idea of coolant passageways in the tool holder
itself. Back then milling machines didn't have thru the spindle coolant. The
coolant drills we used had the inducer or gland to transfer the coolant into
the rotating drill holder. I then did some layouts of my new design (on the
drawing board there were no CAD systems back then). I took a Carboloy tool
holder and drilled my coolant holes in it then plugged it in. I must say at
that time I was not impressed. A few months later we had a job in which
we were breaking alot of end-mills. The prototype was the same size as we
were using so I pluged it in and the thing worked like a champ. Just after
that I quit my job and went to a large job shop that had 50+ milling machines.

I immediately saw the need for such a tool. I did a patent search and there
was nothing like it, so I filed a patent application. During this time
machining centers started having thru the spindle coolant and my patent
did not cover this design so I filed for another patent. Me and a partner
had a small job shop of our own which we tried to earn capital so we could
produce the new product. This buisness just subsidized our incomes and did
nothing in getting the equipment to produce our product at a competitive
price. I have since left my partner and am on my own.

When I did my patent search it interesting that patents for coolant drills
dated as far back as the 1890's. I thought they were new but its just that
industry has recently regonized their advantages. With any coolant-induced
cutter its not only their added flushing capibilities that make them out
preform conventional coolant hoses but that since the coolant is in rotation
with the cutter the coolant stays in contact longer with the cutting
interface. This is important for the longevity of the cutter because
the need to lubricate the cutting interface is as important as keeping the
working area cool. When steam begins to arise this is what is determental
to the cutters edge. The steam is a gas and the coolant can not penetrate
the gases which ultimently cuts off any lubricating action at the cutting
interface.

I currently have my tools fabricated by a major tool holder manufacturer. I
have a buisness plan in which I seek investors for capital equipment and such.
Someday you will se advertisements in your favorite machine tool trade
magizine and say I heard of that on the net.

If any body would like more information how to increase the preformance of
your milling machines or try one of my coolant mill adapters out just
e-mail me I'll get back with you.

Leonard Dye
[email-masked]