Subject: EASY HOME DE-CHROMING

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rowell)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 19:26:16 GMT

I am looking for an easy way to remove industrial
type chroming on steel (chro-moly). If anyone has
a home recipe that is easy, inexpensive and safe
done with easily attainable equipment/chems I would
appreciate a response.

Thanks alot,

Mike Rowell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory J. Melden)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1993 14:53:11 GMT

> [email-masked]

Mike,
  I have two methods that you might find usefull.  The first
is anodic etching in a hydroxide soln.  Use about a 2 molar
solution of sodium hydroxide, attach the workpiece to the anode
(+), use steel cathode (or anything that won't dissolve--not
aluminum!) and a current desity of probably up to 100 amp/ft^2.
About 6 volts will be required.  Current will noticibly drop
once you're through the chrome.  Steel or nickel should not be
significantly etched, even after prolonged exposure.
  I'm not certain the second method works for chromium, but it
sure works for tungsten or molybdenum coatings.  Use full strength
hydrogen peroxide (3% from pharmacy).  Place workpiece in peroxide
and wait a long time (days-weeks).  Replenish when bubbling ceases
and etch is incomplete.  I think this works faster in a basic soln.
Again, the etch should leave the steel intact, but you may have some
rusting.
  Hope this helps.
  -greg

hydrogen peroxide (3% from pharmacy