Subject: I want to Have 3" Balls.

From: [email-masked] (Pat)
Date: 18 Jul 1993 22:11:31 -0400

Well,  with a little advice from all of you,  and a day or two of suffering in the heat,
I have  completed cutting my 1"  all-threads.  my sincerest thanks to those 
who gave me advice.   

Now,  let me tell you why,  a ordinarily sensible  man  would do
something like this.

Several years ago, i built a retaining wall,  around my property
line,  out of railroad ties.  It seems, the dead-men,  were not stronfg
enough for the clay soils of this area.  my mistake.

I am using these  Rods,  as additional dead men,  they are 6'
long  and  anchored at one end  with a  Large eye-bolt
and a piece of 1/2" rebar   to be embedded into concrete piers.

the other end,  has a 5x3  plate with a large bolt on it.  i'll
torque the bolts down after the concrete cures to  150 in-lbs.

now,  here is my question.  because the wall is  on the property
line,  I can't  leave large  threaded rods  sticking out to
threaten the neighbors children.  But i don't want to cut the
ALl threads,  off  flush to the  bolts,  either.  So i'd
Like to  cover the stub remnants with some sort of Ball,  or
bell,  or  hemi-sphere.   

Can anyone suggest a source for these,  or a  better idea?

thanks

pat
-- 

God put me on this Earth to accomplish certain things.  Right now,
I am so far behind, I will never die.

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Ayen)
Date: 19 Jul 1993 13:03:48 -0400

So you want some balls to cover up the protruding bar ends? How about a
trip to your local discount sports equpment place, and picking up x number
of whatever balls they have on sale. Just about anything hollow or
foam-filed will do--tennis balls, paddle ball balls, raquet ball balls,
etc. Cut a hole and fit on top. If the annoying rug-rats will be a
problem, glue them in place. When you need to get them off, rip off what
you can, then get out the old propane torch to get rid of the rest. We
used to do this in the Boy Sprouts all the time on the rifle range.
				--doug
________________________
[email-masked]					Work: 212 973-6759
Being mad keeps me from going insane.		Home: 914 225-1725

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 17:24:42 GMT

>>>>> On 18 Jul 1993 22:11:31 -0400, [email-masked] (Pat) said:

Pat> now,  here is my question.  because the wall is  on the property
Pat> line,  I can't  leave large  threaded rods  sticking out to
Pat> threaten the neighbors children.  But i don't want to cut the
Pat> ALl threads,  off  flush to the  bolts,  either.  So i'd
Pat> Like to  cover the stub remnants with some sort of Ball,  or
Pat> bell,  or  hemi-sphere.   

Pat> Can anyone suggest a source for these,  or a  better idea?

Tennis balls.  Just cut an "X" with a razor knife and slip them over.
If they are too soft, you could fill them with silicone caulking
compound just before putting them on.

I am somewhat startled at the title of this posting since I had
supposed that anyone who would be able to cut 40 1" bolts with a
hacksaw already had 3" balls.  B-}

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                      [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat)
Date: 19 Jul 1993 14:16:26 -0400

Let, me  try a poor drawing, because some people are having trouble
envisioning the  situation.

 	__________
	|	|
	|	|
	---------
	|	|
	|	|
	---------			==========
	|	|				  |
      <{-------------------------------------=@	  |
	|	|				  |
	---------				  |
	|	|				  |
	|	|		   Large concrete ball with Eye-bolt,
	---------		   Re-Bar,  and Rod Coupler,  serving as deadmas

	Railroad Tie Wall.

	^
	|
     property Line.

This drawing is not to scale, except where it shows the property line.
But i hope it clearly illustrates teh problem.   I like the idea,   of
buying  cheapo, foam rubber  balls,  or something similiar and
threading them on.  I believe that would be a adewquate solution
to preventing  impalement,  and not bankrupt me.  I can't put on
a additional layer on the wall,  i couldn't afford the materials,
and  it would be on my neighbors property.

pat
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat)
Date: 19 Jul 1993 21:09:46 -0400

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
|>>>>> On 18 Jul 1993 22:11:31 -0400, [email-masked] (Pat) said:
|
|Pat> Can anyone suggest a source for these,  or a  better idea?
|
|Tennis balls.  Just cut an "X" with a razor knife and slip them over.
|If they are too soft, you could fill them with silicone caulking
|compound just before putting them on.
|

I'll call some of the Tennis places.  But, caulk filling, will probably
drive the prices up  over that of Solid Balls.

|I am somewhat startled at the title of this posting since I had
>hacksaw already had 3" balls.  B-}

They fell off  from the sawing  :-)

--