Subject: Re: Looking for a book - "The Boy Mechanic"

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Clark)
Date: 20 Jul 93 01:10:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rich Feldman) writes:
>
>Those were the days.  Reminds me of when the Amateur Scientist column
>in Scientific American used to have good projects involving high 
>temperatures, voltages, and vacuums, sharp and powerful tools,
>dangerous chemicals, etc.   
>

I have the Amateur Scientist Book, a collection of the "best of" including
home-made: X-ray machine, cloud chamber, seismograph, wind tunnel, solid
motor rocket, etc.

I built several of the less dangerous projects in high school but drooled
over some of the 'neat' ones.  I still have the heart of a Hilsch Vortex 
Tube that takes compressed air and shoots cold air out one port and hot
air out the other... no moving parts or electricty!  Kind-of noisy but
I got a temperature differential of ~60 degrees F. 

I am sure it is out of print but some of the original articles can still
be found in Scientific Americans on file in the library.

Chris Clark
[email-masked]
-----------

---

From: [email-masked] (steve sheppard)
Date: 19 Jul 93 17:07:35 GMT

> I am looking for a copy of a book published perhaps 40-50 years ago.
> It is called "The Boy Mechanic".
> Is it still in print?  

This  (and  other fascinating reprints)  is currently  available  from
Lindsay Publications. They can be reached as follows (from  the Spring
'93 publication "Lindsay's Technical Books"):
    Lindsay Publications Inc.
    P.O. Box 538
    Bradley, IL 60915-0538
    PHONE: (815)935-5353
    FAX:   (815)935-5477

> dangerous chemicals, etc.   

Check out their  reprint  of  "Procedures in  Experimental Physics" by
John  Stong ("Incredible  Illustrations!  Classic  Text!  Wall-to-Wall
How-to!" and so on) .  *Good* book.

[I have no connection with Lindsay other than as a satisfied customer].
--
steve sheppard                             digital equipment corporation
[email-masked]
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
steve sheppard                             digital equipment corporation
[email-masked]