Subject: Handwheel saga: end of story

From: [email-masked] (Michael Covington)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 23:53:24 GMT

Thanks to all who sent me leads on where to get a metal handwheel for
my Sears table saw.  (The plastic one had broken and I would expect
another plastic one to break the same way.  The metal ones that Sears
sells don't fit this saw.)

Solution to problem:

(1) At a flea market in Kentucky yesterday I found, for $1, a very nice
cast aluminum wheel that can be drilled to suit my needs.
(Serendipity often strikes when the children insist on stopping to
walk around during a long ride in the car.)

(2) When I got home, I found Sears' warranty replacement waiting for
me, and IT HAS METAL IN THE MIDDLE where the old one was all plastic.
They *do* learn!  I shall now swap the two handwheels so that the
all-plastic one will break while still under warranty :)

(Is that dishonest?  I don't think so.  The two handwheels are supposed
to be the same; nothing wrong with swapping them...)

-- 
:-  Michael A. Covington, Associate Research Scientist        :    *****
:-  Artificial Intelligence Programs      [email-masked] :  *********
:-  The University of Georgia              phone 706 542-0358 :   *  *  *
:-  Athens, Georgia 30602-7415 U.S.A.     amateur radio N4TMI :  ** *** **  <><

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Culliton)
Date: 29 Jun 93 23:02:50 GMT

>sells don't fit this saw.)

We use metal grinding wheels at work on a table saw.  To make it fit,
we mill down the nut on the wheel to make it work.  It just needs to
be a bit more narrow than the one used on a 7" grinder...

TTFN

-Steven