Subject: Help... snapped off a stud!

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Whichello)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 02:15:37 GMT

Hi Netters

during some routine maintainence on the car over the weekend, I noticed
that one of the nuts that holds the exhaust manifold on was loose - 
then I found that the stud was broken off close to the cylinder head.

There was a thread in this newsgroup earlier
in the year dealing with removing a broken bolt: could anyone who kept
a summary of the advice given please e-mail me a copy. Thanks. Or any
information about how to remove broken studs from Aluminium cylinder heads!
I would like to avoid removing the head (and even the manifold) from the 
engine block.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Kirkpatrick)
Date: 27 Jun 93 22:10:37 MDT

> I would like to avoid removing the head (and even the manifold) from the 

I maintain an unofficial archive of the newsgroup, and have just updated
it to be current.  Anon ftp to outlaw.uwyo.edu and look in the "metal"
directory.  The file metal0 is some stuff from the old trial group,
and metal1 is everything from this group I have received (sorry, but
there were two recent outages due to software failure at our feed site;
anybody else been archiving?).

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (gary preckshot)
Date: 28 Jun 1993 19:32:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Adrian Whichello) wrote:

>........how to remove broken studs from Aluminium cylinder heads!

Getting a steel stud out of aluminum is difficult because of the relative
hardnesses of the two materials.  I seem to remember way back when I
removed some broken taps from aluminum by soaking the tap + aluminum object
in nitric acid.  The acid preferentially attacked steel.  If you try this,
I suggest you experiment first.

As for keeping the acid localized around the stud area, use Bondo to build
up a container.  You can knock it off later.

As I recall, it took a fair amount of time, but almost no effort, and the
aluminum was not damaged by cutters that went astray.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Walley)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 15:30:17 GMT

What is the IP address of outlaw.uwyo.edu?

Thanks,

Tom Walley

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Kirkpatrick)
Date: 30 Jun 93 13:23:55 MDT

> What is the IP address of outlaw.uwyo.edu?

EGAD!  Not using a name server?  129.72.1.2.

Jim