Subject: bronze casting

From: [email-masked] (kira)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1993 15:11:30 GMT

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with casting
bronzes from original sculptures.  I'd like to learn more
about the process, how to get started, etc., as I have 
experience in sculpting but know nothing about castings
or working metal.  I've heard it's often a good idea to
apprentice at a foundry and see how it's done?

Email appreciated...

-j.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 07:01:04 GMT

[email-masked] (kira) writes:
: 
: I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with casting
: bronzes from original sculptures.  I'd like to learn more
: about the process, how to get started, etc., as I have 
: experience in sculpting but know nothing about castings
: or working metal.  I've heard it's often a good idea to
: apprentice at a foundry and see how it's done?

If you cannot apprentice - which is likely, at least get
in a few observing sessions. Then practice on some easy
stuff- such as simple carved forms. Sand casting in bronze
is not easy. The difficulty goes up quite rapidly as the
size of the pattern increases.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob McConnell)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 16:22:19 GMT

A friend and I are making some target assemblies for our local Biathlon
Association (that's X-country skiing combined with .22 calibre target
shooting).

We are working with hardened steel plate (1/4"AR360) and would like to know if
anybody has any suggestions about painting/coating material like this to 
prevent rusting.  We are working with large areas, about 52" x 13" being the
largest, require white and black coloration (preferably flat but not absolutely
necessary), and it would have to be impact resistant.  We do not have access
to ovens and such ands so would prefer a cold process that can be easily set up 
in a small shop.

No flames about gun-control please, Biathlon is a legitimate Olympic sport
which has never has an injury arising from a firearm.

Thanks to anyone with a suggestion.

---
________________________________________________________________
Rob McConnell
Ubitrex Corporation                | Voice: 204-942-2992 ext 223
1900-155 Carlton St                | FAX:   204-942-3001
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3C 3H8 | Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (James W. Swonger)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 18:00:15 GMT

If you have some money to spend, you might check into those places that
do electrostatic powder painting that then is baked on. Really hard, but 
I don't know how resistant it is to impact or to bending of the substrate
(due to bullet dimples).

 Cheaper is a nice cold galv epoxy primer covered with epoxy paint of
appropriate color/gloss. If you make a couple of templates, it'd be only
a slight maintenance hassle to touch up occasionally, right? The primer I
like is by Dupli-Color, sells at Home Depot and dries really hard. Good
at suppressing rust too.
-- 
##########################################################################
#Irresponsible rantings of the author alone. Any resemblance to persons  #
#living or dead then yer bummin. May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may inten-#
#sify this effect. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Billy!#

---

From: [email-masked] (Roger Mitchell)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 21:01:32 GMT

The most common casting method used among sculptors is the lost wax method,
also known as investment casting. In this process a rubber mould is made from
the original wax and second waxes are made from the rubber mould. The second
waxes are then dipped in investment (a wet plaster like material) and allowed 
to dry and harden. After the investment is dry it is then baked in a kiln to
burn out all of the second wax, creating the mould. After burning off the wax,
the wax is then replaced by the desired molten metal and allowed to cool, 
after which the investment is then broken apart, revealing the final metal
object. All metals have been cast by this method and even jet engine turbine
blades are manufactured by this method with a high degree of precision.

				Roger Mitchell
				Master Mechanic and President
				Fort Collins Municipal Railway

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 23:30:52 GMT

[email-masked] (Roger Mitchell) writes:
: The most common casting method used among sculptors is the lost wax method,
: also known as investment casting. In this process a rubber mould is made from
: the original wax and second waxes are made from the rubber mould. The second
: waxes are then dipped in investment (a wet plaster like material) and allowed 
: to dry and harden. After the investment is dry it is then baked in a kiln to
: burn out all of the second wax, creating the mould. After burning off the wax,
: the wax is then replaced by the desired molten metal and allowed to cool, 
: after which the investment is then broken apart, revealing the final metal
: object. All metals have been cast by this method and even jet engine turbine
: blades are manufactured by this method with a high degree of precision.

You have the general idea.

The wax model is placed in a "cask", and the investment is poured
around it.

After the wax is burned out, the mold is heated to the desired casting
temperature, then the molten wax is poured into it.  After the metal
cools enough to solidify, the whole thing is generally submerged in
water, causing the investment to break down. If the investment is allowed
to cool, it is a bitch to get free from the metal.

Bill