Subject: Re: Cutting Metal ALL-Thread Rods: SUGGESTION

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 17:10:33 GMT

>>>>> On 15 Jul 1993 21:53:16 -0400, [email-masked] (Pat) said:

Pat> I saw a Die grinder on sale at 40 dollars . it was an air tool,
Pat> and i think used screw on grinding wheels.  Hating to sound
Pat> stupid, how does a die grinder work?

Just like a high-speed drill.  Most of them have a collet instead of a
chuck and take fixed size tool shafts.  The air turns a rotor which
turns the tool head.

Pat>  I don't really want to buy air tools, asI don't have a
Pat> compressor, and it means i need to go to dana's or use a 100 ft
Pat> air hose to use it.

Yes, if you don't have a compressor, air tools don't make sense.  I
have a compressor, so I don't even think before mentioning air tools.
Tunnel vision!!!

Pat> There have been some comments about using grinding tools of sorts
Pat> to fix my problem, but i don't see how it will handle 40 cuts in
Pat> any sort of reasonable time.

I can cut through a 1/2" bolt in about 20 seconds with a die grinder
and cutoff wheel.  Since your other posting said you cut the 1" bolts
with a hacksaw, I would think a cutoff wheel would be a major
improvement in speed.  However, since you have already finished the
job, this is all academic.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                      [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen