Subject: Re: Anodizing Al

From: [email-masked] (ron ginger)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 12:50:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
|>Path: >
|>I confess, I know little about metals, and even less about anodizing
|>However, I've got a few things I've made from Al (I have no idea of alloy) that
|>are regularly exposed to saltwater mists, and understand that anodized Al is
|>more  corrosion resistant.  Is it possible to anodize at home?  I've got
|>access to a good variety of chemicals so that would'nt be a problem.  Is
|>this a relatively simple process or is it real dangerous?  I've got plenty of
|>lab experience, so if it isn't too difficult I would like to give it a try.
|>Mike MJE100g at oduvm
There have been several articles in some of the home shop magazines about
anodizing. Its not to hard to do. Basically you need a tank of mild acid, and
a power supply and lead electrode. You 'electroplate' the alum for a while,
then dip it into a colored dye, if you want a color, then wash the part in
hot water.

Obviously, Ive left out a few details, like the kind of acid and the current
density and time. I know STRICTLY IC magazine had a detailed article about
2 year s ago, and I think MODEL ENGINNERING has had several.

ron ginger