Subject: Re: Help with Metal Frame glasses

From: [email-masked] (Dana Dabiri)
Date: 3 Aug 1993 16:38:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (michael jensen) writes:
>[email-masked] (Tim Kirby) writes:
>
>     You will need to clean the two parts, use a file or sandpaper to 
>get a clean smooth surface. The two parts of the glasses will have to 
>be held in a fixed position before you start to silver solder them.  
>You can not hold the frames by hand, you will have your hands full 
>holding the propane torch and the silver solder. Coat the surfaces to 
>be soldered with flux and put a little on the silver solder. Heat the 
>metal frame at the point to be soldered untill it turns a dull red 
>color, this will not take long, 5 to 10 seconds, do not overheat you 
>will distort the frames to much. Put the tip of the silver solder on 
>the joint and let it wick in. 

i've learned from a crack welder that the whole part can be covered in
flux to prevent discoloration, and *gentle* heating. the excess flux can 
be simply washed off. i've done some stainless parts this way with beautiful
results. 

-steve.

---

From: [email-masked] (Boon Chye Lee)
Date: 4 Aug 1993 10:27:44 +1000

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.  I've come to the 
conclusion that taking my glasses to a jeweller or optometrist is the
most sensible route for someone who has never tried soldering before.

Cheers,

Boon Lee
Dept of Economics
University of Wollongong
NSW, Australia