Subject: How to cut the top off of a stainless keg?

From: [email-masked] (Phil Calvin)
Date: 9 Aug 1993 18:42:25 GMT

I would like to cut the top off a keg (formerly held beer) and use
it as a big boiling pot.  

I have been told that stainless will chew up saw blades like butter.

How should I remove the top?  Are there special saw blades?
Better to use a blowtorch?

Thanks for your help.
Phil
--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
           internet:  laUNChpad.unc.edu or 152.2.22.80

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 21:21:05 GMT

> Better to use a blowtorch?
Bring it to a metal working shop that has a plasma torch. The amount that it
would cost to have the job done shouldnt be to much. It leaves a clean edge and
sure beats taking the time to do it other ways(sawzall, die grinder w/3" disk,
gas powered cutter w/6" to 12" disk).                              BoB

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry London)
Date: 10 Aug 1993 03:34:32 GMT

>Better to use a blowtorch?
If there's any moisture inside the situation could become desperate in a
hurry.

Again, drill a starter hole then cut the top off with a carbide-tipped
Dremel burr bit. Should work fine though a bit slowly.

Are all metal beer kegs stainless steel, as opposed to aluminum.
I bought a nearly new keg for $20 and hoped to use on woodstove top
for preheating my domestic hot water supply.

[email-masked]