Subject: Cutting 28 gauge steel roofing

From: [email-masked] (Rich Gagnon)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1993 23:36:48 GMT

I will be installing light steel (29 gauge, I believe) sheets of roofing on my
new workshop shortly.  It is the Pro Panel II stuff that is corregated and
painted.  I was wondering if anyone has experience in cutting this material.  I
will have to make several 20ft long cuts which must be straight (along the flat
part of the sheet - not across the coragations).  Will a straight edge and a
linoleum knife work, or should I look into some sort of power shears.  (I do not 
want to have the typical distortion and roughness of hand snips.)

Also, does anyone have any idea where to look for an (old) blacksmiths anvil in
the Colorado area (I wouldn't want to ship it.)?  Is there anything to look for in
terms of quality?  I assume it would be hard to damage one, but anything there to
look for?  What would be a fair price?

Thanks in advance.

Rich 

-- 
	Rich Gagnon  		Internet:[email-masked]
	NCAR - RSG  			
	P.O Box 3000		Fax:	 303-497-2044
	Boulder, CO 80307-3000	Voice:	 303-497-2076

---

From: [email-masked] (ron ginger)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1993 12:06:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Rich Gagnon) writes:
|>I will be installing light steel (29 gauge, I believe) sheets of roofing on my
|>new workshop shortly.  It is the Pro Panel II stuff that is corregated and
|>painted.  I was wondering if anyone has experience in cutting this material.  I
|>will have to make several 20ft long cuts which must be straight (along the flat
|>part of the sheet - not across the coragations).  Will a straight edge and a
|>linoleum knife work, or should I look into some sort of power shears. 

I dont think you want to cut the stuff. In metal roofs Ive seen the sheets were 
overlapped along the long edge. A normal joint is overlapped maybe one or
two corrougations, but to avoid cutting the 20' length make more overlap. Maybe
even divide up the excess ammount, then spread it across several joints. 
Example- if you needed a sheet 6 corrougatiuons narrower, then add one extra
overlap to each of the previous six sheets.

ron ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (cantua)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1993 22:44:36 GMT

>From article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Rich Gagnon):

I helped my uncle install some corrugated iron on a shed on his farm. He
was cutting lengths of corrugated iron with the back of a hand wood saw.
It worked extremely well. He had two long peices of wood with a short
(1foot) peice nailed on top to hold them about 1" apart. He put the 
corrugated iron on top an using the back of the saw, with the teeth
griping on the cross wood, had a home made gullitine (sp?).(He marked
a straight line to follow and it worked best at the bottom of a
corrugation) It also worked for cutting across corrugations but was a
bit rough because it flattened the corrugations a bit.

			     |
	========================
			     |
	========================
			     |
				I think the cross piece was on the
				bottom. The cross piece rested on some
				tressles or boxes or something like that.

Pete
			     
--
Peter Glassenbury			Computer Science dept.
[email-masked]		University of Canterbury
					New Zealand