Subject: Materials for turbine disks/vanes

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Sep 93 09:42:02 PDT

Has anyone here built (or attempted) the engine described
in "Strahlturbine fur Flugmodelle im Selbstbau" ("Self-built 
Turbo-Jets for Model Aircraft") by Dipl.-Ing. Kurt Schreckling?
("fur" should have an umlaut over the "u".)

This book was reviewed by Leonard Woods in the Dec 92/Jan 93
issue of Strictly I.C. magazine.   Mr. Woods also provided an 
english translation of the construction details, but not the 
design philosophy.   Since I do not read German, I am limited
in my understanding of this engine.

I am puzzled by the choice of materials for the compressor
disks/vanes.   The specified material is 6mm birch or beech
aircraft plywood for the disks and 0.8mm for the vanes.   
The periphery is wound with carbon fiber to prevent the disk
from flying apart.

What would the implications be of using other materials?
The author did not hesitate to use stainless steel, high-
carbon steel and aluminum for other parts, so I assume that
he had a reason for choosing plywood for this highly-stressed
part.   Any ideas?

I am new to this group and would appreciate any pointers
to a FAQ, ftp site, etc.

--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)