Subject: SMART & BROWN Lathe - Help!

From: [email-masked] (Claude Lewis)
Date: 26 Sep 93 01:31:34 GMT

Hi:

I have recently acquired the following lathe:

                      SMART & BROWN
                         LONDON

which I am in the process of restoring to full use.   The only other
marking I have found (it's loaded with multiple coats of paint and dirt)
is "L4 1243 K" on the inner side (the side which mates with the headstock)
of the gear case.

This lathe has 8 in. (dia.) swing and approximately 18 in. center-to-center.
It has flat ways (British), anthe saddle has a cross-slide (of course) 
but no top slide (to make angle cuts).   It is flat-belt-driven by a
1/2 hp electric motor (original?) inside the base.   It is a massive 
machine, mounted on a heavy cast-iron base.

Unfortunately, the tailstock and some of the gears are missing.

I understand from a British friend that this type of lathe was known as
a "second-cut" lathe, used in production.   It is less sophisticated than
a "toolroom" lathe, but relatively stiffer and stronger.

Foremost, I am seeking a tailstock for this machine and, if possible a
gear set (for cutting threads).   I would also like to obtain a copy
of the owner's manual (of course, I am prepared to pay copying costs).
In addition, I would information on the color scheme originally used
on it, and any other available information that could assist me in
restoring it to original state.

Please e-mail me if you can be of any assistance.

Thank you.

Claude Lewis
--