Subject: Niello formula?

From: [email-masked] (boris)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 17:55:00 +0000

**Hi all
**I am looking for the accurate formula for niello, now i know it has
        copper
        lead
        silver
        and sulphur in the mixture but i dont know the percentages
  this is for a black finish by the way

  i also need the formula for BLUE niello ,i dont have any info on the
  composition or percentages
  anyone help on this????

-- 

        +=========================================
        + /o o\    }  My chest size 38 .        {
        +   v      }  [email-masked] {
        +  """     }  of LONDON ,ENGLAND        {
        +=="""====================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Menya Wolfe)
Date: 12 Oct 1993 00:26:36 -0400

Boris,

I'm not sure what you're intending to do with the niello.  If you're
looking for historical sources, please contact me.  Here are some
formulas from _The Complete Metalsmith_ by Tim McCreight:

Heinrich	Silver or sterling	1 oz.
		Copper			2 
		Lead			3 
		Sulfur			6 

Augsberg #1	Silver			1
		Copper			1
		Lead			2
		Sulfur			8

Ruklin #2	Silver 			1
		Copper			2
		Lead			4
		Sulfur			5

Persian		Silver			1
		Copper			2.5
		Lead			7
		Sulfur		       25 (?)
		Ammonium Chloride	2.5

The Persian recipe may be the blue you're looking for.  There has been
a niello thread on rec.org.sca in the last few days, but unfortunately
I haven't saved it.

Menya

---

From: [email-masked] (Neil R. Marsh)
Date: 11 Oct 93 16:53:24 GMT

>   this is for a black finish by the way

I've wanted to try niello and never got around to it.  Tim McCreight 
gives several recipes including:

        Fike            6 oz silver     2 oz lead
                        2 oz copper     6 ox sulphur

        Heinrich        1 oz silver     3 oz lead
                        2 oz copper     8 oz sulphur

See McCreight's "The Complete Metalsmith - An Illustrated Handbook" 
First edition 1982, revised 1991.  (Get both if you can.)
Davis Publications, Worchester, Massachusetts USA.  

The late Herbert Maryon devotes a chapter of "Metalwork & Enamelling" to
niello as well.  (Fifth revised edition 1971 from Dover Publications,
New York.  Fourth edition 1959, Chapman & Hall Ltd., London.)

>   composition or percentages

Now that I've not heard of; let me know if you find anything.

Cheers!
Neil

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Marsh  [email-masked] -or- [email-masked]  Chehalis, WA USA
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Marsh  [email-masked] -or- [email-masked]  Chehalis, WA USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Simmons)
Date: 12 Oct 1993 18:08:08 GMT

What is Niello used to coat? 

   Is it like blueing on a gun?

---

From: [email-masked] (boris)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 18:15:30 +0000

>  composition or percentages

*Thanks for the great response on niello...
*the reason i need the recipe is that i am decorating some silverware and have
*no information, the blue finish i asked about was because i saw in a design
*museum in london a Russian silver plaque made in the last century which had
*a soft blue decoration ,i would describe it as ,spectrum blue ,and i have not
*seen this colour niello anywhere else, is it possible that other colours are
*possible to  make by changing the colouring ingredient??
*thanks all.

--