Subject: Thoriated tungstun

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Henry)
Date: 14 Oct 93 21:19:46 GMT

I understand that thoriated tungsten electrodes commonly used in TIG
welding are radioactive.  I am particularly concerned about the dust
generated when grinding electrode tips.  I have since swithched to using
ceriated tungsten electrodes which are non-radioactive (zirconiated
tungsten is also non-radioactive).  However they are very expensive.  (Note
that I like the welding behavior of these new electrodes better, though.)

Does anyone know if there is a substaintial health risk to using thoriated
tungsten electrodes?

Thanks

Metal Meister

---

From: [email-masked] (John De Armond)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 93 21:22:49 GMT

>Does anyone know if there is a substaintial health risk to using thoriated

There is NO health risk from thoriated tungsten.  The amount of thorium
is tiny - normally barely detectable with a common survey instrument.
If this quantity of thorium worries you, then for God sake, don't ever
build a wood or charcoal fire.  There is vastly more thorium in the ashes
than in an electrode.  Don't ever cut or break a common brick either.
Lots of uranium and thorium in bricks.  If you'd like proof, consult the 
Health-Physics Journal from the mid 80s for an article on the subject 
by Stu Farber.

John

-- 
John De Armond, WD4OQC                   | For a free sample magazine, send
Performance Engineering Magazine(TM)     | a digest-size 52 cent SASE 
Marietta, Ga     "Hotrods'n'computers"   | (Domestic) to PO Box 669728
[email-masked]    "What could be better?" | Marietta, GA 30066
Email to me may be published at my sole discretion.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Moroney)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 02:23:13 GMT

>Does anyone know if there is a substaintial health risk to using thoriated

Couple of things:

1) Thorium is radioactive, yes, but only slightly so.  It is more hazardous
   due to chemical toxicity than due to its radioactivity.
2) Not much thorium in those things;
3) Throrium is rather common, granite has a fair amount of it.  Beware of
   rocks!  (And Coleman lantern mantles, 90%+ thorium oxide once the
   silk etc. is burned off)
4) If it's "radioactivity" that scares you, well your own body is full of
   potassium-40 and carbon-14 and others.

-Mike