Subject: Re: Reheading a stripped head

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Aug 93 08:13:02 -0400

> My first thought is to drill and tap a hole in the end and screw in an
> Allen screw. This would be adequate for tightening but would tend to
> unscrew when turning anticlockwise. What's the best screw locking compound
> on the market? 
> Any other suggestions for locking or re-heading?

Use Loctite (or Permatex) red studlocker.  The last thing you will have to
worry about with this stuff is the set screw coming out.

Better make sure that stud is heat-treated though.

ELN

---

From: [email-masked] (Alastair Young)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 23:41:08 GMT

I have a problem with the front brake adjuster on my old bike. The adjuster
is a half inch diameter (or maybe 7/16) threaded (very fine, probably 26
tpi CEI thread :-) object with a hardened cone on the inner end which
operates the expansion mechanism which adjusts the brakes. The outer end
used to have a 1/2" square drive with screwdriver slots in it. The adjuster
threads into the alloy brakeplate from the inside. Needless to say the head
on the adjuster has become well rounded, and the screwdriver slots are
useless. After a couple of hours with the medium persuader and the impact
driver I have given up trying to remove the thing, so I'd like to try and
re-head it in place.

                            _____
                           |     |
                           |     | <- rounded head
                           |     |
                -----------N     N-------------
                           N     N
                           N     N      alloy
                           N     N
                -----------N     N--------------
                        ___N_____N___
                       \             /
                        \           /
                         \         /   <- hardened cone
                          \       /
                           \     /
                            \   /
                             \_/
Alastair Young                       _       Email: [email-masked]
Cadence Design Systems             )/___     _           
555 River Oaks Parkway           __/(___)####/c   Wanted: 7.5:1 >= +030"   
San Jose, CA 95134              / /\\|| \ /  \             piston for NH
Phone: (408) 428-5278           \__/ ----'\__/          or any adaptable
Fax:   (408) 894-3487           1956 Ariel NH          lumpy 73mm piston

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Aug 93 08:13:02 -0400

ELN