Subject: Melting Aluminum and brass

From: Dave Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 14:46:42 GMT

I've heard that is possible to melt your own metals for small castings
(in this case golf putter heads). I have some scrap brass (old faucets)
and aluminum (pistons or pop cans). Someone said that you use charcoal
and forced air. I was planning on investment casting that has been
discussed recently.

Has anyone tried this? 
Is there an easy/cheap way to try it out? 
What do you use for a crucible? 
Are these scraps suitable  (is there something I should know that I
don't)?

Any source of information would be appreciated. 

Thanks:
Dave
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Keyes)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 17:03:05 GMT

I don't know much about your choice of metals, impurities in the original 
material may give you problems.  I do have a better suggestion for a heat 
source however.

I am a blacksmith specializing in knives and edged tools. I've been using a
propane furnace for about three years with good results.  A melting furnace of
a similar design would do the job quite well.  I get 2500 to 2800 F without
any problems out of mine.  As for a crucible, cast iron is the material of 
choice.  I see these all of the time in junk stores.  A foundry supply would
be the place to look for new ones.

If you would like some tips on propane furnaces, email me at:
[email-masked]

Geoff Keyes

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Cohen)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 14:07:57 GMT

> [email-masked]

I do this all the time.  I have a furnace made of KO Wool and fire brick,
my heat source is from a large propain tank.  I use a professionaly made
crucible that I got from somewhere in georga.  The air is forced by a
squirrle cage fan, but I used to use an old hair-dryer untill I steped on
it.  The Faucets should work ok, the soda cans will just burn.  You need
thicker aluminum than that.  Try you'r local junk yard.  I have an old door
from a hospital or something that I cut up and use on a regular basis.  

I've smithed the crucible tongs (its a #16 crucible .. in other words small
... #16 means that it safely holds 16 lbs of liquid aluminum.  It's made of
carbide) and I'd recommend aluminum over brass any day.  You just have less
trouble with impurities.  

As soon as I get my arc-welder back on line I'm going to build a Cupala
(sp?) I've just gotten some high sulpher coal to smelt the iron.  :-)

-GReg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]+Infinite Illusions:1-800-54-TORCH for a Catalog+
+Gregory R. Cohen        +Juggling Supplies : FAX 904-668-5825           +
[email-masked] +or FTP:pc56.esp.fsu.edu pub/catalog/gif_catalog+

---

From: [email-masked] (John De Armond)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 05:02:40 GMT

>Are these scraps suitable  (is there something I should know that I

I picked up a wonderful little book called "Casting Aluminum" by C.W. Ammen.
Put out by TAB books.  ISBN 0-8306-1910-0.  Get this book.  It tells you
everything you need to know about casting aluminum including building 
your furnace and crucibles and molds.  He also has a companion book
on Brass/Bronze.

>From what he says, I doubt charcoal would be practical.  He recommends 
smelter coke, natural gas or oil.  He shows how to built several suitable
gas burners and furnaces.

I have melted aluminum, a couple of pounds at a time, in our glass/ceramic
kiln.  Works well but is slower than a true metal furnace.  I made the 
crucible out of Lizella Clay (red pottery clay) but an iron pot should
work well, something like a Dutch Oven or something. I had the clay but
no iron pot.

I doubt pistons would work very well.  Too much silicon.  Aluminum blocks
and heads DO work well.  A source of green sand and refractories is
A.P. Green, a national distributor that has offices in most major cities.

John

-- 
John De Armond, WD4OQC                   | For a free sample magazine, send
Performance Engineering Magazine(TM)     | a digest-size 52 cent SASE 
Marietta, Ga     "Hotrods'n'computers"   | (Domestic) to PO Box 669728
[email-masked]    "What could be better?" | Marietta, GA 30066

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 18:36:29 GMT

[email-masked] (John De Armond) writes:
: 
: I picked up a wonderful little book called "Casting Aluminum" by C.W. Ammen.
: Put out by TAB books.  ISBN 0-8306-1910-0.  Get this book.  It tells you
: everything you need to know about casting aluminum including building 
: your furnace and crucibles and molds.  He also has a companion book
: on Brass/Bronze.
: 
: From what he says, I doubt charcoal would be practical.  He recommends 
: smelter coke, natural gas or oil.  He shows how to built several suitable
: gas burners and furnaces.

Charcoal works for brass and bronze, it should work for aluminum. I agree
that coke, or natural gas, would be better.

Bill