Subject: Successful burnout

From: [email-masked] (M B Wehr (Bruce))
Date: 22 Oct 1993 13:16:29 GMT

(Well, some would say I was a successful burnout :-)

Anyway, I was successful (finally!)  with my $20 hot plate.  I had to
discard the bottom plate and get rid of the pilot light and all
extraneous wire.  I simply wired the AC line directly to the element -
when it's plugged in, it's on!  I then lined the metal pan under the
element with foil.  I set it up (by its edges) on two bricks when I use
it - this, along with having no bottom plate, allows cool air to get to
the AC wires and keep them from melting (like they did before); the foil
lined pan helps stop losing heat through the bottom.

I think this setup will last.  So, I guess old fashioned hot plates
aren't really necessary - just get a new one a thoroughly trash it!

--
             \       Bruce Wehr ([email-masked])      /            
*--------------\   Ford Motor Company - Electronics Division   /--------------*
 \ Electronics Technical Center - Powertrain Electronic Controls Engineering /
   *-- 17000 Rotunda Drive, Room B360, Dearborn, MI  48121 (313)248-5530 --*

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Oct 93 12:06:37 -0500

> aren't really necessary - just get a new one a thoroughly trash it!

When I just starting casting, I used a similar rig - but used a pair
of flower pots (appx 3/4" of dead air between them when both are
telescoped and sitting upside-down). Increased the efficiency.  Then
I broke down and bought a burn-out oven.  Works better but not anywhere
near as exciting.

   Steve Bloom

---

From: [email-masked] (Randy E. Kuehntopp)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 22:03:13 GMT

Don't know if this will help:  I use a product called Kaowool (sp)for
forges and other high temp stuff.  The insulation is a blanket type material
used by pottery folks.  I got mine at a local pottery supply store.  The
wool is great for insulating but shouldn't be moved much after it is 
used at temp (gets somewhat brittle).  Use a mask when working with it..
the manufacture sayz that it 
will not cause cancer like asbestos will....but who wants to take a chance!