Subject: Info sought on Calliopes

From: [email-masked] (John Haskey)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 00:45:39 GMT

Hello all,

	This is one of those posts that is hard to direct to an appropriate
newsgroup.  Bear with me, please...

	I need information on Live Steam Calliopes.  I've done a search of
the University of California's online card-catalog and turned up a reference
to only one book.  I'm attempting to contact the publisher but was hoping 
that others on the net may be able to help.   I'd like to get information
on their history, construction, names of suppliers, etc.  Any info or pointers
would be greatly appreciated.

								---john.
p.s.  Would the Circus Museum in Baraboo, WI be of any help?

-- 
[email-masked] ---------- This post contains 100% personal opinion!
"...there are at least 9 Redwood Drives in Santa Cruz county, plus 5 Roads, 
4 Avenues, 3 Places, 3 Streets, 2 Terraces, 2 Ways, and 1 each of a Lane and
a Circle, all, presumably named for the Redwood Tree." -S.C. County Place Names

---

From: [email-masked] (Garth G. Groff)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 12:01:57 GMT

John:

Try going back to the university library and ask for a
subject search on OCLC (yes, they have it, or something
about like it).  This is a national/international book
catalog which almost every large library can access.
Subject searching has just been added.  You might also
ask them to help you locate the call numbers which go
with the Library of Congress subject headings.  They 
look on the Library of Congress shelflist (it is on
microfilm).  This hasn't been updated for several years,
but should list old titles by call number.  You may have
to poke and prod a bit to get this kind of help, since 
these tools are normally used by libraries for internal
purposes (mostly cataloging), but if you know which
things to ask for, they will probably help you.  Be
prepared to borrow your titles by inter-library loan.

Best wishes,

~S
--
Garth (Haridas) Groff
"Not yet famous author"
[email-masked]         Chant "Govinda Bohlo Hare"

---

From: [email-masked] (A. B. Bonds)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 16:01:51 GMT

You may wish to contact The Vestal Press, Ltd. (320 N. Jensen Rd, P.O. Box
97, Vestal, NY 13851-0097).  Tel 607-797-4872; FAX 607-797-4898.
They specialize in literature and recording on all kinds of mechanical
musical instruments, including calliopes.  Lots of stuff on carousels and
amusement parks.  And where else can you get a service manual on a Mills
Violino Virtuoso?
				A. B. Bonds

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Evan Perdicaro)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 04:05:09 GMT

>would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pointer for you.

Mostly for fun, just a few days back, I tried to make it to Vegas at an 
average speed of twice the posted limit.  Nearly did it.  For no good reason,
I sat down outside the casino across from Ceasars that used to be called
The Showboat.  They had a wonderful live steam caliope.  It had been completely
re-worked in a modern one-off custom to be driven off modern player-piano 
equipment.  The thing was a marvel of a mix of old and new technology.

Somebody at that casino spent a great deal of time and money, and must
have learned alot about caliopes.  It is my vague recollection that 
there was a name plate somewhere in there.  If you like caliopes, this
one is worth seeing.  Sounds great, too.

Send those flames to dev null, please.

---

From: [email-masked] (A. B. Bonds)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 17:03:50 GMT

>From Hemming's Motor News, Oct. '93, p. 8552:
CALLIOPES:  World's only maker of real brass whistle air calliopes, the
Tangley Calliophone, large selection of music rolls, style A and G, we also
make the Otto accordion one man band, a beautiful hardwood cabinet and
leaded glass music machine.  Miner Mfg. Co. Inc., 2208 220th St., 
Minerville Station, Donnellson, IA 52625, Ph: 319-837-6486, FAX:319-837-6689.

Enough?			A. B. Bonds

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Harper)
Date: 5 Oct 1993 13:27:37 GMT

John Haskey ([email-masked]) wrote:

:       I need information on Live Steam Calliopes.  I've done a search of
: the University of California's online card-catalog and turned up a reference
: to only one book.  I'm attempting to contact the publisher but was hoping
: that others on the net may be able to help.   I'd like to get information
: on their history, construction, names of suppliers, etc.  Any info or pointers
: would be greatly appreciated.

:                                                               ---john.

  I don't know if you are specifically interested in circus calliopes, but
another place to check is in connection with steamboats.  Many of the
passenger packet boats that plied the inland waterways (Mississippi/Ohio/
Missouri river system) had a steam calliope (as does the Delta Queen today).
Go the the library and ask for a directory of organizations (can't remember
any of the names right now) and look for a group called the "Sons and
Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen."  This organization also publishes the
_S & D Reflector_, which has a lot of information about steamboats, wrecks,
and people from that era of transportation.  You might be able to pick up some
leads from there.
                                             Bruce

Bruce Harper        [email-masked]
Institutional Research    Virginia Tech      Blacksburg, Virginia

---

From: [email-masked] (Wallace Venable)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 17:02:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Matthew Jones) writes:

>[snip]
>>to only one book.  
>[snip]

>What a great topic of discussion. 

>As I recalled there were 3 or 4 books on melvyl.ucop.edu, but it was pretty
>disappointing.

	The market for steam calliopes (and air calliopes as well) is quite 
small.  Most are "built" rather than designed by engineers, I think.  
Despite this, there are at least two calliope builders in the US, I 
believe, but I have forgotten their names.  One new steam calliope was built 
in the US last year for a pseudo-mississippi steamboat in Holland, and this 
instrument was played on a barge at "Tall Stacks '92" in Cincinnatti.
	Since we are talking about a very small industry, it is not 
suprising that there is little literature.  I have also been searching, but 
have not found much, other than a mimiographed book on air calliopes.

	WHAT INFORMATION DO YOU WANT/NEED?  Maybe we can answer questions 
without a literature review.  Or are you writing a term paper which requires 
a minimum of twenty references?
	
		-- a whistle blower (I finally invented my own)

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Jones)
Date: 7 Oct 1993 15:35:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (A. B. Bonds) writes:
[snip]
[snip]

>From the Power Model Supply Catalog (314)586-6466 1989 catalog (I believe there
is a newer one which I don't have). On page 109

Callopie Building Plans You can build a replica of the 43 note Tangley Callopie
32 pages $25

Matthew Jones
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Nigel M Burnett)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 00:08:07 GMT

Matthew Jones ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John Haskey) writes:
: [snip]
: >
: >	I need information on Live Steam Calliopes.  I've done a search of
: >the University of California's online card-catalog and turned up a reference
: >to only one book.  
: [snip]
: 

THe Town of Milton, Ontario has a wonderful Steam Fair yearly.  You
could try writing the chamber of commerce and see if they would
give you the name of the guy who shows up to play.  He was also
in Toronto once.  I think it was the Beaches Business Assoc,
416-694-5992   sorry - no address in the phone book

Hope this helps
Nigel

-- 
Nigel Burnett    		  | Love between a man and a woman can
78 Normandy Blvd.,                | be a beautiful thing - especially
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4L 3K3 | if you're between the right man and
				  | the right woman. - Woody Allen (?)
"[email-masked]" or try "uunet.ca!kink!kathunk!nigel"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 17:47:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Wallace Venable) writes:
> One new steam calliope was built 
I recently saw a steam calliope barge being pulled by a paddle wheeler on the
Ohio and Muskingum rivers in Marrieta, Ohio.  They have an annual paddle wheel
festival there in the fall.  You might be able to get some information from the 
Ohio River Museum there, or possibly from the Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's
Bureau.