Subject: Re: How do you braze heating wire?

From: [email-masked] (James W. Swonger)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 20:04:18 GMT

The typical resistance heater wire is NiCr (Nichrome trade name) and I've
never seen anything but crimp connections used. Brazed joints are not very
strong, approaching liquid even, at orange heat. I would recommend using a
bit of stainless or regular steel wire in a crimp arrangement. 

 I have fixed a few toasters using a bit of fine steel wire. The steel
stays black while the NiCr lights up; except for the small dead spot 
it's been going fine for years.
-- 
##########################################################################
#Irresponsible rantings of the author alone. Any resemblance to persons  #
#living or dead then yer bummin. May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may inten-#
#sify this effect. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Billy!#

---

From: [email-masked] (Soren LaForce)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 20:10:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bob Neidorff) writes...
> 
>I have this heating element.  The element has a fancy zigzag of
>resistance material.  It is a sheet which has been stamped, I believe.
>When it works, the material glows red hot and all's well.
> 
>With time, the heating element has fatigued at the terminations and
>broken.  I would like to braze those terminations down to the
>element.  Can this be done?  With what tool and what rod?

Don't think brazing will work.  

Try crimping or perhaps a spot welder.

--Soren            [email-masked]