Subject: "leadloy"

From: [email-masked] (Alden Hackmann)
Date: 20 Aug 1993 23:09:45 GMT

Several people have mentioned a steel that is an alloy (reputedly) which
includes sulphur and lead, and has good machinability.  I most recently
saw it referred to in the letters section of Home Shop Machinist.  

Can anyone tell me a) does it really have good machinability? and b) can
you tell me a mail-order source?  

Thank you!

Alden

---

From: [email-masked] (ron ginger)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 16:54:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Alden  Hackmann) writes:
|>Several people have mentioned a steel that is an alloy (reputedly) which
|>includes sulphur and lead, and has good machinability.  I most recently
|>saw it referred to in the letters section of Home Shop Machinist.  
|>
|>Can anyone tell me a) does it really have good machinability? and b) can
|>you tell me a mail-order source?  
|>

Leadloy is also known as 'screw machine stock'. Yes, it machines beautifully.
I buy it from Peterson Steel in Worcester MA, but I believe just about any
steel supplier handles some kind of screw machine stock.

ron ginger