Subject: Requesting info/help on making anti-roll bars

From: [email-masked] (Alexander Noordergraaf)
Date: 15 Oct 93 22:33:12 GMT

Howdy all,

	I am in the process of making anti-roll bars for my race car.  
I am asking this group for input on what the best type of metal to
use for the bars would be (mild-steel, cro-moly, etc), and what the
best way to bend it would be.  The car this is destined for is a Honda,
and there are a number of bends required in the bar so that it will fit.
I have oxy-acytelene (sp?) equipment, and would like to make the bars
myself. Any suggestions and pointers to informational books would be
helpful.

	Thanks in advance, Alex ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (James Foster x2912)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:06:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Alexander Noordergraaf) writes:
|> 
|> 	Howdy all,
|> 
|> 	I am in the process of making anti-roll bars for my race car.  
|> I am asking this group for input on what the best type of metal to
|> use for the bars would be (mild-steel, cro-moly, etc), and what the
|> best way to bend it would be.  The car this is destined for is a Honda,
|> and there are a number of bends required in the bar so that it will fit.
|> I have oxy-acytelene (sp?) equipment, and would like to make the bars
|> myself. Any suggestions and pointers to informational books would be
|> helpful.
|> 
|> 	Thanks in advance, Alex ([email-masked])
|> 

I saw a portable pipe bending tool that was being used by a guy, a welder
by trade, who did customizing work for drag racers.  Basically it was a
heavy duty square frame with a moderately large bottle type hydraulic
jack in the middle of the bottom member.  The top of the ram could accept
different shaped fittings, and there were different inserts for the top of
the frame that handled different diameters and bend radiuses.  It was commercially
made though I haven't a clue where you'd start looking for someone who
sold the thing.  Also it probably wouldn't be cost effective to purchase
for a one time deal.