Subject: Jig Bore for sale

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 8 Sep 93 14:44:05 GMT

Would anyone be interested in buying a Moore #2 Jig Bore in Southern Calif?  It
could go cheap.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 8 Sep 93 19:42:46 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: Would anyone be interested in buying a Moore #2 Jig Bore in Southern Calif?  It
: could go cheap.

A number of people have written to me and asked what a jig bore is, so I 
thought I would write it to the net for those of you who want to know but
don't want to ask.

A Jig Bore Machine is much like a milling machine except that it is designed
to be much more accurate within a smaller scale.  The table on this one is
only nine inches wide and twenty four inches long.  It's travel is incremented
in ten-thousanths of an inch instead of one-thousanths and the table does not
travel up and down on a knee as a milling machine does.  The table does not
travel up and down at all.  The head that supports the spindle does on dove type
ways.  The quill is stronger than most milling machines and the bearings are
higher class.  In short, it is a very accurate Mill.

Imagine drilling a hole pattern in a circle on something too large to put on
a rotary table.  You might trig out the X-Y co-ordinates and they might not
come out on even numbers.  Thus you would need a more accurate machine to 
position them.  Where did you put that Jig Bore?

There you are.  It is also good to have around if you do very accurate work.

Dave Parsons

---

From: [email-masked] (michael jensen)
Date: 9 Sep 1993 15:06:42 GMT

>Dave

Dear Dave:

Can you send me more specifics on this Jig Borer.  Who is selling it. 
How old, condition, how much, can it be shipped to Lincoln, NE or do 
you just want to sell it in Southern California. 

Thanks

Mike Jensen
--
Mike Jensen ([email-masked]) 
Chemistry Instrument Shop
University of Nebraska
(402)472-3542

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Niemi)
Date: 10 Sep 93 17:12:52 GMT

Paraphasing previous postings "....a jig bore is a very accurate mill...."

In a previous job, I encountered a frustrated tool maker who could not
hold tolerance on the jig bore we had just purchased (used).  The unit
had been "trammed(?)" (Hey, I am an absolute machining rookie who is
dumb enough to handle a spinning end mill) and was certified accurate.
This tool maker had never used a jig bore before.  I couldn't even
spell it.

After some time, we determined that the light oil he had carefully put
on the ways was floating the table enough to throw it out of kilter.
After wiping down the ways, he quickly obtained the tolerance he was
seeking (well down in the tenths).

Bob Niemi, Astronautics, Madison, WI   ..uwvax!astroatc!niemi

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 8 Sep 93 19:42:46 GMT

Dave Parsons

---

From: [email-masked] (michael jensen)
Date: 9 Sep 1993 15:06:42 GMT

Dear Dave:

Thanks

Mike Jensen

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Niemi)
Date: 10 Sep 93 17:12:52 GMT