Subject: shaft

From: [email-masked] (Adam Karpowicz)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 19:27:29 GMT

I wonder if someone could help me with this.  I have (almost) finished
making a bandsaw (don't laugh, I actually liked doing it) and a 1" shaft
for the bottom (15") wheel seems slightly small. I had it made in a
machine shop, put the bearings on it and found a little too much play for
vibration-free operation. There is no way to take the shaft back to the
shop for remake, I have to do something myself.  Would dense dimpling
with a punch help? Is there another way?

Thanks in advance

Adam Karpowicz   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1993 01:06:21 GMT

It is a simple matter to have the machinist throw a light knurl on the
shaft where the bearing races go. Your saw shouldnt put so much strain
on the bearings that this would not work.  Knurling to enlarge a shaft
for a pressed-on part is a standard operation.
___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740

---

From: [email-masked] (D.Diamond)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 05:40:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Adam Karpowicz) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Adam Karpowicz)
>Subject: shaft
>Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 19:27:29 GMT
>
"Dense dimpling" with a centre-punch would, I suspect (from experience), 
only be a band-aid job. Any unbalance will soon compress the high spots, and 
you will be back where you started.

Suggest you build the material diameter back up to slightly over-size, with 
silver-solder (or similar), then turn the diameter back to correct size. The 
race of the bearing, or the wheel, must be a "nice" fit onto the shaft.

Drew.

---

From: [email-masked] (michael jensen)
Date: 6 Sep 1993 02:29:53 GMT

>>with a punch help? Is there another way?
 
You might try to get the shaft knurled at the location where the 
bearing will rest. You can thing of knurling as a very dense dimpling 
pattern. The advantage to getting the shaft knurled will be that the 
indentation and raised area's on the shaft will be consistant around 
the diameter. You have to keep in mind, you are aiming for a light
press fit of the bearing on the shaft. If you measure the shaft and 
you find that it greater then .002 inches undersize, it is very 
problematic that the knurling will work in the long term. But, if it 
less then .002 then a light diamond knurl should work. Good luck on 
your bandsaw project.

Mike J. 

--
Mike Jensen ([email-masked]) 
Chemistry Instrument Shop
University of Nebraska
(402)472-3542

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Northway)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 93 08:03:11 +1300

[email-masked] (michael jensen) writes:

> >In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]

This should work but Hey you guys never heard of Locktite bearing fit.

The answer to an Engineers dreams :-)

     Peter Northway        | Disclaimer : This is just my opinion. Well more
  Wanganui New Zealand     | like a tiny ripple in the fabric of the universe.
[email-masked] | Well would you believe just another beer break.

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1993 01:06:21 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (michael jensen)
Date: 6 Sep 1993 02:29:53 GMT

Mike J.

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Northway)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 93 08:03:11 +1300