Subject: Estimating rigidity

From: [email-masked] (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: 22 Oct 93 16:41:34

For a furniture (dresser) project, I'm considering making a frame out
of metal tube (or rather, having it made).  The problem I have is
specifying the dimensions and materials for good rigidity.

In particular, I will have a several parallel horizontal pieces about
2' long and 8" apart attached to a vertical piece.  The horizontal
pieces have to support a load of about 20 lbs at their tips without
bending more than 1/8" or so when the drawers are open, and 20 lbs in
the center when the drawers are closed.  I would like to avoid
diagonal bracing at these joints (although I expect to use diagonal
bracing between the vertical column and the foot).

The plan is to use rectangular steel tube about 1/2" x 3" for each
component, and weld it all together.  How do I calculate how thick it
should be (if it will work at all)?  How accurately can I expect a
welding shop to do the work (will the horizontals really be
horizontal?) and how much should I expect to pay?  How do I find
someone to do the work?  Is "Welding" in the Yellow Pages the right
place to look?

E-mail please to [email-masked].

	-s