Subject: Cutting chrome plated tubing?

From: [email-masked] (Spencer W. Thomas)
Date: 5 Nov 93 10:16:57

I've got a couple of pieces of chrome-plated tubing (about 2 3/8" OD)
intended for use as table legs.  Unfortunately, they are a little too
long, and I need to cut about 5/8" off one end.  I talked to a machine
shop this morning, and they were skeptical about being able to do it
without damaging the chrome (peeling and/or discoloration). 

It appears that it was originally cut with a tubing cutter (slight
"negative flare" at the ends) before chrome plating.  

In place, the tubing will be almost completely visible, so I'd like to
do something that has the least chance of messing it up.

My metalworking experience is pretty nil, at least in this area (at
one time, I was programming 5-axis CNC machines, but this is a little
removed from that kind of thing.)  My shop is also pretty nil, being
aimed mostly towards wood working.

I have two ideas at this point: 

1. Find a tubing cutter that will handle this size tubing.  I haven't
called the hardware shops, but I don't figure this will be easy.

2. Build a clamping jig out of wood that just fits the tubing (so I
can hold it without scratching), and then cut it somehow, either by
hand with a hacksaw, or using a metal-cutting blade on my table saw.
Advice on type of blade would be appreciated (the base metal appears
to be steel).

Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Please
respond by e-mail.  If I get any good advice, I'll follow-up to the
group.

--
=Spencer W. Thomas 		|  Info Tech and Networking, B1911 CFOB, 0704
   "Genome Informatician"	|  Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
[email-masked]	|  313-764-8065, FAX 313-764-4133