Subject: Expanding Metal

From: [email-masked] (Norm Carpenter x3055)
Date: 19 Aug 1993 16:36:41 GMT

I have a project to work on,  but I don't know how to complete the process.

I start with cylinder and cut off two thin pieces about the size and shape
of a quarter.  Then I turn down one of the cylinders inside leaving a small
lip.  Now I want to expand the turned piece in such a way that it will fit
over the other unturned piece that I have.

How can I expand the turned piece?

                    +==============+  <- Expanded piece
                    |+============+|
                    ||            ||
                     +============+
                           ^
                           |------------ Solid Piece

Anyone know how to do this?

Norm

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 19 Aug 93 14:29:15 CDT

Norm Carpenter x3055 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I start with cylinder and cut off two thin pieces about the size and shape
: of a quarter.  Then I turn down one of the cylinders inside leaving a small
: lip.  Now I want to expand the turned piece in such a way that it will fit
: over the other unturned piece that I have.
: 
: How can I expand the turned piece?

Does "turn down one of the cylinders inside" mean you bored it out so the OD is
the same but the thickness is different?

What is the material? How thick are the walls?

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ----------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: I disclaim, therefore I am. Be warned ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 19 Aug 93 14:29:15 CDT

Tim