Subject: SMART & BROWN Lathe - Help!

From: [email-masked] (Claude Lewis)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1993 03:43:37 GMT

Hi:

I have recently acquired the following lathe:

                      SMART & BROWN
                         LONDON

which I am in the process of restoring to full use.   The data plate had
already long disappeared when I acquired the lathe.   The only other
marking I have found (the machine is loaded with multiple coats of paint
and dirt) is "L4 1243 K" on the inner side (the side that mates with the
headstock) of the gear case.

This lathe has 8 in (dia.) swing and approximately 18 in. between centers.
It has flat ways, and the saddle has a cross-slide (of course), but no 
top-slide (to make angle cuts).   It is flat-belt-driven by a 1/2 hp 
motor (original?) mounted inside the base.   It is a massive machine with
a very heavy cast-iron (3/4 in. thick) base.

I understand from a British friend that this type of lathe was known as
a "second-cut lathe", used in production.   It is less sophisticated than
a "toolroom lathe", but relatively stiffer and stronger.

Unfortunately, the tailstock and some of the gears are missing from this
lathe.   I would appreciate hearing from anybody who could help me in
locating these (essential) parts.

I would also likeain a copy of the Owner's Manual (of course, I am
prepared to pay copying costs).   In addition, I would appreciate
information on the color scheme originally used on this lathe, and any
other available information that could assist me in restoring it to
original state.

Please e-mail me if you can be of any assistance.

Thank you!

Claude Lewis
--