Subject: Wire Feed Welders

From: [email-masked] (Pat Campbell)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 18:17:43 GMT

Hi,

  I have been thinking about getting a wire feed welder, 
for home. I've used an arc welder before, made a wood stove. 
I have heard that a wire feed welder is more vertsable (sp),
and is easier to use on light gauge metals.  Is this true?

Anyway, whats your opinions, is a 110 volt 100 Amp Lincohn
wire feed welder ( $265 ) a useful tool for the home garage?
I will be welding my stove, 3/16 inch thick, auto body and
chassis parts.

Thanks in advance

Pat     [email-masked]

---

From: Jim Jaskie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 01:44:42 GMT

Subject: Wire Feed Welders
From: Pat Campbell, [email-masked]
In article <[email-masked]> Pat Campbell,
>I will be welding my stove, 3/16 inch thick, auto body and

Pat, I have a Lincoln Wire Feed Welder (110volt, 100Amp, though I paid
distincly more than $265 for it!) and absolutely love it.  I've built all
kinds of stuff with it including turing a 55 gal drum into a beautiful
bar-be-que.  I've welded 1/4" steel and maybe a little thicker.  It would
never do for a production welder, though I know a fellow with a small
business building dog carts that uses his that way.  But I weld for my
own pleasure and hence I weld for a minute, puzzle over why the part is
in the wrong place, grind for a minute, and then re-weld.  This lets the
machine cool off as the the duty cycle "clock" is set at only 20%.  I've
never tripped this "clock" (actually more of a thremostat) and had the
machine turn off on me, though my friend has.  It's much easier to weld
with than with a stick welder.  And much, much nicer for thin stuff. 
Since most of my stuff is made out of square 1" tubing with 0.065" wall
thickness, the wire welder just zips through this as easy as can be.  The
magic is in the electronics that maintains the constant voltage, as
opposed to a stick welder which is constant current (sort of).  The wire
feed and the constant voltage give the arc a natural self balance which
contrasts with an stick arc welder which is naturally unbalanced.

Recommended.  Get one and enjoy.

---

From: [email-masked] (Darren Young)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 23:45:00 +0600

JJ> business building dog carts that uses his that way.  But I weld fo
JJ> own pleasure and hence I weld for a minute, puzzle over why the pa
JJ> in the wrong place, grind for a minute, and then re-weld.  This le

Hehehehe!  Sounds like some of my projects. <grin>

Darren Young * Usenet Via InterNet
St.Cloud, MN * [email-masked]

 * RM 1.2 00623 *