Subject: What to use for an armature?

From: [email-masked] (Jacqueline Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1993 20:01:31 GMT

I am wanting to make a sculpture using "Polyform", one of those types
of clays you bake in your oven, but I need a very sturdy armature to
sculpt over (I'm sculpting a 1/12 scale horse and have troubles with 
the legs).

Can anyone suggest a good metal (or.. something else?) to use for an 
armature that will not bend when a little pressure is applied?  And
if it isnt an impossible task - something I could solder together with
a soldering iron if possible... I am reluctant to use a torch to braze
or weld anything (especially since I don't know how).

Thanks.

-j.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ty Monson)
Date: 9 Nov 93 00:47:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>armature that will not bend when a little pressure is applied?  And
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  You might consider "music wire", available at your local
  hobby shop. The steel is processed to exceptional
  strength. I think the wire will retain most of that strength
  through a soldering operation.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 9 Nov 1993 08:20:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, okunewck@pds16 (Phil OKunewick) writes:
|> [email-masked] (Ty Monson) writes:
|> >Jacqueline Hamilton <[email-masked]> wrote:
|> >>
|> >>I am wanting to make a sculpture using "Polyform", one of those types
|> >>of clays you bake in your oven, but I need a very sturdy armature to
|> >>sculpt over (I'm sculpting a 1/12 scale horse and have troubles with 
|> >>the legs).
|> >>
|> >>Can anyone suggest a good metal (or.. something else?) to use for an 
|> >>armature that will not bend when a little pressure is applied?  And
|> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Depend on what you mean by "little pressure".  If you just mean the
pushing and pulling involved in normal modelling, then I've found wire
coat hangers to be quite adequate.

-- 

David Jenkins

Did you know that "Virginia Bottomley" is an anagram of 
"I'm an evil Tory bigot"? (Steven Fry)