Subject: RE: Damascus

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 12 Aug 1993 12:35:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael New) writes:
|> 
|> Does anyone know of any references on how Damascus steel is made?
|> I'm interested in some serious technical information on the
|> physical chemistry/metallurgy of the process but any information
|> would be interesting.  Thanks in advance!
|> 				Michael New

  Several years ago a acquantance/friend gifted me with a book:

      _A_History_of_Metallography_:
      The development of ideas on the structure of metals before 1890
      by Cyril Stanley Smith
      1960 -- The University of Chicago
      Library of Congress Catalog Number: 60-7243

  The book covers (amongst other things) merovingian pattern-welded
blades, "true" damascus (aka. crystalian or dendritic), european
attempts to duplicate damascus, japanese swords, and moire metallique.
It also has some very helpful diagrams explaining some of the subtler
pattern formations.

  If you have further questions please email me <[email-masked]>

  EBo --