Subject: RE: Damascus

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 12 Aug 1993 12:35:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael New) writes:
|> 
|> Does anyone know of any references on how Damascus steel is made?
|> I'm interested in some serious technical information on the
|> physical chemistry/metallurgy of the process but any information
|> would be interesting.  Thanks in advance!
|> 				Michael New

  Several years ago a acquantance/friend gifted me with a book:

      _A_History_of_Metallography_:
      The development of ideas on the structure of metals before 1890
      by Cyril Stanley Smith
      1960 -- The University of Chicago
      Library of Congress Catalog Number: 60-7243

  The book covers (amongst other things) merovingian pattern-welded
blades, "true" damascus (aka. crystalian or dendritic), european
attempts to duplicate damascus, japanese swords, and moire metallique.
It also has some very helpful diagrams explaining some of the subtler
pattern formations.

  If you have further questions please email me <[email-masked]>

  EBo --

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Rebel)
Date: 12 Aug 1993 15:02:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael New) writes:
> 
> Does anyone know of any references on how Damascus steel is made?
> I'm interested in some serious technical information on the
> physical chemistry/metallurgy of the process but any information
> would be interesting.  Thanks in advance!
> 				Michael New

A friend and I make a serious effort to create pattern welded metal several
years ago.  We found the information in books to be less then compleat.

It took a long time but we did it.  If you are seriously interested in
pattern welding I can provide you with some pointers.

If it is not patern welding that you are interested in disregard.

Howard Rebel [email-masked]
FAX: 719-590-5701

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 12 Aug 1993 22:24:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Howard Rebel) writes:
|>
|> A friend and I make a serious effort to create pattern welded metal several
|> years ago.  We found the information in books to be less then compleat.
|> 
|> It took a long time but we did it.  If you are seriously interested in
|> pattern welding I can provide you with some pointers.
|> 

  I would too be interested in your pointers. One that I found useful
was practicing with different colored modeling clay...

  EBo --

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Rebel)
Date: 13 Aug 1993 00:03:01 GMT

I am am willing to answer question for a body who is in the process of
learing the art.  Any effort on my part to detail the process would
be a lost cause and take more time then I currently have.

Just to get you started you will need a forge, anvil, and real forge
(blacksmith) coal.

Any takers?

[email-masked] wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Howard Rebel) writes:
: |>
: |> A friend and I make a serious effort to create pattern welded metal several
: |> years ago.  We found the information in books to be less then compleat.
: |> 
: |> It took a long time but we did it.  If you are seriously interested in
: |> pattern welding I can provide you with some pointers.
: |> 

:   I would too be interested in your pointers. One that I found useful
: was practicing with different colored modeling clay...

:   EBo --

--

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 02:32:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Howard Rebel
 writes:
>
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
.columbia.edu (Michael New) writes:
>A friend and I make a serious effort to create pattern welded metal seve
al
>Howard Rebel [email-masked]

Today I received a catalog in the mail "DAMASCUS-USA".
It says on the cover "World leader in hand made forged-to-shape
Damascus Cutlery Steel.  More of our knives are in use world-wide
than anyone else's."
It looks like they sell mostly ready made Damascus knives but there is
a page where you can order Damascus Billets (Bar stock) in any size
or pattern.  
I think this is a one man operation Dr. Robert Charlton 919 482 4992.
If you give him a call maybe by chance he can inform you of great
books on the subject.
T

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Vance)
Date: 17 Aug 93 14:15:39 GMT

>  EBo --

Me too.  As an aside, there is a company supposed to be still making various
sorts of this kind of steel.  I don't know its name, but they started out
doing the wing frame pieces for WWII bombers.

--
[email-masked]                   (Bill Vance),             Bothell, WA
rwing!xpresso!bill   You listen when I xpresso, I listen When uuxpresso  :-)
A weapon in every hand:    Freedom on every side!

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Rebel)
Date: 12 Aug 1993 15:02:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 12 Aug 1993 22:24:42 GMT

EBo --

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Rebel)
Date: 13 Aug 1993 00:03:01 GMT

Any takers?

:   EBo --

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 02:32:58 GMT

al

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Vance)
Date: 17 Aug 93 14:15:39 GMT