Subject: Lathe origin question

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 09:40:18 CDT

I just purchased a used lathe without any documentation or owners
manual.  This lathe appears about 6-7 years old and is currently
sold by Hatbor Freight and just recently by Enco.  It is 7 x 10
and has a variable speed motor.  The overall quality is excellent
and just doesn't seem to be Chinese because of the quality.  Does
anyone have experience and or information on this unit?  Thanks.

Gordon Pari

---

From: [email-masked] (kay::fisher)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 05:17:41 GMT

>anyone have experience and or information on this unit?  Thanks.

I purchased one new from Harbor Freight recently.
They appear to change items on it over time but basically it
is still what they call #183.

If you call Harbor Freight customer service (800)444-3353
and tell them you have a #183 but no manual they will probably 
send you a copy.

Don't expect much - it is 10 pages long of which 5 pages
are the parts breakdown.  Don't expect much here either.
The copies aren't too clear - I have both original and copies.

My 3 jaw says made in Japan.

I have no idea where I could purchase a 4 jaw
that is "Made for" this lathe.  Sure there are
generic ones about - but surely there must be one
that exactly fits...

If you know of any please let me know.

If you get stuck for a manual send me your mailing
address and I can copy mine.

Bye          --+--
Kay R. Fisher  |
---------------O---------------
################################################################################

---

From: [email-masked] (Jordan B Pollack)
Date: 9 Sep 1993 13:55:39 -0400

I have one also! I cant find gordon pari's note or address, but maybe
we should start a little mailing list.

I got the full thing, with powerfeed and changegears, but very poorly
assembled used for $350 at a flea market two years ago. I subsequently
saw that HF wanted about $700 for it, and im not sure a new one is
worth it, since you can get a 8 by 18 lathe from grizzly for $900.
Enco just started selling them for $1000, so now might be a good time
to sell it and look for a southbend:) I also have the discontinued
enco "Mini Mill" which is like a sister machine, also with the 60
ticmarks for .0625 inch movement.  These toys are definitely made in
taiwan.

After many hours of work remounting the leadscrew and carriage,
centering the chuck, it works very well, much better than the
sherlines and unimats I've tried, since it weighs 80 lbs and can cut
steel.  After a hundred$ more in tooling, like a mt2 live
center, and lots of 3/8 cutters, a smithy cutoff tool, a simple
knurling tool, a tailchuck, some boring bars (which don't hold well
with the capscrews:), it is a fine and fun machine for the novice.  I
keep it clean and coated in way oil, esp the captured gear which tends
to grind.

I picked up a 5" 4 jaw flatback chuck for $85 and made one failed
attempt at mounting it. but It is such a pain to mount and center the
chuck with the 3 screws, that some other system needs to be invented
if chuck changing were to be an option. One option would be screw-on,
but even with careful twiddling of the three trimpots in the VSR
control, it is impossible to get the motor turning slow enough (e.g.
60rpm) with enough power left to cut any threads. You guys have any
luck with threads?

-- 
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research
2036 Neil Ave                             Email: [email-masked]
Columbus, OH 43210                        Phone: (614)292-4890 (then * to fax)

---

From: [email-masked] (kay::fisher)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 05:17:41 GMT

Bye          --+--
Kay R. Fisher  |

---

From: [email-masked] (Jordan B Pollack)
Date: 9 Sep 1993 13:55:39 -0400