Subject: Re: Niello formula?

From: [email-masked] (boris)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 17:56:28 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>>*Thanks for the great response on niello...

>>*museum in london a Russian silver plaque made in the last century which had
>>*a soft blue decoration ,i would describe it as ,spectrum blue ,and i have not
>>*seen this colour niello anywhere else, is it possible that other colours are

>Niello is not (as far as I know) used on surfaces, except as an inlay
>in grooves.  If the blue was covering a wide area, it was likely
>enamel, which can be made in virtually any colour.  Even a blue inlay
>might be enamel.

*The silver plaque in question was described as having blue niello,it didnt
*look like enamel ,but had the appearance of niello ,in addition the museum
*the Victoria and Albert ,wouldnt describe it innacurately as they are all
*expert in the fine arts . I have written to them for the formula so when i
*get a reply i will clarify the situation here.
*the silver plaque has the background to the design in low relief and the niello
*has been used to fill in with the silver as a highlight.
*thanks all

-- 

        +=========================================
        + /o o\    }  My chest size 38 .        {
        +   v      }  [email-masked] {
        +  """     }  of LONDON ,ENGLAND        {
        +=="""====================================