Subject: quick change tooling

From: [email-masked] (Steve Gaudio)
Date: 19 Sep 1993 03:54:10 GMT

howdy, 

i'm about to have my professor purchase a '63 2HP gorton matstermill
with a 30 national taper. I'd like to outfit the thing with quick change
tooling, because the riser block makes the drawbar routine more annoying
than usual. so far,  i've been able to find only these chuck type
milling holders, which at first glance seem a bit cheesey (ie, 1"
endmill for light cuts only) and poor bang-per-buck ratio. 

i submit two questions: (a) is there such a beast as an erickson quick
change tooling system for the 30 taper, and (b) if i were to dismantle
the spindle itself and cut threads into it to create a mutant
spindle/toolholder, how difficult would this be (not in terms of
machining per se (i have berkeley's mechanical engineering dept shop
machines and personnel here to help [greetings, john]) but in terms of
difficulty disassembling the head, etc. (would i need funky bearing
presses or wrenches?)

the type of work is research: everything goes (in 7075 :-)

thanks

-steve

New mail has arrived.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill W. Martin)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 19:22:29 GMT

{ much deleted }
>
>The best setup I've seen for the Gorton is a front-closing holder
>which takes acorn-shaped solid holders for the fractional sizes.
>The drive tangs are on the toolholders themselves, rather than
>on the spindle as with a MM taper.  There is one in the Bldg. 77
>shop at LBL, if you're into a field trip.
>
>
>John Morton					University of California
>[email-masked]			Mechanical Engineering
>{decvax,cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton		Machine Shop

	On the general topic of Gorton machines, does anyone have/know where 
to find tooling for the Gorton O-16 Mill? Its a small one, meant for doing 
engraving and small toolmaking. I have one of them, built in 1954, and still 
in really good condition. Too good to scrap it, but not many collets, etc., 
to go with it. Any help appreciated!!!

bill martin

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacquelin Aldridge)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 02:01:52 GMT

I went to Heath's Welding Supply in Dublin and asked for a New Earth
Tungsten Electrode (Gray). The young guy behind the counter said that they
cost $29.95 per electrode, the package read "$29.95/pkg". My teacher at Los
Positos said that the electrode would probably cost around $7 to $12
dollars. 

The guy sold me one electrode and a pair of gloves for a total of $45.00.
He didn't give me a reciept and said he wouldn't charge me tax. But when I
asked for a reciept he said he would have to charge me tax. I think he was
a sales clerk there, he seemed to young to be the owner or manager. About
22.

Anyway, having thought about it, I returned and got my money back. 

So, what's real here? Was he scamming me? I called Middleton Welding in
Hayward and asked him how much the exact same electrode would cost and he
said around $4.75. He said by the package they would be even cheaper, ten
for $42.00. 

My friend says the Heath's sales clerk is probably a thief, stealing from
the owner and that's why he didn't want to ring it up. And that he just
figured he could rip me at the same time. Anyone know anything about this?

The Catalyst :-)

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 06:59:18 GMT

[email-masked] (Jacquelin Aldridge) writes:
: I went to Heath's Welding Supply in Dublin and asked for a New Earth
: Tungsten Electrode (Gray). The young guy behind the counter said that they
: cost $29.95 per electrode, the package read "$29.95/pkg". My teacher at Los
: Positos said that the electrode would probably cost around $7 to $12
: dollars. 
: 
: The guy sold me one electrode and a pair of gloves for a total of $45.00.
: He didn't give me a reciept and said he wouldn't charge me tax. But when I
: asked for a reciept he said he would have to charge me tax. I think he was
: a sales clerk there, he seemed to young to be the owner or manager. About
: 22.
: 
: Anyway, having thought about it, I returned and got my money back. 
: 
: So, what's real here? Was he scamming me? I called Middleton Welding in
: Hayward and asked him how much the exact same electrode would cost and he
: said around $4.75. He said by the package they would be even cheaper, ten
: for $42.00. 
: 
: My friend says the Heath's sales clerk is probably a thief, stealing from
: the owner and that's why he didn't want to ring it up. And that he just
: figured he could rip me at the same time. Anyone know anything about this?

Yep, that is what it sounds like to me, also.  Could be wrong, but that
is the usual pattern.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Stoltzfus)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 19:38:13 GMT

>Yep, that is what it sounds like to me, also.  Could be wrong, but that

I'd call the manager at Heath's and tell what happened.