Subject: Jewelry newsgroup?

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Schwerdt)
Date: 13 Oct 1993 20:37:57 GMT

Although I enjoy reading this newsgroup, does anyone know of a newsgroup
more directly related to jewelry/precious metals work?  Thanks for your time
:)

-Pyro (Tom the Melaniephile)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (M B Wehr (Bruce))
Date: 19 Oct 1993 19:22:29 GMT

Thomas Schwerdt ([email-masked]) wrote:
> more directly related to jewelry/precious metals work?

  I'll second that request!

  Actually, I know there isn't any more appropriate group.  The *real*
  question is:  is there sufficient interest to get one going?

  (AAAAAHHHRRRGGG!!! - Shades of the Newsgroup Creation Daemon again!)

--
             \       Bruce Wehr ([email-masked])      /            
*--------------\   Ford Motor Company - Electronics Division   /--------------*
 \ Electronics Technical Center - Powertrain Electronic Controls Engineering /
   *-- 17000 Rotunda Drive, Room B360, Dearborn, MI  48121 (313)248-5530 --*

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: 19 Oct 93 23:57:42 GMT

Sender: 
Followup-To: 
Distribution: 
Keywords: 
Cc: 

In article <[email-masked]>,
M B Wehr (Bruce) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Although I enjoy reading this newsgroup, does anyone know of a newsgro
p
    
>*--------------\   Ford Motor Company - Electronics Division   /--------
-----*
> \ Electronics Technical Center - Powertrain Electronic Controls Enginee
ing /
>   *-- 17000 Rotunda Drive, Room B360, Dearborn, MI  48121 (313)248-5530
--*

I like the Jewelry newsgroup too 

Or maybe a newsgroup like rec.crafts.handmetalworking.  This would include
any metalworking that is done by hand as opposed to machine tool.  So it
would get the jewelers,  knifemakers, engravers ect...  

It might become a debate of where do you draw the line of what is hand
work (made)
and machine work (made) though.

Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Chojnowski)
Date: 20 Oct 1993 04:56:50 GMT

>would get the jewelers,  knifemakers, engravers ect...  

Aye! I was hoping that this newsgroup would be more for silversmithing.
I am certainly interested in creating such a newsgroup.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Foster x2912)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 18:48:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Brian Chojnowski) writes:
|> [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay) writes:
|> 
|> >Sender: 
|> >Followup-To: 
|> >Distribution: 
|> >Keywords: 
|> >Cc: 
|> 
|> >In article <[email-masked]>,
|> >M B Wehr (Bruce) <[email-masked]> wrote:
|> >>Thomas Schwerdt ([email-masked]) wrote:
|> >>> Although I enjoy reading this newsgroup, does anyone know of a newsgro
|> >p
|> >>> more directly related to jewelry/precious metals work?
|> >>
|> >>  I'll second that request!
|> >>
|> >>  Actually, I know there isn't any more appropriate group.  The *real*
|> >>  question is:  is there sufficient interest to get one going?
|> >>
|> >Or maybe a newsgroup like rec.crafts.handmetalworking.  This would include
|> >any metalworking that is done by hand as opposed to machine tool.  So it
|> >would get the jewelers,  knifemakers, engravers ect...  
|> 
|> 
|> Aye! I was hoping that this newsgroup would be more for silversmithing.
|> I am certainly interested in creating such a newsgroup.

Well, there isn't a whole lot of traffic on this group currently.  Why not
start some discussions here ahd see where they go?  The main possibility
I see for a spin off would be a rec.crafts.jewelry.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Malikoff)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 02:22:09 GMT

Thomas Schwerdt ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Although I enjoy reading this newsgroup, does anyone know of a newsgroup
: more directly related to jewelry/precious metals work?

Why not post jewelry techniques here in r.c.m? After all, it's still
metalworking. There's got to be something that we can all learn from
you and others. ...Just by creating another newsgroup doesn't necessarily
mean it's magically going to fill up with postings. I'm an amateur model
engineer, but I still read everything in this group. So, why not get the
ball rolling?  We don't bite.

Steve Malikoff.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Forbes)
Date: 21 Oct 93 17:54:49 GMT

Well, I'll get the ball rolling. Here's a little trick I tried last week at
my jewelry class, and it worked!

My wife's engagement ring is a 4-prong setting holding a 4mm sapphire. After
many years of wedded bliss, one of the prongs wore off and another was
paper-thin. The stone got loose. We thought the ring was probably history,
but I've just started a jewelry class and figured I try repairing it. 

Soldering replacement metal onto the prongs turns out to be a bad idea; too
difficult to get good adhesion and lay in enough metal. What did finally
work was to hollow out the inside of the setting, reshaping the prongs and
spreading them out. Effectively, it lowers the point where the stone is
set, forcing the pointy end down to the level of the band. A flex-shaft with
a dental burr on the end works dandy for this. I reshaped the prongs, cut
new notches and reset the stone. Looks great! I also beefed up the thickness
of the prong where it curves over the top of the stone, so it shouldn't wear
through for quite a while now. 

If you're interested in some sources of jewelry stuff (castings, wax patterns,
tools, stones, etc.), post in response and I'll list the catalogs and 
sources I've found so far.

Mark G. Forbes  |  [email-masked]  |  Hardware Engineer
Videx, Inc.     |  503-758-0521x144 work phone |  754-3104 home 
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be blamed on the engineer."

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 21 Oct 93 20:49:06 GMT

I recently purchased a Foredom. Now I can be happy as I
bury my little screamer Dremel tool in the back yard.
Why did I wait so long? (money?).
-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 17:44:00 GMT

>>>>> On Wed, 20 Oct 1993 18:48:32 GMT, [email-masked] (James Foster x2912) said:

James> Well, there isn't a whole lot of traffic on this group
James> currently.  Why not start some discussions here ahd see where
James> they go?  The main possibility I see for a spin off would be a
James> rec.crafts.jewelry.

Being both a jewelry maker and a metal worker, I feel that the two
disciplines go hand in hand.  I use many of the same skills for both.
I suggest that if you are interested in jewelry skills, post here.  If
the traffic gets so heavy that people start to complain that there is
too much of one to wade through cause they are just interested in the
other, then by all means lobby for a split.

I think all of us can benefit from knowledge common to both.  If there
is not enough jewelry related discussion here for you, then it is up
to you to ask questions to generate it.  There are a lot of us who are
not talking about jewelry because we do not happen to currently be
doing such a project, but have the skills, nonetheless.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                      [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen

---

From: [email-masked] (Semo (The Fetus))
Date: 22 Oct 93 05:07:00 GMT

I'd be interested.  I currently work 8:30 am to 5 pm at a small
jewelry studio (Crescent Moon Inc.) in my area.  I knew nothing about
working with jewelry before I started working (I got the job through my
ex-girlfriend) and am now quite impressed with the work I turn out.
Currently my older brother is working at a job I got him (at a nearby
supply house for jewellers [T.B. Hagstotz & Sons]).  I'd sure like to
start up a discussion.
        We work mainly in reticulated silver, we make earrings, pins,
bracelets, and bolos (bolos are rare, but extremely popular with
Galleries out in the Southwest).  We also work in brass, copper, bronze,
and do a variety of simple (but impressive) techniques.  The jewelry
itself looks very 'primitive', but I don't mean that in a bad sense (and
its a popular look, as we sell to a *variety* of galleries all over the
US [and in a few foreign countries]).
        It was kind of cool, though.  I started working there doing crap
jobs (like polishing, and stuff), and by the middle of the first day I
convinced my boss that I could work the computers, and its taken off
from there.  I'm now working full time back at the benches...

BUT, yes, I would like to start a jewelry discussion...

---

From: [email-masked] (Semo (The Fetus))
Date: 22 Oct 93 05:13:00 GMT

-> It might become a debate of where do you draw the line of what is
-> hand work (made)
-> and machine work (made) though.

No, there are certain standards.  Example:  To call a piece of jewelry
*handwrought* you can use no powertools.  Everything must be done by
hand (with the exception of using the torch).  To call something
*handmade* you can use powertools, but not very many (I'm not sure what
the exact criteria for this is)...
        However, I wouldn't mind seeing a rec.arts.silversmith
discussion (not to insult anybody, but for people who don't know:
silversmithing covers not only silver, but other metals that can be
formed without the application of heat.  Blacksmithing is the art of
shaping metals with heat [as far as I know])...

---

From: [email-masked] (M B Wehr (Bruce))
Date: 25 Oct 1993 13:51:37 GMT

> sources I've found so far.

  Consider my interest posted. Thanks.