Subject: Proposed Cutting Tool Museum in Greenfield, Mass

From: [email-masked] (Jay Stryker)
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1993 20:25:20

Hello r.c.m folk,
	There are currently some ideas floating about in Greenfield,
Massachusetts, on establishing a museum for cutting tools and the
various companies that made them.  Names such as J. Russell, Union Tool,
Mayhew, Millers Falls, Greenfield Tap and Die, Crowningshield, etc.,etc.,
all come to mind.  The western Mass area has museums such as the Starrett
Museum (Athol, Mass), the Springfield Armory (run by the National Park
Service), and the Precision Museum (Windsor, Vt.) and general interest
attractions such as Old Deerfield Village.  A bit farther east is the
Charles River Museum of Industry (Waltham, Mass) and the machinery and
textile museums of Lowell.  A visitor can squeeze them all into a two day
tour with the farthest ones being 150 miles apart.  
	We are asking for input as to what an r.c.m reader would like
to see if visiting such a museum.
	The three general approaches: 1) static exhibits such as taps, dies,
mills, etc,  2) action based video exhibits showing actually making a tap,
or  3) "interpreted" exhibits where a guide shows the steps of tool making
by taking the observers step by step to the finished product,... are what we
seek comments and guidance and general recommendations on.  The three can
certainly be mixed, eg., the interpreted version done on weekends or for
tour groups only.
        The first version is easy to do, but might only hold interst for
the tool collectors and enthusiasts.  In this capacity the Museum becomes a
kind of repository for specialists.   The second holds the public's interest
(and the Springfield Armory does this with success).  The third is the
most expensive to produce, but is adaptable to a variety of interests
and levels of questions.  These three options will influence the price
of the admissions ticket!   What would r.c.m visitors like to find?  
What would be an expected "fair price" for admission?   What would be
the most fun to see?  What would be the most instructive?   
	Also, what would r.c.m readers expect to obtain in the Museum
Store:  Books?  Posters?  Machinist charts?  Reprints of advertisements?
Reprints of catalogs?  Reproductions of tools?  General metalworking
tools and supplies?  New and/or used machinery?
	Ideas, comments and suggestions are warmly welcomed.  You 
readers of r.c.m overseas...we also want to hear from you too.  Thanks!
Jay Stryker