Subject: Help brazing Aluminum

From: holtslander@skyfox
Date: 20 OCT 93 15:05:51 GMT

After avoiding it for a couple years I'm finally faced with the prospect
of brazing aluminum.  I've tried it in the past and failed miserably.
If anyone has some tips or good references please pass them on.  

I'm pretty sure my torch is not hot enough - but I would like to be sure
before I buy a new one.

Please Email responses

Gord Holtslander
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (James Foster x2912)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 20:57:38 GMT

In article <20OCT93.15055181@skyfox>, holtslander@skyfox writes:
|> After avoiding it for a couple years I'm finally faced with the prospect
|> of brazing aluminum.  I've tried it in the past and failed miserably.
|> If anyone has some tips or good references please pass them on.  
|> 
|> I'm pretty sure my torch is not hot enough - but I would like to be sure
|> before I buy a new one.
|> 
|> Please Email responses
|> 
|> Gord Holtslander
|> [email-masked]

Can you braze aluminum?  I know that there are special soldering
systems you can use, and it can be TIG (or MIG or whatever is being
used nowadays) welded, but I thought its melting point combined with
its ease in oxidizing made brazing out of the question.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 17:34:02 GMT

>>>>> On Wed, 20 Oct 1993 20:57:38 GMT, [email-masked] (James Foster x2912) said:

James> In article <20OCT93.15055181@skyfox>, holtslander@skyfox writes:

James> Can you braze aluminum?  I know that there are special soldering
James> systems you can use, and it can be TIG (or MIG or whatever is being
James> used nowadays) welded, but I thought its melting point combined with
James> its ease in oxidizing made brazing out of the question.

Just had a discussion about this with someone who was at a fair and
saw a guy doing it in one of the booths.  There is a rod for brazing
aluminum available and has been for many years.  It is special just
for aluminum and is used extensively by the refrigeration repair
trade.  The secret to getting this to work is to keep the rod in an
airtight container so that it does not oxidize.  Also, clean the
aluminum with a *stainless steel* wire brush.  Using a carbon steel
brush on aluminum will actually imbed carbon in the aluminum and cause
the aluminum brazing rod to not work.

The method of brazing is just about like any other brazing.  Heat the
work while periodically touching the rod to the work.  When the work
is hot enough to begin to melt the rod, commence adding the rod to the
area to be filled.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                      [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen