Subject: Looking for a Cowell 90CW Collet Lathe

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 93 23:34:18 GMT

I have a 1989 catalog from a Company called COWELLS in Cadillac 
Michigan.  There is a Lathe in there that I am interested in: a Cowells
90CW
Collet Lathe, according to the catalog "The complete clock and watch 
machining center".  Dimensions are: height 9 1/2", length 20", depth 
12 1/2".  It has an index attachment with division plate, motorized 
milling spindle with cutter arbor, saddle lever feed attachment, blank 
arbor and a vertical millling slide.

I have tried to contact them by snail mail first and the letter came 
back.  Then I tried by phone and I am begging to think that they no 
long exist.  Does anyone know anything about this company and its 
lathes?  Are there any lathes available that are similar to this?  Does 
anyone have one they would like to sell?

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 3 Sep 1993 07:25:07 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Steve Lindsay) writes:
|> 
|> I have a 1989 catalog from a Company called COWELLS in Cadillac 
|> Michigan.  There is a Lathe in there that I am interested in: a
|> Cowells
|> 90CW
|> Collet Lathe, according to the catalog "The complete clock and watch
|> |> machining center".  Dimensions are: height 9 1/2", length 20",
|> depth 
|> 12 1/2".  It has an index attachment with division plate, motorized 
|> milling spindle with cutter arbor, saddle lever feed attachment,
|> blank 
|> arbor and a vertical millling slide.
|> 
|> I have tried to contact them by snail mail first and the letter came
|> |> back.  Then I tried by phone and I am begging to think that they
|> no 
|> long exist.  Does anyone know anything about this company and its 
|> lathes?  Are there any lathes available that are similar to this? 
|> Does 
|> anyone have one they would like to sell?
|> 
|> 
|> 

-- 

Cowells is a British firm based near Colchester, Essex (about 10 miles 
from my home!) .  I don't have their exact address to hand, but if you
really want it (and no-one sends it to this group) then e-mail me a
reminder and I'll bring an ad. to work.  If you send them a letter
they'll either tell you the direct cost inc. shipping, or give the
name of a USA vendor. 

Their lathes are similar in capacity to the Unimat and the Toyo, but
of far higher quality... they are well made items (but not cheap).  I
have used the model engineer's version of the 90CW and that was very
good.  The 90CW is generally regarded as a good quality collet lathe
for the amateur watch/clock maker.

They make 2 or 3 lathes based on the same "chassis", a neat little
vertical mill and an electric fretsaw.

David Jenkins

* All incorrect spelling and faulty grammar is intentional.   *  
* Corrections are superfluous and will be ignored.  So there. *         
*

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 3 Sep 1993 07:25:07 GMT

-- 

David Jenkins