Subject: Craftsman 12" Lathe

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 14 Aug 93 17:40:00 GMT

-> I resently bought a old 12" lathe made by Craftsman/Atlas.  And I hav
-> e  a few questions that I was hoping that someone has the answer to.
-> 1) What size pulley goes onto the motor?

 The motor pulleys are the same size as the headstock pulleys.

-> 2) The lathe cam with a 1/3 HP motor, but can I use a 1 HP motor? or
-> is it wise to use more power on a old lathe?

 My 10" Atlas came with a 1HP Atlas motor, 1725 RPM.  According to my
manual, there was a 1-1/2HP optional motor.  If you change motors, check
around everywhere - prices vary widely.  Also make sure it will fit the
mounts, unless you're willing to modify them - my lathe was made in
1957, and the standards for electric motor frames have changes since
then!

-> 4) What is the proper type of oil for the bed and the bearings?

 Clausing sells special "way oil", but I've been using Marvel Mystery
oil, which is a low-viscosity, high quality lubricant, albeit with an
idiotic name.  Marvel also works OK as a cutting oil, though real
cutting oils are better.  Unfortunately, there's no place around here
that will sell the real stuff in less than 20-gallon increments.

 I've tried using Marvel in the headstock bearings, but it's so thin it
runs right through.  I'm using Mobil 1 right now, but it's also a little
thin.

-> 5) What is the head stock bearing type and size?

 You'll have to get the number off the plate on the end of the way and
call Clausing since Atlas built both rolling element and plain
headstocks.  However, <heh, heh> if you have to put a flaming BELT on
the machine, you have to remove the spindle shaft anyway, so you'll find
out.  It'd be a good idea to make yourself a couple of caps to go in the
ends of the spindle shaft before you start taking it apart - you'll need
something to beat on.  Use a dead-blow hammer - buy one at the hardware
store - and don't get too crazy beating on things.

Clausing: 219-533-0371
      fax 219-533-0403

 They want $8 for the parts list and price sheet, and a considerable sum
for the user manual.