Subject: anvil polishing

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Lem)
Date: 17 Aug 93 19:40:29 GMT

I have a ~20 lb. Japanese cast iron anvil that has a ground but
not polished surface.  Does anyone know how I would go about polishing
it and still keep the surface level?  Are there any good books that
describe the process?  

Thanks.

sherry
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee . Escobar)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 03:54:21 GMT

>[email-masked]

I had to to have the edges on my 88-pounder put back on with hard-surfacing rod
when I first bought it.  Took 4 hours with a 9" grinder and 16-grit discs to
level off the edges.  I used a belt sander (3 X 21) with progressively finer
grits (to 120x) to make the face smooth and true.  Takes a lot of patience, and
a good eye/feel for the tool.

Hope this helps.  Plan to spend the day on it!

-- Lee

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee . Escobar)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 03:54:21 GMT

-- Lee