Subject: Re: Tig welding

From: Jim Jaskie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 17:36:01 GMT

Subject: Tig welding
From: David Erickson, [email-masked]
In article <[email-masked]> David Erickson,
[email-masked] writes:
>I have a big Lincoln AC-DC stick welder that I want to use for TIG.
>I already have the TIG attachment, along with a 250 cu ft bottle of
helium 
>(which also is used infrequently by my wife for helium balloons) and a
flow 
>regulator.  Most of the discussion I've seen suggests using argon for
TIG, but 
>is there a big disadvantage to using helium?  
>
>How necessary is a high-frequency attachment and footswitch?  I plan on
>scratch-starting.  What will I gain from the high-frequency attachment?
>
>What polarity works best with TIG?  Should the welder be set to DC- or
>DC+?
>
>-Dave Erickson  

I'm afraid I just have more questions, no answers.  Sorry.

Di you get the TIG attachment from Lincoln?  Do they also sell the
high-frequency attachments for their AC-DC Welders.  Do these work with
their cheap AC-DC welders (you know, the one with the Bauhaus/Chapel
shape that's been around since Arthur welded the sword in the stone?)

Has anyone put a TIG together like this?  Do you recommend it?  Maybe
there is a TIG expert out there who would like to express his opinion of
doing it this way.  Any takers?

-jim