Subject: Alternative burnout suggestions for casting?

From: [email-masked] (M B Wehr (Bruce))
Date: 18 Oct 1993 14:12:52 GMT

Well, I put my $19.99 K-Mart 1000W hot plate to the test this weekend.

For the first burnout, the mold never got hot enough - I gave it 4 hours
(2-3 hours was the expected time).  The element simply spent too much
time off due to the thermostat.  So, I removed the thermostat so the
element would be on all the time.  The hot plate didn't last 3 burnouts
before burning itself up.  If this had been made from more sturdy
materials, it would have been fine.  I may scrounge the element and
build a better housing.

Just as a sanity check: any other (inexpensive) suggestions?

--
             \       Bruce Wehr ([email-masked])      /            
*--------------\   Ford Motor Company - Electronics Division   /--------------*
 \ Electronics Technical Center - Powertrain Electronic Controls Engineering /
   *-- 17000 Rotunda Drive, Room B360, Dearborn, MI  48121 (313)248-5530 --*

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Oct 93 21:37:24 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (David Hoopes) writes:
> [email-masked] (M B Wehr (Bruce)) writes:
> 
> A propane stove.  One of those that are made to heat up a single large
> pot.  I saw one at SAMS Wholesale club the other day.  Didn't check the
> price. 

This sounds similiar to what plumbers use (or used to use before the advent of
plastic drainpipe :-) to melt lead for making lead joints for joining cast iron
soil pipe sections together. What you have is a largeish propane tank such as
is used by kitchen equiped motor homes, with a rubber tube leading to a burner
assembly sitting nearby on the ground. Atop the burner sits a big, heavy cast
iron pot in which the lead is melted, probably holds a quart or so of molten
lead. The tanks are readily available from RV (recreational vehicle) dealers
and servicers, where you can buy them or rent them with a deposit. You might
check with plumbing companies for an old burner. As I recall, some burners
mounted directly to the top of the propane tank. They put out good heat and
would melt a few lead ingots in no time; you had to turn the flame down
afterward to keep from "burning up" i.e. overmelting the lead. You might try a
tool rental place just for a try out.

--

"I laughed out loud one time and they turned me in."  --Cool Hand Luke