Subject: Real Wrought Iron

From: [email-masked] (Dave Burnard)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 19:03:04 GMT

Lately we've been discussing Wrought Iron, and we've touched upon
the fact that "real old fashioned" wrought iron is no longer made
in the U.S. So I was wondering...

Has anybody out there tried to make some themselves, or know of
any similar attempts? There are several good books describing the
process and the construction of Catalon or earlier furnaces. Hey,
if our ancestors could do it we could probably figure it out all
over again, right? Now if I could just get my hands on a few hundred
pounds of charcoal and high grade ore...;>)

Just wondering...

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: 8 Oct 93 13:26:23 GMT

>Dave

I think one of the Universities rebuilt and started on of the old fashion
iron furnaces.  It has been awhile, and I can not remember where I read
about it.  Anybody have a better memory?

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214