Subject: Need a source for Nickel Silver

From: [email-masked] (Hortvet, Douglas Richard)
Date: 4 Nov 1993 11:52 CST

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a source for nickel silver in bars, up to 3/8" square by 
12" long, or something close?  This material was (is?) used in electric model 
steam locomotives for the main and side rods.  I understand this is essentially
brass with approx. 5% nickel added.  Any information to the contrary is welcome.

The local model train speciality shop advises they can no longer get this 
material from the distributor - he only sells direct, and apparently only offers
sheet goods.

Any advice will be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Douglas Hortvet

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Forbes)
Date: 4 Nov 1993 22:55:30 GMT

Look in the FAQ....but River Gems and Findings (formerly Rio Grande) carries
nickel silver (german silver) in casting grain and sheet/rod form. I think
Alpha Metals and Swest may also have them. They should all be in the FAQ.

Mark G. Forbes  |  [email-masked]  |  Hardware Engineer
Videx, Inc.     |  503-758-0521x144 work phone |  754-3104 home 
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be blamed on the engineer."