Subject: Re: Anvils

From: [email-masked] (Doug Ayen)
Date: 9 Nov 1993 00:12:41 -0500

A 100# anvil, in my experience, is worth about 100-140 dollars. That's if it
is in good shape. The person you encountered is an antique tool dealer. Do 
not deal with him! If people don't buy those anvils from him, he will 
come to his senses and price them according to their true value. Or lose 
his shirt. 

Go to used machine-tool shops and ask around. Check out any local flea markets. Be on the lookout for barn sales and old factory auctions. This is how you 
can find cheap anvils. Trust me, I've procured/reconditioned/resold about 10 
in the last four years.

--doug

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Stoltzfus)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 19:27:53 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kevin Martinez) writes:
>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Doug Ayen) writes:
>
>>Go to used machine-tool shops and ask around. Check out any local flea 
>markets. Be on the lookout for barn sales and old factory auctions. This is 
>how you 
>You can also MAKE one out of old railroad track, a cutting torch, a good 
>grinder and some time. Warning: Do not use railroad track that is in current 
>use by trains <disclaimer>. 
>
>I made one like this and I am extremely happy with it. I think if more people 
>had anvils, they might be less likely to beat their wives and kids as well. 

But I know where to find a new or used anvil, and I can't find a railroad
track that is not in use. Let alone spend all that time working it up.

But I would if I could.

>-- 
>The Lottery is a Tax on those who can't do Math!
>                               - heard on UseNet
>Kevin Martinez
>[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 9 Nov 93 21:10:40 GMT

it because of some law. I tried on the network and all over Orange County
with no luck. Finally found half a large vise with a flat block for small
work.

I think a better phrase is "The Lottery is a stupidity tax."
-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 9 Nov 93 21:15:45 GMT

Where does one find a piece of railroad track??

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: 9 Nov 93 13:11:11 GMT

[email-masked] (John Taylor) writes:

>I am presently looking for a used anvil of about 100 pounds. I recently
>answered an advertisement in the classifieds of a San Antonio newpaper
>which sought buyers for anvils. I called, he said he had 30 anvils for
>sale. He gave me directions, I drove down to see what he had. When he
[snip ]

>y good shape - no rounded off edges on the face - the hardy hole was
>sharply square and when I taped across the face with my hammer lookin for
>soft spots it rang like a bell. I inquired about the price. He looked down
>at my selection and said 24. I said twenty-four dollars and reached for my
>wallet. He said no twenty-four hundred dollars. I thought he was joking -
>he wasn't. I explained that new 100 pound anvils cost 600 dollars plus
>freight. He said these were antiques and were worth more. I explained t ha

I would love to know what this turkey paid for them.  I bet (hope)
somebody suckered him real good. 

[snip]
>	In your experience, what is a used 100 pound anvil worth? 

I was talking about anvil prices this weekend with some other blacksmiths. 
We all came to the conclusion that the $1.00 per pound figure is a little
dated.  From what we have seen, beat up anvils are running $1.30 to a
$1.50 a pound.  One in really good condition will run about $2.00 a pound. 

This was in the mid-west.  I didn't look to see where you posted from. 
Your mileage may vary.  I would call the guy and offer him $200 for the
anvil you had picked out.  Maybe he will change his mind after they have
sat around his garage for awhile.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214