Subject: Tempering oils

From: [email-masked] (Louis Victor Zimmerman)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 07:54:48 GMT

Does anyone know if corn oil is a suitable quench for tempering
blades? I used a 3/1 ratio of motor oil/deisel fuel for the
hardening stage, but did that outdoors at the farm: intend to do
the tempering step here in town, using the oven. I'd just as soon
not have the aroma of deisel fuel floating around the townhouse:
besides, I've got this 5 yr. old bottle of Mazola that I'd like
to put to some use... :-) ... the references that I've got mention
using olive oil and fish oil as light quenching oils, but nothing
about corn oil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Louis V. Zimmerman      |  I do not speak for ACTC Technologies, NAPRA,
Software Development    |  the Calgary Metal Detecting Club, or the
Engineer                |  University of Calgary.
                        |--------------------------------------------------
ACTC Technologies Inc.  |  Please support Nanotechnology and the Human 
Calgary, Alberta        |  Genome project.  I'd like to live long enough
                        |  to catch up on my household chores...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Basse)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 21:47:26 GMT

> using olive oil and fish oil as light quenching oils, but nothing
I suppose you don't have to worry about coronary occlusion in your blades if
 you use these polyunsaturated oils ;=)
Hank

--
Hank Basse      | IBM internal: basse@basse
512 838-1442    | [email-masked]
Only my opinion.| [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Louis Victor Zimmerman)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 05:31:30 GMT

> you use these polyunsaturated oils ;=)
Gee, hadn't considered the blades... does anyone know if butter
knives have a higher incident of heart failure than vegetable
knives?  %-)

But seriously, folks, I did try the corn oil. No apparent
problems (this was not a hardening quench, so the temperatures
were low enough that viscosity breakdown did not seem to be a
problem.)  I haven't gotten around to the finishing grind yet:
we'll see if anything fishy has occured then...