Subject: ask advice on bending, soldering, & surfacing brass

From: [email-masked] (Brand )
Date: 8 Feb 1994 23:44:07 GMT

I'd like some advice on my tools & materials.

	I make sculptures using brass rod and plate.  The plates are
	shaped and mounted on stalks. The rods are generally 3/32" or
	1/3" diameter; the plate is 0.032" thick.  Both are supplied
	by an metal wholesaler called "K+S."  I cut the plates with
	aviation snips, bend the rods extensively with a home-made
	tool, and attach pieces with silver-bearing lead-free solder,
	using a pocket-sized butane torch.  My questions:

	1) I find the brass a little too soft; jeweler's pliers dent
	it, long rods sag when weighted, etc.  And a little too prone
	to fatigue; the 1/8" diameter becomes weak after bending and
	will occasionally snap under loads.  Can someone recommend a
	supplier of harder, more durable brass?

	2) My torch runs a little too hot; often it will "copperize"
	the surface of the brass before solder melts (>450F).  Can I
	avoid this by changing the amount of air mixed in with the
	butane?  Or am I better off with a propane torch and a
	copper-tip soldering attachment?  Also, where (preferably in
	Chicago) can I get flux for silver-solder?

	3) Currently I patinate the brass with "Verde-It" (a chloride
	acid) and a blacking acid (selenium-based).  Can anyone
	recommend other surface treatments?  I also shine with
	anti-oxidants "Nevr-Dull" and "Peek".  How long will these
	last?  Can I do better?  (I got tired of lacquering wires...)

	4) I'd like to make some larger pieces, which means finding 
	rods with a better strength-to-weight ratio.  I'm thinking of
	moving to tubes, but those are difficult to bend in 1/3"
	radii.  I'd appreciate recommendations of alloys that can be
	bent, are stiff, can be soldered, and can be worked to
	interesting surfaces.

	thanks much, & please reply be email,
	matt brand