Subject: Book called Projects 3, plastic injection molding

From: [email-masked] (Alden Hackmann)
Date: 6 Jan 1994 00:41:25 GMT

I saw an ad in HSM for a set of books called Projects 1-5 published by 
Village Press.  Projects 3 
includes how to make a plastic injection molding machine.  Our business 
needs (at some future point) small runs of custom plastic parts, so this 
seems very appealing.  So: 

Can anyone recommend (or not!) this book?  Is building such a machine a 
practical thing, or is this a hobbyist version?  

What other sources might you recommend for an introduction to plastic 
injection molding?

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Webster)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 14:49:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> What other sources might you recommend for an introduction to plastic 

I too am interested in this topic.
Please post responses to the newsgroup.

Bill Webster ([email-masked])

---

From: Doug White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 94 17:00:52 -0500

> What other sources might you recommend for an introduction to plastic 
I'm not familiar with this particular machine, but there was a series of
articles in HSM a year or two ago about building your own injection
molding machine.  It was moderately complex (at least in terms of total
parts count), and not just a simple modification of something readily
available.  (Being lazy, I much prefer the 'convert this inexpensive
hydraulic shock into something wonderful' sort of design article).

Doug White
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Andersen)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 04:25:36 GMT

>> What other sources might you recommend for an introduction to plastic 

There is a company in California called Morgan Industries which makes
small prototyping/short production injection molding machines.
They have three models.  They are basically pneumatic powered platen
presses with a pneumatic ram-type injection mechanism and 
heated barrel/nozzle.  The three models are 

G55 - 8 ton press with 2 oz. (about 3 cu. in.) injection capacity
G-55T - 20 Ton with 2 oz. capacity (uses a toggle mechanism for 20 tons)
G-100T - 20 Ton with 4 oz. (6 cu in) capacity

They cost about 8k, 11k and 12k respectively.  They run off of
110V (heaters) and 160psi air (less air pressure obviously
reduces press clamping force and max injection pressure.

We (the company I work for, Anholt Technologies) have 
a G55 and a G100T.  They should be great machines for 
what you are looking for.  Morgan also has a book which gives a 
bunch of tooling/part examples.  There are also a bunch of options
available (PID controllers, heated tool plate, anti-drool nozzles, etc)

Email me for their number (don't have it handy).  Of course, if 
you don't want to lay out the cash for new ones, we'd be happy to 
help you with prototypes and small production runs ;-) ;-) ;-)

Steve Andersen
[email-masked]
-- 
 Steve Andersen  DoD #0239                               [email-masked]
 (302) 832-0136                                     [email-masked]
 1992 Ducati 907 I.E.                                      1987 Yamaha SRX250
 "Life is simply a consequence of the complexities of carbon chemistry..."