Subject: weld preps

From: [email-masked] (Henry Sommer)
Date: 6 Dec 93 05:59:25 GMT

What does the net recamend for weld preperation and cleaning. 
Right now I'm using paint thinner which I don't like.  My welding techer
recamended just plain old laundry detergent for getting the deseil fuel
they coat steel with off but I'm wondering how much residue that would
leave behind.  Would something like Simple Green work better?  It doesn't
leave anything behind on glass.

thanks

--
        Henry Sommer               Mechanical Engineering student
        [email-masked]   Georgia Institute of Technology

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 20:33:08 GMT

>>>>> "Henry" == Henry Sommer <[email-masked]> writes:

Henry> 	What does the net recamend for weld preperation and cleaning. 
Henry> Right now I'm using paint thinner which I don't like.  My welding techer
Henry> recamended just plain old laundry detergent for getting the deseil fuel
Henry> they coat steel with off but I'm wondering how much residue that would
Henry> leave behind.  Would something like Simple Green work better?  It doesn't
Henry> leave anything behind on glass.

Henry> thanks

Henry> --
Henry>         Henry Sommer               Mechanical Engineering student
Henry>         [email-masked]   Georgia Institute of Technology     

Anytime I want to prep steel for any operation requirign clean and
dry, I use Berryman's Brake Cleaner.  Made for getting rid of grease
and oil from brake shoes.  Just use the spray to "hose" down the part
and let air dry.  Do what you want quickly, or steel will rust quite
quickly because this removes *every* bit of grease.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                      [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen