Subject: Re: gas welding/brazing aluminum

From: [email-masked] (Roger Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 20:15:42 GMT

You are in for some real tricky business. AIRCO makes a special flux and rod
to use with it for torch welding aluminum. I use to use it when I had the job
for a living of welding return-bend tubes in aluminum heat exchangers and it
worked quite well. One big problem is that due to the orange flare off of the
flux, you cannot see what you are doing and it must all be done by feel. The
flux melts at just a couple of degrees less than the rod, to help you tell
just how hot you have things. After the flux melts you then start applying
the rod with just enough heat being added to keep the rod flowing. The
biggest problem with trying to torch weld aluminum is then you see it and
now you don't.

				Roger Mitchell
				President and Master Mechanic 
				Fort Collins Municipal Railway

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Martinez)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 02:12:16 GMT

>Fort Collins Municipal Railway

There are welding glasses made that will minimize the glow from the flux. Look 
up the Fend-All Company of Arlington Heights, Il for a source. Ask for cobalt 
or didyium blue, shade #5 for conventional torch welding.

Kevin Martinez
[email-masked] 
-- 
File not found
Loading something similar...
GS/M -d+(-) -p+(-) c++ l+ u e+ m---(*) s++/++ n+(--) h f+ g++(-) w+ t- r++ y?
GCS/O d- -p+ c+ !l u+ e+ m+ s++/ !n(---) h f+ g+ w+++ t+ r(-) y?

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Pettengill)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 02:28:45 GMT

--
	------------------------------------------------------------------
	*	Greg Pettengill		|  Just because my opinions may  *
	*				|  change doesn't mean that I    *
	*	[email-masked]	|  was wrong.			 *