Subject: 4 pins in surface gauge?

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 02:22:20 GMT

I picked up a Starrett surface gauge at an antique swap meet for $10.
Good deal I guess since the new item lists for about $70. But what are
the retractable pins in each corner for? THANKS!!
___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 30 Nov 1993 08:32:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Greg Lewis) writes:
|> 
|> 
|> 
|> I picked up a Starrett surface gauge at an antique swap meet for
|> $10.
|> Good deal I guess since the new item lists for about $70. But what
|> are
|> the retractable pins in each corner for? THANKS!!

...running along the edges of items, e.g. a surface plate.  By this
means you can get a straight line on an item without a reference edge.

This presumes that the surface plate has a straight edge...
-- 

David Jenkins

* I'd rather be steaming... *