Subject: FAQ location?

From: tadams@wedge (Tom. Adams 529-7860)
Date: 21 Jan 1994 16:36:26 GMT

The FAQ for rec.crafts.metalworking doesn't seem to get posted to 
news.answers, which prevents it from being archived.  Could
whoever is maintaining the FAQ please look into this?  If it's 
too much trouble, I'll do it.  Also if someone could point me
towards a ftpable copy of the faq I'd appreciate it.  A co-worker 
friend needs to find a source for a #1 die.

--
Tom Adams				Southwestern Bell Technology Resources
Telephone:314-529-7860 	Fax:314-529-7573
Use this email address -->> [email-masked] <<<---

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 23 Jan 94 23:00:13 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, tadams@wedge (Tom. Adams 529-7860) writes:

|>The FAQ for rec.crafts.metalworking doesn't seem to get posted to 
|>news.answers, which prevents it from being archived.  Could
|>whoever is maintaining the FAQ please look into this?  If it's 
|>too much trouble, I'll do it.  Also if someone could point me
|>towards a ftpable copy of the faq I'd appreciate it.  A co-worker 
|>friend needs to find a source for a #1 die.

No, it doesn't get posted to news.answers.  That's on my stack of things
to do someday.  First, I want to ensure it's in the "proper" form for an
FAQ per the guidelines.  Second, last time I checked, news.answers was
moderated and my brain-dead news system won't post to a moderated group!
But I do intend to get this working someday.  Gad, I sound like a
software vendor.

However, when I do post the FAQ, I include an Expires: header that specifies
the end of the current month.  Thus, it *should* be on your news system if
you go back far enough.  On the other hand, I don't believe news systems
are required to obey Expires: headers; it is just a request/guideline.
Perhaps you can complain to your news system administrator, if the FAQ
still isn't around at your site, and get him to obey expiration dates.
(some sites ignore it because it occasionally gets abused by twits who
post something tasteless and expire it next century).

I have loaded the current FAQ (even newer than the one I last posted!)
into the metal subdirectory, for anonymous ftp via plains.uwyo.edu.

Jim