Subject: Copper oxidation

From: [email-masked] (John Wagner)
Date: 30 Jan 1994 04:52:50 GMT

I am making an indoor fountain out of copper tubing and sheet copper
flashing material. how can I make the copper green? Muriatic acid perhaps?
Any suggestions?

---

From: [email-masked] (John De Armond)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 06:13:02 GMT

>flashing material. how can I make the copper green? Muriatic acid perhaps?

Unless you want to waste a lot of time experimenting and then still
possibly not get a coating that will stay green, use a commercial
patina made for that purpose.  We use it in stained glass work.
I'm sure it is available from anywhere that sells sculpture or 
architectural supplies.

John

-- 
John De Armond, WD4OQC, Marietta, GA    [email-masked] 
Performance Engineering Magazine.

"Dr. Kevorkian, you're needed in the Oval Office."

---

From: [email-masked] (John Anderson)
Date: 2 Feb 1994 22:21:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John Wagner) writes:
=
=I am making an indoor fountain out of copper tubing and sheet copper
=flashing material. how can I make the copper green? Muriatic acid perhaps?
=Any suggestions?
=

Try this...

1 Tbsp. ammonium chloride ( sal ammoniac )
1 Tbsp salt
1 oz. ammonia
1 qt. water ( distilled is best )

Mix all this stuff up, you may need to warm it up to get things to dissolve.
Put the mixture in a spray bottle.
Make sure your metal is clean ( Scotchbrite pads work great here ) and dry.
Spritz the stuff all over your metal, and allow to dry naturally.
Repeat the spritz and dry at least four times.

You can also mix the liquid with saw dust or kitty litter and put that
and your metal in a bag and seal it up.

good luck,

John

--
 [email-masked]
==========================================================
      The ones whom you should try to get even with
            are the ones who have helped you.
==========================================================