Subject: OLD ENGINES

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 16:36:06 GMT

HI, 
I HAVE NOT SEEN MANY MESSAGES FROM ANTIQUE ENGINE COLLECTORS. THERE MUST BE 
SEVERAL PEOPLE WITH GAS, STEAM OR HOT AIR ENGINES OUT THERE. THE ONLY THING 
I HAVE AT PRESENT IS A 1926 KOHLER GENERATOR. IT IS A WATER-COOLED 3 1/2 HP, 
4 CYLINDER WEIGHING 500 POUNDS. I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO ANYONE WHO HAS ONE 
OR KNOWS OF ONE. I NEED A FEW PARTS TO RESTORE IT TO ORIGINAL CONDITION.

THANKS, Ron
Ron Thompson                      |     Internet:  [email-masked]
Psychology Dept.                  |     Voice:     904-644-5563
Florida State University          |     FAX:       904-644-7739
Tallahassee,  FL 32306-1051

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 2 Feb 1994 22:09:19 GMT

Ron Thompson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: HI, 
: I HAVE NOT SEEN MANY MESSAGES FROM ANTIQUE ENGINE COLLECTORS. THERE MUST BE 
: SEVERAL PEOPLE WITH GAS, STEAM OR HOT AIR ENGINES OUT THERE.

Where have you been?  A couple of months ago I was looking for someone to talk
to about the Western 200 I have adopted.  I'm glad to see another engine buff
on the net!  I had an engine for sale too.

I am part of a museum where I am restoring a Western 200.  The last of it's 
kind.  It's a 2 cylinder 200 hp monster.  Weighing in at 28,000 pounds with
it's 7 foot flywheel.  I almost have it ready to start.

Dave Parsons

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Stone 4915162)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 09:15:01 GMT

>Tallahassee,  FL 32306-1051

For any one that might be interested in old machinery, there is a
small business in Victoria Australia that sells books, decals
and stuff related.  It is mostly for agricultural machinery.
They have a comprehensive catalogue that covers this also some
good books on workshop practice, pyrotechnics, Aviation etc.

It certainly is worth looking at (I liked it anyway) and has heaps
of books on very old engines.
The catalogue costs A$2.00

They are:  Plough Book Sales
			P.O. Box 14
			Belmont, Victoria 3216
			Australia   Phone 052 661262

			Charlie Stone
	Perth Western Australia

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 4 Feb 1994 18:47:02 GMT

Frank,

	Yeah, your right some people do get surprised by the date or supply of
antiques, and I am not so high falootin' as to argue about the Western.  As I 
posted before about and engine that I had for sale (antique).  I took it to a
parts swap and you should have heard some of the experts stories about what it
was out of. :-)  It ranged from a Franklin car that they only built a few of to
a truck that was used by the navy by the millions durring WW2.  The later it 
turns out to be true.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Evan Perdicaro)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 16:54:10 GMT

>it's 7 foot flywheel.  I almost have it ready to start.
You two would probably die if you went to the working "Transportation
Museme" on the central coast in Maine.  No, I do not remember the town
right now, but all they do is fix antique engines and put them into
antique applications.  Planes, cars, motorcycles, pumps, generators,
boats, locomotives and whacked-out things you would never think of. 

I think you can get there by boat, but you certainly can drive or fly
in ( I've done both ).

Dave: there is an engine much like you are describing in Chelmsford, MA.
It is in a old mill rehabed to be a shopping/eating place, I think it
is called "The Mill".  Its just outside North Chelmsford Center.

Your "last of its kind" statement reminds me of my father-in-law's trip to
some high zoot rail museme in Penn.  The showpiece was a recenly restored
"only one in the world" locomotive.  Until Bob pointed out that there is
one at Clark's Trained Bears in rural northern New Hampshire that has been
in use once in a while for the last 30 years.  Some folks were very suprised.

-- 
Frank Evan Perdicaro 			Dainippon Screen Engineering of America
 Legalize guns, drugs and cash...today.	   3700 Segerstrom Ave
  inhouse: frank@rebel, x210		      Santa Ana CA 92704

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Rubesh)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 03:54:14 GMT

>it's 7 foot flywheel.  I almost have it ready to start.

The Western sounds like quite an engine!! I have an old
Fairbanks-Morse "Z" engine, horizontal single, 3hp@ something under
500 rpm that I restored a few (Hmmm.. maybe 20) years ago.. It had
seen service into the late '50s as a pump engine on a ranch.. This one
is somewhat unusual in that it has a condenser attached to the cooling
system so that the water is condensed and returned to the reservoir
rather than going off into atmosphere as steam.. I was told that that
design was originally used to power track maintenance cars on the
railroads.. I used to belong to an association of collectors that was
based in Vista Calif, the Southern California Early Days Gas and
Tractor Assn.. (quite a mouthful).. They have a large museum in Vista,
CA and had shows every few months, as I recall.. They would probably
be a good source of information.. I've lost track of their address/phone 
but directory assistance should have it.. 619 area code..

--
Good Winds and Tight Lines!

Dan Rubesh                   AKA Member/Merchant    Wind Wizard, Purveyor of
UUCP: {ucsd, nosc}!crash!danr       GO              Stunt Kites & Accessories 
ARPA: [email-masked]          FLY A            P.O. Box 5747    
INET: [email-masked]           STUNT            Ventura, CA  93005
(805) 659-5654                     KITE!            Member: Kite Trade Assn.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: 6 FEB 94 20:31:17

>I think you can get there by boat, but you certainly can drive or fly
The place in Maine is the Owls Head transportation Museum, at Owls Head ariport
just outside Rockland Maine. Its about mid-way up the maine coast. The airport 
is a small comuter type, with lots of private aircraft. It does have service to
Boston.

The museum is mostly into airplanes. They have several real or replica antiques
and on any summer weekend do regular flying shows- the flying farmer, the Red
Baron in a triplane etc.

They periodically hold auctions of 'mechanincal' things. In the past it was a
great auction of model engines and various engines. They have not held one for a
couple years, but have announced one for this summer. I dont know the exct
date.

They aslo have some stationary engines, quite a car collection and a Lombard
Steam Log hauler. One annual event is a Truck weekend.

Good place, worth a visit for any mechanical interest person.

ron ginger

---

From: longcore@charybdis (Jeff Ray Longcore)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 22:50:20 GMT

Frank Evan Perdicaro ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] () writes:
: You two would probably die if you went to the working "Transportation
: Museme" on the central coast in Maine.  No, I do not remember the town
: right now, but all they do is fix antique engines and put them into
: antique applications.  Planes, cars, motorcycles, pumps, generators,
: boats, locomotives and whacked-out things you would never think of. 

    Cool place.  I was there for an air show a few years ago.  There
wasn't enough time in the day.  Plus too many people, and I couldn't
play with anything :-(.  I think the full name of the place is the
"Owl's Head Transportation Musem".  I think it is in Owl's Head,
Maine (suprisingly enough).  It has been too long.

    - Jeff
--
[email-masked]
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 02:09:25 +0000

> : Museme" on the central coast in Maine.

Just so that the Brits don't feel left out, here's a plug for a little known
museum in the North. 8-)

The Hunday tractor museum is at Hunday, just off the A69 Newcastle-Carlisle
road. It's a farm museum, with a whole range of tractors, farm implements,
stationary engines, miniature railway etc. The twin highlights of the place
are the last (?) surviving Foster Gyro-Tillers, one large one and one
*sodding* *enormous* one !  These things are fully-tracked tractors, with
built in vertical-axis rotovators at the back. The bigger one was made for a
sugar plantation in the 1920s and is the size of a railway engine. A most
impressive bit of the engineering of the day, all polished brasswork and
handwheels.

If you're a pilot, the farm also has a grass strip. Ring up before landing, I
think it's in Pooleys.

--
Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]