Subject: Re: Building Trains, Hiraoka's Books...

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 01:33:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Matthew Jones) writes:
>I've received a couple of responses about Hiraoka's books, but more 
>requestes for me to post the responses (I will in a few days.). It won't
>be too exciting unless I get a few more responses.
>
stuff deleted...

>Matthew Jones
>[email-masked] (preferred)
>[email-masked]

I have a *strong* suspicion that Santa may bring me the Shay book. If
this happens, I'll post a review sometime after the 25th....

Standby.

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Jones)
Date: 16 Dec 1993 15:36:44 GMT

I received one request for information on train building in general
(which I responsed to directly.), however I thought maybe there are other
who could use the  information. (Similar information is in the FAQ.)

A popular machinest hobby is to build model steam trains, usually they
run on 3.5, 4.5 or 7.5" track and an engineer (operator) sits on top of the 
tender car.  There are four magazines that cover this hobby. Live Steam
and Modeltech in the US and Model Engineer and Engineering in Minature in 
England.  
In the US I would recommend Live Steam over Modeltech, just because
they seem to have more engine construction articles. Modeltech seems
to have better articles on making rolling stock (box cars, flat cars...).
Hiraoka's engine construction articles are  serialized in Live Steam
before the book is published. Live Steam has claimed they will start a new
Hiraoka construction series called "Pensey Switcher" real soon for a couple of
years now.

Matthew Jones

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 16 Dec 93 22:29:10 CST

Matthew Jones ([email-masked]) wrote:
> run on 3.5, 4.5 or 7.5" track...

Or, 3.5, 5 and 7.25" track, depending on what part of the world you're in...

> There are four magazines that cover this hobby. Live Steam and Modeltech...

Modeltec

> ... In the US I would recommend Live Steam over Modeltech, just because

Modeltec has been under new management for a year or so now; I know the guy
who publishes it is desperately trying to get more material. IMHO the fact
that Modeltec has a monthly (Vs. Live Steams now bi-monthly) edition is an
advantage ...hell, I can't help but read it in one go and it's sooooo long
till the next edition. I'd be lost without Modeltec and the ME.

: Hiraoka's engine construction articles are serialized in Live Steam before
: the book is published. Live Steam has claimed they will start a new Hiraoka
: construction series called "Pensey Switcher" real soon...

Part 8 of the switcher appeared in the November/December 1993 Live Steam.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (f.w.kerfoot..iii)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1993 14:04:40 GMT

>From article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Tim Kirby):

As long as we are picking nits, the gauge for nominal 1"/ft scale in the
US is 4 3/4", not 4 1/2".

The overall picture is as follows:

UK (and rest of the world, except USA?): 3.5", 5", 7.25"

USA (Eastern portion): 3.5", 4.75", 7.25"

USA (remainder): 3.5", 4.75", 7.5"

There is also a bit of 2.5" track still around, and some Gauge 1
equipment (1.75" gauge) is built in live steam, although seldom 
using coal as a fuel (alcohol, and, I believe, butane are common).

There is also some interest in still larger scales, with 15" gauge
being the most common.

Frank Kerfoot
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (f.w.kerfoot..iii)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1993 14:04:40 GMT

Frank Kerfoot
[email-masked]