Subject: Geo. H. Thomas (threading and more)

From: Gregory P. Widin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 94 14:35:19 GMT

In the thread on threading, I mentioned the work of George H. Thomas (GHT).  I
got some queries about his books, so I thought the information might be
interesting to others in r.c.m.

The Model Engineers Workshop Manual
Geo. H. Thomas
Tee Publishing  ISBN 1-85761-000-2
published 1992, 28 chapters 303 pp.
        Topics: setting up; parting off; boring; ball handles; retracting     
          toolholders; screwcutting; tapers, etc. etc.
        Each topic includes many details of technique beyond just the projects
or equipment to be constructed.  Thomas was a master, and the photos of his
work show all of us the kind of craftsmanship we can aspire to.  As you may
guess from all this, I highly recommend this book.  It is essentially a
reprint of GHT's works in Model Engineer from the late 70s and early 80s, with
additions and corrections, but is valuable to have even if you read the
articles originally in ME.
prices:
Tee Publishing (L sterling) 19.95 + 1.30 post
        overseas post 20% to maximum of 2.95 (regardless of how many items)
Camden  (L sterling) 21.90 incl post in UK, overseas add 10 percent
Both accept Visa and Mastercard(Access)

Available from:
Tee Publishing
Edwards Centre
Regent St
Hinckley, Leics. LE10 0BB England
Tel 0455 637173/616419
or
Camden Miniature Steam Services
13 High Street
Rode, Bath   BA3 6UB  England
phone (0373) 830151

I have ordered with satisfaction from both of these sources in the past, and
have been satisfied with the service and speed of response, considering that
the shipping is surface.  They will ship air at an additional charge, but
you'd have to contact them to find out about this.

Also, for those of you who find that GHT's stuff is so good you must have more
(and that should be everyone), Tee Publishing has also reprinted GHT's
"Dividing and Graduating" (168 pp, L 11.95 + 1.30 post)  This describes a
variety of dividing methods and appliances including the "Versatile Dividing
Head."  Again, excellent reading and lots of information about workshop
technique incidental to describing construction of the dividing accessories.

Greg Widin                3M Hardgoods and Electronics Support Division
[email-masked]                                      Building 260-6A-08  
(612) 736-6708                                     St. Paul, MN   55144