Subject: Pewter Casting

From: [email-masked] (Dave Gembala)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 20:48:52 GMT

I haven't been reading this group regularly, so forgive me if this is a
common question.

I have recently received information about a kit for casting those
little pewter figures.  It includes some sort of heating pot, some other
useful tools, a figure mold of your choice, and a few small bars (pigs?)
of pewter.  

The molds are made of a Silicon-Rubber compound.  

Does anyone have experience with this sort of set up?  The info I have
doesn't describe the equipment very well.  I am wondering if this is
only good for pewter or lead, or do you think that it can handle higher
temp. metals (ie. silver or brass).

They also sell tools and blank rubber molds.  (I think that I would try
to set my own SR around something that I'm trying to make castings of).
How hard is this material to aquire and work with?

My next step will probably be to write to the company for specifics, but
an advanced knowledge of the process would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dave Gembala			|	
Hewlett-Packard, McMinnville	|	"Life is just a vivid dream
[email-masked]		|	 In the mind of a Lima Bean"
(503) 434-8279	TN		|			-IM,KH

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 7 Feb 94 20:19:17 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Dave Gembala) writes:
> stuff deleted> 

The rubber will handle pewter, solder, woods metal, and probably pure lead
and tin.  It is unlikely that it can handle the temperatures required for
brass & copper (in blacksmit terms, these melt at a "white" heat).

Rule of thumb:  if the molten metal GLOWS, it's probably too hot for silicone
		rubber.

JK