Subject: cross slide

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 26 Jan 94 11:25:00 GMT

I have a project which needs several hundred identical parts -
specifically, modifying some modern cartridge cases to a semi-obsolete
caliber.

 After using a conventional case trimmer, I need to turn down the OD of
the rim on the case, then cut an extractor groove.  I can hold the cases
in a collet in the headstock, but my old Atlas only has a compound rest,
not front and rear toolblocks like the Hardinge second-op lathes I used
to use when I worked in a machine shop.

 Rather than cranking the cross slide in and out in two separate ops, a
typical second-op lathe uses a lever operated slide with front and rear
tool blocks.  You mount the rear tool upside down, and you can do two
ops per part - usually cutoff and chamfer, or groove and chamfer.

 My choices are:

    1) build a lever slide from scratch

    2) modify my existing slide

    3) find a lever slide and adapt it to the Atlas

 Does anyone sell the lever slides as a universal retrofit?