Subject: making a "dinner triangle"

From: [email-masked] (Frank Tompkins)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 16:55:16 GMT

Greetings;
 
I'd like to make (for lack of the correct term) a "dinner triangle".  You know,
the metal triangular shaped object that a western cook "rings" when a meal is
ready.  Anyway, I found one in a Denver shop, for $90.00, and I know I can get
steel rod for a fraction of this.  Three basic sets of questions:
 
 1) Will mild steel be appropriate for this application? (will it "ring"
    once shaped properly)?  What are "dinner triangles" usually made of (iron)?
 
 2) I've been following the blackening steel thread - will this process
    keep it from rusting (it will be used in an outdoors area)? It actually
    will be used(rang), by being hit with another piece of the same steel.
 
 3) I expect to be able to bend the rod (3/4 inches dia.) by heating the bend
    area until red, then bending to 120 degrees in a jig, keeping it on a
    welding table to maintain two dimensionality.  Anyone have any suggestions?
 
Thanks for your time!             - Frank
*************************************************************************
Frank Tompkins           º   Internet: [email-masked]
University of Akron      º
Akron, Ohio   44325-3501 º
 "The jury has a right to judge both the law as well as the fact in
      contraversy" - John Jay, first Chief Justice, U.S. Supreme Court
              (Georgia vs Brailsford, 1794:4)

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 26 Jan 94 10:55:07 CST

Frank Tompkins ([email-masked]) wrote:
>I'd like to make (for lack of the correct term) a "dinner triangle"...
>  

Probably. You can bet your bottom dollar that the originals weren't made from
anything particularly exotic; I think they were as likely to use an old wheel
tyre.

>  2) will [blackening] keep it from rusting ?

Maybe, but you may have problems where you 'hit' it. If you want it to stay
nice and shiny, perhaps you are better off using a ibt of stainless (this
probably ties in with other recent threads; such triangles were probably
knowked up by the local blacksmith out of something that bore more than a
passing resemblance to wrought iron... which is generally better in the
elements than yer average mild steel as I recall)

:  3) I expect to be able to bend the rod (3/4 inches dia.)...

3/4" dia? That is one *impressive* triangle.
How big is it going to be on a side?
Your jig is probably going to need to be fairly... solid.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Gee)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 19:39:23 GMT

I made a jig that sits in the hardy hole of my anvil.  It's a piece of flat
steel with pegs welded on it to form the triangle around.
I can make a dinner bell in 29 seconds. From fire to quench tank.
One of the fastest sellers I make at craft shows.  With a gas forge where
I can put a dozen rods in at a time.  It's real fast production work.
With using steel from the scrap yard.  There is some factory that uses rod
stock but always has about 3 foot of scarp left over from what they make.
The whole cost comes out to be about a buck a bell and I sell them for 
10 bucks at the craft shows.  

Happy forging 

Dale

The Village Iron Weaver

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Kapral)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 21:14:04 GMT

in article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Steve Hampson) writes:

>It may look better if the ends are drawn to a point and forged to
>create loops -- one at the top to hang it and one at the other end for
>decoration.  It should be held by a piece of leather or rope to allow
>it to vibrate freely.

I've seen triangles that have loops on the ends of the bar, but I don't thing
you can hang it by the loops, because the ends have to be free to vibrate.  
You have to hang it by one of the bends.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 26 Jan 94 20:30:36 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Frank Tompkins) writes:
> <stuff deleted>
>  
> I'd like to make (for lack of the correct term) a "dinner triangle".
>  

Traditionally (e.g., in logging camps), the triangle was recycled from an
old crow-, pry-, or other STEEL bar (soft iron doesn't ring as well).  Or,
you might want to uncoil an old spring (you'll need a forge or a VERY large
fire to get it hot enough to straighten).

It's also important to let it hang freely -- often a "loop" or "hook" was
forged on the end to hang it from.

JK