Subject: Specs for 5C collets?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 93 14:43:48 -0600

Would someone who owns a collet lathe that uses 5C collets be so kind as to
post the specifications for a 5C collet?

 I have only one home made collet for my lathe and would like to know if it is
 5C compatible before I go and order more collets.

E-mail or a post to this group , either is fine with me.

Thanks in advance

Barry
-- 
Barry B. Wolinetz             |   Opinions etc.... mine, not those of the 
Northern Trust Co.            |   Northern Trust. 
Chicago, Il                   |
                              |   "My boolean, why can't you be true?" 
                              |       Not(Chuck Berry)

---

From: Doug White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 19:19:33 -0500

> E-mail or a post to this group , either is fine with me.
I don't have the specs, but before you go shopping, I may be able to 
help you get the most for your money.  I recently bought a lathe, and 
I'm in the process of checking out the very mixed collection of collets
(5C's) I have acquired over the years.  I have collets from every vendor
I know of except Enco, from Hardinge to Phase II.  Preliminary results
indicate (literally) that Lyndex collets (available from Penn tool for
$9 a piece) are generally as accurate as anything I've got.  They have
sharp edges and aren't polished the way the Hardinge collets are, but 
they don't cost $30-$40 either.  A friend of mine bought a whole bunch
of Enco collets, and had to return a bunch for excessive runout.  The
Lyndex collets have the internal thread in the back, which is required 
for some collet stops.  Many cheap collets do not.  Most of the Lyndex
collets have basically zero runout, with an occasional one thats out
by 4/10ths.  I have a few holes in my collection, and after I get the 
time to check a few more, I'm going to buy Lyndex and spend a few minutes
knocking the edges off with an Arkansas stone.

Doug White
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

---

From: [email-masked] (John Wishneusky)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 15:28:52 GMT

>post the specifications for a 5C collet?
I've a "collet lathe" that uses 5C collets, but I don't see any specs
hanging off either the lathe or the collet.  Why not boogie over to
the nearest library and look them up yourself in a Machinery's
Handbook?

John

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Dec 93 08:59:40 PST

In article <1993Dec20.144348.1@tntvax>, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Would someone who owns a collet lathe that uses 5C collets be so kind as
> to post the specifications for a 5C collet?

When I needed detailed information on 5C collets, I called
Hardinge Brothers, Inc.   They responded by FAXing a copy
of their engineering sketch ("For identification purposes
only") of it.   If anyone needs a copy, just send a SASE 
to me at the address below.   I also have their sketches 
for the R8, 3C and 1A collets.   These sketches are considerably
more detailed than the ones in their catalog.   If you
are *really* desperate I can FAX it to you.

To aid in identification of 5C collets:

Overall length:	3-27/64"
Shank diameter:	1-1/4"
Taper angle:	10 degrees
Outside Thread:	1-15/64-20
Threaded length: 19/32"

--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

---

From: Doug White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 19:19:33 -0500

Doug White
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

---

From: [email-masked] (John Wishneusky)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 15:28:52 GMT

John

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Dec 93 08:59:40 PST

Overall length:	3-27/64"
Shank diameter:	1-1/4"
Taper angle:	10 degrees