Subject: mokume

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 21:53:17 GMT

Hello again.
	A few months ago I posted some questions about mokume (the brass/ 
copper variety) and got many great answers and am much closer to creating 
this stuff.
	In the last few attempts, I have been able to get what seems to be 
fusion without the brass burning or oxidizing.  But I am still able to peel 
the layers apart without too much difficulty.  A book that I have seems to 
imply that this is the norm but every once in a while I get a layer 
that is much stronger and cannot be peeled apart.
	Now for my new question.  In all the vast internet experience what 
is the strength between layers I should be expecting?  Also should I be 
dropping the dull red hot billet into water?  Can this cause delamination? 
My reference says that this anneals the whole thing but I can live 
with hard brass and copper if I get intact laminations.
	Thanks in advance

	Rick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 21:53:52 -0500

Hi--my name is Chris Fuhr and I have some experience with mokume...
I have found that you should be able to 'hotwork' (blacksmith) the billet(s)
as one piece.  If delamination starts to occur,  I find that cutting off the
delaminating area is the only way to stop the split from continuing.
What are you using to control the temperature of the oven?  I would highly
recommend a computer-controlled pyrometer.  Strictly controlling the
temperature should cut down on the number of rejections.
I am in the middle of making some mokume myself and would be interested in
hearing how your endeavors turn out :)
 
Chris Fuhr
[email-masked]