Subject: Toolaholic needs help in crisis

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 1994 03:08:25 GMT

How do you deal with it when your emotional self wants a tool and your
rational self says you don't need it? There is an Atlas horizontal
mill for sale down the road. If it was a great buy, I'd have no
problem... I'd just buy it. But the price is just about what it is
worth, so it's nothing to get stirred up over. But my tool-a-holic
emotional self wants this mill, primarily because I don't already have
one. Also, it's cute. And it's in acceptable shape, and includes some
tooling. But my rational self says I already have a Clausing vertical
mill and a milling attachment for my 12" lathe. Most everything you
can do on a horiz. mill can be done on a vert. mill; I'll never use it
enough to warrant the investment and shop space. And it's a bench-top
model with correspondingly small table and movements, which further
limit its usefulness. But I'm waking up at night thinking about it.
Please tell me I don't need this thing!

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 21 Jan 94 23:45:27 CST

Greg Lewis ([email-masked]) wrote:

: How do you deal with it when your emotional self wants a tool and your
: rational self says you don't need it?...

Well, sorry Greg. From this corner of the universe, if I have available both
money and space, I'd fall for it like a shot... particularly if the tooling
is available or already owned.

If the tool is in good condition and worth the money, it is arguably an
investment, particularly if you keep it in good condition. Then again, when it
comes to buying a new tool, I can find a good argument in the most improbable
pretence. Mary, my wife, encourages me on the basis that it makes me happy...
God bless her (Idiot grin applies here...)

I know, it's not what you wanted to hear.

Or isn't it?

After all, if you *really* didn't want it you wouldn't have asked, would you?

*grin*

Tim

p.s. Did anyone else like todays "Calvin & Hobbes"? Mary was laughing her head
     off when she handed it to me this morning...
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (Matt Bushore)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 1994 16:46:10 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Greg Lewis) writes|> 
|> Please tell me I don't need this thing!

	Well, you really dont need it.  The shop that I work in just got rid of their
horz. mill on the basis that a vertical mill could do just about the same thing.
They do however have a right angle attachment for the Bridgeport, so perhaps
you should jsut get one of those to satisfy your need?
-- 
Matt Bushore

---

From: [email-masked] (f.w.kerfoot..iii)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 15:59:06 GMT

>From article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Greg Lewis):
> 

Asking this group of toolaholics about how to deal with your addiction
seems a bit like asking about your alcoholism problem at the local tavern.
Perhaps we need a toolaholics anonymous. On second thought I probably
wouldn't join, since I am having fun with my addiction so far. What is it
that they say about alcohol? You need to hit bottom before you seek help.

Frank Kerfoot
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Eason)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 22:03:18 GMT

>Please tell me I don't need this thing!

Stop the torture.  Just tell me where it is and how much.  Then I will buy it
and put you out of your misery.

Dale
dale.eason@.stpaul.ncr.com

---

From: [email-masked] (John Wishneusky)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 02:35:12 GMT

>Please tell me I don't need this thing!

First, I think you'll find a horizontal mill does nice work that's not
as easily done with a vertical mill.  Once you've collected a
reasonable number of sizes and shapes of arbor mounted side milling
cutters and slitting saws you'll be glad you made the modest
investment in a nice used horizontal mill.

But I'm not sure you want THIS horizontal mill.  My friend's got an
old Atlas and it's quite flimsy compared to my Benchmaster of
nominally the same capacity.  Make the rational tool-junky choice and
hold out for a good buy on a better mill :-)

John

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 26 Jan 1994 04:39:38 GMT

Greg> 
Greg> How do you deal with it when your emotional self wants a tool and your
Greg> rational self says you don't need it? There is an Atlas horizontal
Greg> mill for sale down the road. If it was a great buy, I'd have no
Greg> problem... I'd just buy it. But the price is just about what it is
Greg> worth, so it's nothing to get stirred up over. But my tool-a-holic
Greg> emotional self wants this mill, primarily because I don't already have

Fraank> Asking this group of toolaholics about how to deal with your addiction
Fraank> seems a bit like asking about your alcoholism problem at the local tavern.
Fraank> Perhaps we need a toolaholics anonymous. On second thought I probably
Fraank> wouldn't join, since I am having fun with my addiction so far. What is it
Fraank> that they say about alcohol? You need to hit bottom before you seek help.

 ... or blowing yourself up with one of those homebuilt hydro-flux
welders... or nearly fatally poising yourself with some toxic chemicals
... or nearly ripping your thumb off with a bad layout ... or just 
trying to make all the stuff that dreams are made of...

  EBo -- 

------------------------------------------------------
"I don't use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough." 
                                        --  M.C.Escher

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 01:27:30 GMT

Thanks to all who responded during my tool crisis. I am over it now
and think I have found the cure. I told my wife about it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Alden Hackmann)
Date: 27 Jan 1994 19:25:43 GMT

>and think I have found the cure. I told my wife about it.

That doesn't work for me, as we both work in the wood and metal shops.  
My wife would just say, "Sure, dear, but where will we put it?"

Alden