Subject: Crankshaft keyway repair- cutting a new slot

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 19:10:58 GMT

>>I'm working on an engine that has a damaged keeyway on the crankshaft
>>snout.  Some ying-yang who supposedly "rebuilt" this engine hammered
>>the harmonic balancer on, paying no attention to the alignment of the
>>key, and forged it out of the way.  This caused severe damage to the
>>balancer, and some moderate damage to the crank keyway.  
>
>	Build it up with welding rod and grind it back down?  I'd feel better
>about that than JB Weld if it was my motor.

I've been advised by most epoxy gu-ru's that it won't work- at least
not for long.  But I do not want to weld on the crankshaft either.
It's a cast crank.  

The advice that I think I'll follow is that which came from someone
who's been in this prediciment before:  He advises either cutting
a second keyway along side the existing one (making a key thru 
the damage, but flush with the surface) which is what he has done,
or cutting another keyway in the crank, in line with the existing one
(as sort of a secondary keyway) since there is room.  He assures me
that a dremel tool can do this......

I'll summarize once I get done trying it, but in the meantime, if
anyone has some good "machining" advice, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
-Eric

-- 
--
Governments that don't trust honest people with weapons, deserve no trust.