Subject: water-welder

From: [email-masked] (Ken Knaell)
Date: 24 Nov 93 18:49:20 GMT

re: Posting by [email-masked] on H2/O2 welder.
This posting was read with much interest since I have heard about such
a device from a previous boss I had worked for years ago.  A year
or so ago I saw a photo of such a device in a book and managed to read
the company name but did not find them in the Thomas register.
Do not remember the name anymore but could probably find it.
It seems like a good idea to me since it would probably not be too hard
to build the gas generator and use an oxy/acetylene torch head to
burn the gases.  Silicon rectifiers and the low voltage transformer
could probably be gotten at Radio Shack for the DC electrolysis
power supply.

When I worked for a glass company we used H2/O2 (from cylinders)
to weld platinum platinum/rhodium wire to make high temperture
thermocouples since it did not contaminate the metals.

ken

---

From: [email-masked] (James W. Swonger)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 22:08:35 GMT

I think an outfit named Henes is one of the main mfrs of these torches.
The setup is pretty simple. They add a bit of KOH to the distilled 
water. The hardest problem will probably be getting the gas fittings
for the generator; I was looking for them at the welding shop and they
had none nor idea where to get 'em.

-- 
##########################################################################
#Irresponsible rantings of the author alone. Any resemblance to persons  #
#living or dead then yer bummin. May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may inten-#
#sify this effect. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Billy!#

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Anders)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1993 05:54:47 GMT

Just a word of warning re "do-it-yourself" water welders.
We have one of these at my work and there's more to these than meets the eye.
If you are not very careful they tend to do nasty things like explode!
I don't think it would be as simple as you might think to make one of
these at home.
If there is interest, I'll check the manufacturers handbook of the one I
have here at work and post some more information.

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: 27 Nov 93 09:07:23 GMT

[email-masked] (Ken Knaell) writes:
: re: Posting by [email-masked] on H2/O2 welder.
: This posting was read with much interest since I have heard about such
: a device from a previous boss I had worked for years ago.  A year
: or so ago I saw a photo of such a device in a book and managed to read
: the company name but did not find them in the Thomas register.
: Do not remember the name anymore but could probably find it.

You can try Johnson Matthey, in West Chester PA (215) 648-8000.

Bill