Subject: FAQ part 1 of 4

From: [email-masked] (Jim Kirkpatrick)
Date: 1 Dec 93 09:25:42 MST

This is the FAQ for rec.crafts.metalworking.  It currently is in four
pieces to keep the overall size of each part below the limits imposed
by some news systems.  This is part 1 of 4.

A tiny bit of history:  there exists a group trial.rec.metalworking,
but few sites pick up the "trial" feed.  Also, the trial method of
group creation sort of died of neglect, so this group (rec.crafts.metalworking)
was created to take its place and become an official wide-spread group.

Many thanks to those who have contributed (in no particular order):
Matthew Jones, Bill Brown, Phil OKunewick, Tim Eisele, Steve Gaudio,
Stu Friedberg.  Also, I've been grabbing bits from postings and copying
them into the FAQ, such as book reviews and more addresses, so thanks to
many more!

Generally, units below are United States dollars, degrees Fahrenheit,
and all the other silly backwards units we Americans still use.  Sorry.

The questions being answered in part 1:

1.  The original rec.crafts.metalworking charter.
2.  The CLOCKS bitnet mailing list, and other related lists.
3.  What are some good books and/or video tapes on metalworking?
4.  Who makes good lathes/mills/etc?
5.  Where do I buy a machine?
6.  What are good magazines to subscribe to?
7.  Where might one take classes or get instruction?

The questions being answered in part 2:

8.  Where can I get raw material for my projects?
9.  Where can I get tools, drill bits, etc.?
10. What are some of the related professional/hobby associations?
11. How do I harden/temper metal?
12  How do I wire up this strange motor?
13. How do I deal with mail-order suppliers?
14. How to sharpen knives, chisels, and other tools?
15. Some safety reminders.

The questions being answered in part 3:

16. How do I drill round holes?
17. What's TIG and MIG?
18. MIG welding technique.
19. Which MIG welder should I buy?
20. Books on welding.
21. Soldering/brazing topics.
22. What are bolt grades?
23. What is XYZ made of?
24. How do I build a furnace or forge?

The question being answered in part 4:

99. Names and addresses of publishers and suppliers
    (OK, so I got tired of re-numbering it every time a new
    question was added!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  The following is the original rec.crafts.metalworking charter,
    for reference.

    Charter
    -------

    Charter -- REC.CRAFTS.METALWORKING

    The USENET newsgroup, rec.crafts.metalworking, is a newsgroup which
    discusses various aspects of working with metal, such as (but not
    limited to):

      machining, as on a lathe, milling machine, grinder, etc.;
      numerical control of such machines;
      welding, whether by gas, arc, mig, tig, thermite, or other methods;
      Metal joining, whether welding, brazing, soldering, riveting,
        screwing, folding, etc.  (this section was added during the discussion)
      casting various metals by various methods;
      hardening/tempering various metals;
      blacksmithing/forging;
      spinning and hammer work;
      sheet metal work;
      jewelry-making;
      purchasing and/or reconditioning metalworking tools and machinery;
      interesting projects;
      books on metal technologies and history;

    Example areas of interest:

      knife/sword making;
      automotive repair;
      steam engine (model/scale, though full-sized discussions are welcome!);
      art work, such as bronze castings and sculptures;
      gunsmithing;
      toolmaking, such as for woodworking, further metalworking, etc.;

    While the bulk of the discussion will probably be directed towards
    small-scale "home" shops, industrial/production discussions are also
    quite welcome.

2.  The CLOCKS bitnet mailing list, and other related lists.

    If you have access to Bitnet and are interested in clocks/watches,
    there is a CLOCKS list.  Send mail to LISTSERV@SUVM on Bitnet, containing
    the command "SUBSCRIBE CLOCKS your name".  Their "charter" is:

     Welcome to the CLOCKS Listserv list.  This is a new attempt at
     communicating information about clocks between those interested in
     ANY aspect of clocks.  To quote from the header text for CLOCKS:

     >  *  Clock/Watch Repair, Collecting, and Construction
     >
     >  CLOCKS is a discussion list dealing with any and all aspects of
     >  clock and watch work.
     >
     >  The list's primary goal is to discuss the collecting,
     >  construction, and repair of both clocks and watches.  Included
     >  also are topics on the history of time keeping, wooden movements,
     >  water clocks, antique and modern clocks, etc.  Of great interest
     >  is information about suppliers of repair and construction parts
     >  and techniques, information, books, newsletters, national and
     >  local associations.  Another interest is the use of clock/watch
     >  tools, such as the watchmakers lathe, bushing replacement, time
     >  regulation, etc.
     >
     >  The list welcomes the participation and contribution from anyone
     >  interested in the subject area, whether an amateur, beginner, or
     >  professional.

    I can't give you a cookbook approach on how to get to Bitnet if you
    aren't on it.  This varies from site to site, so you should ask your
    system administrator "how do I get e-mail to/from Bitnet?"  As one
    example, at our Internet site, we add ".bitnet" on the end, so for
    us the address would be [email-masked].

    There is also a Usenet newsgroup rec.woodworking that may be of
    interest to people who read rec.crafts.metalworking.

3.  What are some good books on metalworking?

   - How to Run a Lathe
     South Bend Lathe
     400 W. Sample Street
     South Bend, IN 46623

     This book is available from South Bend distributors,
     such as Blue Ridge, and/or Lindsay.  It was originally printed
     in 1914 and last updated in 1966, I believe.

   - Machine-Tool Work, by William P Turner and Halsey F Owen.
     1932 and 1945 (hence no ISBN number).  Some libraries may still have
     a copy, though you're probably out of luck for a purchase.

     Moderately good text, very good diagrams and pictures, especially
     of huge special-purpose machines like railroad wheel grinders.
     Suffers a bit from age, and seems intended for large industrial
     shops, but a good read if you find it.

   - Machine Shop Theory and Practice, by Albert M Wagener and Harlan R Arthur.
     1941 (hence no ISBN number).  Some libraries may still have a copy,
     though you're probably out of luck for a purchase.

     Fairly good text, more specific techniques than the Turner/Owen book.
     Suffers a bit from age, but still a nice instructional book.

   - Lathe Operations, by Richard R. Kibbe.
     1985, ISBN 0-471-89023-5.
     Adapted from materials originally prepared by the Engineering Industry
     Training Board of Great Britain.  Also in the same series: Milling
     Machine Operations, and Grinding Machine Operations.

     A step-by-step text with about 2 photos and lots of simple but
     usually-clear drawings.  Shows how to do most any common lathe
     operation (and a few uncommon ones) in as few words as possible.

     Check page 90 for what seems to be a man with two right hands.

   - The Making of Tools, by Alexander G Weygers
     Prentice Hall Press, 1973, ISBN 0-671-60924-6
     A modern book about doing things the old way.  How the artist/craftsperson
     can design, make, sharpen and temper tools.  May be available from
     Centaur Forge.

   - Machinery's Handbook
     A standard reference book for machinists, available from most
     distributors of machines or tools.

   - Clockmaking & Modelmaking; tools and techniques
     by W.R. Smith

     Mr. Smith has published other books on clockmaking, but this one
     covers more than just clocks, and is thus of interest to more than
     just clock-makers.  This is a collection of articles from the
     British Horological Journal, Timecraft, Model Engineer, and
     Horological Times.  The articles have been updated and expanded
     for inclusion in this 112-page coil-bound book.

     For a complete review, see HSM Jan/Feb 1992, page 14.

     Available from Gateway Clocks (see names/addresses section),
     $27 post-paid within USA (overseas buyers add $5 for postage).

   - Elmer's Engines, by Elmer Verberg
     available from Modeltec
     Has many very nice, and fairly easy to build stationary steam engines.

   - Model Locomotive and Marine Boilers
     [Argus Press, 1988, ISBN 0-85242-923-1]

     by Martin Evans (well known in the Model Engineering field, at least in
     Great Britain)

   - THE MACHINIST's BEDSIDE READER
     Guy Lautard
     2570 Rosebery Avenue
     West Vancouver, B.C., Canada V7V 2Z9

     (Guy's books are also available from other suppliers, such as
     Village Press, I believe.  J.K.)

     Contains: Working drawings and detailed instructions for making 15
     useful and practical machinists tools and lathe accessories; dozens of
     hints, tips and tricks to help get things done faster, easier and
     better in your shop; a collection of 2 dozen machine shop anecdotes;
     2 highly readable machinists short stories.
     Projects include: a sharpening jig for drill from 1/8 to #60, a
     swiveling base for a 2" Wilton vise, a graduated handwheel for
     the lathe leadscrew.........and many more

     THE MACHINIST"S SECOND BEDSIDE READER
     Similar in format to the first book; projects include: a small
     pantograph engraving machine, a tool maker's block, poor man's
     jig borer and a kerosene-burning blowtorch....... also a short
     story titled "The Bullseye Mixture" which details the method for
     barbon pack color casehardening.

     Other books and plans by Lautard (not a complete list):
     "Hey Tim, I gotta tell ya....' a mini Bedside Reader"
     "A Brief treatise on Oiling Machine Tools"
     "3.75' Diameter Ungeared Rotary Table"
     "Universal Sleeve Clamp"

     Lautard's targeted readership seems to be the home machinst.  I'm
     sure that much of what he has to say may be "old hat" to a skilled
     machinist with many years experience.  I confess that I am a rank
     amateur in machine shop practice (my only professional experience was
     as a part-time helper in a gunsmith shop where the machine I got to know
     best was the polishing wheel). The flyer I quote from is available from
     Lautard at the address I gave with my last posting.

     [reviews and typing courtesy of Michael Gordon]

     It has also been reported that Guy sells an index of some sort, either
     of all projects or all articles, in the back issues of Model Engineer.
     However, the index is reportedly hard to use.  See the description of
     Model Engineer, elsewhere.

   - The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and its Alloys,
     Edited by S. Wernick, R. Pinner, and P.G. Sheasby.  Published
     1987 by ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio.  2 volumes.

     Mentioned in sci.materials in response to a "how do I anodize aluminum"
     question.

   - Electroplating for the Amateur, by L. Warburton.
     Model & Allied Publications
     Available via Argus (see names & addresses section)

     Also mentioned, in rec.crafts.metalworking, regarding anodizing.

   - Machine Tool Practices, fourth edition, John Wiley and Sons.

     Covers a lot of ground and is the first-year book at DeAnza College.

   --------------------------------------------------------------------

   The following suggested books pertain to jewelry-making, per Sherry Lem.

     The Complete Metalsmith
     Tim McCreight
     Davis Publications, Inc.
     Worcester, MA, 1991
     Excellent, easy to follow techniques for beginning to intermediate levels,
     this is the revised edition which is much improved over the original.

     Contemporary Jewelry
     Philip Morton
     Holt, Rinehart & Winston
     NY, 1970, 1976
     Interesting design philosophy, techniques.

     Design and Creation of Jewelry
     Robert vonNeumann
     Chilton
     Radnor, PA, 1961, 1972

     Form Emphasis for Metalsmiths
     Heikki Seppa
     Kent State University Press
     Kent, OH 1978
     Perhaps THE book on anticlastic raising/forming, though difficult to
     teach yourself from the pictures and instructions.

     Jewelry Concepts and Technology
     Oppi Untracht
     Doubleday & Company
     Garden City, NY, 1982, 1985
     Most comprehensive guide on jewelry making techniques, 
     also contains gemological data, info on setting up a workshop .

     Jewelry: Contemporary Design and Technique
     Chuck Evans
     Davis Publications
     Worcester, MA, 1983
     Especially good sections on mixed metals (mokume gane, etc.).

     Jewelry Making and Design
     Augustus F. Rose and Antonio Cirino
     Dover Publications, Inc.
     NY, 1949, 1967
     Decidedly English flavor, very inexpensively priced.

     Jewelry Making Manual
     Sylvia Wicks
     Brymorgen Press
     Cape Elizabeth, ME, 1986
     Beautiful color photos, good technique instructions.

     Jewelry Manufacture and Repair
     Charles Jarvis
     Bonanza, NY, 1978

     Metal Sculpture - New Forms New Techniques
     John Lynch
     The Viking Press
     NY, NY
     Basic art metal techniques.

     Metal Techniques for Craftsmen
     Oppi Untracht
     Doubleday & Company
     Garden City, NY, 1968

   --------------------------------------------------------------------

   How about video tapes?

  -  New Life Video Productions
     P.O. Box 175
     Traverse City, MI  49685

     Several tapes with Rudy Kouhoupt, frequent author in HSM and
     other magazines.  Titles such as "Fundamentals of Machine Lathe
     Operation," "How to Cut Spur Gears," "How to Cut Threads" and
     others.  Price varies from tape to tape.  Production qualities
     seem poor (based on viewing the first title), such as poor
     and inconsistent audio, including a radio playing in the background.
     But you can safely ignore this and concentrate on what Rudy is
     trying to show you.  Seems reasonably priced for the material
     covered.

  -  Baily Craftsman Supply
     P.O. Box 276, Dept HSM
     Fulton, MO  65251

     One tape so far, "Greensand Casting Techniques" from David Gingery's
     workshop.  HSM seemed to like it.

  -  Colonial Williamsburg
     (sorry, no address at this moment)
     
     CW produces several tapes on blacksmithing, silversmithing, gunsmithing,
     and so on.  They show the "old time" way of doing things, but are
     reported to be excellent.

4.  Who makes good lathes/mills/etc?

    Who makes good cars?  This is almost purely a personal preference,
    though in general the imported machines (Grizzly, Jet, Enco) seem
    to rate lower than US-built machines (South Bend, Bridgeport).  However,
    the imports are usually MUCH less expensive, offsetting some of the
    quality issues for home shops.  It has also been reported that South
    Bend has been going "downhill" lately.

    There is some indication that Grizzly equipment is slightly better
    than other "Taiwanese" machines.

    One of the main complaints about Taiwanese machinery is the lack of
    replacement parts and service.  Grizzly claims that they keep a supply
    of parts on hand for all their machines.  The same factories appear to
    turn out Grizzly, Jet, Delta, and the "no-name" machinery.  A few years
    ago Fine Woodworking magazine published an article on this subject.

    Unimats are sometimes considered "toys" rather than real machines,
    though they may do just what you want if you don't push them hard.
    The Unimat PC may be a nice small CNC lathe; any experiences?

    Unimat, Sherline, and Taig are "micro lathes" in that the swing over the
    bed is less than 5 inches, and the bed is about a foot long.  Sherline
    and Taig are made in the US, and Unimat is made in Austria (and hence
    uses metric threads, e.g. in the spindle thread, which may be a pain
    to US buyers).  Sherline and Taig both use 3/4 inch x 16 threads in the
    spindle and can thus interchange accessories.  The Taig cannot cut
    threads, while the Sherline and Unimat can (with accessories).  Sherline
    and Unimat sell a milling add-on.  The Taigs come in unbundled kit form
    where you have to buy everything; they claim an overall accuracy of
    .0004 inch and have excellent parts and service, and also sell a
    watchmaking headstock.  Taig is the cheapest at about $250 to get
    started, about $450 for Sherline.  It appears the only Unimat now
    being sold is the CNC "Unimat PC", at about $750.  Unimat seems to
    charge quite a bit more than normal for accessories.  Just keep in
    mind that these are not as rigid or powerful as full-sized lathes.

    Harbor Freight sells a "precision 4x10" mini-lathe for around $700
    with autofeed, change gears for most english threads at extra cost.
    It is actually a 7" lathe which takes standard 2MT tailstock tooling
    and 3/8" cutting tools, and has Electronic Variable Speed (EVS)
    instead of changeable belts.  This is larger and sturdier than the
    Unimat/Sherline/Taig, and sounds similar to the 8" Grizzly except
    for the EVS.

    What can you do if you have little money?  Aside from looking at used
    equipment, you can actually build a lathe and other machine tools.
    Dave Gingery wrote an excellent series of books on building your own
    machine tools with just hand tools.  While it's a lot of work, you
    can learn a lot.  First you make an aluminum charcoal foundry, then
    a lathe, and finish up with a dividing head (five or six books later).
    Other authors have published detailed plans for making lathes.  See
    the publisher's catalogs from Lindsay, Cole's, Power Model, Tee,
    and Argus.

5.  Where do I buy a machine?

    Check out the Yellow Pages, the ads in the magazines, and catalogs
    from the "names and addresses" section elsewhere in this FAQ.
    For example:

      Blue Ridge Machinery and Tools, Inc
      Alley Supply Company
      Enco
      Grizzly

6.  What are good magazines to subscribe to?

    - The Home Shop Machinist (HSM), "dedicated to precision metalworking"
      Published 6/year by Village Press (see addresses section), $24.50/year.
      Note that many back issues are not available, though most of the
      projects are available in the "Projects" book series.  Mostly
      techniques, no steam, some gasoline engine projects, many tooling
      projects.  Probably the best of the US magazines.  Some projects
      will span several issues.

    - Projects In Metal (PIM).
      Published 6 times per year by Village Press, $19.
      Only projects, no advertisements!  Each project is complete in one
      issue.  A "weak sister" to HSM, apparently started in part to handle
      overflow projects from HSM.  Earlier back-issues have been combined
      into a new book series called "Metalworking".

    - Live Steam Magazine.
      Published 6 times per year by Village Press, $31.
      Mostly trains, some techniques, some stationary engines, lots of
      history and club information.  Usually each issue has one stationary
      engine and two locomotive construction projects in various stages.

    - Model Engineer's Workshop
      Published bimonthly by Argus
      Described as the British version of HSM, and similar to the
      tool-oriented writing in Model Engineer.  U.S. subscription rate
      is $38.  More "packed" than HSM, and features the uniquely
      English way of doing machining (e.g., spending hours to
      make a cutter to make the cutter for gear cutting, when many of
      us in the US would just order the gear cutter and be done with it).

    - Modeltec.  "Machinist Projects of Beauty and Usefulness"
      Published by George R. Broad, 12 per year.
      P.O. Box 1226
      St. Cloud, MN 56302
      Phone: (612) 654-0815
      $31 per year ($38 in U.S. funds if outside U.S)
      Similar to Live Steam but not restricted to trains.  Lots of projects
      for railroad cars.

    - Strictly IC
      (IC stands for Internal Combustion)
      Published 6 times per year
      $24.25 (+$2.00 US foreign, WA residents add $2.00 sales tax)
      Robert A. Washburn, editor
      24920 43rd Avenue S.
      Kent, WA  98032

      Concentrates on construction of miniature internal combustion engines,
      and has a few classified ads, usually for engine castings.

    - Gas Engine Magazine
      P.O. Box 328
      Lancaster, PA  17603
      (717) 392-0733, (717) 392-1341 (FAX)

    - Model Engineer
      Published biweekly, about $80/year
      Argus Specialist Publications Ltd.

      The king of model machining magazines it has been around for about
      100 years.  Varied construction articles, lots on trains.  Some
      projects can take years to complete!  Extensive back-issues are
      available from Tee (q.v.), and we presume from Argus since they
      publish it in the first place!

      An index to back issues is available from:
      G.V. Wilkinson
      129 Springside Road
      Hillcrest 3610
      South Africa
      The index used to cost 30 pounds sterling, and is reportedly
      much better than Guy Lautard's.

    - Engineering in Miniature
      Published monthly, about $30/year.
      Tee Publishing

      Similar to Model Engineer, more steam traction engines.
      Has an extensive collection of back issues of this and other
      model magazines.

    - Clockmaker
      Published 6 times per year, around $30/year
      Tee Publishing
      Discusses how to build mechanical clocks, with many projects spanning
      several issues.  Big names like John Wilding write in this magazine.
      Classified ads for clockmaking supplies.

    - Workshop Masters
      Published by Tee, ceased regular publication in 1991.

    - Horn & Whistle
      Richard Weisenberher
      2655 North Friendship, Lot #8
      Paducah, Kentucky  42001
      $18 per year.  Low budget, in that they publish anything people send
      in.  Some technology, some nostalgia, lots of stuff on meets where they
      get together and have "steam blasts."

    - Traction Engine Magazine

    - The Anvil's Ring
      This is the publication of ABANA (see below, associations)
      published 6 times a year; cost is $24 per year, or you get
      it as part of the $35 dues for joining ABANA.

    - Anvil
      Published monthly, about $30 per year
      See Centaur Forge, elsewhere.

    - American Craft (bi-monthly) (jewelry)
      published by the American Craft Council
      40 West 53rd St.
      New York, NY 10019
      (212)956-3535
      Current work in metal, clay, glass, wood, textiles, mixed media;
      featured artists, calendar of events.

    - Metalsmith (quarterly) (jewelry)
      published by Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG)
      5009 Londonderry Drive
      Tampa, FL 33647
      (813)977-5326, (813)977-8462 fax
      Jewelry, techniques, featured artists, current exhibits

    - Ornament (quarterly)
      P.O. Box 2349
      San Marcos, CA 92079
      Jewelry (metal and beads) and textile/fiber art 

7.  Where might one take classes or get instruction?

    This depends on several factors, mostly where you live.  Good places
    to check out include community colleges (universities sometimes will
    have classes in metalworking, but perhaps only for already-enrolled
    students or faculty/staff).  Sometimes a high school will offer night
    or weekend classes to the public, funding permitting.  Also look for
    vocational/technical schools, and possibly even art schools since some
    metal sculpturing requires a firm background in welding.  In a few cases
    there may be specialized schools in your area, so check your yellow
    pages or ask around.

    Some examples:  John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown NC
    (800) 562-2440, Craft Center in Ripley WV.

    Some schools also offer room and board and/or campground hookups.