Subject: Re: diamond files

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 31 Dec 1993 16:48:11 GMT

|> It certainly looks easy when you see it done.  A pal of mine does
|> this from time to time with 100% success.  He makes the file shape
|> in bronze welding rod (easy to work) and then plates that with
|> nickel.  I think that he said he used Watts solution ( a standard
|> electroplaters solution - get it from a tame local plater).

OK... I wana' play...

I called around and could find no one who would sell me some "Watts
solution."  But I did however find a chemical company who sells a
whole bunch of chemicals for the "Watts plating system."  Now the
problem is that I have not a clue which of the chemicals I should
purchase [and this particular company has a reputation for helping the
little guy 8-) at a big price |-( ] and I would prefer not to buy them
all just to play.

  The following is a sublist of their chemicals that looked "interesting":

    Nickel Acetate
    Nickel Carbonate
    Nickel Chloride Dessi Chlorl. 5 (?)
    Nickel Chloride (dry/liquid)
    Nickel Sulfate (dry/liquid)
    Nickel Sulfemate

    Hard chrome

    Acid Copper

  Are there any experienced platers or chemists who could expound upon
the different virtues of each of these selections.  How about their
toxcicity (sp) ?

  EBo --

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Richley)
Date: 31 Dec 1993 17:58:17 GMT

I just read an article in HSM about making diamond tools by
pressing diamond dust into copper tools with a ball bearing
or other hard steel implement. I think I have some old books
from Lindsay's which describe the same process. It's generally
the technique used for laps and grinding wheels. Perhaps I
missed something, but where does one procure diamond dust?

Ed Richley
[email-masked]