Subject: New Departure

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 21 Dec 93 10:22:00 GMT

I have a copy of a New Departure ball bearing design manual.  It's Part
II, with Part I presumably being roller bearings, since the ball bearing
coverage is quite complete.  The manual I have shows design and load
factors for automobile applications like transmissions, differentials,
and axles.

 I'd like to get the first manual, and an updated copy of the one I
have, which dates from around 1950, best as I can tell.  (no date,
address, or copyright information in the manual, but it was with a bunch
of other late '40s, early '50s engineering books I bought in a package
deal)  Unfortunately my 1993 Machine Design Vendor Annual doesn't list
New Departure, nor do any other listings I have, going back to 1976.

 Does anyone know what happened to New Departure?  Did they change their
name, get absorbed, or just go belly up?

---

From: [email-masked] (Erik Scott)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 16:42:11 GMT

> name, get absorbed, or just go belly up?

Just a few clues: About ten years ago I saw a couple of boxes of bearings
marked "New Departure Hyatt" with a GM logo above the name.  Makes sense 
that a maker of bearings for transmissions, differentials, and axles would
attract the interest of GM.  Probably swallowed whole. :-)

-- 
Erik Scott

---

From: [email-masked] (Erik Scott)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 16:42:11 GMT

-- 
Erik Scott

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill W. Martin)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 22:07:06 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dave Williams)  writes:
>Subject: New Departure
>From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams) 
>Date: 21 Dec 93 10:22:00 GMT
>
Hummmm. I think they ceased to exist a few years ago. Had to re-machine some 
parts of a roll-in saw cause the original bearings where no longer 
available. Bah, Humbug!

bill

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 01:01:40 GMT

>name, get absorbed, or just go belly up?
New Departure is (was) a division of General Motors and has (was) been for many
years. Just like Delco.  I have not used any of their bearings lately and don't
know if G.M. has stopped making their own bearings or not.

I suggest you check with one of the major bearing distribuator in your area.
Such as Berry Bearing, Dixie Bearing etc. Just check your yellow pages.
In terms of good design manuals I have used a very good one by Fafnir.

TIMKEN also has a very good design manual but of course if is for tapered
roller bearings only. (TIMKEN only makes tapered roller bearings.)

I got my copies for free many years ago when I was a mechanical engineering
student.  The data has not changed much and most of the sizes are
interchangeable between manufactuers. (That does not mean that the bearings
all perform the same in heavy service.)  We for example have much longer
life from TIMKEN's and FAG's bearings in rolling mill service that we
do from someother manufactuers.

Dave Smucker, ALCOA Flat Rolled Products Engineering

---

From: [email-masked] (Lyman Lew)
Date: 23 Dec 93 21:28:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dave Williams) writes:
><Some stuff deleted>

I've heard second hand that New Departure maybe out of business. I would
check the Thompson directory to be sure. American ball bearing industry
took a big hit these last several years when cheaper imported bearings
flooded the market. Some of the model airplane motors I've stripped
down that used to use Fafnir and New Departure are using imported
bearings from Japan.