Subject: Need sources for small drive parts

From: [email-masked] (John Cooper)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 19:47:44 GMT

I would appreciate pointers to sources for small (under 4") steel/CI/brass
gears, worms, bronze sleeves, etc..  Mailorder would be fine, as would
someplace more economical than $mall part$.  Apologies if this is a FAQ.

Alternatively, has anyone tried cutting gears with a flycutter and a tool
bit ground to shape?  Thanks.

-john

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 15:13:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John
Cooper) wrote:

> [deleted} 
I haven't done it but the video by Rudy Kohoupt "How to Cut Spur Gears"
shows him cutting an aluminum gear with a fly cutter. Also, in the HSM book
"The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos" Duclos describes how to make the cutting
tool for fly cutting a gear for one of his engines. Hope this helps!

---

From: [email-masked] (Colin Hinz)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 19:01:01 GMT

>someplace more economical than $mall part$.  Apologies if this is a FAQ.
This is going to sound completely daft, but have you considered using
Meccano/Erector parts? All of the gears, pinions, worms, collars and
other small machined parts are all made of brass with a reasonable degree
of precision. All of the parts have a 0.160" bore, which is #8 British
Wire Gauge. Prices range from reasonable to very very cheap (compared
with some prices i got from a Boston Gear distributor a while back).

If more info is desired (i have a supplier list already entered in) just
let me know.

- Colin

Colin Hinz             GE/GMU: (!)d-- -p+(---) c++(++++) l u(+) 
(705)EAR-JUNK                   !e- m+^2@ s (!)n+ h+ f* g-(+++) 
[email-masked]     w+++ t-- r(-) g+(*)@ y+(*)@

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Webster)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 23:09:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Colin
> >someplace more economical than $mall part$.  Apologies if this is a FAQ.

You might try hobby shops which sell radio controlled cars.  These cars
have dozens of different sized gears available, not to mention the
possible gear ratio combinations.  They also sell some pretty high
speed bearings for a reasonable price.

Bill Webster ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Shearer)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 14:52:06 GMT

>Bill Webster ([email-masked])

I just got a nice set of catalogs/handbooks from STERLING INSTRUMENT
516-328-3300 & fax 516-326-8827.  NO prices, call for quote.  Carries
Inch and Metric components: gears, shafts, bearings, couplings, timing
belts, chains etc....   hardware, motors, clutches.  Design data!

Steve  ([email-masked])