Subject: How do I restore rusted steel wheels?

From: [email-masked] (Tim Yoshihara)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 22:24:14 GMT

I have a 1971 Honda 600 sedan that I am restoring.

The stock steel wheels (10" diameter) are extremely rusted in the
tire bead seating area. The rest of the wheel looks good. The only
area that has major rust is the bead area. I have tried to find 
anyone that can put new rims on the old centers, but they don't
have any 10" rims. Also, I am taking cost into account. It may
be cheaper (and funcional) to go to a non-stock option. My first
thought is 13" wheels with low-profile tires. But, then I have 
to do body work to clear the wider tires.

Do any of you netters have any ideas as to how I should go about 
cleaning these up and making them usable again? I am also concerned
about safety. The welds and centers look ok. But, the rust/pitting
looks bad. 

Thanks, Tim Yoshihara

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven J Orlin)
Date: 6 Feb 1994 23:54:36 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>The stock steel wheels (10" diameter) are extremely rusted in the

[bla bla bla]

If you want the original style 10" wheels, then I don't have any advice for 
you, except to try foreign car junk yards.

10" wheels are a pretty common size for some trailers, and "off highway"
vehicles.   (i.e. golf carts, etc..)

I don't know about around you, but there are a number of wheel factories by
me that make all different sizes for tracters/ trailers/ other vehicles.

You may be able to match up something through one of those places.
They will also be able to fix you up with tires.

However, I don't know if they will be approved for highway use or not..

About restoring yours.  If the rust near the bead seating area isn't that bad,
you may be able to get away with just sand blasting, or bead blasting them
clean of rust.   This will leave a rough finish, and I'm not sure if a tire
will seat to that, but then you can smooth the metal out with steel wool/
wire brush/ polish, etc..

Also, painting the non rusted surface will increase the chances that the
tire will seal.

Good Luck.

steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Einar Sjaavik)
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 94 10:41:45 CET

> me that make all different sizes for tracters/ trailers/ other vehicles.

Austin/Morris Mini wheel rims are 10". But will the center fit? If the
original poster states the bolt pattern measurements, I will go measure
my Mini wheels. ( In MAIL please, as I miss postings here )
 
> About restoring yours.  If the rust near the bead seating area isn't that bad
 
Sand blasting will harden the steel. I would not do that to a wheel.
It can get brittle, and develop cracks.

My suggestion is Rust Eater + time. Most probably several times over.

Or, run it over with a torch welder with the setting way too oxygen
rich. With care not to heat too much, or the metal will go too.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Martin)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 17:55:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tim Yoshihara) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Tim Yoshihara)
>Subject: How do I restore rusted steel wheels?
>Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 22:24:14 GMT

Look in Hemmings Motor News, see if there is a "READY STRIP" shop in your 
area, and avoid sandblasting if at all possible. If your rust pits are too 
deep, the sandblast will punch a hole thru the bead area. The "READY STRIP" 
process is an alkaline chemical dip, which will not remove any non-rusted 
metal. I had this done on a very rusty Lotus seat frame, and was very happy 
with the results. If the pitting visible after cleaning the metal is not TOO 
deep, you can probably get by with powder coating, the pits will fill in 
with powder, and the heat curing will tend to flow the powder smoothly over 
the bead seat. If the pitting is "really the pitts", consider filling them 
in by gas welding/brazing, then turn the surface on a lathe before painting.
Any way you go, its a lot of work, but if you want "original" wheels, thats 
the way it goes.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Nemeth-Johannes)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 15:47:34 GMT

Bill Martin ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tim Yoshihara) writes:
: >From: [email-masked] (Tim Yoshihara)
: >Subject: How do I restore rusted steel wheels?

: Look in Hemmings Motor News, see if there is a "READY STRIP" shop in your 
: area, and avoid sandblasting if at all possible. If your rust pits are too 
: deep, the sandblast will punch a hole thru the bead area. The "READY STRIP" 
: process is an alkaline chemical dip, which will not remove any non-rusted 
: metal. 
If the rust is so bad that sandblasting may punch through, I would not
use these wheels at all.  A vintage racer friend had a wheel failure
because he didn't magnaflux the wheels, just cleaned up the surface
rust. The rust went 80% through and the wheel tore under load. Examining
it afterward was a sobering sight.  He had been racing on metal about
the thickness of your typical tin can, with rust making it look like a
real wheel.

Personally, I would look in Hemmings for a set of wheels.  When the car
was new, aftermarket alloys were quite popular.  I bet you could find a
set without too much trouble. They'd probably even be accepted as period
accessories, if you're into that route.

--

	Jay Nemeth-Johannes
	Hewlett-Packard VXI Systems Division
	Loveland, Colorado

	Mail to: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 19:59:48 GMT

> >to do body work to clear the wider tires.

We used to clean up rust by soaking in a solution of 1/4 dilute muriatic
acid (1 part acid to 3 parts water). It seemed to do a good job on rust
while not attacking the sound metal. Since cost is a factor here I would
(if the bead surface is still sound, just pitted) layer the bead area with
a strong epoxy then sand smooth (since the we are only talking about the
tire seal, not the rim strength). Most of the other options will be pretty
expensive.

			-Pete-

ps. Our perception was that the muriatic did not attack unoxidized metal,
	is this correct or were we courting disaster?

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *