Subject: Making diamond files

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 02:48:55 GMT

Does anyone know how to charge a piece of metal with diamond compound?
I would like to make various diamond carving tools and files to carve in
stone.
Is there a simple way to adhere the diamond?

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Stone 4915162)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 08:50:16 GMT

>Is there a simple way to adhere the diamond?

It certainly looks easy when you see it done.  A pal of mine does
this from time to time with 100% success.  He makes the file shape
in bronze welding rod (easy to work) and then plates that with
nickel.  I think that he said he used Watts solution ( a standard
electroplaters solution - get it from a tame local plater).

He has a small porous cylinder made out of an old grindstone.  It
is about 3/4 the size of a 35 mm film canister, and though `old
grindstone' sounds a bit rough, the finished container is beautifully
made with walls about 1/32 inch thick and a bottom of perspex glued on.

He pours the diamond powder into this cylinder, pushes the file blank
vertically into it like a stick in a bucket of sand, and lowers the 
lot into a small container of the nickel plating solution.  He has a
nickel electrode (sheet metal) that wraps around the  outside of the
cylinder.  The other electrode is the file blank.  For power he uses
one D size torch battery (1.5 V).  The plating takes 7 - 8 hours, slowly
building up a matrix of diamond and nickel.  

Hey presto!!  Diamond file.

Charlie Stone

.............................................................................
:                                                                           :
:                                                                           :
:        \--------------------------(^)--------------------------/          :
:                                 ___|___                                   :
:                                                                           :
: [email-masked]			     		    :
:...........................................................................:
:  Charlie Stone.                  : A Control Line modeller who has        :
:  Perth, Western Australia.       : retired from flying full scale Gliders,:
:                                  : prefers to use Imperial measurement,   :
:                                  : and likes the Australian flag as it is :
:..................................:........................................:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 94 13:57:34 EST

yes it's expencive considering the glue is the thing that wheres out use
lapaditary grit and glue kits designed for recharging lap. wheels.  my advice
would be to use a fordom
instead.
Signed Chris fuhr
po. 6143
lynnwood Wa.
98036