Subject: brass for clock project

From: [email-masked] (mwstimmann)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 22:10:58 GMT

This months issue of Home Shop Machinist begins a series on building a
pendulum clock.  I called McMurry Metals in Texas as suggested by the
article to inquire about buying leaded brass for the project and they sent
me a worthless list of brasses 8 feet long.  No ordering info and no
prices.  I'm not about to buy tons of brass to get ounces for a clock.

Any one have any suggestions for a source of brass for clock works?

[email-masked]

Mike Stimmann 
-- 
M.W. Stimmann
Statewide Pesticide Coordinator

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc Christensen)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 22:06:44 GMT

mwstimmann ([email-masked]) wrote:
: This months issue of Home Shop Machinist begins a series on building a
: pendulum clock.  I called McMurry Metals in Texas as suggested by the
: article to inquire about buying leaded brass for the project and they sent
: me a worthless list of brasses 8 feet long.  No ordering info and no
: prices.  I'm not about to buy tons of brass to get ounces for a clock.

: Any one have any suggestions for a source of brass for clock works?

Try you local metals recycler.
Here we have a foundry that deals exclusively in brass.
Check your yellow pages for recyclers or non-ferrous scrap buyers.
Some will sell to you some won't. Call and find out. 

Marc Christensen

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 14 Dec 93 17:03:23 MST

(Marc Christensen) writes

|>Try you local metals recycler.
|>Here we have a foundry that deals exclusively in brass.
|>Check your yellow pages for recyclers or non-ferrous scrap buyers.
|>Some will sell to you some won't. Call and find out. 
|>
|>Marc Christensen
|>

One point is that the article in question is quite explicit that
the brass must be of a specific type.  It must be at least half-hard,
containing between 1% and 3% lead.  Therefore, I would not recommend
recyclers or scrap dealers, as they almost always have no idea what
exactly they are selling.  They probably can't tell brass from bronze.

I don't have any good suggestions, except perhaps to call McMurray
and tell them exactly what you need and that their price list was
of no help.  You might also try some of the firms listed in the
FAQ.

Please let us know what you find out!

Jim Kirkpatrick
[email-masked]