Subject: any machinist out there

From: [email-masked] (Neill Mills)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 1994 21:21:00 GMT

I was very interested to see this News Group, some of us in
the shop have been talking about starting up a News Group for machinists.
There are 7 of us in this shop of 14 who are currently have Internet
access (logons) but not enough experance to start a News Group, so let me
know if this works.

        I work for the National Optical Astronomy Observatories (NOAO, or
Kitt Peak to those in the field) along with 13 others in there Instrument
Shop.  We build, maitain, and work on specific projects involving the
telescopes on Kitt Peak.  Our shop is primarily a Prototype machine shop
with a lot of R & D involved.
        I am an Instrument Maker (precision machinist) and CNC Programmer,
I also teach machine courses at the local college.  I work on the GONG
project for the National Solar Observatory (NSO).
        The Instrument Shop here has a number of precision Tree mills,
Hardinge toolroom lathes, larger lathes, grinders, Horizonal borring
mill, Sipp jig bore, MAHO 1000 CNC, compleat welding shop, and more
toys and tooling then you have ever dreamed of.  NOAO itself has mirror
cutting and grinding facilities, carpenter shop, print shop, photo shop,
electronics shop, a lot of computers (small to x-large), and all the
astronomers, technicians, scientist, and management you would expect.

        If you haven't figured it out yet, I do not work in the real
world.  I use to, but I hope I never have to again.

        We are looking forward to hearing from you and other profesionals.

        Neill

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Neill G. Mills                  |       I am not permanently loged on.
  National Optical Astronomy    |       I do check for mail 3-4 times a day.
   Observatories, NSO, GONG     |       So please forgive me if I do not
  950 N. Cherry Av.             |        reply right away.  Thank you.
  Tucson, AZ, 85726-6732        |
  (602) 325-9314                |       All opinions and delusions are
  Internet: [email-masked]      |        strictly my own.
_____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 4 Jan 94 10:55:48 CST

Neill Mills ([email-masked]) wrote:
: ... The Instrument Shop here has a number of precision Tree mills, Hardinge
: toolroom lathes, larger lathes, grinders, Horizonal borring mill, Sipp jig
: bore, MAHO 1000 CNC, compleat welding shop, and more toys and tooling then
: you have ever dreamed of.  NOAO itself has mirror cutting and grinding
: facilities, carpenter shop, print shop, photo shop, electronics shop, a lot
: of computers (small to x-large)...
: ... We are looking forward to hearing from you and other profesionals.

Welcome Neill. I think you'll find a very wide range of skills and knowledge
in this group - a lot of professional amateurs and I wouldn't be surprised if
we don't have some amateur professionals too :-)

Let me also be the first to say *ALRIGHT ALREADY, I'M JEALOUS*

There, that feels better. *grin*

Enjoy.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)