Subject: arc welders

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Owen)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 22:01:26 GMT

I'm looking for some basic information on arc welders.  I and a friend (who
has a little bit of experience with arc welders) are looking to do a bit of
automotive body work.  We've done some looking through classified ads to see
what we could find, and have been frankly suprised at the range of prices and
features listed.  Most of the ads don't have much detailed information about
the welders, and we've been forced to admit that we don't know as much about
the subject as we thought.

  Any help with the following questions would be appreciated:
What type of welder is appropriate for welding body panels?  I.e. what sort of
current, etc., should we be looking for?  Can we get one that runs on 110V or 220V,
or must we look into gas-powered models?  (which seem to be bigger and more 
expensive)
What is a stick welder?  (We think we have figured it out, but neither of us
had heard the term before.)
Ballpark ideas on what costs should be?
Brands to look for or look out for?

Finally, anybody looking to sell one that would be appropriate?

Thanks for any and all help.  I would appreciate e-mail responses, just to make
sure I don't miss anything.