Subject: Re: Pure Lead out of Old Tire Weights?

From: [email-masked] (Neal Howard)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 21:08:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dave Williams)  writes:
> I'll let you in on another secret.  This newsgroup is full of people
>who own thousands of dollars worth of equipment.  Lots of them will
>spend an hour or more using this equipment to make something they could
>buy at the hardware store for a dollar.  Now, why would they do that,
>instead of donating that money to clean up the Environment?  If you have
							      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>to ask, you'll never understand.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
;-) 

obMetal&Motos>> Denizens understand. 
>
>=======================================================================
>can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
>ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
>(Nazareth)               XJ900 TURBO at 15psi          DoD# 978 xKotFAQ
>=======================================================================

peace,
Neal
=========================================================================
Neal Howard     [email-masked]  CompuTrac,Inc. (Richardson,TX)
|355033|        Disclaimer: My opinions are mine, not CompuTrac's.        
DoD #686        "Fuzzy-Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy-Wuzzy had no hair.  
'91 XLH-1200     If Fuzzy-Wuzzy had no hair then Fuzzy-Wuzzy wasn't 
		 fuzzy, was he?"
=========================================================================

---

From: Doug White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 09:57:22 -0500

I've lost the original posting, but I just noticed that Precision Small Parts
lists lead bricks in their catalog.  They are the sort used for Xray shielding.
I don't kow how pure the stuff is, but I remember using shielding bricks for
bullet casting when I was a kid.  I grew up in Los Alamos, New Mexico and the
surplus yard had spare bricks fairly regularly.  The biggest problem was
cutting the bricks down into pieces small enough to go in my father's casting
pot.  I used to get paid 5 cents/hour to cut them up with a cold chisel,
which I suspect was more to keep me quiet than anything else.  I don't know
whether my father alloyed the stuff with anything, but I suspect that the
lead was fairly pure.

Another source for lead is building supply houses.  Sheet lead is used for
roof flashing.  The stuff comes in 1/8" thick sheets, but it may not be
particularly cheap.

Doug White
MIT Lincoln Laboratory