Subject: RFQ: small blades

From: [email-masked] (David Thompson)
Date: 1 Jan 1994 19:17 PST

I hope that this does not violate the usenet rules of non-commercial
use only! I'm not _selling_ anything, but looking to _buy_ a couple of
small, handmade blades. Thus this "request for quote" (RFQ).

	I do a bit of woodworking, and thought it would be neat to make a 
couple of letter openers (all of you sharp knife purists please don't 
cringe!) with handmade blades. I am planning on turning the handles out of 
some rosewood or something (first, I'd like to see if this is feasible!).
What I am looking for is about a 4-inch long, symmetric (leaf?) blade which
doesn't necessarily need to be razor sharp. It should be no larger than 0.75
inches wide, and have something like a 2" long by approximately 0.25" diam
(square or round) tang which I can epoxy into the handle. Material should be
stainless steel (if possible, I do not know all the possibilities, but I'd
rather it not rust too easily!), or you can make a suggestion. I would prefer
a hand-beaten look over a smooth and polished-to-death look. 

	What I need is a rough quote from someone willing to make these blades
for me. I do appreciate quality and I am willing to pay a fair market price for
this, though $hundreds/blade is out of my league (if this is what I can expect,
then someone please educate me)! Preference will be given to the earlier
respondees. Further specifications can be worked out via email to save
bandwidth. 

Thanks!
Dave Thompson      \\\|||///          [email-masked]
                   \ ^   ^ /
                   < O   O >    
-----------VVVV------- V -------VVVV------------------------
  One cannot attain the limit of craftsmanship,
  And there is no craftsman who acquires his total mastery.
                                  - Ptahhotep, c. 2350 B.C.
  But I can try!            
                                  - me, 1993
------------------------------------------------------------