Subject: Old Rosebery Vertical Engines

From: [email-masked] (Drew Diamond)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 01:23:17 GMT

At our home on the outskirts of suburban Melbourne, we have no "town" water 
supply. For our garden water we still use an old Rosebery vertical 
cylinder engine coupled to a three-piston water pump to raise dam water to a 
tank 160' head through 1000' of 1-1/4" pipe.  

I believe there were thousands of these engines made at the Rosebery
(NSW) works of the Westinghouse Company. They made (I think) 2, 3, 4 and 
6 HP units. Our 3 HP example is maybe 50 years old, and still gives 
reliable service. We go through about 1000 to 2000g of garden water each 
week in summer. It's my job to operate and maintain the thing.

Piston diameter is about 4 inches, with a stroke of about (from memory) 6 
inches. Usual operating RPM is about 700 to 1000. They were designed for use 
on farms as power sources for milking and shearing machines, pumps and 
home lighting (electricity) plant. The usual mode of operation is to 
start the beast on regular petrol (gas), then when it has warmed up a 
bit; switch across to power kerosine (paraffin). The engine is cooled by 
water evaporation from a hopper, mounted upon the head. One hopper of 
water lasts for about 8 or 9 hours work, depending on ambient temperature. 

Fuel is drawn from the tank by the negative pressure produced by the down-
stroke of the piston. A ball type check-valve keeps the fuel from flowing 
back to the tank. Carburation is by use of a "vaporiser". Down-stroke on 
the intake cycle forces open a diaphragm which allows air to enter a 
simple venturi, thus atomising the fuel and drawing the mixture into 
the cylinder for combustion. 

Starting the thing needs a bit of muscle. The exposed flywheel is 
positioned at TDC, then four brisk turns of the detachable handle should 
produce a pleasing "choof"- and off she goes. The flywheel key on the shaft 
throws the handle off and clear of the flywheel- a little bit scarry for the 
novice.

The three pison water pump is interesting too. Each of the three cylinders 
has a pair of stainless steel balls operating as valves. When the pump 
piston is on the down-stroke- the bottom ball pops up and allows water 
to enter the cylinder. On the up-stroke, the bottom ball seats down, 
and the upper ball pops up and water is pushed into the pipe. The three 
pistons are phased 120 degrees apart. Constancy of water flow is obtained 
with an air-filled reservior placed at the water outlet manifold.

Drew.			Telecom Australia Research Laboratories.