Subject: Post vises

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Dec 93 19:37:28 EST

Post vises, I love em.

I recently bought a 60 lb. five inch post vise at an auction for $35.
What a deal.  The bad news is the socket the crank bolt fits into is
missing its crown.  Is there a place to get parts?

Does anyone know any history or books about the history of the post vise?

I talked to a smith who said you can beat on them with a sledge and they
beg for more.

Too cool.

Billy Bob Sheldon

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 3 Dec 1993 20:09:25 GMT

The post vise is a traditional blacksmith's tool.

It is also traditionally "fixed" by the blacksmith when necessary (the most
common failure these days on an old post vise is broken spring and/or spring
clamp).

JK

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Foulk)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 22:28:02 GMT

>Post vises, I love em.

What is a `post vise'?

-- 
Richard Foulk		[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 Dec 93 12:58:29 EST

> What is a `post vise'?

They answer to "post vise", "blacksmith vise", "arc vise", etc.

The construction involves a 3.5 foot long (approx) hunk of iron which acts
as the stationary side of the vise.  The head of this size is usually four
to six inches in width and tapers as it extends to the floor.  This piece is
mounted to a table or other solid base near the top of the vise.  The "post"
is fitted into a socket on the ground.  The moveable portion of the vise
consists of an arm hinged on the stationary part about midway up.  The moving
part has a head to match the other and tapers to the hinge.  The moveable 
part of the vise is drawn to the stationary arm by means of a large bolt
(1 1/4+ in diameter) and the rod used to turn the screw is generally 14" to
16" long.  Thus, you can generate mega torque.  If you hammer an item that is
in the vise, the force of the blow goes into the item and then is transferred
to the floor by means of the post (the leg of the vise)

The "problem" is the vise pivots on the hinge, so it moves in an arc.  This is
a problem for holding large objects (maybe...)  I heard about one post vise 
that used chains and two bolts to eliminate this problem, I guess it weighs
around 200 lbs.  Not very mobile.

Supposedly you can buy one out of some catalog for $700ish, but I would look
for one at an auction or flea market.

Happy Hammering for the Holidays

Billy Bob Sheldon

---

From: [email-masked] (Ralph Snel)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 09:48:47 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bliss Bailey) writes:
[...text hammered away...]
> Incidentally, I got my vise at the Alabama Forge Council's annual meeting at
> Tannehill State park near Birmingham, Alabama,for about $50.00. It has 4" jaws,
> is heavily built, and is in very good condition.  The thing to watch for when
> buying one used is wear on the screw.  Too much wear will allow slippage.
> 
I bought mine at a flea market for the equivalent of $15. I think the jaws
are 6" or 8". I figure it weighs about 60 pounds. It's quite rusty (but
who cares?) and all the movable parts move. The only problem is the
spring that's supposed to push the vice open: it's quite loose and doesn't
do what it's supposed to (or am I misinterpreting its use?).

Any suggestions/warnings before I start using it (whenever I get time to
do so, and coal, and the steel I want, and...)? I was thinking of casting
the bottom in a block of luggable concrete, somewhere around 100 pounds or
more.

Ralph
[email-masked]