Subject: Steam question

From: [email-masked] (Tom. Adams 529-7860)
Date: 10 Jan 1994 17:41:04 GMT

A friend of mine asks that I post this question.  If you can
help, please reply to "[email-masked]"

Where might I find (free) technical information regarding the 
suitability of various O ring materials for various applications.
More specifically is an O ring of Buna-N appropriate for use 
as a valve gland seal exposed 100 - 200 psi steam. If not, what 
material is recommended?

--
Tom Adams				Southwestern Bell Technology Resources
Telephone:314-529-7860 	Fax:314-529-7573
Use this email address -->> [email-masked] <<<---

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 10 Jan 94 15:48:50 CST

Tom. Adams 529-7860 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: A friend of mine asks that I post this question.  If you can help,
: please reply to "[email-masked]"...

...but please post it too! Sources of information like this are always
useful...

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (William F. Kaiser)
Date: 11 Jan 1994 14:18:36 GMT

> as a valve gland seal exposed 100 - 200 psi steam. If not, what 

I got the following information from my local O ring dealer a couple of
weeks ago.

STANDARD MATERIALS

Buna-N Nitrile
The standard for most general applications: petroleum base lubricants,
hydraulic oils, gasoline, fuels, alcohol, L.P. gasses, water and many other
media.
Temperature Range: -40 to +275 F

Viton
High temperature toughness, stability and compatibility with a wide range
of fluid and chemical types including acids, oils, fuels, solvents and
gasses.  Available in green and rust colored.
Temp. Range -65 to +500 F.

Silicone
Compatible with a variety of fluids, air, oxygen, ozone, and other media
for extremes of low and high temperature applications.
Temp. Range -80 to +450 F.

Neoprene
Recommended for refrigeration freon gasses, carbon dioxide, chlorine,
ozone, sunlight exposure and for use as drive belts.  FDA approved for
food and beverages.  Odorless, tasteless, non-toxic.
Temp. Range -80 to +260 F.

Ethylene-Propylene
For hot water, steam acids, alcohols, alkalis, keytones, phosphate esters,
brake fluids, drive belts and exposure to oxygen, ozone and weathering.
Temp range -67 to +300 F 

Bill Kaiser
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (I can't believe I'm still using MS-DOS!)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 01:54:24 GMT

>suitability of various O ring materials for various applications.

I would guess that any O-ring manufacturer would be able to provide
this information with great authority, and probably for free.
-- 
=================================================================

                                ____
Michael Shiloh                  \ _/__        [email-masked]