Subject: I have lots of supplier information on file: HELP!

From: [email-masked] (Peter L. Rukavina)
Date: 5 Jan 1994 15:24:32 -0400

For the past six months I have been posting occasional messages to this and
other newsgroups offering to search our database of crafts suppliers for those
looking for particular materials, tools, equipment or services.  Because my
organization -- the PEI Crafts Council -- only has indirect access to the
Internet, I've only been able to offer this information through this indirect
e-mail only system. 

To date I have received 34 requests.  I am the first to admit that this
indirect email service isn't exactly the easiest way to use an information
resource (somewhat like being able to only read books by having librarians
quote passges over the telephone, I imagine).  That said, we do have a
pretty neat collection of information here: contact information for 5,000-odd
suppliers across North America, catalogs on hand for about 600 of these, each
of which is fully indexed by product and service.  The database covers all
crafts media -- from Candle Making to Weaving to Scrimshaw.

I'm looking for ways to make this information more accessible to a broader
audience, but I am limited by the meagre budget I have available to me and the
limited resources of our not-for-profit organization.

I've investigated and am in the process of seeking funding for a direct telnet-
accessible system which would allow any Internet-connected user to search the
database themselves, without any intervention by me.  This would require the
purchase of some additional hardware and software and a more expensive network
connection.  We have applied to CANARIE Inc. (custodians of Canada's new
public information highway) for funding and are awaiting their decision.

I'm currently investigating publishing our information on CD-ROM, in printed
form, or on floppy disk as well as offering the entire information base to
an existing online system for inclusion in their services (none of these has
progressed very far to date, largely because of either high up-front costs or
logistics; I welcome suggestions!).

I'd like to hear what others think.

Do I, indeed, have a valuable information resource, or is this sort of
information freely available elsewhere?  How can you suggest that I spread
this information around?  Would you be willing to pay for such information?
Can you offer other suggestions that would allows us to keep access free
while still supporting the service?

I welcome any comments.  Send email to [email-masked]

Thanks!

NB: Those interested in having me search the database for them are welcome
to send email to address [email-masked] with a description of
what it is you are looking for...

-- 
-- I am Peter Rukavina at the PEI Crafts Council, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada  --
  Telephone at work (902) 566-1584, fax (902) 628-8740, at home (902) 368-2871
     Electronic mail to [email-masked] or [email-masked]
>> I COLLECT INFORMATION ON CRAFTS INDUSTRY SUPPLIERS. KNOW ANY? LET ME KNOW! <<