Subject: Crankshaft keyway repair- Epoxy?

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 21:07:09 GMT

I'm working on an engine that has a damaged keeyway on the crankshaft
snout.  Some ying-yang who supposedly "rebuilt" this engine hammered
the harmonic balancer on, paying no attention to the alignment of the
key, and forged it out of the way.  This caused severe damage to the
balancer, and some moderate damage to the crank keyway.

I will replace the balancer and key, but I really don't want to rip
the engine out of the truck, and then replace the crank.  I was wondering
if anyone has a suggestion for repairing the crank snout keyway.
The half-moon slot it about "half gone" on one side, and nearly perfect
on the other side.  I was hoping to try some epoxy, just as added
insurance.  Does anyone know of a good Epoxy for this use?  J-B Weld?

The engine is a 454 Chevrolet engine, which is an externally balanced
engine (a big counterweight on the balancer), so the alignment is crucial.
The truck was brought to me because of the vibration.

Any advice is appriciated- Please cc me by email if possible.

Thanks,
-Eric

-- 
--
Governments that don't trust honest people with weapons, deserve no trust.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: 18 JAN 94 21:01:40

>insurance.  Does anyone know of a good Epoxy for this use?  J-B Weld?

I have used epoxy for a couple metal repairs. The cutter head of my wood
planner rides on a ballbearing which is mounted in an epoxy repair. And I once
repaired a gear shaft in a VW transmission with it.

There are industrial epoxys made for such use, whihc can be machined and even
used in bearing applications. they tend to  have 'industrial' prices.

Id try Devcon Plastic Steel. Its steel filled and in this application will only
be in compression load, so should be fine.

ron ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Webster)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 23:41:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Ron
> be in compression load, so should be fine.

Another type of epoxy good for this purpose is made by Loc-Tite.
It was around $12 for a small tube, but it's not effected by petrolium
products.  I've used it on a crankshaft where a chunk of steel was
thrown at the junction of the crankpin.  I've also used it to repair
a diesel fuel tank crack and didn't have to empty the fuel!
There are several glues made by Loc-Tite and I don't recall the name
of this particular one.  I only remember it dried a light grey and was
hard as nails after 2 hours of curing.

But, if you opt for the Devcon, keep your receipt.  This glue is not
a high volume seller and so it sits on the shelf for quite some time.
It hardens up in the applicator.  I ended up taking mine back to the
store and after trying every package of the stuff at the store, the
manager had to return the whole lot back to Devcon.  Now, that's not
to say the stuff doesn't work; just make sure it's fresh stock.  I 
eventually got some and it works!

Hope this helps.
 
Bill Webster ([email-masked])