Subject: Re: Blackening steel?

From: [email-masked] (Neal Howard)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 23:13:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bruce Lucas)
D writes:
>"The Home Machinist's Handbook" recommends coating the part with motor
>oil and then baking in the oven at about 350 degrees for 10 minutes to
>obtain a "hard, durable black finish".

I'll bet pizza cooked in that same oven afterwards sure would taste rotten.

---

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 18:43:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Neal Howard) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Neal Howard)
>Subject: Re: Blackening steel?
>Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 23:13:33 GMT
	Oppi Untracht's Jewelry book (sorry I can't remember the name only 
that its about 1000 pages (no joke)) says to coat the pieces of steel with 
oil and put it in an oven at about 550 for a peacock blue and then 
quenching in water.  I have done this with a small piece of mild cold rolled 
steel with olive oil and I got a light purple color that was fairly tough.  
I reccomend olive oil because when it burns it smells like somebody's baking 
bread not motor oil.

	Rick