Subject: lathe, mill, shaper - what value at auction?

From: [email-masked] (john haynie)
Date: 18 Nov 1993 19:11:46 GMT

A school surplus auction is coming up nearby this weekend.  Selling are B&S
surface grinder, tool and cutter grinder, Ammco metal shaper, Clausing hor.
milling machine, 9" Southbend metal lathe (and a lot more).  That's all the
info in the advert and no opportunity to inspect before the day of the
auction.

First question to the group - What are the approximate values of these
items, particularly the lathe and the milling machine.  I understand how
much this depends on condition and tooling but ballpark figures for the
basic tool in good condition would be useful.

Second question - What basic things should be (can be) inspected to
determine the overall quality of the machine?  What sorts of non-obvious
things mean trouble from the start?

I passed up a small bench lathe two years ago because the ways and the
cross slide had light surface rust.  I think that I probably missed a good
deal ($225 including a steel bench and a modest number of tools, holders,
change gears) for fear that cleaning up the rust was more than just a
cosmetic job.  Woodworking tools that I have purchased at other school
auctions have usually turned out to be moderately priced and in very good
condition so I am optimistic.