Subject: Electo-Plating

From: [email-masked] (Dan Wold)
Date: 30 Jan 1994 13:55:59 -0500

I'm thinking of trying to do electro-plating in my shop (on small
scale). Would it be possible to use my DC welding machine as a
power-supply?

I'm looking for info on:

    > Tank design (will stainless steel work?)
    > Chemicals necessary
    > Voltage, current and polarity
    > Safety precautions
    > Cleaning and prep-work routines

Also, I could use recommendations of books and other sources of info on
this topic.

Thanks,
Dan

=======================================================================
Daniel Wold                             Sysop: "WORLD CITIZEN" BBS
239 City Island Avenue                  718-885-2346 24 hours 14.4kbaud
City Island, Bronx, NY 10464            Internet: [email-masked]
                  Fidonet: Daniel.Wold@1:2603/503

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Northway)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 16:39:28 +1300

>scale). Would it be possible to use my DC welding machine as a

Stuff deleted.

>Also, I could use recommendations of books and other sources of info on

I have a book called "Electro-Plating for the Amateur" by L. Warburton
published by MAP (Model & Allied Publications), Argus Books Limited,
14 St. James Rd., Watford, Hertfordshire, England.

I haven't read the book thoroughly but it appears to be very comprehensive.

Hope this helps.

-- 
     Peter Northway        | Disclaimer : This is just my opinion. Well more
  Wanganui New Zealand     | like a tiny ripple in the fabric of the universe.
[email-masked] | Well would you believe just another beer break.

---

From: [email-masked] (Len Moskowitz)
Date: 3 Feb 1994 10:44:42 -0500

>scale). Would it be possible to use my DC welding machine as a

That's serious overkill.  Much electroplating is done with power
supplies putting out 12 Volts or less.  A car battery is fine and I do
some brush plating with two penlight (AA) cells.

-- 
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 1994 17:57:18 +0000

> some brush plating with two penlight (AA) cells.

Some of the nicest batteries for electro plating were the old zinc carbon
cells from a phone exchange. 1.5V on each cell, and as they were each the
size of a wine bottle they lasted for ever. AFAIK, they were rotated out of
the exchange on a time basis, rather than discharge state, as there always
seemed (in my youth) to be plenty of good condition ones around in the
surplus shops.

--
Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]