Subject: Annealing silver

From: [email-masked] (boris)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1993 09:08:31 +0000

Hi all

**Could i ask you guys for your opinions on the optimum method for annealing
  silver. At the moment i heat the metal to a dull red ,let it cool off a bit
  then quench in water. Now i seem to get varying softness of metal ,maybe
  due to the length of time i heat the metal .Maybe its better not to quench
  and let it cool slowly , so how long do  you heat for, and do i quench ???
  And how many times can i anneal before drastically altering the metal
  structure ?

-- 

        +==============================================+
        + /o o\    }                                   +
        +   v      }  [email-masked] {      +
        +  """     }  of LONDON ,ENGLAND        {      +
        +=="""=========================================+

---

From: [email-masked] (Neil R. Marsh)
Date: 21 Nov 1993 08:26:46 -0800

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

>   then quench in water. 

        Same as I do.  I don't let it cool off much at all, just until
the color starts to fade (in practice, long enough to move it from the
block to the bucket).

>                          Now i seem to get varying softness of metal ,maybe
>   and let it cool slowly 

        That anneals ferrous metals, so it's probably NOT what you 
want to do.

>   And how many times can i anneal before drastically altering the metal

        Considering the intricacy of older raised/sunk pieces, I
would guess A LOT of times.  
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Marsh  [email-masked] -or- [email-masked]  Chehalis, WA USA