Subject: ss chainmail/welding query

From: jory bell <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 1994 21:31:44 GMT

Basically, I am working on several chainmail projects and am in need 
of technical assistance.

I perused the FAQ, and while there was much geteral metalworking info
to be had but wanted to see if anyone had experience with my particular
type o' problem/process.

Specifically, I am seeking to close very small stainless rings 
(approximately 18-22 gauge) and cannot figure out how this is done. 
Ideally, I am looking to weld (not solder) the rings. Eventually, I will
be working in larger gauges as well. Is welding this type of thing
at all feasible/possible.
 
In general, I am looking for sources for info (books, other
publications, people-with-knowledge, etc) for this knowledge (welding 
small gauge stainless steel) and other chainmail fabrication technical
information. 
 
My previous knowledge (which clearly leaves a lot to be desired) has 
been limited to what I could figure out on my own and from looking 
at some (indistinct) photographs. I have virtually no experience with
soldering or welding metals (discounting electronics fabrication) so,
I am really starting fro the ground up. However, I have access to some
torches, etc (friend who makes jewelry) and would be willing to buy the
right equipment if it will get the job done right... Also, I've read up
some on welding. I've done several test pieces, first in a random
copper alloy (allergic reaction... ouch) with about 3/8" rings, then
302ss with much smaller rings (sort of a bracelet sized test square).
 
I thank you in advance for any assistance/guidance.

jory

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 00:55:18 +0000

I can't help wondering, with all this chain mail being made, if there
isn't some way of using an inductively coupled resistance butt-welder ?
If such a device could be produced, it would weld up these countless rings in
no time.

BTW - About how many rings are there in a piece ?

--
   _                              Andy Dingley
 /  ) ' ,_  _,  /   _ ) _/_       Codesmiths of Newcastle
/_ / / / / (_) /_) (_)  /_        [email-masked]
          (_)                     +44 091 230 1695

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: 17 Jan 94 00:23:29 GMT

[email-masked] (Andy Dingley) writes:
: I can't help wondering, with all this chain mail being made, if there
: isn't some way of using an inductively coupled resistance butt-welder ?
: If such a device could be produced, it would weld up these countless rings in
: no time.
: 
: BTW - About how many rings are there in a piece ?

Depends on the size of the ring, and type of weaving.  On a full mail
shirt - anywhere from a couple of thousand to well over 10,000.  Not
a weekend project.

>From what I have seen, in the SCA, only a few percent of the mail shirts that
are started ever gets completed.  It is just too effort, and time, consuming
for most people.  And, most of these are simple butted links - which goes
together much faster than welding or riveting.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Chance)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 16:04:03 GMT

>at all feasible/possible.

There's a guy in Arizona that makes chainmail shirts, coifs, etc. for
sale (sorry, I don't have his address immedieately available), and most
of his stuff is welded links.  He has several types of wire that he can
use, including stainless steel.  I believe that he uses some type of
jeweler's arc welder to close the links.  I've seen the rig once; a
side profile looks sort of like this:

  ----------------
  |              |-----|
  |              |     |
  |              |       ---  <= link to be closed
  |              |     |
  |              |-----|
  ----------------

The idea is that you stick the link between the two contacts, hit a
button on the top which closes the contacts on the link, and poof! one
welded link.

Anyone else have any more info?

--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: [email-masked]                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: [email-masked]
      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 17:18:31 GMT

>of his stuff is welded links.  He has several types of wire that he can
Looked to me like one of the "Sparkie" type fusion welders
These cost about $1800.
You can do resistance soldering for about $400 ??
Or a Little Torch for about $70 if you have tanks already.
If I was serious about doing LOTS of mail I'd go the fusion welder
route, much faster than messing with resistance heating.
Or you could make electrode tips for a regular stick welder,
and hook it up to a snap-action foot pedal to pulse it fast.
(again, resistance welding, not arc welding)
Just some ideas...
(I wonder how my fleet charger would work.. have to try it!)