Subject: Re: Fullers in Swords

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 20:49:39 GMT

[email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON) writes:
: 
: 	I have made one sword and am going to start on another soon.  My 
: question is this.  How do I clean and smooth the fullers in the blade once 
: they are forged in.  I don't have access to a belt grinder with a small 
: wheel attachment and I'd rather not spend much money for a new special 
: fuller cleaning/grinding tool.  Any help here would be appreciated.

I would rather NOT polish them.  I would rather leave the forging marks,
to show that they were hand forged, and not simply ground into the metal.
Just a personal preference. 

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 20:49:39 GMT

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Ralph Snel)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 16:17:03 GMT

> Just a personal preference. 
A matter of taste...

If you want a hypothetical cheap solution: get an old file with the right
curvature, remove the handle, and attach something so you canslide it
down the fuller. I haven't tried this, but it seems like something that
can work. Finish with sandpaper around a metal/wooden rod.

Ralph

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Medievalist)
Date: 29 Dec 93 16:29:35 -0500

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (David Hoopes) writes:
>>        I have made one sword and am going to start on another soon.  My 
>>question is this.  How do I clean and smooth the fullers in the blade once 
>>they are forged in[?]
> 
> Ok, I give up.  What are fullers?
>

        You've probably heard of them by the name "blood gutters", which
      is a common misconception of what their purpose is.  Basically,

        this    /\   is almost as   /\     which is much    /\
               /  \   strong as    /  \    stronger than   /  \   
              |    |              |    |                  |    |
               )  (              (      )                 |    |
              |    |              |    |                  |    |
               \  /                \  /                    \  /
                \/                  \/                      \/

	  These are all cross-sections of sword blades with "chisel" style
	edges.  The first has a single fuller, the second a single rib, and
	the last is a generic flat blade.  The ribbed blade is the strongest,
	but the fullered blade has the best strength/weight ratio.  Thus a
	fuller is higly to be desired; it keeps your sword from flopping
	about like a movie prop without making it weigh a ton.

	Charlie Brooks

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: 30 Dec 93 14:25:15 GMT

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Fullers in Swords
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

>	Charlie Brooks

Thank you for your explaination.  I had just about given up hope that
anyone would answer.  Nice ascci art too.  :-)

I am a blacksmith.  The term fuller is one that I have always heard used
to refer to a particular type of blacksmithing tool.

             \     /
              \   /    <-Top Fuller
               \_/
         ------\_/--------
                _           <-Work piece
         ------/ \-------- 
                _
               / \
              /   \   <-Bottom Fuller
             /     \

(Fullers are a little more rounded off then my ascci art shows)

Obvously, the (blacksmiths) fuller is the tool that would be used to make
a (Knife) fuller.  Isn't it interesting how words have differant meaning
to differant people.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 DEC 93 23:50:33 EST

Hi, my name is chris Fuhr you can reach me at walkermm's.
the first question is how much do you have to do after you heat-treated.  Did
you do a stress relieving heat-treat before you finished the first grind?
the Second question is what kind of blade do you want to make, a wall hanger up
to aGallery piece?
thrid are youlooking to do this as a way of life and are willing to buy more
tools or are you just making this one and may or may not want to do this by
hand?
Forth nice graffics i'd never have though to make those on the modem.
And finaly could you send me you r name, address etc... I'm putting a list
together of people who make blades etc...
also include your list of tools and experiences.
yours a novice cultler and experienced sculpturist.
 
It's my attitude because nobody else wanted it.