Subject: Damascus steel

From: [email-masked] (Joshua C. Ruedin)
Date: 7 Feb 1994 20:19:09 GMT

Does anyone know of a source for Damascus-type steel knife blade
	blanks? You know, the stuff with the patterns in it? It's really
	pretty stuff, but pretty expensive to buy as a knife...

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 1994 11:38:00 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> 	pretty stuff, but pretty expensive to buy as a knife...

I could find instructions on how to make it, but you need heavy smithing
facilities.  Mail if interested.

---

From: [email-masked] (william thomas powers)
Date: 9 Feb 1994 10:02:06 -0500

IN Article: 3959 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Clive Washington wrote:

>>faccilities.  Mail if interested.

This is not true. Heavy smithing equipment really helps and if you really want
to do large pieces I would say it is a must; but you can do beautiful
pattern welded steel in a very small set-up.  Last summer I took a billet
to 60 layers in a slapdash "forge" that someone welded up so that I could
show them the technique. It was 16 gauge sheet steel and was about 12"
square, no surround or table. We used a standard blower and charcoal that
was seived from the 4th of July fires. The anvil was a section of railroad
rail and I used a truly miserable excuse for a hammer.  It worked.

The frankish sword blades so prized by the vikings were made without
"heavy equipment".  Don't get hung up on equipment, Its the skill that
counts.

Thomas Powers
(who doesnt have e- out to his shop----yet and has learned much from it)

---

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 18:01:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Clive Washington) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
>Subject: Re: Damascus steel
>Date: Wed, 09 Feb 1994 11:38:00 +0000
	You can buy the steel in blanks and blades from sheffield 
knifemakers supply.  Also there are any number of smiths who make damascus 
to sell.  Addresses can be found in Blade or Knives Illustrated.

	Rick