Subject: Glass Bead Sandblasting?

From: [email-masked] (Bob Neidorff)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 21:41:39 GMT

I heard that the best way to remove old paint and rust from
steel is by sandblasting with glass beads.  Anyone done this
that can advise me?  I want to repaint steel which has some
rust and some paint on it.

Thanks!

-- 
Bob Neidorff; Unitrode I. C. Corp.  |  Internet: [email-masked]
7 Continental Blvd.                 |  Voice   : (US) 603-424-2410
Merrimack, NH  03054-0399 USA       |  FAX     : (US) 603-424-3460

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M Rezsutek)
Date: 15 Dec 1993 16:24:17 GMT

[email-masked] (Bob Neidorff) writes:

I've done some of this on old radiators, and also used it to clean up some
stainless after sil-brazing.  I found that the glass beads do a really
nice job, and leave a good finish, but they are 1) slow and 2) expensive.

For just gross removal of "stuff", ground glass was much quicker and
cheaper, but it does leave a rough finish.  A final pass with fine beads
made it look better.  I didn't get *too* pickey with the radiators, since
they were going to be painted again anyhow.

For what it's worth, 

Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Kish)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 18:53:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bob
Neidorff) writes:
|> 
|> I heard that the best way to remove old paint and rust from
|> steel is by sandblasting with glass beads.  Anyone done this
|> that can advise me?  I want to repaint steel which has some
|> rust and some paint on it.
|> 
|> Thanks!
|> 
|> -- 
|> Bob Neidorff; Unitrode I. C. Corp.  |  Internet: [email-masked]
|> 7 Continental Blvd.                 |  Voice   : (US) 603-424-2410
|> Merrimack, NH  03054-0399 USA       |  FAX     : (US) 603-424-3460

 Glass beading is a very nice way to clean up small parts. 
The parts should not be too heavily painted or rusted.

 For blast cabinets, beads, etc, contact: 

   TiP Sandblast equipment
   1-800-321-9260 

 And ask for a catalog.

			-BK

---

From: [email-masked] (Iain Woolf)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 11:29:34 GMT

>rust and some paint on it.

When I had some parts blast cleaned for my kitcar not so long ago, the
guy who did told me that certainly with the granularity of media he
used, glas beads weren't that abrasive, but do leave a nice finish on
the work (microscopically like the surface of a golfball). For removal
of heavy rust, you need an abrasive media like Aluminium Oxide (or
Aluminum Oxide for those in the US :-)

Incidentally, the same guy showed me an excellent trick which I used
on my car horn. This will only work with metals harder than brass.
After having some metal part cleaned up by (abrasive) blasting, buff
it up with a brass wire brush (suede shoe brushes are ideal). Because
the surface of the work is quite rough and the metal is harder than
your brass wire brush (remember), the piece you are working on acts
like sandpaper to the brush and you end up with a very nice
brass/golden coloured "sheen" to the work. When you are happy with the
coverage, fully coat the work in clear lacquer.  Failuer to lacquer it
will result in speedy rusting of your work (assuming iron content) due
to preferential rusting since the brass is more anodic.

Cheers,

        Iain.
-- 
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Iain Woolf, BNR, Maidenhead UK | My opinions are my opinions    /~\__
 (0628) 794537     esn 590-4537 | [email-masked]    ^^             O -- O
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------