Subject: Little Torch Gas Pressure

From: [email-masked] (JOSEPH A. ZELINSKI)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 1994 00:58:53 GMT

Happy New Year to ALL!
    On Christmas Day, Neil March wrote in asking about gas pressures for
   various orifice sizes on the Tescom/Smith Little Torch. The literature
   included with my torch had the following data, in addition to instructions
   for hose replacement, Flame adjustment and safety tips.

    TIP  | orifice |  GAS PRESSURE |  CONSUMPTION
    SIZE | size(") |    (P.S.I)    |     C.F.H.
         |         |  O2     FUEL  |   (each gas)
     1   | .003    |  5       5    |     .023
     2   | .006    |  6       5    |     .087
     3   | .011    |  6       5    |     .215
     4   | .020    |  8       6    |    1.625
     5   | .029    |  11      8    |    2.540
     6   | .037    |  14      9    |    4.000

      In addition to these tips, I have also acquired a multi-orifice (rosebud)
    tip which I operate at the same settings as #6. No consumption data. The
    settings listed above are apparently appropriate for all of the fuel gasses
    that the Little Torch was designed for... Acetylene, Hydrogen,Propane,
    Propylene, & MAPP. Presumably, this would also include APACHE mixture as
    well.   I hope this is helpful.

                                             Cheers, and PEACE in '94 for ALL!
                                                               Joe.

---

From: [email-masked] (Neil R. Marsh)
Date: 31 Dec 1993 22:36:11 -0800

>       Happy New Year to ALL!
[synopsis of my original post deleted]
>     SIZE | size(") |    (P.S.I)    |     C.F.H.

        Many thanks, Joe.  That's exactly what I needed.  (I picked 
the torch up second-hand with only the #5 tip and hoses.  No docs, no 
nuttin' else.)  This one gets printed and tacked up on the shop wall.

        Happy New Year, all!

Cheers!
Neil
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Marsh  [email-masked] -or- [email-masked]  Chehalis, WA USA
My account                        My PC                       My opinion

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Shearer)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 16:37:43 GMT

>    SIZE | size(") |    (P.S.I)    |     C.F.H.
To add a few more notes on the subject, I should add I don't have the torch, just
dreams...
It is made by:
Tescom Corp / Smith Equipment Div
2601 Lockheed Ave
Watertown, SD 57201
(605) 662-3200
(800) 328-3363
(605) 882-2100 FAX

I pulled up the calalog on the microfilm system at work, much more options are
shown then I have seen in any catalogs (Cole-Parmer or Paul H. Gesswein & Co).
In the "tips" section, size 1 and 2 are for O2 and (acetylene or hydrogen only)
and show O2/fuel at 2 psi.  Tip 3 and 4 are at 4 psi, tip 5 and 6 are at 6 psi,
and tip 7 at 8 psi.  Tips 3-7 can be used with O2/(acetylene, hydrogen, MAPP,
propane, propylene).  Other tips are avaiable for compressed air/fuel mix and
atmospheric air/acetylene mix, too.

BTW: Gesswein shows a $75 price for the torch/hoses...

								Steve