Subject: Coin Stamping/Photographic Etching..

From: [email-masked] (Nick Haas)
Date: 13 Jan 1994 14:49:39 -0500

I am looking for some information on making dies (sp?) to stamp coins with..
I am not sure even if you would call them dies though.. I dont know 
ANYTHING about this really (thus looking for info).. The dies are small
metal cylinders of tempered steel I believe.. I am looking for the 
process involved in actually creating the image that gets stamped.. There
must be some newer ways to do this.. In the past, photographic line-art
negatives were used along with hydrochloric acid I believe to eat-into the
metal to make the image..  I am looking for a newer way to do this (lasers?)
or anything really, even information about the old way.. I need to dig into
the metal about 4/1000's, safely.. (no carcinogens!)  If anyone could tell
me where to look for this sort of equipment or anything remotely associated
with coin making/stamping, please reply here or e-mail me.. Thanks...

Nick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Jan 94 18:47:19 PST

> I am not sure even if you would call them dies though.. I dont know 

At the New Year's eve party I attended, I spent several hours
talking with a guy who does exactly that.   Unfortunately, I
do not know his name or how to contact him.

He said that he uses a 6X size master and a pantograph
engraver.   It takes *many* passes (and hours) to make a
master die.   Recently, he has begun using EDM to rough 
out the blank before doing the finish engraving.

I'm sorry that I can't remember more.   If I can find
out how to contact him, I will let you know.

--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Nye)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 1994 15:39:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Nick Haas) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Nick Haas)
>Subject: Coin Stamping/Photographic Etching..
>Date: 13 Jan 1994 14:49:39 -0500

>Nick

At a trade show a couple of years ago, I talked to someone at a company in 
Michigan which did photo-chemical etching.  They did things like etching 
the markings into steel scales and put through holes in very delicate 
patterns in shim-stock.

Unfortunately I lost their name.  Someone else may know who I'm describing, 
or you might find them in Thomas register under photo-chemical machining or 
something like that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Nye                                       "I don't think so Tim"
University of Waterloo