Subject: Afghan Rifles

From: [email-masked] (Michael A. Shaffer)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 18:15:23 GMT

I have heard that the Afghan rebels built their own rifles with very
little in the way of tools. The question that has always bothered me
however is how did they rifle the barrels. Does anyone have any
insight?

				mike

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 4 Feb 94 20:38:22 GMT

> however is how did they rifle the barrels. Does anyone have any

There is a video put out by Colonial Williamsburg that slows how a rifle is
built using 17th century technology.  It shows the forging and rifling of
the barrels.  See if your library has it, or can get it for you.

JK

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Ball)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 01:12:59 GMT

John Kopf, X6305 ([email-masked]) wrote:

& There is a video put out by Colonial Williamsburg that slows how a rifle is
& built using 17th century technology.  It shows the forging and rifling of
& the barrels.  See if your library has it, or can get it for you.

This is an amazing video.  They started with:  a tree, a brick of iron, a
lump of brass, some spring steel sheet, hacksaw blades, and files.  From
this they could make a rifle.  It took weeks.

--
Frank Ball   1UR-M          [email-masked]    (707) 794-4168 work,
Hewlett Packard             (707) 794-3844 fax,  (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive     IT175, XT350, Seca 750, '62 F-100, PL510
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999  KC6WUG, LAW, AMA, Dod #7566, NMLRA, NRA.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael A. Shaffer)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 17:54:46 GMT

>& There is a video put out by Colonial Williamsburg that slows how a rifle is

Does anyone have an address?

				mike