Subject: Re: Arc Welding Glass Shades

From: [email-masked] (Scott Cannoy)
Date: 3 Dec 93 04:42:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Dion Hollenbeck <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have a MIG welder and find that although I can see right where I am
>welding, I have a hard time seeing "the lay of the land" and where I
>am going or have come from.  I am currently using a shade 10 arc
>welding glass in my helmet.
>
>I have been told that the glass itself, regardless of shade, will
>filter out the harmful UV, and all the darkness does is keep you from
>"seeing stars".  Can I go to a shade 9 or 8 and still be safe and see
>better as well?

If you are using the smaller diameter MIG wires (.023-.030) going to the
lighter shade will probably help. I wouldn't go any lighter than a #8.

Shade #10 is "average" lens used for most welding processes, but can be
adjusted up or down accoring to operator preference (comfort?).

Scott Cannoy

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 19:58:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
>welding glass in my helmet.  I have thought of using extremely bright
>lights in my welding area (halogen bulbed goose neck lamps to be
>exact), but this introduces more stuff getting in the way.  
>
>Anybody have any other ideas?

If you see spots after a few seconds of welding, you should move up to the
next shade.  If your eyes are more sensitive than average you may need a
darker shade.  When I took a welding class I found myself using an 11
when others were using a 10.  Also, a large window helmet with a gold
filter helps a lot!  The gold plastic filter changes the color of the
arc and adds contrast.

The new electronic helmets are very nice.  The filter is somewhat more
transparent until the arc hits it, causing it to darken.  Some will vary
the amount of darkening.  They are very nice for delicate TIG welding, but
they cost about $200.

You are right though -- it is dark.  I found that after some practice I
could do a good job.  Using a light or working in bright sunlight helps.
Get your bearings before you drop your hood.  Learn to drop the hood with
a nod of your head instead of using your hand.  This way you can position
both hands with the helmet up and you can strike the arc in the correct
place.  Sometimes I will make marks with soap stone to indicate where I
want to stop.  I can usually see these while welding.  Use the edge of
your welding table or another piece of steel to guide your hands.  When
using a cutting torch I will often make a line of punch marks to follow.

Good luck!

-- 
Steve Hampson                                503 222 9571
Blue Sky Research                            800 622 8398
534 SW 3rd Avenue                       fax  503 222 1643
Portland, OR  97204

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry Sommer)
Date: 6 Dec 93 04:47:08 GMT

I've heard that those majic helmets the ones that darken when the
arc starts don't allways draken fast enogh or dark enough.  I've heard of
poeple that spent all day weldinga ll their life complaining about eye
burna fter using them. They also had troble with the bateries dieng down. 
Does anyone out there have simaler stories.
	If you get a good light to shine on the peice it will be one of
the biggest helps in the world.  There is no way to weld is you can't see.
I can't do anything without a helmet because i just plain can't see what
I'm doing.  The only problem from a bright light is when it reflects in
your lens.

--
        Henry Sommer               Mechanical Engineering student
        [email-masked]   Georgia Institute of Technology

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Covington)
Date: 10 Dec 1993 04:42:01 GMT

If you want a really bright light on your work, you might try using
photoflood bulbs, available at camera stores.  They're cheap and fit
ordinary sockets (which should be ceramic for heatproofing).
The life of a bulb is about 6 hours.

-- 
< Michael A. Covington, Assc Rsch Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Programs >
< The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30606-7415 USA    [email-masked] >
<>< ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ><>
< For info about U.Ga. degree programs, email [email-masked] (not me) >

---

From: [email-masked] (Jack Mcbryde)
Date: 10 Dec 1993 05:05:26 GMT

>The life of a bulb is about 6 hours.

They come in 250 and 500 watt versions. Given a 6 hour life they are a tad
on the expensive side. Some of the inexpensive 500 watt halogen lamps
(perhaps modified) might be a more inexpensive option in the long run.

jack
--
jack      [email-masked]           * All I ask of Thee, Lord
* Christ died for our sins.  Dare we    * Is to be a drinker and fornicator
* make his martyrdom meaningless by     * An unbeliever and a sodomite
* not committing them? - Jules Feiffer  * And then to die. - Claude de Chauvigny