Subject: Re: Welder choice for auto welding

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 30 Jan 94 17:28:00 GMT

-> Be very careful where you decide to use braze on a car.  It cracks
-> very easily, and shouldn't be used in any area which absorbs
-> vibrations.
-> It is also not as strong as weld.
->
-> I've only had bad experiences with braze --except making lanterns :)

 Something's wrong with your technique.

 At least half of the British motorcycles ever made had their frames
brazed together - Norton, Triumph, BSA, and Royal Enfield all did it -
back fifty years ago the US Crosley car company built engine blocks by
brazing together pieces - brazing is also used to hold together some
modern tube-frame racing cars.

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 13:34:11 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Dave Williams" writes:
> brazed together

True, but there is a big difference between a brazed joint in butted & lugged
tube, and one in thin sheet steel. I wouldn't rely on brazed joints in car
bodywork, although I *might* use it to fill holes between gas tack welds.

-- 
Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Haley)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 15:45:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Dave Williams)  writes:
|> 
|> -> Be very careful where you decide to use braze on a car.  It cracks
|> -> very easily, and shouldn't be used in any area which absorbs
|> -> vibrations.
|> -> It is also not as strong as weld.
|> ->
|> -> I've only had bad experiences with braze --except making lanterns :)
|> 
|>  Something's wrong with your technique.
|> 
|>  At least half of the British motorcycles ever made had their frames
|> brazed together - Norton, Triumph, BSA, and Royal Enfield all did it -
|> back fifty years ago the US Crosley car company built engine blocks by
|> brazing together pieces - brazing is also used to hold together some
|> modern tube-frame racing cars.
|>                                                                                                              

I have to second this - brazing, if done properly, can actually EXCEED the
strength of standard welds.  There have been reports where brazed joints have
been pull-tested in the 80K PSI range, and most standard arc joints are in the
70K PSI range.

It's not the best idea to braze thick metal sections together, but for the
original application stated in this thread (patching floorboards), it works quite
well.  Brazing really shines when lap-jointing sheet metal, and this is exactly
what patching floorboards entails.

Bruce
-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Signature file ?  We don' need no stinking signature file !!"