Subject: Really small compressors

From: [email-masked] (Bob Maccione)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 09:15:07

Yep, just another newbee here, I'm sorry in advance if the following 
question is incorrect for this group, but this group seems to talk more
about compressors.

  I'm looking for the smallest usable compressor for doing the following:

  a: a little sandblasting
  b: a little painting
  c: pump up the tires
  d: maybe run a few air tools

  You'll notice that the key word is 'a little' in that this isn't a fulltime 
hobby and I'm sorry to say that I can't give up the garage space for 
a large compressor.  I really don't mind it taking a little longer to 
sandblast something as long as it can be done.  

Thanks,
bob maccione
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 2 Dec 93 15:58:42 CST

Bob Maccione ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm looking for the smallest usable compressor for doing the following...
: a little sandblasting, a little painting, pump up the tires, maybe run a few
: air tools

I have no idea on the requirement for sandblasting; I'm guessing that it is
not that much worse than painting (stands back and waits for a wave of
"no, no, you fool, sandblasting and painting are worst of all...)

Pumping tyres is trivial. I *think* (and will doubtless be proved wrong) that
the type of tool(s) you might run would determine the capacity you need.
As I recall my "jitterbug sander" has the most voracious appetite of all my
air tools. Look around at the boxes for the tools and stuff you will buy (or
already have or look like the second hand things you might try and get) and
look at the capacity requirement in CFM/PSI. Then go and look at the
capabilities of compressors.

In terms of physical size the difference between a 5HP "portable" with a
reasonable CFM/PSI is not that significant with a 2.5/3.5 HP with much less
capacity. Power requirements may also be an issue, since a 5HP compressor that
needs a 20A 220V service is not quite as portable as something that will run
from a 15 or 20A 110V service, purely because of power service accessibility.

My $0.02 worth...

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 5 Dec 93 17:54:10 CST

Tim Kirby (Me!) ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Bob Maccione ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : I'm looking for the smallest usable compressor for...
:
: I have no idea on the requirement for sandblasting; I'm guessing that it is
: not that much worse than painting (stands back and waits for a wave of
: "no, no, you fool, sandblasting and painting are worst of all...)

And of course have been corrected already. Let me forestall any more by
"genericizing" (?!) my response to "go and look at the sort of tools you
think you may use and look up their requirements". Don't forget that you need
to find out how many SCFM you need *at what pressure*. Also remember that
the quoted numbers appear (by my experience) to be optimistic. I gather a
sandblaster may call for 20 (or more) SCFM (unknown pressure requirement)

Sorry for the misinformation. At least I was honest about not knowing before
I gave it :-)

*sigh*...

Tim