Subject: Source for Hollow Metal Spheres?

From: [email-masked] (Len Moskowitz)
Date: 4 Dec 1993 20:46:08 -0500

Does anyone have a source for hollow metal spheres around an inch or so
in diameter?  I'm thinking of spun or machined aluminum though other
metals, plastics or composites would also be fine.

-- 
Len Moskowitz
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Roe)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 10:53:00 GMT

>metals, plastics or composites would also be fine.

Table tennis balls?

-- 
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 4104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. HP2 7RH, UK    E-mail :  [email-masked] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob Pauley)
Date: 15 Dec 1993 08:17:16 -0500

>Len Moskowitz ([email-masked]) wrote:
> 

I don't know your application, but for radar calibration, such spheres are
available.  They are usually spun aluminum.  For the smaller sizes, though,
they may be some kind of ball which has been metalized.  If you're
interested, I can get you some addresses.  They won't be extremely cheap.
One time, we had ping pong balls metalized by the Microelectronics Lab
(sputtered or evaporated gold) for calibration reflectors.

Rob Pauley    [email-masked]

-- 
Rob Pauley
[email-masked]   * or *  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary Paisley)
Date: 16 Dec 93 09:30:54

> metals, plastics or composites would also be fine.

	Sure - but you had better hurry. K-Mart, Walmart and that
French discount store Targeaux usually have lots this time of year.
Many different sizes, from 1/4" to about 3" or so in diameter.
Most have metal evaporated finishes on a glass substrate, and
most are colored, but there are always a few chrome finished ones.
These will have a "navel" where the blow molding equipment injected hot air.
The same source has somewhat cheaper, but more durable styrene spheres.
These are harder to find with metallic finishes, and may in fact
have some "kitchy" decoration attached. 

gary