Subject: Purchasing a MIG setup.

From: [email-masked] (Howard Wilson VW Microbus-R-Us!)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1993 01:33:46 GMT

I'm in the market for a MIG welding outfit for home use, specifically
to do automobile restoration work.  I'm new to metal working and have
gained some insight from reading this group and the excellent FAQ sheets
that have been provided.... thanks to those involved.

Anyway, yesterday I looked at a setup at one of the larger welding
supply houses in my area (Portland OR).  Here is what was included:

Millermatic 130			483
Gas tank -- .75AR/.25CO2	119
Regulator			 69
Welder's mask			 30

			      +
			     ------
			    $   701

There were two other welders, Lincoln SP100 and Hobart Handler 120 which
were comparably priced.....here are a few questions:

1) Is this a reasonable price?... these were prices for the individual
   components.... what do you think I could get them to knock off for a
   "package deal"?... anything major left out? 

2) Is this type of equipment available through mail order houses?... 
   I have purchased many woodworking tools through various mail
   order establishments and had very good results so far.

There are some Century welders at the local home center but they did
not appeared to have a lower quality than the "Big Three".  I generally
have the attitude when buying woodworking tools in that "you get what
you pay for".... which usually translates to "don't buy junky tools from
the local home center"!

3) Is this a reasonable assumption when buying tools for metal working?

4) What other hand tools might I consider for metalworking?

Any other comments, opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-- 
--
I speak for myself... not Intel... and don't expect any apologies either!
--
Howard Wilson			Supercomputer Systems Division
Intel Corporation		Technology Development - Component Technology
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway	MS CO5-01     Email: [email-masked]
Hillsboro, OR  97124		Phone: 503-531-5056

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 22 Nov 93 16:31:57 GMT

munchie line
Your quote is just about what I paid for my SP-100 rig about 2.5 years ago.
I love my Lincoln but have no experience with Hobart or Miller. You
will want a 4.5 inch right angle grinder with discs and a steel brush.
I can't get by without a small Oxyacetelene torch for cutting, brazing and
shaping. I also have an electric (Makita) die grinder which is great
for finishing and polishing (sculpture). I don't think you will want to
be without some kind of table (mine is a Black and Decker work bench with
 a steel top. A vise or holding device of some kind.
My two cents.
-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |