Subject: cire perdu, the lost wax method

From: [email-masked] (Daniel J Stern)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 22:30:00 GMT

I am thinking of making several small statues, etc using the lost wax method
and silver, but I have no way of melting it, as far as I know.  Without the
benefit of a furnace, is there any other way to melt silver?  Perhaps a 
soldering torch, or over hot coals?
____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Keith Hearn)
Date: 25 Jan 1994 16:21:51 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
>soldering torch, or over hot coals?

A soldering torch should be quite sufficient for melting silver for
  casting. In fact, that's how most casting is done. That way you can
  keep the heat applied to the metal right up to the last second
  before pouring.

  Keith

-- 
Keith Hearn                   \    There are times when
[email-masked]             \       I think a nuclear war
Pyramid Technology Corporation  \            might benefit mankind.
(408) 428-7304 or (408) 263-2701 \  Delenda est Barney.

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 11:14:46 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> soldering torch, or over hot coals?

It depends on the weight of metal, of course, but a small crucible holding
2 or 3 ounces can be melted using a propane torch.  I don't do lost wax 
(yet!) but have melted this amount of brass for crude cuttlefish castings
(Heard of this?) using my brazing torch with the largest flame (8" long
flame).  Make a crude furnace by packing a few firebricks around the
crucible to keep the heat in, and make sure that you have the gear ready
to skim, lift and pour it safely.  Furnaces are actually very easy to
make from old paint cans and fire cement, and will melt more metal for 
a given heat input due to the improved insulation.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 22:08:15 -0500

I don't recommend trying to melt the silver yourself.  You may want to take
your project to a jeweler or a foundry (depending on the size of the statues)
and have them do the casting for you.  Any other method, such as the ones you
suggested, could pollute the silver in the casting process.
 
Sincerely,
Chris Fuhr
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John Anderson)
Date: 29 Jan 1994 00:49:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Daniel J Stern) writes:
=
=I am thinking of making several small statues, etc using the lost wax method
=and silver, but I have no way of melting it, as far as I know.  Without the
=benefit of a furnace, is there any other way to melt silver?  Perhaps a 
=soldering torch, or over hot coals?
=____________________________________________________________________________
=
=

I don't know what "small" means, but I've always used an oxy-acetylene
torch and a ceramic crucible to cast silver jewelry.

John

--
 [email-masked]
==========================================================
      The ones whom you should try to get even with
            are the ones who have helped you.
==========================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 06:26:48 GMT

[email-masked] writes:
: I don't recommend trying to melt the silver yourself.  You may want to take
: your project to a jeweler or a foundry (depending on the size of the statues)
: and have them do the casting for you.  Any other method, such as the ones you
: suggested, could pollute the silver in the casting process.

Bah. I have cast multiple ounce batches of silver, using a simple crucible
heated by a oxyacetylene torch. There was not chance of contaminating the
silver - fluxing eliminated the possibility of oxidation.

It is wise to start out very small - around an ounce - until you get used
to the technique.  Don't make the casting too small, or you will have to
preheat the mold to get good detail.

The silver will shrink quite a bit, make sure you have an adequate sprue,
and air bleeds - if necessary.  Read a good jewelry book on casting for
details on the proper procedures.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 31 Jan 94 15:32:20 GMT

We use an oxyacetelene torch.
-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |