Subject: Rivett Lathe

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Brown)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 20:26:10 GMT

I have an early Rivett Lathe which I would like to learn more about.  The
machine dates to around 1900.  It has an 8" swing and 22" between centers.  It
looks like a giant watchmakers lathe except that it has a lead screw
and power feeds.  An article in American Machinist --
March 7, 1895 has a description of the (prototype) of the lathe built
by Faneuil Watch company and designed by Edward Rivett.  I believe
mine is somewhat later as it lists the manufacturer as Rivett Lathe
co.  I have no documentation on the lathe.  It is pretty complete (one
collett is broken), but it seems there were attachments available to 
allow the compound to be used for milling among other things.  I would
love to find out more about the attachments that were available. 

Geoffrey Brown

---

From: [email-masked] (Roger Mitchell)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 18:16:58 GMT

A friend of mine has a Rivett lathe almost the same as the one you have. It
was made during World War II for the US Navy. The Rivett Lathe and Grinder
Company was located in Boston, Massachusetts. They went out of business about
10 years ago. It is unlikely that you can get parts for them any more. I know
that in my friend, Alex's, case we ended up having to make new parts for the
feed clutch and a new gear for the cross-feed. 
				
				Roger Mitchell
				President and Master Mechanic
				Fort Collins Municipal Railway

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Jan 94 11:09:48 CST

> love to find out more about the attachments that were available. 

Here are a few listings--
>From the classified in Horological Times, 1/94
Tom Mister. Herr and Kline inc.   1914 Granby St,  Norfolk VA  23517
	(804)623-0714.     Used watchmakers tools, equipmennt.
>From NAWCC MART 1/94
John Hill,  Hilman Creek,  7200 McMullen St. ,, Boise, ID  83709 
	(208)376-0545.   Watchmaker tools, lathes, accossories.

Others advertise but these are in current issues that I have at hand.