Subject: DIY Small Crucible Furnace

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 29 Dec 93 12:38:40 CST

Following on from the recent conversations on making "devices in which to melt
metal", I just received Vol. 171 No. 3958 (December 3-16, 1993) of the
Model Engineer. Pages 705/6 contain a short article on a home-built propane
gas fired furnace suitable or working with Alumin[i]um, brass and bronze.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 DEC 93 23:35:54 EST

Hi my name is chris fuhr  you can reachh me at walkermm's.
I own both an Electric melter 100 troy ounce and a no. 16 crucible propane
melter.
 
The pro/melter was about a month to three month project and I was lucky tohave
several sorces, both for materials and referances.
In mine I couldn't find a small enough barrel so i had to use more foundry
plaster thatn normal.
but it should last longer and hold more heat allowing for short turn arounds on
multipule castings.
the two biggest things that I needed where a friend who new iron and had a
welder so he made the handles and the hindges, and a superior pottery store
that rebuilds kilns of all types so I had supplies and choices.
Tell me how it gose and what you plan to cast etc...