Subject: Old Engines and Museums

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 8 Feb 1994 14:54:12 GMT

So much talk about old engines, a subject near and dear to me.  I have posted on
the net about this museum before but got no response.  Now with all this engine
talk I thought I would post again.

There is a Museum in Vista California, someone mentioned it.  It is the 
California Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Museum.  It has a Steam engine
row, a Gasoline engine row, Tractors by the score, a blacksmith shop (that's
a whole 'nother story) farm implements and about 30 acres of farmland in crop.
Twice a year for two consecutive weekends, the Museum puts on a show.  It's
great!  The engines are started, the tractors are put to work, a lumber mill
is set to a tractor as well as a grain mill.  There are two Steam Traction 
engines that race around the place. 

I am a member there and will be going there this weekend to work on The Western
200 I have mentioned.  I will get a brochure and post the dates of the show
next week.  I will also E-mail anyone interested a bitmap of the brochure.
There, that's my plug for the museum.

Dave Parsons

---

From: [email-masked] (Donald Bowen)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 00:11:56 GMT

>Dave Parsons

	I will second all that.  I have a 1936 Farmall 12 on display there
which I drive in the show parades.  They have a walking tour of the place
(it is open year round) that I wrote several years ago and now I understand
that they have docents to show you around.  Now that I have moved closer
I hope to spend a little more time there.  The shows are the last 2 weekends
of June and October.  It is the best family entertainment value in southern 
California.

	DonB

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Feb 94 10:39:57 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] () writes:

> California Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Museum.  
> Twice a year for two consecutive weekends, the Museum puts on a show.  

This is a great show!   My mother lives in nearby Escondido, and
I always seem to pick those weekends to go visit her.   :-)
The first few times, she would smile sweetly as I dragged
my wife off to the show for the day.   Then one of her friends
talked her into exhibiting her hand-weaving skills at the
show.   Now, she spends more time there than I do!

I really enjoy seeing that huge old Corliss engine turn over.
Last year it looked like they had the concrete pads ready
for some new engines.   Do you know if they are running
yet, or are they still being restored?

There is one feature that I would like to see added to the
show.   When they go through the starting procedure for the
big diesel engine from Catalina Island, it would be nice to
have someone with a P.A. system describing exactly what they
are doing.   Could you pass this on to the Powers That Be?

--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 9 Feb 1994 21:55:31 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, 
: [email-masked] () writes:

: Last year it looked like they had the concrete pads ready
: for some new engines.   Do you know if they are running
: yet, or are they still being restored?

Those concerete pads are for one engine/compressor combination.  The people
that are in charge of Steam Engine Row, Chuck and Leonard are at odds about
weather or not to set that engine.  Chuck wants to wait until so and so can
bring his laser leveling device out to level those two units together.  Leonard
says, "Hell, they didn't have a (explitive deleated) laser when they set it the
first time!"  I think he's right.  What do you think?

: There is one feature that I would like to see added to the
: show.   When they go through the starting procedure for the
: big diesel engine from Catalina Island, it would be nice to
: have someone with a P.A. system describing exactly what they
: are doing.   Could you pass this on to the Powers That Be?

Yes.  I will pass this suggestion on to the Powers this weekend.  I am going
out there rain or shine.  That is a nice engine.  I like your idea myself.

Dave Parsons

: --  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
: --  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
: --  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
: --  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)