Subject: Re: Cutting chrome plated tubing?

From: [email-masked] (Spencer W. Thomas)
Date: 11 Nov 93 12:14:00

I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my query.  The advice I
got included

1. Hit it with a belt sander.  Sounded easy, at least.
2. Tubing cutters come big enough, easily.  Some concern about damage
   to the chrome, one person suggested trying to find a cutter with
   plastic wheels.  Another wondered whether a layer of paper tape would
   protect it sufficiently.
3. EDM (if I want to spend LOTS of $$$)
4. Use a small abrasive cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool. (I'd be
   concerned about cutting a straight line.)

What did I end up doing?  None of the above -- my wife decided she
didn't want to risk it, and went back to the cabinet shop with them
and they figured out a totally different solution involving an end
panel with little adjustable feet instead of legs.  The nice part of
this from my point of view is that they've got a "tame" cabinetmaker
who will fab the thing, and the cost is about the same as the stock
legs. 

If it had been up to me, I probably would have tried the tubing cutter
approach, probably consulting with a friendly, knowledgeable hardware
store employee first.  It seems to have the least potential for rapid,
irreversable damage.

And once again, I'm impressed with the depth and helpfullness of the
net.

--
=Spencer W. Thomas 		|  Info Tech and Networking, B1911 CFOB, 0704
   "Genome Informatician"	|  Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
[email-masked]	|  313-764-8065, FAX 313-764-4133