Subject: Information on treadle machines

From: [email-masked] (Steven Johnson)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 17:19:44 GMT

I'm interested in the history of old treadle-powered machinery
(including scroll saws, lathes, sewing machines, tablesaws, drills,
etc. etc.). However, I haven't been able to find a good book or
information source on the companies that made these machines, histories
of their inventors, or reprints from companies catalogs that describe
these machines.  I know there are hundreds (or at least dozens) of these
types of books for planemakers --isn't there something similar for
these machines?

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 31 Jan 1994 05:33:22 GMT

> types of books for planemakers --isn't there something similar for

  Some people think this is a bit odd, but there is appearantly
still a bit of treadle equiptment being made...  Years ago I
was getting my girlfriends sewing machine fixed.  On the sales
floor was the latest models available in treadle sewing machines.
Mind you this was only back in 1985, NOT 1895.  It sure supprised
me!

  I too would be interested in the information too -- including
references to the "hundreds (or at least dozens) of these
types of books for planemakers"

  Thanks

  EBo --

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Dugan)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 16:01:10 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] () writes:
|> > I'm interested in the history of old treadle-powered machinery
|> > (including scroll saws, lathes, sewing machines, tablesaws, drills,
|> > etc. etc.). However, I haven't been able to find a good book or
|> > information source on the companies that made these machines, histories
|> > of their inventors, or reprints from companies catalogs that describe
|> > these machines.  I know there are hundreds (or at least dozens) of these
|> > types of books for planemakers --isn't there something similar for
|> > these machines?
|> 
|> 
|>   Some people think this is a bit odd, but there is appearantly
|> still a bit of treadle equiptment being made...  Years ago I
|> was getting my girlfriends sewing machine fixed.  On the sales
|> floor was the latest models available in treadle sewing machines.
|> Mind you this was only back in 1985, NOT 1895.  It sure supprised
|> me!
|> 
|>   I too would be interested in the information too -- including
|> references to the "hundreds (or at least dozens) of these
|> types of books for planemakers"
|> 
|>   Thanks
|> 
|>   EBo -- 

As a woodworker lurking in this group, I'm also interested in info on treadle
machines - wood lathes in particular. Here's one question I have: What's a good
mid-tech bearing for the live centers (mid-tech = 19th century) so I can
reproduce the technology? What's a good source for these bearings?

As far as the reference to books for planemakers, try Jim Kingshott's book
title is (?) Making Hand Tools (?).

For reference books ON planemakers, try the Astragal Press or Early American
Industries Assn (EAIA). There are numerous books on 18th and 19th century
planes.
-- 
Tom Dugan - Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC	[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Shaw Moldauer)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 16:47:47 GMT

Steven Johnson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm interested in the history of old treadle-powered machinery
: (including scroll saws, lathes, sewing machines, tablesaws, drills,
: etc. etc.). However, I haven't been able to find a good book or
: information source on the companies that made these machines, histories
: of their inventors, or reprints from companies catalogs that describe
: these machines.  I know there are hundreds (or at least dozens) of these
: types of books for planemakers --isn't there something similar for
: these machines?

	I buy old books at garage sales. One of the 1930's handyman style
books has an article on converting your old treadle sewing machine into a
scroll saw. I plan to, whenever I get more shop space, convert an old
treadle. I don't have a scoll saw, but do have the treadle. If a small
number of people are interested, I might send the plans out....

			-Shaw

p.s. The old handyman and woodworkinh books have a wealth of information.
I am continually surprized when an idea is presented as "new" in FWW or
some mag which is in some of my old books. Also, I rarely pay more than
5-10 cents for a book (much cheaper than Rodale press)

---

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 17:49:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tom Dugan) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Tom Dugan)
>Subject: Re: Information on treadle machines
>Keywords: treadle
>Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 16:01:10 GMT

	If you've ever watched "The Woodwrights Shop" on PBS you might have 
seen his two treadle powered lathes.  Both of these lathes are detailed in 
one of his books (the titles of which escape me at the moment but something 
about "The Woodwritght's shop" ;-)).
	As for bearing material I beleive that babbit metal was the 
technology of the age.  I beleive that this is a fairly easy melting metal (
600-900 degrees) with which you can cast many bearings and bushings.  
Babbit metal is availble from Centaur Forge.

	Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick White)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 19:13:14 GMT

>number of people are interested, I might send the plans out....

        Or, you could sell the treadle machine (especially if it's an old
Singer) to someone who wants it and use the money to buy a real scroll saw..
much less work.  I've seen them going for $200 locally, and have heard (via
my wife, who reads rec.sewing) that as high as $800 for one has been
mentioned on rec.sewing.  If you want to find out what it's worth, get the
serial number and call singer (ask on rec.sewing for the 800 number) to find
out how old it is.. then ask rec.sewing readers what it's worth (probably
also find someone who wants to buy it too).
	I doubt the treadle machine you have is worth $800, but it might
be worth enough to get a real scroll saw.

-- 
Pat White (work: [email-masked], (503) 578-3463)
	  (home: eaglet.rain.com!puterbob!patbob)

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick White)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 94 20:58:41 GMT

>my wife, who reads rec.sewing) that as high as $800 for one has been
		    ^^^^^^^^^^
	Duh.. alt.sewing.. brain went out for a snack.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Landau)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 1994 05:18:28 GMT

>5-10 cents for a book (much cheaper than Rodale press)

I agree--I particularly like the "shop notes" annuals that popular mechanics
put out--I think from 1915 or so to the 50s.  But I also remember seeing in
a FWW an article about a treadle lathe that someone built, the interesting
feature of which was that it used a bicycle sprocket and chain to convert
the treadle motion to unidirectional rotation, instead of the usual crank. 
Neat.
--Joe

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 3 Feb 1994 10:39:31 GMT

> reproduce the technology? What's a good source for these bearings?

  Well, most of my experience have been with three types of bearings:

    1) babitt (sp?): used in fairly high load applications.
    2) steel needle and bronze seat. (or just bronze bearings)
    3) and ironwood bearings (of all things)... it seemed to work fine for the
       shaft bearing... for a very long time.  When the shaft was disasembled
       and moved back in 1983, I think they replaced the wood bearings with
       bronze.

> Industries Assn (EAIA). There are numerous books on 18th and 19th century

  Thanks for the references!

  EBo -- 

------------------------------------------------------
"I don't use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough." 
                                        --  M.C.Escher

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Evan Perdicaro)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 16:35:55 GMT

>types of books for planemakers --isn't there something similar for

Some of Eric Sloane's books ( no longer in print, right? ) cover treadle
machines.  Also, at least one of Ron Roszkiewicz's books covers treadle
machines in brief.  ( Ron works here, contact me if you really get 
stuck. )

My wife has, and uses, a treadle Singer sewing machine -- does that count?
-- 
Frank Evan Perdicaro 			Dainippon Screen Engineering of America
 Legalize guns, drugs and cash...today.	   3700 Segerstrom Ave
  inhouse: frank@rebel, x210		      Santa Ana CA 92704

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Leach)
Date: 7 Feb 1994 11:06:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Steven Johnson) writes:
|> I'm interested in the history of old treadle-powered machinery
|> (including scroll saws, lathes, sewing machines, tablesaws, drills,
|> etc. etc.). However, I haven't been able to find a good book or
|> information source on the companies that made these machines, histories
|> of their inventors, or reprints from companies catalogs that describe
|> these machines.  I know there are hundreds (or at least dozens) of these
|> types of books for planemakers --isn't there something similar for
|> these machines?
|> 

  Steve, there isn't much written on this subject since there aren't a lot
of collectors of it for the simple reason that the stuff is so bulky (if
only the idea of making them into lamps caught on, maybe that would make 
for more documentation). I have seen a reprint of a Barnes broadside which
pictures many of their products. I also recall seeing some of the treadle
machinery pictured in hardware catalog reprints, though I can't remember 
which ones exactly. You ought to join EAIA and Midwest, where this special-
ized stuff gets some occasional press.

  Too bad I didn't know you several years ago. I had a spiffy combination
scroll saw and lathe with all kinds of pinstriping on it. I practically 
had to give it away. I also had a nice foot-operated morticing machine with
all its knives.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patrick Leach
Just say It woulda made one hell of a mailbox post.
etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Bergman)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 03:09:52 GMT

Old singers aren't worth much, in general.  There are particular
models that might we worth something, and *certainly* the value is a
function of location -- I've heard of people buyying them in New
England for $45 and taking them to sell in Arizona or some such for a
couple hundred.  But the $800 machine was probably either a very rare
treadle machine of truly historic significance, or much more likely, a
Singer Featherweight -- an electric, portable, machine, that has an
extremely high resale value.

Singer still makes and sells (well, has made in china, and sells)
treadle and handcrank machines, but they are not serious sewing
machines, nothing like the quality of the old ones.

-- 
--Mike Bergman			Voice:	(617) 271-0230

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 9 Feb 1994 08:13:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael
Bergman) writes:
|> 
|> Old singers aren't worth much, in general.  There are particular
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> 
|> -- 
|> --Mike Bergman			Voice:	(617) 271-0230

I Dunno, you can get a good price for a Pavarotti recording...

Sorry, couldn't help it, it must be time for one of those green
pills.

I'll go and stick my head in this bucket of water, and shout "Wibble".

;-)

-- 

David Jenkins

* I'd rather be steaming... *