Subject: Oil for old Myford ML7.

From: [email-masked] (Doug Cutler)
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 94 16:31:02 EST

I have just returned from England where I found my Myford ML7 lathe
in almost perfect condition after been in storage for some 30 years!!!
As I now have a "Workshop Space" I am arranging to have it shipped over
to the US.  Of course I will need a new motor, my late father stole that
and a few other odds and ends, but I will also need suitable lubrication
for the drip feeders for the headstock bearings.  The manual recomends
Shell Vitria 27 oil ... any body out there know if this is available in
the US in "small" quantities or what is a good substitute?
 
  Doug. Cutler                       Office of Information Technology,
  VM Systems Programmer              University of North Carolina.

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Stone 4915162)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 02:48:37 GMT

>  VM Systems Programmer              University of North Carolina.

Shell Oil have changed the names of their oils a few times over the years.
I used to use Vitrea 27 on my Myford Super 7 until they changed the name
to Tellus 27 and later to Tellus 46.  Don't ask me to explain, but I was
told that they changed the number to reflect some international standard.

What you need to use is Tellus 46 (unless they have changed the name again
since I bought my last gallon).  It is a fairly thin oil normally used for
hydraulic applications.  Don't fall into the trap of using heavier oils
(like Automotive engine oils) in the Myford oil feeders, as they dont pass
through the oilways and hence don't lubricate all that well.

Charlie Stone.

: [email-masked]			     		    :
:...........................................................................:
:  Charlie Stone.                  : A Control Line modeller who has        :
:  Perth, Western Australia.       : retired from flying full scale Gliders,:
:                                  : prefers to use Imperial measurement,   :
:                                  : and likes the Australian flag as it is :
:..................................:........................................:

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 14:40:11 +0000

> in almost perfect condition after been in storage for some 30 years!!!

Why on earth would anyone want to ship an ML7 across the pond ?
I trust you're also having the necessary tweed jacket, trilby hat, pipe and
cardigan shipped over as well 8-)  I really dislike Myfords, pretty
uninspiring machine tools with nasty toolposts, that are too small for
anything interesting and vastly overpriced. They're only popular because the
Duffers that write Model Engineer all rave on about them.

That said, I have a Myford too. An ML2 thats older (1928) than my father !
I hardly ever use it, as it's too small for anything other than model making.
Still, the big Colchester should be returning next week 8-)

Use any old gloop in the headstock oilers. Try your local machine tool
supplier and see what they recommend. Vitria is now called Tellus BTW. 
The ML7 has very simple bearings and no quick change box, so it isn't 
at all fussy about what you use. So long as it's pretty thin, it will 
work. I've even seen one that ran on ATF for years with no ill effects.

   _                              Andy Dingley
 /  ) ' ,_  _,  /   _ ) _/_       Codesmiths of Newcastle
/_ / / / / (_) /_) (_)  /_        [email-masked]
          (_)                     +44 091 230 1695

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 5 Jan 94 08:21:54 MST

MSC sells a light duty spindle oil listed as ISO 27 grade, which might
be close enough to 27.  Their part number 00254201, $13.85 (US) per
gallon.  (800) 645-7270.  Hope this helps!

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen)
Date: 5 Jan 94 17:02:50

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Andy Dingley) writes:

Yes, I agree that they are pricey. But are there better alternatives
around for people like me, who needs a lathe like the long bed ML7,
perhaps with a larger swing and spindle hole? The Emco Compact 10
comes to mind, but is even more expensive than the Myford, especially
the accessories. Any suggestions are welcome.

Btw., I looked up both Hardinge companies which have been discussed
here before. The local "Compass" register states that Hardinge Machine
Tools Ltd in Exeter is wholly owned by Hardinge Brothers Inc of
Elmira, NY.
--
Ole-Hj. Kristensen

******************************************************************************
* You cannot consistently believe this sentence.
******************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 1994 10:56:34 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen" writes:
> perhaps with a larger swing and spindle hole?

Buy a second hand industrial lathe. Even if you have to change a three phase
motor to single phase (even better, get three phase installed !) it can be
cheaper than a Myford and is nearly always better equipped. As for swing
diameter, headstock bore, geared headstocks, power feeds...

I like Colchesters; Students or Bantams. They're bigger than Myfords if
you're using a corner of a garage, but they're not unmanageably big if you
have a dedicated workshop space.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 10 Jan 94 11:44:22 CST

Andy Dingley ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Buy a second hand industrial lathe. Even if you have to change a three phase
: motor to single phase (even better, get three phase installed !) it can be
: cheaper than a Myford and is nearly always better equipped. As for swing
: diameter, headstock bore, geared headstocks, power feeds...

: I like Colchesters; Students or Bantams. They're bigger than Myfords if
: you're using a corner of a garage, but they're not unmanageably big if you
: have a dedicated workshop space.

Surely the question here revolves(sic) around what the lathe is wanted for?
Myford equipment has been around for a long time and has done very good service
for many people. Not everyone *needs* that big a swing etc.

Buying secondhand industrial equipment may be cheaper in the initial purchase
but, unless it has been rebuilt (properly) already, the cost of refurbishing
may be quite high (depending on the wear)

Availability of parts for the equipment may also be an issue.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)