Subject: Re: To MIG or Not

From: [email-masked] (John Cooper)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 16:25:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
>>>>>> On Tue, 9 Nov 1993 05:40:43 GMT, [email-masked] (John Cooper) said:
>
>John> In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Gary Johnsey) writes:
	:
>I replied to Gary by Email and supposed he was talking about the
>Hobart Handler 120.  This comes *standard* with a gas solenoid valve
>and can handle .020 and .045 wire with a single feed roller, just
>different tips.  IMHO, the disadvantage of lugging a gas bottle around
>far outweigh having to chip and clean after welding.
	:
>SS and mild steel can both be welded with 25/75 argon/CO2 gas mixture.

I guess I was a bit vague.  The portability I was was thinking of was more of
lugging the welder up/down stairs, toss it in the back of the pickup, etc..
If you have your MIG in the shop on a roll-around cart go for the gas setup.

Do you get a reasonable weld in SS and AL with the Ar/CO2 mixture?  I've seen
further recommendations to back-flood SS welds with He/Ar/CO2 as well
to minimize discoloration.

Actually I didn't realize what slag was until I used an AC buzz box.  The
minimum slag deposits from fluxcore wire I usually run (Lincon, I think)
almost allow you to omit cleanup between multiple passes for grunge utility
welding.
	:
>In my experience, the 20% duty cycle is plenty for most home shop
>applications.  No matter how much you are welding, unless it is
>production work, it is really hard to be welding 2 minutes out of
>every 10 minutes.

Usually, but I've managed to pop the thermal cutoff on my welder a few times
especially when first learning.  More importantly the duty cycle at max
amperage is an indication of how much copper and steel are in that transformer
and inductor.  In general a higher duty cycle usually means a more durable
welder.  Although, my inexpensive 20% MIG will probably outlive me.

Something else I forgot to mention is that mig wire typically (well, around
here) is sold in 1#, 2# and 10# spools.  If you use your welder occasionally
you may encounter problems with surface oxidation of steel and Al wire.
This causes conductivity woes between the gun tip and the wire itself.
Smaller wire rolls have shorter lives and are less apt to surface oxidize.

I haven't myself had this problem (yet) with uncoated wire.  Steel wire is
also available with a thin copper plating which presumably makes it less
susceptible to rust.  I have heard some welding people complain of the copper
flaking off inside the gun hose liner and causing all sorts of feed problems.
I would assume this is only in commercial use.

Anyway, just my two cents.

-john

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary Johnsey)
Date: 12 Nov 1993 23:21:19 GMT

>I have always wanted (not needed, but wanted) a welding outfit. I now have
>one and have been studying and practicing. I am told that a MIG outfit can
>......
>..... could have it for $350. ......
>.......

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I have made 
the decision to purchase the Hobart 120. And, with your advice, 
public and private, I have made a better deal. 

I asked the salesman if he would take less and he said, "OK, 
$300." He is also going to put on a new wire-feed-hose and 
a new wire-feed wheel (I forget what he called it). He will
also have someone demonstrate when I go by to pick it up so
I still have an opportunity to refuse it (but most likely not).

Your comments were more "information packed" than the books
I am reading. I will print and bind them along with other selections
from this group.

Now to find some scrap iron or, if unlucky, redefine some finished
products as scrap. 

And a project or two. Let's see. That gal bucket my wife uses to was her
car could use some leggs, so she doesn't have to bend over so far, and
maybe
some hooks for rags and brushes. 

Thanks again.