Subject: Re: HELP me make powdered aluminum!

From: [email-masked] (Adam Karpowicz)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 01:06:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
>sorry about the one with no name.  That was the first time I learned how to 
>use the newsgroup.  I still need help trying to make powdered aluminum for
>my model rocket engines.  Ermy thanks you for your support!
>
>please email any knowldge you may have or just leave your message in this
>group
>thanks again

I doubt if powdered aluminum can be easily made (i.e. powdered fine enough
to ignite with an oxidizer). I would try powdered "silver" paints, they
are supposedly aluminum.

Adam Karpowicz   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 07:10:09 GMT

[email-masked] writes:
: sorry about the one with no name.  That was the first time I learned how to 
: use the newsgroup.  I still need help trying to make powdered aluminum for
: my model rocket engines.  Ermy thanks you for your support!

Forget it. It is not worth the effort.

Call Firefox, in Idaho, and ask them to send you their catalog. The number
is 208 237-1976.  They have a minimum $15 order, plus shipping and hazmat
fee. You will not be able to buy flake aluminum, but you do not need it for
rocket motors - atomized works fine.  The reason you would not want to get
flake, is that UPS refuses to handle it any more - truck freight is very
expensive - unless you are buying 100+ pounds at a time.

Firefox also sells rocket motor making hardware, casings, chemicals, books
etc. The aluminum you would want, about -190 mesh, sells for around $8.75
per pound. 

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (bill nelson)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 07:10:58 GMT

[email-masked] (Adam Karpowicz) writes:
: 
: I doubt if powdered aluminum can be easily made (i.e. powdered fine enough
: to ignite with an oxidizer). I would try powdered "silver" paints, they
: are supposedly aluminum.

It can be ground, it is just not worth the effort.

Bill