Subject: Re: Homebrew lathe toolpost grinders?

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 26 Jan 94 16:05:00 GMT

-> Ive almost orderd a die grinder from Harbor Freight, which notes it
-> has a cylindrical nose suited to clamping as a toolpost grinder. Most
-> of the die grinders have tapered noses that would be hard to mount.
->
-> Has anyone used teh Harbor Freight die grinder?

 Well, crud.  Here I'd been locked into electric thinking along with
everyone else, but AIR die grinders are pretty darned cheap - cheap
enough to modify one specifically for toolpost work if required.  Heck,
a new Campbell-Hausfeld air grinder is under $25!

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Kish)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 00:18:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Dave Williams)  writes:
|> 
|> -> Ive almost orderd a die grinder from Harbor Freight, which notes it
|> -> has a cylindrical nose suited to clamping as a toolpost grinder. Most
|> -> of the die grinders have tapered noses that would be hard to mount.
|> ->
|> -> Has anyone used teh Harbor Freight die grinder?
|> 
|>  Well, crud.  Here I'd been locked into electric thinking along with
|> everyone else, but AIR die grinders are pretty darned cheap - cheap
|> enough to modify one specifically for toolpost work if required.  Heck,
|> a new Campbell-Hausfeld air grinder is under $25!
|>                                                                

 Don't get the Harbor Freight die grinder !! 
 I bought one and had to send it back because of an out-of-round chuck.
 The replacement had the same problem...

 Served me right I guess.

		-BK