Subject: Handgun fabrication

From: [email-masked] (Tom Monson)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 20:28:48 GMT

Keywords: 

Does anyone know of plans for fabricating handguns, say a copy of an old 
Colt, S&W, etc., complete with dimensions, materials, heat treatment, 
metal finishes, etc?  Seems like a great winter project.  I am aware of 
places which sell kits, but I'm curious about scratch fabrication.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 20:40:05 GMT

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Monson <[email-masked]> writes:

Tom> Keywords: 

Tom> Does anyone know of plans for fabricating handguns, say a copy of an old 
Tom> Colt, S&W, etc., complete with dimensions, materials, heat treatment, 
Tom> metal finishes, etc?  Seems like a great winter project.  I am aware of 
Tom> places which sell kits, but I'm curious about scratch fabrication.

Tom> [email-masked]

Please be aware that you will need a FFL Manufacturing license if you
plan to proceed with this, or do you like striped pajamas as your
daily attire?

dion

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)455-5590x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer                       [email-masked]
Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California    ucsd!megatek!hollen

---

From: okunewck@pds16 (Phil OKunewick)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 22:18:29 GMT

>places which sell kits, but I'm curious about scratch fabrication.

   Speaking as a blackpowder shooter, it's a lot more fun if you make
the gun yourself.

   Making a gun from scratch would be risky - you could make something
very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.  It's best to work
your way up to a good firearm, making a few guns from partially
completed kits before tackling a major project.  I built a
Philadelphia Derringer and a Colt .44 revolver from kits before I
built a flintlock rifle.  I also made a number of mistakes on the two
handguns, mistakes I didn't repeat when I made the rifle.  I even
wound up redoing some work on the handguns afterward.  The
Philadelphia Derringer is an inexpensive starter, excellent for a
first project.

   Dixie Gun Works (Knoxville, Tenn?) sells supplies for fabricating
replica blackpowder firearms starting from practically any stage of
completion.  They take particular pride in the durability of their
barrels.  You should contact them and get their catalog; it has a lot
of useful advice.

   Also: take a gun safety or hunting safety course if you haven't
lately.  Not only do you learn proper gun handling, you might also get
the opportunity to see what can happen with badly-made guns.  It's
really scary.

---

From: [email-masked] (David A. Sticha)
Date: 13 Jan 1994 17:12:03 GMT

>[email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) replies:

Manufacturing your own firearm is perfectly legal and requires no license
from the Feds as long as you don't make a gun which falls under NFA control,
like a machine gun, pen gun, silencer, etc. This question was just answered
in the January 1994 NRA American Rifleman magazine. Note that the gun may
not be made for commercial sale. Also, even though there are no federal
laws against it, your state laws may not agree.

For a copy of the complete federal law covering this (and all other federal
gun laws) call your local Government Printing Office and ask for a copy
of the "Red Book" of federal firearm laws. Cost is about $5.00. They will
take VISA over the phone. Their number can be found in the phone book under
US Government.

BTW, Brownell's (515-623-5401) is the country's largest gunsmithing supply
house. They have numerous books and technical publications which might
contain enough detail for your needs.
-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Dave Sticha ([email-masked])
 Motorola Cellular Infrastructure Group - Arlington Heights IL
 "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------