Subject: Re: Neophyte Welding

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 9 Nov 93 21:28:31 GMT

I recommend oxyacetelene to start as you will want it later for cutting
and heating and brazing. Oxyacetelene is not much good for heavy stuff.
Next add a 120 vac mig like the Lincoln SP100. Just my comments. I have
Oxyacetelene     ~  $300  (used unit)
240 vac Buzz box ~   180  (Price Club)
Sp100 w/c25 gas  ~   700  (VB Anderson.)

I only use the buzz box for grunge welding also its not portable. The mig
is my friend, but I still need my Oxyacetelene , 4.5 inch right angle grinder
and chop saw to manufacture my steel sculptures.

-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Martinez)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 01:40:19 GMT

Hello,

Take advantage of your tax dollars and find a local community college that 
teaches welding and sign up for a beginning course. You will have the 
opportunity to use the school equipment without purchasing any yourself. This 
can give you an introduction to the different welding processes available and 
get you started with some expert "hands on" help. 
-- 
The Lottery is a Tax on those who can't do Math!
                               - heard on UseNet
Kevin Martinez
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry Sommer)
Date: 11 Nov 93 02:07:53 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
David A. Sticha <[email-masked]> wrote:

>It will mostly be steel or cast iron, but it would be nice if I could also
>handle aluminum, brass, etc.

	I maybe wrong but I don't think cast iron can really be welded
sucessfully.  There are probably a few pros that can do it but the only
thing I've ever seen work was brazing.  Does the net know of any triks to
weld cast iron?
	As just mentioned here recently you can weld Al with a tourch. I
beleive it gives you a softer weld because the heat is spread out more. 
	I don't know anything about brass but if it can't be welded I'm
sure there is a way to braze it somehow. BTW does anyone one know of some
good books on brazing. As an engineer I kind of like leaving the material
properties of the parent material intact but I don't know enough about
brazing to trust for strucuaral aplications yet.
	If you buy a mig welder look into the posabilty of get one you can
up grade to a Tig I don't know how reasonable that is considering most
tigs go for around 2000-4000$ as I've seen them.

good luck

--
        [email-masked]   Georgia Institute of Technology

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 11 Nov 1993 08:29:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Henry
Sommer) writes:
|> 
|> In article <[email-masked]>,
|> David A. Sticha <[email-masked]> wrote:
|> 
|> >It will mostly be steel or cast iron, but it would be nice if I
|> could also
|> >handle aluminum, brass, etc.
|> 
|> 	I maybe wrong but I don't think cast iron can really be welded
|> sucessfully.  There are probably a few pros that can do it but the
|> only
|> thing I've ever seen work was brazing.  Does the net know of any
|> triks to
|> weld cast iron?

I believe it involves heating the cast iron up to near red hot before welding,
then letting it cool very slowly (in the ashes of a hearth was
suggested).  This
avoids stress cracking.

|> 	I don't know anything about brass but if it can't be welded I'm
|> sure there is a way to braze it somehow. BTW does anyone one know of some
|> good books on brazing. As an engineer I kind of like leaving the material
|> properties of the parent material intact but I don't know enough about
|> brazing to trust for strucuaral aplications yet.

There's little point in welding brass, as it can be melted with just a propane
torch.  Brazing literally means "joining metal using brass", although it covers
silver soldering as well these days.  A silver solder joint should be stronger
than the surrounding brass.  I know one good UK book for brazing, but I
doubt if
you will get it in the USA - try looking in "Live Steam" or "Home Shop
Machinist"
for USA books.

-- 

David Jenkins

* All incorrect spelling and grammar is intentional.  Corrections are *
* superfluous and will be ignored.  So there.                         *