Subject: English Wheel

From: [email-masked] (Terry Mayhugh)
Date: 2 Feb 1994 20:01:30 GMT

Anyone have any experience with using an English wheel? I just finished
building one based on a design by John Glover and am now in the (difficult)
process of teaching myself to use it. Although I have a few of his video
tapes, I'd really like some written instructional material. I haven't been
able to find much. I have found one or two race car schools in the East
that offer short courses but they are too far away and too expensive.

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Mayhugh)
Date: 4 Feb 1994 15:52:24 GMT

I've been asked by a few to explain just exactly what an English wheel is:

An English wheel is a tool that was invented about a hundred years ago for
shaping sheet metal. It was used by the old English coach builders for
shaping body panels for automobiles. The Cobra bodies built by AC in
England during the sixties are one example of its past commercial use. I
believe that it is still used by Lamborgini and some other European
low-production high-buck car companies. (At least I saw them in the
background of some photos of a Lamborgini production shop.) Today they are
used by some shops to form body panels for NASCAR race cars and also by
shops doing antique airplane restoration. They don't seem to be as popular
for custom car work today as I had originally thought. Maybe because of the
skill factor or maybe because there are power machines (planishing or power
hammers) that perform the same tasks more efficiently.

Anyway, the machine can be best described physically as a large vertical
C-clamp (mine is 6-1/2 ft high with a 48" throat). At the top opening of
the C-clamp is a yoke holding a large heavy metal wheel (mine is 9" dia and
4" wide) which is free to spin. On the bottom leg of the C-clamp is a heavy
threaded yoke which holds a selection of smaller diameter (3") diameter
wheels called anvils. The bottom yoke can be adjusted up in order to pinch
the metal to be rolled between the upper and lower wheels. The top wheel is
ground with a
perfectly flat surface while the bottom anvils ( I machined 5) are ground
on
radii ranging from infinite (flat) to about 12".

The thing works by rolling the panel back and forth with the panel pinched
between the upper wheel and the lower wheel with just the right pressure
and the correct lower wheel surface to shape the panel as needed. The metal
is stretched at the area of contact between the 2 wheels and tends to take
on the radius of the lower wheel surface. The operator skill comes in by
knowing just how to bring this all together and form a panel to a desired
template or buck without leaving anvil marks. When you know what you're
doing the panel can come out with a perfectly smooth surface ready for
painting and with just enough work hardening for added strength and
durability. The wheel is usually used on steel or aluminum but it can be
used on practically any other malleable metal. Large panels (>2'-3' sq) or
panels with lots of complexity are often done in smaller pieces,
welded together, and then planished to produce the complete panel.The real
advantage of this tool is its ability to form compound shapes without the
noise, expense, and upkeep of something like a power hammer. Some
disadvantages, however, are operator skill level and perhaps speed.

John Glover, who I mentioned in my original request, recently retired from
the Concept Car Division of GM where he built prototype panels for many GM
vehicles using the English wheel. He produced some fine tutorial videos on
its use. Although you can learn much from viewing the tapes there are
numerous questions that come up while acquiring a technique that I was
hoping to find in a text.

I placed my original request for help in the metal working, homemade
aviational, and custom car groups, but so far only a few in the aviational
group
were even familiar with the tool.

---

From: [email-masked] (william thomas powers)
Date: 4 Feb 1994 11:54:55 -0500

You might try over on rec.org.sca. I know of two SCA people who built
English wheels from scratch to make armor with. Its great for breastplates!

Oh by the way; rec.org.sca is in a bit of a tizzy due to a sudden radical
change in the bylaws by their Board of Directors; but don't be scared off.
We're never too busy bitchin' to help out others.

Thomas
(aka Wilium the smith)