Subject: Re: Pure Lead out of Old Tire Weights?

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 24 Jan 94 07:27:00 GMT

-> Smelting Whole Batteries-  Hmm let's see how many potential problems
-> with this approach.
-> 1) Draining acid into groundwater

 Eh?  It'd be silly to dump it on the ground.  It's useful for lots of
stuff.  If you don't have a use for it, most high school chem labs are
grateful to get it.

-> 2) Lot's of nasty sulfur fumes

 Last I heard sulfur wasn't an Enviro-Nazi issue.  If it is, they need
to start pouring concrete in Yellowstone Park.

-> 3) Most probably lots and lots of lead fumes

 Lead doesn't outgass much at reasonable temperatures.  Most people cast
bullets and sinkers indoors.  Of course, these are seriously weird
people, who enjoy SHOOTING things, and torturing innocent fish on the
end of barbed hooks, but we all have our little faults, and what's a
little lead between friends?

-> I'm all for DIY projects, but this just sounds like a REAL bad idea.
-> I would put this past being politcally incorrect.  I feel this would
-> be very environmentally unsound, pretty dangerous without the right
-> sort of protective gear and almost definitely illegal (both water and
-> air pollution) in most places.  Remember, old batteries are
-> categorized as hazardous wastes for good reasons.

 Some day you'll discover the horrible truth about the Tooth Fairy.

-> I just don't imagine one will save all that much $$.

 I'll let you in on another secret.  This newsgroup is full of people
who own thousands of dollars worth of equipment.  Lots of them will
spend an hour or more using this equipment to make something they could
buy at the hardware store for a dollar.  Now, why would they do that,
instead of donating that money to clean up the Environment?  If you have
to ask, you'll never understand.

 Now, the lead you might get out of old batteries might not be
particularly good stuff - there are dozens of alloys used, depending on
the battery maker's ideas - but that's a different problem.

 Now, why don't you get back down on your belly and crawl out of here,
and go bother the people on sci.environment or alt.stupid or some place?

=======================================================================
can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
(Nazareth)               XJ900 TURBO at 15psi          DoD# 978 xKotFAQ
=======================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 20:32:43 GMT

>> I'm all for DIY projects, but this just sounds like a REAL bad idea.
>> I would put this past being politcally incorrect.  I feel this would
>> be very environmentally unsound, pretty dangerous without the right
>> sort of protective gear and almost definitely illegal (both water and
>> air pollution) in most places.  Remember, old batteries are
>> categorized as hazardous wastes for good reasons.

Ah yes, and for a small fee, the government can dispose of it nicely
and make it all better.  (And people criticised the church for selling
indulgences in the 1500's ???)

-Eric "hates the term politically-correct" P.

-- 
--
Governments that don't trust honest people with weapons, deserve no trust.

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 20:18:15 GMT

>>I just don't imagine one will save all that much $$.
>
>You may be right but it is probably good to stash away for that rainy
>day when they ban ammo and reloading components. This is Joe Cool for
>Channel 5 news. Police are at a loss to explain the recent rash of
>thefts. Theives have been stealing batteries and wheel weights from
>parked cars. Police suspect some type of Fraternaty initiation requirememnt.

Pipe bombs wired to the battery of an anti-gun politician's car
usually get the message across that guns aren't the ONLY way, just
the most SELECTIVE way to get rid of someone you don't like..  :^)

Eric "Pipe ban?  How about a Gasoline ban? no, a CRIMINAL ban"  P.