Subject: Silversmithing Stakes

From: [email-masked] (Marc Edgar)
Date: 25 Jan 1994 22:06:24 GMT

Greetings,
I would like to make a copy of a set of colonial sugar tongs.  They
are about six inches long and have a small spoon shape at the end
to grab lumps of sugar.  I have seen a stakes (I hope I have this
right, the thing that you put in the anvil used to form a particular shape)
in the tool catalogs for $16 to $25 for spoons and $100 and up for 
larger shapes.  These prices are more than I'd like to pay.

Now my questions,
1.  What type of steel should be used for a homemade stake?  
2.  Should it be hardened?

Thanks netland.
Marc Edgar
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: 26 Jan 94 13:32:33 GMT

>[email-masked]

Questions:  Will this work be done hot or cold?

            Are you planning on making one or two sugar tongs, or are you
            planning on making a lot?

If you want to make a stake that will last for a long time you will need
to make it out of a higher carbon steel.  If the work is going to be hot
then you would need to use one of the special hot work steels like A7 (or
is it A13).

If it is for cold work, then any general tool steel would work.  You might
be able to find scrape steel that is usable.  Car springs (leaf and coil)
are good sources for tool steel.  Truck and car axles are a good source
for larger pieces.

There is another posibility.  It may be possible to make a form out of
wood.  Use the end grain of a fairly hard wood.  If you are doing cold
work, hollow out a piece the size you want. It will only last for two or
three uses, but then you can cut the end of the board off and start over. 
If you are doing hot work, don't even bother to cut the shape.  Put the
hot piece up there and start shaping.  It will burn a hole as you work. 
Be sure to do this in a area that is well vented, and has enough of a
draft to carry the smoke away from your face.  It is hard to work when you
are squinting to keep the smoke out of your eyes.  I have done this to
make iron spoons.  It is kind on fun, and it will really impress people
who are watching.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214

---

From: [email-masked] (John Anderson)
Date: 29 Jan 1994 00:42:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Marc Edgar) writes:

=Greetings,
=I would like to make a copy of a set of colonial sugar tongs.  They
=are about six inches long and have a small spoon shape at the end
=to grab lumps of sugar.  I have seen a stakes (I hope I have this
=right, the thing that you put in the anvil used to form a particular shape)
=in the tool catalogs for $16 to $25 for spoons and $100 and up for 
=larger shapes.  These prices are more than I'd like to pay.
=
=Now my questions,
=1.  What type of steel should be used for a homemade stake?  
=2.  Should it be hardened?
=
=Thanks netland.
=Marc Edgar
=[email-masked]
=

I bought a big ( 24 oz.? ) ball peen hammer at a flea market for $3.00
I rented about 4 videos, and sat down with the hammer, file, 220 - 600
grit sand paper, a rag, tripoli, and red rouge, and shaped and polished
both faces.  I put the hammer in a vise, and it makes a great stake.
I have raised several brass containers on it with only minor touch ups.
Just make sure what you're working is clean ( oxide if very hard and will
damage the face ) and don't hit it with steel.

John

--
 [email-masked] 
==========================================================
      The ones whom you should try to get even with
            are the ones who have helped you.
==========================================================