Subject: DROs

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 30 Mar 1994 18:07:58 GMT

I noticed in the yearly index for Projects in Metal that there was an
article titled 'Two DROs Under $125 Per Axis' in the August issue.
That backissue is available and I've ordered it, but I was wondering
   a) Did anyone see the article and what they thought of it and
   b) What kind of cheap solutions are folks using?  What kind
      of accuracy do you get?

I mean, I only paid $1K for my mill, I can't see paying $2K for DROs.

While I'm at it, how about cheap powerfeeds?  Any ideas there?
-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     [email-masked]  |Best error message that wasn't
(bitnet)       amaranth@oakland               |supposed to show up: HODIE
(uucp)         ...!uunet!umich!vela!amaranth  |NATUS EST RADICI FRATER

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: 1 APR 94 07:45:25

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth) writes...
>While I'm at it, how about cheap powerfeeds?  Any ideas there?

Ive thought a lot about using an electric screwdriver or electric wrench as a
cheap power feed. Make an adaptor, maybe nothing more than a socket wrench,
which mates to the hub of the machines handwheel. When you want to power feed
you just pickup the electric driver and hold it against the handwheel.

I havent tried this, but it seems it ought to work. Probably wouldnt be good
for a production machine to run all day, but for a home shop it should be fine.

ron ginger