Subject: Plasma Cutter - purchase advice

From: Greg Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Feb 1994 01:42:41 GMT

I was glad to find this forum of experts.

I haven't used a plasma cutter, but everyone I talk with praises them.

I'm planning to buy a plasma cutter for use in my sculpture studio - thin
and medium gauge materials would be typical, rarely 1/4" or 1/2" mild
steel would be cut.  Bronze, stainless, and aluminum would also be
worked.  The torch would be used frequently for short periods, but
certainly not constantly.

Like everyone else I'd like to keep costs down and reliability high.

I've got some info on (I think) Hobart and Miller systems.  I've seen the
Harbor Freight catalog listings for Chicago Electric plasma cutters. 
Because of price, the Harbor Freight equipment is tempting, but I'd like
to hear both from people who have purchased from them and from anyone
who's worked with the Chicago Electric cutters (or ANY Chicago Electric
equipment).

What features are critical or helpful in plasma cutting equipment?  

What repairs/maintenance is typical?  

What wears out and how long can the equipment be expected to last?

What operating costs/expenses are typical? 

How can you tell if you're buying more or less capability than needed?

How would you check out used equipment and where would you watch for it?

Answers or responses to ANY of the above questions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

<[email-masked]>