Subject: Silver Solder Works!

From: [email-masked] (Bob Neidorff)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 14:15:43 GMT

A while ago, I asked for advice on solder that was stronger than
common tin/lead.  Some advised brazing and others talked of silver
and other solders.  I bought some acid-core 96 Tin / 4 Silver
solder under the Kester trade name.  

I used it with a conventional soldering iron.  The results were
very good.  It flowed extremely quickly and the wetting was very
good.  In one place where I really wanted a solid mass, I was able
to hold the work upside down and have a drop of solder flow there.
It is indeed stronger than tin lead solder, although I can't say
if it is the 4 times stronger that it was advertised.  As the flux 
was acid based, I washed the work very well when done.

On the down side, the flux splattered badly hitting everything in 
sight.  Also, the solder seemed to flow very quickly, so it was 
not a good product to achieve a good, thick tin coating.  Although
it is more expensive than tin lead solder, it wasn't that much more
expensive.

I used it to repair my glasses.  Now I can see again!  
It's a miracle!  I'm cured!  :-)

-- 
Bob Neidorff; Unitrode I. C. Corp.  |  Internet: [email-masked]
7 Continental Blvd.                 |  Voice   : (US) 603-429-8541
Merrimack, NH  03054-0399 USA       |  FAX     : (US) 603-424-3460

---

From: Bill=Nott%Graphics=Dev%PCPD=[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 15:24:10 GMT

>solder under the Kester trade name.  

   < snip >
>It's a miracle!  I'm cured!  :-)

    That's interesting! How did you see to do the repair?? :-)

      Bill (Can't do .sig's, so usually leave them out)
             - Support my right to keep bare arms -

---

From: [email-masked] (Len Moskowitz)
Date: 7 Mar 1994 10:25:26 -0500

>solder under the Kester trade name.  

You can also use a 2% silver solder that's available from Radio Shack.
This is intended for electronics work and has a rosin-core flux.  Strong
stuff.

-- 
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Woods)
Date: 18 Mar 1994 03:45:10 GMT

There is also 60/40 silver/tin, which is MUCH stronger. Unfortunately, 
the stuff runs about $175.00/pound.

					-Chris

--
Christopher J. Woods            TIAC: The Internet Access Company
[email-masked]  [email-masked]  [email-masked]
telnet max.tiac.net and login `new', password `new' for 14-day demo
+1 617 275 0331 300-14,400bps  +1 617 275 2221 voice (office)