Subject: I need a metal detector

From: [email-masked] (Roger Hoover)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 16:08:26 GMT

Back in the '70s there was a metal detector fad and one
could buy a whole range of metal detection equipment at
almost every department store and catalog outlet.  I'm
interested in one of these devices to locate nails in
lumber and I don't know where to buy one.

1) Does anyone out there have one taking up valuable
   closet space?  Want to sell it?

2) Where can I buy a new one?  Any mail order sellers?

roger hoover
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Wyatt)
Date: 7 Mar 1994 16:52:49 GMT

I saw new ones in Radio Shack.
(~$80 CDN).

-- 
J. Robert Wyatt     613-763-9665         |E-Mail --------->>>> [email-masked]
Bell-Northern Research Ltd.              |-----------------------------------
P.O. Box 3511, Station C                 |   My views are my own, Right??
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y-4H7         |     Flames to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 1994 13:12:42 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> 2) Where can I buy a new one?  Any mail order sellers?
You can get small hand-held detectors to do this from your DIY
store.  They cost about $10. (UK price!)

I have one and it works fairly well. They detect cables, nails,
etc, but are also sensitive to things with non-metallic
iron (e.g. the iron oxide impurities in
plasterboard).  So it can be hard to find wires in your wall,
but a nail in an isolated piece of timber should be OK.

Clive W. 

!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!