Subject: Aluminum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 01:49:44 GMT

Can a wood burning furnace create enough heat to melt
aluminum?  Is it very plausable?  What sort of flux 
would you suggest?
                                     Steve Mather

---

From: [email-masked] (Sid VanKampen)
Date: 15 Mar 1994 06:45:43 GMT

>aluminum?  Is it very plausable?  What sort of flux 

yes, a wood burning furnace can create enough heat to melt aluminum, in fact it
 can be quite messy. we (eastern MI people) have used an old gas burner, like 
the kind for camping. check out Tim McCreight's manuals for exact melting temps,
 etc.  AND, any low temp. flux would work, (I'm assuming) seeing as how a 
normal casting flux might not fully melt for the temps that most grades of 
aluminum melt at. (Wonderful English grammar, I know...)  Oh, by the way, a
wood burning furnace has the capability to even burn out most investments on 
the market (i.e. KERR). You can check whether your flask is ready by making
sure that the burnout grey color has changed to white again. Happy casting.

 							Laura
-- 
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 17 Mar 94 21:05:14 GMT

Absolutly! Bronze (in huge amounts have been melted with wood).
Iron and steel also. Rodins "Gates of Hell" recently.
-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |