Subject: Need advice on old Anvil

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Custer)
Date: 11 May 1994 17:38:32 GMT

I recently got my hands on my first anvil.  Unforturely it has been abused to 
the point that the face is almost as round as the horn.  I have a couple of 
questions for the group:

	1.  Is it possible to return it to serviceable condition?

	2. Is it worth the time and money?

	3. What is the best way to repair or get it repaired ?

Thanks in advance.

Dale R. Custer

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: 12 May 1994 17:12:23 GMT

>         3. What is the best way to repair or get it repaired ?

Yes!  Old anvils can be repaired if you can weld.  The worst one I have
repaired had triangular sections missing on both sides that were 6"
long and an inch deep in the center.  I has able to build up the
missing sections and restore the original square corners after many
hours of welding.

There are some tricks to this.  Let me know if you would like more
details.

Steve Hampson                           
Blue Sky Research
503-222-9571

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Mitchell)
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 20:02:54 GMT

> There are some tricks to this.  Let me know if you would like more

Please post any refinishing information.
I think many of us would be interested.
I just got a nice used 75lb anvil, and trimmed the
top with a hand-held grinder.  Same for the horn.
The square hole has a chunk (1/2") broken out,
and I would like to shape it up...

 - Robert Mitchell

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 May 94 12:22:30 -0500

> 	3. What is the best way to repair or get it repaired ?
The usual procedure around here (including my 80lb appx 1830 English
anvil) is to use hard-facing rods and a stick welder.  Build up the
corners and grind smooth with an angle grinder.  It may take a number
of steps to complete the rescue.  Unfortunately, I do not have the
exact specs on the welding rods - I was told that they are typically
used on bulldozer blades, etc. to harden the cutting edges.  The
Florida Artist Blacksmith Association (FABA) has rebuilt a number of
abused anvils for our shop at Barberville using this technique.

Steve Bloom (IronFlower Forge)