Subject: Re: Old Engines and Museums

From: [email-masked] (Ken Knaell)
Date: 10 Feb 1994 09:32:13 -0500

In rec.crafts.metalworking, [email-masked] (Donald Bowen) writes:
[...]
>>There is a Museum in Vista California, someone mentioned it.  It is the
[...]
I also like old, new, innovative, weak, strong, ... unusual engines
and hate to see this thread die.  For those who are interested the NAMES
(North American Model Engineering) show/convention will be held for
the (approximately) 6th time at the Yack Arena in Detroit, MI in mid
April (sorry I do not have the date with me) again this year.  You can
undoubtedly find  this announcement in Home Shop Machinist in the next
few issues.  This is the American equivalent of the British Model Engineering
activity that has quite a long history.  It has apparently grown every
year and is quite interesting.

They have engines of all kinds though mainly minatures. Also all kinds
of related things like a local machine tool company stand, short courses
on casting metals, etc. The displayers and general attendees are quite
actively involved in building these things.

ken knaell - my opinions only

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Lampman)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 15:35:47 -0500

Don't know if this is the right group, but I saw the thread on old engines
and thought I'd toss this recommendation in.

My in-laws live just down the road from it, so even though my main old iron
interest is Studebakers, I went to the TriState (OH, IN, MI) Tractor and
Engine Show in Portland, Indiana, in August. It was something else! There
were over 2000 engines there, from Maytag washer motors all the way up to a
100 hp 2 cyl monster on a lowboy trailer that had a 17 foot flywheel. They
had a working belt-driven sawmill powered by a restored steam engine,
several other restored and functional steam engines, working steam
tractors, and lots of other turn of the century to the twenties steam and
stationary IC engine driven farm equipment being operated.  Of less
interest to me, but still intriguing, were something like 1000 restored
farm tractors, lined up by manufacturer by age- acres and acres of them, it
seemed! And a great swap meet!

This city boy got hooked, I guess- we'll time the annual visit to the
inlaws  to coincide with the show again this year!

Chuck Lampman
[email-masked]