Subject: Boxford lathe

From: [email-masked] (Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen TF.DT/DELAB)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 14:51:11 GMT

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Boxford lathe in good condition for a
reasonable price (~ US$ 2000). It is a benchtop model, approximately 32" between
centers. I have some experience with both Emco, Myford and MAS lathes, but not
with Boxford. 
Does anyone know anything about this kind of lathe?

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 20:36:47 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen TF.DT/DELAB" writes:
> reasonable price (~ US$ 2000).

A used Boxford for that money ! Hell ! In the UK you could buy a *very* nice
Colchester for that. I know Norway is expensive, but that's frightening.

I'm wary of Boxfords. This is probably because in the UK they're most popular
with schools and training colleges, so all the S/H ones seem to have had a
very hard life. Apart from that, they're fine lathes.

Again this may be a factor of the ones I've seen, but they tend not to be
too sophisticated: V belt speed selection, no power feed, changewheel
screwcutting. Nothing *wrong* with that, but it's not exciting either.

The usual Boxford 4 way toolpost is a nice compromise between the space
available and the use of industrial-sized tools. It's not as nice as the
Myford quick change height-adjustable toolholders, but then you don't have to
buy half-size tools at double the price either.

Usual buying stuff applies here; is it big enough, is the speed range
adequate, what tooling comes with it, what else could you get for the same
money ?

--
Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]

Klein bottle for sale.     Apply within.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen TF.DT/DELAB)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 09:51:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andy Dingley) writes:
|> In article <[email-masked]>
|>            [email-masked] "Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen TF.DT/DELAB" writes:
|> > I have the opportunity to purchase a used Boxford lathe in good condition for a
|> > reasonable price (~ US$ 2000).
|> 
|> A used Boxford for that money ! Hell ! In the UK you could buy a *very* nice
|> Colchester for that. I know Norway is expensive, but that's frightening.
|> 

Yes, it's very depressing.

|> I'm wary of Boxfords. This is probably because in the UK they're most popular
|> with schools and training colleges, so all the S/H ones seem to have had a
|> very hard life. Apart from that, they're fine lathes.
|> 
|> Again this may be a factor of the ones I've seen, but they tend not to be
|> too sophisticated: V belt speed selection, no power feed, changewheel
|> screwcutting. Nothing *wrong* with that, but it's not exciting either.
|> 
|> The usual Boxford 4 way toolpost is a nice compromise between the space
|> available and the use of industrial-sized tools. It's not as nice as the
|> Myford quick change height-adjustable toolholders, but then you don't have to
|> buy half-size tools at double the price either.
|> 
|> Usual buying stuff applies here; is it big enough, is the speed range
|> adequate, what tooling comes with it, what else could you get for the same
|> money ?

Yes, it's big enough, but of course I could have used a bigger one. 
I was tempted to buy a MAS instead, but it weighs about 1500 kg, and I cannot 
figure out how to get it down into my basement. It was also considerably more
expensive.

For the same money, I can get a new lathe made in Taiwan, but with only about 18"
between centers and a smaller swing, which makes it too small for me. The 
"Smithy" A300 also costs about the same in Norway....

The problem is that there is not much used equipment for sale here. The Boxford
was on sale from a professional dealer, and of course he wants to make a profit.

I also considered the Myford 256, but £ 3800 + freight and VAT is just too much
money, although it looks very nice.

Perhaps I should start looking for used equipment in the UK instead.

|> 
|> --
|> Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]
|> 
|> Klein bottle for sale.     Apply within.
|>

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 19:42:34 +0000

I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced.

If you'd like, I can snail-mail you a copy of "Industrial Exchange & Mart"
a UK paper that carries adverts for all sorts of industrial kit, including
many machine tool dealers. I live in Newcastle, North East England, so I'm
used to seeing ferry-loads of Norwegians over here for Christmas shopping.
I've never seen anyone come over to buy a lathe though !  8-)