Subject: Re: How do I restore rusted steel wheels?

From: [email-masked] (Bill Vance)
Date: 11 Feb 94 06:18:11 GMT

Dave Williams ([email-masked]) wrote:

>-> Do any of you netters have any ideas as to how I should go about
>-> cleaning these up and making them usable again? I am also concerned
>-> about safety. The welds and centers look ok. But, the rust/pitting
>-> looks bad.

> Use a wire wheel and four favorite rust dissolver, then a good smooth
>coat of epoxy.  Your local hobby supply place can fix you up with all
>sorts of epoxy.

> You might see if the wheels from a Mini will fit.  The British and
>Japanese shared a lot of technology back in the '60s.

> Good luck with your car!  I always liked the Honda 600.
>                              

As a non abrasive alternative, you might consider whey.  That's the liquid in
cottage cheese.  When I was a volunteer fireman years ago, we used to use it
to clean out the pumps on our American LaFrance Hook and Ladder truck.  Just
immerse the rusty stuff over night in almost any milk product, wash it off
in the morning, and you're ready to go.  It's the mild acid that does the
trick.

--
A weapon         +  Help cut down on      +  [email-masked] (Bill Vance)
in every hand =  +  Government Spending;  +  rwing!xpresso!bill Bothell, Wa.
Freedom          +  Resurect a Local      +  You listen when I xpresso,
on every side.   +  Militia near You!     +  I listen when uuxpresso....:-)