Subject: Gravers _or_ hand-turning metal

From: Gregory P. Widin <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 1994 19:36:04 GMT

I've become interested in hand-turning brass.  I suppose one could call
this ornamental turning.  Over the years, Model Engineer has run several
short articles dealing with this process, notably by Geo H Thomas, Tubal
Cain (Tom Walshaw), and a few short bits from Ian Bradley.  The
information seems a little bit skimpy to me, though, and since I like to
read everything I can get my hands on before trying out a new way of
making chips, I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and what their
results have been.  The mentioned articles state that hand turning is a
good way to quickly add the odd chamfer or decorative detail, or to
deburr things in hard-to-access places.

In case you're wondering, I'm planning to (try to) make some brass
candlesticks (sounds like high-school shop, doesn't it), for my wife.  My
theory is that if I can make her something she likes, instead of various
tools to make other tools, she would have an increased appreciation of my
machining activities.
Greg Widin                3M Hardgoods and Electronics Support Division
[email-masked]                                      Building 260-6A-08  
(612) 736-6708                                     St. Paul, MN   55144

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 1994 14:21:02 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Gregory P. Widin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> tools to make other tools, she would have an increased appreciation of my

Er, no, it rarely works like this.  At least not in my workshop.

Clive W.

-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 19:53:30 GMT

>>>>> "Clive" == Clive Washington <[email-masked]> writes:

>> tools to make other tools, she would have an increased appreciation of my

Clive> Er, no, it rarely works like this.  At least not in my
Clive> workshop.

Well, I have had just the opposite reaction.  Being able to fix or
make something my wife wants/likes from materials I have been saving
and with tools I have sitting around, has made her much more
sympathetic to tool purchases and materials purchases.  However, I
have been priming her for 15 years by telling her when I buy things
how often they will be used, and when I make something with hoarded
materials,  to make sure to let her know that if I had not bought them
ages ago when they were not needed, I would not have them to fix/make
what she wanted "right now".  She now even points out bargains to me
at garage sales, etc.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California