Subject: Hey, Dion!

From: [email-masked] (JOSEPH A. ZELINSKI)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 05:52:18 GMT

An open posting to Dion Hollenback:
    Sir:
     I have read several of your postings in recent months on diverse topics
   including  threadchasing, gunsmithing, and most of all electroplating. In
   article #4314 dated 03-25-94, you mentioned having extensive hands-on
   experience in your family's electroplating biz...
    Would you consider writing some sort of summation of your knowledge and
   experiences in the metal finishing field for the enlightenment of fellow
   net.readers and possible inclusion in the r.c.m faq?
     As a journeyman toolmaker, I feel that these hands on learning exeriences
   are of great import, most particularly when *shared*.  What say Ye?
                                                        Cheers, Joe.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 17:41:20 GMT

>>>>> "Joe" == JOSEPH A ZELINSKI <[email-masked]> writes:

Joe>       An open posting to Dion Hollenback:

Joe>      I have read several of your postings in recent months on
Joe>    diverse topics including threadchasing, gunsmithing, and most
Joe>    of all electroplating. In article #4314 dated 03-25-94, you
Joe>    mentioned having extensive hands-on experience in your
Joe>    family's electroplating biz...  Would you consider writing
Joe>    some sort of summation of your knowledge and experiences in
Joe>    the metal finishing field for the enlightenment of fellow
Joe>    net.readers and possible inclusion in the r.c.m faq?  As a
Joe>    journeyman toolmaker, I feel that these hands on learning
Joe>    exeriences are of great import, most particularly when
Joe>    *shared*.  What say Ye?

Well, on the one hand, I am glad to share what information I have, but
on the other hand, it is quite outdated (mid 1960's) and I never
understood the details of the chemical interactions beyond a very
surface understanding.  I continually follow this newsgroup and would
be happy to contribute to any questions in the area, but in many
instances, I have been contradicted by others due to age of my
knowledge as well as narrow focus in the field, when they have
knowledge outside of my own.

I feel it might be misleading to distill what I know into the FAQ.  It
might be better if someone volunteered to be an editor and solicited
info from everyone who might know anything about plating.  I cannot
volunteer to do this as I am already volunteered as editor of a FAQ in
another group, which I am sorely behind on.  I would be glad to be a
contibutor. 

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California