Subject: How Do I Color Stainless Steel?

From: [email-masked] (Don Montgomery)
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 15:50:57 GMT

Hello

I'm new to this newsgroup so please forgive me if this has been 
discussed before.  I've looked in the FAQ and can't find an ans-
wer.

I have a need to color stainless steel.  I don't know the grade
or composition; it's the type of s/s used in decorative automot-
ive applications.  It is not attracted to a magnet.

I want to stain this s/s black.  I've already tried gun bluing
with absolutely no glimmer of results.  Paint won't work; its
wear qualities are too poor.

Can anyone offer any help?  Is there a commercial product that
will achieve my end results?

Either e-mail to the address below or post a followup.  

Thanks

Don Montgomery, Santa Rosa, CA
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: 13 May 1994 12:36:23 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Don Montgomery, Santa Rosa, CA

I have seen knifemaker anodize stainless but I know nothing
about the process.

---

From: [email-masked] (John De Armond)
Date: Sun, 15 May 94 04:40:59 GMT

>wear qualities are too poor.

Contact Brownell's.  They're a gunsmithing supply company.  Grab
most any gun magazine to find the number.  They carry a full line
of metal coloring products including those for stainless steel.

-- 
John De Armond, WD4OQC, Marietta, GA    [email-masked] 
Performance Engineering Magazine.  Email to me published at my sole discretion
You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between
what is moral and ethical and what is legal.