Subject: Old English Car Hardware - Questions

From: [email-masked] (Al Richer)
Date: 4 Mar 1994 10:49:39 -0500

I have just deluded myself into buying an old Land-Rover basket cas.
Unfortunately,
from examination I have determined that the old bucket's missing a fair number
of nuts and bolts. Did I luck out and this thing's going to be commonly
available fasteners, or did I just buy mysel f world of trouble and 
need to dig up a special-fasteners catalog?

Any and all information will be gratefully acknowledged, be it on this
specific problem or Land-Rovers in general.

 Email would be preferred, as I don't know that the group wants to hear
about my problems...8*)

 	I can be reached either at the response address above or at
[email-masked]. Thanks a million

				ajr

---

From: [email-masked] (Lord C)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 15:56:30 +0000

> need to dig up a special-fasteners catalog?

***Why dont you write to Landrover in Birmingham and order the parts from them
   i dont know what fasteners you have in mind ,are they just simple bolts
   or something special??

-- 

  |----------------------------------------------------|
    Lord Charvington of London
    resides at [email-masked]
    dont forget your e-mail address if you want a reply
  |----------------------------------------------------|

---

From: [email-masked] (Lord C)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 19:01:16 +0000

>  I have just deluded myself into buying an old Land-Rover basket cas.

***There is now a monthly magazine called *Landrover World*  which contains
   ads for suppliers etc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 19:23:26 GMT

A while ago someone posted a source for damascus blade, blanks and billets.
I think they came in a variety of materiels and patterns and were priced
by the inch. Is the poster still around or did anyone keep a copy, it
would be appreciated. Thanks.

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 7 Mar 94 20:17:59 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Al Richer) writes:
> available fasteners> 

the good news it that the nuts & bolts are probably NOT metric.  The bad
news is that they are not american either...that means that an american nut
probably WON'T fit on a bolt of the "right size".  Check with rover for the
availability of parts (or other english car suppliers since the british
standards might apply).

JK

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken McNair)
Date: 16 Mar 1994 21:11:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John Kopf,
X6305) writes:
|>In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Al Richer) writes:
|>> 
|>> from examination I have determined that the old bucket's missing a
fair number
|>> of nuts and bolts. Did I luck out and this thing's going to be commonly
|>> available fasteners> 
|>
|>
|>the good news it that the nuts & bolts are probably NOT metric.  The bad
|>news is that they are not american either...that means that an american nut
|>probably WON'T fit on a bolt of the "right size".  Check with rover for the
|>availability of parts (or other english car suppliers since the british
|>standards might apply).
|>
|>JK

Possibly British Standard Fine (BSF) for the biggies and British Association
(BA) for the small stuff (electrical, trim, etc).
I got all the wrenches, but shipping would be pricey from Ottawa.
Anyone interested ??? 
              
Ken.

---

From: Kathreen Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 00:46:32 -0500

>A while ago someone posted a source for damascus blade, blanks and billets.
 
Another message from Martin.
 
"There are a number of sources in a copy of BLADE MAGAZINE or KNIVES ILLUSTRATED
both of which may be available at BOOKSTAR.  If you want to talk knives, just
give me a call at 818-713-0172.
 
I'll (Martin) will be hosting a meeting of the CA KNIFEMAKERS ASSOC. in May
which will be a one day hammer-in.  If you're interested, give me a call."