Subject: Homebuilt TIGs

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 May 1994 02:50:01 GMT

Has anyone ever come across plans for a homebuilt  TIG machine?
I have looked in machinery sale columns for a while now and secondhand
TIGs here in New Zealand are far and few between.

Cheers

Chris Price

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Mayhugh)
Date: 5 May 1994 14:00:33 GMT

> TIGs here in New Zealand are far and few between.

If you are interested in only a DC process, it is quite easy to convert
a SMAW (stick) machine to a scratch start TIG. You just have to add the TIG
torch and Argon cylinder. If you need the high frequency/AC capability it
is more difficult and expensive to add a commercial or home made h.f. unit.
Also the capacity of the main transformer has to be considered. An
asymmetrical rectification of the AC waveform occurs during a TIG AC
process causing a net dc to flow thru the transformer which reduces its
effective current capacity. Some have tried adding h.f. to a garden variety
225Amp AC welder and have been very disappointed with the resulting current
capability and duty cycle.