Subject: Unusual files...

From: [email-masked] (Brett Miller)
Date: 31 Mar 94 21:14:52 GMT

I'm pretty well stocked at the moment, but does anyone know of
a file company that still makes cant saw files?  As far as I know
their only use is sharpening large cross-cut files.

Thanks,
Brett
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Brett Miller
Comshare Inc, Ann Arbor MI
[email-masked]

*********************************************************************
* The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Comshare. *
* In fact, they might not even be mine.  I'm just argumentative.    *
*********************************************************************

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-feed-2.peachnet.edu!darwin.sura.net!howland.reston.ans.net!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!news.umbc.edu!eff!news.kei.com!yeshua.marcam.com!charnel!olivea!news.bu.edu!noc.near.net!news.delphi.com!usenet Sun Apr  3 09:06:53 EDT 

1994
Article: 4391 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-feed-2.peachnet.edu!darwin.sura.net!howland.reston.ans.net!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!news.umbc.edu!eff!news.kei.com!yeshua.marcam.com!charnel!olivea!news.bu.edu!noc.near.net!news.delphi.com!usenet
From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Rockwell milling machine - should I buy it?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 20:45:57 -0500
Organization: Delphi ([email-masked] email, 800-695-4005 voice)
Lines: 15
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: delphi.com
X-To: Alden  Hackmann <[email-masked]>

I wouldn't buy a machine tool sight unseen, especially a milling machine.
It could cost a lotyto put it in good shape. One of the nicest things about
a vertical miller is you can use it for a poor-man's jig driller/borer. If
the lead screw is worn this becomes inaccurate in that axis. If the ways
are worn, adjusting the gib for table center will cause binding as you
run the table out and the table will elevate at the same time. They use
very high class bearings that are very expensive to replace. And on and on.
All of this can be fixed (for money). You don't say how much it is. I'd
ask the seller to warrant the condition at least. I'd ask if the seller
(if not the original owner) knows where it was used and for what. But if
you're buying it FOB, I'd make bloody sure I could FOB it back to the guy.
All that said, they have an excellent reputation.
 
Good luck,
Charlie (I have a Clausing 8530 and dearly love it)