Subject: Re: Computer Index for Model Engineer Mag.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 94 16:22:49 -0500

I did the same thing with TEE, but on the volume a month plan. And yes
the shipping is what really racks up the price. They sometimes have these
buy 3 and get one free deals, which helps. The 50's are excellent with
lots of Edgar T. Westbury, LBSC, Duplex, etc.  Martin Evans comes in the
late 50's and I think he basically saved the magazine as they were really
going down the tubes in the very late 50's/early 60's. By 1964 they were
really putting out a quality magazine again. I plan on eventually going
back to just post WWII, mostly for the ETW and LBSC. I've seen a volume
from WWII and a LOT of it is how to make do with virtually nothing. They
were very good at that. It is a humbling thing but I think very good to
see what could be made with ONLY a lathe and perhaps a drillpress. Makes
you realize that if you aren't making the quality of models you'd like,
it ain't your machine tools! The true classic is this guy who built a
pacific class loco (4-6-2) that won the gold medal (this about 1954 of
so), and he did a 4-part series on how he made it. Last article shows
his shop -- he made the whole locomotive with a 4" round bed Drummond
where the compound is held to the cross-slide with visegrips. Appears that
a bomb landed in the next building over and his lathe took a bit of the
blast. So if you've already got a milling machine but you figure you
probably just can't do a decent job without a B'port, well.....
 
Charlie

---

From: [email-masked] (LrandolphL)
Date: 11 Apr 1994 10:33:04 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:

>>>Makes
you realize that if you aren't making the quality of models you'd like,
it ain't your machine tools!<<<

Amen to that! one of the bedside readers has a piece about a lathe made in a
Jap POW camp ... that sort of thing point out the diference between a craftsman
and a bodger...

~L. Randolph Lee
Nantucket Island Model Eng. Soc.