Subject: Re: Electo-Plating

From: [email-masked] (Neal Howard)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 19:20:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Some of the nicest batteries for electro plating were the old zinc carbon
>cells from a phone exchange. 1.5V on each cell, and as they were each the
>size of a wine bottle they lasted for ever. AFAIK, they were rotated out of
>the exchange on a time basis, rather than discharge state, as there always
>seemed (in my youth) to be plenty of good condition ones around in the
>surplus shops.
Same here, in my youth, learning electronics from age 5 onward (grew up in
my dad's TV repair shop) I used to get those giant 1.5V dry cells by the
caseload to power my experiments with. One of my dad's buddies worked for
a burglar/fire alarm service company and they used those batteries as back-up
supplies in all of their systems. About every 3 months or so, they'd
replace them with new ones my dad's friend would bring me all the old ones.
They were about 8 inches tall by 3 inches diameter and were called something
like a No. 1 dry cell (or some other single digit number).
=========================================================================
Neal Howard     [email-masked]  CompuTrac,Inc. (Richardson,TX)
|355033|        Disclaimer: My opinions are mine, not CompuTrac's.        
DoD #686        "Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, and then perhaps
'91 XLH-1200     we shall learn the truth." - August Kekule' in 1890
=========================================================================