Subject: Experiences with the new Unimat?

From: [email-masked] (Robert Plamondon)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 22:06:40 GMT

My dad was a part-time gunsmith and swore by his Unimat for small jobs.
He believed that if it was too big for the Unimat, it was something you
ought to send out anyway.

I was thinking about buying a similar machine, and now I hear from the FAQ
that they don't make the "plain old Unimat" anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with the newer Unimats?  What about other
small lathes?  I want to stick to a brand that will still be around, and
still have parts, years down the road, though. (I was too dumb to claim
Dad's Unimat after he passed away, but my son will be coached properly.)

	-- Robert
-- 
Robert Plamondon * WEITEK Corporation * Home of SPARC Power uP (TM)
80 MHz clock-doubled SPARC processor upgrade for the SPARCstation 2 or IPX
FAX-back info line: (800) 827-8708  or (408) 522-7525
Info by ftp: in pub/weitek on netcom.com * Info by email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Shearer)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 20:03:34 GMT

>Dad's Unimat after he passed away, but my son will be coached properly.)

Two suggestions:  1) Sherline 3" or 2) EMCO Compact 5
Sherline is made in USA.
EMCO-Maier Co. (UNIMAT) is made in Austria.

Campbell Tools carries both, I have the EMCO 5" and the C5 unimill and I am
happy with my purchase.  I was very happy with the price and service from
Campbell and EMCO (I had two warranty problems, one handled by Campbell and
the other by EMCO -- WITHOUT QUESTION!) I only regret I didn't have the
money to buy the Maximat Super 11...  I'll just have to wear out the Compact
5 and HAVE to upgrade! or get the kids (boys 1.5 & 3.5 yo) into machining
requiring a NEW one for dad...

Campbell Tools Co.
2100 Selma Rd
Springfield, OH 45505
513-322-8562

a second supplier of both units:
Blue Ridge Machinery & Tools, Inc.
P.O. Box 536
Hurricane, WV 25526
800-872-6500

Both have a catalog for $1.00

Steve			 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: 14 MAR 94 19:32:35

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Robert Plamondon) writes...
>Dad's Unimat after he passed away, but my son will be coached properly.)

I had a Unimat 3 that I won in a raffle at my model boat club. Then I spent
about $600 to buy enough accessories to make it usefull.

But it was really useless because the motor was so under powered. I could turn
plastic OK, and aluminum in SMALL chips, bbut for steel it would make chips no
bigger than steel wool.

A visitor to my shop fell in love with my Unimat, to upgrade his old Unimat 
I made an offer and he bought it.

The Unimat 3 is no longer in production, can only be purchased used. I
understand accessories are still produced. The replacement is the UnimatPC,
which has returned tothe old style of round rod ways. Round rods that wear
cannot be repaired or adjusted.

At the North American Model Engineer show Sherline demoed their small lathes
and mills, and they were GREAT. very nicely made, and much more powerfull. Also
lots more acessories available, and at lower prices.

I have just last week ordered a Sherline lathe and mill, and have signed up to
be a Sherline Dealer. I will sell them through my model boat business. 

ron ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 11:23:57 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Robert Plamondon)
wrote:

>(Stuff about small lathes)

You ought to look out for the Cowells lathes.  These are made in the UK but
I recall that they have a US distributor.  They bought up the old
Perris "Modelmaker" design, I believe.  I have the old Modelmaker for small
work and it is excellent; far more rigid than the round bed Unimat.
It has full dovetail slides, back gear, screwcutting, etc.  I now have
an ML7 too but wouldn't part with the Modelmaker.  
-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!