Subject: Re: Building an air compressor

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 1994 14:12:37 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Allan Hill) wrote:

> 
> 	I'm new to reading this news group so sorry if this has come up recently.
> 
> 	I'm looking at building an air compressor. I want something that will 
> 	produce about 12cfm.
> 
> 	I'm looking at using bits from a four cylinder engine as a start.
> 
> 	Any idea's( better of different) comments or expirences with this type of
> deal ???
> 
> 

Have you considered using an old fridge compressor?  Most domestic
fridges are probably smaller than 12cfm, but if you go to someone
who repairs larger scale refrigeration machinery, they might have an
old unit in your range.

Clive W.
-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 19:31:04 GMT

>> Any idea's( better of different) comments or expirences with this type of

I have seen compressors made from Volkswagen engines.  Two cylinders
are still used to run the motor and two cylinders are used to pump air
by fitting an adapter in the spark plug holes.  Don't know any more
specifics than that.  If you really need more air, you could use all
four cylinders as pumpers and drive it with an electric motor.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California