Subject: Re: Anodizer wanted

From: [email-masked] (Insect God)
Date: 5 May 1994 23:41:35 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>If you want to anodize to precise thicknesses, all you need is to make a
>high-voltage current source (not much current needed for small parts). This can
>be made from any high-voltage transistor and three resistors. If you're just
>looking for the various colors ROYGBIV you need at most 100volts to get all of
>them. For Niobium, I use a solution of ammonium pentaborate, water, and 
>ethylene glycol -it produces very uniform results with practically no defects.

If I may ask, do you do aluminum?  and what would you use for it?  
Where does one get ammonium pentaborate?  

-Sheba     (anodizing wannabe)

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!corpgate!news.utdallas.edu!wupost!gumby!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!zip.eecs.umich.edu!yeshua.marcam.com!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!ihnp4.ucsd.edu!library.ucla.edu!csulb.edu!csus.edu!netcom.com!xlch58 Mon May  9 12:50:06 

EDT 1994
Article: 4811 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!corpgate!news.utdallas.edu!wupost!gumby!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!zip.eecs.umich.edu!yeshua.marcam.com!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!ihnp4.ucsd.edu!library.ucla.edu!csulb.edu!csus.edu!netcom.com!xlch58
From: [email-masked] (Charles B. Vincent)
Subject: Re: 1994 NAMES exhibition
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Organization: NETCOM On-line Communication Services (408 241-9760 guest)
X-Newsreader: TIN [version 1.2 PL1]
References: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 14:38:58 GMT
Lines: 24

Bob DeMers ([email-masked]) wrote:
: All this talk about model engines reminds me of an early radial piston
: aircraft emgine that I saw at an aviation museum.  It was rather bizarre in
: that the crankshaft was fixed and the cylinders rotated around in a solid
: chunk, carrying the propeller.  I can't imagine it was too successful, kind
: of like hanging a big reation wheel on the front of the plane.  I have
: always thought that it would be cool to build and run one of these.  Does
: anyone know if this has been done?  Are there plans or kits available?

: Bob

      This sounds like the engine mounted in the Sopwith Camel, one of the
few allied designs considered competetive with germany's best.  The spinning
mass of the engine gave the camel the reputation of a pilot killer.  
Evidently the plane had a tighter turning radius in one direction, and a 
heavy hand on the stick would cause it to flip and spin.  Pilots who mastered
it considered it unmatched.  They called it a rotary engine.  I used to 
think it was some kind of flying wankel, till I saw a picture of one.  
Unfortunately all my books are still packed from a recent move, or I would
look up all the specs for you.  I'll try to get into the attic this weekend
if no one else responds with more detail.

                                        Charles