Subject: Small 3 axis CNC mills

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 94 02:36:50 GMT

Small 3 axis CNC mills

Do any of the mill manufactures make small CNC mills like 
in the $4000 to $8000 range.  I work with AutoCAD and 3dstudio
have been shopping vertical mills and thought it would be great 
if there were small CNC mills available so I could use my computer
to control the mill.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 12 Feb 1994 23:24:55 -0800

I'm just in the process of fitting the third axis stepper to my Sherline
lathe / mill; From what I can tell, the DanCad3d package should allow me
to do the basics of defining toolpaths and having a part fall out of the 
machine at the end...

The appropriate electronics should be gettable for a few hundred dollars
(including steppers); if the Sherline is big enough, six hundred bucks will get
you quite a lot of flexibility and tooling.

You may want to talk to Cardinal Engineering in Cameron IL (?) who 
offer retro CNC packages on quite usable mills.  IF u can't find the number
there, email me and I'll get it to u.

Cheers / Mark