Subject: New Metalworking Organization "ArtMetal"

From: [email-masked] (Enrique R Vega -- E. Vega Studios)
Date: 26 Mar 1994 21:41:43 GMT

NETWORKING METAL discussion.

There are some interesting things going on here in North Carolina.  On
March 5, 1994, a group of metalsmiths met at E. Vega Studios in Apex for a
Working Metal workshop.  One of the goals of this meeting was to exchange
information and ideas with members of various metalworking disciplines,
especially those who hope to pursue their craft as a professional career.

Out of 52 participants, over 27 metal smiths filed out a survey desiring
for a professional metalworking organization.  We all met for an hour after
the demonstration to discuss some of the things that a good metalworking
organization should do.  Here are but a few of the responses:

*  The organization should address ALL metalworking disciplines.

*  Establish a network of creative metalsmiths who can interact, learn, and
share their experiences with other metalworking disciplines.

*  To seek out marketing and learning experiences for the professional
metalsmith.

*  Educate the public and private sector on the appreciation of high quality
hand crafted metalwork.

*  Establish a network for the dissemination of metalworing information and
opportunities through newsletters, workshops, shows, etc.  Even the
Internet!

*  Establish a slide registry for the membership.  Use the registry as a
marketing tool.

*  Work towards an International network of metalsmiths.

These are but a few of the suggestions which the group had to offer.  At
the end of the meeting, we asked, Where to from here?.  An overwhelming
response came.  Lets send out a newsletter to all interested metalsmiths,
and follow up with another meeting.  A meeting that will establish this new
organization and begin implementing our goals.

This is your opportunity to get involved on the ground floor for this new
organization.  If you are interested in getting involved, or would like to
suggest what  a good metalworking organization should do, drop me a line.

Enrique Vega
c/o ArtMetal
Rt. 3 Box 125
Apex, NC 27502

Let us know what you think!
E-Mail address:
[email-masked] (until March 31)
[email-masked] (after March 31)