Subject: Re: Buying a Mill - advice needed

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Sweeney)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 14:36:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
--- interesting stuff deleted ---
> One thing - my mid'40s manufacture Gorton mill was designed for
>operation by *short* people.  I'm not all that tall myself, but I put
>them mill up on 6" sections of 4x4 to raise it to a more practical
>height.

Could it be an *early* forties Gorton designed for operation by women
during WWII?
-- 

Jeff                                     [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 11 Feb 94 23:04:00 GMT

-> Could it be an *early* forties Gorton designed for operation by women
-> during WWII?

 mf date was 1945 according to the plate riveted to the column.  I've
been told other Gorton mills were similarly short.

 Looks like it would have been easier to make some short platforms for
the women to stand on than to make a custom column.