Subject: Re: Trip Hammer avalability/plans?

From: [email-masked] (Morgan Hall)
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 14:58:19 GMT

[email-masked] (Steve Hampson) writes:
(in reply to my question about trip hammers...)
...
>I know what you mean.  Perhaps you can find a friend to strike for you.
> Trip hammers show up for sale often in the "Hot Iron News", a
>quarterly newletter from the Northwest Blacksmith's Association (NWBA).
> Be prepared to spend $800 to $1500 for a good small one.

Super!! How do I get a subscription to this newsletter????  Could you
post or mail subscription info?

>You might also consider building a foot powered treadle hammer.  It can
>deliver a surprisingly strong blow and there is enough height below the
>head to allow the use of standard top tools.

Sounds like it might help for a while, but eventual plans need more power.

A striker would certainly help, but I don't have any close neighbors who
are interested to that point.  Most of my metalworking friends are quite a
ways away...

I'm trying to design my own, but not having seen or used one (photos just
don't show the detail I'd like) has been a problem.  I've used my father
as a sounding board, he did some blacksmithing in the mines in Montana/Idaho
in his youth and got to watch some real metal craftsmen (he's 82) and folks
that could really use trip hammers.  His ideas have changed mine to the
point I may try to build one even if I can find one for sale.

>Where are You located?

Outside of Wilsonville (about 15 miles south of Portland)

>Steve Hampson                           
>Blue Sky Research
>Portland, OR
>503-222-9571

Is there anyone else in the Portland, OR area who is interested in 
blacksmithing and foundry work?  It might be nice to try to get together
and compare notes, sources, tools, swap stuff or whatever!

Morgan Hall
Work:  Atlas Telecom
       Portland, OR
       503-228-1400