Subject: Re: Drawing wire or tube, was Re: Hardening Copper

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Vida-Szucs)
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 20:21:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Ron Ginger) writes:
|> 
|> 
|> Would you please elaborate on drawing wire and tube. Ive always wonderd how
|> that was done. I understand the idea, but how do you get started? If
I have a
|> wire or tube of a large sioze, and a die with a smaller hole how do I
get the
|> wire or tube thru the hole, then how do I pull it?

	You start by filing the end of the wire to a longish taper that will
	fit into the hole in the die.  Then you grab the tapered end from the 
	other side of the die with either pliers or draw tongs (which are
	a special mongo-sized plier for drawing wire), lubricate the die,
	and slowly and gently pull the wire through the hole.  Voy-luh!

	The wire must be annealed before drawing or else it galls, splits at
	the surface, gets very ratty and nasty, breaks often, and probably
	does nothing to help the service life of the draw plate.