Subject: Smithy AT-300 Lathe/Mill

From: [email-masked] (Chester A. Roberts, Jr.)
Date: 7 May 1994 14:15:27 GMT

I am planning to build a 1 1/2" scale Live Steam locomotive.
(Hudson type, 4-6-4).  Am starting from scratch with almost zero
metal working tools, but big dreams.  From what I can gather from
their advertising literature, the Smithy AT-300 would seem a
reasonable investment for this type of project.  [it's my under-
standing that tolerances to .001" are sufficient for live steam]
If you've used this machine, or can share some insights you've
heard about it, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

I just found out about this group the other day [rec.crafts.metal
working] and I'm hopeful that this topic hasn't already been
discussed earlier, and some good advice is available.

Many thanks,
Chet Roberts, ed510

---

From: [email-masked] (f.w.kerfoot..iii)
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 13:41:19 GMT

>From article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Chester A. Roberts, Jr.):
> 

I haven't used this machine, but I am building a live steamer (1 1/2"
scale Atlantic), and I previously built a 3/4" 2-4-0. From my
experience you will want a significantly more substantial machine
(really a set of machines) than the Smithy for a project of the sort
you describe. The Smithy might get you by for a modest 1 1/2" loco
like Mercer's 0-4-0 A5a, or for a smaller scale engine of a larger
prototype, but I would expect that a 1 1/2" scale Hudson on a Smithy
would be a monumental undertaking. There are lots of examples of
very ambitious projects made on modest machinery. The tradeoff is
in time to perform multiple setups, etc., and perhaps farming out
the bigger work. However, I'm not aware of any examples of success
with as big a stretch between machine capability and model size
as the one you propose. If you are serious about the 1 1/2" scale
Hudson, I would be thinking in the range of a knee type mill (i.e.
a Bridgeport or rough equivalent) and a 12" or so relatively
sturdy lathe (i.e. something more heavy duty than an Atlas/Sears).
The issue isn't tolerances, it is the size of the parts.
An alternative is to get the Smithy, and start with a more modest
model as a learning experience. A 1 1/2" Hudson is a fairly
ambitious undertaking for a neophite amateur machinist.
If you haven't already, try to get hooked up with a nearby (or
perhaps not so nearby) live steam club. You will get lots of advice,
as well as an opportunity to see some of the models in person.
A 1 1/2" Hudson is a BIG model (I would guess 12-15 feet long for
engine plus tender).  Buy a copy of Live Steam or Modeltec magazine 
to find the nearest club.

Frank Kerfoot
[email-masked]