Subject: Looking For an Anvil

From: [email-masked] (Gary huntress)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 94 18:13:21 GMT

I'm looking for a typical size, weight, cost and source for an anvil.

Just kinda want to have one in the shop......

Thanks,

Gary H.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis O'Connor)
Date: 16 Mar 94 12:10:15

[email-masked] (Gary  huntress) writes:
] I'm looking for a typical size, weight, cost and source for an anvil.

Source : horse-shoer's (ferrier's) supply store or cataloge
	 (check the yellow pages, ask a ferrier)

Weight : 5-500+ pounds ( I have a 70, want a 200. 5 pound is for
	leatherworkers and jewelers. Metalwork needs 50+ pounds.)

Price  : cheap new units, $1/pound (IMHO, don't bother)
	 good new units,  $3/pound
	 good used units, $1/pound (may need some resurfacing)

] Just kinda want to have one in the shop......

How do people live without one ? :-)
--
Dennis O'Connor                          [email-masked]
Intel i960(R) Microprocessor Division    Solely responsible for what I do.
"In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular."

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cavasin)
Date: 16 Mar 1994 19:14:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Gary  huntress) writes:
|> I'm looking for a typical size, weight, cost and source for an anvil.

Assuming you want a real blacksmith type anvil:
The most commonly found anvils (in these parts at least) are in the 75-150lb
range.  100lb most common.  It's a handy size, allowing you to do most of
what you would want to do with it, but still pick it up and move it if need
be (standard disclaimers apply).

The price I hear batted around alot is $1 per pound for a decent used anvil
(no cracks or major dings in the face or horn, no chunks missing from edge, etc.).
That said, anvils can often be had for alot less if you're at the right place
and the right time.
I bought my first 100lb anvil for $100 in an antique shop that was closing
down.  I got my second for free.  Farm auctions, garage/machine shop auctions,
flea markets, etc. are places to get cheap ones.  Smiths in your area may
know of anvils that are up for grabs from other smiths (but they'll know what
they're worth ;).

Oh, one caution.  Avoid the newer anvils that don't have a tool steel face
welded on (unless it's an all steel anvil, but these are rare).  The all-cast
iron anvils get all dinged up when you use them as anvils.  I think one make
of such  anvils is 'Buffalo', but I'm not sure. 

Good luck, Rick C.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 21:25:12 GMT

> I'm looking for a typical size, weight, cost and source for an anvil.

My too. So far my search has shown a couple of options.

Cheap all cast iron anvils $1 per pound (i.e. Northern 55lb @ $50)

Quality anvils, hardened face, hardy hole, etc. $4 per pound (i.e. Centaur
	Forge Mankel 130lb @ $487)

Scrounged Anvil (swap meet, auction, etc.) haven't found one yet :-(

I am planning on using the railroad track approach for the time being until
I have the money or find a reasonable priced anvil (now if I can only figure
out how to cut the track down :-).

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *

---

From: [email-masked] (william thomas powers)
Date: 17 Mar 1994 10:02:23 -0500

Gary writes:

Auction data: Columbus Ohio, 3/16/94

Anvil, Vaughn (?) 200 lbs; condition very nice, price $230
Post Vise, "regular size", bend in leg, price $25
Post Vise, MASSIVE, (>100 lbs),  great condition, with strong workbench,
	   price $50 (mine all mine hahahahahaha)
Swageblock, appx 18-24" square, very good condition, price $150

Auctions are usually pricy here for anvils; though not as bad as antique
dealers.  My best buys are at flea markets, garage sales, word of mouth.

Got my 165 lb peter wright, with a newly resurfaced face for $100 at a garage
sale....

If you show up at the Quad-State Blacksmith's Round-Up, held around
the end of September in Tipp City Ohio, you will find tons of anvils
for sale, (one year there were 10 triphammers on site forsale!)

Thomas Powers
Columbus, Ohio

---

From: Kathreen Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 00:35:24 -0500

>I'm looking for a typical size, weight, cost and source for an anvil.
 
I'm passing this information on from my husband who is a blacksmith.
 
"A good source is Centaur Forge in Burlington, Wisconsin.  They'll be listed
in information."
 
"They also have the best book list on blacksmithing related stuff in the
country."

---

From: Kathreen Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 00:41:11 -0500

>out how to cut the track down :-).
 
I'm passing this on from my husband who is a blacksmith.
 
"You can cut railroad track with an oxy-acetalene cutting torch, you just have
to put a big glob of clay on the metal on either side of the area to be cut to
keep the heat from spreading and ruining the temper.  If you want you can call
me at 818-713-0172.   Martin Kruse."