Subject: Re: Mill prices

From: [email-masked] (Ken Knaell)
Date: 16 Feb 1994 12:44:22 -0500

In rec.crafts.metalworking, [email-masked] (Russ Kepler) writes:
>I've been looking around locally (Albuquerque New Mexico) for a
>[...]
>Am I in a bad place to look for machinery?  Ahould I consider going to
>New Jersey or Michigan and trailering something back (a real option in
>my case)?
>[...]
I also know exactly what you mean.  The same problem I expect occurrs
in any small city and it did for me in Columbus, Ohio.  I suppose having
local availability is one of the (few) advantages in living in or close
to a large industrialized city.  Cameras are still cheaper in New York
city than they are any where else in the U.S. for similar reasons.
One might expect that they would be more expensive due to the high price
of everything else there but it doesn't work that way. Good luck with
your acquisition.

Ken Knaell's opinions only

---

From: [email-masked] (Clark Towle Gunsmith)
Date: 16 Feb 1994 18:38:53 GMT

In article <1994Feb15.084321.1@ssrl01>, [email-masked] writes:
>From: [email-masked]
>Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
>Subject: Re: Mill prices
>Date: 15 Feb 94 08:43:21 -0800
>Organization: SSRL, Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lab
>Lines: 35
>
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Russ Kepler) writes:
>> vertical mill and have been pretty disappointed at the availability
>> and prices.  I can find Bridgeports (can't recall the exact models)
>> for $4000 to $4500 (not adjusted for bargains) with no tooling or
>> vices (but power feed, variable speed and some with DRO).  I look at
>> adverts from other cities and find the same setup for a lot less...
>> 
>> Another alternative would be to buy a cheaper import, or arrange one of
>> the machinery shops to ship something to me here (someone like Sobel).
>> Any comments?
>> 
>> -- 
>> Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

 I'd give my left you_know_what to be able to locate a used in good condition
Bridgeport with variable speed head, power feed and DRO for $4000.00. :-)

 Even if you still had to put a grand into it for a rebuild, (ways, gibs, lead
screw nuts, etc) it would still be worth it.

 Especially seeing as they go 10 to 15K new now a days.

 I use a Bridgeport clone, a "Hartford" model which is a 1979 year of
manufacture Tiawanese machine that is of excellent quality and came DRO 
equipped that I paid a tad over $3000.00 for used, (including the cost of 
having it rebuilt later on).

 Comparable used Bridgeports in questionable condition in my area were
running $4500.00 to $5500.00 at the time I picked up the Hartford.

 Another thing to consider, used machinery prices seem to vary considerably
depending on what area of the country you are in and what the local economic 
conditions are like.

---
	%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        %     Opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.      %
        %                                                           %
        % The only way to ensure freedom?  Let every man be armed.  %
	%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%