Subject: charcoal

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 20:57:30 GMT

Are there any blacksmiths or knifemakers out there who have used 
charcoal in large quantities for their forging operations.  I believe that 
it will produce less smoke and a slightly hotter cleaner fire but I have to 
make the charcoal myself.  Is there anyone who has an opinion on the on one 
over the other.  Any comments will be appreciated.  Thanks.

	Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 18:41:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dave Burnard) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Dave Burnard)
>Subject: Re: charcoal
>Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 18:45:36 GMT
>In article <1994Apr4.150640.1@tntvax>, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> OK, I'll bite!
>> 
>> what is the process for turning wood into charcoal. (I know the part about
>> setting it on fire! :-) ).  What type/size of container do you burn in, and how
>> do you keep from getting nothing but ashes.
>> 
>> A simple "how to" would be appreciated as I have 4 large trees worth of
>> hardwood seasoning in my yard and would like to do more with it than just burn
>> it in the fireplace.
>> 
>> Thanks in advance
>> 
>> Barry
>> -- 
>> 
>> Barry B. Wolinetz             |   Opinions, etc.... mine, not those of the 
>> Northern Trust Co.            |   Northern Trust. 
>> Chicago, Il                   |
>>       
>
>Making your own charcoal can be a very involved process. There are several
>sources that describe it, available from Centaur Forge, whose address
>escapes me, but is in the FAQ. They describe how to build a charcoal "hut",
>and how to stack the wood inside, cover it and start the burn, making sure
>not to let much air into the process.
>
>You can try this at home as described by other posters...
>
>Alternatively, you can make small amounts of charcoal, by simply burning
>some scraps of wood and extinguishing the fire while there are still lots
>of blackened chunks about. 
>
>The master I went to see did both. We made several bushels of charcoal by
>burning wood and then plunging the remains into a bucket of water, and then
>air drying the charcoal that remained.
>
>Later a small charcoal hut was built and fired up.
>
>However, typically, the master would light up a big pile of wood scraps in
>the forge, let it burn for awhile and then using the embers from such a
>fire, he could make a good enough fire for general forging work. When he
>was welding, or laminating, he required extra heat, so he would use some of
>the previously prepared charcoal.
>
>Dave B
	Sorry I didn't snip but I hate my ediotr.  In "The complete 
bladesmith" the author says that you can make charcoal by starting a fire in 
a 50 gallon drum (Like a big metal can) and when you have a lot of wood on 
fire putting the lid on it.  You let this smolder and burn for many hours 
and when you can take a piece out and it's black all the way through you 
have charcoal.
	Rick