Subject: marking out fluids

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 12:01:49 +0000

Can someone please advise me on a good marking-out fluid to
use for high accuracy work, particularly on bright steel?

I've tried commercial opaques but they seem to flake off and
leave a ragged line.  They also don't stand up to handling too
well.  I'd like to see a fluid which can make a 1 thou line sharp
and will withstand a few days beating about on the machines.
Please note I probably can't get US branded stuff here.

I've also tried copper sulphate, but it doesn't take well on
oily surfaces.  I used to use a felt tip pen, which is convenient
but doesn't take a very visible mark.

Thanks all.

-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Iain Woolf)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 15:40:47 GMT

>but doesn't take a very visible mark.

Do you use the felt tip pen and then scribe through it? I shall have
to try that.

Does anybody have any homebrew recipes for making marking out fluids?

    Iain.
-- 
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Iain Woolf, BNR, Maidenhead UK | My opinions are my opinions    /~\__
 (0628) 794537     esn 590-4537 | [email-masked]    ^^             O -- O
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 22 Feb 94 20:24:18 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Clive Washington) writes:
> ....  I used to use a felt tip pen, which is convenient

Look for an "Indelable" (sp?) marker pen.  These are usually BLACK, solvent-
based (rather than water-based, so they won't come off with handling), and
intended for putting your name onto clothing (before you go off to camp),
so they're fairly stable (i.e., will withstand washing).  Remove with acetone
or paint-thinner when done.

JK

---

From: [email-masked] (Philip G Isaac)
Date: 28 Feb 94 16:32:13 GMT

I have used and still use liquid white shoe polish, copper sulfate, assorted
marking pens and plain old layout dye.  For important work, outline with 
prick punch marks.  But nothing beats good lighting.

P.Isaac