Subject: Re: Looking For an Anvil

From: [email-masked] (Ken Knaell)
Date: 17 Mar 1994 18:52:06 -0500

In rec.crafts.metalworking, [email-masked] (Andrew Vida-Szucs) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>[email-masked] (Gary  huntress) writes:
>|> I'm looking for a typical size, weight, cost and source for an anvil.
>
>        "Typical" depends on what you need to do.  I would suggest you
>
>|> Just kinda want to have one in the shop......
>

>        I understand :)

>        -Andy V.

	      I love it :)
		  Ken K.

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Vida-Szucs)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 17:31:56 GMT

"Typical" depends on what you need to do.  I would suggest you
	get one that is forged tool steel.  More $$, but IMO worth it, if
	you intend on actually using it.  Cast steel is OK for lighter
	work, but I question how safe they are if you begin to really pound
	it (shrapnel and all that).  Hard faced castings are better, but
	forged tool steel is the best.

	Peddinghaus makes pretty fine anvils, but a bit pricey.  You can get 
	them through places like Centaur Forge.  

	If you have small work, a 130 pounder should do you.  A 250 pounder
	will serve for larger work, but a good one will run over $1000.

	I understand :)

	-Andy V.