Subject: Re: Recommendation: MIG or Oxy-Accetalene ?

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 94 00:03:26 GMT

[email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
 
>Mike> Oxy-Accetalene however, seems more expensive.  How much do the
>Mike> 3' high tanks cost?
>
>This size of tanks will cost you about $250 and a regulator, torch,
>welding and cutting tips, and hoses will cost about another $200 or
>more.  A good MIG complete (100V Hobart Handler) will run about $700
>or more (that is if you go with the inert gas shielding, not just flux
>cored wire).

WHAT tanks will cost you $250?  For the Pair?  Hah!  I was looking
at a 282 cu ft oxygen USED for about $275.  I don't recall how much
the acetyline was?  (The 282 cu ft is about 5 ft high, but the smaller
tanks were not proportionally priced.  They were MORE $$ for a given
volume.) (I'm refering to tanks that are recently inspected & 
hydro'd with a new valve) 

The $200 for the torch set & regs you quote is probably about 
right.  I've seen Victor and Harris sets for as low as about $160.

My Father bought a 282 cu ft oxy and #4 (?) acetyline, with a victor
torch set and dolly for about $700 over 15 years ago.

-- 
"The middle class tax cut is central to any attempt we're going to make to have
a short term economic strategy.  Bill Clinton, Jan 1992.
"...the press thought the most important issue in the race was the middle class
tax cut.  I never did meet any voter who thought that." Bill Clinton, Jan 1993.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 23:14:59 GMT

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Perozziello <[email-masked]> writes:

Eric> [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
Mike> Oxy-Accetalene however, seems more expensive.  How much do the
Mike> 3' high tanks cost?
>> more.  

Eric> WHAT tanks will cost you $250?  For the Pair?  Hah!  I was looking
Eric> at a 282 cu ft oxygen USED for about $275.  I don't recall how much
Eric> the acetyline was?  (The 282 cu ft is about 5 ft high, but the smaller
Eric> tanks were not proportionally priced.  They were MORE $$ for a given
Eric> volume.) (I'm refering to tanks that are recently inspected & 
Eric> hydro'd with a new valve) 

He mentioned 3' high tanks, you even cited it.  Within this year, I
made a 99 year lease on tanks this size, here in San Diego and it cost
me around $250.  All I know is what I paid.  Maybe things are
different other places, however, you quote prices for 5' tanks, not 3'
tanks.  You may have not gotten as good a deal as I did, but I *ain't*
lying or crazy.  Being leased, the tanks I got will *always* be
hydro'ed and have good valves, at the expense of the company owning
them and leasing them to me.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan J Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 01:15:14 GMT

About 10 years ago I bought a "B" size acetylene and 40 cubic foot oxygen 
tanks ( they are about 3' high) for $175. When I need gas I turn my tanks 
in and they give me 2 different tanks. I never leave with the tanks I brought 
in but I also don't have to worry about hydro testing. It all works out
good for me since I don't use much gas.

Dan