Subject: Leather Belts

From: [email-masked] (Christopher MARSHALL)
Date: 15 MAY 94 06:11:42

Earlier I posted a question about glueing leather drive belts.  Thanks for
the help.  Anyway it took a bit to find a place that had the right stuff but
eventually I found a place in Concord, New Hampshire called Page Belting
which still makes leather belts and the glue.  They also now make nylon belts
which can substitute for the leather. 
  When I called they asked when I would be coming because they were moving
in about a week.  When I got there the building looked kind of interesting
and it had there name neatly lettered on a tower which is part of the building
so I had to ask how long had they been in that location.  The answer was 127
years!  I asked why they were moving and I was told the building had gotten
a too big for them.  (they didn't say their business had gotten smaller!)
The building is for sale if anyone is interested in an old brick mill building.
It is located just off of I-93 at the north end of Concord and is easily
visible from the freeway.
   There were some interesting things on the wall of their waiting room
including a patent dated 1866 which was issued to Mr. Page.  The patent 
covered a process for preparing leather for making drive belts.

Chris