Subject: Mandrel speed?

From: [email-masked] (Chris Scott)
Date: 16 Feb 94 20:33:55 GMT

I am making a poor-mans light duty metal lathe.  It will be used for
small brass, copper, and alluminum pieces.   I have a 1/3 hp motor
running about 3200 rpm.  My question is, since this will be fixed
speed, I need to decide how fast the mandrel should turn, when selecting
pulley sizes.

Any guidelines?
-- 
[email-masked] aka Chris Scott- C/E Public Radio- Western KY U
                      Telco: (502) 745-3834  Hm & Fax: (502) 781-1232
...just another insignificant VAX user.        \\\//
                                               (o o)
--------------------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo----------------------- 

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!inxs.concert.net!taco!gatech!destroyer!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!news.cic.net!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.intercon.com!udel!news.sprintlink.net!news.world.net!Steve.Hampson Wed Fe

b 23 21:26:04 EST 1994
Article: 3801 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!inxs.concert.net!taco!gatech!destroyer!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!news.cic.net!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.intercon.com!udel!news.sprintlink.net!news.world.net!Steve.Hampson
From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: relatively inexpensive TIG welder
Date: 16 Feb 1994 21:21:04 GMT
Organization: Blue Sky Research
Lines: 16
Sender: -Not-Authenticated-[3084]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>  
 <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: steve.bluesky.com
X-Posted-From: InterNews [email-masked].
Xdisclaimer: No attempt was made to authenticate the sender's name.

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Jonathan Henry) writes:

>   Does the Miller Econotig Constant Current AC/DC Arc
>  Welding Power Source Package use inverter technology?  Also what voltage
> does it run off of?

The Econotig is a 220 volt box that uses a transformer.  Powcon makes
an inverter TIG machine but I don't think it has a foot control.  They
also make a power source that does everything: MIG, TIG, stick and
plasma cutting but it is about $5k for the box without accessories.

Steve Hampson                                503 222 9571
Blue Sky Research                            800 622 8398
534 SW 3rd Avenue                       fax  503 222 1643
Portland, OR  97204

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 16 Feb 94 22:38:46 CST

Chris Scott ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am making a poor-mans light duty metal lathe.  It will be used for
: small brass, copper, and alluminum pieces.   I have a 1/3 hp motor
: running about 3200 rpm.  My question is, since this will be fixed
: speed, I need to decide how fast the mandrel should turn, when selecting
: pulley sizes.

Can't you find some step pulleys? That would give you some range.
Speedwise... geez, I'd take a swing(sic) at a range somewhere between...
oh, 250 to 1000 rpm, maybe, depending some on the sort of bearings you're
going to use in your headstock. You could run faster, I suppose; it will
also depend on the size of the items ("small" is one of those awfully
'relative' sort of terms)

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 10:42:03 +0000

> 'relative' sort of terms)

Personally I'd go for something a bit faster; The soft metals have
higher surface cutting speeds and you'll get a better finish. A top 
speed of 1800 or so would be fine for small brass work, e.g steam 
fittings.  Remember that you'll need the higher speeds for tailstock
drilling.

-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!