Subject: Re: Shortening a machined lever...Help!

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 12 Feb 94 09:05:21 CST

Iain Woolf ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am looking to shorten the gearstick (gear shift lever) on my car...
: ...options...
:      1) Cut an inch off the top of the thread, and have some local
:         machine shop carry the thread on down for a further inch

:      2) Cut an inch out of the middle of the rod and have someone weld
:         it back together for me. Clean up the weld.

Option 2 is way too much like hard work.

Try option 1, modified thus: Get the thread run further down the rod first,
then cut the end off after running an appropriate nut on to the thread past
the point at which you will cut it. Taking the nut off after you have cleaned
up the cut will ensure the end of the thread is 'open'.

If you can find out what the thread is it might be as cheap to pick up a die
and dieholder and do the threading yourself. After all, the thread is already
started and is probably straight...

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)