Subject: Re: Building an air compr

From: [email-masked] (Tom Biggs)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 94 13:21:00 -0640

>From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)

> [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
>>I have seen compressors made from Volkswagen engines.  Two cylinders
>>are still used to run the motor and two cylinders are used to pump air
>>by fitting an adapter in the spark plug holes.  Don't know any more
>>specifics than that.  If you really need more air, you could use all
>>four cylinders as pumpers and drive it with an electric motor.

>I've seen these little adaptors that you can screw into a spark
>plug hole of your engine to, say, inflate a tire in an emergency.
>What I always have wondered is, won't this pump extremely flamable
>gasses into your tire?  Likewise for the VW engine idea above, unless
>you divert the two intake runners.
>-Eric

I've got one of these and it has a little cylinder, with a little piston
inside that is powered by the pressure fluctuations coming from the
spark plug hole.  The little cylinder inhales air fresh from a hole in
the side.  Inefficient, but it does get the job done, no flammable
vapors in the tire.

On the old *air-cooled* VWs, each pair of cylinders is widely separated,
with a goofy intake manifold that looks like household plumbing.  The
hot two carb setup was easy to install - two downdraft carbs, one on
each head.  So it would be simple to put a carb on one side, and just an
air filter on the compressor side.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Tom Biggs  DoD #1146      [email-masked]
'77 KZ650  "Kawaski"
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the results of folly
 is to fill the world with fools"
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ A cult is a religion without political power.