Subject: How to hand forge

From: [email-masked] (Robert Wasiersky)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 05:39:32 GMT

I want to learn the in's and out's of forging. I know very little
	other than it seem's to make parts stronger by compressing grain
	boundries. 

	Any Ref's or wisdom would be be apreciated.

---

From: [email-masked] (Burl C. Tanner)
Date: 17 Mar 1994 01:24 CST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Robert Wasiersky) writes...
>	Any Ref's or wisdom would be be apreciated.

Everything I know about forging, by B. Tanner

pack a class full of undergrad's to go for a field trip to navasota 
forge co. in navasota texas on lovely july morning

(ed. note: july in texas means it will get hotter 'n hell)

get to navasota forge co. and have a pleasant introductory lecture in
the company's air conditioned conference room. then proceed into the 
plant.

start to notice how hot it is. notice ground moving under my feet.

(ed. note: central texas is NOT prone to earthquakes)

realize that the ground is being moved by a medium-large forge striking
the work piece. i notice that the noise is loud enough to drown out a 
747 at takeoff. i also notice that it is extraordinarily hot. ascertain 
that the heat source is the forge. 

admire how many btu's are being expended to keep up this heat

notice that all the workmen seem to be in fantastically good shape

notice how hot it is again

realize that the reason all the workmen are in such fantastically good 
shape is that any excess body tissue these fellows may have had in 
the past, has been toasted off their bodies. 

i cringe at the amount of heat being given off while my students are 
rapidly departing the immediate area of the forge

notice that all the workmen look and sound like they have about a 3rd 
grade education. wonder about any conection as i admire the heat being 
given off for a last time

return to the cool comfort of a 102 degree afternoon and tell myself that
"those years of education haven't hurt me none, i can read tha writing 
on the wall" (1). and in this case i did not like what i read.

there ends todays lesson on forging. any questions?

[email-masked]

(1) quote by paul simon, "kodachrome"

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher McDowell)
Date: 17 Mar 1994 14:10:56 GMT

Robert Wasiersky ([email-masked]) wrote:
: 	I want to learn the in's and out's of forging. I know very little
: 	other than it seem's to make parts stronger by compressing grain
: 	boundries.                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	^^^^^^^^^^ !?

	Ouch. Perhaps your first step should be to pick up a book on
metallurgy at your local library.

	Chris McDowell

	Not one to Flame violently, thank goodness.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: 21 Mar 94 13:50:10 GMT

>Everything I know about forging, by B. Tanner

[snip, snip]

>From your description, I suspect that what you saw was a Power-Hammer.  A
forge is either the fire where the iron is heated, or the building where
blacksmithing is done.

>given off for a last time

I bet the smiths had a few laughs about the wimps who couldn't take the
heat. 

>on the wall" (1). and in this case i did not like what i read.

You might have all the schooling in the world, but you still won't know as
much about the properties of iron as those smiths knew.

>there ends todays lesson on forging. any questions?

You should sign up for some lessons with Clifton Ralph (sp).  He might
even teach you some blacksmithing.  :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214

---

From: Kathreen Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 00:54:03 -0500

"Hear Hear".  My husband is a blacksmith,
a knifemaker by specialty, and we both found that prior posting to show a
little lack of knowledge.