Subject: ?glue for leather belts?

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Marshall)
Date: 9 May 1994 12:16:58 GMT

I need to reglue a leather belt on my lathe and have no idea what kind of
glue to use.  Suggestions?  The belt was cut on the bias so it is tapered and
overlaps.
---
Chris MARSHALL
Digital Equipment Corporation
(opinions are my own)

[email-masked] or [email-masked]
 603-884-1482

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cavasin)
Date: 9 May 1994 13:45:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Christopher Marshall) writes:
|> 
|>   I need to reglue a leather belt on my lathe and have no idea what kind of
|> glue to use.  Suggestions?  The belt was cut on the bias so it is tapered and
|> overlaps.
|> ---

Two options:

a) A very good hide glue - can be tricky to find good quality these days,
   and may not work well if not prepared properly (moisture content, temperature,
   etc.).  May not be practical for a 'one off' job like this.

b) Some form of Barge cement - this is a type of contact cement used by
   modern shoe makers for glueing soles on shoes.  Coat both surfaces, let
   dry, and hammer the two pieces together.  Check yellow pages for leather
   supply, shoemaker's supply, or ask your local cobbler (who may do it
   for a nominal fee).

Good luck,
Rick

---

From: 47.8.2.119 (Steve Lischynsky)
Date: 9 May 1994 15:50:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> glue to use.  Suggestions?  The belt was cut on the bias so it is tapered and
Southbend sells an entire kit for wedging and glueing belts.