Subject: Re: Styrofoam Fabrication

From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch)
Date: Thu, 05 May 94 20:22:13 PDT

[email-masked] writes:

> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Ron Gi
> > In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (David A
> > The hot wire is strung in a bow to provide tension, and heated by a current
> > from a 12V car battery. 
> 
> The material for the wire is not so important if you can control the voltage.
> Many folks use nichrome because it has a relatively high resistance per unit 
> length.  For wires several feet long I've had success using baling wire and a
> autotransformer, such as a Variac. The wire must be under tension to take
> up the slack from thermal expansion as the wire heats up.
>                                                               

I have made several HOT wire cutters using nichrome wire. I have used a 
battery charger and a variable reistor likr\e a variac to control the 
current. I used spring tension to take up the slack as the wire heats. 
What are you goint to fabricate?

-- 
[] SEANEWS [] Seattle Public Access Usenet News + Mail [] +1 206 614 0048 []
[email-masked]