Subject: Soldering steel

From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch)
Date: Wed, 04 May 94 20:47:06 PDT

I have been soldering various steel parts together using 50-50 solder and 
plain flux for years. For a quick prototype where I did have access to a 
welder and strength wasn't a factor, soldering a couple steel (low 
carbon) pieces has worked well. Recently, I bought the new lead free 
solder used for sweating pipt joints. It is called Oatey safety- flo 
solder. I needed to solder a galvanized steel nut to a bolt to make sure 
it didn't back out. First of all I was impressed with the way it flowed. 
The joint looked much better than a traditionallly soldered joint and 
then i tried to twist the nut to unscrew it. The bolt sheared before 
without the bond breaking. If you need a quick brazed joint but don't 
want to buy ax expensive otrch or welder give this new solder a try! Good 
luck.

-- 
[] SEANEWS [] Seattle Public Access Usenet News + Mail [] +1 206 614 0048 []
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (herschel.h.mayo)
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 13:30:28 GMT

> solder. I needed to solder a galvanized steel nut to a bolt to make sure 
I have a tiny problem and need a suggestion.  I'm overhauling an old
transmission, and have a cast iron, or steel retaining ring that is 
broken in two pieces. It is abou 3mm thick, and machined smooth on both
sides. I thought about welding it, but it is too thin. Can I solder it
together? there is not a lot of stress on it, but I still want a good 
strong bond. What kind of solder would be the best and strongest?

                                             Larry Mayo

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 21:01:38 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "herschel.h.mayo" writes:
> sides.

Find a competent tig welder, and get them to do it (BTDT). You should be able
to get it back into shape with an angle grinder/oilstone.

Brazing it would work, but you'll need to bevel the edges off first and build
up a strong fillet. Machining back into shape afterwards wouldn't be a
problem for a hand file. The soft spots of brazing spelter left in the
surface afterwards could be a problem if it's a bearing surface.

If possible, I'd turn up a new one and case harden it.

--
Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]

            Remember ! 23rd May 1994 is SPAM Jake day