Subject: How to rust steel

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williams)
Date: 12 Feb 94 17:53:00 GMT

-> I have problem where I want to rust some steel very quickly. I have
-> tried water, sticking the object in dirt, etc. with some success, but

 Try tomato juice.  That's how I learned 440 stainless steel isn't
completely stainless.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Halliday)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 23:05:00 GMT

P>From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
 >Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
 >Subject: Re: How to rust steel
 >Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 09:16:18 +0000
 >Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
 >Organization: Cripps Computing Centre, The University of Nottingham

P>Send it over here.  My workshop is uniformly  brown this time of year.

P>On a related note, can anyone explain why cast iron that is unrusted has
 >a good degree of rust tolerance, but if it does go rusty at any point,
 >no amount of cleaning and oiling will ever keep it clean again?  For

Wondering if you might be downwind of some industrial place that
processes acids.  There is a plating place near a friends warehouse and
even though they are completely up to snuff EPA Regs-wise, the metal in
my friends place rusts very quickly...

 * QMPro 1.51 * ERROR # 76 - Check nut on keyboard