Subject: Is $600 a good price for a 6" Atlas lathe?

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 94 22:13:27 GMT

A fellow has an 6" Atlas lathe for $600.  The only
accessories is a 3 jaw chuck.  It is in pretty good
shape.  Is this about the going rate?

---

From: [email-masked] (W. Michael Hill)
Date: 28 Feb 94 22:43:19 GMT

>shape.  Is this about the going rate?

This is not a bad price as long as the lathe is in very good condition.
Also there should be a fair amount of tooling with it, i.e. cutters.

I paid $1350.00 for a 11" Southbend, with quick change gears and a host
of tooling. It was in excellent condition as well. The used market for
lathes is quite plentifull, i found, with a wide range of prices and
quality. Make a trial cut on a 6" long piece of stock and then measure
the diameter at either end. If they are not the same, the lathe is not
cutting true.  

		Look around and consider offering less if
		there is no tooling besides the 3 jaw chuck.

					Mike Hill