Subject: Re: How to rust steel

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 94 20:35:51 GMT

[email-masked] (Doug Blain) writes:
>   I have problem where I want to rust some steel very quickly. I have
>tried water, sticking the object in dirt, etc. with some success, but I
>was wondering if there was a faster way? I am looking to get a solid
>uniformly dark rust (not a red rust). The object cannot be heated
>excessively. Any suggestions?

I'd try putting it in a big trashbag, and fill the bag with pure
oxygen for a bottle.  Store the system in a warm place.  Maybe 
refresh the O2 once in a while.

-Eric

-- 
Did you know that the Clinton health plan will make it illegal for YOU 
to pay a doctor for care that YOU feel you should receive?
In other words, under certain circumstances, the government can force you 
to die, even if you want to pay for treatment out of your own pocket.

---

From: [email-masked] (Vnet tinker and virtual handyman.)
Date: 16 Feb 1994 07:56:51 -0500

Try a gun shop. Get a "browning" kit.  This finish is used for black 
powder reproductions.  Blueing is a modern finish, not authentic.

[email-masked]