Subject: Wax for casting

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: 23 Feb 94 13:12:22 GMT

The local Jr college is having a class on Low Tech Bronze casting
technics.  I thought I would sign up.  But I will have to supply my own
wax sculpture to be cast.  What kind of wax is used, and where can I get it?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 23 Feb 94 20:19:30 GMT

> wax sculpture to be cast.  What kind of wax is used, and where can I get it?

NOT candle, floor, or Bees- wax.  Check out your local craft and hobby stores,
as well as lapidary / "rock shop" dealers.

Better, contact the instructor, and ASK for a list.  Also ask if they can
handle "alternative" sculptures...I have seen people take the (styrene)
plastic war-game figures, assemble them and super-detail them using styrene,
and then use the result as a "wax" model from which a mold and subsequent
bronze/pewter/silver figure was cast.

JK