Subject: Melting graphite?

From: [email-masked] (Paul Krush)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 00:20:47 GMT

Ok hot curiousitys!
when one uses coke to heat metal in a graphite crucible why does't the
graphite burn? They are both made of carbon(coke-graphite) right?

--
Hi world!     (804)-622-8422  MR2  with 9 months to go
when you target for the sky if you don't make it you will fall short of the  
                   !!   >>>>stars<<<<!!

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!pirates!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!emory!swrinde!cs.utexas.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.intercon.com!panix!zip.eecs.umich.edu!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!nntp.cs.ubc.ca!cyber2.cyberstore.ca!nwnexus!seanews!dmauch Fri Ap

r 15 10:27:37 EDT 1994
Article: 4488 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!pirates!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!emory!swrinde!cs.utexas.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!news.intercon.com!panix!zip.eecs.umich.edu!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!nntp.cs.ubc.ca!cyber2.cyberstore.ca!nwnexus!seanews!dmauch
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: CIMPLE CNC
From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 09:12:29 PDT
Organization: SEANEWS - Seattle Public Access News + Mail
Lines: 55

 For the past year I have been working on various Computer Numerical 
Control machines. Today, I have two circuit board drill machines that 
cost me under $300 each to build and I have a 1/2 HP converted bench 
drill press that is CNC controlled. The lastest machine is a Enco 
horizontzl/vertical bandsaw that I paid $174 new and added my CNC 
controller to automate it. I have just run some tests on it over the 
weekend and am very pleased with it's performance. It uses a 40 oz in 
stepper motor to raise and lower the Saw arm via a leadscrew. The vice 
opens an closes using another 40 oz in stepper motor with a 4 to 1 timing 
belt pully arrangement. The thrust collards were replaced with needle 
thrust bearings. The stock is feed into a pinch roller mechanism with a 
capstan to pull the stock into the cutting position. Here is what it 
does.
 The Shareware program reads a data file. The saw arm is raised to clear 
the stock. The vice opens all the way untill it hits a home micro switch. 
The stock is feed in until a mechanism is tripped by the end of the 
stock. The vice then closes. The solid state relay turns the motor on. 
The saw is feed at the user defined feed rate thru the material. At the 
point designated by the user, the saw motor is shut off. The saw arm 
raises. The vice opens slightly and the stock is moved into the next 
position. I have set it up so that I can cut a series of pieces the same 
lenght or to what ever I want. For instance I may want to cut some 2 1/2 
inch aluminum tee bar to 4 inches and some to 5 iinches. I just set the 
data file  to the quantity and lengths and hit the enter command after 
the stock is loaded. The machine takes over from there and cuts as many 
pieces to the lenghts ordered while I do something else.
 I will demonstrate this machine at the next Seatlle Robotic Society 
meeting on 16 April. What is amaing is that the whole thing cost me under 
$400 to put it together. I have developed my own 3 axis motion controller 
that uses shareware software and provides for three stepper motors to 
1.25 amps per phase with two phase on. Optional solid state relays may be 
added to control a motor. There are provisions for three (XYZ) home 
switches and 6 out of range microswitches. I have some kits that include 
the controller board and all the electronics for $85. Stepper motors are 
$20 each. Later on in june a booster module should be available to jack 
the current up to 5 amperes per phase!
 All of my CNC stuff is simple to use . No G code or programming to 
learn. No Basic or C++. It uses off the shelf Cad CAM shareware with the 
exception of some proprietary software that I have developed for printed 
circuit boards. It takes a standard Excellon file and converts it to the 
format required by the shareware program and Optimizes the drill travel 
for more efficient operation of the homemade drillers. Later this month I 
intend to finish a machine that will mesure wire and cut it to lengths 
specified by the user. It will sure beat cutting a thousand pieces of 
wire 1 foot long by hand. This machine ought to cost me under $200 to 
build. I see them for $900.
 My goal has been to drive the price of CNC down to make it affordable 
for the home shop while making it simple to use Thus I have coined the 
term CCNC (Cimple Computer Numerical Control).
        Since I am new to this forum are there many other folks 
interested in CCNC?

-- 
[] SEANEWS [] Seattle Public Access Usenet News + Mail [] +1 206 614 0048 []
[email-masked]