Subject: Re: pulsating AC to heat elements?

From: [email-masked] (Marcel Lemay)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 17:53:48 GMT

>>What do you use the linotype for?
 
Hot stamping, with metallic foils. 
 
They have becomed obsolete as far as commercial
printing goes, however, in hot stamping, hot metal
is still necessary, unless you use etched photoengraved
plates, which are much more expensive.
 
Most hot metal casting machines still used today
are Ludlows, which are less complicated since the
matrix setting is done by hand. They are also much
slower.
 
I am also experimenting with photopolymer and
vulcanized silicone plates.
 
Marcel
-- 
##=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=##
#  Lemay Manufacturing                      Fax (819) 986-1544  #
#                   [email-masked]                   #
##=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=##

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 20:58:57 -0500

A friend gave me a Research Inc. temp and power controller (2 units) a
while ago, circa 1970, and the power controller works that way -- it
times to pass more of the sine wave as the oven requires more power. I
assume this is what you are talking about, as it is a timed circuit. It
is really heavy duty industrial stuff -- 240v @ 25A max (6000W). In the
'theory' section of the manual (it even came with a manual!) it describes
pretty carefully how the load sees what is functionally smooth power.
 
Tomorrow I'm going to a gov't auction and looking to buy a REAL heat
treatment furnace -- 240v @ 60A (lotsa watts!), speci'd for 2700F (1500C).
Oh boy! It uses a 'reactive' power controller, not timed, but I think
it's all burned up. I plan to fit the Research Inc stuff to it which should
get me up to 1300C (what it's spec'd for) -- more than enough. In the last
couple of months I've looked at quite a bit of documentation on heat and
power control (I was thinking about making a muffle furnace before this
boomer dropped in my lap) -- I dont' think you need to worry at all about
a power controller that works by timing the AC sine wave. (and speaking
of wives, mine thinks I'm crazy, but at least this hobby keeps me off
the streets and out of the bowling alleys.) Another friend says that the
power timer might do interesting things to the RF, but who watches TV?
 
Charlie