Subject: ANODIZING

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 12:05:24 GMT

HI,

SMALL SHOP ANODIZING IS NOT DIFFICULT. A PLASTIC TANK (BUCKET), LEAD 
CATHODE, SULFURIC ACID AND A POWER SUPPLY (BATTERY CHARGER) ARE THE BASICS 
FOR ANODIZING SMALL PARTS. OPTIONS INCLUDE DYE AND SEALING SOLUTION.

THE COST CAN REALLY BE QUITE LOW IF ONLY SMALL ITEMS ARE PROCESSED. ACID 
CAN COME FROM THE AUTO SUPPLY STORE, SEALING CAN BE DONE IN HOT WATER. THE 
LARGER THE PART THE LARGER THE POWER SUPPLY THAT IS REQUIRED. SOMETHING IN 
THE 12-20VDC 10A RANGE IS USABLE FOR AMALL ITEMS. DYE CAN COST FROM $10 TO 
$50 PER POUND. IT CAN LAST FOR YEARS IN THE SMALL SHOP. 

A VERY GOOD ARTICLE IS "ANODIZING IN THE AMATEUR WORKSHOP" BY DAVID W. 
HEMBLING, VE7DKR. IT APPEARED IN THE JANUARY 1979 ISSUE OF "HAM RADIO". 
I AM NOT SURE HOW HARD THAT ONE WILL BE TO FIND

SANDOZ CHEMICALS CORP IS ONE OF THE MAJOR SUPPLIERS OF DYE FOR ALUMINUM 
AND HAS SUGGESTED PROCEDURE AND TIMES FOR ANODIZING. THEIR PHONE IS 
(704) 372-0210
4000 MONROE ROAD
CHARLOTTE, NC 28205

Ron

Ron Thompson                      |     Internet:  [email-masked]
Psychology Dept.                  |     Voice:     904-644-5563
Florida State University          |     FAX:       904-644-7739
Tallahassee,  FL 32306-1051