Subject: Rockwell milling machine - should I buy it?

From: [email-masked] (Alden Hackmann)
Date: 24 Mar 1994 19:04:15 GMT

I have the opportunity to buy a Rockwell 16-100 vertical milling machine, 
but I can't go see it before I decide, as it's too far away.  

Can anyone tell me in general about the quality of this machine?  

I've used an old Atlas-Clausing mill of about the same size.  Can you 
compare the two for me?

Can you suggest questions I might ask of the seller?   

Thanks for your help - I don't know how I would have survived my entry 
into the world of metalworking without my net.colleagues!

Alden Hackmann

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Stryker)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 18:01:52

>>into the world of metalworking without my net.colleagues!
**************
There was one at a New England used machinery dealer without accessories 
for $1700...up for sale for only a couple of weeks...then sold.  They
are about the same quality as a real Bridgeport, but a bit lighter duty,
so are ok for home and prototype use.  (I'm a little sorry I didn't buy
it....Oh well, next time)   The *actual* condition is its life history,
so do some test cuts first, but you should expect some wear, anyway.
Yeah, I appreciate the net input on these issues also...learning by osmosis
as well as trial and error in my own shop.
Cheers
Jay