Subject: Portable forges

From: [email-masked] (LAHUIS, JEFFREY)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 15:14:28 GMT

Frist, is there such a thing?  I seem to remember our farrier had one that he 
used to hot shoe our stud,  but I think that he said he made it himself.
I would like to get started into blacksmithing and hence need a forge (among 
other things).  How would I go about buying/constructing one?
If this is in a FAQ, would someone be kind enough to e-mail it to me as  I 
have extreme difficulty ftp'ing from this site.

Thanks
Jeff LaHuis

---

From: [email-masked] (James W. Swonger)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 19:28:06 GMT

>other things).  How would I go about buying/constructing one?

 I have one. It's a cast iron (I presume; a lot of work to beat 1/2" steel
into that shape) pot with a center hole; a small cast iron centrigugal
blower feeds the air from below. The impeller is driven by a leather belt
from a geared-up crank handle mounted to the side. It looks to be
manufactured, not handmade. It stands up high on four spindly little legs.
"Farrier's forge", my boss said when he gave it to me.

 I expect you could take the advice on how to make a small fire pot out
of brake drums or wheels plus clay, add either a foot bellows or a 
crank driven blower, and make a nice little package that came in under
50 pounds.
-- 
##########################################################################
#Irresponsible rantings of the author alone. Any resemblance to persons  #
#living or dead then yer bummin. May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may inten-#
#sify this effect. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Billy!#

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!xanth.cs.odu.edu!news.larc.nasa.gov!lerc.nasa.gov!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!news.umbc.edu!eff!news.kei.com!yeshua.marcam.com!zip.eecs.umich.edu!destroyer!new

s1.oakland.edu!rcsuna.gmr.com!rcsuna.gmr.com!vbreault Sun Feb 13 14:12:19 EST 1994
Article: 3731 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!xanth.cs.odu.edu!news.larc.nasa.gov!lerc.nasa.gov!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!news.umbc.edu!eff!news.kei.com!yeshua.marcam.com!zip.eecs.umich.edu!destroyer!ne

ws1.oakland.edu!rcsuna.gmr.com!rcsuna.gmr.com!vbreault
From: [email-masked] (Val Breault)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.antique,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: How do I restore rusted steel wheels?
Followup-To: rec.autos.antique,rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: 11 Feb 94 16:57:37
Organization: GM NAO R&D Center
Lines: 16
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
	<[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: rinhp750.gmr.com
In-reply-to: [email-masked]'s message of Wed, 9 Feb 1994 15:47:34 GMT
Xref: bigblue.oit.unc.edu rec.autos.antique:4678 rec.crafts.metalworking:3731

I once had a problem with some wheels that were so badly rusted in the 
bead area that the tires would go flat in two days.  I tried several 
"sealers" to no avail.  I had good success though by simply painting
the wheels.  That's right.  Just painting them.  Of course I cleaned
up the area, primed it and painted it with several coats of a general
purpose enamel.  I let the paint dry thoroughly between coats and sanded
the area a little before mounting the tires.  That solution worked for
me for a couple years until I got rid of the car.  If that didn't work
I was going to buy tubes or replace the styleized wheels with generic
wheels and wheel covers.

--
Val Breault - N8OEF - [email-masked]   \      /|
Instrumentation dept  GM NAO R&D Center   \    / |
My opinions are not necessarily those of   \  /__|
GMR nor of the General Motors Corporation   \/   |___

---

From: [email-masked] (David Berner)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 19:32:18 GMT

well, i've seen some pretty interesting looking portable forges
at craft fairs.  i don't know details, but they were gas forges, 
basically a drum of some type of heat resistant bricks, with 
jets for the gas inside, and a tank of propane? i dunno, some type
of gas the whole setup looked small enough to fit in the trunk of a 
car.  

-dave

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!corpgate!news.utdallas.edu!convex!cs.utexas.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!jussieu.fr!univ-lyon1.fr!ghost.dsi.unimi.it!batcomputer!news.graphics.cornell.edu!newsstand.cit.cornell.edu!NewsWatcher!user Sun Fe

b 13 14:12:26 EST 1994
Article: 3741 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!corpgate!news.utdallas.edu!convex!cs.utexas.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!jussieu.fr!univ-lyon1.fr!ghost.dsi.unimi.it!batcomputer!news.graphics.cornell.edu!newsstand.cit.cornell.edu!NewsWatcher!user
From: [email-masked] (Blake Werner)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Thermal coficient/ design
Followup-To: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 17:07:53 -0500
Organization: pharmacology@cornell
Lines: 13
Sender: [email-masked] (Verified)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 128.253.111.24

I just got in a talk with my daughter (7yrs.) and thought I'd share this
with you.
When designing a whatever, be it a componet or object, any time two or more
materials are next to each other 2 major properties must be considered. One
is the similarity of their thermal coficients. If they are too different
there is going to be a failure. The other is the plastic or "givability" 
or the objects. These properties relate to each other somewhat and there
are other considerations. We were trying to work all that out. From my end
she was not digging it. Then she put it in her context. Neighbors got to
get along! Right, If the lifestlyes of the materials are not too very
different the might get along longer. Out if the mouths of babes. thank you
amy!
watch yer burrs_ Blake

---

From: [email-masked] (David White)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 1994 07:44:19 GMT

>crank driven blower, and make a nice little package that came in under

	Centuar Forge is a mail order company that sells a full line
of equipment.  I don't have the address on me but will post it if 
someone does not beat me to it.  

-David
company that sells a full line of forging equipment.>--

---

From: [email-masked] (John Kopf, X6305)
Date: 28 Feb 94 18:24:11 GMT

> >"Farrier's forge", my boss said when he gave it to me.

Another common small forge *name* is "rivit forge";  these were common back
when civil engineering consisted of structures (bridges, buildings) that were
assembled on site by riviting (now days they use bolts/welding).

JK