Subject: Another Craftsman lathe question

From: [email-masked] (Vincent Iorio)
Date: 11 Mar 1994 14:30:10 -0500

I have the 12" x 36" Craftman lathe.  The best thing about it was the
price.  I have a quick change gear box.  The gear box is VERY noisey
when the shaft speed is higher then 700 rpm.  My question - Is there
a limit to the speed that the quick change gear box can handle?

Also, there are two settings for the "A" selection on the chart on the
gear box, how do I engage the lower thread range?

		     If any one has the answers to me questions,  THANK
								   YOU

							  Vince

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Golber)
Date: 11 Mar 1994 23:50:33 GMT

>		     If any one has the answers to me questions,  THANK

Gee whiz.  Mine doesn't get VERY noisy until 1500 RPM.  At 2000 RPM
I wear ear protectors.

To get the lowest feed and thread range, open the door at the 
left end of the lathe and loosen one of the knobs/levers there.
This lets a certain part of the gear train move down so that 
a certain gear can slide over to another place which is the lowest feed.

Dave Golber