Subject: Re: BRAZING CARBIDE TIPS

From: [email-masked] (Bob Powell)
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 17:13:04 GMT

One of the router how-to books has a section in general chastising even 
some professionally made carbide-tip router / shaper bits.  Says that
some Taiwan etc. carbide tips are not brazed carefully enough and may 
separate -- it takes real industrial skill to make a good weld, nevermind 
the balance problem.

Also note that you're not supposed to use even a commercial bit much
over 1" at 28,000 RPM.  That's what variable speed is for, a 3" raised
panel bit for example should run at about 1/3 that?

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Mon, 09 May 1994 14:21:14 +0000

I'm a bit pissed (USA meaning) because I've just missed most of my own
thread!

I lost my connection for about 2 weeks, and so, sincere apologies to 
anyone who said anything interesting, or hoped for a reply.  In fact I've
made a couple of cutters (carefully!) and they seem to work fine.
They were drawn out at x10 to get all the angles and clearances right, then
the bits were put in with Easyflo paste; I had milled out specially 
shaped slots for the bits to fit in.

The larger of the two bits is 1 1/2" across, so I think it will run OK at
28000.  I've often wondered how far this speed drops on load (i.e. on
"gentle" load, not forcing it.

-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!