Subject: Nickel Plating

From: [email-masked] (Robert Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 06:23:35 GMT

I have an old watchmaker's lathe that was originally nickel plated.
This is wearing through in spots, and I would like to have it
replated.

I was told that this is possible to do on one's own,
using "electrolys" nickel solution,
heated on a stove.

If this is practical, where do you get plating solutions
like this, and how expensive is it?
How do you block off the areas not to be plated?
It was suggested using rubber stoppers with vents
on the bore, but there are also some flat surfaces.

Are there any good books?

Any tips?

 - Thanks - Robert Mitchell

-- 
UUCP:  [email-masked]
DDD:   408-746-8491  Fax: 408-725-8638
USPS:  Amdahl Corp.  M/S 205,  1250 E. Arques Av,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086

---

From: [email-masked] (Clive Washington)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 10:35:51 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> on the bore, but there are also some flat surfaces.

In the UK there are kits available to do this.  There was a 
report on one (the Tec-Nic, I think) in a recent Model Engineer.
I haven't tried them, though.

If we can get it in the UK, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 
available in the US.  If you can't find one, mail me and I'll
dig out the UK supplier address.

You could block off holes with stoppers, as you suggest, but
modelling clay would also work. It comes in more sizes, too!
For flat surfaces, use a resist such as paint, rubber solution,
or even felt tip pen.  I expect it won't plate unless its
scrupulously clean, so it should be easy to mask.
-- 
!!!According to my contract, this place owns my opinions!!!