Subject: Soldering Copper/Copper...

From: [email-masked] (Emmanuel.Gustin)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 15:12:10 GMT

I've been asked by someone to ask on this: How do you solder copper coolant
ducts? Please do not ask me for clarification; I know nothing about the
subject, and I am unaware of the correct English expressions... 

The questions are these:

Is the addition of 35% silver solder correct for a copper/copper joint? What
is it for copper/brass and copper/steel? Is 2% phosporus solder good for a
copper/copper joint? 

What are the working pressures for oxygen and acethylene to use? What kind
of flame is needed: neutral or "carburating"? (Whatever that means.)

Is it allowed to dilute borax liquifyer with distilled water?   

I would appreciate an e-mail answer, because I do not normally read this
group. 

Emmanuel Gustin 					    Lucus a non lucendo
Physics Department, University of Antwerp, Belgium		  Quintillianus
[email-masked]		       /---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------/	       FROM StdTexts IMPORT Disclaimer;

---

From: [email-masked] (Ulf Jonsson)
Date: 30 Mar 1994 02:04:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> subject, and I am unaware of the correct English expressions... 

Go to a local refrigeration contractor company or to a pipefitters supply
company. Those groups use a nice solder based on copper and posphor with
different amount of silver depending on how "cappilay" you want it. The bad
thing is that the joints lock dark and ugly. Silver solder looks nicer but
then you have tha hassle with poisonous flux and the higher cost. If you
visit a pipe fitter or a refrigeration technichian and bring a bag of coffe
bread he will show you how to use them and maybe give you a rod or two :-)

Good Luck,

Ulf