Subject: Bridgeport ?'s

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 94 00:51:18 GMT

I'm hoping to buy a mill, and I'd like to get a Bridgeport.  Any info
you can provide would be appriciated.  EMAIL please-  my news feed
deletes messages on this newsgroup rather quickly.

Does anybody know when Bridgeport went out of business?

Who makes replacement parts? 

Did they make many single phase units?

Can they be retro'd to single phase?

Any information on the different models one might find in the used mkt?

Any other brands out there that are comparable (new and used)?

What are the tradeoffs to getting a Bridgeport vs. another brand?

What's a good source for getting a used Bridgeport? (auction?) 

Many thanks for any information for someone in the market!

-Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: 20 FEB 94 20:24:47

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello) writes...
>I'm hoping to buy a mill, and I'd like to get a Bridgeport. 
> 

They didn't -  they are still making milling machines, and even CNC versions. I
saw their booth at last years EASTEC show.

>Who makes replacement parts? 

Bridgeport, of course!

>Did they make many single phase units?

I think they did offer single phase, but you dont see them often.

>Can they be retro'd to single phase?

Not eaisly- the motors are custom made to fit into the head. I considered
changing the motor on mine, but decided it would be harder than making
a three phase convertor. My three phase convertor cost a total of $20 to make,
and has never given me a hint of trouble.

>The usual benefit of buying a brand name product, resale value, etc. Also
real bridgeports are good quality machines- some of the Far East clones are not.

>What's a good source for getting a used Bridgeport? (auction?) 
I have had some luck at auctions, but its real tricky. Sometimes things go
cheap, sometines a bid battle gets started and Ive seenpeople hang in and pay
more than a new price.

I see lots of Bridgeports around used tool stores- most in price range of $2000
to $3000

>Many thanks for any information for someone in the market!

Ron Ginger.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Feb 94 08:28:42 -0800

> Does anybody know when Bridgeport went out of business?

Bridgeport is still in business, they are now employee owned.
> Who makes replacement parts? 

All parts are available for BP'S either from BP or Quality Tools, I will
try to find the address for Quality and post it.
> Did they make many single phase units?

You can use a phase converter to run 3 phase motors on single phase power
these are available from almost all tool suppliers.
> Can they be retro'd to single phase?

No need to do this see above. With a phase convertor you will get a small
horsepower loss, that is usually not a problem.
> Any information on the different models one might find in the used mkt?

The most common models are the J head 8 speed manual speed change,
and the 2J with variable speed head. Table size 9x42 or 9x48.
> Any other brands out there that are comparable (new and used)?

You will find copies of BP mills of varying quality from awful to good.
The more expensive copies still don't hold up like the real thing.
Some older excellent American made mills ocassionally show up on the 
market such as Cincinnati Toolmaster, Index, XLO, Tree. Some of these
can be had for real bargain prices.
> What's a good source for getting a used Bridgeport? (auction?) 

Auction's or the San Jose Mercury News classified Machinery section.
> Many thanks for any information for someone in the market!
Hope this will be of some help Eric.

                                       Regards
                                       Michael>