Subject: Re: Recommendation: MIG or Oxy-Accetalene ?

From: [email-masked] (Michael J. Edelman)
Date: 8 Mar 1994 21:08:25 GMT

In article [email-masked],  [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello) writes:
...
  The acetyline bottle "dissolves" the
>acetyline (I don't really understand this, but the welding shop that
>fills 'em must know what they're doing  :^)
 
The acetylyene bottle is full of acetone, in which the acetylene is dissolved.
There's also a matrix (used to be asbestos- do they still use that?) that 
prevents the acentone from sloshing around...whcih could cause the acetylene
to suddenly become undissolved...which could be a problem ;-)

--mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 19:38:53 GMT

[email-masked] (Soren LaForce) writes:
> [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello) writes...

>>To What pressure are these guys filled?  I doubt they're the 3000PSI
>>bottles.....  Because I can't imagine these low prices you and the 
>>other guy quoted.  (also, my acetyline bottles are rated by "number"
>>not "letters".)
>
>No one attemps to fill an acetelene bottle to 3000psi more than once.

oops,  I meant the oxy bottle!  The acetyline bottle "dissolves" the
acetyline (I don't really understand this, but the welding shop that
fills 'em must know what they're doing  :^)

-Eric

-- 
Al Gore: "President Clinton is running this country in a way that it 
          hasn't been run in a long time."
Me:      "Yeah, since Nixon." 
                Whitewater can be dangerous. Ask Vince Foster.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl F. Ijames)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 06:56:10 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Scott
Cannoy) wrote:

> We stopped using asbestos about 12-15yrs ago, now the cylinder mfgs 
> use a very porous cement like filler (actual contents patented secret,
> for now :)  ). 
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The thing about patents is that you can't have both of these
simultaneously.  Either you patent something, which tells everyone how to
make it but prevents them from doing so without negotiating a license from
you, or you keep it a trade secret and hope no one else independently
duplicates your material.  (Sometimes at 2:00 AM you just have to harvest a
nit or two :-)).

Carl Ijames     [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Cannoy)
Date: 9 Mar 1994 04:17:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

Boy, is disposal of the old cylinders tough because of the asbestos!!

Scott Cannoy
Industrial Welding Supply Inc
Corvallis, Oregon

-- 
Scott Cannoy               // 
Albany, Oregon            //
[email-masked]    //

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Forbes)
Date: 9 Mar 1994 16:13:54 GMT

Just to throw in my $.03....I bought my tanks in California about 1987 for
about $250. Later I moved home to Oregon, and Industrial Welding Supply
didn't give me any grief at all when I came in for a refill/swap. They
just took my old tanks and gave me new ones.

BTW, Scott, the MIG you sold me works great! It's a Lincoln SP-100, and I've
been having a great time with it. A truly fine piece of equipment.

Mark G. Forbes
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Cannoy)
Date: 10 Mar 1994 03:55:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>> use a very porous cement like filler (actual contents patented secret,

OK, lets call it a trade secret...or it mean I'm at home and I can't
remember what those papers at work said the material was. :)
-- 
Scott Cannoy               //    Also to be found at:
Albany, Oregon            //  Industrial Welding Supply Inc.
[email-masked]    //       Corvallis, Oregon

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Cannoy)
Date: 10 Mar 1994 04:01:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>been having a great time with it. A truly fine piece of equipment.

HEY, no advertising on the net!! :) (but thanks anyway)

Yea, I like the SP-100 because when I sell one, I don't
have worry that it's going to break down. That little
sucker is bullet proof.

happy welding