Subject: Recommendation: MIG or Oxy-Accetalene ?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Palmer)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 14:37:46 GMT

I have the need for the occasional weld or braze around the house.  Typically
its very light weight stuff that needs to be done.  I checked the FAQ, which
goes into MIG welding in detail, but does not say which is best between
MIG & Oxy-Accetalene for light use.

My main concern with MIG is the face mask seems so dark that I can't see
the work, until the arc starts, and even them visibility is limited.  With
the Oxy-Accetalene, the mask in lighter and I see more.

Oxy-Accetalene however, seems more expensive.  How much do the 3' high tanks
cost?

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 24 Feb 94 08:56:49 MST

>From what I've heard, MIG is definitely the way to go for
small home-shop type work.  The local community college is
planning on teaching a short course "Introduction to MIG
Welding" in April, and I plan to attend.  (Note this is in
Cheyenne Wyoming).

As for the goggles/mask, you do have a point.  One way around
this is to brightly light the work, say with a small halogen
lamp, so you can see it before striking an arc.  Another
solution is to buy the auto-darkening hoods, which use an LCD
screen and light sensor; they darken the instant you strike
an arc.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 20:09:47 GMT

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Palmer <[email-masked]> writes:

Mike> I have the need for the occasional weld or braze around the
Mike> house.  Typically its very light weight stuff that needs to be
Mike> done.  I checked the FAQ, which goes into MIG welding in detail,
Mike> but does not say which is best between MIG & Oxy-Accetalene for
Mike> light use.

Mike> My main concern with MIG is the face mask seems so dark that I
Mike> can't see the work, until the arc starts, and even them
Mike> visibility is limited.  With the Oxy-Accetalene, the mask in
Mike> lighter and I see more.

Don't base your judgement on the glass darkness.  With MIG, the
electrode is electrically inert until you pull the trigger.  The steps
are like this.  1) Place electrode *exactly* where you want it.  2) Nod
your head to bring down facemask.  2) Pull trigger to begin welding,
at which point, you will be able to see everything quite nicely due to
the brilliance of the arc.  If you are still having trouble seeing, do
two things, 1) get a lighter shade glass (don't go below 9) and 2) get
a 300 watt halogen flood light and shine it on your work.

Mike> Oxy-Accetalene however, seems more expensive.  How much do the
Mike> 3' high tanks cost?

This size of tanks will cost you about $250 and a regulator, torch,
welding and cutting tips, and hoses will cost about another $200 or
more.  A good MIG complete (100V Hobart Handler) will run about $700
or more (that is if you go with the inert gas shielding, not just flux
cored wire).

Here are some things to consider in your purchase.  You cannot cut
with a MIG.  There are no steel welding operations for ranges up to
3/8" which cannot be done by both.  It is much harder to weld thin
stock with gas than with MIG.  You cannot weld Stainless Steel with
gas. You can't heat things for bending with a MIG.  To my head, all
things add up equal, so I bought both.  Now I have no "you can't do
that" areas.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Forbes)
Date: 4 Mar 1994 15:22:57 GMT

I found that my #10 shade was too dark...couldn't see a thing. I went down
to the welding supply store and got a gold-flashed shade that blocks the
UV and IR, but lets through a *lot* more visible light. I can actually
see what I'm doing now! It's the equivalent of a #9, but lets more visible
in to make seeing easier. They recommended against it if I was going to 
stick-weld, but it's fine for MIG. Just be very careful not to scratch 
the surface when installing it in the mask. I bought the large-size mask,
since I like having the extra field of view.

Yes, I too broke down and bought one of each. Typically I have both fired
up at the same time for a given project.

[email-masked]
Mark G. Forbes