Subject: Bronze questions

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Mentzer)
Date: 7 Mar 1994 13:36:27 GMT

Could someone answer a few questions for me?

I am an artist, but have never worked with Metals.
Currently I have a piece of work that I would like
to redo in Bronze.  It consists of approx. 1000 
pieces ranging from centemeters to feet.  I would
need approx. 100 sq. feet of 1/8inch bronze.

1st question - am I going to have to take out a 
second mortgage to do this?  Anyone have any ideas
on the cost?

2nd question - would I be able to find someone who
would cut these pieces for me (I, of course, would 
supply a pattern).

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I figured I would ask those who knew before I got myself
in too deep.

Thanks in advance,  Kevin

---

From: [email-masked] (21012d)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 04:44:58 GMT

Artist asking about "100 sqare ft 1/8" assemblage they wish to 
make.
      Well the first "napkin" calculation of amount of material
say's you are looking at about 2 cubic feet of metal or (using the
slightly high density of 9) 1080 lbs...My local scrap dealer
(who sells high if he can) sells small amounts of copper/brass/bronze
for around 3.xx$ a lb....so it could be some bucks esp if you
get new materials.  
   As for cutting out...it is painful but feasible to cut 1/8...
even a little thicker with jig saws....very reasonable to do 
so with a band saw, you can probably do ok with a fine blade
designed for wood, better would be a fine toothed metal blade.
   One issue, suggestion to consider, if your design is mastered
in wood, foam core or particle board you may need to redesign for
metal....you might get away with thinner material for the smaller
parts and if you have large span's (even a couple feet) you
will find the metal needs to be thicker or reinforced, both because
it is less stiff and (self) heavier.
   Good luck.