Subject: Re: WHAt sander to buy?

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Vida-Szucs)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 19:17:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

 >I am looking at getting some sanders.
 >
 >I need a palm sander fairly soon. THis will be used mainly on wood to 
 >refinish furniture.

	Porter Cable.  Milwaukee is as well built, but I do not care for the
	ergonomics as well.  I've used them all and worn em all out, except
	for these two.  I have found the PC to have a finer design and balance,
	and I haven't been able to kill one yet.  I worked for years in cabinet
	shops and beat the hell out of power tools.  PC orbital finishing 
	sanders can take the abuse.  I  have a Speed-Bloc and the 550 and
	they are truly excellent.

 > I was also thinking on getting a belt sander, this would be used on both 
 >wood and steel/metals.

	Unless you want to get the top of the line, I suggest against Porter
	Cable.  Their lower line belt sanders don't hold up and the adjusting
	machanisms *really* suck big time.  I have an old model 50 (if I
	remember correctly) from the 1940's or so.  Built like a tank.  I
	picked it up at a garage sale fo $15.  The equivalent in a new PC
	runs probably $500++ retail.  Also, the PC dust collection mechanism
	tends to fail miserably after only a few months of moderate use.

	If you can get one of the old Rockwell-Porter cable 4x24 sanders 
	in good shape for, say, under $300, snap it up.  they were something 
	like $900 new and that goes back about 15 years.  They are no longer
	made and they were the absolute best I've ever seen in all respects.

	Milwaukees are very well made, but their balance sucks IMO.  
	Those newer generation sanders from Bosch and AEG etc. are
	pretty well designed and work well, but I never used them enough
	to find out how difficult they are to break and how the tracking
	mechanism holds up.  Nothing will annoy you more than a sander
	whose belt will not stay on track when subjected to load.

	-Andy V.

---

From: [email-masked] (Berton L. Shankman)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 15:27:51 GMT

-Andy V.

	IMHO the AEG is superb.  I purchased the 3X21 last year after
having 'used up' my old Sears 4X24 tank (parts no longer available).
I got the 3X21 because it seemed light and still does.  My first task
was to sand of the chipping peeling paint on my house.  It worked
great.  I use it in my woodworking shop regularly and have not had any
problems.  The balance is good; it is not prone to gouging.  Using 2
wing nuts it converts into a stationary easily.  My only complaint is
the noise.  You must wear ear protection because it's fierce :-).
	Bert