Subject: casting bronze/brass

From: [email-masked] (Bill Martin)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 21:23:07 GMT

Any casting experience with brass or bronze available here? I have a strange 
gear to replace, and am considering duplicating a good one in brass or 
bronze.  The bad one is a fiber gear, so strength is not an issue...just 
what to use for moldmaking. Alternatly, would a metal filled epoxy be as 
strong as a fiber gear? Sure would be easier to make a duplicate that way.
All opinions are welcome!

thanks,
bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 22 Feb 94 16:51:52 CST

Bill Martin ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have a strange gear to replace, and am considering duplicating a good one
: in brass or bronze.  The bad one is a fiber gear...
: All opinions are welcome!

I have no comment to make regarding the casting of gears per se; what sort of
size are you talking about here? Is it actually worth casting?

Whetever, my comment is that often a fiber gear is used as a failsafe safety
mechanism, intended to fail in the event of a catastrophic jamming 'downtrain'
(rather lose a fiber gear than damage some expensive machinery); on that basis
are you sure you want to put a brass or bronze gear in there (wherever it is)?
I would expect either to be significantly stronger than the fiber gear...

Just a thought.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby --------- Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA ---------- [email-masked]
Disclaimer: Cray didn't say this... I did...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)