Subject: Brass Dashboard Bluing

From: [email-masked] (Roland Dudley)
Date: 7 Mar 1994 21:19:13 GMT

I'm posting this for someone who does not have newsgroup access.
Suggestions and comments should be sent directly to terry (address
below).  However, if this is a problem for some reason, I will forward
any responses sent to me.

____________________terry's_request_follows_______________________________
it is
a brass panel that when blued has a deep very dark blue sheen and then the
raised embossed accent strips are polished brass.  the whole thing is then
clear coated to preserve the finishes.
conventional plating techniques won't work, such as black chrome,
won't work as you cannot polish out the brass strips.  very beautiful when
done right.  the brits are no help on this problem as they accept very poor
imitations of the original.

tnx much
terry

[email-masked]
___________________end_of_terry's_request_________________________________

Just to fill in some details, I believe the brass in question is the
dashboard of a 1930's vintage MG TA.  I think I've seen similar finishes
on some antique American cars, but I don't recall which car or cars.

Thanks,

Roland

---

From: [email-masked] (Roland Dudley)
Date: 8 Mar 1994 01:02:03 GMT

In an attempt to present Terry's request in his words rather than mine,
I'm afraid what he wanted was left unclear.  Since we had more than one
correspondence about this, the request was clear in my mind but didn't get
conveyed to the posted message.  This was my fault, not Terry's.

What he wants to know is how this type of bluing on brass is done; or at
least some leads as to where he might have it done.

Roland

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Mayhugh)
Date: 10 Mar 1994 19:00:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Roland Dudley)

> least some leads as to where he might have it done.

You might try getting a copy of Sheet Metal Work by R.E. Wakeford. There is
some info in there on the subject. The book costs about $18.00 and is
available from Centaur Forge.