Subject: Re: Help! Urgent!

From: [email-masked] (John Cooley)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 16:58:24 GMT

[email-masked] (Glen Mead) writes:
>First of all, I apologize if I have posted this to the wrong group/list. I am 
>currently in need of information regarding embossing and printing plates (like
>those used for business cards, currency, raised logos on cigarette packages 
>etc) and I'd appreciate it if somebody could help me or at least point me in 
>the right direction.  What I need is the following information:
> - Names of manufacturers/fabricators of embossing plates by hand or
>   otherwise. (Specially in Canada)
> - Uses of embossing plates (cards, packaging, etc.)
> - Names of a few customers who use embossing and why they use it.
> - Cost of purchasing a set of plates, various sizes (please indicate).
> - Are there different qualities of plates for different applications,
>   different medias, or different production runs.

Glen, you may want try looking into using Cadence's Composer product.  I know
of a few people who have made some great looking business cards using this
product!  (These people at Cadence really do know the embossed plate business!)

For the best service you should call Joe Costello at Cadence and ask about
their Composer product.  (Joe's a cool guy -- tell him John Cooley sent you.)
I don't have his phone number handy because I left my Cadence Crafts catalog
in my car but they're based near San Jose, CA.  Just call information there and
they should help you.
                              - John Cooley
                                the ESNUG guy

===========================================================================
 Trapped trying to figure out a Synopsys bug?  Want to hear how 2422 other
 users dealt with it ?  Then join the E-Mail Synopsys Users Group (ESNUG)!
 
      !!!     "It's not a BUG,               [email-masked]
     /o o\  /  it's a FEATURE!"                 (508) 429-4357
    (  >  )
     \ - /     - John Cooley, EDA & ASIC Design Consultant in Synopsys,
     _] [_         Verilog, VHDL and numerous Design Methodologies.

     Holliston Poor Farm, P.O. Box 6222, Holliston, MA  01746-6222
   Legal Disclaimer: "As always, anything said here is only opinion."

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!corpgate!news.utdallas.edu!wupost!tulane!ames!koriel!lll-winken.llnl.gov!sundance.llnl.gov!fastrac.llnl.gov!usenet.ee.pdx.edu!cs.uoregon.edu!news.uoregon.edu!netnews.nwnet.net!saturn.wwc.edu!krh_krhlab09.wwc.edu!johnric Su

n Feb 13 14:12:04 EST 1994
Article: 3716 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!corpgate!news.utdallas.edu!wupost!tulane!ames!koriel!lll-winken.llnl.gov!sundance.llnl.gov!fastrac.llnl.gov!usenet.ee.pdx.edu!cs.uoregon.edu!news.uoregon.edu!netnews.nwnet.net!saturn.wwc.edu!krh_krhlab09.wwc.edu!johnric
From: [email-masked] (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Portable forges
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 18:28:27 GMT
Organization: Walla Walla College
Lines: 31
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: krh_krhlab09.wwc.edu

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (LAHUIS, JEFFREY) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (LAHUIS, JEFFREY)
>Subject: Portable forges
>Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 15:14:28 GMT
>Frist, is there such a thing?  I seem to remember our farrier had one that he 
>used to hot shoe our stud,  but I think that he said he made it himself.
>I would like to get started into blacksmithing and hence need a forge (among 
>other things).  How would I go about buying/constructing one?
>If this is in a FAQ, would someone be kind enough to e-mail it to me as  I 
>have extreme difficulty ftp'ing from this site.
>
>Thanks
>Jeff LaHuis
	This may be in the FAQ but if you want a small portable coal forge 
then you can make one with a wheel froma car and some fireplace mortar.  The 
mortar can be gotten from a fireplace supply and be sure to get the highest 
temp. they have.  The wheel needs to have a hole where the air can come up 
and some type of gate to dump ashes.  A blowdryer can supply air or a 
bellows can be made fairly easily.  Good luck.  This idea was stolen from a 
book on knifemaking whose title escapes me at the moment.

	Also if you are not sure you want to go the forging route you can do 
what I did and hike yourself down to K-Mart and buy a bunch of patio 
bricks.  Stack them so that you have a forge shape and a place for air to 
enter and cover this with a piece of sheet metal with holes drilled in it.  
Get an old blow dryer and voila.  I made my firstthree forged blades with 
this setup.  Cost including coal was 12 dollars and I still have 50 lbs of 
coal left.  Of course I borrowed the anvil (which was a farriers type) from 
a tool junkie freind of mine.

	Rick