Subject: Mig welders HOBART vs LINCOLN

From: [email-masked] (Gordon W J Sorensen)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 17:43:28 GMT

I am considering purchasing a portable MIG welder. Specifically either a 
Lincoln SP-130T or the Hobart Handler 150.  The Hobart is a bit more
expensive than the Lincoln (~$70).  I read the FAQ  about MIG welders. 
The information was useful, however it focused on the 110 versions of 
these machines. I am interested in a bit more power and I am concerned 
about the 24 amps that a 110 machine might draw. I was wondering if anyone 
has some comments on the two machines and the differences between 110 and 
220 volt portable welders in general.  I have already ruled out the import
brands, like  in the Harbor Freight catalogs, and based on the FAQ 
information, I don't think I want to go with Century.  It is interesting, 
that here in Bozo land (Boise) that the local welding supply houses don't 
carry the Miller brand of a 110 MIG welder.  I happen to like Miller as I 
have an AC-DC buzz box that works great.  One salesman told me that the 
only decent portable MIG welders were Lincolns or Hobarts.  He thought 
that Miller made good "larger" machines but that the little ones were junk.

I would appreciate anybody's thoughts or comments on their experiences.

Thanks

gordon

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!darwin.sura.net!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!jussieu.fr!univ-lyon1.fr!swidir.switch.ch!scsing.switch.ch!news.dfn.de!news.dfn.de!zib-berlin.de!zrz.TU-Berlin.DE!netmbx.de!G

ermany.EU.net!EU.net!uknet!pipex!bnr.co.uk!bmdhh130!iainw Sun Feb 13 14:12:12 EST 1994
Article: 3724 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!darwin.sura.net!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!jussieu.fr!univ-lyon1.fr!swidir.switch.ch!scsing.switch.ch!news.dfn.de!news.dfn.de!zib-berlin.de!zrz.TU-Berlin.DE!netmbx.de!

Germany.EU.net!EU.net!uknet!pipex!bnr.co.uk!bmdhh130!iainw
From: [email-masked] (Iain Woolf)
Subject: Shortening a machined lever...Help!
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News Administrator)
Nntp-Posting-Host: bmdhh12
Organization: BNR Europe Ltd, Maidenhead, UK
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 16:04:24 GMT
Lines: 31

I am looking to shorten the gearstick (gear shift lever) on my car by
about 1 inch, and would like to know the best way to do this from a
metalworker's perspective.

The lever is basically a straight rod with a thread on one end and a
widget welded on to the other (which actually interfaces with the gear
selection mechanism). They say a picture is worth a thousand words,
well here's one thats worth about 10% of that:

       --.
       ~~+==============\\\\
       ~~'
    widge     rod        thread

The way I see it, I have two options, 

     1) Cut an inch off the top of the thread, and have some local
        machine shop carry the thread on down for a further inch

     2) Cut an inch out of the middle of the rod and have someone weld
        it back together for me. Clean up the weld.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice/hints/whatever?

Post or email is fine. Thanks.

-- 
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Iain Woolf, BNR, Maidenhead UK | My opinions are my opinions    /~\__
 (0628) 794537     esn 590-4537 | [email-masked]    ^^             O -- O
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------