Subject: Barnes Lathe

From: [email-masked] (Joe Landau)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 04:07:53 GMT

I have an old (patent date in the casting is 1890 or so) Barnes
metal cutting lathe (about 10" swing) that I'm restoring.  Does anyone know
what the original paint scheme on these was?  I saw a Barnes woodworking
lathe in the Smithsonian, same era, and it was painted in the tan color that
I've seen on some restored 1929 or so chevys. Had nice red pinstripes. 
That's a beautiful exibition at the Smithsonian--a whole floor of stuff from
the 1876 Centennial exibition in Philadelphia, but nobody there knows
anything at all about it.

Also, what is best for filling rough machine castings before painting?  I've
tried Bondo, but found it very hard to work.  One sands and sands.  

--Joe Landau                   [email-masked]              Even Jove Nods

---

From: [email-masked] (James Foster x2912)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 21:35:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Joe Landau) writes:
|>  * Deleted *
|> Also, what is best for filling rough machine castings before painting?  I've
|> tried Bondo, but found it very hard to work.  One sands and sands.  
|> 
|> --Joe Landau                   [email-masked]              Even Jove Nods
|>  
|> 

Bondo is surprisingly tough.  The trick is to rough shape/finish it before
is completely hardens.  Use a cheesegrater file (like a Stanly Surform) 
right after the material has firmed up.  This will cut very easily and the
ridges left are easier to sand out when the stuff is completely hard.  As
another poster recommended, try to get it as close to the correct surface
as you can.  Auto body shops sell flexible plastic and rubber smoothers of
different sizes and shapes.  These are great for getting a flush application.

---

From: [email-masked] (William F. Kaiser)
Date: 10 Mar 1994 17:58:36 GMT

Joe Landau ([email-masked]) wrote:

[ deleted ]

> --Joe Landau                   [email-masked]              Even Jove Nods

I used Bondo on a shaper I repainted a few year ago.  To apply it, I cut
spatulas from cardboard, old cereal boxes, etc.  These were flexible and
could be bent to follow the contours of the castings.  When they got beat
up and limp, I cut a new one.  The sanding job wasn't too bad after that.

Bill Kaiser
[email-masked]