Subject: Brass Vs. Bronze Cleaning Brushes

From: [email-masked] (Will Martin)
Date: 18 Feb 1994 14:31:43 -0600

Something I've wondered about -- you can get gun-cleaning brushes in
stainless steel, bronze, brass, or plastic bristles... (I'm referring
to the toothbrush-style things.)

Why would one choose bronze over brass or vice-versa? I can understand
the choice of brass/bronze vs stainless steel, since both of those
are softer than SS and have applications where you don't want to 
scratch a steel surface. And I can understand the choice of plastic
vs brass/bronze for going to an even softer bristle. But I can't
figure out when one would choose brass over bronze, or bronze over
brass... Do some solvents attack brass but not bronze, or vice-versa?

Regards, Will
If header address doesn't work, try:
[email-masked] OR [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 23:53:27 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Will Martin" writes:
> Why would one choose bronze [gun cleaning brushes] over brass or
> vice-versa?

Depends what you're cleaning. Brass will clean a shotgun OK, but won't
shift lead fouling in a rifled firearm. Brass brushes don't last long
either, phosphor bronze is just as good/safe and doesn't get that "old
toothbrush" look so easily.

Nylon brushes are for cleaning black powder firearms where you have lots of
powder gunk to shift, but no real lead fouling.

--
Andy Dingley   Codesmiths of Newcastle   [email-masked]