Subject: Taper adaptation

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 15:55:46 GMT

I have an far east clone drill press which states that it has a JT3
taper spindle.  I would like to get a keyless chuck, but no one seems
to have them for this taper, nor does anyone seem to have adapters,
even Enco.  I am assuming that the end of the spindle which is the JT3
is the chuck end.  If I get out the entire spindle, how do I tell what
the other end is so maybe I can replace the whole spindle?  Any
suggestions?

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 15:56:12 CST

Are you sure the spindle ahs a JT3?  Most of the imports i am familiar

with have a female Morse Taper #2.  Between the spindle and the chuck

is an arbor with a male MT2 and a male JT3 or JT33.  The arbor is removed

by driving a wedge into a milled slot in the extended quill.  If this

is how yours is made, you only need to buy a different arbor.  I expect

the chuck you want uses a JT33.  A MT2-JT33 arbor is available from

ENCO.  Check to see if your press has an arbor.  I'll bet it does.

Good Luck!   Gordon Pari

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 19:27:28 GMT

>>>>> "Gordon" == U39466  <[email-masked]> writes:

Gordon> Are you sure the spindle ahs a JT3?  Most of the imports i am
Gordon> familiar with have a female Morse Taper #2.  Between the
Gordon> spindle and the chuck is an arbor with a male MT2 and a male
Gordon> JT3 or JT33.  The arbor is removed by driving a wedge into a
Gordon> milled slot in the extended quill.  If this is how yours is
Gordon> made, you only need to buy a different arbor.  I expect the
Gordon> chuck you want uses a JT33.  A MT2-JT33 arbor is available
Gordon> from ENCO.  Check to see if your press has an arbor.  I'll bet
Gordon> it does.

All I am sure of is that the info label on the housing says JT3, now
whether it is the chuck or spindle end.  Thanks for the hint on
removing the arbor, but what if I extend the quill and there is not
milled slot?  What if there is not an arbor, but just the JT3 on the
business end of the quill?  Am I stuck or are there other options?

Thanks to you all for all the help so far.

From bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!hearst.acc.Virginia.EDU!caen!batcomputer!hookup!news.kei.com!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!swrinde!sgiblab!cs.uoregon.edu!usenet.ee.pdx.edu!news.reed.edu!gaia.ucs.orst.edu!news.csos.orst.edu!CSOS.ORST.EDU!can

noys Fri Mar 18 11:40:49 EST 1994
Article: 4234 of rec.crafts.metalworking
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!hearst.acc.Virginia.EDU!caen!batcomputer!hookup!news.kei.com!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!swrinde!sgiblab!cs.uoregon.edu!usenet.ee.pdx.edu!news.reed.edu!gaia.ucs.orst.edu!news.csos.orst.edu!CSOS.ORST.EDU!ca

nnoys
From: [email-masked] (Scott Cannoy)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Recommendation: MIG or Oxy-Acetylene
Date: 17 Mar 1994 14:50:10 GMT
Organization: CS Outreach Services, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA
Lines: 45
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: csos.orst.edu

In article <[email-masked]>,
Michael Serafin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>Things they (and probably most other dealers) do *NOT* like:
>>
>>1) Do NOT bring the cylinders into the office/building unless
>>   told to do so.   Leave them outside near your truck or the 
>>   loading area.   A leaking cylinder could spoil their whole day.
>>
>>2) Do NOT ask them to help you load the cylinders into your
>>   car.   Transporting gas cylinders in a car is dangerous
>>   and they don't want to help you kill yourself.   Airco
>>   has posters up showing what can happen.   Use a truck
>>   and make sure the cylinders are *secure*.
>>
>>3) Do NOT bring them a cylinder without the safety cap.
>>   If yours is missing, go there a day early and buy one
>>   (about $6.50).

Read this, learn this, live this :)

These are three very good guidelines.

>
>
>Solve points 1-3 by having the dealer pick-up and deliver the tanks.  Just
>call 'em when you need a refill.  They bring out fresh ones and take the
>spent ones.  And all this at no extra charge, but then I do lease the
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     MAYBE, I'd call them first. Some charge extra for delivery,
and/or the truck may deliver to your area only on specific days. YMMV

>tanks from them if that really matters.
>
>
>

-- 
Scott Cannoy               //    Also to be found at:
Albany, Oregon            //  Industrial Welding Supply Inc.
[email-masked]    //       Corvallis, Oregon