Subject: Sand cast metals

From: kaminsky@comp..uark.edu (Hank Kaminsky)
Date: 12 May 1994 18:21:50 GMT

These remarks are concerning the casting of metal in sand molds. I am a 
sculptor and sculpture is my primary field of interest but I believe that 
this field can offer something for metalworkers in general so I am 
posting this article here and in rec.crafts.jewelry since there is no 
group for sculptors in particular.

Metal sculpture is typically designed in some plastic medium such as wax 
or clay, etc. or constructed by welding. 

Since 1971 I have been designing sculpture and jewelry in the open face of 
the sand mold. I have produced thousands of pieces of jewelry and 
hundreds of sculptures using sand as my design medium. These works run 
the gamut from simple platelike relief sculptures to complex many-piece 
forms which require cores and piece molds. I enjoy making things that 
include other materials such as wood, glass and a mix of metals. .
For the past few years I have been forced to drift away from these  
experimental techniques in order to support my growing family. I have been 
making my living doing portrait sculptures.

I am now in the process of gathering materials for a book and some smaller 
publications on the sand-design techniques and I would like to hear 
from anyone interested in learning more about the process.
In September of 1994 I will be offering my first semester long class
in the basic techniques of sand casting and design at my studio in 
Fayetteville AR under the auspices of the University of Arkansas. I am
looking for funding sources, students, collegues, and the general level
of interest in this technique.
I will post a more detailed description in the near future if there is any 
interest, and if I can figure out how to best use this rather extraordinary y
tool I'm sitting at. 

Write me at: ::

Hank Kaminsky ([email-masked])
542 Assembly Road (501-443-2077) Home 
641 West 6th Street (501-442-5805) Studio o
Fayetteville AR 72701 

--
Hank Kaminsky ([email-masked])
543 Assembly Rd. (Home) 501-443-2077
641 West 6th St. (Studio) 501-442-5805
Fayetteville AR 72701