Subject: Machinist's Bedside Reader 3

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 21 Feb 1994 21:22:39 -0800

Well, I have to pass on the story.  Some weeks ago, after looking for 
nearly a decade, I was able to acquire a "hobby" lathe (a little Sherline
in this case) at a price I could afford.

Now, I've had other hobbies, and my pattern is to surround myself with 
accessories, tools, books, magazines, more books, software, an
anything else that might be useful.  Having reached my 50's, I
have had quite a few (still have 'em, mostly...) hobbies, and have
accumulated quite a lot of "stuff".

Machining needs Machinery's Handbook, which I bought from the young
fellow fixing the fluorescent in the used bookstore.  He has the 23'rd
edition, wants the new one.  Doesn't work for the bookstore, just 
fixes electrical stuff for everyone.

Machining needs Home Shop Machinist, which I duly ordered, including
a bunch of back issues, and I got my first one on Thursday.

Inside is an ad for (what is now known as ) MBR3 - available from
(and done by, apparently) one Guy Lautard, just a few minutes from me
in the Vancouver area.  

To cut a long story down a little, I called Guy, introduced myself, and
invited myself over to look and talk.  No point in using the mail when
the fone and car will do...

Being a true compulsive, I bought all 3 of the MBRs, and the smaller
"gotta tell you" besides.  No point in getting into a hobby by half
measures.  (I should point out that I haven't really done anything
since that C-clamp in grade 10, except take a file to the galled 
pistons in my several Lawn Boy mowers over the years.)

Now that I've had a chance to look these over, I have to saythat they
fit perfectly into my bookshelf (bedside).  I've learned more from the 
hints, stories, projects, widgets and experiences than I could have from
studying M's Handbook for months.

I joined this newsgroup to learn - a strategy that has worked in quite
a few areas from Digital Signal Processing to Winsock - and I have to
say that so far, between what I've picked up in the last few months
from the net, and what's in the newfound MBRs, I'm way ahead of schedule
in terms of researching this potentially bankrupting hobby.

THis is an unsolicited comment; I have nothing to do with MBR or
it's author, I'm just a very, very happy customer, and highly recommend
the books.  Available from the address in Home Shop Machinist - email
me if you can't find it.

/Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (William F. Kaiser)
Date: 22 Feb 1994 14:50:35 GMT

Mark Fraser ([email-masked]) wrote:

[ Deleted ]

> in terms of researching this potentially bankrupting hobby.

This is a money saving hobby, not a bankrupting hobby.  Instead of going
down to the hardware store and spending 40 cents on a bolt, you can make
your own in just a couple of hours. 

Bill Kaiser
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Stryker)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 14:36:14

>>your own in just a couple of hours. 
I'm going to run down to my local used machine tool dealer and buy a hydraulic
tracer lathe, so I can make more than one bolt.  Bankrupting?  No way!
Its just therapy with a result that is tangible.  :-)