Subject: Deckel Mill

From: [email-masked] (Bob DeMers)
Date: 15 Sep 1994 10:50:04 CDT

Down in our company's machine shop they have a mill with the label:
Frederich Deckel, Munchen, Germany. It is much smaller than the Bridgeports
next to it, but still big enough to do some sizeable work on it.  It looks
like it would be ideal for a home shop, since it seems like it would fit
through standard doors with little or no disassembly and appears to be of a
reasonable weight.  

Are these mills available on the market and does anyone have any data on
them?

-- 
Bob DeMers 
Honeywell Technology Center
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John Morton)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 22:52:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Are these mills available on the market and does anyone have any data on

I have only seen one of Deckel's smaller machines, a beautiful and 
precise little thing that grinds profile tools.  I think it cost $4000+
ten years ago, which means that any Deckel too big for one person to pick up 
is too expensive for one person's budget.  However it is always reassuring
that there is still a good manual tool made somewhere.

John Morton					University of California
[email-masked]			Mechanical Engineering
{decvax,cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton		Machine Shop