Subject: Re: clocks

From: [email-masked] (Daryl Bender)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 15:55:55 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (M Straatmann)
wrote:

> I would like to begin building a largish type clock.  (while 
> they were still more of a smith's job than a jewelers).  I was 
> wondering if anyone else out there had done something of this sort or 
> could add to my reading list.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

You might try;

Gateway Clocks,
7936 Camberley Drive,
Powell, TN.
37849
(615) 947-9671

W.R. Smith has written several books on differnt clocks. I sent away for
"How to Make a Grasshopper Skeleton Clock" ($35.00). The book completely
describes how to make the clock (about 20" tall). The Grasshopper
escapement looks very interesting and visually animated. The pendulum is
double bobbed  (short but slow) like a dumbbell with the pivot about 1/3
from one end. The $35.00 price seemed a bit high for the book but it is
complete.

Daryl

-- 
Working, but not speaking for BNR.