Subject: Air Powered planishing hammer ???

From: [email-masked] (Chris)
Date: 8 Feb 95 17:09:19 PST

Hello...I am looking for an air powered planishing hammer.  These were used in
body shops in the 40-50's.  Does anyone know about these ?? or where i could
find an old one ? Instruction manuals ?

They normally had changeable dies that were at different radius to form the
sheet metal

THanks for all your help    CHRIS

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 16:38:32 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Chris) 

>THanks for all your help    CHRIS

I've been trying to find one for 10 years.  Used, they are rare and 
expensive.  New, the price is out of sight for anyone but a $ rich pro.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: 10 Feb 1995 21:36:49 GMT

> They normally had changeable dies that were at different radius to form the

The book Sheet Metal Handbook (by Ron and Sue Fournier, HPBooks, 1989)
has a picture of an air planishing hammer made by U.S. Industrial Tool
and Supply.  According to this book, a planishing hammer is just for
finishing.  A power hammer is used for forming.  This is similar to a
blacksmith's power hammer (like a Little Giant), but the dies are
small, light and mounted at chest height.  The lower die is
cantilevered to allow forming complex shapes.

    U.S. Industrial Tool and Supply
    15101 Cleat St.
    Plymouth, MI 48170

This company has some interesting stuff, too:

    Williams Low Buck Tools
    4175 California Ave.
    Norco, CA 91760

I've never done any of this kind of metalworking.  I'm just quoting the
book.    
--
Steve Hampson                           
Blue Sky Research
534 SW 3rd Ave
Portland, OR 97204
503-222-9571
503-222-1643 fax