Subject: Re: Anybody know the pric

From: [email-masked] (Carl Mork)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 03:13:00 GMT

-=> Quoting James Kirkpatrick to All <=-

 JK> Is there an "easy" way to determine composition, in this case between
 JK> brass and bronze?  I have many 35-pound I-beam-shaped extrusions that
 JK> seem to be bronze (based on color comparison with brass), but have
 JK> never really been certain.  They were vacuum columns from very old IBM
 JK> 7-track tape drives (part of an IBM 709), and are chrome plated on one
 JK> side. It just seems nice to know what I have!

     Well, usually brass is yellow when cleaned while bronze tends towards a
     more red color.  Brass is 'brassy' yellow, while bronze is more golden
     yellow( when it is yellow.  Other than that you'd have to go to chemical
     tests.

... I em zee Svedeesh Cheff oof Burg. Zee cheeckee veell be-a esseemileted
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: 20 Oct 1994 18:19:22 GMT

>     yellow( when it is yellow.  Other than that you'd have to go to chemical

I have no reason to believe that the above is not correct, but I can
tell you one instance where it'll fool you:  If you clean brass with
the "appropriate" cleaner/etchant, it can become copper-rich at the
surface and turn "reddish".   

-Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Mork)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 05:38:00 GMT

-=> Quoting Eric Perozziello to All <=-
 >     yellow( when it is yellow.  Other than that you'd have to go to chemical
 EP> I have no reason to believe that the above is not correct, but I can
 EP> tell you one instance where it'll fool you:  If you clean brass with
 EP> the "appropriate" cleaner/etchant, it can become copper-rich at the
 EP> surface and turn "reddish".   
     Ahhh.....good point!  try rubbing it clean with steel wool(0000) or if
     large enough buff it on a wheel.

... "I'll be Bach." - Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12