Subject: Mail Order Steel Alloys?

From: [email-masked] (John Bunk)
Date: 22 Nov 1994 05:08:06 GMT

Hi,
Can anyone point me to a mail-order place which has
steel alloy (4340) round bar stock (3/4 to 1 1/8")?

Thanks,
John

BTW:  E-mail replys to [email-masked].  Thanks!
-- 
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
Launchpad is an experimental internet BBS. The views of its users do not 
necessarily represent those of UNC-Chapel Hill, OIT, or the SysOps.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

---

From: [email-masked] (Nicole Martin)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 15:09:45 GMT

I'm looking for spring steel that resembles electrician's fish tape,
but thinner gauge.  That is, spring steel about 1/8" wide, but thinner
than .060 (if I remember what the fish tape said on the box; or maybe
that was .60 metric?)  I haven't measured; just eyeballed/felt.  

It's to be used in 3-4" lengths on Africanesque musical instruments
(mbira, kalimba, thumbpiano).

Thanks for any suggestions, mail order or some kind of surplus--I
think 50' would probably supply me for a couple of lifetimes.

John Trimble
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 16:55:24 GMT

> steel alloy (4340) round bar stock (3/4 to 1 1/8")?

I would try Admiral, I know they carry 4130 and 5160 along with a lot of
carbon, tool and stainless steels.

Admiral Steel Corp (Chicago)
1-800-323-7055

Luck.
			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *