Subject: Another auction report

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 20:34:58 GMT

The last time I did this, I asked if anyone wanted me to continue and I
only got one 'no', so here's today's report.

This was a small Tool and Gage company.  In general, there were too many
people with too much money.  Again, the downside of a booming economy.

Small stuff:

Assorted crummy machine vises - $15ea

Little Champ keyway cutter sets $135 ea

Starrett 36x48 Granite Surface plate $500

Bridgeport collets $6ea (quant 55) [these were bid up to $23, only later did
 the fellow realize that $1K for a box of collets was not a good deal and
 begged off.  Really po'd the auctioneer]

Bridgeport R8 toolholders $27.50 each [the fellow who bid up the collets
 got these too]

Kurt Ang-lock 6" vise with swivel base $225
  same without swivel base $250 [go figure]

Falcon Kwiklok toolholder set $100 (I missed out on this one)

Bridgeport boring heads $100 - $150. [I paid $80 for the one I have, and
 I thought that was high]

Bridgeport holddown sets $70 ea

4 drawbars + 4 collet racks $40

Aloris quick change tool posts $500-650

A tiny 1/8hp toolpost grinder, catalog says Dumore, but I don't think so: $200

===

Machinery:

Parma work-a-matic band saw  $1450

Series I 2hp variable speed Bridgeport with DRO, 1980  $6500-$6750
  same machine with a riser block went for $7250

Baldor 7" Double end pedestal grinder $250

Moog Hydrapoint NC Vertical Milling Machine (Air/hydraulic operated with
  tool changers and controls).  There were 2 available, both went for
  $400 each.  If you had the space, these were a steal.

Watum Wroclaw 20x79 geared head lathe $3250

Clausing-Colchester 17x60 geared head lathe $9000

Clausing-Colchester 15x30 geared head lathe $7000 (I was really interested
  in this one, but bidding started above my limit and went rapidly upward)

DoAll 16" Vertical bandsaw $1300 (this was in pretty poor shape and made
terrible noises when running.  I bid on it, but dropped out early)

Wells Horizontal cutoff saw $800

Thunderbolt 5hp 3ph air compressor $1150

There was a 10% premium added to the above prices for the auction company.

I expected the Clausing 15x30 to go for $5-6K and I was praying for
$2-3K. It was a little beat up cosmetically, but pretty sound with
3 and 4 jaw chucks and faceplates.

A lot of the guys were pretty disgusted with the Bridgeport prices.  Most
people expected something in the $4-5K range.  I saw similar mills, similarly
equiped, going for $1800-2400 a year ago.  A lot of the small stuff was
outrageous.  I can buy an American made holddown set for $89 from my local
supplier and import ones are available for $49.  $70 for incomplete kits
is just ridiculous.  The toolholders were also high.  I think the new
price is in the $30-$40 range and I saw a complete set go at a previous
auction for $80.

There were a couple of miscellaneous lots that had some interesting stuff,
but their prices were out of sight too.

The small shop operators are really getting squeezed by these prices too.  I
was talking to one fellow who was complaining that the banks won't advance
any significant loans since they're afraid things will turn around real
fast and they'll be left holding the bag.

I don't think it was a conincidence that this is the same aution company
that ran the stamping plant auction I reported on a couple of weeks ago.
That one also was running high.  I guess they're pretty effective at
extracting dollars.  Oh well, there's always next time :-)

-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, Michigan  USA]
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Lamont)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 00:06:36 +0000

[cut]
> >
> >Just an aside.  Here in Pasadena, CA the Pasadena power co. is now all
> >steam turbines.  They used to be all Corless.  The old flywheels are now
> >the parking lot walls....
> >
> >    - Barry Workman 
> 
> Sugar mills in Africa and Indonesia are still Corless.  Those 20' 
> flywheels and clacking valves are fascinating to watch.  Any these left 
> in Hawaii?
> 
> JerryK
> 
> 

Would that be Corliss, as in Corliss trip valve-gear?
                  ^  
-- 
Charles Lamont