Subject: Good Electric Drill ?

From: [email-masked] (Les Aquino)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 15:27:44 HKT

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good all-around electric drill for
home use ?  I'm no expert and my first project for it will include boring
1/4" dia. holes in steel square tubing.  I would appreciate mentioning
brand names or even model numbers.  In general, I've heard brands like
Black and Decker, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi and Atlas Copco.  How do these
compare in prices and quality ?  I'd appreciate your comments and
experiences, good or bad, on this.  If there's a FAQ file on this question,
just kindly point me to it.  Thanx.

-Les

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Rezsutek)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 15:38:19 GMT

[email-masked] (Les Aquino) writes:

   home use ?  

I have a Milwaulkee 3/8" hammer drill.  I don't know the model number,
but it has a 5Amp motor.  My attitude with this thing has been, if it
can't drill through something, I probably don't need a hole there. :-)
So far, it has not let me down.  

Steve

-- 
---
Steven Rezsutek			      [email-masked]
Nyma / NASA GSFC 	
Code 735.2			      Vox: +1 301 286 0897
Greenbelt, MD 20771

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 04:01:20 GMT

>just kindly point me to it.  Thanx.

I've got a Makita 3/8 variable speed reversable, don't have the model
number handy. It does all I ask of it. Another post refers to
Milwaukee. Their pro-quality stuff is top rated albeit expensive. I
chose the plug-iln type over the battery operated as I donn't want to
mess with dead batteries in the middle of a project. It feels good in
my hand and has taken a beating. I tried a Sears model which, I think,
was made by Black and Decker (not sure on this...) and didn't like it.
It seemed cheezy. The variable speed is important if yo are drilling
various materials, and can be used with screwdriver bits as well.

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 15 Jan 95 21:44:47 CST

Les Aquino ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Does anybody have a suggestion for a good all-around electric drill for
: home use ?...

I have a feeling that the good folks over in rec.woodworking have a FAQ that
covers such tools...

Tim
--
Tim Kirby                    - [email-masked] -                +1-(612)-683-5390
Software Division System Support ________________ Cray Research, Eagan MN, USA
----------------- Ask not for whom I speak - I speak for me ------------------
If you are sure you understand everything that is going on,
you are hopelessly confused...                                - Walter Mondale