Subject: Looking for a Low Cost First Milling Machine....

From: [email-masked] (Rick Bartholomew)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 22:10:04 GMT

I'm in the market for a low-cost milling machine. I've looked at products
>from  Jet (mill/drills), Smithy (both the Mill/Lathe/Food processor and
their Gear Driven mill), ShopSmith, and some other no-name Taiwanese 
imports, plus some used (abused) Bridgeport machines (I don't relish 
using a single phase to 3-phase converter or motor/generator).

Can anyone recommend a low-cost milling machine? How is Jet? They seem to 
make just about everything. What about the Smithy? They seem to have a 
excellent catalog (targeted at the beginner), but the Mill/Lathe seams to
have limited swing, plus small turning capacity (I've already got access
to 8"x36"  craftsman metal lathe (my fathers). I'm looking to do some 
gun smithing and model work on this mill, and may work with some items up
to 8" to 10" square, plus rifle actions (plus barrels).

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks	Rick B.

============================================================================
Rick Bartholomew - Senior Engineer         |  My opinions are my own
Pitney Bowes Shipping and Weighing Systems |  and not necessarily those of
Shelton, Connecticut, USA                  |  my employer.
-------------------------------------------|--------------------------------
E-Mail Address: [email-masked]       | I think - Therefor I am not
                                           | politicaly correct.
============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 4 Jan 95 04:30:59 MST

You mentioned Jet.  You may as well look at Grizzley, which seems to
be one small step below Jet in terms of quality, and at lower cost.
At least, the quality assesment is based on opinions of several other
net folk.

   -  Grizzly Imports, Inc.

      West of Mississippi:
      P.O. Box 2069
      Bellingham, WA 98227
      (800) 541-5537, (800) 225-0021 (FAX)

      East of Mississippi:
      2406 Reach Road
      Williamsport, PA 17701
      (800) 523-4777, (800) 438-5901 (FAX)

      Imports a wide range of power tools and accessories.  Metal lathes,
      milling machines, as well as lots of woodworking tools.  They also
      sell a belt sander called the "Knife Belt Sander/Buffer."  Among
      the importers of Taiwan-made tools, Grizzly seems to rank fairly
      well compared with Enco or Harbor Freight, though some consider Jet
      to be a bit better (at higher cost).

---

From: [email-masked] (Russ Kepler)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 04:30:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>using a single phase to 3-phase converter or motor/generator).

I use a static phase converter and have no problems with it - you
don't *really* need an expensive phase converter unless you're going
to run the hardware near it's limit (or use 3phase for braking).

>to 8" to 10" square, plus rifle actions (plus barrels).

Well, if you're going to cut a barrel octagonal you'll need a long
table, for smokepoles you need a *real* long table.  I bought a used
9x48, and that's about right to do the long octagonal barrels.  If
that's the intent you might have eliminated many of the contenders
already.
-- 
Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

                      Please don't feed the Engineers

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 4 Jan 1995 23:02:38 GMT

Rick Bartholomew ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm in the market for a low-cost milling machine. I've looked at products
: from Jet (mill/drills), Smithy (both the Mill/Lathe/Food processor and
: their Gear Driven mill), ShopSmith, and some other no-name Taiwanese 
: imports, plus some used (abused) Bridgeport machines (I don't relish 
: using a single phase to 3-phase converter or motor/generator).
: Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
: 	Thanks	Rick B.
: ============================================================================
	--Another good place to start is with a used machine. The two 
best, IMHO, *if* you can locate them are Benchmaster and Clausing. I've 
used both and they beat the pants off of anything but the 
Bridgeport-class machines. Check the used machinery dealers and the want 
ads in your area; ya never know. A plus: if you find one, you'll probably 
get it with tooling...
	
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------