Subject: Re: Where can I buy real gold?

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 15:05:46 GMT

>From  article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Edward D Schernau):
> I'd like to buy some gold to do some casting with...  Any sources?
> Can I get _real_ gold??
> 
> Ed
> 

You could try...

- Jewellers, especially dealers in 2nd-hand rings, etc.  They might sell you
mis-shapen items for melting down, for just the value of the gold.
- Manufacturers of rings, etc.  Probably sell you "new" gold, at a price.
- Dental workshops.  As above.
- Craft suppliers (ask on rec.crafts).  Probably at inflated prices!

Bear in mind that if you're going to make something to be sold as "gold"
(ornaments or jewellery) then you will have to get it assayed for purity,
then hallmarked.  You will probably need to get gold of known purity to melt
down, to avoid problems.  Assaying takes time, costs money (a percentage of 
the value, although I could be wrong again), and involves knowledge of the 
assay system - you would probably need to involve someone in the trade.

If, however, you're going to make something of gold 'cos gold works best
(i.e. teeth, electrical contacts, etc.) then while _you_ ought to know what
quality you're using, you don't need assay marks.

Guessing mode off.

$>

-- 
David Jenkins					32 days and counting...
--------------------------%<-------------------------------------------
If you arrange the cats and the buttered bread just right, you get an 
anti-gravity drive.  That's why UFOs make a purring sound.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 29 Nov 94 09:00:16 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Edward D Schernau) writes:
|>I'd like to buy some gold to do some casting with...  Any sources?
|>Can I get _real_ gold??

I see from your address you are in the UK, that may make some sort of
difference.  In the US, one source of gold would be a coin/jewelry store
that sells gold boullion (sp?).  Jewelers might have sources with lower
overhead; you might ask rec.crafts.jewelry.

At one time I think it was illegal to own plain gold in the USA, though
jewelry was OK.  At that time the price of gold was fixed at $32/oz and
the currency was based on that.  Later (1960s?) it was de-regulated and
the money is now based on the good faith of the government (heh!).  I'd
be curious to know the situation in the UK.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward D Schernau)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 13:10:50 GMT

Ed

---

From: [email-masked] (Daryl Bender)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 16:42:53 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Edward D

> I'd like to buy some gold to do some casting with...  Any sources?
I know some years back my parents bought several ounces at the bank (Bank
of Nova Scotia). I think it's just treated like other stocks, bonds etc. It
takes a while to arrive. Its 99.9999% pure or something like that (stamped
on the bar). I beleive minimum bar size was 2oz and if you think that is
physically big think again. Call your bank and ask. If they don't sell it
they might tell you where to go (to buy the gold).There is also a brokerage
fee or something I beleive.
Daryl 
-- 
Working, but not speaking for BNR.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Taylor)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 07:06:35 GMT

Hi Edward:

Since I have been in the Jewelry Business for 25 years, I should be
the one to answer your question.

Pure gold is 24k.  Normally in the US this is mixed with other metals
to make a lower karat and is called alloy and the process called 
alloying.  50% gold would be 12K.  18K would be 18K gold.  14K is
about 58%. Get the picture.

What is mixed with the pure gold is very important in casting.  If you
are not knowledgable in the field, better to get it already mixed.  You
can get it from some jewelry supply houses or from gold refiners.  Both
in your phone dir.

The problem with old rings and such (not that they might not work) is that
many alloys are used and some just don't mix well and cause problems in
casting.  Also any solder on the item may cause pits in your casting.  If
you do use old jewelry try to use non-soldered parts.

Jewelry is a "thing" in itself.  But if you're interested read as much as
you can and then Luck to you.

Let Me know your progress.

          _____________________ 
         /      James at       \       
        / Everybody's Bookstore \
        |515 6th.  Rapid City,SD|   
        |      605-341-3224     |     
        [email-masked]
Edward D Schernau ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'd like to buy some gold to do some casting with...  Any sources?
: Can I get _real_ gold??

: Ed

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 06:56:45 GMT

>Jim

Casting gold can be had from most jewelry supply houses.  Griegers --
a catalog house/supply store that I've posted here before carries
bulk casting gold.  The prices are now tied to the spot price market
as a baseline so costs fluxuate with the market.  Under international
law for gold to be sold as 14K it must be no less than 13.5K so you will
be buying 13.5K.  The same with 18K [17.5] and 22K [21.5].

BTW we went on the "paper gold" standard in the Johnson Administration --
a move that was made to devalue France's hard gold position in the
world....

Another thought for casting gold would be dental supply houses.  Dental
gold is 18K and is alloyed tougher than most jewelers gold.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Yogi Shan)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 01:23:59 GMT

Or you can buy Canadian "Maple Leaf" coins.  Each
Maple Leaf coin consists of 1 oz. of pure, 
unalloyed 24K gold.

(.5oz, .25oz, and .125oz are also available, but
the 1oz size is the best deal).  Price (at least
in North America) is only a few few dollars above
the spot gold price.  It's also not taxed in
North America, which may not be the case for
for bullion.

Might be easier to get than the bullion, and might be
cheaper as well, depending on brokerage fee for 
the bullion.

It's also easy to resell, if you have too many.

Yogi

---

From: [email-masked] (21012d)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 02:50:15 GMT

I have been following this thread with some interest,
can anyone suggest a US or international source for
"all precious alloy"  a gold/platinum white gold
and how much is a reasonable premium.   
   I have been discouraged by the premiums (cost over 
spot) for both silver and gold alloys. 
    Les DeGroff