Subject: Brazing?

From: [email-masked] (ChrisB1981)
Date: 29 Dec 1994 15:12:43 -0500

I have read the term "brazing" in various sources but I am not sure what
it is.  Is this similar to welding or silver soldering?  Thanks
                                                                          
Reg Barron

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 29 Dec 94 14:32:49 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (ChrisB1981) writes:
|>I have read the term "brazing" in various sources but I am not sure what
|>it is.  Is this similar to welding or silver soldering?  Thanks
|>                                                                          
|>Reg Barron

Here is a snipped-down entry from the FAQ, which is posted once a month
with a request for news systems to keep it for a month, that most news
system managers pig-headedly ignore.  Or you can get a copy via ftp from
plains.uwyo.edu in the METAL directory.  Note Plains is normally down
early Sunday morning and early Monday morning but for the holidays this
will be Tuesday and Wednesday.

21.  Soldering/brazing topics.

     There sometimes seems a fine line between soldering (several types,
     at that), brazing, and welding.  Here we try to shed some light on
     soldering and brazing.

     The following was contributed by Tim Kirby around 3/3/93 when the
     newsgroup was discussing the "true meaning" of silver soldering and
     the distinction between hard and soft solder.
[snip]
     Soldering and brazing are processes which involve the joining of metals
     by the addition of molten filler metal of substantially different
     composition, at temperatures well below their melting point.  An important
     difference between silver-soldering and brazing or welding is that the
     brazing alloy or filler material must be drawn by capillary forces right
     through the mating joint surfaces, and not merely deposited at the edges.

     Soft Solders are generally accepted as including the alloys of low melting
     point up to about 400 deg. C.  They are usually based on Tin or Lead with
     small additions of antimony and sometimes silver.

     Hard solders, or silver-solders, are those alloys suitable for soldering
     which have melting points from 400 deg. C. up to about 800 deg. C.

     Brazing alloys are alloys suitable for brazing (sic) which have melting
     points from about 800 deg. C. up to about 1000 deg. C.

     It should however be understood that there is no definite line of
     demarcation between silver-solders and brazing alloys.  The former always
     contain a proportion of silver, while the brazing alloys generally contain
     copper, zinc and sometimes tin.  Brazing alloys containing copper and
     phosphorus are also available...[snip]