Subject: 3 phase conversion tip

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Dec 1994 04:29:25 GMT

A question in the woodworking forum brought on this tip.  Lots of 
folks are spending big money for so called "rotary" 3 phase 
converters.  I bought a 3 phase converter box from Phase-a-Matic 
in Palmdale, CA.   This worked fine, but later on I wired in an 
old 5 hp 3 phase "idler" motor.  The idea of the idler is to 
generate power thru the motor to pick up the third (and missing) 
phase, thereby bringing your power back to about 80% of the 
original.  It's a lot cheaper than (depending on what you spend 
for an old idler motor) than the "rotary" converter.  I have mine 
set up with 3 phase receptacles and my milling machines plugged 
into them.  I put my idler out in a little outbuilding and if I'm 
spending the evening working in my garage, I just let the idler 
run.  If you need more info. on wiring up all this, drop me an E 
mail direct.     Carl

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 18 Dec 1994 23:20:18 GMT

>run.  If you need more info. on wiring up all this, drop me an E 

If you ask Phase-a-Matic, they will tell you that their rotary 
converters are exactly what you have done, just packaged a bit nicer.

Mike