Subject: Re: Live steamer question

From: [email-masked] (-F.KERFOOT)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 13:57:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Greg Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>Any live steamers out there familiar with Rogers-Cooke loco works
>and/or Robert Holder?  I am considering buying a frame from them and
>would like to check on their reputation and quality of workmanship.
>THANKS!

Bob frequents the New Jersey Live Steamers, where I am a member. He
typically brings examples of his work. At present I have only bought
small items from him, like model nuts and bolts, but from everything
I can see he is competent and reputable. Based on casual observation,
the frames he makes look very nice. The flame cutting is quite uniform,
and the faces are Blanchard ground afterward. Although I am still
working on the tender, my assumption now is that when I get to the
locomotive frames (1 1/2" scale Atlantic), I will buy them from
Bob. I don't know if it matters to you, but Bob says he can cut
any frame pattern you would like (given a drawing), not just the
"standard" ones he has done already.

By the way, from what I can tell, Bob runs a commercial metalworking
shop. The live steam portion of his work seems to be a sideline,
not his main source of income. I regard this as a positive.

Frank Kerfoot
[email-masked]