Subject: Welding Gavlanized sheet

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 12:31:50 -0500

I am building a small furnace and the only 16" dia drum I can find for
the jacket is galvanized.  What is the best way to remove a galvanized
coating so the base steel can be welded? 

Even better, does anyone know of a product that comes in a 16" dia.
uncoated steel drum?  A quarter drum that grease comes in is only 14" dia.

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas Jr)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 04:37:08 GMT

GAshmore ([email-masked]) wrote:
:  I am building a small furnace and the only 16" dia drum I can find for
: the jacket is galvanized.  What is the best way to remove a galvanized
: coating so the base steel can be welded? 

	JUST IN CASE someone out there in the peanut gallery doesn't 
know, NEVER get galvanized metal that hot... The stuff is unbelievably 
toxic when it burns. I saw the results when a guy welded up a bicycle 
frame out of EMT some years ago. He wound up in the hospital for a few 
days and counted himself lucky. Last I heard he got out of the trade 
(making custom bicycle frames) and became a politician... It figures, 
somehow...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 08:46:26 -0500

I use the forced air helmet from the folks who make the Airmate.  Even
welding black iron, I can feel dull the day after a long session.  The
helmet stopped that.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 02:47:16 GMT

>(making custom bicycle frames) and became a politician... It figures, 

I second the motion.  I got one whif of the smoke while welding 
EMT tubing (smells sweet) and I was sick for two days as if I had the 
flu.

Didn't stop me but I now use a welding hood with forced air if I have to 
weld on Zinc but I resist doing it now.

Best,
Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 19:34:38 -0500

>  Still, be sure to do it outdoors. I have
>  heard that some things are still cadmium plated. (not good to breathe,
etc)

I have come to realize that if it smokes when you start a bead start
worrying.  Zink, cadium etc all scare me.  White smoke is like yellow
snow.  Materials to be avoided.:-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Mr. Nice Guy)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 08:54:42 -0700

>coating so the base steel can be welded? 

Try using acid to remove the zinc.

-- 
Rod Anderson  aka Mr. Nice Guy     o              o
[email-masked]           _/\-\__/*       \\__/\___
                                (*)    o        (*)     * o
                             Lightning P-38      DeFelice

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Wolinetz)
Date: 12 Jan 95 13:10:20 -0500

: Even better, does anyone know of a product that comes in a 16" dia.
: uncoated steel drum?  A quarter drum that grease comes in is only 14" dia.

Get your hands on the business to business yellow pages and look for
suppliers of steel drums/barrels.  I got a 12 gal drum for ~$5 and it was
clean,and unused.  This guy had barrels and drums of all sizes and seemed
glad to sell me just one.

I havn't tried it, but I have heard that muratic acid will remove most of
the Galvanizing prior to welding.  Still, be sure to do it outdoors. I have
heard that some things are still cadmium plated. (not good to breathe, etc)

Good luck

Barry 
--

Barry Wolinetz                       My opinions, Only!  I would not
The Northern Trust Co                claim to speak for my employer in 
Chicago, Il                          most matters discussed here!

Give some kid(s) a break, Be a Foster Parent!