Subject: Re: Clear Finishes For Mild Steel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 14:02:21 PDT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
<[email-masked]> writes:
> I am Looking for a clear spray or paint on finish for low carbon steel.
> A finish which prevents rust is essential, Non toxic is preferable. 
> 
> The metal work is sculptural but often functional, so the finish must be 
> resillient to general wear and tear of modern living! 

I think that any finish that prevents water and air from contacting the surface 
will 'prevent' rust.  Are these items going to have a polished surface?  Some 
options that come to mind include plating (chrome or nickel) or clearcoating 
with either laquer or one of the automotive urethanes.  If the parts aren't too 
large (smaller that a car) you might try PPG's NCT Clear.  It is dry enough to 
not hold dust within about 10 min. and is a urethane finish without 
isocynate-type catalysts.  If you get a run or something you can sand it out 
with 1000/1500/2000 grit wet sandpaper and polish the clear.

Let us know what works out for you...

Joe

---

From: Bruce Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 12:34:37 -0500

> A finish which prevents rust is essential, Non toxic is preferable. 

In a number of interior furniture applications I have have good luck
with a light coat, (put it on wipe it off) of light machine oil. This
works for about 3 months when the application must be repeated. It also
gives a rich color to the mill finish mild steel.

Bruce

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 27 Nov 1994 19:13:56 GMT

>gives a rich color to the mill finish mild steel.

I've also tried Thompson's water seal which seems to hold out pretty 
good on steel kept outside.  I have no idea how good an idea this is.

Mike Rehmus

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Stanton, Industrial Design & Visualization)
Date: 30 Nov 94 14:42:54 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Cris Sinnott) writes:
> A method for spraying resins? to achieve a deep finish is desirable. 

Here's yet another suggestion...

The Eastwood Company (auto restoration products) sells a product called Nyalic 
for protecting bare metal parts (especially polished metal).  The catalog 
description claims that it will not chip, crack, fade, or yellow.  It is also
heat resistant.  They have a technical support line 1-800-car-tec1.  (I've
never tried it myself).