Subject: Re: Setting up a shaper

From: [email-masked] (William F. Kaiser)
Date: 21 Nov 1994 18:29:08 GMT

Clive Washington ([email-masked]) wrote:
> A while ago we had a thread about setting up a mill; One point
> which I and others commented on was that it's NOT a good idea to
> try to recut a damaged mill table by flycutting.

> Now, however, I'm rebuilding a shaper (an Alba 1A), and the table is
> a bit worn.  I'm very tempted to recut the table using the machine
> in the obvious way.  I've heard of this being done but I'm still
> a bit wary.  But the shaper is however designed to cut accurate flat
> surfaces.

I rebuilt a shaper a few years ago, and did dress the top of the table 
with the shaper itself.  I was told mine came out of a school shop; it 
looked like no one had ever bothered to clean the table off before 
bolting the vise down; they just clamped it down on top of the chips.

I didn't have any problems with dressing the table.  I don't recall how 
much I took off the top, but enough to get rid of the small dents and 
leave a few of the deeper ones.

I used a tool that was almost flat on the end, but with a very gentle 
curve to it.  I used a light cut with a heavy cross feed.

> Has anyone done this, or have any recommendations?  While you're 
> about it, I would appreciate any tips on setting up and operating
> shapers, since I've never used one before now.

I hadn't used one, either.  Look for the old standard machine shop books 
that have a chapter on shapers.  Some information on planers is sometimes 
helpful, too.  I think the Model Engineer people had a book on shapers 
and planers; I don't know if it's still in print.

Basically, the tool goes in and out, and the table moves from side to 
side underneath.  This action makes a flat surface.  Squaring a piece of 
stock mostly involves doing the faces in the right order, which is the 
same as is done on a milling machine.  You can cut keyways, curved 
surfaces, and other neat things on the shaper.  Some of these are covered 
in books, and others may depend on your own creativity.

While a shaper is slow, it doesn't take much time.  Once you get set up 
and running, it pretty much does its thing without attention.  So, while 
it's working, you can do something else: clean up some of the mess, do a 
quick lathe job, think about the next steps in your project, etc.  I like 
the finish left by the shaper, too, none of the little swirlies left by 
an end mill.  An excellent tool for the sliding surfaces of a steam 
engine.  When the cutting tool gets dull, you sharpen it by hand on a 
grinder, not on a fancy, expensive, tool and cutter grinder.

--
Bill Kaiser
[email-masked]

There are three ways to do a job: good, cheap, and quick.
You can have any two.
A good, cheap job won't be quick.
A good, quick job won't be cheap.
A cheap, quick job won't be good.

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 21 Nov 1994 17:38:51 -0800

>and planers; I don't know if it's still in print.

Try "Shaping Machine & Lathe Tools" by Ian Bradley.  Published by Argus, 
the "Model Engineer" magazine people. My edition is from 1976 and the 
first publication date was 1949.  ISBN 0-85242-485-X.  There are other 
books on the subject but I don't know the titles.  Bradley's book should 
be easily found in England from one of the model engineering booksellers 
such as The Tool Box, Colyton, Devon Tel 0297 552868

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (David MacMillan)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 22:41:07 GMT

: Clive Washington ([email-masked]) wrote:
: > Has anyone done this, or have any recommendations?  While you're 
: > about it, I would appreciate any tips on setting up and operating
: > shapers, since I've never used one before now.

I've never used one either, so I know not whereof I speak - but I 
noticed in my latest Lindsey catalog the following two books:

Stieri, Emanuele.  _Shapers_.  1943  4.75"x7" paperback, 180pp,  $8.95
(catalog #21460)

Barritt, J.W.  _Shaper Operations_.  1937.  8.5"x11" paperback, 55pp,
$7.95  (catalog #21036)

Colvin, Fred H.  _Planing, Shaping, & Slotting_.  1943.  4.25"x7" paperback,
128pp, $9.95  (catlog #4988)

Lindsey Publications
P.O. Box 538
Bradley, IL  60915
(815) 935-5353
(815) 935-5477 FAX

Standard disclaimers:  I've never used a shaper; I've never seen these
books.  This isn't an endorsement, just information.

Hope it's useful

David M. MacMillan
[email-masked]