Subject: Is anyone casting iron out there??

From: [email-masked] (Ixthos)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 17:38:14 -0500

HI;

 Is there anyone who is castin and melting iron or steel in this group?
 I'm currently casting bronze and aluminum. Id like to try iron but need to
 figure out how to get my furnace hot enough. I'm using an oil burner 
>from  an old furnace which I run on diesel fuel it gets hot enough to melt 
copper 2000 +f but I need to get up around 3000 f. I wonder if i can use
 some kind of a heat exchanger to recap some of the heat to heat the 
incoming air or mayube just enrich the air inlet with Oxygen. Does anyone
 have any ideas...

   Thanks;
   C.W. Thomas

   PS How about a plan for an induction furnace maybe using hexfets and
       copper tubing?? or a welder to heat the mix with carbon arc..

---

From: [email-masked] (Toby Rockwell)
Date: 2 Dec 1994 07:57:09 -0500

Don't forget your cobalt goggles.

--
******************************************************************
*  Toby Rockwell                 |      [email-masked]        *
*  203-229-3333                  +      [email-masked]       *
*  FAX: 203-635-6473             V      Kensington, CT  06037    *
*****-------+------->        terrapin      <---------+--------****