Subject: Seeking advice on sculptures

From: [email-masked] (Randy Winney)
Date: 6 Oct 1994 15:40:54 GMT

A neighbor of mine bought some very nice metal sculptures covered
with lights that are Christmas yard decorations. The price was rather
high so I thought I might try making one.

The sculptures are made from rebar that is bent into various shapes
and welded or brazed (I'm not sure which).

Questions:
1. Would it be better to weld or braze the rebar together?
2. What type of rig do I need - an arc welder or an oxygen/acytelene rig?
   As I would be doing/storing this in my garage, I'm wondering about
   the fire/explosion hazards involved with a gas rig.

-- 
Randy Winney       [email-masked]
Mobil Exploration & Producing Technology Center
Dallas, Texas

---

From: [email-masked] (SteveR7678)
Date: 6 Oct 1994 17:38:02 -0400

In article <3715q6$rlo@dlsn31>, [email-masked] (Randy
Winney) writes:

>2.  What type of rig do I need - and arc welder or an oxygen/acytelene?

Either type will do.  Rebar is mild steel and welds quite easily.  You
might consider arc though only because of the cost factor.  You can
usually rent these quite easily.  Even if you buy, if you go oxy/acytelene
you have to worry about a gas supplier, a storage cart for safety reasons
etc.  You can buy a small "buzz" box for the price of just the gas
regulators.  In addition, it sounds like you do not have any welding
experience and you will find that arc is easier to get a joint to stick,
while not certification quality, but functional much easier than gas.

>I'm wondering about the fire/explosion hazards involved with a gas rig.

They both have their hazards when using so as not to catch surrounding
material on fire.  Just be sure that with either method there is not an
accumulation of flammable materials in the immediate area.  Use the same
precautions you would with storing flammable liquids in an area containing
a hot water heater and you will be alright.  You do need to consider the
storage hazard, especially if you have children.  The tanks must be
secured so that they cannot fall.  If the valve is broken off the tank in
an accident a tank can take off like a rocket and this includes going
through walls and out the other side of the house.  Other than than as
long as you ensure the globe valves are closed and the pressure bled off
the regulator and hose, and the hoses are in good condition, there is not
really any inherent danger.  Good luck, I have seen those sculptures
before and I like them also.  I hope it works out for you.

Steve Root sends

---

From: [email-masked] (R.C. Jones)
Date: 7 Oct 94 18:44:25 GMT

Can anyone describe one of these sculptures; they sound interesting.
-- 
  |___________________________________________________________________| 
>>| Dik Jones, Earth Model Interpretation   Internet: [email-masked] |
  | Chevron Petroleum Technology Company.        Tel:  (310) 694-7056 | 
  | La Habra, California 90633-0446              Fax:  (310) 694-7063 |

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Rezsutek)
Date: 07 Oct 1994 14:06:14 GMT

[email-masked] (SteveR7678) writes:

On the other hand, rebar can be a pain in the butt to cut if you have
any amount to do.  If you have an O-A setup, you can just burn it off,
and clean up the ends with a grinder.  You would most likely want to
clean your joints with a grinder whichever route you took, so I'd say
the cost of the grinder (~$80) is constant.  My cart cost only $50, and
I paid $280 for a good torch setup. [My first rig cost only $120, but
I swapped up to bigger regulators for better control of small flames,
and the new body has a wider range of tip sizes.]

It [O-A] also gives you the option of brazing, and if you're like me,
once you get going, you will always be on the lookout for something
that "needs to be welded/brazed/cut".  It's that much fun... ;-)

Steve
-- 
---
Steven Rezsutek			      [email-masked]
Nyma / NASA GSFC 	
Code 735.2			      Vox: +1 301 286 0897
Greenbelt, MD 20771

---

From: [email-masked] (Randy Winney)
Date: 7 Oct 1994 21:18:28 GMT

> Can anyone describe one of these sculptures; they sound interesting.

The ones my neighbor has are all Christmas decorations, but there are
many other possibilities. The rebar is bent into various shapes, welded/
brazed, & painted black. Small Xmas light strings are attached to the rebar
with cable ties. These are not the tiny lights that Kmart sells, but are
larger and more substantial. The lights are placed one against the next
so that they are continuous - this really makes it beautiful at night.
Of course, the colors of the bulbs are whatever is appropriate for that
part of the figure.

My neighbor has been collecting them for several years and has a Santa
climbing into the chimney (which he mounts on his chimney), toy soldiers,
Santa in sleigh with reindeer, a big "Merry Christmas", etc. So many people
drive by to look at them that it causes gridlock in our neighborhood at
night.

Prices start at about $200 for a small wreath - that's why I would like
to learn how to make my own, plus it will give me an excuse to buy a
welding rig!
-- 
Randy Winney       [email-masked]
Mobil Exploration & Producing Technology Center
Dallas, Texas

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 7 Oct 94 19:35:06 CDT

Randy Winney) Asked about welding rebar and asked...
:    >2.  What type of rig do I need - and arc welder or an oxygen/acytelene?

[email-masked] (SteveR7678) replied...
:    Either type will do.  Rebar is mild steel and welds quite easily...

Well, kinda. It depends where you got your rebar from. I worked with some
recently that was being used for it's intended purpose and it was hideous
stuff to work; I suspect it was made out of old engine blocks - it wiped the
teeth off a saw as fast as you could say "gosh, this stuff it hard" (or
similar) - I retrieved my chopsaw from home and that did very nicely. It
was also *really* horrible stuff to weld, as you might imagine.

The other thing to consider is that if you need to heat the rebar up to make
bending it easier you'll find it much easier to do that with O-A than a
buzz box or MIG. Generally O-A can do more things. It may not be as good as
some and may not be able to do some others, but as an "all purpose tool" it's
hard to beat... IMHO.

Any worthwhile supplier of welding equipment (Yellow Pages works here) will
probably be able to supply a small setup with easily portable tanks for a
reasonable amount of money...

We have been down this path before, of course.

Tim
--
Tim Kirby _________ Cray Research Inc., Eagan, MN, USA __________ [email-masked]
Software Division              System Support                +1-(612)-683-5390
__________________________ Consider it disclaimed ____________________________
If all else fails, Immortality may always be assured by spectacular error(JKG)