Subject: Re: Where can I buy real gold?

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 23:21:15 GMT

[email-masked] writes:
>by [email-masked] (Edward D Schernau):
>> I'd like to buy some gold to do some casting with...  Any sources?
>> Can I get _real_ gold??
>
>- Jewellers, especially dealers in 2nd-hand rings, etc.  They might sell you
>mis-shapen items for melting down, for just the value of the gold.
>- Manufacturers of rings, etc.  Probably sell you "new" gold, at a price.
>- Dental workshops.  As above.
>- Craft suppliers (ask on rec.crafts).  Probably at inflated prices!

Try a precious metal dealer in your area.  Many of these companies 
take scrap PC boards, chips, catalytic converters, etc, and extract
precious metals and sell them at close to street price for the day. 

I can get a contact for you in the SF bay area, if you request it.
We've obtained target material (gold included) and cast or machined
our own targets (for semiconductor thin-film processing). It was harder
than expected to cast gold into the shape (cylinder) we needed.

-Eric