Subject: Die Forming Info Sought

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 07:58:19 PDT

Hi all,

Appologies up front if this is too off-subject.

I am interested in small production runs of parts.  The first item I have in 
mind is a fuel tank, probably made in two parts.  Each would be an eliptically 
shaped bowl, perhaps 18 inches long and 6 inches deep.  A left and right bowl 
would weld together to form the complete unit.  I'm looking at a total 
production of no more than 500 complete units.  200 is a more likely maximum.

My first thoughts are that with some sort of composite tooling and a simple 
hydralic press I could press form these from Aluminum.  Anybody have any 
experience in this area?

I am leaning toward 3003 Aluminum, perhaps .050 or .063 thick, in either 
quarter or half hard condition.  What are my options for the dies?  I've heard 
of Kirksite, which I think is a Zinc alloy, but I don't have any idea where to 
get it or if it is appropriate.  What about tool plactics?  How much pressure 
will I need?  Can anybody recomend a decent book on the subject?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Joe