Subject: Re: Another auction report

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 02:16:14 GMT

[email-masked] (J. Kimberlin) writes:

>In article <[email-masked]> "Vance R. Bass" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>[email-masked] (Paul Amaranth) wrote:
>>>
>>> I like to go to auctions occasionally and I think these results
>>> are interesting.  ...
>>> This was a small  pattern shop, so most of the equipment was woodworking
>>> stuff.  
>>
>>	One of the things I have lusted after (and lookin in vain for
>>for years) is a pattern itself.  In particular, I'd like a large
>>gear or flywheel pattern, maybe three or four feet diameter.
>>
>>	Do any of you ever see such things?  Where could I find one?

>Seems like I have seen such things at the Historic Knight Foundry in 
>California's Mother Lode.  But why not just make one?  Wood, wax, 
>shellac, and idea, and time is what you need.  Knight Foundry made 
>turbine wheels in competition with Pelton.

>You might try the PR Office of a large foundry.  I worked at Link-Belt 
>Ewert Plant in Indianapolis and we had hundreds of patterns.  Most were 
>simply archived in case they were needed.  But it could be that a larger 
>foundry operation would chuckle and sell you something they were going to 
>toss eventually.  It is called good will.

>JerryK

Just an aside.  Here in Pasadena, CA the Pasadena power co. is now all
steam turbines.  They used to be all Corless.  The old flywheels are now
the parking lot walls....

-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 6 Feb 1995 18:44:15 -0800

>the parking lot walls....

Sugar mills in Africa and Indonesia are still Corless.  Those 20' 
flywheels and clacking valves are fascinating to watch.  Any these left 
in Hawaii?

JerryK