Subject: Knife steel sources?

From: [email-masked] (Lewis Funk)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 18:02:38 GMT

I need some sources of small quantities of knife steel...Anybody?  In
Denver nobody seems interested unless I order 1K pounds or more, and I need
about .5 foot square...

Also-please recommend a good stainless or stain-resistant steel that is
workable by amateurs and makes a decent blade.  I think Cold Steel uses a
stainless called ATS-34, to drop a name.

BTW I think rec.knives is a good idea, I'll subscribe...

-- 
Lewis Funk              "... It's a medieval torture device.  Try it on."
OLD: "America, the Land of the Free"
NEW:  amerika: "Your papers are NOT in order..."
SHAKESPEAR WAS RIGHT ABOUT LAWYERS.

---

From: [email-masked] (Fred Rehhausser)
Date: 15 Sep 1994 17:47:31 GMT

Lewis Funk ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I need some sources of small quantities of knife steel...Anybody?  In
: Denver nobody seems interested unless I order 1K pounds or more, and I need
: about .5 foot square...

: Also-please recommend a good stainless or stain-resistant steel that is
: workable by amateurs and makes a decent blade.  I think Cold Steel uses a
: stainless called ATS-34, to drop a name..

Try Type 440-A Stainless. It's commonly used in cutlery. 440-B, and 440-C 
are versions of this alloy with higher carbon levels and consequently 
higher hardenability and lower corrosion resistance. As a source, try 
Carpenter Technology 1-800-654-6543. They will sell small lots of 
in-stock sizes. The 1000+ lb. quantities are usually if it needs to be 
specially made.

---

From: [email-masked] (Walter K. Stockwell)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 00:14:34 GMT

Try picking up a knife magazine.  They have ads for knifemaking
supply places.  Most of these will sell stock by the foot, and
carry lots of choices of steel.

sorry i don't have phone numbers for you, my junk is at home. :)

-- 
That bird was my bird --	__
	or some vile copy.     {^^}              Walter Stockwell
				\ \              [email-masked]
				{  -}

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 15:53:15 GMT

> Denver nobody seems interested unless I order 1K pounds or more, and I need

Mail order is a good way;

Blades and Stuff - O1, 440C, ATS-34
(818) 956-5110

Jantz Supply - 1095, O1, A2, D2, 440C
(800) 351-8900

Admiral Steel - 10 series, 5160, O1, A2, 440A, 440C, ATS34
(800) 323-7055

For reference on price (Jantz) an 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 18" bar
Precision Ground (PG) or Flat Stock (FS):

A2 (PG) --- $14
O1 (PG) --- $9
1095 (FS) - $3.50
440C (FS) - $7.50

> stainless called ATS-34, to drop a name.

Stainless Steels

440C - probably the most popular of the stainless steels for knife making.
Cuts fast on the grinder but also gets hot fast. Will hold a decent edge 
and is one of the most stain resistant (prefered over 440A and 440B). A 
sub zero process after heat treating can add a significant amount of 
toughness to the steel.

ATS-34 - A Japanese stainless similar to 154CM (which is now hard to get).
In production it is harder to work than 440C but produces a blade with
superior hardness and toughness.

Other stainless steels in use but not as common 440A, 440B, 420 and AEBL.

Hope this helps.

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Burnard)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 17:12:46 GMT

> BTW I think rec.knives is a good idea, I'll subscribe...

Pick up a copy of any of the standard knife magazines, Blade, Knives
Illustrated, Fighting Knives at your local newsstand. They will list
several
suppliers.

I have catalogs from Koval, Sheffield, Blades 'n' Stuff, Jantz, True Grit,
etc. that all carry ATS34 and 440C stainless in knife sized 18" or 36"
lengths.

Sorry but I don't have the addresses at work...

Enjoy,

Dave B