Subject: Re: What are JOBBER drill bits?

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 16 Dec 1994 14:11:01 GMT

>From  article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Bill Webster):
> I've bought/used lots of different drills and I keep seeing
> advertisements for Jobber Drill Bits.  Is this a brand name
> or a certain quality of HSS drill bits?
> 
> Just wondering.

Jobber drill bits are just the boring, everyday ones used for ordinary
work.  Average length, average clearance, average end angles, average spiral
flutes, average... well, I'm sure you get the idea!  Occasionally they may
be shorter than usual but normally, unless you ask for something special,
you'll get a jobber drill bit.

-- 
David Jenkins						Not long now...
--------------------------%<-------------------------------------------
	 Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.
			Terry Pratchett --- Small Gods.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Webster)
Date: 16 Dec 1994 13:20:12 GMT

Just wondering.

Bill Webster ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Nye)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 22:51:32 GMT

>or a certain quality of HSS drill bits?

My understanding is that Jobber means standard length.  There are also screw-
machine bits which are short and aircraft bits which are long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Nye                            "Duct Tape: The handyman's secret weapon"
University of Waterloo                          - Steve Smith, aka Red Green