Subject: Re: Sealing a copper surface

From: Bob Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 1994 05:51:17 GMT

On a risky whim I just got 50 square feet of surplus 1/8" 
copper plate, labeled "Hussey copper alloy - AC brass".  It 
looks like a fairly pure copper though.  The intended application 
is for a rustic kitchen counter surface.  (Planning to make the 
sink and faucet as well...)

I expect the usual steady-state oxidation process, but am 
wondering if it is possible to either (a) "seal" the surface
with something durable that would actually stick to it and 
preserve the bright copper color, or perhaps more likely, (b) do 
something analagous to anodizing, to accelerate and stabilize 
the usual copper-green entropy state with something more 
controlled and less likely to rub off on items placed
on the surface.

Any tips, or pointers to book sources, much appreciated.  Nothing
likely turned up in the library.  Saying that I'll regret even
thinking about this is one possible suggestion ...   This 
should be interesting if it works out.

Bob

---

From: osan
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 17:54:07 GMT

> sink and faucet as well...)

	First I will say that you sound as if you are nuts.  Sink?
	*FAUCET*?!  But if it makes you happy...
> controlled and less likely to rub off on items placed

	Several things, first, this is not going to be a user friendly
	surface.  Copper stinks up your hands something awful IMO.
	It tends to impart unpleasant flavor to food, which is why
	copper pots and pans are tim coated on the insides.  I don't 
	believe this will make a good surface for anything that
	will be used to prepare food, so be aware of this.
	
	Next, copper can be maintained in a shiny state without a
	covering if it is cleaned regularly and polished on occasion
	(every 2-3 months, maybe longer).  For a good example of
	this I refer you to Murphy's pub on 2nd Av, NYC.  Their bar
	is surfaced with solid copper sheet and is shiny bright with
	clear evidence of occasional noxon treatment.  OTOH, preparation
	of many food will cause rapid oxidation to occur.

	You could clear coat the surface with laquer, but this will not 
	stand up to kitchen ab/use.  You could clear coat with a heavy
	polyurethane, but then I ask "what's the point?"

	The only other solution I can think of is to patinate, which will
	give you a wonderful looking surface, but again this will not
	be friendly for people and food.

	If this is goin to be a counter for reading the paper on and maybe
	having Sunday morning coffee, then I suppose this iwl be OK.  I'm
	sure it will look beautifu, but if you intend on having constant
	contact, I'd bet that you will not find it as practical as you'd
	like it to be.  Personally, I get sick of copper-stink after a
	few hours of working with it.

	Please also remember that while it is not the most dangerous, it is
	still a heavy metal and I might ask myself if I really wanted so
	much intimate contact with it.  Just something to consider.
> should be interesting if it works out.
	This will be quite a job, in all liklihood.  Are you sure that you
	might not want to put the copper to some other use?  Not trying to 
	discourage you, but I would really think hard about this application
	of your time and energies.

	-Andy V.	[email-masked]		(Mr. X)

	"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who damage me."

						-Archilochus, 650 BC