Subject: What Does 16 Gauge Mean

From: [email-masked] (Gary Hubert)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 94 22:24:00 -0400

> In article <[email-masked]>
>            [email-masked] "Clive Washington" writes:

>Can anyone clarify the use of gauges in the U.S.?

There are several gauges applied to varying types of metals. It can be
very confusing trying to sort it all out. I've taught this at the local
college for about 15 yrs. Below is a sample of thicknesses for 10g. Sorry,
I took this from my notes and don't have the charts for 16g handy.

American Standard or Browne & Sharpe - .1019"
Manufacturers Standard               - .1345
Birmingham Wire Gauge                - .134
United States Standard               - .14062
Galvanized Gauge                     - .1328

It seems that most (but by no means all) suppliers (not manufacturers)
tend to use USS as the standard for most materials. Aluminum and S/S are
the most common exceptions. For anything that really matters, be sure to
specify a decimal thickness.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Inet:[email-masked] <> AOL:GaryHubert <> CIS:76436,1215 |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

 -> Alice4Mac 2.4.4 E QWK Mail 16Sep94

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 26 Sep 94 14:27:14 MDT

Paul Hayes asks about getting sheet metal gages into the FAQ.  I've been
watching the discussion, and getting this into the FAQ is next on my list.

Jim, the FAQ maintainer.