Subject: Dave Gingery's Lathe

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: 28 Dec 94 14:37:48 CST

Has anybody built Dave Gingery's Lathe?

What can you tell us about the experience?

Does it work?

---
	-David  [email-masked]

-- 
	-David  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 00:58:47 GMT

>	-David  [email-masked]

Yes.  I have built the Gingery lathe, four jaw chuck, two jaw chuck,
charcoal foundry, and a few extras.

The Gingery design works but I have made several modifications to mine.
I have fabricated a new compound tool rest from steel rather than the casting
in the book.  I redesigned the cross-slide casting to make it sturdier.
Some of the techniques that he suggests are not very accurate.  In fact I
feel anyone starting one of his projects should have a micrometer and a
good dial indicator with a magnetic base before you start.  Also get a decent
layout block first.  These things will save you *LOTS* of time over the
project.  In spite of the above, if you follow his directions exactly you will 
end up with a precision machine.  My lathe turns a taper of .0003 over
8.5" of travel.  
I changed his original design to use 5/16 steel for the bed ways rather than
1/4".  I bought flat ground steel for the ways, too.  I used a 1/2 - 10 ACME
rod for the leadscrew (This makes calculations easier but it sure takes a
lot of extra work when computing the change gears first time through.)

When I started all this, I only had Jr. High School memories of foundry work
and machine operations.  My first model steam engine is ready to test run.

If you are in a hurry, don't even try.  These projects are for people willing
to devote a *LOT* of time and a little money towards a project.  My lathe with
all accessories -- 1/2" drilling chuck, 3 jaw chuck, Starret dial indicator,
Brown & Sharpe machinists square, boring bar, tools, etc.  cost me about 
$500.00 but I have over a year tied up in the project.  Granted, I've been
using the lathe to improve the lathe so it is not a year to completion, just
to where I am now.  I just added a graduated wheel to the cross-slide to
give me micrometer adjustments on cutting... little things like that.
-- 
    - Barry Workman