Subject: CNC, Milling Refernce and info. Wanted

From: [email-masked] (Jerome)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 08:26:46 GMT

Is there anyone out there who can recommend for me a few books that I can 
check on that would provide INTERMEDIATE level help and advice on the CNC 
milling  process. I have just strated working for a company that uses 
MasterCAM to lay out designs and they use MIlltronics milling machines to 
execute those designs. They want me to learn, and I am at somewhat a slow 
pace. My employers really don't have the time to show me how, despite my 
questions and staying afterhours etc, so I am looking for things to read up 
upon that I might begin to understand this whole CNC thing in more detail.

To elucidate at what level I am now, I can easily understand and follow that 
MasterCAM program, although I have much to cover and learn from pratice and 
application, but the Numerical format that CNC uses is ABSOLUTELY BEYOND ME. 
For that I am much the novice.

Any tips hints or suggestions welcome.

Jerome

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 08:44:49 -0800

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Jerome) writes:
>milling  process.

All of the books are expensive, however, one stands out as exceptional 
IMHO.  This is:  Computer Numerical Control: Essentials in Programming 
and Networking, by Lin.  Published by Delmar Publishers, Inc. 3 Columbia 
Circle, P. O. Box 15015, Albany, NY 12212-5015. (800-347-7707).  This is 
a textbook for a 2 semester course.  It assumes you know nothing and 
takes you through the whole thing including G, N, APT...2D, 3D, CNC 
networking, the math, etc.  I don't remember the exact price but it is 
over $50 and less than $70.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Frisbie)
Date: 11 Jan 95 15:59:04 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] (Jerome) writes:

> milling  process. I have just started working for a company that uses 
> MasterCAM to lay out designs and they use Milltronics milling machines to 
> execute those designs. 

> I can easily understand and follow the
> MasterCAM program, although I have much to cover and learn from practice and 

>From  what I have seen, there are *no* really good CNC books.
The Mastercam manuals, in particular, are poor for learning
(but are OK as reference material).

The best book I have seen (but still poor, in my opinion)
is "Programming of Computer Numerically Controlled Machines"
by John Polywka and Stanley Gabrel.   It is published by
Industrial Press Inc., 200 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016.

This book's main fault is assuming the use of a particular
machine (without telling you which one) and giving the
impression that all machines are the same.   'Taint so!
Every machine has unique features that are not part of the
"standard", and are lacking features that many others have.

Whatever book you buy, the best information source for you
is the Milltronics programming manual.   Use Mastercam to
create a simple NC program for the Milltronics, then print
it out.   Use the Milltronics manual to help you decode every
line of code.   This "disassembly" process, I have found,
is the fastest way to learn a new machine's language, be it
a computer or a milling machine.

I have been doing NC programming for about three years,
starting with "raw" G-codes.   Once I learned how to do
it by hand, I started using Mastercam (v3.21).   I now
use both v4.01 and v5.0, depending on which bugs/features
I am trying to avoid/use.   The mills I use are a Bridgeport
retrofitted with a Bandit controller (at the local college)
and my own Bridgeport CNC-I/BOSS-5.

I will be happy to give you (or anyone) any help or advice
on these programs/machines.   Just e-mail or call.

--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 02:52:20 GMT

>Any tips hints or suggestions welcome.

STrongly suggest you look up a Junior/Community College (hopefully 
local) that offers courses on NC.  Unless you have a background in 
computers (sounds like you don't) the terminology alone is enough to 
drive you nuts.  And the available books either assume you want to start 
at the binary number level or they talk way over one's head.  The 
problem with books teaching one how to machine anything is that you miss 
the, what I call "One liners" that the experienced instructor throws out 
as a matter of course.  Those helpful hints make all the difference in 
the world in your success.

If you can get to DeAnza College in Cupertino, California, they have a 
super program.

Best,
Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 23:07:25 GMT

>Any tips hints or suggestions welcome.

You might look at the course that Reid Tool Supply Company ahs.  They 
have books and videos on the subject.  Under $200 for the book course.  
Under $300 for the video tapes.  No idea how good they are.

As a bonus, they are offering CAD libraries of their components.

Reid Tool Supply  800 253-0421

Best,

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (William E. Lee)
Date: 17 Jan 1995 17:46:09 GMT

> Any tips hints or suggestions welcome.

All of the CNC programming I have done was on a Milltronics machine. It
was all very intimidating in the beginning. The Milltronics manual we got
with the machine provided as much confusion and frustration as help at
first. I never did find any books that were written in a way that you take
the book in one hand and the keyboard in the other and get anywhere. I did
buy a copy of, "Computer Numerical Control of Machine Tools", G.E. Thyer,
Pub. by B.H. Newnes, that was of some help in learning about G and N
codes. One problem is knowing something about DOS, or what ever OS, that
the controller uses. If you don't have much experience with computers,
simple tasks like file transfer and editing can drive one crazy until
mastered. The suggestion that you find someplace to get some structured
training has some merit if you just can't seem to get started. If you can
actually get the machine do to something, my advise is just to spend as
much time as they will let you writing and running jobs. I started by
glueing scrap plastic together and making "parts". After you get some
confidence, you will be pretty "turned-on" by what can be done with one of
these machines. Good luck!!!