Subject: Re: Insulation material for a propane forge. HELP!

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 21:38:02 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
Andy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does anyone know ANYTHING about ceramic fibre(?) insulation material
> for home-building a propane forge.  Speciffically, (?) what is it
> called, where does he get it, how much might it be AND.....
> 
> Is it available in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!
> 
> Plus, does anyone have any plans for said type of forge.

There are many brand names.  One is "Kao-Wool".  It is available here
at a local ceramic supply company for about $10 a linear foot.  The
roll is 18" wide.  It is also available from a local company that sells
high temperature insulation for furnaces.  They only sell full rolls,
however.

Your friend should contact BABA (British Artist Blacksmiths
Association) for a source in the UK.

--
Steve Hampson                           
Blue Sky Research
534 SW 3rd Ave
Portland, OR 97204
503-222-9571
503-222-1643 fax

---

From: [email-masked] (RPCoyle)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 23:11:21 -0500

I made a forge/melt furnace out of a couple of 8 inch stove pipe sections
clamped together to make a 12 inch diameter cylinder. I then lined the
bottom with fire brick and insulated the sides with 1 inch thick spun
alumina fiber. You should be able to get it from any ceramics supply. it's
known as f"fie blanket" here in the USA. I got mine from a company called
Westwood Ceramic Supply Co, 14400 Lomitas Ave, City of Industry, CA
91746-0305, USA.
I don't know if they are still arond but the same stuff is used
everywhere.. .

I use a forced air blower with the propane teed into a 1inch pipe. this
pipe goes  through a hole in the side of my home made forge( keep it
toward the bottom). I direct the flame so it spirals arond the inside and
up toward the top.The intensity of the flame is controlled by the amount
of air/gass through the pipe. the top is covered with four more fire
bricks so that the heat can only come out the center ( about 3 inces wide)
. I can develop enough heat to either melt brass and copper in a crucible
on the inside or bring iorn to yellow heat at the top. If I put the iorn
stock down into the furnace it gets almost  hot enough to weld. 

A five gallon propane tank last about two hours if I use it full on. I can
complete several small projects in that time if I rotate my stock in and
out of the forge correctly.

anyway good luck .... Bob Coyle  [email-masked]

---

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Feb 1995 15:45:20 GMT

For a friend:

Thank you in anticipation,

Andy Warner,

for Roger the blacksmith.

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 16:20:54 -0800

>called, where does he get it, how much might it be AND.....

I have some stuff called Manville Refractory Fiber which is a silica 
product good to well over 1000 Celsius.  The stuff I have is 24" wide
1 1/2" thick, and has 50 sq ft in the carton.  It is listed as density 6 
(whatever that means).  It cost me US$400 a few years ago and may be more 
expensive now.  I have a full carton and lesser amounts may cost more.  
Its Chemical Abstracts Service number is CAS# 65997-17-3.  That may let 
you look it up in some references.  Competing manufacturers' products 
will have the same CAS#.  Your librarian can help, especially one from a 
chemistry department library at a university.

>Is it available in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!

Manville has a presence everywhere, I would imagine.  The phone number I 
have for them is in Denver, CO  303-978-4900.  Their 800 number may 
not be good in the UK, but ---800-654-3103.  You could call and 
inquire about a local supplier.

Sorry I have no plans, but I'm sure someone on this newsgroup does.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] ("Simon Lukic")
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 21:40:47 GMT

I think I know someone in the UK who has such plans. As I remember, he 
charges around five pounds. Mail me if you are interested.

[email-masked]