Subject: Alluminum Casting?

From: [email-masked] (Chris Scott)
Date: 17 Dec 94 19:10:14 CDT

I am considering getting started in casting alluminum.

I have the tongs, "pot" petrobond & wooden thingy.

I am considering building a quasi-"brick pile" furnace,
but may be able to get a ceramic-type kiln pretty reasonable.

The data plate says "do not operate above 2000 degrees.

Would this be suitable for melting alluminum?

2nd Q: Are used pistons decent sources of surplus alluminum?

Signed,

Electrons for a living, moonlight in metal.

-- 
[email-masked]  Chief Engineer, Public Radio- Western KY U
                     Telco: (502) 745-3834  Hm & Fax: (502) 781-1232
...just another insignificant VAX user.        \\\//
                                               (o o)
--------------------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 17 Dec 1994 18:38:01 -0800

>2nd Q: Are used pistons decent sources of surplus alluminum?

Aluminum melts at a fairly low temp, lower than 2000.  Used pistons, if 
>from  the same manufacturer are quality controlled by alloy type and 
chemical composition.  Large pistons may have iron rings cast into them.  
Break up the pistons before melting and you will see the iron rings, if any.
Make sure you have enough pressure on your mold to ensure complete 
filling.  Aluminum is a light metal and needs a sprue height 3 times that 
of iron to fill most simple molds.

good luck
JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Mrwizard00)
Date: 18 Dec 1994 15:00:11 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Chris Scott) writes:

(1) Aluminum melts around 1250 degrees depending on alloy; 2000 degrees
would do it. (2) Pistons in my limited experience cast real nice (3)
Better read a good book or get a night class before you do this if you
aren't sure what you are doing.  Molten metal is real dangerous. Somehow a
"wooden thingey" doesn't inspire confidence.....:)

---

From: Rich Pelikan <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 DEC 94 09:22:44 CST

>2nd Q: Are used pistons decent sources of surplus alluminum?
The kiln would melt your aluminum and piston are a good source.
To use the aluminum you first should pig it out and degas it.
The kiln even though it will melt aluminum will take a considerable
amount of time.  The furnace is much faster and you can advance up to
bronze, brass, gold, and silver. Before you make any purchases do a
little reading on the subject.  Know what safety precaution to make and
what you should avoid.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Clark)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 00:07:00 GMT

>I am considering getting started in casting alluminum.
There is a company in Phoenix, Arizona that sells furnaces and casting
sand and all of the other items needed for casting aluminum and
cast iron. I'd look them up in the FAQ and consult.
I believe they are called
Pyramid Products.

*********************************************************
Feeling like a road kill on the Information Superhighway!
*********************************************************
[email-masked]               [email-masked]*
*********************************************************