Subject: Recommendation on 1/2" VSR

From: [email-masked] (Michael Shiloh)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 23:09:40 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 1/2" VSR drill and am seeking your comments. 
>From  what I've seen and heard, the Milwakee and the DeWalt models
seem like good choices. 

I eagerly await your expert advice.

Thanks,
Michael Shiloh
-- 
=================================================================
Michael Shiloh                  \ _/__        [email-masked]
TRW Financial Systems            \X  /        (510) 645-3085
Oakland, Ca                        \/

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Gaudio)
Date: 22 Jan 1995 07:57:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Kent Fitzgerald (GD 1994) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Michael Shiloh ([email-masked]) wrote:
>
>: I'm looking to buy a 1/2" VSR drill and am seeking your comments. 
>: From what I've seen and heard, the Milwakee and the DeWalt models
>: seem like good choices. 
>
>
>Milwaukee makes fine tools, but one drawback I've found on their Magnum
>Hole Shooter drills is that the trigger runs about halfway up the
>handgrip. Makes it difficult to hold the drill one-handed without pulling
>the trigger. I wonder if folks who own them find this to be a problem?

yeah, i've been told this, too. that's why i ordered mine with a
standard trigger!  works NICE. so well that for months i overlooked
that fact my 'borrowed' craftman 3/8" was still out (and still is, come
to think of it)

i say GET IT.

-steve.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:50:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> the trigger. I wonder if folks who own them find this to be a problem?

Strangely enough no. I wondered about it when I bought it but now I like
it. BTW the 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter is one powerful puppy, make sure you
have a good grip on it (that side handle is there for a reason :-).

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Shiloh)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 19:45:22 GMT

>>: seem like good choices. 

Hi, I'm the one who originally posted this message, and I've
appreciated all the responses. I thought I'd let you all know what
I did in the end, and why.

I chose the DeWalt, for two main reasons: (1) it felt much more
comfortable in my hand, and since I have some kind of RSI this
is a major concern to me and (2) the DeWalt is double insulated and
carries a two pronged plug, while the Milwaukee (found out that I've
been misspelling that!) requires a grounded outlet. I trust my 
outlets at home but as Consumer Reports pointed out there are a great
many miswired grounded outlets out in the world. In fact, they 
recommend using a GFI with the drill.

I thought this last point was interesting. What do people here think
of that? I think the Milwaukee was the only drill I saw that was
not double insulated.

By the way, I only discovered when I got home that DeWalt is a division
of Black and Decker, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the
one hand they've been around for awhile, but on the other hand I've
viewed Black and Decker as the Radio Shack of tools. Am I being
unfair to them?

Thanks for all your comments!
-- 
=================================================================
Michael Shiloh                  \ _/__        [email-masked]
TRW Financial Systems            \X  /        (510) 645-3085
Oakland, Ca                        \/