Subject: Surplus Places?

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 28 Nov 1994 06:13:03 GMT

Seattle area.... Advice wanted - there was a posting
a few months back about a great browsing place, metals,
machinery, etc.  Sorry I lost it... Know about BoeingSurplus,
wanna add a few more stops to the trip.  

Anyone help me please?
Thanks / Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 28 Nov 94 13:20:21 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mark Fraser) writes:
|>
|>Seattle area.... Advice wanted - there was a posting
|>a few months back about a great browsing place, metals,
|>machinery, etc.  Sorry I lost it... Know about BoeingSurplus,
|>wanna add a few more stops to the trip.  

The main place is probably Boeing surplus, but here's the original
article posted by Bob Powell --

-----------------------------------------

Area codes if not shown are 206.

Aronson Campbell Industrial Supply, 5300 Denver S., Seattle, 762-0700.
Open M-F.  Major Seattle metal & wood tool, tooling and accessories
dealer.  Full-line Delta + imports.  Shop supplies.  Huge inventory.
Industrial district about four miles south of the Kingdome.

Boeing Surplus Sales, 20651 - 84th Ave S. (East Valley Rd), Kent,
393-4060.  From I-405, take 167 to S. 212 St., right on 212th, right on
84th, Surplus is the next light.  Tues-Fri 10-5, Sat 9-4.  *Super*
source of surplus metal stock and tooling, especially aluminum, many
plastics, rubber, and 10,000 other wonderful weird shop items you can't
live without.  "Tool Crib" with wide range of lathe & milling cutters,
drill bits, taps et. al., some great bargains.  Occasional barrels of
HSS lathe bits and HSS drills for $1/lb.  New material every day.

Buckner-Weatherby, 5931 - 4th S., Seattle, 767-3620.  Industrial
woodworking equipment dealer.  Your source for a CNC table saw, should
you need one.

Crosscut Hardwoods, 4100 - 1st S., Seattle, 623-0334.  Top selection,
top quality, top dollar, wood supplier.

Eastside Saw Sales, 12880 Bel-Red Rd., Bellevue, 454-7627.  The
"eastside"'s only real tool store; full-line Delta, Jet etc., great
selection of blades, bits, abrasives, hand power tools; sharpening
service.  Not a metal tool dealer, but apparently will special-order
any Jet metalworking tool at a mail-order price.  Good prices on the
tools; great staff and friendly service.

Enco, 800-873-3626.  Tukwila WA store, 1000 Andover Park East,
206-575-2432.  Just north of Costco; south of Eagle Hardware.  Import
machine tools & accessories.  Many bargains, much garbage, some
hassle.  Dealing with the retail store is "OK".

Grizzly Imports, Bellingham WA, 800-541-5537.  Good value import
stationary metal & woodworking tools; limited accessories.  Their
showroom is worth the drive if you're in the NW; 90 minutes from
Seattle.  Only open M-F 8:30-5:00; be sure to call first to make sure
they'll be open the day you plan to visit, and that you'll be able to
see what you came for.

Hallidie Machinery, 2200 - 6th S., Seattle, 583-0600.  Couple of blocks
south-east of the Kingdome.  Seattle's major used machine tool dealer;
warehouse of hundreds of machines.

Hardwicks, 4214 Roosevelt Way NE, 632-1203.  New & Used wood & metal
tools, assorted surplus stuff.  In the U. District.

Home Depot, S 180. St., Tukwila.  My favorite of the local warehouse
stores; especially for tools, fasteners and electrical parts.

L.C. Kier Co., 23831 SE Tiger Mt. Rd, Issaquah.  392-6493.  New & used
machine tool, tooling & accessories supplier, in the rural zone south
of Issaquah.  Worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood, as my home is.

Pacific Industrial Supply, 2960 - 4th S., Seattle, 682-2100.  My
favorite salvage yard other than Boeing, top-dollar as it may be.
Great place for metal, materials handling, wheels, hydraulics,
fasteners et. al.  Big stuff; lots of marine equipment.

Pacific Irons Building Materials, 4th S., just north of Pacific
Industrial, 628-6256.  Surplus building materials; metal supply yard
out back.

Tool Town, 12700 NE 124 St., Kirkland, and other locations.  821-3007.
Jam-packed discount tool store, oriented to construction contractors,
but lots of auto & metal tools too.

West Coast Machine Tools, 20826 - 68th S. (West Valley Hwy), Kent,
244-3262.  Used machine tool warehouse, less small stuff than
Hallidie.  The place to go if you need a 9' swing x 49' c-c lathe
(that's feet -- no typo).

Woodcraft Supply, 5963 Corson S., Seattle, 767-6394.  Near the
intersection with Michigan, at the north end of Boeing Field.
Seattle's biggest home-shop woodworking store, huge selection of
Neanderthal tools, hand power tools, Shopsmith, full-line Delta, huge
selection of books & video, some lumber & veneer, instruction classes.
Nice store, top dollar.

Woodworker's Store, 3823 Stone Way N., Seattle, 634-3222.  Seattle's
other major home-shop woodworking store, near the U. District,
similar to Woodcraft but smaller.

---------------------------------

One other place was added by Edward Zeranski:

---------------------------------

Have you ever talked to Puget Sound Machine run by Don Peterson in Gualala
just north of Gig Harbor? Im not sure of the Gualala spelling but Ill put my
money on Don any day. Don rebuilds old cast iron machinery better than new and
is a straight up honest man. If you need a 6"jointer or a 42"shipsaw see Don
and tell him Ski from Ocean Beach sent you.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 08:33:45 PDT

Hey, neat list!

Can anybody supply a similar one for the San Francisco/San Jose area?  If not, 
I'd be happy to compile one if everyone would email their surrestions to me at 
[email-masked]

Thanks,
Joe

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Dingley)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 18:04:27 +0000

> article posted by Bob Powell --

[Big US list deleted]

Any Brits care to work on a similar list for the UK ?

I'd start with Graham in Birmingham (S/H / surplus machine tools), the
ubiquitous Proops, and Anchor Surplus in Ripley, Notts. (gov / mil surplus)

Who else has a favourite machinery dealer ?

-- 
Andy Dingley                             [email-masked]

No, I wasn't abducted by Space Aliens - I've been in the Mid-West for 
a few months and couldn't get decent net.access.