Subject: machining crankshafts

From: [email-masked] (david fisher)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 01:24:18 GMT

I am new to this newsgroup and also relativelly new to metal work,
althoug I have taken some high school shop courses and am going to
take a college course soon, so I hope I don't sound too ignorant on
this subject.

	Anyways, I am extremely interested in automotive engines and
am wondering if it is possible to make items like crankshafts and
connecting rods in home machine shops.  I realize that most big dollar
crankshafts are forged out of expensive steel alloys and that they are
non twist forgings.  What I was wondering is whether it is possible to
make a non twist forging in a home shop or is a press needed to form
the material.

	With concern to connecting rods a lot of the very expensive
ones are machined from expensive steel alloys.  I suspect that this
wouldn't be extremely hard to make but would still present some
problems.  If anyone had made anything like this or tried or can
answer any of these questions I would love a reply.  
Thanks in advance,
David

----------------------------------------------------------------------
david fisher
Carleton University

Email address: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------