Subject: Vertical Milling Machine Clones

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Nov 1994 18:34:01 GMT

I agree with those who feel an older mill is a better deal than 
an import.  I have a vertical and a horizontal mill, both 
Italian.  True they are imported, but they are more like a 
Bridgeport and are extremely accurate.  You need someone who 
knows what they are doing to look them over and make certain they 
aren't worn out, dial check the tables, spindle and that sort of 
thing.   Lots of them are well worn, but there are also lots that 
"never" get used and have years of use left on them.   I want 
nothing to do with Taiwan stuff and that's one reason I never go 
to Grizzley even though I could be there in 45 minutes.  Bought a 
woodworking vise from them once.  Lots of metal, but like swiss 
cheese so I returned it.   By the time I paid the shipping BOTH 
ways and their re-stocking charge, I had almost paid for the 
vise.   They have nothing in their place that I want in my shop 
at any price!          Carl Carlsen

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen