Subject: What makes a good anvil?

From: [email-masked] (Darrell Markewitz)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 14:36:59 GMT

Good set of advice on the last post!

Kill the ring by getting a large speaker magnet (trash day or a surplus
store) and clipping it on the back side or under the hardie end. the
magnet will rattle against the surface and cut out the ring.

The ring of the anvil should be high (measure of hardness) clear (means
no flaws or cracks) adn persistant. Make sure the anvil is reasting on a
wood surface - and conpare all anvils the same way.

150 lbs a good choice -

(SORRY GUYS)

In the 1850's they used to say "Don't buy an American anvil, buy
British" Look for Sheffield, and Peter Wright.

(SORRY GUYS)

ALWAYS buy the best quality anvil you can find - the cost will come back
in longetity and ease of work!

Darrell
the WAREHAM FORGE
Hamlet of Wareham
RR #2, Proton Stn
Ont, CDN -  N0C 1L0
(519) 923- 9219
[email-masked]