Subject: Re: Need advise on having woodplane surface ground

From: [email-masked] (Guy Burnham)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 00:30:14 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, Vince Miller ([email-masked]) wrote:
>I'm taking my grandfather's 22" jointer plane in tomorrow to a shop to have 
>it surface ground.  I would appriciate any advice on what I should specify. 
>What tolerances are reasonable? +\- .001?  What finish is reasonable to 
>expect?  (The smoother, the better).  I know what I want as a woodworker, 
>but I need to know the machine shop lingo, and what is considered reasonable 
>in that world.  I especially need to know any cautions that I should keep in 
>mind, since this guys never done this before..

You might want to ask this in rec.woodworking.  Patrick Leech(sp?)  is
quite the expert on planes.  Keep in mind that many jointer soles are
grooved to reduce sticking so a polished effect may not be what you are
looking for.

--
--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--
Guy Burnham, Advanced Laserjet Operations, Hewlett Packard Co. Inc.
[email-masked]     208(396-3355)

I WORK TO LIVE ... I LIVE FOR TRAINS, and OLD TRUCKS, and OLD TRACTORS and ..

Disclaimer: Don't you be the only one to take me seriously!  
--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--

---

From: [email-masked] (Vince Miller)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 19:08:24 GMT

The guy said $30-$40 for a 22"x3" plane sole.  This seems like a decent 
price.

Thanks,

Vince

---

From: [email-masked] (m.j.miller)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 14:52:09 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>The guy said $30-$40 for a 22"x3" plane sole.  This seems like a decent 
I think .001 seems like a minimum tolerance for a plane sole.  I recenty
bought a couple of new Record planes and the literature that came
with them indicated that they were flat to .0015 right from the
factory.  A good machine shop should be able to do better than .001.
As for smoothness, I guess the shop could show you example pieces
with different grades of smoothness.  Looking at my Enco catalog,
I see they sell a surface roughness gage which has ground and lapped
specimins that range from 2-500 micro inches.  Maybe you can see what
the plane's roughness currently is and ask them to improve on it
by some factor ( 2X? or 10X?, I don't know).  Or perhaps tell them
that you would like it as smooth as it would be if buffed with
jewelers rouge after being flattened.

Mark Miller

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Burlage)
Date: 21 Dec 1994 15:10:54 GMT

>What tolerances are reasonable? +\- .001?  What finish is reasonable to 

Make sure they grind it with the blade installed, it will flex slightly
when to blade is tightened, and if it is ground with it in place, it
will be flat when you use it.

-- 
"Onward through the fog"
                                          - Power-Hitter

[email-masked]