Subject: Re: A supplier who listens -- and responds

From: [email-masked] (Doug White)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 00:05:46 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Alan Frisbie) writes: 
<Comments on MSC's responsiveness to customers deleted>
>--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]

I'd just like to second this.  MSC (at no extra charge) gives me 1 day delivery
on anything I order before noon.  Of the 200 or so items I've ordered in the 
last few years, the only thing they didn't have in stock in New York was in 
stock in Georgia.  They left one item out of a large order, but were very
good about replacing it when I noticed 3 weeks later, even after I had pitched
the packing slip.  There catalog is an education in itself, and they have no 
problem placing special orders with their suppliers.  Unlike many companies
that refuse to deal with individuals, MSC immediately offered to set up an
account for me using my charge card.  All in all, they are the nicest outfit
I have dealt with in years.  Even though their prices are not necessarily
rock bottom, I will deal with them first on most purchases because I know it
will be in stock, and I can get it in a day.  The only stuff I ever sent back
for quality problems (some parallel clamps made in India) was accepted without
the slightest quibble.

Doug white

---

From: [email-masked] (John Morton)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 16:28:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Doug White <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I'd just like to second this.  

I will agree that MSC aims to please, and that a fat catalog is a real
treasure.  Just be prepared to check and return items which are of poor
quality, and MSC has _lots_ of those.  I have worked in a shop where
the boss always went to MSC first for everything, then to somewhere else
if they didn't have what he wanted.  This resulted in a generally low
average quality of tools and tooling in the shop.

I would particularly warn against the "Made in USA" stuff, which has
no brand names.

> ...

I have been getting some things out of the KBC catalog, and noticed that 
their Anglock vise clone ad says "Made Not in India" :-).

KBC carries Niagara cutters, which as far as I know is still a good brand.
I just got the first shipment of these, so I don't know yet, for sure..,.

John Morton					University of California
[email-masked]			Mechanical Engineering
{decvax,cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton		Machine Shop

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Rowe)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 10:20:12 -0400

here's my $.02, re: MSC.
I buy from them for myself and for my job and am totally satisfied.
Their speed is unmatched as I often get my order the next day,but pay
only for normal UPS ground delivery. The catalog is informative,
the monthly sales flyers contain good bargains, and they easily
handle returns and exchanges.
my opinions!all mine!      Charlie 
                          Charles Rowe,Instrument Maker/Electronics Analyst
                          Rutgers University, Chemistry Dept., Newark NJ
                          [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 18:50:34 GMT

>                          [email-masked]

Still waiting for my MSC caalog to arrive. :-(

However, the Rutland catalog showed up promptly.  I noticed in the faq
the opinion was good/reasonable prices, but anyone else care to comment.

I bought the LeBlond Lathe & Index Milling machines, so I need to order
enough to get started making some of my own tools... (scriber, dial
indicator jigs... etc).

Thanks,

Tom Walter				[email-masked]
Austin, TX.

P.S. Anyone have a manual/parts list for a LeBlond Regal (13" swing),
or Index 555 milling machine they could send me a copy of?

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 18:30:35 -0700

I've always found that Travers Tool provides excellent service too.  MSC 
is good but charges state tax in California.  I only buy mail order when 
my purchase amount indicates a state tax much larger than the shipping 
fee.  I like Rutland, sometimes Enco, plus local firms, but why pay 8%+ 
state tax if one can avoid it.