Subject: New Project

From: [email-masked] (Russ Kepler)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 00:41:21 GMT

Well, what with the new year and my promise to take *some* vacation
time I'm sort of on the path of looking for a new project (not like
I've not got plenty, but something to start planning, anyway).  

Looking around the garage it occurs to me that I have a lot of tools,
but no reliable way of sharpening them.  I've seen plans for
sharpening jigs and the like, but what I want is something a bit more
upscale.  I want a kit to build something like the Darex or Champ
system.

I'd like suggestions for something that can be ordered in stages and
in a kit system if there are castings involved.  If there is an
ability to select a performance level in the process than that would
be appreciated - I might want an air bearing in sharpening endmills or
to select the motor quality to the on-time I expect.

To add to the above unreasonable request, it would be really cool to
be able to build up a center that can sharpen anything I use - tap,
reamer, endmill, ballmill, lathe tools, etc.  If it takes a replacable
station and another $200 per setup I think I can live with that - the
time saved on sharpening carbide tools would be worth it (having just
spent 10 minutes fixing up a slightly chipped carbide lathe tool).  I
don't have *that* much room in the garage anymore, and might be able
to sneak another stand in some out-of-the-way place, but not too many
more.

So, if I haven't scared everyone off by now: suggestions?

-- 
Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

                      Please don't feed the Engineers

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 20:58:43

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Russ Kepler) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Russ Kepler)
>Subject: New Project
>Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 00:41:21 GMT

>                      Please don't feed the Engineers

The Quorn tool and cutter grinder is the premier device. It comes in a kit, 
>from  England, but there is also a US distrbutor I thik. It is a very universal 
machine- can sharpen just about any cutter you could imagine. 

There is a book from Argus Books about building it. 

A friend of mine has one, and had been building it for many years. 

One of its features is about 30 adjustment handles, that are all beautiful 
ball end handles. Would take about a year just to make all the balls and 
tapers! The idea is that it never requires a tool to set up a job, all the
adjustments are nice handles. If I built one I would eliminate the handles, 
and use all one size allen cap screw. Then just one T-handle tool would adjust 
eveything. 

Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 18:45:54 -0800

>and use all one size allen cap screw. Then just one T-handle tool would adjust 

The castings are available from 'Model Engineering Services'  Pipworth 
Farm, Pipworth Lane, Eckington, Sheffield, England  Phone 0246-433218.  
The Quorn was designed by Prof. Chaddock and was serialized in Model 
Engineer some years ago and followed by comments, changes, attachments, 
hints, etc.  They work well and you can sharpen or make about anything on 
them, even gear hobs.  But they are little.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (John Angus)
Date: 15 Jan 1995 03:20:09 GMT

Rus,

I havn't built one myself, but recently saw something like you describe
in a flyer from Guy Lutard called the "Tinker"

The short description is as follows:

The Tinker is a simple, practical, and compact Tool and Cutter Grinding
Jig that will sharpen end mills, slot drills, side and face milling cutters,
slitting saws, lathe toolbits, twist drills, reamers - in fact, just about
any cutter you'd find in a small machine shop, a gunsmiths shop, or a home
workshop.

It works with an existing bench grinder and castings are available for
$54.85 US; drawings for $32.50 US. Consists of 27 parts in all, most of
them very simple to make.

Address is

Guy Lutard
2570 Rosebery Avenue
West Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V7V 2Z9

I have no connection with Guy Lutard but would like to hear your results
if you build the thing.

Guy is the author of the Machinist's Bedside Reader series of books.

Cheers,

John

--
John Angus                    [email-masked]

Working with Windoze is sort of like playing "Chutes and Ladders"...
WITHOUT THE LADDERS!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: 15 Jan 1995 05:28:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Ron Ginger) writes:

> The Quorn tool and cutter grinder is the premier device. It comes in
> a kit, from England, but there is also a US distrbutor I think. It is
> a very universal machine- can sharpen just about any cutter you could
> imagine. 

The US distributor stopped importing the Quorn castings about 3 years
ago.  Does anyone know if there is another US source?

--
Steve Hampson                           
Blue Sky Research
534 SW 3rd Ave
Portland, OR 97204
503-222-9571
503-222-1643 fax

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 15 Jan 1995 07:16:54 GMT

Living in Vancouver, I've imposed myself on Guy Lautard several
times, and have recently gotten curious about the Tinker myself.
I'll make a point of dropping in on him have a look at one
[assuming he's got one, or the castings, at least] and report
back, if there's some support.

Anyone want me to do this?
Cheers / Mark

Steve Hampson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>
: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger) writes:

: > The Quorn tool and cutter grinder is the premier device. It comes in
: > a kit, from England, but there is also a US distrbutor I think. It is
: > a very universal machine- can sharpen just about any cutter you could
: > imagine. 

: The US distributor stopped importing the Quorn castings about 3 years
: ago.  Does anyone know if there is another US source?

: --
: Steve Hampson                           
: Blue Sky Research
: 534 SW 3rd Ave
: Portland, OR 97204
: 503-222-9571
: 503-222-1643 fax

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 02:31:46 GMT

>>upscale.  I want a kit to build something like the Darex or Champ

While not in the same league as the Quorn,  MetalWorking Book 2 from Projects
in Metal has plans for a small tool and cutter grinder.  As constructed it
weights around 50 pounds and occupies around a square foot of bench space.
No castings are involved but there is some welding required.

Looks like a nice project.  I'm such a klutz when it comes to sharpening
bits that I'm really tempted.  If I get that new lathe I'm lusting after,
maybe I'll get this one on the queue :-)
-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, Michigan  USA]
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html

---

From: [email-masked] (JerryRei)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 13:06:47 -0500

/Subject: Re: New Project
/From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
/Date: 15 Jan 1995 07:16:54 GMT
/Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

/Living in Vancouver, I've imposed myself on Guy Lautard several
/times, and have recently gotten curious about the Tinker myself.
/I'll make a point of dropping in on him have a look at one
/[assuming he's got one, or the castings, at least] and report
/back, if there's some support.

/Anyone want me to do this?
/Cheers / Mark

I've also been interested by the Tinker.  Please make the visit.

Jerry

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas Jr)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 19:05:23 GMT

Russ Kepler ([email-masked]) wrote:
	(SNIP)
: Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

:                       Please don't feed the Engineers

	--For the Quorn enthusiasts, here is a tip and a shortcut. Yes, 
those ball handles are many and a pain. Getcher Reid Tool Supply catalog 
out and look under "handles". they have them ready-made, as well as 
better ones that are "adjustable". These can be lifted slightly and 
re-positioned so that they always lock down in a position that is out of 
the way of whatever bit of work is being done. I must have more than half 
a doz. of these on my Quorn. 
	Phone # for Reids: 800-253-0421;
	FAX #		 : 800-438-1145.
	--Years ago when I made my Quorn I made a pattern for an 
over-sized holder that would accept R-8 collets, since the job of 
manufacturing the ones in the plans seemed pointless and they were rather 
small. I made several castings, based on the theory I'd screw a few up B4 
I machined one correctly. Spares are lingering in corners of my shop. 
E-Mail me if you'd like to work a deal.

"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------