Subject: BLACKSMITHING video

From: [email-masked] (Darrell Markewitz)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 14:24:02 GMT

Hello :

  I am offering a instructional video that will help the begining
blacksmith get started. There are not too many oppertunities to actually
watch  and learn from an experianced 'smith outside of museums, at a
time when interest in this skill is increasing.
  Although this may been seen as an 'advertisement', I feel the video
offers a way to show techniques that is not possible in any other way -
short of taking a course. I did consult with Jim Kirkpatrick before
attemping this posting.

  I am always happy to offer advice concerning blacksmithing, fine
castings, and historical metalwork technique (especially pattern
welding!)

thanks for your patience-  Darrell

*************************************************************

an Introduction to BLACKSMITHING
by Darrell Markewitz of the Wareham Forge

A 3 hour instructional VIDEO - $25.oo each (includes postage)

This video contains a wealth of information, including what to look for
in used tools, building a home shop, and demonstrations of a number of
basic forming techniques.

PART 1 - TOOLS     forges / lighting a fire / coal
              anvils / hammers / vices / safety

PART 2 - TECHNIQUES     'S' hooks / tent peg / fire poker
                   twists / toasting fork / home forge

    I have been working with forged steel, and producing historic
reproductions, since the late 70's. I started working with metal during
my four years at Ontario College of Art.  Five years at Black Creek
Pioneer Village, three as primary blacksmith, has led to a deep
understanding of historic styles and techniques. An area of personal
interest and study has been the early medieval period, especially the
Norse.  Literally millions of people have seen me demonstrate at museums
and historic events!  Since establishing me own business in '92, I have
held dozens of workshops on Blacksmithing and other historic
metalworking techniques.

available from :
the WAREHAM FORGE
Hamlet of Wareham - RR #2
Proton Stn Ont, CDN -  N0C 1L0
(519) 923- 9219, [email-masked]