Subject: Re: Amature Blacksmith Help

From: [email-masked] (K.F.Kinsey)
Date: 21 Nov 1994 16:32:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(FireRes107) wrote:

> I am just getting intrested in Blacksmithing.  I am running into one
> problem.
> 
> I cant seem to find suppliers of the equepment, 

> I live in Western Pennsylvania and am willing to travel for education.

As for equipment, some of the industrial hardware suppliers still sell
stuff like tongs, etc, but you are nuts to pay their prices. Surely western
Pa has flea markets and junky antique shops. Start visiting them and look
and price stuff. Even there, you will find silly prices, so educate
yourself. The stuff isn't as easy to find as it used to be, but its still
out there, lots of it. Leg vices for $50, tongs for $6-10, a good anvil for
$150, ball pein hammers for a few bucks. Portable forges show up from time
to time. You don't need much to start. A hammer or two, a good anvil (no
chips, not used to crush rocks) and a couple of pairs of tongs, and
something to run a fire in. You can finagle a firepot from a cast iron
floor drain. Hand cranked blowers show up from time to time, too. 

The NY state historical society at Cooperstown does a week long workshop
every summer--it's a great introduction to the craft, and not prohibitively
far away. 

I quote a notice from our tool collector's newsletter:

Tillers International, a non-profit organization in Kalamazoo Mich.
dedicated to preserving rural arts and crafts has announced a series of
workshops for this year. Topics include sharpening hand tools, hand tool
woodworking, timber framing, blacksmithing, and several relating to working
oxen and draft horses. Contact them at 5239 S. 24th St, Kalamazoo, MI
49002.
 Fax: (616) 358-2329, Phone: (616) 344-3233

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 14:01:35 GMT

>I cant seem to find suppliers of the equepment, or people who are willing
>to
>help me get started.  I would appricate any help from the Internet groups.
>Suggestions for suppliers, Gilds, Assocations, or just people willing to
>teach a young man the trade (I would hate to see an old tradition die)

>Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Call ABANA (Artist Blacksmith Assoc. of North America) (812) 988-6919. 
Ask them for contact information for chapters in your area.  I believe
there are several of them up in that area.

-- 
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214