Subject: Re: Anodizing equipment: HELP!

From: [email-masked] (o captain my captain)
Date: 15 Aug 1994 11:32:17 -0600

In article <1994Jul31.193630.83@bosv01>,
lederman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> If you want colors, you also need dyes.
>
Are you sure about that?  I know you're talking about aluminum, but
I know that when you anodize titanium and niobium that the colors 
come from the optical effect that the layer of oxide produces.  Is
aluminum different?

ccapt.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 07:37:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (o captain my
captain) writes:
|> In article <1994Jul31.193630.83@bosv01>,
|> lederman <[email-masked]> wrote:
|> >
|> > If you want colors, you also need dyes.
|> >
|> Are you sure about that?  I know you're talking about aluminum, but
|> I know that when you anodize titanium and niobium that the colors 
|> come from the optical effect that the layer of oxide produces.  Is
|> aluminum different?
|> 
|> ccapt.
|> 

Al. anodising involves the creation of a hard, even film of oxide on
the surface.  This oxide can be dyed to the colour of your choice,
followed by a lacquer coat to protect it (if thought necessary).

I've seen many model engines with home-anodised fins which looked very
good.

-- 
David Jenkins

My motto is to forgive and, er... the other thing.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 15 Aug 94 21:20:31 MDT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (o captain my captain) writes:

|>In article <1994Jul31.193630.83@bosv01>,
|>lederman <[email-masked]> wrote:
|>>
|>> If you want colors, you also need dyes.
|>>
|>Are you sure about that?  I know you're talking about aluminum, but
|>I know that when you anodize titanium and niobium that the colors 
|>come from the optical effect that the layer of oxide produces.  Is
|>aluminum different?

Yes, aluminum is very different.  The layer is much thicker, and you
don't get the colors from interference.  You might check out the FAQ
part 5 question 29, which discusses aluminum anodizing.  Non-dyed
aluminum anodizing is very dull to look at.

The FAQ is available on plains.uwyo.edu in the METAL directory.

Jim