Subject: Re: edm or laser

From: [email-masked] (Brush Wellman)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 14:49:53 GMT

: >Someone else care to tackle high presure water and water/abrasive cutting
: >systems while we are at it? 

Sure, I'll give it a shot.  High pressure water/abrasive cutting, otherwise
known as waterjet cutting, using a small stream of high pressure water
(around 20,000 psi, give or take, depending on a few factors) with abrasive
(like garnet) mixed in.  It cuts a thin kerf (about .040", depending on the
size tip and grain size of the abrasive) and is most like grinding, expect in
a very small area.  I'm told there are hand-held waterjets (probably lower
pressure), ours is a 2-axis waterjet, and there are multi-axis waterjets to
cut more complex shapes.  There is no HAZ and very little, if any, damage on
the cut edge.

-- 
These have been the unofficial opnions of:
Edward Hefter               [email-masked]
Brush Wellman, Inc.         (510) 713-3714
Fremont, CA                 (510) 792-1197 (Fax)
Beryllium and Beryllium alloy materials and applications

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 7 Feb 1995 15:14:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
murr rhame <[email-masked]> wrote:

<much text deleted>

>Someone else care to tackle high presure water and water/abrasive cutting
>systems while we are at it? 

And plasma cutting... just how small can a plasma torch be?  Comparable to a 
CO2 laser of X watts?