Subject: COR-10?

From: Mark McDade <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 02:59:52 GMT

Anybody know what COR-10 steel is?  Anything about welding it?

Thanks,

Mark 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (FireRes107)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 23:10:19 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, Mark McDade <[email-masked]>

>Anybody know what COR-10 steel is?  Anything about welding it?

I know that COR-10 Steel is a steel that will oxidize and form a
protective coating around it's self.  
This is the steel that The USX Building in Pittsburgh is made of.

I know nothing of weding it.

Hope this helps,
Mark Russell ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Wold)
Date: 26 Nov 1994 15:47:42 -0500

Mark McDade ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Anybody know what COR-10 steel is?  Anything about welding it?

: Thanks,

: Mark 

: [email-masked]

We use COR-10 for the hull-plating on commercial fishing trawlers and other
work boats. It welds the same as ordainary steel (a-26). We use 7018
(low-hydrogen) welding electrodes. Also we use 7024 for flat welds such as
deck seams.

>From  the Ryerson Steel Handbook:

A588, A242 specification. Four or five times more resistant to atomspheric
corrosion than low carbon steel. Unpainted, Cor-Ten has tightly adherent
oxide surface which stops further oxidation. Excellent weldability and
formability. Identification colors: white (Cor-Ten), white and orange
(Kaisaloy 45).

Miniumum mechanical properties:

		 yield point	Tensile strength  Approx.
		 psi		psi		  relative cost	

Low Carbon	27,500 avg	50,000 avg	  100
Cor-Ten		50,000		70,000	          134
Kaisaloy 45 FG  45,000		60,000 		  127

-Dan

-- 
[email-masked]
Daniel Wold                             239 City Island Ave, Bronx, NY, 10464
finger [email-masked]
Sysop: WORLD CITIZEN BBS  718-885-2346  14.4  24 hrs  FREE  Fidonet  BahaiNet