Subject: Re: Welding question from Europe

From: [email-masked] (Mrwizard00)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 10:50:40 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Gordon W J Sorensen)
writes:

For what it's worth, "Modern Welding" by Althouse, Turnquist, et al, says
this about welding dissimilar metals: "The  (welding rod) composition
whould be similar to the metal which has the least amount of alloying
metals.  The electrode should be a low-carbon electrode.  It is advisable
to pre-heat the joint to 200-300 deg. F. (93 to 149 deg. C) to produce
better welding results."  I remember somewhere reading that carbon
embrittlement is a problem in welding stainless and ordinary steels.  Best
wishes.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gordon W J Sorensen)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 18:30:50 GMT

: Hi,

: I have been doing quite a bit of TIG welding with
: stainless steel for boat fittings. But yesterday
: I was welding a steel frame for a desk. Not having
: regular steel filler rod I just used SS V4A (I
: think what you call 316) filler rod. It worked
: fine, but I wonder is this okay? And, while we
: are at it, is it okay to weld stainless to normal
: steel or are there going to be any problems.

: Many thanks for any comments.

: Claas van der Linde
: [email-masked]

Hi Class,

I have used stainless steel filler rod quite often with
no adverse effects, at least that I could detect. This may
result in a weld joint of less than optimal strength, but
none of them have failed in my uses.  I find that the 
stainless steel rod welds easier and as a bonus, the 
weld joint doesn't rust althougth the none stainless steel
parent material does rust.

For general purpose welding in none critical areas I wouldn't be
concerned.

My 2% of a dollar.

gordon s.