Subject: Re: [HELP] Locating English Hand Drill

From: [email-masked] (Mark de Roussier)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 02:24:55 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> Doug White <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Sometime in the mid-70s, I purchased a small 'D' handled hand drill from
> 'Flex-i-Bar' (a US tool distributor and manufacturer).  The entire body of
> the drill is a zinc or aluminum casting, with the gears fully enclosed.
> The chuck was a piece of junk, but I found a good chuck on an old drill
> that fit.  The label says 'Made in England'.  I saw identical drills sold
> under other names up until the early '80's.  Mine has a large domed screw
> that holds the crank onto the body of the drill, with a pair of spanner holes
> to tighten it.  The other similar drills I've seen have a screwdriver slot
> instead of the spanner holes.  The entire drill is less than 8" long, which
> means you can get it into places no other drill can go.
>

I know exactly the device you mean, but it's a long time since I saw one. A
couple of names ( of possible manufacturers ) that spring to mind are Stanley
( but I think they're US - based ? ) or Draper. I suspect that these days you
might find only low - quality copies, if any :(.
 
--
Mark de Roussier
                ************************************
                 A nice man is a man of nasty ideas.

                                Jonathon Swift.
                ************************************