Subject: Re: setting down a mill

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 23 Feb 1995 20:34:53 GMT

Terry Mayhugh ([email-masked]) wrote:
	(SNIP)
--Bought my Bridgeport back in '76 and just sat it on the garage floor. In 
'82 we had  a good earthquake. The result: the mill moved about 4" across 
the floor. Thinking about it, I believe that if it had been fastened to 
the floor, more damage would have been done, as it tried to uproot 
itself from the typical thickness of concrete under your common garage. 
To this day it is still free to move...

"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 24 Feb 1995 13:19:50 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Paul 
Amaranth) writes: 

>
>I built a caster base for my Bridgeport so I can roll it out of the way
>when I need the space (good thing my floor is level :-).  I have four
>1 inch jack screws in the corners to pick it up and level it.  I 
usually
>put some old pieces of oak flooring between the screws and the concrete
>floor to keep the localized loading down to something reasonable.  No
>problems so far.
>
>The next question is what will happen if I put a 3000 pound lathe down
>next to it.
>
>-- 
>Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also 
voicemail)
>               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, 
Michigan  USA]
>   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html 
>

Do you mean you use the jack screws in the hold-down holes in the base 
or did you adapt something to mount out at the actual corners of the 
base, Paul?

Mike