Subject: Re: Headstock Noise

From: [email-masked] (Doug White)
Date: 24 Oct 1994 17:04:57 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Frank Carlsen) writes: 

>
>
>    
>     I've owned an Emco Maximat Super 11 for the past nine years or so. Ever 
>since I got it the gearbox has been quite noisy in the 200 RPM setting. 
>Rather aggravating whine for the first 15 seconds and then eases up a bit, 
>but still much louder than the 300. Any other Emco owners have this problem 
>or can anyone offer a solution? I have avoided using that range in the past. 
>Do you think running at that speed will reduce the noise? I have inspected 
>the gearing and didn't spot and rough areas.
>    Also, even though this is the wrong conference area, I have a neighbor 
>who is a home shop machinist and restores Henderson motorcycles. Since some 
>of you guys have a source for everything, anyone know of any Henderson 
>basket cases or odd parts. I can't seem to find a conference that covers 
>this sort of thing. The motorcycle areas that I scanned are definitely not 
>the place.  Thanks for your help...
>    
>    Frank Carlsen
>___
I just bought a Super 11 a little over a year ago.  I've been very happy
with it, but it does tend to make disturbing noises occasionally.  I
haven't tried the 200 rpm setting lately, so I can't verify this.  My house
is undergoing major surgery, and my lathe is buried under a tarp at this
point.

I have the 'electrical safety' version, and the one thing I have noticed
is that the lathe stops with a BANG when I use the black switch.  The only 
thing I can figure is that they are using dynamic braking, and stopping
all that rotating mass in a hurry gives the machine quite a jolt.  I
talked to Emco Maier about it, and they said it was normal.  Except for
panic stops, I usually resort to the shutting the machine down with the
red safety switch.  This lets it wind down gracefully, without the bang.
They said that the red switch isn't designed to last forever under starting 
and stopping loads, so I start with the black switch off, turn on the red
switch, and then fire up with the black switch.  Then I shut down with
the red switch, and turn off the black switch once the lathe has stopped.
It's a littl ebizarre, but I've gotten used to it.

The only other problem I've had is that the headstock leaks a little oil.
If I run the thing for several hours, I lose about a table spoon of oil.
The sight glasses are still OK, and I haven't had to add any oil yet, so I
guess it's no big deal.

Doug White

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Carlsen)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 94 22:16:00 +0000

>Newsgroup: rec.crafts.metalworking
>Organization: Netcom
>
>leaks a little oil.

    I ended up with the standard electrical setup on my machine just to save 
a few bucks, I guess. After reading your post am I ever glad I did. The oil 
leakage may be a trait of the Emco. My brother bought the same machine when 
I got mine. Since we're on opposite coasts I never see his machine and I 
have never thought to ask him. On mine every gearbox weeps oil. I have their 
small mill/drill attachment and it also will weep a little. Looks like more 
than it actually is but it is annoying to shine that baby up real pretty and 
come back the next day and spot oil collecting under every gearbox. No real 
complaints though. It's a great running machine. As far as my noise problem, 
I'm going to try and run at 200/400 more and see if it helps.
    
    Frank Carlsen

___
* UniQWK v3.3a* The Windows Mail Reader
--- Silver Xpress Mail System 5.03H1

=============================================================================
    Frank Carlsen
    [email-masked]
    The Leading Edge BBS                    Wurtsboro, NY (914) 888-4295
=============================================================================