Subject: Shop-Task mill-lathe-drill: Quick advice needed

From: [email-masked] (Joel Lenoir)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:48:47

I need some quick advice about the Shop-Task mill-lathe-drill.  I need a small 
machine for use at home.  I am working on some personal research projects, 
plus I just want a small hobby machine for simple projects.  I have access to 
several large machine shops, including CNC equipment, to complete my larger 
jobs but I need something at home.

I can buy the Shopt-Task 17/20 XM thread cutting model with the standard 
accessories (centers, 3 jaw chuck, cutting gears, chuck, etc) and have the 
machine delivered to a local trucking company depot for $1455, if I order by 
Dec. 6.  I don't need any additional gear from them, since I have other 
sources for cutters, etc.

I have a woodworking shop, and fortunately did not decide to buy a Shopsmith.  
No flames please, but my woodworking requires separate machines and I have the 
room (and used to have the money :-) ).  I know the advantages and 
disadvantages of multi-purpose machines.  However, at home I don't have the 
luxury of repeating this type of individual tool purchase.  Separate large 
machines are just not a possibility, even used.

I need some quick opinions from anyone with experience with the Shop-Task 
machines.  Will it be a poor choice for my needs, or is this an adequate 
machine for my shop?  Don't forget, I have other machines to use for big 
and/or critical jobs.  In addition, what type of stand did you make and how 
tall was it?  I'm 6'1".

I am also considering 2 of these machines for use in a student 
quick-prototyping shop.  The students have access to the same larger shops I 
mentioned earlier, but we need 2 smaller machines in this new prototype shop 
for demonstrations and quick modifications.  Any opinions??

Please e-mail for fastest response, but postings are ok since I read 
regularly.  Thanks for any help.

Joel Lenoir
Western Kentucky University
Engineering Technology