Subject: Distribution: (was Re: Bridgeport to my basement??

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hewett)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 08:02:13 GMT

On 11 Dec 1994 03:29:04 GMT Paul Amaranth ([email-masked]) said:

> Wierd, I didn't get the orignal post (yet)

I've noticed (at my place of work, which gets a US news feed) that some posts
on this group have "Distribution: World" in the header. Note the capital "W".
This is a (relatively) well-known way of knobbling the chances of your post
actually getting everywhere. "Distribution: world" with a lower-case "w" is
much more likely to work.

-- 
Cheers, Rick Hewett.

[email-masked] -- PGP 22A93415: 95C4DE15 E7A048A0  7EC27CC0 26136413

... Jesus saves...Passes to Moses..Shoots....Scores!

---

From: [email-masked] (gary preckshot)
Date: 15 Dec 1994 21:33:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Paul Amaranth) wrote:

> I used an A frame made of 1/8 wall 2" square tubing to pick up my mill
> to drop onto a caster base so I could move it around (I regularly use
> this  frame to pick up engines, front ends of cars, etc).  There is a
> 2' section in the center between braces that is now curved because it
> deformed from the weight of the mill.
> 
> They're cute, but they are *>heavy<*.

They sure are.  Thought I'd add something to Paul's A frame tale.  I've got
an Enco 3/4 size that weighs about 1700 lbs.  Turns out it has 7/8" holes
for leveling jacks on all four corners of the base.  I got a 1"-8 tap, and
tapped these holes.  If you ever meet a guy who can run one of these taps
in with a tap handle, be very respectful.  I used cheater bars, prayer,
copious amounts of tapping fluid, and many bad words, and after an
afternoon, four holes got tapped and I was beat.  There was, however, a
payoff.  Now I can bolt (using angle-iron brackets) 4X4's across (on top
of) the base, fore & aft.  Then, using wheeled floor-model car jack, I jack
under the 4X4s, end by end, until I've got the whole mill up in the air
about 6" on blocks (10" under the 4x4s), or just enough space to install 4
500 lb casters under each end of the 4x4's.  No A frame, nothing to bend,
nothing gets lifted high enough to tip.  Then when the casters (pneumatic
tired) are installed, I reverse the process to let the mill down on its
casters.  With 6" diameter tires, it rolls easily.  When I get it where I
want it, I reverse the whole process, and store the 1" bolts in the holes
until next time.  Time consuming, but one guy can do it, and there are no
white-knuckle operations involved.

Gary

---

From: [email-masked] (Randy Lee)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 17:56:25 GMT

I moved a short table round ram bridgeport into my basement shop last June...

I removed the handwheels and lead screw from the table and locked in the
center position.

moved the table up close to the col. and droped the knee to the full down
position.

rotated the head  upside down and moved it in close to the col.

with lifting straps rated for 8,000 lbs I used a Front end loader to lift it
off the truck and drop it down the Bilco Hatch (from which I had pulled the
2X8 treads from the metal risers) on to rolers of heavy pipe... there was
about 1 in of cleareance on each side of the table.

rolled it into position and leveled and tramed it up...

cost about $350 for hire of the loader and 3 gorillas... worth every penny.

~R
________________________________________________________
Randolph Lee    [email-masked]  [email-masked]
Tag space For rent!.... Inquire Above for attractive rates!

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary Helfrich)
Date: 17 Dec 1994 07:51:24 -0800

Maybe I'm a bit brain damaged, but half of the excitement of getting a 
new machine is the challange of moving it in.  I've come to terms with my 
addiction to aquire large dirty cast iron objects, however.  After 
launching a gravitationaly challenged Kerney and Trecker mill through the 
stairs, I ended my denial.  The stairs were repaired with 6 foot wide 
steel ones, and a small rollup door replaced the old wood one.  Several 
rigging points were installed in the yard and set in concrete.  The icing 
on the cake was an International TD6 with a fork lift attachment.  Now I 
can attend auctions with a clear conscience.

Gary Helfrich
Arctos Machine

---

From: [email-masked] (Colin Constant)
Date: 15 Dec 1994 20:25:48 GMT

Russ Kepler ([email-masked]) wrote:

: (I once dropped a 300#, $30,000 disk drive down a flight of stairs.
: Made a real bang.)

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "disk crash", doesn't it :-)

Colin
_______________________________________________________________
" 2.11 - 2.1 = 0.00 "  -- Windows Calculator
_______________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (-F.KERFOOT)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 13:56:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>white-knuckle operations involved.

Assuming you only need to move the mill a short distance on a relatively
level floor, there is a lot easier way to do it. Get 3 sections of
3/4" iron pipe (actually >1" OD), about 3' long. Use a pry bar to
lift the mill 1+" at one corner, and get 2 rollers under, 1 at a time.
The mill will now roll easily on these rollers. When the center of
gravity approaches the last roller, stick the 3rd roller under the
front. Pick up the roller which comes out the back as you roll it,
and use it when needed at the front. Keep doing this as you roll the
machine. You can go around corners by adjusting the angles of the
rollers. There is nothing very scary about this approach. The Mill
is never nore than 1' off the floor, and even if you screw up, nothing
exciting happens. It only works on reasonably hard, flat floors
however.

On the subject of using A-frames for this sort of thing, I used one
of the commercially available (e.g. Harbor Freight) hoists
when I moved my Bridgeport, without a problem. The unit was rated for
1000 lb with the arm extended, and 2000 lb with it retracted. A fully
assembled Series 1 Bridgeport (including the earlier ones before they
started calling them Series 1) weighs very close to 2000 lb (my 1960
sales brouchure says 1980 lb). I lifted it with the arm retracted,
and didn't bend anything. Paul didn't mention if his A-frame was rated
for 1700 lb but bent anyway, or if it was home-made or whatever.

Frank Kerfoot
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 18 Dec 1994 21:45:50 GMT

>for 1700 lb but bent anyway, or if it was home-made or whatever.

It's home-made.  I used 2" square 1/8 wall welded steel tubing available
>from  my local steel yard.  It's probably mild steel.  I think I'd rate it
for 1500 lb :-)

I have my mill on a caster base that has 6 4" steel wheels.  One person
can move it around (with a little difficulty) and there are 4 jack
screws in the corners to level it once it's where you want it.  That's
been pretty handy since the mill has to share it's space with my cars
in the garage.

-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, Michigan  USA]
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html