Subject: Re: casting aluminium

From: [email-masked] (Carl Mork)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 06:00:00 GMT

-=> Quoting Allan Hill to All <=-
 AH> Can somebody tell me basically whats involved in casting aluminium ?
 AH> - Is it a feasible thing to attempt ?

 AH> What would one need to do this ?

 AH> Allan Hill
 AH> [email-masked]
     Casting Aluminun is basically the same as most metal, but you don't 
 need quite as much heat as copper alloys or steel.

     Aluminum melts at around 1200 f.

     You'll need a crucible and tongs to move the crucible.  for small pieces
 you can get crucibles with attached handles and a propane torch.  In fact
 I would reccomend practicing with small pieces before investing in heavy 
 equipment.

     There all sorts of ways to make the casting mold, plaster investment,
 carving in cuttlebone, pumice, tuff or charcoal.  One method I learned was
 to carve the design in fine styrofoam and pack it in sand( packed sand is an
 old method of casting.  Once you have your original, if you use packed sand
 you can make copies using the original to define the open space.

 Use lots of ventilation, goggles, gloves and if you can a respirator.
 Have fun!

... Support your local medical examiner--die strangely.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12