Subject: building a belt grinder (pros and cons)

From: [email-masked] (Richard Johnson)
Date: 10 Sep 1994 03:15:09 GMT

I am looking to start turning out weapons in earnest and hence need a 
belt grinder for grinding and finishing blades.  The three options I see are 1)
building my own, 2) buying a four hundred dollard Coote or SpeedCut and use my
own motor, or 3) saving my pennies for a long time and buying a spiffy Square Wheel
or, dare I wish :), Burr King.
	I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the pros or cons of each method.
I believe that I have the skill to build one if I only knew the names of the parts
I am looking for.
	E-mail or news reply is fine.
	Please don't tell me to go find a used one.  I've been looking for three 
years now and haven't found any.
	Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (James Dollar)
Date: 10 Sep 1994 15:27:24 GMT

Richard Johnson ([email-masked]) wrote:
:	I am looking to start turning out weapons in earnest and hence need a 
:belt grinder for grinding and finishing blades.  The three options are 1)
:building my own, 2) buying a four hundred dollard Coote or SpeedCut and use my
:own motor, or saving my pennies for a long time and buying a Square Wheel
:or, dare I wish :, Burr King.
:	I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the pros or cons of each method.
:I believe I have the skill to build one if I only knew the names of the parts
:I am looking for.
:	E-mail or news reply is fine.
:	Please don't tell me to go find a used one.  I've been looking for three 
:years now and haven't found any.
:	Rick
Rick
In the Gun Digest Book of Knife making, authors Jack Lewis and Roger Combs
say that many do make their own grinders (page 22) but don't give any tips.
They recommend the Coote. 
 
Barney and Loveless, in their 1977 book 
"How to make knives" suggest not using the lighter version grinders.
They list the items to make your own from spare parts, however they 
estimate the cost at $450.00. Not too bad until you realize those are 
1977 dollars. 
 
I received the latest catalog from Bob Engnath's 
Blades 'n' Stuff (1019 E. Palmer Ave., Glendale Ca, 91205, (818) 965-5110).
This catalog is packed with information. A complete novice could take up
this catalog and start making high quality knives; yes it's that good. They 
charge $5 for the catalog, and it worth every penny. It is more of a text
than a comercial catalog. ALL that to say this, Bob doesn't think anything
less that a full 1.5 horse motor is practical for knife making. Bob doesn't
recommend 1 horse for any heavy grinding, Blader-Square-Burr not 
withstanding. He sayes vari speed DC's at 1 horse are a problem too.
 
I've found a heavy duty .5 horse grinder, Ickler brand. Nice rugged little
unit. Don't know anyone who owns one. They are in the $300 range. Centaur
also sells them. Look like they would fill the bill, but...

--
Jame$ Dollar <[email-masked]>