Subject: Re: Looking for G10 source

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 95 18:23:30 PDT

G10 is a pressure cured fiberglass often seen as a base material in printed 
circuit boards.  It is a translucent green and is available fron plastic supply 
houses in many forms, sheets, tubes, and rods most commonly.  Being fiberglass 
it is itchy to work with because the little broken pieces of glass fiber get 
into the skin.  Until your knife handle stops shedding the handle could be more 
dangerous than the blade.

---

From: [email-masked] (Len Turnbow)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 05:25:17 GMT

Rob Beishline ([email-masked]) wrote:
: This isn't really a metal question, but I thought this might be a
: good place to ask:

: I'm looking for a source for G10 composite material (I think it's
: a kind of fiberglass or something) to try out as some knife handle
: material. None of the knifemaking supply places that I know carry
: it. Does anyone know where I can get some?
(snip)
Yes!  G10 glass-epoxy.  Try electronics surplus houses.  It is used in 
sheet, rod and block form to make insulated test fixtures.
It was also used for a number of years in the manufacture of printed
circuit boards.  The most popular in use now is called 'FR-4'.

Machining this stuff is a bear.  It will dull HSS tools quickly.
Carbide tools are recommended.  IMHO, you oughta consider the purchase of a
fiberglassing kit from the folks at your local Corth or Tap plastics
outlet. (Check yellow pages under 'plastic').  I know nothing about
fiberglassing but it just has to yield better results faster than machining.

Good luck!

-- Len

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob Beishline)
Date: 27 Feb 1995 18:35:43 GMT

This isn't really a metal question, but I thought this might be a
good place to ask:

I'm looking for a source for G10 composite material (I think it's
a kind of fiberglass or something) to try out as some knife handle
material. None of the knifemaking supply places that I know carry
it. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks.

Ben Beishline   Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy D. Shoppa x4256)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 10:57 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Rob Beishline) writes...
>Ben Beishline   Email: [email-masked]

For a local source, go ask around the electrical engineering and physics
machine shops at your university.  They may have some scraps they'll
give you for free.  G10 is a common material in printed
circuit boards and as insulators in high-frequency, high-potential
equipment.  They'll also be able to give you some tips on working with
the material.

Tim. ([email-masked])
Kellogg Radiation Lab, Caltech.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Barnwell)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 03:03:58 GMT

>: material. None of the knifemaking supply places that I know carry

Try McMaster Carr They list rods and sheets and some shapes I think.
(can't find the catalog right now).

John