Subject: Re: forges

From: Storm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 17:11:46 -0700

On 17 Nov 1994, Doug Ayen wrote:

> [email-masked] writes:
> 
> >	I was curious what kind of forges people use in this group.  I was
> >tought a little on a gas forge.  All the books that I have read go in depth
> >mostly with coal forges. 
> >					Michael
> 
> Coal fired forge, electric blower (unfortunately pretty wimpy and 
> non-portable), cast iron firepot/tuyre iron(sp?), metal table.
> 
> I'm planning on building a double-chambered bellows so I can a) set up at 
> SCA events and b) get enough air so as to be able to start making 
> patern-welded weapons.
> 
> --doug
> 
> 
> 
> 
I use (used) an inherited and somewhat improvised Champion 400 coal 
forge; the Champion 400 blower, which is hand cranked, has great control 
and enough air to blow a fire clear out of the box if you want. My 
brother and I built a portable setup for travel and, of course, SCA 
events, using a double chambered bellows; it worked great when we 
finally got all the bugs out. (Bellows are not so simple as they seem.)
The box was simply constructed of clay and firebrick with some steel 
plumbing.
I grew up using coal, and I like the quality of the fire, the portability, 
the smell and the control I can get when I have good coal (deep mined 
anthracite or hard low sulfur is the very best). I wouldn't mind having a 
gas system, but I can do anything I need with the coal, so why bother?
Like anything else, though, it's a matter of taste and what you're used 
to, but don't let anyone tell you coal is inferior. I even use charcoal 
on occassion, it works for light work, but way too much ash.

Kennric,
occasional blacksmith