Subject: RE: Charcole Foundry

From: [email-masked] (Rich Gagnon)
Date: 29 Dec 1994 23:19:45 GMT

I just finished reading (and accidentally deleting) the last few postings on this
thread and am very interested in learning about and building a foundry for
casting.  A book? by Gringery (sp?) was mentioned, and it sounds like good
reading.  Is this something I should be able to find in a library, or could
someone point me to it or other references for beginners on the subject.

Thanks,

-- 
	Rich Gagnon		Internet:[email-masked]
	NCAR - ATD/RSF  			
	P.O Box 3000		Fax:	 303-497-2044
	Boulder, CO 80307-3000	Voice:	 303-497-2076

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 30 Dec 94 08:57:22 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Rich Gagnon) writes:
|>I just finished reading (and accidentally deleting) the last few postings on this
|>thread and am very interested in learning about and building a foundry for
|>casting.  A book? by Gringery (sp?) was mentioned, and it sounds like good
|>reading.  Is this something I should be able to find in a library, or could
|>someone point me to it or other references for beginners on the subject.

Dave Gingery's books are available from various sources, but the
best is probably Lindsay's:

   -  Lindsay Publications Inc.
      P. O. Box 538
      Bradley, IL  60915-0538
      (815) 935-5353

      Lindsay publishes books for the home shop, covering casting, forging,
      machining, and a few plans for building engines and such.  It has been
      reported that their catalog is "a bit bizarre" but the service is
      fast.  Their electrical catalog has cross-over projects that include
      light (pun intended?) metalworking.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: 30 Dec 94 11:22:02 CST

> someone point me to it or other references for beginners on the subject.

I started this thread after I ordered a couple of books from 
"Lindsay's Metal Working Books" Catalog.

You can order the catalog free by calling (815) 935-5353

Here are the books I ordered, but there were several others:

"Charcoal Foundary" by David Gingery, $6.95, catalog no. 163

"Ornamental Metal Casting", by Robert Whitmoyer, $9.95, Cat. #4430

"How to build a Forge", by David Wimberly, $4.50, Cat. #845.
	(This one is about building a forge out of an old
	water heater body.)

The catalog had many other interesting books on Aluminum casting,
but these two seemed like the best starting point.

I'm presently scouring the neighborhood for an old metal bucket,
aluminum cans, and an old vacume cleaner.  ;^)

---
	-David  [email-masked]

-- 
	-David  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 95 04:10:06

I have the LINDSY book on building the charcoal aluminum furnace.  It does work
and real well, I might add,... We crancked ours up and when the hair dryer size
fan/blower gave out all we had was a "shop vac" that we reversed the air on and
succeded in melting the bottom out of our "crucible". Our crucible was an 8" x
3/8" well stem pipe about 10" in length and had a 3/8" chunk of chanel iron
welded to the end to form the base...  Needless to say we had 10 lbs. of
aluminum and iron running out of the blower vent hole in the base of the
"furnace" in less than 15 minutes..   Watch the air and be right careful with
the heat... 1200 degrees F will melt aluminu just fine..    enjoy    md sharp 
(still alive in kansas)

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 01:44:53 GMT

Rich,
Get the address for Lindsay Publications out of the FAQ.  Call/write
them for their metalworking catalog.  This is the most expensive "free"
catalog you will ever recieve.  David Gingery has written seven books on
building a complete machine shop from scrap.  His son Vince has a good 
design for a power hacksaw, slip roller, and still.  His still plans include
information on getting licensed to make your own fuel alcohol.  Then there are
the other books.  The whole Lindsay line is one for hobbiests like us.  Most
of the information/books are old technologies -- things we can do in the yard.
-- 
    - Barry Workman