Subject: Oil smells

From: [email-masked] (gaas::fisher)
Date: 28 FEB 95 12:05:20

Oil smells.

Some oils smell good - some don't.
I'm not sure which is which but...

When I picked up my lathe it smelled wonderful.
Now the area around it stinks.  In between I have
put several lubricants on it and in addition spilled
some and even the hydraulic fluid form a shock.

Does anybody have a good feel (smell) for which
oils (and lubricants) have a pleasant smell.

Does detergent oil smell bad but not detergent good?

Bye          --+--
Kay R. Fisher  |
---------------O---------------
################################################################################

---

From: [email-masked] (Russ Kepler)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 14:51:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Does detergent oil smell bad but not detergent good?

I hope that asking that doesn't mean that you've been using motor oil
in your lathe - it might serve as a cutting lubricant, but it's really
not designed for use on the ways or in bearings.

I could live with 3 oils around my lathe: a light spindle oil (about
10wt), a heavier way oil (about 30wt) and a heavy gear oil (90+wt). 
All of these can be purchased in 1 gallon quantities for less than $10
each from an outfit such as MSC, and are worth it.

In cutting about the only oil I regularly use is a heavy gear cutting
oil sold by Rigid.  You can usually pick this up from a local shop,
but all you're looking for is a sulphurated or chlorinated cutting oil.

With the above the worst smelling thing in the garage is me.

-- 
Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

                      Please don't feed the Engineers

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 16:54:35 -0800

>Does detergent oil smell bad but not detergent good?

You could Chanel or Shalimar it.  Actually, are you sure you don't have 
some algae growing there?  Bacteria eat oil too.  Most spray coolent 
manufacturers put a algaecide or bactericide in their product because 
over time water from the air is picked up by the oil (and already in 
KoolMist, for instance) fostering the little critters to grow.

Generally, oil by itself is oderless or nearly so.

If you have to disinfect, use bleach - cheap, effective.

JerryK