Subject: Re: cad software

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 19:57:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Mslovjoy <[email-masked]> writes:
>Would anyone care to give their opinion of any of the CAD programs suitable for
>the amateur machinist?   Cheap is good.   I've heard of TurboCad and a few
>others but I have never used any of them.  Any help would be greatfully
>received.
>thanks, Lovjoy.

I bought TurboCad for the Macintosh directly from the mfgr. for about
$50. First, understand that I have no previous experience with CAD,
although I have extensive experience with Mac applications as I am the
systems manager in our department here. I find it absolutely criminal
that there is no on-line help for this software. There are many
controls which are activated by clicking on tiny icons which are hard
to differentiate. It takes a long, long time to learn all these icons,
and not having any on-line help is a major drawback to this software.
It does not run like other Mac graphics software, although as I said,
I have no experience with other Cad-ware. For the amount of drawing I
will need, I find a pencil and t-square is faster considering the
learning curve on this product.

Be sure you have a decent-sized monitor.... Scrolling around to see
parts of your drawing is a pain.

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Dec 1994 04:00:49 GMT

Funny you should ask this question.  I had just composed a note 
very similar to yours.  I too have Turbo-Cad (for the PC - not 
MAC)  also useless in my humble opinion.  I'm sure that you want 
to be able to design threads, hole locations, and machining notes 
all on the "plan" so it has to be a program that will "do" 
something.  In my case, it needs to be VERY user friendly, and 
yes, cheap is good.  I heard that Generic Cadd had gotten real 
good (find an old copy?) but Auto Cad bought them out and then 
dropped it off the market!  True?  I don't know.  I think Autocad 
is beyond my capabilities and I know it's beyond my wallet.  
Sorry not to add anything concrete.  Hope someone out there has 
tried something good. Carl

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 12:58:06

Some may remember I just offered to sell a DANCAD package. Since I have found 
a buyer, Ill offer a comment or two about DANCAD- I found it primitive. Its 
only EGA level graphics- state of the art about 1983. I found it to tedious to 
use. 

However, IF your application is for things like PC board layout, and PC board 
drilling, then DANCAD with its DANCAM and DANPLOT options might be a real 
good solution. It also has a nice feature of calculating a Direction vector on 
2D plots, so you could quite eaisly make a vinyl sign cutting machine. If you 
buy the full support option ($195) you get a lot of PC board and font files. I 
dont hink you get much of this with the shareware version.

Generic CAD was indeed purchased by AutoDesk, then killed off. They offered an 
upgrade to AutoCAD-LT for registered users. I bought it. My first reaction was 
not good, and I called AutoDesk about their 'money back' terms. I was past the 
60 day time limit, so tough luck.

I received a mail flyer from some company claiming to be composed of 
ex-Generic CAD people and promising a new CAD package. So far I havent 
seen it.

Just a week or two ago, I attempted again to use AutoCAD-LT. I studied the 
tutorial and actually found it very good. I have since used it for a couple 
model boat drawings and Im getting pretty good at it. I believe I will stop 
trying other CAD packages and just stick with it until I get good.

For CNC stuff, I also bought INDEXER.LPT from Ability Systems. This is a PC 
driver package that handles all the step generation logic and drives a normal 
LPT parrallel port. I think its a great package, and I have made several phone 
calls to them and get GREAT support and advice.  They also have an HPGL to 
INDEXER convertor, so I can create a plot file with my CAD system and turn it 
into motor commands. I have so far made a set of motors spin on a Sherline 
lathe, but I havent made a real part yet. Should be out in the shop at this 
minute trying that, but I got settled into my comfy chair by the PC and here I 
am.....

Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 18 Dec 1994 23:18:55 GMT

>tried something good. Carl

Go to your local JC or University bookstore and look for the full 
AutoCAD at a real bargan price.  About $500 if I remember correctly.  
The only problem was that you could not upgrade it for the next version. 
 So what?  The upgrades cost more than going back and getting another 
copy from the bookstore.

You might have to become a student for a short period.  You could take 
the AutoCAD class and get a real leg up.

Best,
Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Daryl Bender)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 16:26:26 -0500

I too would like to get a package for at home use.
I'm currently using Generic CADD on my work supplied MAC to do my astrolabe
stuff but its strictly 2D. Its slow and has quite limited power but it does
have the ability to use my MAC fonts which is important to artwork. I also
design mechanisms and 3D solids would be a great asset here. I was hoping
to pick up PRO ENG which they use here at work. 3D solids parametric
instead of coordinate based. Among a ton of other stuff updates to assembly
drawings are simultaneously captured in all the part drawings, it even
tells you if parts wont fit due to tolerance etc. The shading feature is
nice to see how your part looks. Alas a licence is $28,000 sigh.....
Is there a fast 3D solids (not wireframe) package that can also do 2D
layout with a WIDE range of fonts for a reasonable price? 

Daryl
-- 
Working, but not speaking for BNR.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary Helfrich)
Date: 17 Dec 1994 13:27:17 -0800

Mslovjoy ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Would anyone care to give their opinion of any of the CAD programs suitable for
: the amateur machinist?   Cheap is good.   I've heard of TurboCad and a few
: others but I have never used any of them.  Any help would be greatfully
: received.
: thanks, Lovjoy.

Depends on the definition of cheap.  Cadkey 7 is a killer deal at $500., 
but it might be more than you need.  I'd tend to be careful of the very 
inexpensive stuff.  What ever you do, stay away from Autocad LT.  
TurboCad is a better package and only 10% of the price.

Gary Helfrich
Arctos Machine