Subject: DIY Anodising

From: [email-masked] (Mike Diack)
Date: 15 Aug 94 10:43:27 GMT

The local cartel of anodisers have decided to not accept small jobs
(unless horrendously overpaid) so, being reasonably competent with
chemicals & electricity (ie please..NO "dont do this, its too dangerous
" type messages)
Q : can anodising be done on a small "backyard" scale, and if so, how ?
(or a reference to a good book on the subject would be nice)
cheers
Mike.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 07:35:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Mike Diack) writes:
|> The local cartel of anodisers have decided to not accept small jobs
|> (unless horrendously overpaid) so, being reasonably competent with
|> chemicals & electricity (ie please..NO "dont do this, its too
|> dangerous
|> " type messages)
|> Q : can anodising be done on a small "backyard" scale, and if so, how
|> ?
|> (or a reference to a good book on the subject would be nice)
|> cheers
|> Mike.

Yes, it's fairly easy, and involves a couple of plastic tubs, dilute
sulphuric acid (I think), a car battery, light bulbs and some dye.

The exact combination of these components was described in some detail
in Model Engineer a couple of years ago... I know this is only partly
informative, but my books are at home!

The important thing is that it is feasible, quite safe with
reasonable care, cheap and effective.

If you have access to past copies of ME then I can find the reference.
 Don't ask me to type it in - we're talking about 2 pages of
close-typed A4 here.

-- 
David Jenkins

My motto is to forgive and, er... the other thing.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 16 Aug 94 14:37:08 MDT

As I mentioned in an earlier post on anodizing, a reasonable start
on the topic is the FAQ, available at plains.uwyo.edu in the METAL
subdirectory.

Jim