Subject: Re: Safety Hazards of Common Solvents

From: [email-masked] (Vincent Iorio)
Date: 22 Nov 1994 16:56:29 -0500

I would like to say thanks to Mr. White for compiling this list.  I
think that a special FAQ should be created for safety related information.

I also would recommend to everyone to get a copy of the material safety
date sheet (MSDS) for all of the chemicals that they buy.  By law a
supplier has to supply a MSDS if requested for every chemical they sell.
This includes your local hardware store.  I think the hardware store
has 30 days to get it for you.

Example.  I bought some pickling solution by mail order and got a MSDS
with it (I asked for it).  Pickling solution is an acid and we all know
how to handle acids "right".  The  solution I had would break down into
a toxic gas if heated to several hundred degrees, this  I learned from
the MSDS, not the label on the can.  I now know not to use the pickling
solution for quenching, a thought that had crossed my mind because the
pickling solution is intended to remove the scales from quenching.

You can also get MSDS's for matels.  It was from a MSDS that I learned
that titanium would burn.

I would also like to recommend to everyone with a work shop to install
a phone.  If something goes wrong,(the odds are that you are alone),
you can call for help (911) before passing out.

I hope that this information saves someone some "pain".

Vince Iorio