Subject: Alloy w/ Gold ?

From: [email-masked] (Eric Perozziello)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 20:21:31 GMT

Does anyone out there know of a material (metal or the like) 
that does NOT alloy with gold?   We are (trying to) use this for a 
semiconductor processing step, and we are having trouble finding
such a metal.

Thanks!
-Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 17:46:38 -0800

>semiconductor processing step, and we are having trouble finding

All metals will disolve in each other when they are all melted together.  
You don't say whether you are trying to melt gold and want to keep it 
pure, or dope molten gold with a solid material.  You would have to give 
more info - this might be propriatory, so I understand why you might not 
want to.  If you want a metal with a much higher melting point than gold, 
you can try iridium or osmium, the two highest melting point metals.  
These may or may not be available in sheet form, but are available in 
wire form.  They are nearly impervious to desolution in acids, etc., 
except by reverse electroplating, so to speak.  I've done that with 
iridium wire to make standard solutions.

JerryK