Subject: Measuring instrument confusion

From: [email-masked] (Barry Wolinetz)
Date: 15 Sep 94 11:29:33 -0700

I  am in the market for some calipers and a dial indicator. I admit that
I am a pretty rank beginner at machine shop work and need an explanation about
the different types of calipers/indicators.

What is the difference between a balanced and continuous reading dial 
caliper?  Which is better?  Why?
 
Would a vernier caliper be better for a beginner?

What does the group indication for dial indicators mean?  What is the
difference  between group 1, group 2 and A.G.D.  Why would I want one over
 the other?

I realize that theses are pretty naive questions, but I can't think of
a better group to ask!

E-mail ok and I can post a summary if there is enough interest, or posts
good too!

Thanks in advance; 

Barry Wolinetz
The Northern Trust co
Chicago, Il