Subject: What is steel made of?

From: [email-masked] (G.O. Jensen)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 95 23:14:00 GMT

I would like some one to give me the "exact" mix of metals that go into the making
of steel. I think 90% is iron, but I need the rest, and a bit more specific. What is the
density of steel?

Also I'd like to know the ingridients in 24K and 18K gold and their densities as well.

And if anyone can give me the mix of metals in bronze and tin and their densities I'd
be rather happy... Thanks!

G.O. Jensen
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 95 07:06:40 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>be rather happy... Thanks!

There is a book called the "Materials Handbook" which has the answers to all
these questions. Your local library can also help. In brief, steel is just
iron, with a little bit of carbon in it. Depending on the *kind* of steel, 
there may be other metals such as nickel, molybdenum, chromium or tungsten in
it. The gold alloys are gold with copper or tin added. 24K gold is pure...no
alloying metals. You really should look this stuff up, though....check your
local library.

[email-masked]
Mark G. Forbes
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be blamed on the engineer."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 08:45:54 PDT

> of steel. I think 90% is iron, but I need the rest, and a bit more specific. 
What is the

Steel is Iron plus a small amount of carbon.  What is generally called 'mild 
steel' has around .10% to .20% carbon.  The (ANSI?) designation scheme for 
ferrous metals indicates the type of steel/steel alloy and the major alloying 
ingrediant.  The 10xx series is carbon steel.  1010 is steel with .10 percent 
carbon.  1020 is steel with .20% carbon.  Any combination of iron and more than 
about 2.5% carbon is usually refered to as cast iron.  The carbon in steel 
increases its strength and hardness.

Alloy steels have small amounts of other metals added.  Stainless steel has a 
fair percentage of chromium added.  The so called 'chromolly' (41xx/43xx 
series) steels have chromium and molebdenum (sp?) added.

Not sure about precious metals...

Joe