Subject: Cleaning out Water Jacket

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 19:50:44

I have an antique engine (1908 Gray type S, 1 cyl, 3hp) which I have been 
using is salt water for several years. I have now built a keel cooler so I can 
convert to a fresh water cooled system next season.

This winter I want to do a thorough job of cleaning out the water jacket. It 
seems to me the best approach is to rig a tank and small electric pump and 
circulate some cleaner through the jacket. I could let it run all winter if 
needed, no big hurry.

Question is, what solution should I circulate?

1) Ive heard of vinegar to clean rustly tools. 

2) I could use a caustic soda- Lye? Drano?

3) I could buy a commercial radiator flush from an auto parts place.

I am sure the jacket contains both rust and whatever salt water leaves behind. 
I have heard of old salt water engines 'having salt in the pores of the 
casting' that is impossible to remove. will a long flush get rid of it?

Any advice?

ron ginger
Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger