Subject: RE: Americana - selling

From: [email-masked] (Darrell Markewitz)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 13:45:42 GMT

Emily Breed was commenting on a ad run for reporduction work - and
wether it is appropriate to see it on this ( or other) newsgroups.

So - being a very new member of the internet community - i'd like some
advice!

If you have a unique service or product to offer - how DO you reach an
audiance using the newsgroups. If you run the ad under the 'buy and
sell' newsgroups, you will problably NOT reach the people you are
looking for.

For example - I too am looking for wrought iron in small size bars for
historical reproduction work - pattern welding. If some one out there
had some to sell - i sure would like them to place an ad on this
newsgroup!

I recently posted an ad for an instructional video I made up (note that
I AM NOT SAYING WHAT IT IS )  :)
The tape is only real of interest to metalworkers or historical
re-enactors. Is it wrong to post such an ad?

I suspect that what is concidered appropriate will vary by group and by
individual example.

I don't have any problem with ads for stuff that I WANT. But then, I
don't pay 'buy the line' or even long distance charges!

Darrell

the WAREHAM FORGE
Hamlet of Wareham
RR #2, Proton Stn
Ont, CDN -  N0C 1L0
(519) 923- 9219
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 22 Dec 94 14:59:04 MST

"Advertisements".  Hmm, never an easy topic.

Of course, this is Usenet, and there are no laws, just guidelines,
and enforcement is mostly by peer pressure.  As you observe, it
varies from one newsgroup to the next.  To begin with, one can make
some generalizations --

1.  Posting an item, whether and advertisement or not, to a large number
    of groups, especially if unrelated to the item, is a large no-no.
    I know this isn't what you were thinking of, but I thought it should
    be stated for completeness.  In several such cases in the past, the
    poster has been kicked off their system and denied future service,
    and in one recent case I heard prosecution was planned (don't know
    for what; breach of contract?).
2.  Repeated postings are considered bad taste.  For example, daily or
    weekly (or perhaps even monthly) items "On sale this week!!!!" are
    probably not appropriate.
3.  Postings inappropriate for the group, or of a shady nature would not
    be welcome ("Hey, I have Hardinge lathe thingy, real cheap, meet me
    behind the high school with a truck tonight and bring cash" :-)

OK, these don't spell out what *is* appropriate.  Again, it is tough to
get very detailed.  Some ideas:

1.  If you hang out in the newsgroup, and keep the ad low-key and short,
    pointing out the relevance, that's a very good start.
2.  It is considered impolite to "post blindly" meaning to post a message
    to a newsgroup you don't read ("Please reply by e-mail as I don't
    read this group").  On the other hand, replies to an ad probably
    should be done via e-mail.  In other words, a blind ad is unkind,
    but so is conducting business over the newsgroup.  The advertisor
    *should* be a reader of the group.
3.  If you want more-or-less continuous coverage, I might suggest dropping
    me a note to add to the FAQ.  Not quite the same coverage since not
    everybody reads the FAQ, especially each month, but it beats posting
    the same ad over and over again.
4.  If a discussion comes up where your product might be relevant, a quick
    post to that effect would seem OK (e.g. "Bob asks about finding wrought
    Iron.  I'm the only living dealer left, and have tons.  Call me at
    555-1212 and maybe I have what you need").

As I said, Usenet is an anarchy, and these are just my impressions.
Nobody is "in charge" of an unmoderated newsgroup.

Other ideas/suggestions welcome.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Vince Miller)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 13:45:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin) writes:

Over in rec.ww there has been a lot of heat about similar probs.  There the 
big issue is that there are many used/classic tool dealers dying to get 
online and hawk their wares.  One answer proposed there was that aside from 
private, related classified type adds, more commercial ventures (like a semi-
pro tool dealer) should only be accepted from people who participate 
actively in the group.  Thus, they have more to lose than free advertising 
if they get out of line (like posting dayly specials etc).  

Vince

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 22 Dec 1994 18:07:12 -0800

>sell' newsgroups, you will problably NOT reach the people you are

I think that you have the opportunity in the "Subject" line to say 
"Advert, metalworking video for sale"  or "Advert, Bridgeport, wanted".  
It makes sense to me to give a very specific notice on the Subject line so 
that those not interested can pass it by.  I do not read buy & sell 
newsgroups so would never see something of interest to me in metalworking 
unless it were posted here.

>I suspect that what is concidered appropriate will vary by group and by

I agree and responses may tell you the concensus.

>don't pay 'buy the line' or even long distance charges!

I don't either, so we are in the same economic boat, so to speak.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 22 Dec 1994 18:10:48 -0800

>Other ideas/suggestions welcome.

I agree, especially about the unrelated adverts.  

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph R. Landau)
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 05:55:53 GMT

>re-enactors. Is it wrong to post such an ad?

My vote is in favor of allowing ads that notify us that something
we wouldn't otherwise know about.  Using the word AD in the subject
is a good idea.

Incidentally, I am now enjoying Darrell's tape--it's on
blacksmithing.

--
Joseph R. Landau                       Internet:[email-masked]
Applied Software Technology                         (408) 370-2662
591 W. Hamilton Ave., #201
Campbell, CA 95008  USA                             Even Jove Nods