Subject: Galvanized mesh: questions!!

From: [email-masked] (Cathy Quinones)
Date: 27 Sep 1994 17:35:29 GMT

Please note this message is cross-posted; reply accordingly or direct
answers to my account.

I need some info on the galvanized, welded wire mesh that is commonly
sold at hardware stores.  This type of mesh is often used to build cages
for pet rodents and pet birds.  My understanding of the process (right
off Webster's dictionary) is that a metal is covered with another metal,
in the case of mesh, steel is covered with zinc to prevent/retard 
rusting, right?

Since lead is toxic, it is NOT recommended that soldered wire mesh be used
in builiding pet cages (in particular, for pets who have a tendency to 
chew on their surroundings, as do pet rodents and parrots, and who may
ingest the lead solder).  Unfortunately, there are also reports in the
veterinary literature of zinc poisoning ("Poisonings with metals such as 
lead and zinc occur in companion birds as a result of poor husbandry. 
Paints that contain lead, the galvanizing on some types of wire mesh,
and the solder used in some welded bird meshes are all possible sources of
toxic heavy metals.").

My questions are:

1. Is zinc the only metal used in galvanizing?

2. If not, what other metals are used?

3. Is it possible to test mesh for zinc content (I know there are lead-
testing kits sold in hardware stores, is there an equivalent for zinc)?

4. Can this testing be done visually? If not, please explain process.

I would be VERY thankful for all input.  Heavy metal poisoning [bad music
aside] can be lethal, treatment can be very costly, and pets may not fully
recover.  Like I said, the use of galvanized wire mesh is common,  I
currently have pet parrots living in galvanized mesh cages, an am concerned
about their health.

-- 
 ////////// //////  //     \\\ ~                    //////////////////
////// /\_/\_____   \\  /// [email-masked] ///////////////
 ///// \"."/      \_//     ///                    ////////////////////
//////////////// "Gravity is a harsh mistress." -The Tick ///////////

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Merritt)
Date: 27 Sep 1994 21:08:30 GMT

>in the case of mesh, steel is covered with zinc to prevent/retard 

Hi, there;

My wife and I own a bird, but also an iguana. I'm currently searching for 
a bigger iguana cage, and have discovered places that use a plastic coated
mesh. The coating is, I believe, a standard PVC plastic. 

This stuff is expensive. And it can be hard to find, and difficult to
buy in small lots. But since you are so concerned, I suspect that you 
probably would be willing to spend the extra money. I'm doing it because
it is easier on the iguana's nose. :-)

If you cannot find a supply locally, you might be able to get advice from
one of the companies that advertise custom cages in Reptiles magazine. I 
know of a few companies, since I'm looking around. I could give you their
names and phone numbers if it would be helpful.

-Don

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Matt Conlon)
Date: 29 Sep 1994 16:20:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Cathy
Quinones) wrote:

> sold at hardware stores...

I'm sorry I can't help you much with info on galvanizing (see
rec.crafts.metalworking?), but you may be able to find stainless mesh if
you want to start over. We got some that is a decent size for 'tiels at a
scrap metal yard that had it as surplus. The kind of mesh you've got now is
very likely soldered - heavier gage/non-woven galvanized mesh is welded.
Good luck.

Matt

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 07:49:41 -0400

> 1. Is zinc the only metal used in galvanizing?

Yes, by definition.  The only other metal coating (other than the plastic
mentionend by another poster) that comes to mind is chrome plating, but
chromium is a toxic metal as well.

> testing kits sold in hardware stores, is there an equivalent for zinc)?

If it looks sort of greyish, not shiny (or rusty), it's probably
galvanized.  Galvanized also fizzes more vigorously in dilute hydrochloric
acid than plain steel wire.  The coating on galvanized wire is pretty much
pure zinc, so zinc _content_ is a bit irrelevant.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."