Subject: Ron Hock's Tool Steel Rap

From: [email-masked] (Ron Hock)
Date: 27 Jan 1995 20:54:39 GMT

For those who don’t know, we make blades for planes, spokeshaves, and
a few other things. I’ve been reading and participating lightly in the
rec.woodworking and rec.metalworking groups for a couple of months.  
My presence has generated a fair amount of email requests for brochures 
(thanks all), requests that have frequently been accompanied by questions 
regarding tool steel.  Our brochure has a fairly succinct chat about 
steel and at the urging of several of my new correspondents I present 
it here:

"ABOUT STEEL

	The three qualities that most effect the selection of a steel 
for hand-tool application are edge-holding, sharpenability, and corrosion-
resistance.  For metallurgical reasons, you can only have two of the 
three.  We at HOCK HANDMADE feel that in woodworking, corrosion-resistance
is the least important of the three, and prefer an edge that is easily 
sharpened and long lasting.
	A steel’s carbon content determines its ability to harden with 
heat treatment.  That hardness determines a tool’s ability to hold a 
sharp cutting edge under abrasive pressure (wear).  Generally, the 
harder the metal the better its edge holding, but it will be more 
brittle.  Tempering reduces that brittleness, although it also reduces 
the tool’s hardness and wear resistance.  So a balance must be struck 
to decide how hard a blade should be.  Our blades are hardened to Rc62 
for long edge life.  This is harder than most available replacement 
blades yet not as hard or brittle as most Japanese blades.  
	"Tool Steel" refers to a class of steels that are metallurgically 
very "clean" and fall within strict limits for alloy proportions.  
Vanadium, tungsten, and molybdenum are often added to tool steels to 
make the steel resist annealing (softening) when used in "high-speed" 
(high heat) applications.  Chromium is added in very large quantities 
for corrosion resistance ("stainless").  High-speed steels are essential 
in metal-working tools (drills, milling cutters,  etc.) and "stainless" 
steels can be cost effective by resisting rust during the manufacture, 
shipping, and storage of the tool itself.  Correctly heat-treated, tools 
made from high-speed, stainless, and "chrome-vanadium" steels may hold 
an edge well in woodworking applications, but, due to the large, hard 
carbide particles that form during hardening, they are difficult to 
sharpen and cannot be honed as sharply as a blade of plain high-carbon 
steel.  Our choice of High-Carbon Tool-Steel (.95% Carbon) offers the 
finest, sharpest edge possible.  Its chromium and vanadium additions 
amount to only 1/2% each allowing quick, clean honing with traditional 
techniques.  High-carbon steel holds and takes an edge better than 
anything else.  We guarantee it."
	
	Send your snailmail address for a copy of our brochure.  Thanks.

	-- Ron Hock ([email-masked])   Hock Handmade Knives