Subject: Re: Metal Casting Plaster

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 16:57:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (ngs) writes:

>I am forwarding this message as the administrator of the HENSA Unix Archive. 
>Please do not reply to me but to [email-masked]

> - - - - - - - - - -
>I could use your help 
>I'm trying to do small sculptural castings of objects 2 to 4 inches in
>overall height, similiar to toy soldiers. I have several references which
>show the techniques of mold making but do not address the use of hot
>materials (ie lead) as a final form. I was able to find the metal casting
>plaster but have had many problems with it:
>- It's extremley fragile, breaks and flakes.
>- Cracks when prssure is applied. I even had a mold crack today when it had
>only been poured a minute prior, I literally watched it as a crack simply
>appeared down the center of the plaster( I guess it dried too quickly).
>- It is not at all flexible and will not tolerate any undercuts at  all. 

>I am hoping that there is a material that is more synthetic that can take the
>heat, has some flexibility and will allow me to make several castings from
>that same mold.

>Please let me know if you have a solution.

>Brad O. ( KEMBO@AOL)
> - - - - - - - - - -

It sounds to me like you are using too much water in your mix. Start with 
the water in your mixing container and sprinkle the dry plaster on top  
a little at a time .Let it become wet and sink. Keep adding the dry power 
like this. At some point the plaster will remain dry on top and you should 
mix it. This is kind of a matter of experience. 

hope this helps, Ron

Ron Thompson                      |     Internet:  [email-masked]
Psychology Dept.                  |     Voice:     904-644-5563
Florida State University          |     FAX:       904-644-7739
Tallahassee,  FL 32306-1051       |     Amateur Radio N4FHO

---

From: [email-masked] (ngs)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 14:49:39 GMT

- - - - - - - - - -
I could use your help 

Brad O. ( KEMBO@AOL)
 - - - - - - - - - -