Subject: Re: Where can I get foundry sand?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 05:22:15 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (RPCoyle) writes: 

>
>I am setting up a small foundry here in Santa Cruz to do mostly brass 
and
>aluminum sand castings for historic restoration work. Need to fingd a
>source near here. I have been getting sand from a company back east but
>would like to find a local source if possible. Any ideas?
>                                                           Thanks   
>                                                           Bob Coyle
>
>

Try contacting South Bay Bronze/Sand Fire & Imagination Galler in San 
Jose  (408) 947-0607.  They cast bells (ding-dong).

mike

---

From: [email-masked] (RPCoyle)
Date: 6 Feb 1995 23:40:57 -0500

I am setting up a small foundry here in Santa Cruz to do mostly brass and
aluminum sand castings for historic restoration work. Need to fingd a
source near here. I have been getting sand from a company back east but
would like to find a local source if possible. Any ideas?
                                                           Thanks   
                                                           Bob Coyle

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 16:31:58 -0800

>would like to find a local source if possible. Any ideas?

There's that place in San Leandro that sells foundry supplies.  When I 
was there they had castable refractory, crucibles, sand, shell molding 
stuff, lost wax type molding refractory that you add water to to make a 
coating - can't think of the name but you know it - and silica dusting 
stuff plus other items.

So now I have my Oakland-San Leandro phone book and find three places in 
San Leandro.  The one I think I went to is:

Industrial and Foundry Supply - A Division of Porter Warner Industries
8707 San Leandro - 510-633-2133.  I think this is the place frequently 
quoted on this news group.  They do have good stock, knowledgeable 
people, and will provide you with an MSDS.

JerryK