Subject: Whitworth thread..history?

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Healey)
Date: 8 Feb 1995 05:46:27 GMT

Hello all,

This may be off base for this group, but could some kind (older?) resident
of the UK explain the story behind BSW and BSF threads (is there one?) and
how the named spanner (wrench) size is related to either the nominal bolt size
and/or the bolthead/nut size. I checked it and there is no linear
correspondence, so how did these spanner "sizes" originate? Just curious!

cheers,

Andrew
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrew Healey
email: [email-masked]  
The Bancroft Centre, Queensland Institute of Medical Research
300 Herston Road, Brisbane, AUSTRALIA 4029
   
Sybil:  No! I cannot abide cruelty to living creatures.
Basil:  Well, I'm a creature. You can abide it to me.
Sybil:  You're not living.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~