Subject: Another Step Drilling Problem

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: 24 Jan 1995 21:42:36 GMT

--I have a need for some non-standard step-drills and I'm 
wondering if anyone can suggest a source. So far the companys I've 
contacted want a minimum order of six of *each* size, which gets expensive 
in a hurry. Is there a co. out there that can make me one of each size (6 
*sizes* required) without breaking the bank??
	Thanx,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 25 Jan 1995 17:10:31 GMT

>*sizes* required) without breaking the bank??

Ed,

Step drills are so simple, you could make them from HSS with just a 
lathe if necessary.  Given the outrageous price they want for these, I 
will probably make any more that I need.

I'd follow the tempering directions given for any milling cutter, etc.

Best,

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (John Barnwell)
Date: 27 Jan 1995 04:31:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] ([email-masked]) says:
>*sizes* required) without breaking the bank??   ^
>        Thanx,                                  |
                                                 |
what sizes do you want that you would need them made??

Most places will sell singles if you go there or order from the more
expensive lines like fully ground as opposed to Import forged.
these are not really that much more .

Besides how big of a hole are making that you need 6 step drills.

If you need only one hole or so why not bore it after pushing a 1/2"
drill thru to get started or if it is realy big and you want lots of them
use spade bits which are sort of like boring with 2 sides or use a hole
saw approach (trepanning) this way you also get washers for smaller holes
as a bonus :-) amd a lot fewer chips to clean up