Subject: Re: Babbit metal

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Clark)
Date: 22 Jan 1995 23:21:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Matt Boggs) says:
>
>I am in the process of restoring a 1 cylinder IC engine made by an outfit
>in Kansas City called "MECO" (Manufacturer's Engine Company). This unit
>is a 2 HP engine that was used for backup power on a windmill and dates from
>about the WWI era (from the best that I can tell).
>
>I am having some difficulty finding a source for Babbit material -- can anyone
>provide an address for a supplier???? Thanks a lot.

You can alloy your own babbit.
The percentages of material are available in older
issues of Machinerys Handbook.
In our engine club here in Phoenix, AZ we have members 
who do rebabbiting of bearings. You might try contacting
the clubs in your area or the Antique Ford (T's and A's)
clubs. They all need babbit work on their projects and might 
have a source. I've found Babbit at my local scrap yard in 
ingot form several times and buy it whenever it is there.

*********************************************************
Feeling like a road kill on the Information Superhighway!
*********************************************************
[email-masked]               [email-masked]*
*********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 22 Jan 1995 20:26:14 -0500

Just go to an auto junk yard or engine overhaul shop and ask for old crank
shaft bearings.   They are babit and are one of the first things replaced
in a major rebuild.      The stuff is easy to melt and cast.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 22 Jan 95 23:35:02 MST

According to previous discussions, babbit is available from McMaster-Carr:

  McMaster-Carr Supply Company
  PO Box 440
  New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0440
  (908) 329-3200

Also Centaur Forge:

   -  Centaur Forge Ltd.
      P.O. Box 340
      117 N. Spring Street
      Burlington, WI  53105
      (414) 763-9175, (414) 763-8350 (FAX)

There was a discussion here last June on pouring techniques.  The 1994
archive is available by ftp from plains.uwyo.edu in the Metal directory.
So's the FAQ, fyi.  Note Plains is down on early Sunday mornings, and
early Monday mornings, USA Mountain Time.  Grab the file and search for
the word "babbit".

This too, though San Jose's a bit distant from New Mexico:

  Babbit Bearing in San Jose CA does this kind of work, you can find them
  through 408 directory assistance.  You might also look in the ads in
  Hemming's Motor News, a magazine with old car ads, people that redo
  babbit bearings for old cars advertise there.  Good luck.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Barnwell)
Date: 24 Jan 1995 03:36:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Matt Boggs) says:
>provide an address for a supplier???? Thanks a lot

The only place I have seen it is in McMaster Carr supply co. po box 440
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0440 ph 201-329-3200

5 types of babbit metal both lead based and tin based  priced anywhere
>from  $15 for 4.5 LBS for lead base to $60 for 4.5 lbs for tin base

They claim the tin based babbit is for high load use and the lead based
is for not so heavy loads.

The line for their lead based "General purpose Babbit" is for
light saw mills automobile axles, hoisting machinery, drive shafts...
Part # for this is 8899K11 

I would imagine that for a 2 horse 1900 era motor whic has pretty large
bearing surfaces that the lead based would be just fine.