Subject: Re: Tube bending

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 9 Feb 95 08:15:32 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
|>Hi Pete, did you get any reply or advise?  I, too, am looking to buy the same
|>bender.  I like to bend 2" tubing.  Thanks

Did you (both) miss my reply on 26-Jan?:

Believe it or not, there is a company here in Laramie Wyoming.
Strange name of Lock Down Security, 605 S. Adams, Laramie WY 82070,
(307) 742-7887.  They make a tubing bender that their brochure shows
working on box tubing.  Saw the brochure at the local metal salvage
yard.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Ulf Jonsson)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 21:19:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Pete Bellas) wrote:

> My son is trying to convince me to build a gokart and since I love to
> take on new challenges I may take him up on it. I would be using 1"
> mild steel tubing, probably .083 or .095 wall. 

I would guess that they use SAE 4130 tubing in Go-Kart. (Cr-Mo Steel, same
as in tube-rag aircrafts)
A source on how to bend and weld 4130 is EAA's book Aircraft welding EAA's
number is 414-426-4800. Tubing for Go-Karts might be much thicker. But In
the book they describes the use of hand benders(sorry no hydraulics).

Godd practice for next project, Building a full scale plane:-)

Good luck with the project.

Ulf

PS:1" 4130 tubing A/C quality .065 wall is $3,17/ft, .095 is $3,79/ft 

Source: Aircraft Spruce & Speciality company, Fullerton CA

								Customer service 714-870-7315

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 16:54:13 GMT

My son is trying to convince me to build a gokart and since I love to
take on new challenges I may take him up on it. I would be using 1"
mild steel tubing, probably .083 or .095 wall. Does anyone know if
you can bend this with one of the hydraulic tube benders, like the
one advertised in Northern Hydraulic. They are basically a 12 ton
bottle jack with a set of interchangable mandrels from 1/2" to 2"
and run about $100 (any excuse to get a new tool :-).

Thanks.

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 16:41:16 -0500

Hi Pete, did you get any reply or advise?  I, too, am looking to buy the same
bender.  I like to bend 2" tubing.  Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (gregor)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 14:11:46 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(JLenander) wrote:

 The
> key for bending any tubing that is used in structural applications is not
> wrinkling or collapsing the cross section of the tube in the bend. This
> requires a bender with mandrels fit to your tubing shape and size on both
> the inner and outer sides of the bend. Used to be only Greenlee and
> Hossfeld made these things and they cost at least a grand(with 1 die!!).
> Now the good news- In the last 5 years a few enterprising souls have
> entered the market with high quality lower priced units... etc....

I can't remember where I got this tip, but I've been looking for an excuse
to use it sometime. I heard that you can bend tubing with simple jigs,
without crinkling, by filling the tubing with sand. Maybe some of you can
try it out, and post the results.

 Cheers.          greg

-- 

*********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 22 Feb 95 08:29:17 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jim Frame) writes:
|>[email-masked] (J. Kimberlin) wrote:
|>>>
|>>I've tried sand and it works.  Fine sand is better.  Also useful is
|>>Wood's Metal or Cerrobend.
|>
|>Where can one buy either of these metals, and are they expensive?  If
|>they're not commonly available, can someone suggest a mail-order
|>source?

I don't believe they are terribly expensive but can't remember the exact
cost (of course I read my news at work and my catalogs are at home!).

One source would be:

   -  Brownells
      Route 2 Box 1
      200 South Front Street
      Montezuma, Iowa, 50171
      (515) 623-5401, (515) 623-3896 (FAX)

      Brownells is a fine firm that specializes in gunsmithing, though
      a lot of their merchandise is great for general-purpose metalworking.
      Catalog is $4.00, refundable with first order of $40 or more

One of the alloys is used to make chamber castings.  This particluar
alloy has the neat property of solidifying, then shrinking slightly to
facilitate removal, then later it re-expands back to original size which
is when you measure it.  This is over the course of an hour or two, and
of course the percentage of shrink/expand is a bit small, but it helps.

Other alloys of this sort have other shrink/expand characteristics that
suit particular applications.

Another source would probably be:

   -  MSC Industrial Supply Co.
      151 Sunnyside Blvd
      Plainview, NY  11803
      (800) 645-7270 (AT&T), (800) 753-7900 (MCI), (800) 255-5067 FAX

      Their 94/95 catalog is 2298 pages, and their selection has been
      described as "dumbfounding".  They claim same-day shipping and seem
      to meet this goal.  There are a few areas (e.g. welding) where their
      selection is small or nothing.  (NOTE: as of 1995 they do have a
      separate 250-page welding catalog; call (800) 500-1009).

Jim