Subject: Re: memory metal

From: [email-masked] (Bill Webster)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 08:35:03 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

> Does anyone know what the real name and composition of this stuff is?
> Seems to me I've heard it called Niconnel but I don't recall exactly.
> 
> Does anyone have any experiance with this material?
> Particularily interested in "muscle" it can be used for. 
> Apparently there is a kit you can get of a butterfly (hanging mobile) that
> flaps its wings?
> 
> How about sources?
> 
> Anyhow thanks in advace
> 
> Henry

I've seen this stuff advertized as Muscle Wire and under another name
which I don't recall.  And, it's expensive!

I saw an ad in Radio Electronics (2 years ago) for this stuff.  It came as
a kit with various lengths and gauges.  The wire could be bent to shape
and then re-shapped with a current passed thru the wire.

I'll try to remember to bring in the name of the advertisement and post it
for you.  If you send me e-mail with a fax number, I could fax the ad to you.

regards,
Bill  [email-masked]

-- 
Bill Webster ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Schaible)
Date: 18 Jan 95 21:21:24 GMT

>Seems to me I've heard it called Niconnel but I don't recall exactly.

<snip>

>How about sources?

I think I have seen the stuff in the Edmund Scientific catalog, but in 
relatively short lengths, and at relatively high prices.  Someone else
can probably post a better source.

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry Kroker)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 04:16:14 GMT

How about sources?

Anyhow thanks in advace

Henry

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 06:12:28 GMT

Nitonol, from Small Parts, .005 t0 .020 roughly, $5.00 to $10.00
a foot in small quantities; Permanent memory at 400 degrees or so,
bend at room temp, springs to memorized shape at body temp
[assuming the usual stuff about warm-blooded bodies..]
/Mark

Henry Kroker ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Does anyone know what the real name and composition of this stuff is?
: Seems to me I've heard it called Niconnel but I don't recall exactly.

: Does anyone have any experiance with this material?
: Particularily interested in "muscle" it can be used for. 
: Apparently there is a kit you can get of a butterfly (hanging mobile) that
: flaps its wings?

: How about sources?

: Anyhow thanks in advace

: Henry

---

From: Storm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 19:06:21 -0700

> Apparently there is a kit you can get of a butterfly (hanging mobile) that
Nickle, Titanium and Aluminum (I think). 
Kennric

---

From: [email-masked] (jim janecek)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 07:45:21 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>,

> >Seems to me I've heard it called Niconnel but I don't recall exactly.

Make sure you read the post by Ron Thompson below about "Muscle Wires"
It's available from Mondo-Tronics and they make and sell the kits to do
the stuff you describe.  The stuff they sell is apparently a better
formulation than the original Nitinol shape memory alloy.