Subject: Forming Sheet Metal - Need Books/info

From: [email-masked] (Eric A. Beatty)
Date: 21 Oct 1994 02:30:19 GMT

Greetings!

I'm looking for information on forming sheet metal for a class I'm 
teaching at the community college where I teach mechanical drafting and 
AutoCAD.  I was hoping that you folks could steer me towards some books 
or other information on the subject.  The previous instructor left me 
little in the way of materials to draw upon and I'm in somewhat of a hard 
spot here.  The focus of the class is sheet metal drafting/design for 
electrical/electronics applications (component chassis, brackets, 
housings, etc.) not HVAC.  I need info on forming processes (brake 
presses, hydropresses, stampings, etc.  Any help that you all could give 
me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Eric A. Beatty

---

From: [email-masked] (SCHAIBLE BRIAN ROBERT)
Date: 21 Oct 94 18:17:35 GMT

There is a series of books available in many libraries that are published by 
the American Society of Metals, or the American Metal Society, can't remember
which right now.  Anyway, this is about a ten volume set called the "Metals
Handbook"  In this handbook is information on every commercial metal working
process known to man from machining, forming, casting, cleaning, finishing,
heat treating, analyzing, etc.  I believe there is one volume devoted to
processes for sheet goods.  This set should be of help to you.

Brian

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Dugan)
Date: 21 Oct 1994 14:14:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Eric A. Beatty) writes:
|> Greetings!
|> 
|> I'm looking for information on forming sheet metal for a class I'm 
|> teaching at the community college where I teach mechanical drafting and 
|> AutoCAD. 
(snip)
|> 
|> Thanx!
|> 
|> Eric A. Beatty

Lindsay Publications (815-935-5353) has :

"Working Sheet Metal" by Dave Gingery (Cat # 1334)

However, the description says the book is more for DIYers - "No instruction
in using pressbrakes, leaf brakes, slip-rolls, bar-folders, turning machines,
edgers, crimpers, lockformers, or any of the commercially built equipment
found in commercial shops." ... "this book shows you how to do the work
without machines" so it may not be the best if you're teaching towards
professionals-to-be.

							Tom

-- 
Tom Dugan - Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC	[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Pelelo <pelelom@quest>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 22:28:37 -700 (PDT)

A good book to look into is Tool Design, 3rd edition; by Donaldson, 
Lecain, Goold. Published by Glencoe. Tom Helzer, an instructor at WITCC, 
uses this book in his curriculum.
Also, speaking as a journeyman sheet-metal mechanic, a good source of 
info is the Apprentice Workbooks 1-4, which are produced by the National 
Training Fund of the Sheet Metal Workers International Association, but 
this material isn't available to the general public.

Michael A. Pelelo
[email-masked]
4436 Van Buren, Sioux City, Ia. 51038
"There were a lot of things they didn't tell me 
when I signed on with this outfit."