Subject: Breakthrough!! CCNC

From: [email-masked] (Dan Mauch)
Date: 25 Dec 1994 06:54:06 -0800

For those of you following my work with Cimple Computer Numerical Control
(CCNC), you will be pleaased to hear that my new engraving machine can 
take HP-GL files now and engrave/cut/rout the shape out. More 
specifically, I can now load clip-art or bitmapped images into a program, 
convert the bitmap to a vectorized HP-GL file then load it into the cam 
program I am using and then engrave the object to what ever dept I want.
It is fast, Cimple and easy. If you run a program and save a file you can 
run my system. No programming is required nor are any longwinded data files.
	Salient features of the set up are:
	1.It uses a modified 18X6 chinese junk type mill table that was 
transformed into a precision machine. The mill/drill table sells for $169 
at Enco. The travel is 11.5X7.5. The table has Tee slots for holddown and 
weights 56 lbs. The table is driven by 53 oz inch stepper motors that are 
connected to the leadscrew via timing belts and pulleys. The whole table 
is mounted on a piece of 8 inch aluminum channel about 26 inches long. 
The 1/4HP die grinder is mounted on 1 1/2 inch pipe that is connected 
like this:

          |
          |
----------|
|   |
|   |
-   -
Not including the die grinder or computer or programs, the machine only 
cost  me about $300 to put together. Since I have my own controller and 
stepper motors my cost was significantly less that what  it would cost 
someone to duplicate my machine. It could be done for under 1K tho.
	I have never engraved metal so I will have to learn about cutters 
and things like that, but so far the results in would are very promising.
Round, eliptical, curved or other shapes are a piece of cake for the 
machine and lost  importantly in only take a few secongs once the design 
is finished to load the file into the shop computer are start making chips!
I know the wood butchers would love to have something like this. Too bad 
there isn't a Internet Forum for them. I'd love to share this with them too.
/s

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 25 Dec 1994 18:05:06 GMT

>The 1/4HP die grinder is mounted on 1 1/2 inch pipe that is connected 

There is a woodworkers forum (or two, or three).

Please post your work if you would like to share it.  Perhaps we can store your
efforts in a FAQ at plains.uwyo.edu?  I would be interested in duplicating your
system.  What about Z axis?  Did you take a look at the $600 XYZ system that one
can find in the back of the amateur metalworking books?  e.g. Projects in Metal, 
Home Shop Machinist

Thanks for the note
Mike