Subject: Perkins Spring Making Machine- any clues?

From: [email-masked] (Drew Diamond)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:04:52

A workmate here has acquired a neat little spring making machine. It is marked:

HA-1 PPF, and was made by the Perkins Machine & Gear Co. West Springfield 
Mass. (why does Springfield ring a bell?... Uh- oh well).

Would appreciate any information which may be available. Is this Co. still in 
business?

Kind Regards, and Thanks.

Drew Diamond. Telecom Australia Research Laboratories.

---

From: [email-masked] (W. Kaiser)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 15:39:42 GMT

> Mass. (why does Springfield ring a bell?... Uh- oh well).

The bell could be the Springfield Armory and Springfield rifle.

> Would appreciate any information which may be available. Is this Co. still in 

I'm just up the road from West Springfield, so I did a little looking.
They're not listed in the current phone directory.  I tried the Greater
Springfield Chamber of Commerce and talked with one of the old timers
there, and he hadn't heard of the company.  He mentioned a Perkins Company
in Holyoke (near Springfield) that did machine work for the paper mills

there, but they don't seem to exist, either.  I found a Perkins Machine
Co. listed in a 1981 Thomas Register.  That wouldn't be an inconceivably
far move from Springfield.  I got no answer when I called their phone
number, and they aren't listed in the current directory. 

So, my guess is that the company is out of business.

--
Bill Kaiser
[email-masked]

There are three ways to do a job: good, cheap, and quick.
You can have any two.
A good, cheap job won't be quick.
A good, quick job won't be cheap.
A cheap, quick job won't be good.