Subject: Re: Japanese Sword Stuff

From: [email-masked] (Carl Mork)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 19:58:00 GMT

to: [email-masked]
 -=> Quoting Robert M Van Rens to All <=-

 RMVR> I am afraid that I do not read kanji over the Net, so I have
 RMVR> absolutely no idea what the markings on the hilt mean...however, if it
 RMVR> is really an Imperial Chrysanthymum (five lobed petals, I think, or was
 RMVR> it seven?  I forget, and don't have the book right here), then it quite
 RMVR> possibly belonged to a member of the Imperial Family, or a favorite of
 RMVR> them...but I do not claim to know all, or even close to all, about the
 RMVR> markings...I am a blacksmith, not an appraiser.  I do know that if the
 RMVR> hilt is stamped, then it is the work of an acknowledged master. 
 RMVR> Gendaito (New Style Swords), pre-WWII, are fairly valuable, but nobody
 RMVR> knew this at the time of the surrender.  That is why there are a fair
 RMVR> number in collections in the USA. They are still exceedingly difficult
 RMVR> to acquire.  BTW, the porices I quoted are for newly-forged ones, not
 RMVR> antiques, which are hideously more expensive and even more difficult to
 RMVR> acquire. 
     That's all right, I can't type kanji over the net either.  I suppose I
     could do a rubbing, scan it and send you you the file, but it seems to 
     be a bit more trouble than its worth.  I don't care what its valued at
     cause the agreement as it has been passed along is that it is not for 
     sale at any price.
          I did find in my father's notes that it was made in 1929 for an
     arsenal and the notes say it was made by a known mastersmith, but not
     who or what arsenal.(darnit!)  I suppose I'll either have to find someone
     who can read it or take a rubbing and go spend a week at the local 
     university with a japanese-english dictionary. 
          The crysanthemum is five-lobed.

... I suffered for my art.  Now it's your turn.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12