Subject: Optimized sheet metal cutting problem

From: [email-masked] (M P Davison)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 09:38:43 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

A colleague of mine does some managment consultancy and one of his
clients has asked him to find some software to solve this problem...

They need to cut various shapes from standard size metal sheets
but what they want to do is first run the problem through some s/ware 
so that they get the most efficient usage from each sheet of metal
(i.e least wastage)

Does anyone know anything out there which will do this ?

Any pointers to full programs or part written code would be appreciated
because if I cannot find this s/ware I'll have to write it myself.

Thanks in anticipation

---
--            
Mark Davison, 	
	Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
	The University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, United Kingdom

E-mail:[email-masked]  
Tel:    Int+ 44 (0)532 332016		Fax: Int+ 44 (0)532 332032
--

---

From: Mogollon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 22:49:37 -0500

>so that they get the most efficient usage from each sheet of metal
 
There is at least 3 companies making the hardware and softwares. The only one
that comes to mind right now is Quickpen, I don't even have their address.
you figure out the take off from your job, enter it into a computer, and it will
design, and cut out the fittings with a plasma torch. sort of like a big
plotter table.
Will look for some more info on it later.
rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Turner)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 08:34:10 GMT

>Does anyone know anything out there which will do this ?

I have heard tell of a package called fabricam thats meant to be 
very good at this but thats all  that I know about it.

Nick

---

From: PAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 94 21:10:51 -0500

>Does anyone know anything out there which will do this ?
 
Allmost any cheap CAD program has a function called "Component Create" or some
variation thereof. You can create "scale" drawings of the respective parts, then
using the "component Rotate" function, position them on a scale model sheet
that you have also drawn. the component create function makes a dotted replica
of the part, which you may then try in positions around your sheet. When you
have
each peice where you want it you may click your mouse and set it down. there
is also a component remove feature that will allow you to change your mind as
you begin to have many peices to fit. The program I have used is called
Genericad. Originally it cost $500, but must be much cheaper now. A much more
sophisticated industrial version is Cadkey 7.0. It is now being dumped on the
american market for $450, to try to take over Autocad. It originally cost $3500!
Technically speaking it is far more advanced than Autocad, But not as well
known by the engineering public. I am also aware that both these programs
(Cadkey and Autocad) have "LITE" versions that sell for about $100, but I don't
know if they have the features you need. Hope I was some help to you!