Subject: Re: knife makers on the Internet!!y

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Aug 94 07:41:26 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (James Dollar) writes:
> [email-masked] wrote:
> : I stumbled across a 6" x 48" Delta sander being scrapped out of a
> : high school wood shop.  I added a 1 HP 1800 RPM motor and now can
> : plane off Damascus billets and flatten full-tang knive's tang so
> : there is nary a gap between steel and handle material.  Actual 
> : blade grinding occurs on my Bader.  A nice addition to the Bader
> : (or for that matter a BurrKing) is a suggestion I first heard
> : from Keith Kilby.  Contact glue a 3/8"-1/2" slab of semi-hard
> : rubber to the flat platen of your grinder (my anti-fatigue mat
> : now was a bite taken out of one corner), and glue a piece of
> : graphite-impregnated material (available from Bader & most
> : knife supply houses) to the rubber.  Readjust the platen so the
> : belt still runs in the normal plane.  This rig removes almost all
> : splice bounce and makes dagger-grinding a good deal easier. Try
> : it - you may like it.
> :    Steve Bloom (IronFlower Forge)
> 
> Steve, what is the purpose of graphite impregnation?
> 
--It creates a low-friction surface - since the belt is actually
rubbing over the semi-hard surface, without the graphite, the rubber
would probably generate a good deal of heat and smell.  The only
problem I've experienced is a more rapid wear on the right edge --
maybe because I do a lot of cleanup on the belt edge?  Seriously,
a $2.00 piece lasts me for 6 months, then I just peel it off and
glue down another piece.

Steve Bloom
> --
> Jame$ Dollar <[email-masked]>
>