Subject: Re: What Does 16 Gauge Me

From: [email-masked] (Raymond Bowers)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 14:46:00 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Albert Wu" writes:

>I know that gauge is a
>retrogressive measure of thickness of sheet metals, but how does that
>gauge value convert to absolute measure such as mm or mil ?  Can anyone
>shed some light on that ?  There are various types of gauges, right ?  If
>so, when people say 16 gauge, which gauge do they usually mean ?

  I don't know exactly what it means but i do know that it is different
from galvanized steel to copper, etc . . .

  14 gauge gal steel is about 0.080 inches.
  14 gauge copper is about the same a 16 gauge gal steel.

  Even the US versus British gauges for gal steel are different!

  It is a mess . . .  I hope to one day find a table for gal steel,
copper, and brass, and get the stupid gauges and inch equivalents!!!

  You know who can probably tell you, a company called Non-Ferrous Metals.
I called them to order some different metals for doing chain mail work and
the guy knew what he was talking about - he's the one who told me that
14 gauge gal steel was 0.080 inches and told me I needed 12 gauge brass to
get the same size.  I don't have their number handy.  Some place out of
Connecticut.

---
 þ OLX 2.2 þ Poetry isn't obscene, its per verse.

---

From: [email-masked] ("Ray Gonder")
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 12:34:21 GMT

>get the same size. 

According to the POCKET REF book by Thomas J. Glover that I just purchased;

US Standard Gauge was established by Congress in 1893 and establishes that 
the weight determines the gauge, not the thickness.

Hopr this helps
Ray