Subject: Re: OxyWeld, anyone?

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 20 Oct 1994 01:16:55 GMT

And while we're at it, I'll repeat an earlier request for a source of
pellets for a "solidox" torch - used to be sold by Sears, but not for
some time now.  Anyone seen / got any?
Thanks / Mark

[email-masked] wrote:
: Hi.

: I've been lurking in this conference for some time, as I'm interested in
: machining but lack the facilities and funds necessary to and my other metal
: working pursuits haven't been complicated enough to need advice or merit
: posting about.

: Anyway, I'm in the market for some sort of oxy-acetelene torch, primarily for
: heat treating medium-sized parts, say 10" x 2" x 1/4", and the other day, at an
: industrial liquidation business, I came across a very odd device, called
: OxyWelder, I believe.  

: The thing apparently runs on hydrogen peroxide which is chemically broken down
: to provide oxygen which is mixed with, I believe, propane from a standard
: cylinder.  It's kind of cheap looking and the instructions are lacking, but as
: it's used, it is very cheap, about $50.

: I'd appreciate any information anyone has on the item.  Though it's primary use
: would be heat treating, it'd be nice if it could manage some light welding and
: brazing duties.  Is the thing up to it?

: Thanks, 

: Zach
: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 19 Oct 94 15:00:33 CST

Hi.

I've been lurking in this conference for some time, as I'm interested in
machining but lack the facilities and funds necessary to and my other metal
working pursuits haven't been complicated enough to need advice or merit
posting about.

Anyway, I'm in the market for some sort of oxy-acetelene torch, primarily for
heat treating medium-sized parts, say 10" x 2" x 1/4", and the other day, at an
industrial liquidation business, I came across a very odd device, called
OxyWelder, I believe.  

The thing apparently runs on hydrogen peroxide which is chemically broken down
to provide oxygen which is mixed with, I believe, propane from a standard
cylinder.  It's kind of cheap looking and the instructions are lacking, but as
it's used, it is very cheap, about $50.

I'd appreciate any information anyone has on the item.  Though it's primary use
would be heat treating, it'd be nice if it could manage some light welding and
brazing duties.  Is the thing up to it?

Thanks, 

Zach
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (KLM)
Date: 20 Oct 1994 16:23:08 GMT

>industrial liquidation business, I came across a very odd device, called

I can't help with the OxyWelder, but I thought I'd add a comment on heating
with oxyacetylene. The rate (cubic feet per hour) that you can draw
acetylene out of a tank is limited to a fraction (1/7th ??) of the tank's
capacity per hour. This is because the acetylene is dissolved in acetone,
not just compressed, and drawing it out too quickly results in acetone
coming out too, to the detriment of your regulators and hoses (and, maybe
the cylinder).

My recollection (from a few years ago) was that, even for the largest
acetylene tank you'd want to trundle around on a hand cart, the tank wasn't
large enough to even drive victor's smallest rosebud at full capacity. Or
maybe it could only drive the smallest? You need multi-cylinder manifold
setups or acetylene generators for the bigger acetylene heating tips.

Anyway, there is another option: oxypropane. There is no real limit on
the rate you can draw propane. You can use (so several welding shops
assured me) a normal acetylene regulator for propane. You do need a different
made-for-propane rosebud tip, and are supposed to get a different grade
of hose. When I got my set, I talked the shop into swapping the hose and
the acetylene rosebud for a propane rosebud. You can get huge propane
rosebuds, with much higher BTU/hour ratings than acetylene ones.

There are a couple of advantages and disadvantages:
  -propane uses a lot more oxygen
  -propane is cheap
  -you get a more diffuse heat - good for heat treating, bad if you are
   trying to flame bend
and of course, this is only for heating/brazing: you can't weld with
oxypropane.

---

From: [email-masked] (Russ Kepler)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 04:11:02 GMT

>it's used, it is very cheap, about $50.

The gas flow rate that you'd need to heat something of the dimensions
above would be incredible.  When you get to that size you need an oven
just to hold it at temp long enough for the heat to penetrate the
center (about 15-30 minutes per inch thickness).

-- 
Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

                      Please don't feed the Engineers

---

From: [email-masked] (MikeT nyc)
Date: 21 Oct 1994 00:08:05 -0400

>Anyway, there is another option: oxypropane. There is no real limit on
the 
>rate you can draw propane. You can use (so several welding shopsassured 
>me) a normal acetylene regulator for propane.

Recently, I picked up a complete Solidox braze/weld outfit (Cleanweld
Turner) at a yard sale for $5, never used.  Is this a reasonable
alternative for light welding/brazing?  Will I be able to get the solid
oxygen pellets for it when the supply I have is exhausted?