Subject: Anybody know the price of bronze / kg. ?

From: [email-masked] (Anton Bakker)
Date: 17 Oct 1994 12:57:33 GMT

I would like to know the price of a casting grade bronze per kilo.
The exact grade is not soo importeant. It is to estimate the material 
cost of casting small art objects in large quantities.

Does the price varry a lot per country (US vs. China) ?

Any pointers ?

Regards,

Anton

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 18 Oct 94 09:34:38 MDT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Richard Engelbrecht-Wiggans) writes:

|>The local scrap metal dealer sells bronze at $1.00 pound
|>(ie, about $2.20 per kilo).  It is up to the customer to
|>sort through the stock and determine composition, etc.

Is there an "easy" way to determine composition, in this case between
brass and bronze?  I have many 35-pound I-beam-shaped extrusions that
seem to be bronze (based on color comparison with brass), but have never
really been certain.  They were vacuum columns from very old IBM 7-track
tape drives (part of an IBM 709), and are chrome plated on one side.
It just seems nice to know what I have!

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Engelbrecht-Wiggans)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 07:41:33 CDT

>cost of casting small art objects in large quantities.
The local scrap metal dealer sells bronze at $1.00 pound
(ie, about $2.20 per kilo).  It is up to the customer to
sort through the stock and determine composition, etc.