Subject: Soldering wire cable

From: [email-masked] (Steve Krischer)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 13:49:02 -0500

I need to solder the ends of 3/16" wire cable.  It is 7x7 "aircraft"
cable.  I have the option of using either stainless or galvanized.

What I am trying to do is to keep the cut ends of the pieces of cable from
seperating.  I have been told everything from "it can't be done" to "you
can use regular rosin core solder (which does not work on galvanized
cable).

I figured I might as well turn to all of the experts since I just got
access to the "Net".  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Krischer

---

From: [email-masked] (CMHunt)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 13:49:36 -0500

>can use regular rosin core solder (which does not work on galvanized

It has been my experience (on smaller diameters of 7x19 stainless cable,) 
that to keep the end from fraying, you need to heat it to cherry red
before you cut it.  I think that anneals the stresses out of it that make
it fray.

To solder it, you need to soak the end in a degreasing solvent before you
try to solder it. I use acetone. As for the actual soldering, I use a thin
piece of silver solder and a borax paste flux.  

I personally would not try using galvanized cable.  It's my understanding
that heating up the galvanizing produces some pretty toxic fumes.   

Good Luck
CMHunt

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy D. Shoppa x4256)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 13:25 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Steve Krischer) writes...
>can use regular rosin core solder (which does not work on galvanized

Unless some regulation requires that the end be soldered, why don't
you try some epoxy?  In most applications, I find it works just fine
in keeping the strands from separating.

Tim. ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 04:51:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>access to the "Net".  Any help will be appreciated.

You should be able to tin the strands of galvanized cables with lead-tin 
solder with an acid (i.e., zinc chloride) flux.  That's how they connect
elevator cables to the car and counterweights.
                          M. Kinsler, trying again.