Subject: Copper/SS soldering

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 09:55:10 -0800

Well, I have not gotten a response so I will ask again.  Anyone have
any tips on silver soldering SS to copper?  I tried and the solder
flowed onto the copper but not the SS.  Used Handy Flux, the stuff
which is a hard white paste.

thanks,
dion
-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Driscoll)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 22:16:40 GMT

I have successfully solver soldered CDA122 (DHP = Deoxidized high
phosphorus, the stuff copper pipes and roofs are mode of) to type 304
SS.  I used Engelhard Silvaloy 45 (which contains Cadmium, so observe
proper safety procedures) with Engelhard Silver Brazing Ultra FLux.

As sort of a long shot, the copper transmits heat quite fast compared
to the stainless.  Perhpas it did not wet the SS because it was not
yet sufficiently hot?

 Jim Driscoll
 Driscoll Brewing