Subject: RE: CAD Assistance

From: [email-masked] (Don Stauffer)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 08:16:02 CST

In article <[email-masked]>, Carl C. 
Carlsen <[email-masked]> says:
>
>I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone who 
>mentioned TurboCad, said the same thing - DON'T bother.  Although
>I'm offering NO recommendations, the ones I heard from said that 
>Cadkey 7 was an excellent buy at $495.!!!  That's WAY beyond my 
>price range.  Autosketch seems to be the next best recommendation 
>as long as 2D is acceptable.  That's a GENERAL synopsis of the 
>replies I received.   Carl
>
>-- 
>Carl C. Carlsen

Okay, heres my two cents worth.  I found KeyCad to be a pretty good 
program and really cheap (about $25 at Best Buy).  I am not using it 
currently as I got POed at them and found one I like better, but it is 
far more expensive.

The only problem with KeyCad is that I had the DOS version, and bought 
the Windows version when it came out.  I found I could not read my old 
files into the new version.  When called they said they had no plans to 
make it backward compatible.  Converting to DXF did not work well.  My 
new Autosketch, however, can read the old DOS DXF files fine.

If you are not worried about crossing versions, KeyCad is actually a 
pretty good cad program, well worth the money, and very robust, which 
TurboCad isn't.

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis