Subject: FAQ part 7 of 8

From: [email-masked] (Jim Kirkpatrick)
Date: 2 Jan 95 15:53:50 MST

This is the FAQ for rec.crafts.metalworking.  It is in several pieces
to keep the overall size of each part below the limits imposed by
some news systems.  This is part 7 of 8.

Generally, units below are United States dollars, degrees Fahrenheit,
and all the other silly backwards units we Americans still use.  Sorry.

The questions being answered in part 1:

0.  Where is this FAQ kept, and where are archives of the newsgroup?
1.  The original rec.crafts.metalworking charter.
2.  The CLOCKS bitnet mailing list, and other related lists.
3.  What are some good books and/or video tapes on metalworking?
4.  Who makes good lathes/mills/etc?

The questions being answered in part 2:

5.  Where do I buy a machine?
6.  What are good magazines to subscribe to?
7.  Where might one take classes or get instruction?
8.  Where can I get raw material for my projects?
9.  Where can I get tools, drill bits, etc.?
10. What are some of the related professional/hobby associations?
11. How do I harden/temper metal?
12  How do I wire up this strange motor?
13. How do I deal with mail-order suppliers?
14. How to sharpen knives, chisels, and other tools?
15. Some safety reminders.

The questions being answered in part 3:

16. How do I drill round holes?
17. What's TIG and MIG?
18. MIG welding technique.
19. Which MIG welder should I buy?
20. Books on welding.
21. Soldering/brazing topics.

The questions being answered in part 4:

22. What are bolt grades?
23. What is XYZ made of?
24. How do I build a furnace or forge?
25. What is Damascus steel?
26. How do I repair/replace this old leather belt?

The questions being answered in part 5:

27. Can I use a drill press as a cheap vertical mill?
28. What is involved in building a steam engine?
29. How do I anodize aluminum?
30. Rust!  How do I deal with rust?

The questions being answered in part 6:

31. Are there any machinery museums?
32. How do I cut metal?
33. What kind of oil should I use on my lathe/mill?
34. What are the various tapers (Morse, JT, R8, etc.)?

The questions being answered in parts 7 and 8:

35. What is Electric Discharge Machining (EDM)?
36. Solvent safety
99. Names and addresses of publishers and suppliers
    (OK, so I got tired of re-numbering it every time a new
    question was added!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

35.  What is Electric Discharge Machining (EDM)?

     EDM is a method for producing holes and slots, or other shapes,
     by using an electric discharge (spark) to remove unwanted
     material.  It is also called spark erosion.  Sometimes it is
     used to produce a part, such as producing a slot in a very hard
     metal, and sometimes it is used to "rescue" a part such as
     removing a broken tap.

     The basic idea is to move an electrode very close to the work
     piece, and repeatedly produce a spark between the two.  This is
     best done while immersed in a dielectric liquid rather than in
     air, and it helps if the proper distance can be automatically
     maintained.  Note that the electrode gets eaten as well as the
     workpiece, and some compensation must be made for this.  Very
     good finish can be achieved, though at reduced speed.  EDM is
     not a fast method; some jobs can take days to produce holes,
     so its use is limited to jobs that cannot easily be done in
     other ways (e.g. oblong slots or complex shapes, sometimes in
     very hard material).  Note too the work must be conductive so
     it does not work on materials such as glass or ceramic, or most
     plastics.

     A good overview is in the Metals Handbook published by the
     American Society for Metals (ASM), volume 3, "Machining"
     (page 227 of the 8th edition, 1967).

     A wire EDM machine uses a wire (usually brass) as the electrode,
     which passes between guides like a bandsaw blade.  The wire is used
     only once.  As it runs from a spool through the job, it is eroded and 
     reduced in diameter by as much as 1/3.  The old immersion system
     has now been largely replaced by flushing nozzles which surround
     the upper and lower wire guides.  These blast the dielectric
     through the cut.  This system works well, and has the tremendous
     advantage of being quick to shut off to remove parts, rethread
     broken wire, etc.

     As to the functionality of the wire EDM system, just imagine what
     you can do with a wire that leaves a .010" kerf through 6" thick
     stainless steel without heating it up.  With the CNC control 
     a taper can be imparted to the workpiece, because even the low-end
     machines have independently controlled upper and lower guide 
     movement.  High-end machines are mostly a way of getting more
     power (and therefore faster operation); more capacity; and 
     convenience features, like automatic wire threading and a 
     sinker-EDM head to create internal starting holes in hard material.

     EDM is well-suited for automated control.  In fact, it seems
     almost the only way to go, which usually puts sophisticated
     EDM out of the reach of most home shop machinists.  Luckily,
     the fundamentals are simple enough you can get by without
     computer control at the expense of constantly adjusting the
     gap manually, as is the case in the Popular Science article.

     An easily-built system is described in Popular Science, March 1968,
     pages 149-153.  However, it is electrically dangerous from a shock
     standpoint, and suggests using kerosene as the dielectric which is
     a strong fire hazard.  This machine was reworked a bit in the
     January 1991 issue of Home Shop Machinist (HSM), with a few
     notes in March 1991 (page 11), May 1992 (pages 10-11), and May 1994
     (page ?).  EDM was described in February 1993 in Electronics Now
     (pages 79-81) along with a list of EDM resources, with a followup in
     the May 1993 issue (pages 78-80) that references the Popular Science
     and HSM articles.  This machine requires "manual" feed of the
     electrode.  Please note that non-flammable dielectrics should be used,
     and are available from supply companies such as MSC (I have also
     heard of using de-ionized water as the dielectric).

     A more complex system was described in the July and August 1976
     issues of Model Engineer magazine (with a followup in the October 2,
     1981 issue).  In this case a small stepping motor is used to
     automatically feed the electrode.  This is a great improvement, but
     complicates building the system unless one of your other hobbies is
     electronics.

     From August 1993 to April 1994, Strictly IC magazine published
     a serial on building another stepper-driven machine.  Being
     newer, it may be easier to build because the parts listed are
     probably still available.  But, again, electronics should be
     another hobby (or perhaps you have a friend who needs some
     machining done?).  The series also suffers a bit from the
     author re-designing the system as the series was published,
     but who ever builds something as published, anyway?

36.  Solvent safety
     Doug White posted this on 11/16/94 regarding safety of some
     common solvents:

         HEALTH HAZARDS OF COMMON CHEMICAL CLEANING SOLVENTS

                               Doug White
                                11/16/94

     People in several different newsgroups I subscribe to use chemical
     solvents for various projects.  A while back in rec.bicycles, there was a
     discussion of the health hazards of using these solvents.  A friend of
     mine is in the laboratory safety business, and ran off copies of the
     'Material Safety Data Sheets' (MSDS) for many of the common solvents.
     It's a bit tricky to cover everything, because some are known by several
     different names, and MSDS's from different sources don't list things in a 
     consistent manner.  I've attempted to consolidate this information into 
     something that covers the critical differences between the solvents, and 
     that is easy to understand for people like me who aren't safety experts 
     or chemists.

     I've listed these (roughly) in decreasing order of 'nastiness'.  It's
     difficult to do a precise ranking, because some solvents are greater
     risks depending on whether you touch it, breath it, drink it, or set it
     on fire.  If there is anything you like to use that you don't see here, 
     just call the manufacturer and ask for the MSDS on the product.  They 
     are required by law to send you one.  There are several key things I 
     would watch out for:

     1) How flammable is it?  Solvents are rated either highly flammable, 
        flammable, combustible, or non-flammable, depending on the flashpoint.
        I believe anything with a flashpoint below 100F is considered at least
        flammable.

     2) Check the Time Weighted Average exposure limit.  This is usually 
        listed in parts per million, or milligrams per cubic meter (mg/M*3).
        This will give a rough feel for how toxic the stuff is.

     3) Look for specific problems.  Can it be toxic if absorb through the
        skin?  Is it just an eye irritant, or will contact cause damage?

     Because all of these solvents dissolve grease and oil, at a minimum, they
     will leach the oils out of your skin.  With prolonged exposure, this can
     cause irritation and dermatitis.  Your senses are a good warning system.
     If a mere whiff of something makes your eyes water and your head spin,
     it's probably not too good for you.  Whatever you like to use, do so with 
     adequate ventilation, gloves, eye protection, and away from any source 
     of combustion.

     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Nitrobenzine: (AKA Essence of Mirbane, Mirbane oil)  I've included this
     because it used to be used in some gun cleaning solvents.  It was
     removed because of health risks.  Nasty stuff.

      Very toxic by inhalation, skin contact, or ingestion
      Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin
      Danger of cumulative effects, causes nervous system disorders
      Combustible, Flashpoint = 190F, 87C 
      Readily absorbed through skin, do not breath vapor.
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 1 part per million (5 mg/M*3)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Kerosene: (AKA Coal Oil, Range Oil)  Easy to obtain.  This was my
     father's favorite all-round solvent.  Works well on bicycles chains.

      Toxic by inhalation or ingestion
      Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin
      Attacks central nervous system
      Combustible, Flashpoint = 100F, 38C
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 14 parts per million (100 mg/M*3)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Lacquer Thinner: This is a mixture of a variety of chemicals, and will 
     vary with manufacturer.  Some of the components are pretty nasty, but
     information on the mixture is not very complete.  The brand I have a
     data sheet on contains: Isopropanol, n Butyl Acetate, Methanol, Acetone,
     VM&P Naptha, Toluene, and Hexane.  This is a particularly effective
     solvent, and works very well removing hardened grease and grime from old
     machine tools.

      Toxic by inhalation, minimal toxicity by ingestion
      Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin
      Attacks central nervous system
      Flammable, Flashpoint = -10F, -23C 
      The Worst component (Hexane) has a Time Weighted Average exposure limit
      of 50 parts per million, but it's percentage in the mixture is unknown
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Naptha: (AKA Lighter Fluid, Petroleum Ether)  This is one of my favorite
     cleaning solvents, because it doesn't attack most plastics or paint.
     It's great for removing adhesive from tape and labels.  Although it is
     listed as a skin irritant, it isn't toxic if you spill some on your
     hands.  

      Toxic by inhalation or ingestion
      Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin
      Attacks central nervous system
      Highly Flammable, Flashpoint = -57F, -49C
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 100 parts per million (400 mg/M*3)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Paint Thinner: (AKA Mineral Spirits, Petroleum Naptha) A common solvent,
     readily available at most hardware stores.  It is considered non-
     irritating to eyes.

      Toxic by inhalation or ingestion
      Irritating to respiratory system, slightly irritating to skin
      Attacks central nervous system
      Combustible, Flashpoint = 111F, 44C
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 100 parts per million (400 mg/M*3)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Turpentine: (AKA Spirit or Oil of Turpentine)  I never use this anymore,
     but it was THE standard paint brush cleaner before latex paints came
     out.

      Toxic by inhalation or ingestion
      Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin
      Can penetrate skin to produce systemic effects.  Can cause eye damage
      Prolonged exposure can cause allergenic sensitization.
      Combustible to Flammable, Flashpoint = 90-115F, 32-46C 
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 100 parts per million (560 mg/M*3)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Acetone: (AKA Methyl Ketone, Propanone, Pyroacetic Ether)  The one unique
     application I know of for acetone is that it dissolves cyanoacrylate
     glues (SuperGlue).  It will attack many plastics.

      Toxic by inhalation or ingestion
      Irritating to respiratory system and skin
      Risk of serious damage to eyes
      Attacks liver and kidneys
      Flammable, Flashpoint = 1F, -17C
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 200-1000 parts per million 
      (470-2400 mg/M*3) (Varies substantially from country to country)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Denatured Alcohol: (Denatured Ethanol)  This is ethyl alcohol with just
     enough 'denaturant' to make you violently ill if you try to make a 
     cocktail out of it.  Denaturants vary, but the most common one is a few
     percent methyl alcohol (methanol).  I couldn't find a MSDS on the
     'denatured' version, so the info below is from the ethanol MSDS.  The
     only major difference should be in toxicity by ingestion, which is the
     whole point of the denaturant.  Ethanol is a fairly mild solvent, and
     may require more patience and elbow grease than others.  On the other
     hand, it's pretty safe.  Water dissolves in it, so you can use it to dry
     off delicate items that have gotten wet, or have been washed in water
     first.  Ethanol will cleanly remove even the most fossilized protective
     paper from acrylic plastic (Plexiglass), if you let it soak overnight in
     a plastic bag.

      Somewhat toxic by ingestion (mostly because of denaturant)
      Excessive exposure to vapors can cause eye and respiratory irritation
      Flammable, Flashpoint = 50-55F, 10-13C
      Time Weighted Average exposure limit 1000 parts per million (1900 mg/M*3)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Orange Oil: (AKA OptiClear & lots of other tradenames)  This is listed as
     a 'food oil distillate'.  It's a volatile liquid extracted from orange 
     peels, and smells like oranges.  The manufacture of 'OptiClear'
     recommends it as a replacement for 'toluene, xylene, or chlorinated
     hydrocarbons such as TCE' (Trichloroethylene).  It is biodegradable.
     This is the only type of solvent that is listed as GRAS (Generally
     Regarded as Safe).  

      Not considered toxic
      Can cause skin irritation
      Combustible, Flashpoint = 140F, 60C
      No exposure limit

     Before everyone floods me with email asking where you can get this
     stuff, 'OptiClear' is an optical grade solvent used at the lab where I
     work.  It's probably a bit more refined (and expensive) than what most
     people need.  The price info I have is very old, but lists a case of 
     four 1 gallon jugs for $86.  It's manufactured by:

      National Diagnostics, Inc.
      1013-1017 Kennedy Blvd.
      Manville, NJ  08835
      (201) 722-8600

     I have seen ads for other brands of orange based solvents, but haven't 
     ever bought any.  My local hardware stores don't seem to carry it.  If
     someone has a good source, I'd love to hear about it.

99.  Names and addresses of publishers and suppliers.

     Note also that a potential source of manufacturers/suppliers is the
     Thomas Register, found in most public libraries.

 --  Special entry:  Not a company or anything, but for more info on
     crafts supplies, send e-mail to [email-masked]
     and put "WANTED:" at the beginning of the subject line.  This is
     a non-profit service of PEI Crafts Council in Charlottetown,
     Price Edward Island, Canada.  They maintain a list of crafts
     suppliers and can answer questions like "give me a list of ceramics
     suppliers East of the Mississippi" or "who sells ConeArt kilns?"
     (per a post 9-Nov-1993)

   -  Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Company
      Fullerton, CA
      (800) 824-1930

      400-page catalog costs $5, but they pay $4.10 to mail it to you
      (at 1994 postage rates).  Airplane kits (real ones), as well as
      parts and raw material such as aluminum stock, composites, epoxies,
      foam, and spruce.  This is not as complete or as universal as
      McMaster-Carr, but it has a number of things you won't find elsewhere.

   -  Allcraft Tool & Supply
      666 Pacific St.
      Brooklyn, NY 11217
      (800)645-7124, (718)789-2800

      Tools for jewelry-making, perhaps more.

   -  Allied Devices Corporation
      2365 Milburn Ave
      P.O. Box 502
      Baldwin, New York 11510
      (516) 223-9100, (516) 223-9172 (FAX)

      "Standard Precision Mechanical Components" such as small gears.
      Reputedly not cheap, but Small Parts Inc isn't either.

   -  American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute (AWI)
      P.O. Box 11011
      Cincinnati, OH 45211
      (513) 661-3838, (513) 661-3131 (FAX)

      Membership is around $45 or so per year.  They have an excellent
      magazine, Horological Times.  Their orientation is more towards
      watch/clock repair.  They offer many courses along those lines.
      The "Project Extended" courses are given in Cincinnati, but they
      have many other courses (around 5 days) given around the country.
      They have at least 100 videotapes on various aspects of lathe work
      and clock repair.

   -  ARE, Inc.
      Box 8
      Greensboro Bend, VT 05842
      (800)736-4273, (802)533-7007, (802)533-7008 fax

      Tools for jewelry-making, perhaps more.  Catalog is $4.

   -  Argus Books
      P.O. Box 35 Wolsey House
      Wolsey Road, Hemel Hempstead
      Herts HP2 4SS England
      Telephone: Hemel Hempstead (0442)66551

      Publishers of Model Engineer in England.  Heavy on live-steam model
      trains, mostly machining topics, some interesting plans.

   -  Armstrong Tool & Supply Co, Inc.
      31747 W Eight Mile
      Livonia, MI 48152
      (800) 446-9694

      Full range of hand tools & Sherline Products. Catalog $2.00

   -  Bailey Craftsman Supply
      P.O. Box 276
      Fulton, MO 65251-0276
      (314) 642-5998

      Shop videos, Books, EMCO Maier & Sherline Products

   -  W.M. Berg, Inc.
      499 Ocean Avenue
      East Rockaway, NY 11518
      (516) 596-1700, (516) 599-3274 (FAX), (516) 599-5010 customer service

      Very similar to Stock Drive Products (q.v.).  Separate catalogs for
      metric vs. english parts.  They undoubtedly have a few items that
      Stock Drive does not carry, and vice-versa.

   -  Blades & Stuff
      1019 E. Palmer Ave.
      Glendale, CA 91205 

      Catalog $5

   -  Blue Ridge Machinery and Tools, Inc.
      PO Box 536
      2806 Putnam Avenue
      Hurricane, WV  25516
      800-872-6500, 304-562-3538 in WV, 304-562-5311 (fax)
      Credit cards, COD's up to $200
      M,W,F 9-5 EST, Tu,Th 9-9 EST

      Lathes, milling machines, presses, brakes, from puny to industrial.
      Accessories and parts for popular machines from Myford, South Bend,
      Atlas, Sherline, Emco-Maier, etc.
      Hand tools and books of interest to hobbyists and professionals.
      Woodworking power tools
      Steel, brass, aluminum, tool steel in small quantities.

      110 page free catalog

   -  J. C. Boegeman
      1464 S. Warner Dr.
      Apache Junction, AZ  85220
      (602) 982-8436

      Discontinued parts for Atlas, Craftsman, Clausing lathes.
      Quadrants, reverse gear boxes, lead screws, half-nuts,
      spindles, steady rests, and so on.  No catalog, so call.

   -  Borel and Frei
      712 S. Olive St., Suite 318
      Los Angeles, CA 90014
      (800)654-9591 (national), (800)252-9392 (CA), (213)689-7007,
      (213)488-0485 fax

      They also have a Kansas City office:

      Jules Tools (Jules Borel & Co.)
      1110 Grand Ave.
      Kansas City, MO 64106
      (800)776-6858 orders, (800)776-6865 customer service, (816)421-6110,
      (800)776-6862 fax

      Jewelers' tools: main 172-page catalog "T" is color, slick paper,
      no prices (separate price list is enclosed).  Also catalog "J" for
      jewelry, "H" for horological (watchmaking) supplies, and "F" of
      jewelry findings.  Specialty tool catalog "T<year>S" is 50 pages
      B&W and does have prices.

   -  Boston Gear
      14 Hayward St.
      Quincy Ma. 02171
      (617) 328-3300

      They have nearly any gear iminaginable,  IN STOCK.  Their prices
      are lower than you might imagine, and delivery is good.

   -  Bourget Bros.
      Lapidary and Jeweler's Supplies
      1636 11th St.
      Santa Monica, CA 90404
      (800)828-3024

   -  Brownells
      Route 2 Box 1
      200 South Front Street
      Montezuma, Iowa, 50171
      (515) 623-5401, (515) 623-3896 (FAX)

      Brownells is a fine firm that specializes in gunsmithing, though
      a lot of their merchandise is great for general-purpose metalworking.
      Catalog is $4.00, refundable with first order of $40 or more
      (but if you can convince them you are a dealer, then it is free).
      They have lower prices for gun dealers, "enciphered" in the catalog
      in a manner similar to the following --
         Item: Foo Bar Grips    an9xx20dd      Price: $19.95
      means list price is $19.95, dealer price is $9.20.  However, in
      recent catalogs they have changed the coding on some items.
      While some people have apparently convinced them they are a dealer,
      the usual requirement seems to be an FFL (Federal Firearms License)
      before they sell for the dealer price.

   -  Campbell Tools, Inc.
      2100-H Selma Rd.
      Springfield, OH 45505
      (513) 322-8562

      A machine supplier attuned to the hobbyist metalworker.  They carry
      Sherline, Emco, Jet, and other machines.  Also books, hardware,
      raw materials, etc.  Highly recommended by one net reader.  Catalog
      is $1

   -  Cardinal Engineering Inc
      RR #1, Box 163
      Cameron, IL 61423
      (309) 342-7474, (309) 342-3182 (FAX)

      Supplier of various metals, but they also can supply CNC mills
      and/or kits to convert existing milling machines.  Also some CNC
      lathe work.  Several articles in recent years in HSM regarding
      CNC conversions were written by the folks at Cardinal.  Catalog
      is $2.  Also some books, and plans from a company called Wood-Met.

   -  Castings
      PO Box 915001
      Longwood, FL 32791
      (407) 869-6565

      Equipment and materials sized for chess pieces, etc., made in pewter.
      Probably other, related stuff as well.

   -  Centaur Forge Ltd.
      P.O. Box 340
      117 N. Spring Street
      Burlington, WI  53105
      (414) 763-9175, (414) 763-8350 (FAX)

      Publications concentrate on forging, blacksmithing, though all aspects of
      metalworking are covered.  A good, well-organized collection.
      They also publish a magazine, Anvil (see earlier section).

      Centaur Forge is the source for blacksmithing supplies from tongs to
      furnaces.  Also a source of horse shoeing supplies.

   -  Century Spring Corporation
      800-237-5225, (213) 749-3802 (FAX)

      A Los Angeles company, they sell a wide range of both extension and
      compression springs, and also some more specialized
      springs like disk springs and rubber-tube springs.  Their catalog is
      free and lists springs sorted by diameter, length, wire diameter,and
      material, and list number of coils, solid height, and calculated spring
      rate.

      The catalog does not include prices, but prices are reasonable, but
      there is a $25 minimum order.

   -  Clausing Industrial Inc.
      Service Center
      P.O. Box 877
      Goshen, Indiana 46527-0877
      (219) 533-0371, (219) 533-0403 (FAX)

      Long ago, Sears sold Craftsman lathes that are still popular.
      These were actually made by Atlas, which was later bought by
      Clausing.  Clausing apparently still has parts and manuals for
      the Craftsman/Atlas lathes.

   -  Coles Power Models, Inc
      P.O. Box 788
      839 E. Front Street
      Ventura, CA  93002
      (805) 643-7065

      Castings, books, supplies, accessories.  For trains,
      stationary steam, gasoline engines.  The catalog costs $4.

   -  Condar Co.
      10500 Industrial Drive
      Garrettsville, OH 44231
      (216) 527-4343

      They sell a pyrometer (high-temp thermometer) for gas forges and such,
      Unit 9-85 which comes with a 6-foot 2200-degree probe for $60.  They
      also have a high temp probe (3000 degrees; Unit 14S4-1, $17).  Probably
      lots of other related items, but this came up in discussion on
      low-cost pyrometers around 3/25/93.

   -  Darex Corporation
      220 Hersey Street
      Box 277
      Ashland, OR  97520
      (503) 488-2224, (503) 488-2229 (FAX)

      Precision drill and end-mill sharpening equipment.  Some of their
      complete systems are very expensive and intended for large
      production shops (around $2000).  They also sell fixtures for use
      with existing grinders (about $250) and sharpeners for taps, reamers,
      and countersinks.

   -  Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
      (717) 432-4589

      Source for aluminum, steel, tubing, bar, sheets, etc.
      Advertises that they supply: machine shop, race car, airplane building,
      etc.  These people are nice and helpful.  They have shipped orders
      same day with no errors.

   -  Eastwood Company
      (800) 345-1178

      Metal fabrication equipment, welding supplies, etc.  Reportedly,
      the prices are rather high.

   -  MCO Maier (Consumer Products Division)
      2757 Scioto Parkway
      Columbus, OH 43221-2134
      (800) 521-8289, (614) 771-5990 FAX

      Makers (importer?) of the Unimat and Unimat PC lathes, small mills,
      and such.  They will/do sell direct, you can get a discount (5-15%)
      by dealing with Campbell or Blue Ridge on a package.  Good customer
      service and parts department.

   -  Enco Manufacturing Co.
      13 stocking locations, main site in Chicago, IL (addresses not handy now)
      800-860-3400 (24 hr orders, automatically routes to closest location)
      800-860-3500 (fax, also auto routes)
      Credit cards, COD's up to $500, discount for pre-pay by check
      $25 minimum order
      Customer service & Chicago showroom M-F 7-midnight CST,
      Sa 8-4 CST, Su 9-4 CST

      Lathes, milling machines, etc, from small to large NC machines.
      Hand tools, cutting tools, storage cabinets, shop supplies
      Maker (not just distributer) of turret bed lathes.

      However, many net folks have reported that quality and service are
      between awful and terrible (this author included), and that Enco is
      to be avoided.  This is not a unanimous opinion, but close.

      230 page catalog

   -  Gateway Clocks
      7936 Camberly Drive
      Powell, TN  37849

      Gateway Clocks is apparently a one-man business, in the person
      of W. R. Smith, author of several clockmaking books and one on
      clockmaking and model-making (see earlier section in the FAQ).
      Gateway also sells all of John Wilding's books, and John Wilding
      (in England) sells all of Smith's books, through a reciprocal
      agreement.

   -  Gesswein
      255 Hancock Ave.
      Bridgeport, CT 06605
      (800)243-4466, (203)366-5400, (203)366-3953 fax

      Jewelry-making tools, perhaps more.  On the 800 number, there is
      a voice mail system, and if you just want a catalog you have to
      wait for the last prompt when they let you speak for a longer period
      without being cut off.

   -  Glendo Corporation
      900 Overlander Road
      P.O. Box 1153
      Emporia, KS 66801
      (800) 835-3519, (316) 343-1084, (316) 343-9640 (FAX)

      Their Accu-Finish line of "advanced sharpening equipment"
      includes grinders and fixtures for lathe cutting bits and
      similar tools.  Also, most affordable for the home shop,
      the Grind-R-Table for use with existing grinders.  They often
      run ads in the magazines, or you can call for information.

   -  Grand Tool Supply Corp.
      U.S. Highway 46 & Huyler St.
      Teterboro, NJ 07608
      (800) 922-0512, (201) 288-7090 FAX

      "80,000 inch/metric cutting tools, measuring instruments & equipment
      for the machine shop."  $50 min/order, free catalog.

   -  Grizzly Imports, Inc.

      West of Mississippi:
      P.O. Box 2069
      Bellingham, WA 98227
      (800) 541-5537, (800) 225-0021 (FAX)

      East of Mississippi:
      2406 Reach Road
      Williamsport, PA 17701
      (800) 523-4777, (800) 438-5901 (FAX)

      Imports a wide range of power tools and accessories.  Metal lathes,
      milling machines, as well as lots of woodworking tools.  They also
      sell a belt sander called the "Knife Belt Sander/Buffer."  Among
      the importers of Taiwan-made tools, Grizzly seems to rank fairly
      well compared with Enco or Harbor Freight, though some consider Jet
      to be a bit better (at higher cost).

   -  H & H Foundry Machine Company 
      PO Box 605
      Manor, PA   15665
      (412) 863-3251

      They will accept small one-off cast iron jobs (and probably other
      work as well, just don't know their full scope).  They seem to do good
      work and are reasonably priced, according to D. E. Johnson who wrote
      an article in HSM about building a hefty milling machine attachment
      for a lathe.  The pattern for that project is "on file" with them
      and can be requested.

   -  Harbor Freight Tools
      3491 Mission Oaks Blvd.
      Camarillo, CA  93011-6010
      800 423 2567

      They mostly sell cheap tools.  Usually cheap = inexpensive, sometimes
      cheap = junky.  All (or most all) imported.  They are best for items
      which have a lot of metal in them and for which fine/precision is not
      your main objective.  They have really great buys on anvils, cold chisel
      sets, screwdriver sets, tinsnips, crowbars, ... and free shipping (other
      than a $2.95 handling fee) for orders over $50.

   -  High Quality Tools, Inc.
      1327 E. 289th St.
      Wickliffe, OH  44092
      (216) 944-0144, (216) 585-2265 (FAX)

      Replacement parts for Bridgeport milling machines.  Reputedly the
      quality is excellent.  They have a catalog with exploded views
      of all assemblies.  Cheaper than Bridgeport.  See also Lee's.

 (continued in part 8 of the FAQ)