Subject: Re: Looking for HEAVY metals

From: [email-masked] (Christopher L. Frame)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 12:23:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Aaron Weiss) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Aaron Weiss)
>Subject: Looking for HEAVY metals
>Date: 24 Feb 1995 19:29:33 GMT

>Does anyone out there know what the going rate is for the following 
>metals: Osmium, Rhemium, Iridium, and Tungsten?  I hear that Tungsten is 
>comparitively inexpensive but that the others are as expensive (or 
>more so) than gold and platinum.

I did a cost study for General Electric Astro-Space for a satellite ballast 
weight.  Tungsten (alloyed) is the cheapest by far of all your dense 
materials.  It is machinable (although machinists aren't going to bang down 
your door to work on it) and we turned, milled, drilled, and tapped our piece.

C Frame

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 16:56:53 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Christopher L. 

>your door to work on it) and we turned, milled, drilled, and tapped our 
piece.

Machine shops that balance IC engine crankshafts use something called 
"heavy metal".  It is expensive, so they say, but it works.  Try any shop 
that caters to the racing crowd.

mike