Subject: MIG welders

From: [email-masked] (Michael Slavitch)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 22:38:24 GMT

Hello fellow netters;

A buddy of mine, Mike Plummer, is a bike mechanic, recently had his
shop closed down due to mounting debts caused by him being too good a
mechanic and not good enough of a businessman.  The guy could
literally take a twisted steel frame that had been run over by a truck
and cut and paste it to nearly new. He's the local bike wizard.

Anyways, the guy has to eat even though he's broke. Many of us local
cyclists like his services and the chances are that he'll get a job as
a mechanic at some bike shop. However, he has a gift at framebuilding
and I'm trying to get donations from local cyclists to donate $5-10
bucks to pay for a MIG-welder, which is a tabletop version of a
TIG-welder. I'm wondering if any of you out in netland know of their
prices and availability, or even if there is a used one lying around
that is in good shape that you can part with at a fair price for a
good cause.

The MIG welder will let him work (on the side) with aluminum bicycle
frames as well as steel, and allow him to make much more durable
frames such as tandems and the like. His specialty is trikes for
handicapped kids and he charges next to nothing (considering the hours
he puts in to it) for his work.  I consider it a good cause. It will
help keep him off the dole and we'll have some really cool bikes
because of it.

Any help is appreciated.

-- 
Michael Slavitch, Software Design & Analysis Consultant, 
379 Madison Ave. Ottawa, Ontario K2A 0B6 V:(613) 761-9477 F:(613) 723-7209
Driver development and OO-based client-server application software development
for TCP/IP, IPX/SPX and OSI for Unix, Novell NetWare, Windows, and Windows NT.

--
Michael Slavitch, Software Design & Analysis Consultant, 
379 Madison Ave. Ottawa, Ontario K2A 0B6 V:(613) 761-9477 F:(613) 723-7209
Driver development and OO-based client-server application software development
for TCP/IP, IPX/SPX and OSI for Unix, Novell NetWare, Windows, and Windows NT.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ford Falcon)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 17:14:48 GMT

Michael Slavitch ([email-masked]) wrote:

: The MIG welder will let him work (on the side) with aluminum bicycle
: frames as well as steel, and allow him to make much more durable
: frames such as tandems and the like. His specialty is trikes for

Mike,

I've done a little frame building and repair and I believe (IMHO)
that a MIG welder is a little brutal for bicycle production.  MIG
welds aren't the prettiest looking compared to TIG or to a good
braze job.

Just a thought.  Good luck though on your quest.

-- 
                                             [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 20:21:07 GMT

>help keep him off the dole and we'll have some really cool bikes

Michael,

Unfortunately, a MIG is not a tabletop version of a TIG.  For bycycle 
frames, your friend NEEDs a TIG.  MIG welders cannot do a really great 
job on aluminum, especially thin aluminum like that used on bycycle 
frames.  You should go talk with a few welding supply houses.  Given the 
economy, there are a lot of used TIG machines on the market right now.

Best of luck
Mike Rehmus
[email-masked]