Subject: Re: Reaction wanted: live steam CD-ROM interesting to you?

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 08:41:23 -0500

>	- do you have a computer with a CD-ROM drive (or do you plan 
>	   to get one)?
>	-- would you buy a CD on small live steamers?
>	-- what would you like to see on it?
>	-- how much would you pay for it?

YES
YES
Construction techniques,  Rail & roadbed construction,
$40-$50

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 17:24:24 GMT

In <[email-masked]> "Vance R. Bass" <[email-masked]> 
writes: 

>
>This is not an advertisement -- but it is somewhat commercial in 
intent.
>
>I am soliciting opinions for a friend who is considering producing an
>interactive CD-ROM on the subject of small-scale (gauge 0 and gauge 1)
>live steam locomotives.  He has extensive experience in live steam,
>and has some video production behind him.  He has access to a large
>number of interesting live steamers from all over the world.  There
>should be some high quality material on the disk.
>
>If you're into live steam, would you please respond with your reaction 
>to such a project?
>	-- do you have a computer with a CD-ROM drive (or do you plan 
>	   to get one)?
>Thanks for your time.  (Let's hope he does it!)
>
>
>Vance Bass
>Nashville Garden Railway Society
>=====================================
>"Remember, it ain't got a thing if it ain't got that certain
>  je ne sais quoi."                     -- Peter Schickele
>

Sorry I cannot spend a lot of time in reply here, but I would purchase a 
CD-ROM  (don't make it too expensive), I do have a player, I would like 
to see info on larger scales (up to 7-1/2)  Depending on the content, as 
much as $99 is not too high but it then has to have a lot of meat. Too 
many sounds of whistles, choo-choos and the like will make it worth more 
like $30 and then I might not purchase it.  I do not purchase the videos 
of locomotives passing by some famous curve.  I liken that to a video 
tape of a fireplace complete with crackling sound.

Best,
Mike

---

From: "Vance R. Bass" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 1995 04:42:29 GMT

This is not an advertisement -- but it is somewhat commercial in intent.

Vance Bass

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas Jr)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 18:16:55 GMT

Vance R. Bass ([email-masked]) wrote:
: This is not an advertisement -- but it is somewhat commercial in intent.

: I am soliciting opinions for a friend who is considering producing an
: interactive CD-ROM on the subject of small-scale (gauge 0 and gauge 1)
: live steam locomotives.

: If you're into live steam, would you please respond with your reaction 
: to such a project?
: 	-- do you have a computer with a CD-ROM drive (or do you plan 
: 	   to get one)?
: 	-- would you buy a CD on small live steamers?
: 	-- what would you like to see on it?
: 	-- how much would you pay for it?

	Yes to all; $40.- MAX; include details of laying track in limited 
spaces; using prefab homebuilt modules; raising steam; sources of good 
coal, etc.; building bridges, incl. those capable of supporting 
people-carrying sized locos; etc.etc. If it's CD-ROM, there should be 
room for LOTS of details... A picture IS worth a thousand words; altho 
I'm sure it uses more disk space, there should be room for many... 

"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 04:14:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> "Vance R. Bass" <[email-masked]> writes:
>live steam locomotives.

[snip

>If you're into live steam, would you please respond with your reaction 

[snip]

>Nashville Garden Railway Society

So far, the most valuable thing I have is a set of extremely detailed
closeup photos of an engine that I took myself. I shot all around it,
over and under from one end to the other. This kind of detail is what
builders need, not the cliche 3/4 head-on view seen in all the books.
Builders photos do give a general view, but many details are lost in
the shadows. As far as I am concerned, such a CD cannot have too much detail.

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: [email-masked] (Fredric W. Dabney)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 22:56:32 GMT

Mike Rehmus ([email-masked]) wrote:

:...I do not purchase the videos 
: of locomotives passing by some famous curve.  I liken that to a video 
: tape of a fireplace complete with crackling sound.

Hey- what's wrong with that?  I made one so I wouldn't have to spend money
on firewood, tend the fire, clean the fireplace, etc....  Since I keep my
TV set in the fireplace anyway it makes sense.

Fred D.