Subject: Re: WANTED: Blacksmith's forge.

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: 11 Jan 95 10:18:26 CST

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (shimmin) writes:
> Small forge wanted for hobby blacksmithing. Brighton area please.

I bought the article on building the Whimberly forge from Lindsay Publications
for $4.50.  David Whimberly tells you how to build a forge out of an old
water heater.

---
	-David  [email-masked]

-- 
	-David  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David E. White)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 08:24:39 GMT

shimmin ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Small forge wanted for hobby blacksmithing. Brighton area please.

	My first forge was a small ditch I dug about 6 inchs deep and 2 
and 1/2 feet long and a foot wide.  The ditch was widened at each end.
One end served as a "fire pot", across the narrow part I put some old 
boards and at the other end I laid a houshold fan over the hole at a 
slight angle.  The tuyere was a few rocks to keep the charcoal brickettes
>from  rolling out of the fire pot.  Don't laugh, it worked.

	A more sofisticated  forge was constructed when my parents tore 
down the old chimny.  By strategically stacking the bricks I could build
a masonary forge that could be disasembled and stacked against the barn 
when not in use.  It had a long fire pot with the bricks forming the 
bottom set slightly apart to make a tuyere.  Underneith that was a tunnel 
with one side closed and I balanced a squirl cage blower in the mouth.  
This one suffered from clinkers sticking to the "tuyere" and I would have 
to disasemble it once in a while and clean it with a hammer and chisel.

	The next solution was to buy a real fire pot from Centaur Forge 
for somthing like a hundred dollars and used the same squirel cage blower 
and stacked the bricks a little different to hold the fire pot.  This 
works pretty good.

	I now have a forge a freind welded together for me that is much 
easier for sure but cost me a bit more.

	The real expense was buying an anvil.  I resorted to buying new 
form Centaur Forge.

	The point here is that you can build a forge out of anything you 
can keep from burning.

Good luck!

David White
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (ArthurD784)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 00:57:13 -0500

Popular Mechanics, May 1976 has an article title ( SHOP FORGE YOU CAN
BUILD ). page 22. This forge is made from a used barbecue grill and legs
>from  an old kitchen stool, some fire brick and a sheet metal hood and a
surplus squirrel cage blower. The article has drawings,photos and
instructions. I know this article is kind of old but should be avil in
your local library. You should be able to make a  xerox copy of the
article.                                                                  
                                                        Art               
                                                                          
                                 San Diego