Subject: How to Unweld?

From: [email-masked] (The Rifleman)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 11:08:40 GMT

What's the best way to unweld something welded incorrectly?  
What equipment is required?  

(It would be nice if the parts were was not destroyed in the process. :-)

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Government is not reason.  It is not eloquence.  It is a force.  Like fire,
 a dangerous servant and a fearful master." --George Washington
---------------------- NRA  Libertarian Party  FIJA ------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: 11 Jan 1995 02:02:49 -0500

>(It would be nice if the parts were was not destroyed in the process. :-)

Scarfing the weld out with a disk grinder has always worked for me.
If you accidentally take out too much metal, just run a bead, and grind 
it flush with the surrounding surface.

Later,
Joe

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 20:51:04 GMT

> (It would be nice if the parts were was not destroyed in the process. :-)

Without knowing what you want to "unweld" and how it was welded, I can
only provide some general information.

I'll assume you are talking about flat steel, say .125" or thicker.  If
there is a bead only on one side, you might be able to break it by
bending the bead over until it breaks.  Perhaps a chisel will help.  If
that won't work you'll have to cut it with either a torch, an abrasive
cutting disk in an angle grinder, a die grinder with a carbide bit or a
band saw, if the bead is not too hard.

After the parts are severed, clean off the old bead with an angle
grinder, refit and try again.  You may have to mofiy the setup to
account for the material removed.  If you left any gouges in an area
that will show, just weld over them and grind flush.  Flat layered
sanding disks in your angle grinder are great for this.  I use a 60
grit Pferd.  These disks look a little like a flap wheel, but flattened
into a disk.  With a light touch they leave a smooth sanded finish. 
With more pressure they remove material almost as quickly as a grinding
disk.

--
Steve Hampson                           
Blue Sky Research
534 SW 3rd Ave
Portland, OR 97204
503-222-9571
503-222-1643 fax

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Bartel)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 14:04:51 GMT

> (It would be nice if the parts were was not destroyed in the process. :-)

Portable grinder or, if spot welded, drill out the welds.

 - les

-- 
	Les Bartel               Spec: Specification or Speculation???
  Intergraph Corporation
  Electronics Division
     Huntsville, AL
    [email-masked]
      (205) 730-8537