Subject: Tumbling

From: [email-masked] (Laurence R Swain)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 14:57:19 GMT

We are making jewelery and decorative pieces out of CRS, plasma cut.  
Would like to find out is tumbling is a better way to finish fabricated 
pieces than wire-brushing, etc.

Can anyone point me to reference material re tumbling -- How well it 
works with steel pieces, what results to expect, who offers tumbling as a 
contract service, etc.?

-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Bruce Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 23:34:45 -0500

>works with steel pieces, what results to expect, who offers tumbling as a 
 
Viberators are much more effeective than tumbling.  Wet or dry they are almost
maintenance free and cost little to operate.  Check any industrial supply
or look in th4e yellow papges under metal finishing.  Good luck.

---

From: PAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 94 07:44:06 -0500

>pieces than wire-brushing, etc.
 
tumbling is a much better way to finish about any metal. If your peices are not
too big, you can do it yourself by either ordering some tumbling "media" or
just using sand. if you have a lathe, you may devise a method of hol
ding a paint canor some other vessel eccentrically so that it "turns out of
round" place your media, and your jewelry in it until it is 1/3 to 1/2 full.
turn it slow, and come back in a few hours. The Thomas' Regional Buying Guides
are allways the place
to start looking for vendors of this media. Mine here in New England lists:
	New England Sales Inc.
	740 Corporate Park
	Pembroke Ma.  02359		tel:(617) 826-8855
					Fax:(617) 826-2390
There are a variety of different medias availablr, from sand, to plastics with
impregnated abrasives to simple wooden pegs. the appropriate one is governed by
the material to be finished,and the finish desired. Good luck!