Subject: WANTED: info on gravitram building

From: [email-masked] (Joseph L. Todd)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 08:21:33 -0800

I'm a newbie to this newsgroup.  Since following it for a week or so and 
reading the FAQ, I have to say it looks like one of the best supported 
groups, and best of all, posters don't seem to stray from the newsgroup 
topic.  Congratulations!

I'm not a metalworker.  The closest I've come is using a cutting torch to
make rebar chunks from long pieces.  I also recently took a class at the
local community college that covered welding, foundry work, sheet metal
work, and other introductory topics.  However, I've been wanting to make a
gravitram since I first saw one several years ago.  This looks like the
right group to provide informed opinions. 

My main questions are:
 1) What material should I use for the ball bearing runs?  I've thought I
would you some larger diameter welding rods, but I'm open to any and all
suggestions. 

 2) How do I connect the material together. Weld/solder/braze or ??

 3) Does anyone have any good suggestions on designing a lift to return
the ball bearings from the catch point in the bottom to their starting
point on the top? 

 4) What are good sources for a motor and any gearing I would need?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Joe Todd

-- 
[email-masked]  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)