Subject: SilverSmithing, I would like to start!

From: [email-masked] (James Morrow)
Date: 26 Nov 1994 18:36:39 GMT

I asked this question before on the Internet. I got an answer and lost 
the paper I had written it on.  I live in North Carolina.  I would love 
to learn Silversmithing.  Where can I learn it.  Would I have to invest a 
great deal of money on books and equipment and have at it?  Is just one 
Hell whole of alot of Practice required?
  Where are there Trade shows for this sort of thing?  Are there 
Silversmithing Conventions around the Country?  Where can I get a better 
idea of how to do this sort of Thing?:)

James Morrow
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (21012d)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 02:22:01 GMT

>idea of how to do this sort of Thing?:)
 
Always practice, always more to learn....
you might look for a pair ov books 
  Indian Jewelry Making (vol 1, vol 2)
  by Oscar T Branson
   ISBN 0-918080-15-0
   ISBN 0-918080-17-7

  You can Make most of the tools you need from
common scrap,  These books are not the best
(but are very good) on step by step learning but
the excellent illustrations and the historical context
of reservation silver smiths is very good.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Taylor)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 07:12:41 GMT

Hi James:

You also might try following rec.crafts.jewelry.

          _____________________ 
         /      James at       \       
        / Everybody's Bookstore \
        |515 6th.  Rapid City,SD|   
        |      605-341-3224     |     
        [email-masked]
James Morrow ([email-masked]) wrote:
:   I asked this question before on the Internet. I got an answer and lost 
: the paper I had written it on.  I live in North Carolina.  I would love 
: to learn Silversmithing.  Where can I learn it.  Would I have to invest a 
: great deal of money on books and equipment and have at it?  Is just one 
: Hell whole of alot of Practice required?
:   Where are there Trade shows for this sort of thing?  Are there 
: Silversmithing Conventions around the Country?  Where can I get a better 
: idea of how to do this sort of Thing?:)

: James Morrow
: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MarcK3)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 12:40:03 -0500

I teach Silversmithing in my own shop and have found 3 excelent books that
relate to smithing.
1. "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight $14.98. Lots of very
practical information with good illistrations. ISBN 0-87192-240-1

2. "Jewelry Concepts and Technology" by Oppi Untreacht $100.00. This is an
extensive encyclopedic book covering just about everything you would want
to know. ISBN  0-385-04185-3.  He has another book "Metal Tehniques for
Craftsmen" $75.00 that is somewhat of an abridged version of the other
book.

3. "Silversmithing" by Finegold $35.00 This is an excelent book if you are
really after smithing and not jewelry making. It has very good
discriptions of the smithing process and walks you through a few projects
like a bowl, box with hinge and others.

The "Society of North American Gold Smiths" S.N.A.G. publishes a quarterly
mag. called "Metalsmith" and a by monthly news letter. You get these with
a $55 membership.  The membership also gives you a discount on the anual
confrence. The confrence this year is in April in New Orleans.  Contact
them at 813-977-5326 or in the net at [email-masked]

Marc Kerr
[email-masked]