Subject: Seeking advice - bench grinders

From: [email-masked] (Bob Powell)
Date: 24 Dec 1994 09:03:14 GMT

This must be a common question; a good answer would make an
excellent addition to the FAQ.  Hopefully I've done a good job
of asking many of the relevant questions, if you think FAQ
perhaps the magnitude of the request won't seem so bad.

Having a hard time figuring out by what path to upgrade from my
Taiwan Delta 6" bench grinder with its default grey wheels, and
my steel-backed diamond stone, to a setup more suitable for
grinding carbide and HSS lathe tools, and with suitable jigs
(that I would make over time), end mills, jointer knives, etc.

In particular, I have a lifetime supply of carbide and HSS lathe
tool bits and HSS end mills in just the right sizes, should I be
so fortunate as to be able to recover them from junk-bin condition.

Seems like the simplest path is just to get a pink wheel for the
HSS and a green one for the carbide, and stick with the cheap
grinder for now for all rapid stock removal and for most
sharpening.  But the local industrial supply doesn't sell pink
or green wheels narrow enough (3/4") to fit inside the guard.
Perhaps that's a clue regarding this grinder ...

I understand the slow-wheel grinders (Tormek etc.) are great for
large HSS knives, but that such a grinder is not appropriate for
carbide, green wheel or not.  Or is it just a question of
needing a separate fast grinder for rapid stock removal?

And what about the ~ $300 Taiwan "Carbide Grinders", that are
set up for side grinding with cup wheels as well as
conventional?  What advantage does this style of grinder have?

IPS has import diamond wheels for $100.  In what situations are
these used instead of green / silicon carbide?

In what ways are a $300 Baldor or Milwaukee grinder better than
a similar style $80 Taiwan?  It seems even in the cheap ones
it's easy to find true arbors and good bearings.  Is that not
the case?    (Assuming the arbors haven't bent in shipping.)

How much of a factor is end-play in the bearings, presumably
a factor when using cup wheels or otherwise side grinding?

I see at least the following choices, ideally one of which will
handle all my needs:

1. Find 6" x 3/4" pink and green wheels for now, and stick with
hand sharpening on the diamond stone.

2. Buy a bigger, better conventional bench grinder with
appropriate wheels, and invest in jigs for that.

3. Buy an import "carbide grinder", invest in jigs.

4. #1, and also buy a slow-wheel grinder (Taiwan, Makita,
Tormek) for fine sharpening.

I try to buy for lifetime investment when possible, and so would
be willing to drop $300 for a good grinder, given some
understanding as to why I'd want to do that.

Much appreciated.

Bob