Subject: Re: Source for small hex stock

From: [email-masked] (M.J. DiGirolamo)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 03:42:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Don
Kozlovsky) wrote:

> I am looking for steel and brass hex stock in the following sizes:
>      7/32, 3/16, 5/32 and 1/8.
> Does anyone know of a source for these small sizes (Yes I am silly 
> enough to try to make these small hex screws).  I am in the Chicago area 
> so a source as close to Chicago would be nice.
>                                    Thanks in advance,
>                                    Don Kozlovsky
 Dear Don,

  Ha, I had to laugh since I posted nearly the exact same request about a
month ago.  I too am gonna make my own hex head bolts.

  I have just ordered the brass and steel hex stock from Nolan Supply
Corp.  You will have great difficulty finding the 32nd inch stuff in
Brass.  If you DO find it somewhere, please notify me. In steel, it was
not a problem except that it was back-ordered for about two weeks.  I
would suggest that you call Ed Nolan at (800) 398-4372; he is in Buffalo. 
I found their prices about as good as I could find anywhere.

  Now, what are you gonna do about those 32nd inch hex collets?  Write and
I'll tell you how I bypassed the problem of spending $72.50 each at
Hardinge Bros for them.

Regards,

Michael J. DiGirolamo, O.D.,F.A.A.O.
Doctor of Optometry
Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
[email-masked]
Charlottesville, VA

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Kozlovsky)
Date: 26 Jan 1995 01:01:36 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (BrnzCaster)
Date: 26 Jan 1995 07:33:04 -0500

The following company has your needs listed in their catalog:

Power Model Supply Co.
13260 Summit Drive
De Soto, MO  63020
1-314-586-6466

Winston

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 26 Jan 1995 17:16:44 -0800

>so a source as close to Chicago would be nice.

Don't know of a source in Chi but you could try T. E. Conklin Brass & 
Copper Co. 345 Hudson St. NY. NY 10014 - was 800-225-5510, and may still 
be.  They have every size of hex brass in 12' lengths from 1/8" to 7/16" 
by 1/32" increments, and then it goes up to 3" hex by 1/16" with some odd 
sizes thrown in such as 23/32.  They got it in round, square, flat, 
gauge, strip, dimension plate, wire, rectangular rod, pipe, round tube, 
square tube, rectangular tube, angle, channel.  They state that small 
orders are important.

This is not only brass, but bronze, copper, monel, muntz, nickel silver, 
etc., in several alloys.  I would doubt they have every alloy in every 
size.  Ask for the Conklin Index.  For locals the phone is 212-691-5100.

If anyone on this newsgroup ends up giving them a try, please post the 
results.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (M.J. DiGirolamo)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 22:11:50 GMT

>...you could try T. E. Conklin Brass & 

Dear Jerry,

  The (800) number is good.  Only problem may be with the size of the
order.  Opening order is $100, subsequent orders are $50 minimum.  Price
quoted to me for a 12 foot piece of 360 Brass Hex stock in 5/32 was $25.00
(maybe a bit on the high side?)  I got the definite feeling that the
prices are negotiable with quantity.

Best regards,

Mike DiGirolamo
[email-masked]
Charlottesville, VA