Subject: How to transfer a laser printout to metal?

From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
Date: 13 Aug 1994 16:20:08 -0600

I would like to transfer or etch a piece of metal with drawings
I have made in the computer.  Does anyone have any good
ideas how to do this?  Now days don't the people that etch 
circuit boards do something like this by drawing them up and
printing them out somehow to metal that are then etched?
What about tee-shirts iron-ons?  Don't they print out on some
sort of paper that is then transferred to the tee-shirt?

Thanks for any help!

---

From: [email-masked] (Harvey Fishman)
Date: 14 Aug 1994 00:30:22 -0400

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay) says

> sort of paper that is then transferred to the tee-shirt?

Suggest that you print to a transparency.  Then retouch that with an
opaque and a knife to be sure that there is solid stuff where and only
where you want it.  Then get photosensitized sheet of metal or some
emulsion and coat your own.  You need an emulsion that forms a suitable
etch resist when processed.  Contact print your transparancy to the
sensitized metal sheet, and finally etch.  You made need an additional
reversal step somewhere along here depending on the characteristics of the
emulsion, but that can be done in the computer.

There are a LOT better ways to do this, but these steps can all be done
with a xerographic printer and on your kitchen table.  You might also
check with some local plating shops to see if they can do this from your
bitmapped or other images on disk.  I have no idea, but if you are talking
any kind of quantity, this is no longer a kitchen table project.

Harvey

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Harvey Fishman   |
[email-masked] |    When in doubt, set it in Cheltenham and center it.
  718-258-7276    |

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Crawford)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 19:22:03

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Steve Lindsay)
>Subject: How to transfer a laser printout to metal?
>Date: 13 Aug 1994 16:20:08 -0600

>Thanks for any help!

     I recall seeing an article on this in _Flash Magazine_.  Basically, they 
printed to a release paper (or the backing paper from lables) using a standard 
laser printer and then applied the toner to the metal.  The toner acted as a 
resist for some acids.

     You can reach Walter of Black Lightning (publisher of Flash Mag) at 
[email-masked] or [email-masked].  He should be able to tell 
you what back issue contains that article.  If you have trouble finding it, 
let me know.  I still have my back issues ...

                                                           -Andrew
                                                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John O. Kopf)
Date: 17 Aug 1994 19:46:12 GMT

I can't swear to this, not having tried it, but many of the "xerox" or laser
printers use an ink that "sets" on the application of heat.  This suggests
that it also melts, and could be used transfered to another surface using
something like a hot iron.

JK

---

From: [email-masked] (Arthur Mercer)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 18:41:09 -0500

[email-masked]

There is a product (advertised in electronic magazines) for etching circuit 
boards from laser printouts. Basically it is a page of clear plastic 
material, which you laser print or photocopy with the design. The sheet is 
then "ironed" onto the metal, the toner is released from the sheet by the 
heat and acts as the resist mask on the metal.
I have heard that ordinary laser (photocopy) transparancy sheets work as 
well, but don't last as long or are as forgiving of variations in ironing 
temperatures, pressures, etc.. 

One product is TEC-200 film. 10 sheets for $5.95, including instructions. A 
supplier is DC Electronics - order line is 1-800-423-0070. (I am not 
associated in anyway with them.)

Art

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Mould)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 23:22:53 +0000

> sort of paper that is then transferred to the tee-shirt?

A lot depends on the quantity as to whether you want to do the job
in-house or not.

You might consider contacting a company local to you which makes
metal solder paste masks for the SMD PCB trade.  The cost is very reasonable,
and we usually get a 1 to 2 day turnaround.  The etch may be specified
to any depth, including right through (as for a paste screen).

The companies we use will all accept computer files either on disk
or uploaded via modem, though you will need to check what format they
can use.

To do in-house, contact a printing supply company, who should have
everything you need to make your own.  Pad-printing uses etched metal
plates, so try someone who sells pad-printing machinery supplies.

If your local yellow-pages don't help, e-mail me & I can give you
contacts here in U.K. of the companies we use.

-- 

Dave Mould
>>>>>>>> Sig space for rent.  Apply within.