Subject: Did you build Gingery's Lathe?

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: 12 Jan 95 14:23:21 CST

Come on all you guys who claim to have built the
Gingery Lathe.

Where he tells you to cast with pot metal what did
you use?  Where did you get the stuff?

---
	-David  [email-masked]

-- 
	-David  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 17:18:35 -0800

>you use?  Where did you get the stuff?

Anybody mention going to an auto wrecking yard and getting broken 
carburetter bodies - or to a carb rebuilding place and getting their 
scrap?  Carbs used to be made of Zamak, so did grills before they went to 
plastic.  You can get rather pure zinc at any boatyard.  Zincs are used 
for electrolysis prevention in salt water.  Many times these are left 
laying around for awhile before they finally get recycled.  You aren't 
likely to find much of this in Mn, however, but new zinc would be in a 
boat supply catalogue (at a higher price than a metal supplier, no doubt).

The yellow pages might have the address of a local die caster who could 
turn out to be cooperative....

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 04:18:34 GMT

>you use?  Where did you get the stuff?

I just subbed materials. I don't remember what he calls for in zinc,
perhaps the split nut? For that, I used a welded up affair, attaching
two nuts to a disk and cutting them in half afterward. The handles
were made from al round as I pooped out on making those patterns.

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 07:21:51 GMT

I made all of my castings from aluminum.  I did NOT cast his
split nut design.  I fabricated mine with a nut cut in half,
some small taps and dies, and silver solder.  I did NOT cast
the apron "..an easy casting, just a rectangle of ..."  I
bought new bar stock to size.  I did NOT scrape true a 24"
piece of CRS, I bought flat ground steel from MSC.  I have
since done some zinc castings and I do like the way it works.
I got some of the zinc out of old floppy disk drives -- 8"
floppy disk grabbers and such were zinc -- it's easy to melt
and pour and I don't need anywhere near the heat...
-- 
    - Barry Workman