Subject: Re: How to remove rust fr

From: [email-masked] (Darrell Markewitz)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 12:36:42 GMT

If I might make a fast suggestion:
You will certainly get secondary corrosion after using an acid bath
unless you NEUTRALIZE rather than DILUTE the solution.
Wash your piece in a 'basic' solution - baking soada and water would do.
I would suggest scrubbing or steel wool on the surface too, to remove
any deposits left behiend (metal salts  ar the like)
Ive done a fair amount of etching over the years on a nuber of metals,
with various solutions. It works for me.
the WAREHAM FORGE
Hamlet of Wareham
RR #2, Proton Stn
Ont, CDN -  N0C 1L0
(519) 923- 9219
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 18:49:55 GMT

>>>>> "Darrell" == Darrell Markewitz <[email-masked]> writes:

Darrell> If I might make a fast suggestion:

Darrell> You will certainly get secondary corrosion after using an
Darrell> acid bath unless you NEUTRALIZE rather than DILUTE the
Darrell> solution.  Wash your piece in a 'basic' solution - baking
Darrell> soada and water would do.  

Sorry to have to disagree with you, but common practice in the
electroplating industry is to always follow a basic dip with an acid
dip to neutralize the basic.  This is because acids wash off very easy
with water and basics do not.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California