Subject: Re: Yet more knife questions

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 22:41:14 GMT

[email-masked] (Pete Bellas) writes:

>Well, yet some more neophyte knife building questions:

>Stamping:
>	I would like to stamp my initials into the tang of the knives
>I make. Can this be done after heat treating or is the steel too hard.
>If you do this before, how do you clean the scale/etc. out of the
>depressions after it is heat treated?

When I was teaching jewelry at Santa Monica City College we would normally
stamp metals before any final soldering/treating process.  The idea was to
allow the scale into the stamped area.  The surface was then cleaned and the
stamping would have a natural darkness to it so that it would stand out.

>Bolsters:
>	I know guards are soldered on, how about bolsters ( or are they
>just peened)? Can you solder nickle silver

I don't know about tin/lead solder but nickle silver can be silver soldered
just like sterling....
-- 
    - Barry Workman