Subject: Re: Any health hazards from metal polish (Flitz)?

From: [email-masked] (dale)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 06:35:46 GMT

Alvin Chia-Hua Shih ([email-masked]) wrote:
> I'd bought a tube of Flitz to polish my pocket knife, but was wondering
> if it'd be ok to polish the oxidized brass frames of my glasses.

> If when perspiring heavily, sweat that drips off my glasses has a green
> tint, so I imagine that any polish that I put on my glasses may get
> into my eyes.

> So, is Flitz safe to get into my eyes?  Are there other polishes I
> should consider for polishing my glasses?  Indeed, can I polish
> cookware with this stuff without ingesting nasty chemicals?

> Thanks.

> ACS

Contact the store where you bought the tube and request the Material 
Safety Data Sheet.  If they can't get you one, request it in writing.  
They then have 30 days to get you one by federal law.  -OSHA Regulations-

Dale Tersey	    ///   The only certainty in the world is change... \\\
[email-masked]	    \\\   ...and we are right on schedule!	       ///

---

From: [email-masked] (Erik Halberstadt)
Date: 12 Aug 1994 18:17:34 -0700

Alvin Chia-Hua Shih ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'd bought a tube of Flitz to polish my pocket knife, but was wondering
: if it'd be ok to polish the oxidized brass frames of my glasses.

: If when perspiring heavily, sweat that drips off my glasses has a green
: tint, so I imagine that any polish that I put on my glasses may get
: into my eyes.

: So, is Flitz safe to get into my eyes?  Are there other polishes I
: should consider for polishing my glasses?  Indeed, can I polish
: cookware with this stuff without ingesting nasty chemicals?

: Thanks.

: ACS
: -- 

As  I recall, Flitz has a petroleum solvent base. I woudln't want it near 
MY eyes or any other sensitive part, including my skin.

My favorite metal polishing system is to rub a block of jeweler's rouge 
on a piece of leather and rub the leather on the metal. Wotks great for 
small stuff...

Erik