Subject: Adjusting play through bearing replacement?

From: [email-masked] (Vince Miller)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 15:02:12 GMT

I have an old Craftsman 3-wheel bandsaw.  I need to replace the bearings on 
one of the wheels.  There is play in the two wheels that idle.  I was 
wondering if bearings come in minute incrediments to take up such play.  The 
shaft is 5/8 and the inside dia of the wheel is 3/4.  Do roller bearings 
come in sizes like 5/8 -.002 or something?

Thanks,

Vince

---

From: [email-masked] (Vince Miller)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 15:24:28 GMT

Er, make that 5/8 + .002 or something

---

From: PAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 94 12:26:14 -0500

>come in sizes like 5/8 -.002 or something?
 
Vince, no bearings do not come in small increments. Generally speaking, fract-
ional sized bearings are readily available, but the industry tends to lean
towards metric sized bearings. Your best bet may be to turn down the shaft
diameter to 15mm and open up the hole that the O.D. of the bearing fits into to
the
next metric size larger. Also, in this application, make sure you get sheilded
bearings to keep out dirt and saw chips. A good supplier is Bearings Inc,with
outlets nationwide. I do not have a national number, but the number for them
here in New Hampshire is (603) 749-2121. Be sure to have the dimensions of what
you now are using ( I.D., O.D. ,and thickness.) They will be able to reccommend
a replacement.
good luck    Paul