Subject: Auction report

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 25 Jan 1995 21:23:12 GMT

A fairly large local stamping plant went on the block today, so I went
down to see if there were any deals.  Unfortunately, none were evident.
Here are some prices:

LeBlond Regal 15x54 quick change geared head lathe:  $6K

Royal Schultz 6x18 hand feed surface grinder:        $1800

Reid 6x18 hand feed surface grinder:                 $3400

Parker Majectic 6x18 hand feed surface grinder:      $11K

Miller 300A ac/dc inert gas welding power supply:    $1400

Hammond abrasive belt grinder:                       $500

Van Norman #26 Universal milling machine:            $700

Gould & Eberhardt 20" plain shaper:                  $250

DoAll 16" Vertical band saw:                         $1400

Bridgeport 1.5hp variable speed mill w dro:          $4500

Except for the shaper and the Van Norman mill, there weren't any
bargains. The Bridgeport price seemed pretty steep, I've seen similar
ones go for under $1800.  I expected the LeBlond to go in the $3K
range. I was interested in the DoAll, but not at that price (it must
have been 30 years old and didn't look particularly well maintained,
was missing parts, etc.).  My rule of thumb for old equipment is 50
cents a pound, max :-)

Really beatup Wilton bench vises were going for > $80.  Increments on
the small stuff were in the $25 range (ouch).  No nickle or dime stuff
at all.

Ah well, that's the down side of a booming economy.

On the other hand, I did get to see a guy spend $1.5 million in about
a minute (ok, maybe two minutes) when he got the winning bid on three
600 ton presses for half a million each.  I guess that was worth the price 
of admission.

Maybe the crowd at the next auction will be a little more parsimonious.
-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, Michigan  USA]
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html