Subject: Finishes on knives

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:28:14 GMT

I am building a couple of knives where I want to use a different finish on
the blade rather than the standard polished or satin.

One is a working knife for a sailing friend of mine. My thoughts for this
blade are to bead (or sand?) blast, or possibly something like parkerized
or marinecoat.

The second is a display curved stiletto. I want a dark finish on this
one and thought of gun blued or some sort of oxide finish.

Help me out here, any thoughts on these or other possibilities? Any places
that do the above finishes?

Thanks.

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *

---

From: [email-masked] (Bryan Dawson)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 20:04:23 GMT

[email-masked] (Pete Bellas) writes:
>one and thought of gun blued or some sort of oxide finish.
:

When I worked in my father's sharpening shop (years ago) we made hunting
knives in the Winter.  We finished these with gun bluing which can be
purchased in small bottles from any good gun shop.  For best results, the
metal must be REALLY CLEAN (we did ours right after final polishing and were
careful not to touch the surface).  I'm sure that instructions will come
with the gun bluing -- we just dabbed it on with cotton balls, wait a bit
for it to dry, and then shine it up with a fine grade of steel wool...

BTW:  this finish, though unusual looking for folks used to *silver*
colored knives, is actually a very good finish for preventing rust and will
stand up to fairly hard use...

--
Bryan Dawson & Clan IvyMist    Reality Overflows Perception
[email-masked]  'polytruth' on IRC