Subject: drill sharpener?

From: [email-masked] (Henry E Schaffer)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 15:20:41 GMT

The faq says:
 Sharpening drill bits has never seemed easy.  If you have lots of
money, Darex makes drill and mill sharpeners, and Glendo's Accu-
Finish line addresses simpler cutting bits (and they even re-sell
some Darex tools in conjunction with their grinders).  Black and
Decker reportedly make a decent drill sharpener (1/8" to 1/2")
for around $250.
           ^^^^
  
  Smithy sells a "Precision Power Grinder" which is supposed to sharpen
drill bits (7/64" - 3/8") and other things.  It is only $53.

  Does anyone know if it is a "decent drill sharpener"?

--henry schaffer

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 00:53:50 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes: 

>
>Hi. I just finished making the Potts drill grinding jig (castings from
>Woking Precision Models in England). I was very careful making it. It's
> a good home shop project. The action is very smooth and it does a lovely
>job. If you care, it puts a 112 degree point with 10 degrees of relief. The
>cutting edges are a true 180 degrees and equidistant from the center which
>is 135 degrees from the lead cutting edge. In other words, it puts totally
>'stock' angles on the drill, but puts them there almost perfectly. It only
>takes a couple of minutes to touch up a drill. And they're as sharp as new.
>American money, the castings are about $40 once you pay either VAT or
>shipping. They're nice castings. I'd recommend the jig. It was fun to make
>and not terribly hard although you do have to pay good attention.
> 
>Charlie
>

Charlie,

What is the range of drill sizes the jig can handle?  What is the address (and 
fax # if possible) to order it and will they take a credit card order?

Do you have a choice of angles and reliefs?  e.g., can one sharpen a drill for 
use in brass or sheetmetal or aluminum, all of which should receive different 
angles.

Thanks for the report.

Mike

P.S.  My Machine technology instructor forced us to learn how to properly 
sharpen drills freehand.  It works, and works well, but you have to 
concentrate.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 18:47:14 -0500

Charlie