Subject: filing machines

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Brown)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 12:03:41 GMT

I found one I'm thinking of buying.  Anyone have experience with these ?
Love them ? Hate them ? Find them useful ?  In general, I'm soliciting
recommendations positive or negative.

Geoffrey Brown
PS  I'm always looking for attachments & 4OS collets for my Rivett lathe.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Stryker)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 13:02:32

>>recommendations positive or negative.

  I have one..can't recall the mfg name right now...paid $90...1/3 hp motor,
tilt table, uses special files, but I managed to fit one from my collection
to it alright.  If you want to file at an angle, its great, since you can
set the table slope quite accurately.   (For 90' its ok, of course, too.)
I don't use it a whole lot.  For small jobs the manual file is used.  For
bigger jobs I use the mill.   I have used it mostly for production work.
Hold small parts in a jig and file away the high spots. 
  The file itself gets worn unless you can adjust its position
relative to the worktable...and the worn file tends to cause you to push
more on the workpiece...then it grabs....your finger can get pinched...
and now you have irritated yourself and perhaps spoiled the workpiece.
This has happened enough that I have actually considered making an emory paper
clip holder and using this beast as a glorified sanding machine!  (A belt
linished would do better, due to the higher surface speed and the large
abrasive surface of the belt.)
  For $50, buy it....for $500 forget it, IMHO.