Subject: Grizzly Milling Attachment

From: [email-masked] (Kurt Schaefer)
Date: 24 Jan 1995 01:25:53 GMT

I've recently purchased a Grizzly 8"x18", and I was wondering if anyone
has used Grizzly's milling attachment on this sized lathe.  The 
catalog says something about "modifications" needed for using the
milling attachment.  I called them up, and they said something about 
turning down the feet.  (Of the Milling attachment?) and drilling 
some holes.  (In the compound slide?) The person I was talking to was
relaying questions to one of the technical people so it was kind of 
hard to get the details out of him.  Has anyone done this modification?
How useful do you find the milling attachment?  I'm kind of 
worried that because the lathe is only an 8" and the compound slide is 
already way up there that it might not give you much in the way of 
useful milling.  I'd also kind of like to hear what kind of tooling 
people are using out there.  The grizzly doesn't have that standard 
t-slot on the compound slide, so I was kind of worried that I couldn't 
use much in the way of standard tooling.  Could I make some kind of 
T-slot block that would bolt onto my cross slide?  I'm kind of new
to this, so I guess I'm interested in any feedback, suggestions 
people have.

    Thanks!
        -Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 24 Jan 95 09:08:30 MST

I had no idea that Grizzly had a milling attachment for the 8x18!
I've got one (8x18), and am in the process of dumping it for a Jet 13x40,
in some part due to that non-standard compound.

You are right about it not having much room.  My big complaint was
that the whole saddle/cross/compound wasn't as rigid as I needed but
maybe I was doing bigger jobs that it was designed for.  The tooling
clamp, with appropriate shims, was still able to hold carbide-insert
cutters, round boring bars, and a 1-inch-diameter flatted-side boring
bar (though boring into a 5-inch-deep hole caused more leverage than
it liked!).

It's too bad if you have to drill holes in the compound instead of
using the stupid bolt that sticks up.  This may let a lot of crud onto
the screw unless you can drill and tap a blind hole.  I could have used
a milling attachment, it might have saved me the cost of a Sherline mill!
(but i have no complains now!).

Does yours have lube holes for the spindle?  Mine does but the manual
does not discuss nor show them.  They are directly above the spindle
bearings on the headstock casting, capped by brass threaded plugs.
Wasn't sure if this was a late revision (to the lathe but not the manual)
or if I accidentally got a high-end unit (Jet?) that had failed some
test and was downgraded to a Grizzly.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Kuzmack)
Date: 24 Jan 1995 20:04:02 -0500

Kurt Schaefer in message-ID: <[email-masked]> asked:

>milling attachment. 

I suspect that you may be trying to use an attachment intended for 12 and
13 inch lathes on an 8 incher.  While the 1995 Grizzly catalog is not very
specific, the 1994 and earlier catalogs were quite clear that the model
G1080 milling attachment was an option for 12 inch lathes.  Forcing it
onto the 8x18, if it can be done, is not going to leave much of its range
accessible.  You may want to reconsider, and save yourself the $200.  

Rich Kuzmack     ([email-masked])