Subject: Re: Advice on shops in li

From: [email-masked] (Carl Mork)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 05:37:00 GMT

to: [email-masked] 
 -=> Quoting Yenhai Harold Tay to All <=-
 
 YHT> Hi!  
 YHT> On the subject of shops in small spaces, has anyone made his/her shop
 YHT> in a van? I'm thinking of putting mine in my 1972 VW bus.  I have no
 YHT> equipment yet, but I'd like to build a 7" lathe, and put in a small
 YHT> foundry for casting.  That way always have my shop no matter where I
 YHT> go.  (I'm a student, and I move from apartment to apartment, etc.)

     An interesting idea.  It has several advantages that I can see, but 
 a few disadvantages too.

     The disadvantages are:
     it is going to be cold in winter( and don't tell me it doesn't get cold
     in Texas!)
     Someone could steal the vehicle.
     you'd better not stand up.

     But I like the idea cause it gets it out of the home and thus cuts down
     on screaming landlords, insurance co., etc.  You can work on a piece 
     wherever you are and if you do things to sell at craft shows you could
     demonstrate( which drags in the customers!).

     You'll need to put in good ventilation  and a security system and a
     water tank for quenching.  Tell us how it works out.

... The preceding was another naughty thought for [email-masked]!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12