Subject: Forge Firepot (Tuyere)???

From: [email-masked] (K.F.Kinsey)
Date: 20 Jan 1995 12:56:47 GMT

Need a source for a good heavy duty firepot (tuyre) for a blacksmith forge
in a museum restoration. Since this will be used 6 hours/day all season
long and we want it to last, "make do" arrangements are not a solution.
Need good solid, cast iron construction. The commercial hardware house that
used to carry them no longer lists them.  Any suggestions?

k kinsey

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Ayen)
Date: 21 Jan 1995 03:41:49 -0500

>k kinsey

Yep. Centaur Forge Ltd. Their 1993 catalog listsabout ten different 
firepots/tuyre assemblies, including hobbyist and "x-heavy" models. They 
can be reached at:

Centaur Forge Ltd.
117 North Spring Street.
Post Office Box 340
Burlington, WI  53105-0340
(414) 763-9175 (phone)
(414) 763-8350 (fax)

I bought their cheapest model, the "Centaur Vulcan with dumping ashgate" 
back in '90, have never had any problems with it--it has survived 
marathon damascus steel forging sessions, being left outside for five 
years, having folks dump water on it after a day's forging (nearly killed 
that person until I saw that they hadn't hurt the forge), and more 
without sustaining any more damage than a bit of rust and scale. For what 
you want, which I would guess to to be the large, extra-heavy duty 
version, the '93 price is about $350--that gets you the "Buffalo Railroad 
with dumping ashgate", a 14-1/2" x 17" firepot  described as "For use in 
railroad shops or extra heavy blacksmithing... 15" from lip to ashgate, 
4-1/2" deep bowl, 3" diameter blas pipe." 64 lbs. Of course, there are 
lesser firepots available for considerably less. Expect some delay on 
catalogs--my first took 4 months to get in--but the on-line staff are 
excellent at figuring out your needs and helping you both get what you 
want and keep in a budget. 

Just my $.02.

--doug

Gentlemen, I give you the future: Beef			[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (DorianY)
Date: 24 Jan 1995 20:29:47 -0500

The Cumberland General Store catalog has firepots listed 1800-334-4640 
Crossville TN USA