Subject: Need help with siezed brass parts

From: [email-masked] (Mark Gabriele)
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 13:30:12 -0800

Hi, all.  I was recently given an ancient brass blowtorch (the sort that
has a priming pump and priming pan, burns kerosene, and generally looks
pretty cool).  Unfortunately, the priming pump is clogged with the gunk of
the ages, and I wish to disassemble it and clean it out.

Problem:  The bottom end of the pump cylinder is fastened to the lamp by
means of a nut which has an inside diameter of about .75".  It is pretty
much seized
onto the lamp base.  Both pieces are brass, and I've used lots of WD-40 to
try and loosen the thing, but have to date succeeded only in bending the
outside of the nut.  I don't want to use heat, because there are rubber
gaskets inside.

Any ideas on how to undo this thing?

Also:  The lamp is heavily oxidized, has had lots of stuff spill on it,
etc.  I'm thinking of using a fine steel wool to clean it up, followed by
rubbing compound, followed by Brasso.  Will this be ok?  I'd like to make
the lamp into a showpiece, but I want it to work, too.

Thanks in advance.

=Mark
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 8 Feb 1995 00:12:31 GMT

Mark Gabriele ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Problem:  The bottom end of the pump cylinder is fastened to the lamp by
: means of a nut which has an inside diameter of about .75".  It is pretty
: much seized
: Any ideas on how to undo this thing?
	--Just an idea, but if you can get access to an ultrasonic 
cleaner, you might dump the whole thing in for 10min. or so and see if 
anything comes unstuck.

: Also:  The lamp is heavily oxidized, has had lots of stuff spill on it,
: etc.  I'm thinking of using a fine steel wool to clean it up, followed by
: rubbing compound, followed by Brasso.  Will this be ok?  I'd like to make
: the lamp into a showpiece, but I want it to work, too.
	--BTW, I had a notion to clean up a brass plaque, with many 
intricate spaces, using a quantity of, say, Brasso running in the 
above-mentioned ultrasonic, in lieu of toothbrush and elbow grease. Did 
anybody ever try this hack??
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-JOB-TWAT		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 16:47:47 -0800

>outside of the nut.  I don't want to use heat, because there are rubber

Chances are the inside parts are leather ( if it is old enough) and are 
no good anyway.  Pump parts of butyl rubber or leather really don't last 
forever especially if left without use for a long time.  Go ahead, use 
heat, then replace the parts.

>the lamp into a showpiece, but I want it to work, too.

Oxidation on the outside doesn't necessarily mean that the brass is full 
of scratches or other gouges that you would want to remove.  I would use 
a buffing wheel with rouge first to see what I had, then go at it with 
whatever is needed once seen.  Do start with fine stuff first, you might 
be surprised to find the surface fairly decent.  Rouge is usually 
available at hardware stores.  I don't know if rubbing compound is finer 
or courser than rouge.  In any case remove the rouge gently with a rag 
dampened in paint thinner or kerosene after you have polished.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 17:05:26 -0800

>cleaner, you might dump the whole thing in for 10min. or so and see if 

This is a good idea I never thought of in my previous posting.  I still 
think the leathers or rings may have to be replaced in the pump since I 
have rebuilt three of these things and had to do it every time.  The 
ultrasonic cleaner is a neat gadget and works to free up lots of stuck stuff.

>anybody ever try this hack??

I've never tried to clean anything in an an ultrasonic using other than a 
detergent or methylene chloride (sure cleans paint filled antique hinges) 
but I doubt that an ultrasonic would/could take advantage of any abrasive 
material in solution that would work as a mini-bead blaster effect.

I have used solvents -MeCl, carbon tet, perc, trich, followed by acids 
and bases at controlled pH for various stuff.  But ultimately, good old 
soap and water works well, followed by elbow grease.

The most interesting thing I cleaned was a Vincent Black Shadow cylinder 
head which I put in Alconox detergent at 150 F degrees for 4 hours. I had 
cleaned it first with methylene chloride to get rid of the residual oil.  
Near the end of the cleaning cycle, I added some di-sodium EDTA to 
brighten the surface a bit.  Turned out perfect and the Vincent runs 
beautifully today.  Did both heads in fact.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (RPCoyle)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 00:04:13 -0500

I think that you might have pretty good luck cleaning up the brass by
first soaking it in a hot solution of tri sodium phosphate to get the
grease off. This does a great job and it is not a toxic as organic
solvents. Then try a 5% solution of oxalic acid ( comes as wood bleach in
most hardware stores) and rub it with a little pumice. This has been the
way I have cleaned a lot of brass antiques and it works fine.

Bob Coyle