Subject: Re: USED MACHINE TOOLS in aus.

From: [email-masked] (Drew Diamond)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:05:49

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Allan Hill) writes:
>Path: newsserver.trl.OZ.AU!harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au!merlin!usenet
>From: [email-masked] (Allan Hill)
>Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
>Subject: USED MACHINE TOOLS in aus.
>Date: 13 Feb 1995 00:23:13 GMT
>Organization: A&J Performance
>Lines: 9
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>NNTP-Posting-Host: 134.18.242.37
>X-Newsreader: WinVN 0.92.6+

>Can anybody help me with a source of used lathes etc in
>Australia ( NSW if possible ). I'm after something 
>small and dont care how old it is.

Look in a recent issue of Australian Model Engineering, also try
"The Olde Machinery Marte" (magazine) from P.O. Box 1200, Caboolture QLD, 4510.
(Numerous new and 2nd hand machinery co.'s in Queensland- is it driven by all 
the retired blokes up there?).

It took me about a year to find and secure a good second-hand lathe. Best 
place to look (in my experience ) is the tools & equipment section of your 
local Trading Post-type paper. You have to know your prices, so study the 
"form" for at least three weeks before buying, and do some homework. Ask 
around for opinions and experiences from other metal-working enthusiasts. You 
will soon get an idea on values etc., and spot the "duds" which appear week 
after week. A really good machine will sell very fast (especially the 
home-workshop sized machines), so get the paper early on the day of 
publication, and go round to the seller ASAP, with at least enough cash for a 
substantial deposit to clinch the deal. Don't shilly-shally too much either, 
or some other bloke will get it first.

>What sort of price am I looking at ?

For a lathe of 24" bed, 5" centre height (10") with some chucks and tools, 
perhaps $1000 to $2500. There are some geniune bargains however, and 
good machines well under $1000 do appear (usually after purchasing 
one!).

>Allan Hill
Good luck,
Drew Diamond. Telecom Australia Research Laboratories.

>  [email-masked]