Subject: Hardening longswords

From: [email-masked] (Doug Ayen)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 21:03:32 -0400

I have been a knifemaker for quite a few years, and I would like to get
into making longer, longsword-length blades. Using a combination of hollow
fires on the coal forge with a bit of a boost from an oxy-acetylne torch I
have successfully hardened A-2, leaf-spring, and other steels in lengths
of up to about 22". Beyond that, I find it difficult to maintain an even
heat for the entire length of the blade. 

I am contemplating a couple of different solutions: 1) make an electric 
oven large enough for a sword blade of decent porportions or 2) same but 
with propane. 

What I would like to know is what others have done in similar situations, 
and what the results were.

Thank you.

--doug

But what is truth?					[email-masked]
Is truth unchanging Law?
We both have truths;
Are mine the same as yours?

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Vida-Szucs)
Date: 19 Oct 1994 18:15:59 GMT

> oven large enough for a sword blade of decent porportions or 2) same but 

I am currrently undertaking choice 2.  A propane fired, neutral atmosphere 
forge with a 60" variable capacity.  I'm not finished yet, so I cannot tell
you anything more about it in terms of function, but I have been assured by
the designers that the 12" model upon which mine is based is VERY scalable
to the size I am building to.  They mentioned that someone built a 48"
version and that it works very well.

	-Andy V.	[email-masked]		(Mr. X)

	"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who damage me."

						-Archilochus, 650 BC