Subject: Re: drilling stone

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Feb 1995 16:20:29 -0500

>. . .
>
>We do a little rock hounding around the house and recently tried drilling some
>polished agate with a 0.060" drill coated in diamond.  Used it under water
>on the drill press at ~=5000 rpm - takes about two minutes to penetrate
>a 3/8" rock.  That's smaller diameter than you want but you get the idea.
>The bits come from a rock shop for <$5.00@.
>
>Mark McDade
>
>[email-masked]
>
   Mark: Please clarify what you mean by diamond coated drill... does it
     have geometry similar to brazed carbide tipped masonry drills, or
     is it more like a diamond abrasive burr? Can you post some sources
     of these drills? Sounds like it may have great potential!

                                                    Cheers, Joe.
                                                    [email-masked]