Subject: FAQ part 9 of 10

From: [email-masked] (Jim Kirkpatrick)
Date: 28 Feb 95 18:22:02 MST

This is the FAQ for rec.crafts.metalworking.  It is in several pieces
to keep the overall size of each part below the limits imposed by
some news systems.  This is part 9 of 10.

Generally, units below are United States dollars, degrees Fahrenheit,
and all the other silly backwards units we Americans still use.  Sorry.

The questions being answered in part 1:

0.  Where is this FAQ kept, and where are archives of the newsgroup?
1.  The original rec.crafts.metalworking charter.
2.  The CLOCKS bitnet mailing list, and other related lists.
3.  What are some good books and/or video tapes on metalworking?

The questions being answered in part 2:

4.  Who makes good lathes/mills/etc?
5.  Where do I buy a machine?
6.  What are good magazines to subscribe to?
7.  Where might one take classes or get instruction?
8.  Where can I get raw material for my projects?
9.  Where can I get tools, drill bits, etc.?
10. What are some of the related professional/hobby associations?
11. How do I harden/temper metal?

The questions being answered in part 3:

12  How do I wire up this strange motor?
13. How do I deal with mail-order suppliers?
14. How to sharpen knives, chisels, and other tools?
15. Some safety reminders.
16. How do I drill round holes?
17. What's TIG and MIG?
18. MIG welding technique.

The questions being answered in part 4:

19. Which MIG welder should I buy?
20. Books on welding.
21. Soldering/brazing topics.
22. What are bolt grades?
23. What is XYZ made of?
24. How do I build a furnace or forge?

The questions being answered in part 5:

25. What is Damascus steel?
26. How do I repair/replace this old leather belt?
27. Can I use a drill press as a cheap vertical mill?
28. What is involved in building a steam engine?
29. How do I anodize aluminum?

The questions being answered in part 6:

30. Rust!  How do I deal with rust?
31. Are there any machinery museums?

The questions being answered in part 7

32. How do I cut metal?
33. What kind of oil should I use on my lathe/mill?
34. What are the various tapers (Morse, JT, R8, etc.)?
35. What is Electric Discharge Machining (EDM)?

The questions being answered in parts 8, 9, and 10.

36. Solvent safety
37. What does "gage" (or "gauge") mean?
38. Leveling a lathe.
99. Names and addresses of publishers and suppliers
    (OK, so I got tired of re-numbering it every time a new
    question was added!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  (continued from previous part)

   -  Darex Corporation
      220 Hersey Street
      Box 277
      Ashland, OR  97520
      (503) 488-2224, (503) 488-2229 (FAX)

      Precision drill and end-mill sharpening equipment.  Some of their
      complete systems are very expensive and intended for large
      production shops (around $2000).  They also sell fixtures for use
      with existing grinders (about $250) and sharpeners for taps, reamers,
      and countersinks.

   -  Diamond Pacific Tool Corporation
      25647 West Mail Street
      Barstow, CA  92311-9702
      (800) 253-2954, (619) 255-1030

      A complete selection of diamond cutting bits, saws, powders and
      compounds.  Free catalog.

   -  Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
      (717) 432-4589

      Source for aluminum, steel, tubing, bar, sheets, etc.
      Advertises that they supply: machine shop, race car, airplane building,
      etc.  These people are nice and helpful.  They have shipped orders
      same day with no errors.

   -  Eastwood Company
      (800) 345-1178

      Metal fabrication equipment, welding supplies, etc.  Reportedly,
      the prices are rather high.

   -  EMCO Maier (Consumer Products Division)
      2757 Scioto Parkway
      Columbus, OH 43221-2134
      (800) 521-8289, (614) 771-5990 FAX

      Makers (importer?) of the Unimat and Unimat PC lathes, small mills,
      and such.  They will/do sell direct, you can get a discount (5-15%)
      by dealing with Campbell or Blue Ridge on a package.  Good customer
      service and parts department.

   -  Enco Manufacturing Co.
      13 stocking locations, main site in Chicago, IL (addresses not handy now)
      800-860-3400 (24 hr orders, automatically routes to closest location)
      800-860-3500 (fax, also auto routes)
      Credit cards, COD's up to $500, discount for pre-pay by check
      $25 minimum order
      Customer service & Chicago showroom M-F 7-midnight CST,
      Sa 8-4 CST, Su 9-4 CST

      Lathes, milling machines, etc, from small to large NC machines.
      Hand tools, cutting tools, storage cabinets, shop supplies
      Maker (not just distributer) of turret bed lathes.

      However, many net folks have reported that quality and service are
      between awful and terrible (this author included), and that Enco is
      to be avoided.  This is not a unanimous opinion, but close.

      230 page catalog

   -  Gateway Clocks
      7936 Camberly Drive
      Powell, TN  37849

      Gateway Clocks is apparently a one-man business, in the person
      of W. R. Smith, author of several clockmaking books and one on
      clockmaking and model-making (see earlier section in the FAQ).
      Gateway also sells all of John Wilding's books, and John Wilding
      (in England) sells all of Smith's books, through a reciprocal
      agreement.

   -  Gesswein
      255 Hancock Ave.
      Bridgeport, CT 06605
      (800)243-4466, (203)366-5400, (203)366-3953 fax

      Jewelry-making tools, perhaps more.  On the 800 number, there is
      a voice mail system, and if you just want a catalog you have to
      wait for the last prompt when they let you speak for a longer period
      without being cut off.

   -  Glendo Corporation
      900 Overlander Road
      P.O. Box 1153
      Emporia, KS 66801
      (800) 835-3519, (316) 343-1084, (316) 343-9640 (FAX)

      Their Accu-Finish line of "advanced sharpening equipment"
      includes grinders and fixtures for lathe cutting bits and
      similar tools.  Also, most affordable for the home shop,
      the Grind-R-Table for use with existing grinders.  They often
      run ads in the magazines, or you can call for information.

   -  Grand Tool Supply Corp.
      U.S. Highway 46 & Huyler St.
      Teterboro, NJ 07608
      (800) 922-0512, (201) 288-7090 FAX

      "80,000 inch/metric cutting tools, measuring instruments & equipment
      for the machine shop."  $50 min/order, free catalog.

   -  Griegers
      Pasadena, CA
      (800) 423-4181

      Lost wax casting supplies for jewelry making.  Silver solder and
      flux, gold solder, etc.  Free catalog on request.  Apparently not
      what you'd call low prices, but they do have a good selection.

   -  Grizzly Imports, Inc.

      West of Mississippi:
      P.O. Box 2069
      Bellingham, WA 98227
      (800) 541-5537, (800) 225-0021 (FAX)

      East of Mississippi:
      2406 Reach Road
      Williamsport, PA 17701
      (800) 523-4777, (800) 438-5901 (FAX)

      Imports a wide range of power tools and accessories.  Metal lathes,
      milling machines, as well as lots of woodworking tools.  They also
      sell a belt sander called the "Knife Belt Sander/Buffer."  Among
      the importers of Taiwan-made tools, Grizzly seems to rank fairly
      well compared with Enco or Harbor Freight, though some consider Jet
      to be a bit better (at higher cost).

   -  H & H Foundry Machine Company 
      PO Box 605
      Manor, PA   15665
      (412) 863-3251

      They will accept small one-off cast iron jobs (and probably other
      work as well, just don't know their full scope).  They seem to do good
      work and are reasonably priced, according to D. E. Johnson who wrote
      an article in HSM about building a hefty milling machine attachment
      for a lathe.  The pattern for that project is "on file" with them
      and can be requested.

   -  Harbor Freight Tools
      3491 Mission Oaks Blvd.
      Camarillo, CA  93011-6010
      800 423 2567

      They mostly sell cheap tools.  Usually cheap = inexpensive, sometimes
      cheap = junky.  All (or most all) imported.  They are best for items
      which have a lot of metal in them and for which fine/precision is not
      your main objective.  They have really great buys on anvils, cold chisel
      sets, screwdriver sets, tinsnips, crowbars, ... and free shipping (other
      than a $2.95 handling fee) for orders over $50.

   -  Neil Hemingway
      30 Links View
      Half Acre
      Rochdale
      Lancashire OL11 4DD
      England

      According to Guy Lautard in his Machinist's Bedside Reader,
      Neil has many lathe accessories and kits, many for Myford lathes.
      You might enclose a couple of international reply coupons when asking
      him for a catalog.

   -  High Quality Tools, Inc.
      1327 E. 289th St.
      Wickliffe, OH  44092
      (216) 944-0144, (216) 585-2265 (FAX)

      Replacement parts for Bridgeport milling machines.  Reputedly the
      quality is excellent.  They have a catalog with exploded views
      of all assemblies.  Cheaper than Bridgeport.  See also Lee's.

   -  Industrial Pipe and Steel Co.
      9936 E. Rush Street
      South El Monte, CA  91733
      800-423-4981, 818-443-9467, 818-579-4602 (fax)
      Credit cards, COD's
      M-F 7:30-4:30 PST, Sa 7:30-1 PST

      Cutting tools, hand tools, air tools, lathes, milling machines, you
      name it.  Shop supplies, tool and die maker supplies, you name it.
      Metal of all sorts, you name it.  New and used press die sets.
      Surplus rounds and plates.  Buy by the foot, buy by the pound.
      Most of their metal stock is not listed in the catalog(s).
      Call and ask what they've got.  Definitely oriented toward professional
      users, not hobbyists.  Full line distributors for most instrument makers,
      Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc.  Quality ranges from ultra-classy, great deals,
      garbage-at-any-price import.

      Small catalog several times a year, 200 page catalog once or
      twice a year, and a 750 page full-line catalog once every five
      years.  They came out with a full-line catalog in 92.  Get one if
      you can.

   -  Lee's Machinery
      4089 N. Ridge Road
      Perry OH 44081
      (216) 259-2222

      Bridgeport and South Bend parts, new and used.  The owner, Lee Zinn,
      does used machinery rebuilding of all kinds and has many new and
      used parts and accessories (chucks etc.).  Will also make parts if
      unavailable, or parts that are better than original if needed
      (e.g. South Bend back gears like to break).  See also High Quality Tools.

   -  J. I. Morris Company
      394 Elm Street
      Southbridge, MA 01550
      Phone: (508) 764-4394, (508) 764-7350 (FAX)

      Tiny screws, nuts, washers.  Sizes 0000-16 to 2-56 and popular UNM
      sizes stocked in many head styles and lengths in both brass and
      burr-free stainless.  Matching taps, chasers, and gages available.
      Write/FAX for catalog or send for prompt quotation.  (However, their
      prices are reportedly quite high).

   -  J. Malcolm Wild (Clocks)
      12 Norton Green Close
      Sheffield S8 8BP England
      Telephone: 0742 745693

      Supplies and accessories for clockmaking.

   -  The Jeweler's Loupe 1625 Crenshaw Blvd.  
      Torrance, CA 90501 
      (310)320-7005

   -  Kitts Industrial Tools
      22384 Grand River Avenue
      Detroit, MI  48219
      800-521-6579, 313-538-2585 in MI, 313-538-6499 (fax)
      Credit cards, COD's
      $25 minimum order
      M-Sa 9-5 EST

      Cutting tools, hand tools, air tools, supplies
      Quality ranges from ultra-classy, great deals, garbage-at-any-price
      import.

      150 page catalog, but you have to mail a $2 check (won't accept phone
      orders for catalogs!).

   -  Klockit
      P.O. Box 636
      Lake Geneva, WI  53147
      (800) KLOCKIT    (i.e. (800) 556-2548)

      Books, kits, plans, tools, parts for clocks and watches.

   -  The Knight Foundry
      P.O. Box 158
      81 Eureka St.
      Sutter Creek, CA  95685
      (209) 267-5543  Foundry, (209) 267-1449  Tourism & Education

      This outfit has been casting iron since 1873, and preserves old
      machinery and methods as a sort of living history museum.  They
      also operate a machine shop entirely from a water-powered line
      shaft!  They are doing serious commmercial work, including grey
      iron castings to 4000 lb. for industrial and architectural
      applications.  They do a lot of reproductions and one-offs for
      steam and gas engine nuts.  They also run a pattern shop.

      The proprietor is Ed Arata, a very approachable fellow who apparently
      runs the place with the help of Friends of Knight Foundry, a non-profit
      with historical/educational goals.

   -  Lindsay Publications Inc.
      P. O. Box 538
      Bradley, IL  60915-0538
      (815) 935-5353

      Lindsay publishes books for the home shop, covering casting, forging,
      machining, and a few plans for building engines and such.  It has been
      reported that their catalog is "a bit bizarre" but the service is
      fast.  Their electrical catalog has cross-over projects that include
      light (pun intended?) metalworking.

   -  Little Engines
      13486 Carapace Court
      Manassas, VA 22111
      (703) 791-5322

      Plans, castings, accessories for model rail motive power.

   -  Mason & Sullivan
      210 Wood County Industrial Park
      Parkersburg, WV  26102-1686
      800-225-1153 (orders), 800-535-4486 (technical advice),
      800-535-4482 (customer service), 304-428-8271 (FAX)

      Supplier of clock kits, plans, parts, and tools.  In business since
      1947, they recently went out of business, and have re-appeared
      owned in part by the employees, though they also appear to be
      affiliated with the Woodcraft company (same address!)

   -  McMaster-Carr Supply Company
      PO Box 440
      New Brunswick NJ 08903-0440 USA
      (908) 329-3200 (Sales), (908) 329-6666 (Other Departments),
      (908) 329-3772 (FAX)

      Also has stocking sales centers in Atlanta, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

      Note that they apparently only deal with companies.  Jim Harres reports
      that they refused to send him a catalog.

      Prints an annual 2600+ page catalog.  Very complete supplier with tools,
      screws, shelving, wheels, lamps, heaters, air conditioners, plumbing, 
      electrical supplies, plastics, metals, pumps, containers, motors, gauges,
      paint brushes, hooks, door hardware, pH testers, microscopes, etc.
      Metric and english threads and sizes, too. Small bits of information,
      reference charts and advice are scattered throughout the catalog.

      No minimum order.  Satisfaction Guaranteed, whatever that means.  
      No problem with returns, but they ask that you get specific return
      instructions before shipping anything back.  All prices subject to
      change.  Visa and MasterCard accepted.  Prices are quoted plus actual
      shipping.

      Experience with McMaster-Carr is very good.  They do update
      (read: raise) their prices frequently, so don't believe catalog prices.
      Get a quote before buying.  Expect the catalog to be 10% low.
      Shipments have been prompt, complete, and accurate.  Prices seem 
      high, but they make up for it with "one-stop" shopping.

   -  Merritt's Antiques, Inc.
      P.O. Box 277
      Douglassville, PA 19518-0277
      (610) 689-9541, (610) 689-4538

      Clocks, clock parts, clock repairing tools, etc.

   -  Metal Buyer's Mart, Ltd. (formerly Metal By Mail)
      N-15 W 22218 Watertown Road, Unit #3
      Waukesha, WI  53186
      (800) 657-0721, (414) 547-3860 (FAX)

      $2 catalog, which contains decent descriptions of what they sell
      (hardness, machinability, etc.).  Ferrous and nonferrous metals,
      fasteners, and a few nonmetallic materials such as nylon and teflon.

   -  Metal Lathe Accessories
      Box 88
      Pine Grove Mills, PA  16868

      Mostly castings and raw-parts kits for common and useful lathe
      accessories, mostly for lathes similar to 9- or 10-inch South
      Bend and Atlas-style units.  A T-slot cross slide, rear mounting
      tool post, faceplate, milling attachment, boring/facing head,
      large steady rest, boring and ball-turning tool post, and others.
      Also a toolpost grinder kit.  You can order kits, or just drawings.

   -  MicroKinetics
      1220 Kennestone Circle, suite J
      Marietta GA 30066
      (404) 422-7845, (404) 422-7854 (FAX), (404) 422-2714 (BBS)

      CNC parts such as software, PC controller boards, amplifiers,
      position sensing, and motors.  Kits to do conversions on Sherline
      lathes and mills, and Bridgeport mills.  Also Sherline lathes and
      mills pre-converted for CNC.

   -  Micro-Mark
      340 Snyder Avenue
      Berkeleyheights NJ 07922-1595
      (800) 225-1066, (908) 665-9383

      Miniature tools & things, including Sherline lathes and mills.
      "Weensy" nonferrous tube, rod, sheet.  Everything sold in small
      quantities.  Prices not superb, but some of the items can't be
      found elsewhere.

      Sometimes have sale catalogs with some items marked down as much
      as 50%.

   -  Minitech Machinery Corp.
      430 Tenth Street, Northwest Suite N-005
      Atlanta, GA 30318
      (404) 607-7228, (404) 892-6832 FAX, (800) 662-1760

      CNC software; complete small CNC mills (unknown mfg though it
      uses a Sherline headstock and motor; also one based strictly on
      a Sherline), CNC lathe (based on an Emco compact-5 or a Sherline),
      and retrofit kits for Sherline, Emco, and Prazi.

   -  J. I. Morris Co.
      394 Elm Street
      Southbridge, MA 01550
      (508) 764-4394, (508) 764-7350 FAX

      "Precision manufactured by us for stock and order.  Sizes
      0000-160 to 2-56 and popular UNM sizes stocked in many
      head styles and lengths in both brass and burr-free stainless.
      Matching taps, chasers and gages available.  Write for catalog
      or send print for prompt quotation."

   -  MSC Industrial Supply Co.
      151 Sunnyside Blvd
      Plainview, NY  11803
      (800) 645-7270 (AT&T), (800) 753-7900 (MCI), (800) 255-5067 FAX

      Their 94/95 catalog is 2298 pages, and their selection has been
      described as "dumbfounding".  They claim same-day shipping and seem
      to meet this goal.  There are a few areas (e.g. welding) where their
      selection is small or nothing.  (NOTE: as of 1995 they do have a
      separate 250-page welding catalog; call (800) 500-1009).

   -  New Life Video Productions
      P.O. Box 175
      Traverse City, Michigan 49685
      (616) 276-7194 FAX

      Video tapes, as discussed elsewhere in the FAQ.

   -  Nordex, Inc.
      50 Newton Road
      P.O. Box 1956
      Danbury,  CT.  06813
      (800) 243-0986

      Usual range of precision components.  Spur gears down to .25" O.D.

   -  Norm Larson Books
      5426 E. Hwy 246
      Lompoc, CA  93436
      (800) 743-4766, (805) 735-2095

      "... books on just about every subject about metal working there is."

   -  Northern Hydraulic
      P.O. Box 1499
      Burnsville, MN 55337-0499
      (800) 533-5545, (612) 894-0083 (FAX)

      Sort of a hardware store by mail.  Gasoline engines, pressure washers,
      hydraulic pumps and cylinders, air compressors, tools, and so on.

   -  Omega Engineering
      P.O. Box 2669
      Stamford, CT 06906
      (203) 359-1660

      Mentioned as a source for pyrometers and/or materials for making
      thermocouples and other process-measurement stuff.

   -  Penn Tool Company
      1776 Springfield Ave
      Maplewood, NJ 07040
      (800) 526-4956

      A very-well-stocked supplier with a very large selection of
      drills, taps, reamers, and other machining tools.  However,
      in some cases their prices seem outrageous, so check around
      first.  On the other hand, they may be the only source for
      that odd-sized spiral-flute reamer you need, or that #00 tap.
      Their catalogs are free; there is a small (196 pages in 1993)
      one and a large one (410 pages, catalog no. P-912 as of late
      1992), so ask for both (they may only send you the short one
      if you say you're a hobbyist).

   -  PIC Design
      P.O. Box 1004
      Benson Road
      Middlebury,  CT.   06762
      (800) 243-6125

      Usual range of precision components.  Gears down to less than
      3/8" O.D.

   -  Pipe & Tube Supply
      PO Box 2852
      1621 North Cypress
      North Little Rock, AR 72114
      (501) 372-6556, (501) 372-7694 FAX

      (Dave Williams writes:)
      I finally found a place that will sell steel or aluminum stock in small
      quantities.  I'm pretty happy with this place - they're fully
      computerized, know *exactly* what's in inventory, and usually have it
      cut and waiting before I can get from the cashier's to the warehouse.
      I've bought very small quantities of metal with no hassle.  They've
      also special ordered some offbeat sizes for me, no problems, no extra
      charges.

      Since getting small quantities of metal has some up in this group from
      time to time, I asked them if they sold mail order.  They do, and
      they'll take orders by phone, mail, or fax.

   -  Powell's Technical Books
      Portland OR
      (800) 225-6911, (503) 228-0505 (FAX)

      Send a blank email to [email-masked] for an
      automatic response with further instructions.  Significant selection
      of new & used books on machine shop practice, metallurgy, forge work,
      among tens of thousands of other used books.  You can search the new &
      used catalog my email or with Mosaic
      (http://www.technical.powells.portland.or.us).

   -  Power Model Supply
      13260 Summit Drive
      De Soto, MO  63020
      (314) 586-6466

      Similar to Cole's but heavier on the trains.  Detailed engineering
      drawings for about 15 different engines.  They also carry various
      metals.

   -  Prakken Publications, Inc
      P.O. Box 8623
      Ann Arbor, Michigan 48107
      (313) 769-1211, (800) 530-9673, (313) 769-8383 FAX

      Publishes the Machinist's Ready Reference.

   -  Production Tool
      (800) 366-3600
      
      Lathe tooling and such, fair prices, and often have the same item
      at different quality levels (more quality means more money, of
      course).

   -  Reactive Metals Studio
      Box 890
      Clarkdale, AZ 86324
      (800)876-3434, (602)634-3434

      Niobium, mixed metals, for jewelry and perhaps other purposes.

   -  A.J. Reeves & Co (Birmingham) Ltd.
      Holly Lane
      Marston Green
      Birmingham B37 7AW, UK

      Plans and parts for stationary, marine, rail and road steam engines
      and a number of IC engines as well.  Associated parts, materials
      and books (will ship internationally).

   -  Reid Tool Supply Company
      2265 Black Creek Road
      Muskegon, MI  49444-2684
      (800) 253-0421, (616) 777-3951, (616) 773-4485 (FAX)

      Prints a 350+ page catalog twice a year.
      Very complete assortment of knobs, screws, clamps, springs, air hoses
      and couplings, drills, mills, taps, machinist's tooling, and books.
      No minimum order, 30-day return with full refund.
      Offers rework and specialty items with special conditions and terms.
      However, they want a company name before sending a catalog.

   -  River Gems and Findings (formerly Rio Grande)
      Dept T1
      6801 Washington NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87109
      (800)545-6566 orders, (800)533-3299 service, (505)344-9671 fax

      Jewelry-making tools, perhaps more.  Apparently a wholesaler, as
      they want a state tax ID or business license number before sending
      a catalog.

   -  Rutland Tool & Supply
      16700 E. Gale Avenue
      City of Industry, CA.  91745-0587
      (800) 289-4787, (818) 961-7111, (800) 333-3787 (FAX)

      (courtesy of Jon Bork)

      Rutland is a general machine shop supply house, with a good selection
      of tools, machines and accessories.  They primarily deal with
      professionals, but I have dealt with them in person and by phone and
      they have always been helpful and quick.  They send out several
      catalogs yearly including a new safety equipment supply catalog.
      Their prices are reasonable and they stock both top of the line and
      "quality import" selections for most items.

      (Will Martin reports they ask for a company name before sending
      out a catalog)

   -  S. LaRose, Inc.
      3223 Yanceyville St.
      P.O. Box 21208
      Greensboro, NC 27420
      (910) 621-1936

      Watch and clock movements, repair parts, supplies, tools, equipment.
      320-page catalog $2.50.

   -  Scanlon American Reprints
      P.O. Box 379
      Modesto, CA  95353
      (209) 667-2907

      Scanlon sells many books on clocks.

   -  Secs, Inc.
      520 Homestead Ave.
      Mt. Vernon,   N.Y.  10550
      (914) 667-5600

      General line of precision hardware, gears, pulleys, clutches, etc.

   -  Servo Products Company
      433 N. Fair Oaks Ave., Box 90370
      Pasadena, CA  91109
      (818) 796-2460, (818) 796-3845 (FAX)

      Small precision drill presses and milling machines, including a
      whopping expensive CNC mill ($15,000).  Power feeds for mills.
      CNC small lathe, CNC add-on for large mills.

   -  Sherline Products, Inc.
      170 Navajo Street
      San Marcos, CA 92069
      (800) 541-0735, (619) 541-0735, (619) 744-1574 (FAX)

      Sherline makes small mills and small lathes that are generally
      highly regarded for small work such as model-making.  Note that
      many other suppliers also stock Sherline, though you can order
      directly from the factory (at the same price) as well.  The
      advantage of finding a local supplier is that you may be able
      to try one out, or at least look at it, before spending your money.

   -  Small Parts, Inc.
      13980 N.W. 58th Court
      P.O. Box 4650
      Miami Lakes, FL.   33014
      (305) 557-8222, (800) 423-9009 (FAX)

      Nicest line of supplies and hardware for prototype builders.
      Specifically targeted for small quantities.  Catalog includes
      prices. More fun than the Sears catalog.

   -  South Bend Lathe
      400 West Sample Street
      South Bend, IN 46625
      (219) 289-7771

      Still in South Bend, since 1906.  However, current products may be
      overpriced and no longer appropriate for small home shops.

   -  MALCOLM G. STEVENS
      78 Summer St.
      P.O. Box 145
      Arlington, MA 02174
      Phone - (617) 648-4112

      A source for foundry supplies (crucibles, molding tools, tongs,
      shanks, fluxes, and safety equipment)

      Specific crucible sizes stocked appear to be #4 to #70 in clay,
      graphite, and #10 to #150 in Silicon Carbide.  Tell them that you
      are a hobbyist and would like some literature on foundry equipment.
      They apparently do not take credit cards but will bill you.

   -  Stock Drive Products
      2101 Jericho Turnpike
      Box 5416
      New Hyde Park, NY  11042-5416
      (516) 328-3300

      The catalogs are actually published jointly by Stock Drive
      Products (SDP) and Sterling Instruments (SI).  Both are divisions
      of Designatronics (DSG).

      These folks make all sorts of gears, drives, bearings, couplings,
      and related stuff.  Small, not hydroelectric-sized.  Ask them for
      their free publication "Handbook of Gears."  They also publish
      "Handbook of Shafts, Bearings & Couplings,"  "Handbook of Timing
      Belts, Chains & Friction Drives," "Handbook of Design Components,"
      "Aluminum Extrusions & Accessories."  They also package the whole
      set (I asked for just the handbook of gears and got all five).

      See also W.M. Berg for a similar product line.

   -  Swest, Inc.
      11090 Stemmons Frwy
      Dallas, TX 75220
      (800)527-5057, (214)247-7744, (214)247-5307 fax

      Jewelry-making tools, perhaps more.  They ask for a company name
      and business license or tax ID, but may be willing to send a
      catalog without them.