Subject: Re: Building machine tools?

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 1995 04:13:24 GMT

[email-masked] (Dan Brown) writes:

>	I noticed an entry in the FAQ about building one's own lathe, I 
>believe-- there was a series of books on the subject mentioned.  Any info 
>on price, difficulty, special tools/skills, other sources for similar 
>information?  Anything else?  Thanks for any information!

> --
> Dan Brown, KE6MKS
> [email-masked] -- finger for PGP 2.6.1 public key
> Don't Tread on Me

Lindsay Publications
PO Box 538
Bradley, IL 60915
(Also listed in the FAQ) sells at least two books on building your own
lathe, one is a series of books by Dave Gingery, the other is from Rahama.
The Gingery series is designed around a foundry using a charcoal fired 
furnace, which is book one in the set.  Each book builds on the machines
and tools developed in the previous book.  His designs are easy to build
but do take time.  The only powertool you need for the lathe is a good
electric drill.  Granted, access to a drillpress and mill will make the
project go faster but these tools are not necessary.  All of the machines
use aluminum castings and CRS.

The Rahama lathe uses off-the-shelf truck pistons for the headstock and
tailstock.  The rest of the lathe is built-up from CRS.  Again, the only
power tool you need is an electric drill.

The Gingery lathe is smaller than the Rhama -- 12" centers, 7" swing for
the Gingery, Rhama I think is 18" centers, 8" swing -- but the Gingery
lathe has a powered leadscrew and the ability to later add change gears
for screwcutting.  It also looks more like a lathe than a cobbled 
togeather tool.

The Gingery books run between $7 and $9 each.  Lindsay Publications
ships quickly and has a moneyback guarantee if you are not staisfied
with your purchase -- normal caveats apply.

I've built several items out of the Gingery books and following his
instructions I've been rather successful with them.  My lathe turns
a taper of .0003 over 8.5".  I was getting ready to make the change
gears for it but I've just been given a lathe with electrical problems.
It's a 1540 Tiawan machine with quickchange gearbox etc. etc. etc.
Now if I can find a good book on motor rewinding....

-- 
    - Barry Workman