Subject: Reproduction furniture pulls

From: [email-masked] (Brent A. Cooke)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 16:58:38 GMT

I have a antique chest of drawers with two original brass pulls and
missing eight.  A shop near Asheville, NC has estimated at least $100
per pull for new ones, largely because of the hand work needed to
clean up all the detailing.

The total cost would exceed the cost of the chest.  Could anyone offer
any info on other shops to obtain estimates?  Or could anyone provide
details on mail-order reproduction pulls?

Brent Cooke       [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MarcK3)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 21:36:08 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

>clean up all the detailing.

You could have a rubber mold made for about $100 or less the same company
then makes wax injection models from the mold and then they cast as many
of the pulls as you want in gold, silver, brass, bronze even platnium
whatever you want.  You could even go into bizness selling reproductions
of antique pulls in sterling silver at rediculuosly high prices.
I will have to get back with an address because I don't have them with me
right now.
e-mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Golber)
Date: 16 Sep 1994 19:46:47 GMT

>Brent Cooke       [email-masked]

There was an article in Fine Woodworking a while back.
No more than say two years ago, I think.
Essentially, you cast new ones in epoxy, using the old ones 
to make the mold.  You dust the mold with powdered metal before
you flow in the epoxy, to get the metalic surface.  This
was real high quality stuff.

Dave Golber

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 16 Sep 94 14:55:58 MDT

Brent,

You might also post this question to rec.woodworking.  This sort of
thing probably comes up from time to time with people making/restoring
cabinetry.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (David Reid)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 1994 22:38:41 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (MarcK3) wrote:
>of the pulls as you want in gold, silver, brass, bronze even platinum
>whatever you want.  You could even go into business selling reproductions
>of antique pulls in sterling silver at ridiculously high prices.

     A company in the UK sells a casting kit that will reproduce brass,
bronze, silver (and gold) items to perfection. It is based on a simplified
ceramic shell lost wax method and can cope with up to 800gm of metal.The
whole thing takes up about one square meter of bench space and can be
operated in the smallest workshop.
    If you write or fax them, I'm sure they will send you details. They also
sell a lot of other interesting stuff for moulding, etc.
    Address
        Alec Tiranti Ltd
        High St   
        Theale
        Reading
        United Kingdom
        fax 44 734 323 487