Subject: Where to find real Tin

From: [email-masked] (Richard Joseph Rodriguez Jr)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 1994 18:45:45 GMT

Anybody out there know where I can get my hands on just a little
real tin to make a cookie cutter.  I've heard that you shouldn't use
galvanized sheet for cookware, so when I find a tinsmith or metal yard, 
I'll need pure tin.  Or would it be alright to use copper flashing like
roofers?

Questions and comments invited.

---

From: [email-masked] (SteveR7678)
Date: 6 Oct 1994 12:16:02 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Richard Joseph Rodriguez Jr) writes:

>"where I can get my hands on just a little real tin to make a cookie
cutter.

Try A.M. Castle metals in Paramount or Teledyne Rodney metals in Pico
Rivera.  If that is not fruitfull and they cannot direct you further, fo
to the library and look in the Thomas Register of American Manufacturers. 
Good luck!

---

From: [email-masked] (David Jenkins)
Date: 6 Oct 1994 08:31:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Richard Joseph Rodriguez Jr) writes:
|> Anybody out there know where I can get my hands on just a little
|> real tin to make a cookie cutter.  I've heard that you shouldn't use
|> galvanized sheet for cookware, so when I find a tinsmith or metal
|> yard, 
|> I'll need pure tin.  Or would it be alright to use copper flashing
|> like
|> roofers?
|> 
|> Questions and comments invited.
|> 

Do you mean "steel plated with tin", i.e. tinplate?  Sheet tin would
be unusual, to say the least!

Anyway, tinplate would work, but may be unsatisfactory due to rusting
at the edges (where the sheet was cut).

I would suggest trying thin sheet stainless steel - I'm sure someone
on this group can suggest a supplier local to you in the US of A. 
There are some problems with SS, such as rapid work hardening when
bending (leading to cracking) but if the sheet is very thin then
you'll get away with it as long as you don't waggle it back & forth
too much.

As far as copper is concerned, this would work (and used to be common)
but it is soft and would eventually lose its edge.  Also, and perhaps
more importantly, it would have to be kept very clean when used with
foodstuffs, as most copper oxides/salts etc. are poisonous.  This was
known in Victorian times, when they used to make jellies in copper
moulds - these had to scrubbed hard before use, using a mix of sand
and soap!

-- 
David Jenkins

"This looks like a job for... somebody else!"
	- Plucky Duck

---

From: [email-masked] (Tuomas Haarala )
Date: 9 Oct 1994 17:23:20 GMT

Richard Joseph Rodriguez Jr ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Anybody out there know where I can get my hands on just a little
: real tin to make a cookie cutter.  I've heard that you shouldn't use
: galvanized sheet for cookware, so when I find a tinsmith or metal yard, 
: I'll need pure tin.  Or would it be alright to use copper flashing like
: roofers?

	I've understood that tin (Sn) isn't used in that way, but
	the connections are made with tin, and that's where they've got 
	that "tin" name. Just like in nethack: "You consume a tin of 
	homemade hill orc", main material is steel, but lid is closed with
	tin. Thin steel recommended. (0,5mm, maybe. That is, about, 0.020")
	Tin (Sn) is also quite poisonous metal, if I've got it right. 

-Tuoppi-

---

From: Mike Schechter <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 1994 15:27:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> John E. Taylor III, [email-masked] writes:
>
>You use the pure tin to _coat_ the metal from which you make the cookie
>cutter.  I should think sheet steel, well fluxed, and then dipped in some
>molten tin, would work.  Similarly coating the flashing would also work.
>As for toxicity, remember we used tin cans, which are sheet steel coated
>with tin, for food storage for a _long_ time before aluminum came along.
>Source of the tin?  I'm no help there.
>
McMAster-Carr sells 1-lb bars of tin for about $15.

(3/4" x 3/4" x about 9")
Mike Schechter                  | [email-masked]
Systems Engineer                | [email-masked]
Institute for Sensory Research  | (315)443-9742

---

From: [email-masked] (William F. Kaiser)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 17:32:10 GMT

> Questions and comments invited.

Cut it from a tin can.  Tin cans are made of tinplate, which is steel 
coated with tin.  It is easy to cut and easy to solder.  If lead worries 
you, use lead free solder.  The best cans these days seem to be from 
imported foods.  U.S. cans use thinner material and have ribs on them.  
Imported cans are thicker, and flat.  Deburr the cut edges with fine 
abrasive paper so they aren't dangerously sharp.  If the edges rust, wash 
them with a scouring pad.

I've made lots of cookie cutters of this stuff.

--
Bill Kaiser
[email-masked]

There are three ways to do a job: good, cheap, and quick.
You can have any two.
A good, cheap job won't be quick.
A good, quick job won't be cheap.
A cheap, quick job won't be good.

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 07:53:31 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Tuomas

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."