Subject: Re: Boiler design for small steam powered vehicle (fw

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 13 Sep 94 15:26:14 MDT

I have e-mailed him the steam-engine entry from the FAQ.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Anand Gupta)
Date: 13 Sep 1994 15:14:56 -0500

Hi !

I am designing a small working model of a steam powered car for a 
project. I was wondering if somebody could help me on what kind of boiler 
design I should opt for. I was looking in some old books and they have 
some pretty fancy coil type boilers besides the usual drum type stuff. I 
have access to the college machine shop so it won't be a problem to 
fabricate something as long as it is not too complicated.

My initial choice was a coke can but I need something which will 
withstand pressures of upto 200 psi (although the relief valve will 
actually be at 50 psi for a safety factor of 4) and the can will only go 
upto 40 psi (I think).

If someone has any ideas as to where I can get more help regarding this, 
I would be very grateful. Thankyou....

Kindly email responses to [email-masked] or atleast send me 
note if you post something on the group so that I will be sure to check 
it out. Thanks a lot for your help.......

Anand