Subject: Seattle-area resource list

From: [email-masked] (Bob Powell)
Date: 23 Oct 1994 06:18:17 GMT

These are my resources for metalworking and woodworking tools,
materials and information.  First are my favorite local stores --
living in an outer Seattle WA suburb.

Following that is a select list of mail-order outfits that may be of
more general interest -- everyone should know of these sources no
matter what they have local.  This is not an attempt to compete with
the FAQ -- just a highlight, and it fills in the gaps for what is not
available nearby.

If you email suggestions for the Seattle list, I'll update and repost
it, and will repost it every few months unless someone has a better
idea.

If anyone knows of a Puget Sound organization of machinists, or of
schools that offer machine shop instruction, please email me.

Bob

-------------------------

Area codes if not shown are 206.

Aronson Campbell Industrial Supply, 5300 Denver S., Seattle, 762-0700.
Open M-F.  Major Seattle metal & wood tool, tooling and accessories
dealer.  Full-line Delta + imports.  Shop supplies.  Huge inventory.
Industrial district about four miles south of the Kingdome.

Boeing Surplus Sales, 20651 - 84th Ave S. (East Valley Rd), Kent,
393-4060.  From I-405, take 167 to S. 212 St., right on 212th, right on
84th, Surplus is the next light.  Tues-Fri 10-5, Sat 9-4.  *Super*
source of surplus metal stock and tooling, especially aluminum, many
plastics, rubber, and 10,000 other wonderful weird shop items you can't
live without.  "Tool Crib" with wide range of lathe & milling cutters,
drill bits, taps et. al., some great bargains.  Occasional barrels of
HSS lathe bits and HSS drills for $1/lb.  New material every day.

Buckner-Weatherby, 5931 - 4th S., Seattle, 767-3620.  Industrial
woodworking equipment dealer.  Your source for a CNC table saw, should
you need one.

Crosscut Hardwoods, 4100 - 1st S., Seattle, 623-0334.  Top selection,
top quality, top dollar, wood supplier.

Eastside Saw Sales, 12880 Bel-Red Rd., Bellevue, 454-7627.  The
"eastside"'s only real tool store; full-line Delta, Jet etc., great
selection of blades, bits, abrasives, hand power tools; sharpening
service.  Not a metal tool dealer, but apparently will special-order
any Jet metalworking tool at a mail-order price.  Good prices on the
tools; great staff and friendly service.

Enco, 800-873-3626.  Tukwila WA store, 1000 Andover Park East,
206-575-2432.  Just north of Costco; south of Eagle Hardware.  Import
machine tools & accessories.  Many bargains, much garbage, some
hassle.  Dealing with the retail store is "OK".

Grizzly Imports, Bellingham WA, 800-541-5537.  Good value import
stationary metal & woodworking tools; limited accessories.  Their
showroom is worth the drive if you're in the NW; 90 minutes from
Seattle.  Only open M-F 8:30-5:00; be sure to call first to make sure
they'll be open the day you plan to visit, and that you'll be able to
see what you came for.

Hallidie Machinery, 2200 - 6th S., Seattle, 583-0600.  Couple of blocks
south-east of the Kingdome.  Seattle's major used machine tool dealer;
warehouse of hundreds of machines.

Hardwicks, 4214 Roosevelt Way NE, 632-1203.  New & Used wood & metal
tools, assorted surplus stuff.  In the U. District.

Home Depot, S 180. St., Tukwila.  My favorite of the local warehouse
stores; especially for tools, fasteners and electrical parts.

L.C. Kier Co., 23831 SE Tiger Mt. Rd, Issaquah.  392-6493.  New & used
machine tool, tooling & accessories supplier, in the rural zone south
of Issaquah.  Worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood, as my home is.

Pacific Industrial Supply, 2960 - 4th S., Seattle, 682-2100.  My
favorite salvage yard other than Boeing, top-dollar as it may be.
Great place for metal, materials handling, wheels, hydraulics,
fasteners et. al.  Big stuff; lots of marine equipment.

Pacific Irons Building Materials, 4th S., just north of Pacific
Industrial, 628-6256.  Surplus building materials; metal supply yard
out back.

Tool Town, 12700 NE 124 St., Kirkland, and other locations.  821-3007.
Jam-packed discount tool store, oriented to construction contractors,
but lots of auto & metal tools too.

West Coast Machine Tools, 20826 - 68th S. (West Valley Hwy), Kent,
244-3262.  Used machine tool warehouse, less small stuff than
Hallidie.  The place to go if you need a 9' swing x 49' c-c lathe
(that's feet -- no typo).

Woodcraft Supply, 5963 Corson S., Seattle, 767-6394.  Near the
intersection with Michigan, at the north end of Boeing Field.
Seattle's biggest home-shop woodworking store, huge selection of
Neanderthal tools, hand power tools, Shopsmith, full-line Delta, huge
selection of books & video, some lumber & veneer, instruction classes.
Nice store, top dollar.

Woodworker's Store, 3823 Stone Way N., Seattle, 634-3222.  Seattle's
other major home-shop woodworking store, near the U. District,
similar to Woodcraft but smaller.

----------------------
Mail order:

If you are unfamiliar with any of these places, I humbly urge you
to call today to find out what you've been missing.

Home Shop Machinist / Projects in Metal / Live Steam.  Village Press,
800-447-7367.  The definitive amateur machinist magazine.  HSM is worth
it for the advertisements alone.  Many books as well, mostly reprints
of old editorial content.

Industrial Pipe & Steel, 800-423-4981.  My favorite mail-order machine
tool, accessory and material supply.  (I'm still waiting for a catalog
>from  MSC.)  Huge free catalog, full-line supplier of equipment for
every budget.  Great source for metal stock and fasteners.

Lindsay Publications, 815-935-5353, fax 815-935-5477.  They don't
always answer the phone; may want to fax them even if just to get the
free catalog.  Absolutely priceless selection of reprints of out-of-
copyright technical books, especially of material that's hard to find
even in-print today such as basic machine shop practice and machine
tool history.

Powells Technical Books, Portland OR.  (No relation!)  Send a blank
email to [email-masked] for an automatic
response with further instructions.  Significant selection of new &
used books on machine shop practice, metallurgy, forge work, among
tens of thousands of other used books.  You can search the new &
used catalog my email or with Mosaic.

Surplus Center, 800-488-3407.  Great source for motors, hydraulics,
pneumatics, electrical parts, some power transmission.

----------------------
(end)

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward J Zeranski)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 22:02:50

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bob Powell) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Bob Powell)
>Subject: Seattle-area resource list
>Date: 23 Oct 1994 06:18:17 GMT

>the FAQ -- just a highlight, and it fills in the gaps for what is not

Have you ever talked to Puget Sound Machine run by Don Peterson in Gualala 
just north of Gig Harbor? Im not sure of the Gualala spelling but Ill put my 
money on Don any day. Don rebuilds old cast iron machinery better than new and 
is a straight up honest man. If you need a 6"jointer or a 42"shipsaw see Don 
and tell him Ski from Ocean Beach sent you.