Subject: Copper ID?

From: [email-masked] (David MacMillan)
Date: 28 Dec 1994 05:36:32 GMT

For Christmas, friends gave me a pile of scrap metals and plastics
(I have understanding friends).  Anyway, it included three cylinders
of copper (about 4" long, 1/2" diam, drilled almost through).
They're stamped "TUFFALOY C-1216."  I checked _Machinery's Handbook_,
and can't figure out what alloy this might be.  According to
_Machinery's_, modern copper alloys have 5-digit codes ("C#xxxx")
and this evolved from a 3-digit code.  No mention of a 4-digit,
nor can I find "1216" embedded in any of the listed 5-digit codes.
Anyone know what this might be?

Thanks
David M. MacMillan
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MadMat9)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 18:33:41 -0500

David:

Everything used to be named according to the SAE (or whatever) standards.

However, these days, it's trendy to give something a trademark name, and
that's what you've got.  The number may not mean anything (other than to
the company that made it).  Carpenter Steel, for example, produces many
alloys with cutsie little trademarks like this.  Ever heard of
"Waspalloy?"

If you have access to an engineering library, there is a reference manual
covering alloys by trade name.  I can't remember the name, but you should
be able to find it using keywords like "alloy" and "handbook".

Let me know if I can help further.

Mat