Subject: Re: Rust prevention for cars

From: [email-masked] (Joyce A. Ryerson)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 12:37:07 GMT

The book "Motor Vehicle Corrosion Prediction and Prevention on
Vehicles" by Hugh McArthur was mentioned.  I checked with our
bookstore, and they could not find it in their sources.  Does someone
have an address and/or phone number to call so I could get a copy of
the book?  I called it up in one of our databases and see it is
published by Expert Books, but could not find the publisher in our
database of publishers.

Thank you,
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (JDivoky)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 19:11:18 -0500

I saw an interview with a corrosion expert from Carnegie-Mellon U. who has
specialized in automotive corrosion problems for the last thirty years. 
He claimed the rust inhibitors were generally ineffective except perhaps
in the immediate area where they are attached.  I've also noticed that the
people who spring for $400 or so for a rust inhibitor are the same people
who take very good care of their vehicles such as by washing them weekly
even in the winter. Thus, I think the efficacy of these devices (if any)
may be due to the activities of the owners not the devices.
Jim Divoky, Kent Computer Services, Inc., 112 Portage St., Kent, OH
44240-2529