Subject: drilling stone

From: [email-masked] (ROMEUG)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 03:30:16 -0500

Sorry that this isn't directly related to metalworking.  I make metal
furniture and utilize marble and granite bases on my tables.  I go through
drill bits.  I try to keep them as cool as possible with water.  Is there
any advice as to how to drill this material the most expedient way,what
kind of bits to use, what speed to run my press, etc.
thank you 
gabriel

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 16:26:50 GMT

>kind of bits to use, what speed to run my press, etc.

Slow speeds, hollow-core diamond drill bits if you are in a production 
mode, otherwise hollow-core steel and a grit slurry.  The diamond bit is 
the best if you value your time.  Check out Griegers (I think thats the 
name) in Southern California.  otherwise, go find your local gem club. 
Those people solve this kind of problem all the time.  I think Marble 
will prove to be easier to bore than Granite.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark McDade (303) 673-6841)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 19:29:47 GMT

Mike Rehmus ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (ROMEUG) writes: 

: >
: >Sorry that this isn't directly related to metalworking.  I make metal
: >furniture and utilize marble and granite bases on my tables.  I go 
: through
. . .

We do a little rock hounding around the house and recently tried drilling some
polished agate with a 0.060" drill coated in diamond.  Used it under water
on the drill press at ~=5000 rpm - takes about two minutes to penetrate
a 3/8" rock.  That's smaller diameter than you want but you get the idea.
The bits come from a rock shop for <$5.00@.

Mark McDade

[email-masked]