Subject: Re: CAD assistance

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 17:25:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (GBUT) writes:
>Can anyone suggest an inexpensixe CAD program that I can run on my MAC
>Does not have to be extensive to support hsm hobby.
>
>Please reply to:
>George E. Butler
>[email-masked]
>
>Thanks 
>geb

I bought Turbocad for the Mac for about $50. Frankly, I'm very
disappointed. It looks to be a product that was designed for an IBM
environment and simply ported over to the Mac, as most of the comon
Mac modus operandi do not exist here. The most objectionable problem
is the lack of any on-line help for the 48 icons in the palettes. Most
of these are similar-looking, and their functions take quite a bit of
practice to use. To be fair, I must say that I have no previous
experience with CAD; however I am systems manager for my department
and have extensive experience with Mac software. I decided that the
learning time on this product was not worth it considering the small
number of drawings I plan to make. I am using a pencil and t-square.

I'll sell this copy with original manual and disks for $35 if anyone
is interested.
___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]
Photojournalism sequence, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
CSU Fresno, Fresno, CA 93740-0010

---

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jan 1995 06:36:14 GMT

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone who 
mentioned TurboCad, said the same thing - DON'T bother.  Although
I'm offering NO recommendations, the ones I heard from said that 
Cadkey 7 was an excellent buy at $495.!!!  That's WAY beyond my 
price range.  Autosketch seems to be the next best recommendation 
as long as 2D is acceptable.  That's a GENERAL synopsis of the 
replies I received.   Carl

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen