Subject: Need alternatives to wood inserts and t-nuts [#8 screw into particle board]

From: [email-masked] (NEIL B. GANDLER)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 06:28:00 GMT

I am currently looking for a hardware piece that would
allow me to attach things with threaded #8 screws into
particle board. Such products I have seen are wood inserts
and T-nuts. T-nuts eventually become loose and pop out after
a few in and outs of the screw and wooden inserts are not
much more reliable in that respect. I'm looking for a product
that hypothetically is a thick screw secured with a hex nut
in the particle board. with the center of this screw hollowed
out and threaded inside to allow another screw to be inserted
and taken out repetitively. Its very hard explaining using
text what I have in mind but I hope I have gotten my thought
across. Does anyone know of any mail order hardware
companies. I hate relying on the local hardware stores. Does
anyone know the type of hardware piece that I am looking for.
Does it exist, what is it called. I would appreciate any
help.

                         Neil Gandler

---

From: [email-masked] (Will Fischer)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 15:20:28 GMT

NEIL B. GANDLER ([email-masked]) wrote:
:      I am currently looking for a hardware piece that would
: allow me to attach things with threaded #8 screws into
: particle board. ... [snip] ...  I'm looking for a product
: that hypothetically is a thick screw secured with a hex nut
: in the particle board. with the center of this screw hollowed
: out and threaded inside to allow another screw to be inserted
: and taken out repetitively. [snip]

I saw something similar to this in the Leichtung (sp?) catalog, though
not secured with a hex nut (or is this your T-nut?).

Leichtung is a tool and gadget catalog that's geared more to the
home-owner/dink-arounder than the serious craftsman (and that's what
_we_ all are, right? ;-), but they occasionally have some cool stuff.
I think they have an 800 number, which you could get through
information (800-555-1212).

--

____________________________________________________________
Will Fischer				[email-masked]

Department of Biology                   Voice:  812-855-2549
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana 47405 USA          FAX2:   812-855-6705