Subject: Cupola Foundry Furnace

From: [email-masked] (Jon Winlund)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 20:12:23 -0800

Some friends and I are building a cupola to cast iron for our local model 
engineers club. We are a bit new at this and wondered if there were any 
folks out here with any experience in this narrow area.  We have already 
cast iron using an induction furnace, and brass and aluminum with 
crucible furnaces, so we have *some* experience! Thanks in advance!

Mark Winlund

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Wiley - Poultry)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 23:51:34 GMT

Lindsay Books has some old texts on this subject. I think the address is in
the FAQ somewhere but he advertises in HSM regularly.

I for one would be interested in any wisdom, tips etc you can offer about the
practicality/success of the induction furnace approach and why you're looking
at a cupola setup. I get my castings done in an antique industrial plant that
is probably closing down and am looking at d-i-y alternatives. Problem is that
some of my castings are pushing 100kg and I doubt it's practical.

Peter Wiley