Subject: oil fired foundry

From: [email-masked] (Rich Gagnon)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 23:28:05 GMT

I have been reading the thread on charcoal foundrys and seem to remember someone
mentioning plans to build a furnace out of a water heater (propane fired, I
assume.)  How about using an oil fired water heater (using a Beckett style
burner).  I believe that #1 or #2 fuel oil has more energy available than
propane, and the Beckett burner has a built in blower and an air swirler (mixer)
at the end of the blast tube.

-- 
	Rich Gagnon		Internet:[email-masked]
	NCAR - ATD/RSF  			
	P.O Box 3000		Fax:	 303-497-2044
	Boulder, CO 80307-3000	Voice:	 303-497-2076

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rayner)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 12:23:35 GMT

>at the end of the blast tube.
The late Cliff Blackstaffe, distinguished  steam engineer, and designer of
the Blackstaffe - Wood marine steam engines & many live steam locomotives
also had a home foundry.  His furnace used an oil burner from a hot water
heater burning stove oil.  The coleman oil burners used in some mobile home
furnaces are the same size.  About 1/2 impreial gallon of oil would melt
enough aluminum to pour six flasks, of small castings.  He just lined them
up in his driveway on a dry day.  For non ferrous metals crucibles can be made
>from  pieces of large diameter pipe, with a steel disc arc welded ove one end
( bits old drive shaft from a truck etc.).  Heat the other end and forge a
spout with a ball peen hammer, and a bit of a rim so it wont slip out of
the tongs.  Save the graphite crucible for cast iron.

-- 
                                Steve Rayner.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 95 04:10:07

Rich, did this source of info have the plans for this "oil burner" available ? 
I'm just no too knowledgeable on building this kind of stuff. Would like to
find out where to learn more as I'm about to buy a furnace from a company in
California fer @ $ 1800. (propane fueled). I want to pour mainly brass and
aluminum.. Thanks.. M.D. Sharp  Downs, Kansas 67437..

---

From: [email-masked] (David Adams)
Date: 3 Jan 95 10:28:30 CST

> at the end of the blast tube.

I don't remember any discussion about converting an old water heater 
to a furnace.  Was there such a thread here?

Where could I find an article?  

It seems like you could use the same burner?

-- 
	-David  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 17:58:09 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

>aluminum.. Thanks.. M.D. Sharp  Downs, Kansas 67437..

The Home Shop Machinist had a series of 4-5 articles on building a small (#
10) propane fired furnace. The guy did a very professional job on it....
probably spent more time on it than he should have. I can look for the 
reference if people are interested. It could be scaled up for larger 
crucibels. A fuel oil burner from a home heating system makes a good burner. 
You only need a small fuel tank and power for the blower and ignitor.

Ron

Ron Thompson                      |     Internet:  [email-masked]
Psychology Dept.                  |     Voice:     904-644-5563
Florida State University          |     FAX:       904-644-7739
Tallahassee,  FL 32306-1051       |     Amateur Radio N4FHO

---

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 20:22:17 -0500

>10) propane fired furnace.
  
I am gathering the material to build that furnace now.  One worry is how
much propane will it need?  I have a 20# tank.  Will that be enough for a
full melt?  I can think of few non-disaster disasters like running out of
gas just before you are ready to pour.<G>

Glenn (the lone Mid-Ga Steamer)