Subject: In article [email-masked], [email-masked] () writes:

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Aug 94 18:55:35 GMT

>I have the chance to buy a Smithy metal lathe, but I don't know much
>about the company and the quality of their product.
>
>If anyone has an opinion on their quality of workmanship and the level
>of service the company provides, I would appreciate it.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Billy Bob
>  

I own a Smithy At 300.  I'm glad to have it. However, I'm no machinist, 
just a hobbyist.  And, I have no training in machining operations. I 
bought mine about two years ago.  In hopes to learn about being a 
machinist.  I had to do some rebuilding of the machine when I got it. 
(The pulley drive system didn't line up properly and rubbed on the 
housing.)  There was also quite a bit of cleaning (cosmoline) and 
preping to put the machine into servicable condition.  The factory 
said they now tune and prep the machine after import and before 
sending the units to customers.  They didn't tune mine. I did. (I'm 
good with machines, not so sure about machining.  The drawbar on mine 
wasn`t threaded straight.  They sent me a new one.  And, didn't even 
want the other back.  They spent a lot of time on the phone with me 
to get the machine and me operable.  The overall quallity is not what 
I'd call first rate or exemplary.  But, it certainly is functional.  
And, I can make part pretty well if I do my part.  I find that about 
half the things I try to do on the Mill or Lathe are sucessfull.  But, 
I attribute that to my abilities not the Smithy.

Is it all the machine I wanted?  Of course not.  I want everything.  
The machine has limitations on swing and between centers.  Who wants 
limitations?
Conversely,  The machine will do a LOT of operations with very limited 
shop space requirements.  I have limited shop space requirements, my 
garage (which already contains more items than is comfortable).

I have never operated any other lathe or mill.  How, can I say its any 
better or worse?  I expect it is better to have separate machines lathe 
or mill operations.  If I shopped arround long enough for a good deal 
and had unlimited room to put them in.  I expect I could have gotten 
better machines.  But, shopping for a used mill/lathe has its own 
drawbacks.  Like learning what breaks or wears out for each brand and 
model that become available.  I didn't want to do that.  (I have nothing 
against someone who does.)  I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Due to space limitations in my garage and the alternate shop building 
project, I have not done much with the Smithy for about a year now.  But, 
real soon now I'll get back to it and try to gain more experience.

Lloyd