Subject: Re: Sherline Threader?

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 04:36:07 GMT

[email-masked] (Don Stauffer) writes:

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mark 
>Fraser) says:
>>
>>Anyone want to comment on this attachment?
>>Anyone want to sell me one?
>>
>>- for the Sherline lathe, that is ....
>>Thanks / Mark Fraser
>>

>I'd like to see this expanded to also comment on the power feed.  In 
>particular, for both attachments, how long and difficult is the setup to 
>switch to them and to switch back.  In particular, it looks like the 
>threading attachment requires one to remove the motor drive and pully 
>box.

>Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

The Sherline threading gears and the add-on power feed were the two
items that finally decided me on building my own lathe.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Ganoe)
Date: 15 Jan 1995 00:15:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rick DeNatale) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>(Don Stauffer) wrote:
>

[...]

>The motor simply slides over the roll pin.  The modifications to the lathe
>described above can be left in place. I've been meaning to make some pins
>in the board I have my lathe mounted on to hold the motor in place, but I
>just never seem to get around to it. I just hold the motor in place by
>hand.

I can't comment on the threader either, but I did just finish adding
the mounting for my motor to the lathe's mounting board last night.
Note that, at least in my case, I had to file about 1/16" off the end
of the cap screw that secures the bed to the base.  The screw that
Sherlne supplied in my lathe provided a very effective brake on the
power-feed shaft when it was tight enough to firmly hold the bed to
the base -- until I got rid of the slight additional length.
The whole assembly seems to run quite nicely now.

[...]

-- 
Bill Ganoe -- U. of Arizona, SIE Dept **   Engineering:
[email-masked]                  **      The ultimate art
602.621.2528                          **      of the human mind.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick DeNatale)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 19:00:25 -0700

> Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

You're right about the threader, I can't comment on it as I've only used
mine once so far.

The power feed is another matter. If you are familiar with the Sherline
lathe, I'll describe its operation.

There is a poly cap in the front of the bed below the head stock. You
remove this. You insert a shuttle in line with the lead screw, which is
already stepped. A lever goes into the hole that the poly cap covered.
This moves the shuttle left and right.

The left side of the shuttle has a longer step which engages with a drive which
engages with the motor through a roll pin. This is the same engagement for
the final gear of the screw cutting attachment.

When the shuttle moves right it engages with the step in the lead screw,
thus engaging the power feed.

Two limitations of the power feed are that there is no speed control, and
it is unidirectional, feeding towards the headstock as you would expect.

In all it's a good accessory.

-- 
Rick DeNatale
Still trying to come up with a really cool Signature