Subject: Computer-controlled cutting device?

From: [email-masked] (JDivoky)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 19:11:18 -0500

I wonder if anyone can help me locate a cutting tool I need. What I'm
looking for is a computer-controlled 2-axis, low tolerance saw. It would
have a one or two foot square cutting area. It should be able to cut flat
stock cardboard, wood, plastic, and/or metal. My idea is to send it a
design from the computer presumably in some CAD (Computer-Assisted
Drafting) format and the saw would automagically cut out the design I
need. 

I know there are such saws for industry such as water jet saws and laser
cutting devices but I don't have a spare $30,000-75,000 to purchase one. 
I did see one advertised in BYTE magazine (a computer mag) a few years ago
I'm trying to track down but there are others.  Another I'm trying to
locate for jewelers uses some type of ultrasound technique to cut
intricate patterns in silver and gold such as filigree. 

If anyone has any leads on such an inexpensive computer-controlled cutting
device, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about them.  Thanks.
Jim Divoky, Kent Computer Services, Inc., 112 Portage St., Kent, OH
44240-2529

---

From: Eugene P Feist <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Mar 1995 01:13:27 GMT

Hi;

     Sounds like a great project to tackle; you might look into a CNC
wire feed EDM Machine, but I think that they are more expensive than the
options you already ruled out for cost.
     They are terribly neat though; they can move the top and bottom wire
feed/takeup independantly and can create 3d shapes that way.
    Hmmm, a CNC scroll saw?  Two slide axes with servo motors, an old two
axis controller from a mill, and some band saw parts?
   If you build one, I'd be interested to hear how and what!

Regards;
Paul Feist
Paladin Gun Repair
[email-masked]