Subject: Re: Whats a Slide Rule ?

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 14:59:05 -0500

;)  Actually I have only ever seen pictures of them in books.

Last year I was interviewing a GA Tech grad for a position as a
programmer.  While I was distracted by the phone, he picked up my K&E Log
Log Decitrig that I keep over my terminal as a reminder.  

When I got off the phone he remarked "I saw a picture of one of these in a
math class once."

(He didn't get the job.<G>)

Glenn Ashmore  -  The Lone Mid-Ga Steamer

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Hoover)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 08:54:20 GMT

But I ahve to really respect anything that helped design birds
like the SR-71, F-4 and U-2  I have read some great articals on
problems with high speed vibrations and the piolet would take up
the tech geek and while working his slidde rule would figure out
(some how I never could figure out how ) what was causing the 
vibration harmonics..

	-R

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Kirby)
Date: 9 Feb 95 17:01:33 CST

GAshmore ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Last year I was interviewing a GA Tech grad for a position as a
: programmer.  While I was distracted by the phone, he picked up my K&E Log
: Log Decitrig that I keep over my terminal as a reminder.  

: When I got off the phone he remarked "I saw a picture of one of these in a
: math class once."

You should have offered him a set of Log Tables and asked if he could work
out what they were for.

Slide rule? Luxury.
We *dreamed* of having a slide rule...

*grin*

Tim
--
Tim Kirby                    - [email-masked] -                +1-(612)-683-5390
Software Division System Support ________________ Cray Research, Eagan MN, USA
----------------- Ask not for whom I speak - I speak for me ------------------
If you are sure you understand everything that is going on,
you are hopelessly confused...                                - Walter Mondale

---

From: [email-masked] (M.J. DiGirolamo)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 04:01:15 GMT

> We *dreamed* of having a slide rule...

Hey Tim,

  This is no lie.  I sat through many engineering courses struggling
through exams to get that 3rd and maybe 4th digit on my trusty
"slip-stick" and remember distinctly how one of my classroom colleagues
had an ABACUS balanced on his left leg.  "Bing, bing, bing," man, he used
to shift those beads up and down claiming phenomenal accuracy in those
days (the early 60's).  I always wanted to learn how to use one but, as
many things go; it never happened!

Best Regards,
 
Michael J. DiGirolamo, O.D.,F.A.A.O.
Doctor of Optometry
Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
[email-masked]
Charlottesville, VA

---

From: [email-masked] (GAshmore)
Date: 10 Feb 1995 20:16:05 -0500

out what they were for.

I couldn't be that mean.<G>  But I did keep my  log/trig tabels,
amortization tables, a tray of 80 column cards and a wired up summary
punch board that one day I will use to beat my grandchildren with.  "To
heck with walking 5 miles to school kids!  I had to do my math with a
pencil and paper when I was your age!"<G>