Subject: Lubricants for a brand new lathe

From: [email-masked] (FeC141b)
Date: 16 Oct 1994 03:48:02 -0400

I just bought myself a new Enco-Maier 11" Lathe... It's a European machine
and of course all the lubrication specifications are European... Anybody
know where I could get my hands on some of the "generic" lubricants that
American lathe operators use... Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 14:15:47 GMT

>American lathe operators use... Thanks

Per the FAQ, "get the right stuff". Don't use motor oil, etc. 

Just ordered Guy Lautard's booking on oiling, so can't comment on too much yet.

Most of the larger suppliers sell in gallon quanity, but I was happy to see
Cardinal Engineering (Address & number are in the FAQ, email me if you need it)
sells in pint/quart quanities, so I have ordered the a pint of all their offerings
of oil to see what it is! 

I'll post a follow up when the materials and books arrive.  

Tom Walter				[email-masked]
Austin, TX.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 17 Oct 94 17:00:31 MDT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (FeC141b) writes:

|>I just bought myself a new Enco-Maier 11" Lathe... It's a European machine
|>and of course all the lubrication specifications are European... Anybody
|>know where I could get my hands on some of the "generic" lubricants that
|>American lathe operators use... Thanks

Well, first step would be to call whoever you bought it from and
complain that they are selling an expensive piece of equipment with
useless instructions.

Second, ftp to plains.uwyo.edu and pick up the FAQ from the /METAL/
directory.  There is a discussion on oiling in there, in particular
question 33 in part 6.

Jim