Subject: another imported tool story

From: [email-masked] (Terry Mayhugh)
Date: 12 Aug 1994 21:38:00 GMT

Several months ago I posted a request asking about users experiences with
the
small imported horizontal metal bandsaws. I finally determined that I
really
needed the bigger model (7"x12" with hydraulic cylinder) because of
material
size limitations when making miter cuts. After considering Grizzly, Harbor
Freight, and Enco, I selected Harbor Freight since they had free shipping
and
they actually had units in stock. Harbor Freight has always been
cooperative
about also paying for lift gate service to my home even when a delivery
service
had to be hired. I suspect all 3 and the others by from the same factories
and
basically differ in spare parts support.

The saw arrived promptly (1 week). Although the crating was really
inadequate,
the saw looked great. It was completely assembled and the fit and finish
was as
good as I could ask for. The first problem I ran into was that it just
wouldn't
run. I figured I had nothing to lose in disassembling the motor myself and
so I
did. I found that the stator had slipped loose from the case and had
sheared
the starting capacitor leads as well as the stator winding in 2 places. The
motor manufacturer secured the soft iron stator to the cast iron case with
4
tac welds and these had broken loose, probably in shipment. I don't know
much
about motor building but this really looked like a poor scheme to me. The
welds
were ugly and the spatter was left on the inside wall of the case
to fall into the open bearings later. Anyway I re-did the tacs, hopefully
doing a better job and repaired the windings. I couldn't believe the thing
ran
when I was done.

I did some test cuts to test perpendicularity in some heavy material and
was
quite impressed. The results were nearly perfect. I did ruin 2 blades
before
discovering the importance of gently starting the cut. My only complaint
about
the machine at this point is that the chip pan is too small and you
just can't keep the coolant from splashing the floor. A carpet remnant was
eventually added to cover up this problem.

This machine uses a hydraulic cylinder to regulate the feed and I learned
that
adjusting the feed rate properly is very important. In fact, I don't see
how
big unit without the cylinder for $100 less is even usable. Anyway the next
problem noticed was that this cylinder was leaking. A week later I decided
to
open it up, and I replaced the top O-ring seal but that didn't fix it so I
called Harbor Freight about a replacement. They have promised to send me
one
when they get some in, and from past experience I know they will. It will
take
time however. The motor problem may show up again and if it does I'll buy a
UL
replacement. Outside that, I think I can get on with using the machine now.

In the past, I have purchased a lathe, a mill, and a shear from the 3
companies
mentioned above. Although I've not had the same problems I experienced with
the
saw, the problems I have had were on the same order, all were fixable
with some ingenuity, and in all cases I ended up with a tool that I could
use
effectively and more importantly, one that I could afford. I don't count my
time or the material I had to add to do get them to a usable state but then
I
guess I did get some repair/design experience.

My only real disappointment with imported tools was with a pair
of press plates I bought for $20. I wasn't paying enough attention to
notice
that they were cast iron (but rated for 30 ton!) when I used them to test a
20 ton hydraulic press that I built. One of the plates shattered and broke
the
tip of the bone of my thumb. Harbor Freight offered to replace them if I
paid
the return shipping costs. Of course it wasn't worth it and so I ended up
discarding them and spending nearly $80 for some hot rolled to make my own.

Just thought I'd add this personal experience to the others on imported
tools.