Subject: Too big of a chuck

From: [email-masked] (Doug Willoughby - Area Systems Engineer)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 14:16:15 GMT

I acquired a three jaw chuck for my 9" Logan that is "truely
massive." By "truely massive" I mean about twice the physical
weight as the three jaw that originally came with the the lathe.
The chuck seems really well made--its accurate and well balanced.
By I can't help wondering if its too much of a good thing. Certainly
the extra weight will add momentum and smooth out any impulse forces,
but could it also be causing excess wear to the bearings and such?

Doug

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Pettengill)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 18:46:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Doug Willoughby - Area Systems Engineer) says:
SNIP
>but could it also be causing excess wear to the bearings and such?

True you will have a greater initial load, but you probaly will never
run it as fast as the small chuck.

  Greg Pettengill                          Cote'
[email-masked]                   The Fine Art of 
  (602) 375-2922                    Product Development