Subject: Need help with old machine "Emrick Univ. Woodworker"

From: [email-masked] (Vince Miller)
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 00:36:43 GMT

I just aquired a combination power tool made by the Emrick Co. in Kalamazoo
MI.  It is called a "universal woodworker," and claims to be 5 tools in 1.
It is a well made, no frills handiman machine constructed of heavy angle 
iron with very long bronze bearings.  It has a lathe (33" bed, 5" swing), a 
drill press (10" swing) and a grinder.  The other two functions are a 
mystery to me.  Anyone know?

The drill press has one of those proto-Jacobs, 3 jaw keyless chucks on a 
1/2-24 threaded quill.  When were these made?

The lathe has a 5/8-12 headstock thread, with an internal taper holding the 
drive center.  Is this headstock thread common?  It has an aluminum face-plate
it has no holes drilled in it.  Is this a faceplate, or something else?  I will
prob drill it to use a face plate.

The tailstock seems to be the big limitation.  It is a 1/2-14 threaded rod, 
the dead center seems integral to this peice, but I've seen some small tapers
on tailstocks (morse 0?), and it may be seized.  (It took quite a while to 
get the drive center free, how should one care for these tapers?)

Any answers to the above questions would be much appreciated.  E-mail is prob
best since I suspect Emrick Univ. Woodworkers are not a widespread interest.

Thanks,

Vince

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 05:15:15 GMT

Vince:

If the taper is truly a MT 0, the only place I've been able
to find that carries them *reasonably* is Sherline in San
Marcos, CA.  Their little lathe uses the MT 0 in the tailstock.

When I was a lad, I remember a demo at the LA County Fair for
a Universal woodworking tool.  Lathe, Drill Press, Tablesaw --
with a wobble feature for dado cuts -- disk sander, -- mount the
sanding disk to the arbor -- and, and, and.  They were touting it
as the "..Only Tool you need for a complete workshop...." this may
have been the Emrick but dunno...

Faceplates come in many different varities.  Some are cast with 
mounting slots in them, others have pre-drilled mounting holes,
while others have no slots or holes.  I cast my own as I need them
for different projects.  I just fininshed one that I will drill and
tap to mount whatever odd item I need.  I suspect you have a blank
faceplate but...

-- 
    - Barry Workman