Subject: Re: Camp-Haus 6HP 220V 60G compressor

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 20:59:14 GMT

>>>>> "Ian" == Ian Macky <[email-masked]> writes:

Ian> Does anyone have any experience with the Campbell-Hausfeld
Ian> "professional" series 6HP 60-gallon 220V single-stage upright
Ian> compressor?

I have had a "direct drive oilless" CH 3.5hp 20 gal and now have the
Professional series 3.5hp 20 gal.  The direct drive ones are too noisy
for my tastes, but still, the support behind the products is
outstanding and the compressor worked just fine..  Availability of
parts and information is great.  CH also stands behind their products
100%.

Ian> Best price I've seen so far is $485 from Grizzly (plus FOB).

Depending on the freight to you, this is a great price.

Ian> Is this machine worth the money?  Can anyone recommend a better
Ian> unit, or a better unit for quality/price?

Wood magazine rated Quincy a better compressor than CH, but the price
in the Harbor Freight catalog was $40 more for a comparable unit.
However, since the Harbor Freight store had the CH compressor on sale
for $45 less than the catalog price and they had a damaged one ( a
shipping ding ) which they would take an additional $20 off of, I
definitely went with the CH instead of the Quincy.  Besides, I knew CH
support was top notch, I was not about to take a chance on another
company.

Ian> I'd rather spend the money up front and get something I'll be
Ian> happy with in the long run (hence 60gal 220V upright).

Quite right about this, especially since you want to sandblast.
Sandblasting and high speed die grinders can get ahead of a 3.5hp
compressor pretty readily, but the 3.5hp quite usable for both these
tasks, you just need to stop occasionally.  You do not get any more
CFM (only about .2CFM) until you get up to 5hp, so you sure don't want
to get any lower than 5hp.  I am really surprised at the low cost of
the 6hp version.

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Macky)
Date: 28 Sep 1994 00:47:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (me) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the Campbell-Hausfeld "professional"
>series 6HP 60-gallon 220V single-stage upright compressor?

I heard from five people regarding my query.  The salient points were:

    *	Three people had the unit I asked about.  All were satisfied
	with the quality.

    *	It was generally agreed that 9@90 was marginal for sandblasting.
	OK but not great.

    *	1-stage compressors run higher RPMs and therefor wear out faster;
	2-stage runs slower, wears longer and has higher output, but costs
	a lot more (twice).  Something to consider.

    *	HP is a suspicious figure.  The C-H unit is rated 6HP, but it's
	not really!  It can't produce 6HP under continuous duty
	(sandblasting).  Again, flow is the rating to look at.

All in all it seems like a decent machine.  Post Tool sells it for $399
(no delivery), Home Depot for $394 ($35 delivery), both beat Grizzy's price
of $485 ($50+ FOB).  Sears sells relabeled DeVilbliss compressors that were
comperable ($500 for 10@90), but not really a better deal.  Hmm, actually,
someone said the Sears unit did 15@90 which would make it a much better
deal; I'll have to find out which is right.

Thanks to Steve Rasmussen, Neil Sutcliffe, Chris Shaker, Terry Mayhugh,
and Gary Preckshot for responding.

--ian

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Macky)
Date: 28 Sep 1994 22:45:42 GMT

Me, following up myself again.

>deal; I'll have to find out which is right.

I checked out the 60G unit at Sears.  It's rated 11.5@90 which is 27% better
than 9@90.  Direct-drive, oilless == Noisy, wears out?  It's $500 instead of
$400.  I liked the quality and design, but I think the C-H is a better deal.

BTW, found out Home Depot charges $35 to deliver, no matter how much they're
delivering!  Saving up my orders can get compressor, lumber, etc all delivered
for the same $35.

--ian

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Macky)
Date: 30 Sep 1994 20:08:28 GMT

>$400.  I liked the quality and design, but I think the C-H is a better deal.

Went to CostCo.  They had the DiVilbliss 60G upright for $350 (or $360?).
One Who Should Know said if CostCo has the tool you want, then it will be
cheapest.  Same direct-drive, aluminum-housed, oil-free single-stage as at
Sears, it appears.  It was rated at 10.5, not 11.5 however -- is Sears
over-optimistic?

I think I'll be going with the C-H unit I originally asked about.  I should
be OK with 9@90 and a 60G tank (cast-iron, oiled).

--ian