Subject: Re: Wanted: blacksmithing tools

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 04:13:14

>If you have any used equipment for sale, or suggestions
>on where to find used equipment, I'd like to hear from
>y
Unfortunately the pestiferous tool collectors have bought up most of the
old blacksmithing tools.  Check out the flea markets, etc.  and you may
find some. However for most of the stuff it's either cheaper to buy it new
or to make it.

Make a drift to form eyes with, get yourself some good-sized bar stock and
go to it. You'll learn a lot in the process.

--Rick Cook

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 18:16:44

Kinsey writes:
>I'v e got a ton of stuff I gathered in the good old days, but I find I do
>95% of my work with about 2% of the stuff.

That's true of anyone, I think. However the other stuff is useful and a lot
of the time when you need it, having it saves you a lot of hassle and time.

> Unless you are doing all sorts
>of things a beginner isn't likely to be doing, you need about 4 pairs of
>tongs with different "apertures" for different thickness stock; a good
>forging hammer--I use a ball pein-- a smaller "riveting hammer" and
>something bigger 3#-4# with a straight pein when I need to really clout
>something. A few punches and go from there.

To this I would add at least one flatter and a cutting set for the hardie
hole. Also a scroll fork (which is real easy to make)

--Rick Cook

---

From: [email-masked] (K.F.Kinsey)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 15:16:44 GMT

I'v e got a ton of stuff I gathered in the good old days, but I find I do
95% of my work with about 2% of the stuff. Unless you are doing all sorts
of things a beginner isn't likely to be doing, you need about 4 pairs of
tongs with different "apertures" for different thickness stock; a good
forging hammer--I use a ball pein-- a smaller "riveting hammer" and
something bigger 3#-4# with a straight pein when I need to really clout
something. A few punches and go from there. There is still stuff out there
at junky antique shops and fleas, and vastly cheaper than the few places
that sell new tools.