Subject: Re: Bandsaw blade welding

From: [email-masked] (Jim Craighead)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 19:03:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Vince Miller) says:
>
>I have some 1/8 wood bs blades that I want to repair.  I went into the 
>machine shop at school to use the welder on their saw.  Even with the lowest 
>setting, I couldn't get the welds to hold.  The clamps move toward each 
>other while the current is applied.  This blade is so thin, it just warps 
>and the ends slide past each other.  When I have seen it done in the past, 
>the peices are butted up against each other before the lever is pushed, the 
>pressure then just insures a good weld.  Am I correct?  I didn't want to bug 
>the dudes in the shop, I need to save thier good graces for bigger 
>projects.  I considered setting the blade so that the peices touch as the 
>lever is pushed, but the thought of the two clamp blocks smacking together 
>with a huge arc and burning out the transformer dissuaded me.
>
>I have various silver braising wires and fluxes.  What are the brazed joints 
>shaped like?  Are the just lapped, then ground flat, or are they ground on a 
>taper then joined?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Vince

I have had pretty good luck by tapering about 1/4 inch on a sander,
silver-soldering, & then touching it up on a sander again. I remove
any teeth that are in the lapped area.
Jim Craighead
Development Electronics
Mayo Clinic