Subject: Blacksmith's "great bellows"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 01:33:54 GMT

Recently someone dropped of an antique blacksmiths bellows in my driveway.
The fittings on it are hand forged.  It has been left out in the elements
for several years.  It is covered in a very deteriated tarred canvas rather
than leather.  It is in quite poor shape, but is salvageable with 
considerable work.  The previous owner has asked me to assign some fair
market value for it.  I have no idea what the worth is.  I spoke to a couple
of other smiths in this area who pretty much thought it was valueless.  Is
this true?  I don't want to cheat anyone, and I especially do not want the
issue of fair value to be raised after I restore it.   On the other hand
I would really like to get it functional again as I have used one before 
and found it a real pleasure quite unlike my hand crank blower and for more
satisfying than my electric.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Hoopes)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:17:48 GMT

>satisfying than my electric.   

Never, ever set the price for something you are going to buy.  Let him set
the price, or make an offer of what YOU think it is worth.  If you don't
agree walk away.

-- 
David Hoopes                              Exabyte Corp.
[email-masked]                       11100 W 82nd St.          
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x3323               Lenexa, Ks  66214

---

From: [email-masked] (Daryl Bender)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:12:02 -0500

> satisfying than my electric.   

I got mine for $80.00. The leather is OK around the sides but a bit stiff,
the nozzle is fairly beat up, someone put on strap hinges at the hinge
point and  the original reddish barn paint is still on it. I'm told it was
made in the 1850's and used by a smith/farmer in Lanark County. Oh ya all
the wood is sound.
If you have people dropping antique blacksmith equipment on your driveway
maybe I should give you my number 8^)
Daryl 
Working, but not speaking for BNR.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Beaton)
Date: 8 Feb 1995 23:50:03 GMT

>satisfying than my electric.   

Sir: 

	The issue is not what it is worth, but what enjoyment you can have putting it back in to working condition. Consider leather rather than canvas, which was only a substitute in the first place. You will want split tanned.leather, not greenhide. Deerskin i
s good if available.