Subject: Re: Hit-and mis petrol (gas) engine plans

From: [email-masked] (Peter Wiley - Poultry)
Date: 6 Feb 1995 23:02:01 GMT

There was a set of plans in Home Shop Machinist for a hit and miss engine. If
you can't find them, I have all the relevant issues.

Peter Wiley

---

From: [email-masked] (Drew Diamond)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 16:08:56

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for plans for a 
reletively simple, small hit-and-mis (or maybe two-stroke) engine. Prefer 
fabrication rather than castings. My club has back-issues of Modeltec and 
Model Engineer (although the latter has had nothing quite to my needs lately). 
Have access to the usual workshop tools.

Kind regards,
Drew Diamond.
Telecom Australia Research Laboratories

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark McDade (303) 673-6841)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 05:27:31 GMT

Drew Diamond ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for plans for a 
: reletively simple, small hit-and-mis (or maybe two-stroke) engine. Prefer 
: fabrication rather than castings. My club has back-issues of Modeltec and 
: Model Engineer (although the latter has had nothing quite to my needs lately). 
: Have access to the usual workshop tools.

: Kind regards,
: Drew Diamond.
: Telecom Australia Research Laboratories 

Try the Village Press (Live Steam/Home Shop Machinist magazine publisher)
books.  "Steam and Stirling - Books 1 and 2" and the "Shop Wisdom of
Philip Duclos" are possibilities (the latter specifically has hit-and-miss
designs).

Mark McDade

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 6 Feb 95 11:27:12 MST

Did some more checking, and HSM ran a series on a gearless hit-and-miss
over four issues in 1993: May/June, through Nov/Dec.  The author was
the late Phil Duclos.

Jim

---

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Feb 1995 06:49:10 GMT

There were two Hit n Miss in Home Shop Machinist from plans.  One 
was about 1986 called the Odds N Ends, then a year or so ago came 
the gearless odd ball engine.  
Another set of plans for a "scrap material" engine can be 
purchased from:   J & E Palmer Enjines
                  1019 Audrey Avenue
                  Campbell, CA 95008

$25.00 us funds.  10 sheets 17" x 22" Twelve inch flywheels, but 
smaller will work if you are limited on lathe swing.  He says all 
operations have been done on a lathe and drill press, although a 
mill will speed up the process.

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen

---

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Feb 1995 07:22:24 GMT

Just sent the other message, but I have all the Home Shop 
Machinist back copies.  If you want to send me your mailing 
address, I'll send you a couple of pages on each of the engines 
and you can decide if you want all the articles on either or both 
and I'll send them to you.  I have a casting kit for a 
Fuller-Johnson hit-n-miss, I have an Ottawa regular size with 
buzz saw and drag saw and a McCormick-Deering regular size 1 1/2 
hp.  Just bought castings for Rider-Ericsson hot air engine which 
I'm going to build first.   Let me know via E-mail and I'll send 
some stuff off to you.    Carl Carlsen

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 07:36:12 GMT

>mill will speed up the process.

You ought to see what John cooks up from scrap steel.  He has built a 
1/4 scale Rumley Oil Pull tractor that holds just him.  John is now 
building a 1/2 scale Rumley and brings the pieces to our club meetings. 
 The cylinder head looks like a casting but is made up of a piece of a 
fire extinguisher and other bits of iron.  His stuff always looks great 
and runs great when he gets done.

He showed us the crankcase of the 1/2 scale last month.  He commented 
that it took just a little heat and a 12 ton jack to roll the 5/8 steel 
plate that makes up the case.

John is quite an inventor.  He invented an entire set of machines to 
make paper eating utensils . . . plates, cups, and bowls, about 20 years 
ago.  He's just finishing a total rebuild of the machines so its slowed 
up his Rumley project just a "tad."

BTW, for all you engine nuts out there, our club secretary stopped in 
the UK on a recent trip and brought back the guts of a couple of very 
small magnetos.  Just the coil, stator and rotor.  The case, distributor 
and breaker cam have to be designed and built by the user.  Could 
probably fit 4 of them in a kitchen match box.

Source:

Minimag Co
358 Birminham Road
Walsall
West Midlands
WS5 3NX
telephone (0922) 28553

They are somewhat expensive at 45 BPS each.  A completed unit is 165 BPS 
but I think they are made by a another company.  We hope to see one 
running a hit-n-miss by mid-year.  I'll keep you posted if there is any 
interest.

Best,

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus)
Date: 6 Feb 1995 22:31:18 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (James 

>over four issues in 1993: May/June, through Nov/Dec.  The author was

The engine in question is definitely not for beginners.  My neighbor 
built one and it runs well but needed some adjustments in the springs, 
etc., before it would run well.

There is a book out, published by Village Press (HSM) called <
"The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos."  In it is several hit and miss 
engine plans and construction instructions.  They cost $25 from Enco 
here in the States.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry L. Lankford)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 08:35:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Drew
Diamond) writes:
|>Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for plans for a 
|>reletively simple, small hit-and-mis (or maybe two-stroke) engine. Prefer 
|>fabrication rather than castings. My club has back-issues of Modeltec and 
|>Model Engineer (although the latter has had nothing quite to my needs 
|>lately).
|>Have access to the usual workshop tools.

A four-part construction article was published in The Home Shop Machinist 
called "Gearless Hit 'n' Miss Engine" by Philip Duclos in the following 
issues:

 Volume 12, No. 3     May/June 1993
 Volume 12, No. 4     July/August 1993
 Volume 12, No. 5     September/October 1993
 Volume 12, No. 6     November/December 1993

The magazine is published by:

 Village Press
 P.O. Box 1810
 Traverse City, MI  49685
 (800) 447-7367 or (616) 946-3712

Village Press sells back issues, but I have no idea if the ones above are 
available.  Prices are US$5.50 plus shipping and handling for one copy or 
US$5.00 plus shipping and handling per copy for two or more.  The advert 
does not say what shipping and handling would be to Australia.

Barry L. Lankford        email: [email-masked]       Amateur Radio: N4MSJ
Madison, Alabama, USA     ICBM: 34deg 41min 52.2sec N, 86deg 45min 34.2sec W

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Frisbie)
Date: 8 Feb 95 11:51:50 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] (Drew Diamond) writes:

> fabrication rather than castings. 

Lindsay Publications has just what you are looking for:
"Hit & Miss Engine Plans", by Harold Depenbusch.
It describes a 1.125" bore x 1.5" stroke engine that can
be built entirely without castings.   There are about twelve
pages of text and 29 pages of drawings.   Order #1252, $15.95

    Lindsay Publications, Inc.
    P.O. Box 538
    Bradley, IL 60915

    815-935-5353 (voice)
    815-935-5477 (FAX)

As you are in Australia, you may want to check with Plough Book Sales.
They carry other Lindsay books and might have this one also.

--  Alan E. Frisbie               [email-masked]
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 13 Feb 1995 16:19:44 -0800

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Rehmus) writes:
>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes: 
>
>>
>>Anyone interested in building the Philip Duclos gearless hit'n miss
>>should take note. Home Shop Machinist has reported that the spark 
>>plug used (1/4-32thread) is no longer available from the listed source.
>>HSM also suggests that a glow plug might work? Any thoughts on this
>>out there.
>>
>>Keith
>
>I'm chasing down a source of $6 (so I'm told) miniature sparkplugs.  
>I'll keep you posted.
>
>By the way, Coleman stove gas seems to work better than pump gas.  Less 
>fouling, etc.
>
>My friend, who has one that really works well and starts easily, used a 
>spark plug he purchased a while ago from Coles'
>
>Mike

I should think Coles' would have them, but also there must be suppliers 
in England. 1/4"-32 is a common size as I remember adverts.  You could 
try Woking Precision Models, 10 New Street, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4EA 
England, or call them at 01832-272868.  Their complete cat is 2 pounds - 
about US$3.25 right now.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 21:39:13 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Allen Majorovic) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Allen Majorovic)
>Subject: Re: Hit-and mis petrol (gas) engine plans
>Date: 15 Feb 1995 22:56:26 GMT

>
>I've been following this thread for a while and I would like to ask what 
>the difference is between a make-and-break engine and hit-and-miss engine.

Make and Break refers to a low tension form of ignition. The points are inside 
the cylinder, in the combustion space. This requires a rotating seal, and 
limited the engines to rather low speeds. The points also required the
combustion space to be rather large, so compression ratio was low, or 
cylinders very big.  Spark occus across the point because of a big inductor in 
series. No spark coil or transformer action is used. Make and break is the 
electrical action of making and breaking a circuit.

Hit and Miss refers to a governor mechanism. When the engine exceeded the 
governor set speed, it 'missed' a few strokes to slow it down. Some governors 
simply stopped the spark, some held the exhaust valve open. Almost all 
stationary engines were governed this way. When operating the hit and miss is 
a very obvious sound. As the load increasses the hits become more frequent.

It would be possible to build a make and break hit and miss engine, but by the 
time they got around to building make and break, spark ignition had pretty 
well taken over, so most hit and miss are spark.

Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger

---

From: Carl C. Carlsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 1995 06:46:50 GMT

Ron is on target, but just a couple of more words.  The terms I 
believe WERE interchangeable, but the Hit n Miss has been 
"popularized" to include ALL the little one lunger engines.  To 
be more specific, the make and break term I believe refers to the 
engines whose speed is governed by a rod which holds the exhaust 
valve open until the speed slows to the point that the rod now 
"breaks" and allows the exhaust valve to close and fire on that 
stroke.  These engines may rotate several strokes before the 
exhaust valve closes and the engine fires.  This contrasts to the 
other type of "hit n miss" which is throttle governed and fires 
on every stroke, which tends to cut down on the "jumping" 
tendancy of the make & break when it does decide to fire.  The 
Breisch/Peters or whatever the current name is, offer a couple of 
casting kits as either throttle governed or make n break.  Carl

-- 
Carl C. Carlsen

---

From: [email-masked] (Per T Jenssen)
Date: 21 Feb 1995 09:18:14 GMT

Go get a coopy of "Model Airplane News" or "Radio Control Modeler" or
"Scale Models".  There usually is at least a couple of companies,
delivering spark-systems for model engines.  I seems to remember that
the threads in glow engines is 1/4-32 ???.
Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)