Subject: Need tailstock for dividing head

From: [email-masked] (Russ Kepler)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 04:23:34 GMT

I've recently obtained in a deal a semi-universal dividing head.  The
previous owner never had a tailstock for the head, and I find that I
need one for some projects.  The problem is that I can't find the
manufacturer of the dh since a previous owner (likely the government)
machined off the manufacturer's name so they'd have a nice surface for
their serial number.

It's a 4-1 ratio with 5" plates.  It's supposed to be either a Pratt &
Whitney or Hardinge, and I'm told by someone who knows that it's one
of those.  I've got the 4 jaw and 3 jaw chucks, both fitting the 2.181
x 10TPI spindle (2.181?  kind of strange, huh?), and I've got the 5C
collet pulling thingy.  I need a tailstock whose center is at 3.625"
>from  the table (3 5/8"), I'd like fixed but an adjustable could be
made to work.

In case someone has some 5" plates they don't need I've got the
70-66-48, 49-47-43, 41-39-37 and the 19-18-17 all labeled PA-xx where
xx is the smallest number on the plate.  Additional plates would be
gratefully traded for.  A source of 4-1 indexing data would be
appreciated, else I'll just code something up to generate such a
table.  _Machinery's Handbook_ appears to be limited to 40-1 DH info.

If someone needs a tailstock I do have a donated Van Norman. serial
6-4621 with a center 3.840 (or thereabouts) above the table.  It's not
adjustable, unfortunately, but is well made with a nicely scraped base
on the cast iron.  I'd tradt this straight across for and appropriate
tailstock I can use, or perhaps for something else if no such offer
appears.

Other trade goods might include a set of 7 Rivett 4NS collets made by
Gorton.  I might consider trading these for R8 or 5C collets of
similar quality, and I do need both 5C and R8 collets.

Failing all this I could use pointers to someone who would be likely
to be able to supply all this in either a new or used condition.  I'll
be calling a couple of numbers in Home Shop Machinist (Greg Lewis, I
saw your note in the Jan/Feb issue...)  Additional numbers/names would
be appreciated - Albuquerque seems to be a wasteland for machinery. 
Of course, if you wanted to wind carbon fiber or to machine uranium or
plutonium we might be able to find the hardware.

-- 
Russ Kepler posting from home  [email-masked]

                      Please don't feed the Engineers