Subject: Re: Sterling Engine? Where ca

From: [email-masked] (Barry L. Lankford)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 12:06:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
(Roy Parker) writes:

>JJ> I would like to build a sterling engine.  Does anyone have a
>JJ> reference for me for plans, kits, etc?  Thanks ... Jack

>A number of years ago there was a company in Athens, Ohio that was 
>working on Sterling engines. They went commercial at one time, but I 
>moved and lost track of where they were. I suggest you call Ohio 
>University in Athens, Ohio (AC 614) and see if anyone in the mechanical 
>engineering department can help you. If that doesn't work, e-mail me at 
>[email-masked] (include your return e-mail address!). The 
>outfit I have in mind (called Sunpower) had a viable pump for use in 
>third world nations. Don't know where it went from there, but can track 
>down one or two of the critical people, I think.  Hope this helps.

> * RM 1.3 02784 * Why are there so many gnarly limbs on my family tree?

Village Press, P.O. Box 629, Traverse City, MI 49685, 1-800-447-7367 (24hrs) 
publishes two books, _Steam_and_Sterling,_Volume_I_ (160p., $34+S&H) and 
_Steam_and_Sterling,_Volume_II_ (196p., $36+S&H).  They also publish 
several "Projects" books ($32+S&H) which *may* have Sterling engine plans.
I am not affiliated with Village Press, and I do not have any of the books 
above, but I do have another of their books, _So_You_Want_to_Build_a_Live_
Steam_Locomotive_, with which I am pleased.  I also just noticed that the 
ad that I was looking at for the _Steam_&_Sterling_ books says that Vol. II 
has plans for 18 steam engines and 4 Sterling hot-air engines.  The ad 
doesn't break it down for Vol. I.  I also recall seeing plans for a 
Sterling engine in fairly recent issues (within 2 years) of either "The 
Home Shop Machinist" or "Projects in Metal", which are magazines published 
by Village Press.  For outside the US, phone number is 616-946-3712.

Barry L. Lankford        email: [email-masked]       Amateur Radio: N4MSJ
Madison, Alabama, USA     ICBM: 34deg 41min 52.2sec N, 86deg 45min 34.2sec W

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Schaible)
Date: 5 Jun 95 18:54:41 GMT

>down one or two of the critical people, I think.  Hope this helps.

Actually, an employee of "Sunpower" just gave a presentation here at the
Univ. of Colorado.  The company is very much in business, still located in
Athens, Ohio.  Their major projects involve free piston stirling engines.
They are involved in power generation, cooling, and compressor projects.
They are working with a company in (I think) Norway who will use an engine
designed by Sunpower for cooling in a refrigerator marketed to the general 
public.  They also have some of their hardware on the Space shuttle in
a food refrigerator, and are starting to develop small scale stirling cycle
coolers for thermal management of large integrated circuits.  This seems
like a pretty cool company, definately worth checking out if you are 
interested in stirling cycle machines.

Cheese

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry L. Lankford)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 12:06:43 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Schaible)
Date: 5 Jun 95 18:54:41 GMT

Cheese