Subject: Re: Which Gas ? knifemaker

From: [email-masked] (David Falk)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 00:40:18 GMT

Vance Burns ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am going to purchase a small rig to do some knife making. I would
: like to experiment with other gases besides Acetylene. 

What do you mean rig?  If you are setting up a heat treater or
a gas forge, give propane a try.

Dave.
-- 
David Falk, Junior System Administrator, SoftQuad Inc.  <[email-masked]>  
<!ENTITY Subliminal_Message    "Do a Nice Thing for Someone Today"  >
*My opinions do not represent those of SoftQuad Inc.*            IRC: Sutekh 
**KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD... FOREVER****Linux, choice of a GnuType Generation**

---

From: [email-masked] (Vance Burns)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 20:19:53 GMT

I am going to purchase a small rig to do some knife making. I would
like to experiment with other gases besides Acetylene. 

I worked for B&R back in my youth and remember a vast network of gas
lines to supply Natural Gas to all the yards. It made the nicest cut 
on very thick stock. Question: Why don't most home cfaftsmen  use NG?

I talked to a welding supply house and he said I could use a fish-fry
setup to do some things. Not sure how that would go...

Is there an alternative to Acetylene? I plan to not only cut, but join
stainless, brass, and carbon steels. 
Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Vance Burns)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 14:29:26 GMT

David Falk ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Vance Burns ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : I am going to purchase a small rig to do some knife making. I would
: : like to experiment with other gases besides Acetylene. 

: What do you mean rig?  If you are setting up a heat treater or
: a gas forge, give propane a try.

: Dave.
Sorry, by rig I mean cut/join stuff.