Subject: Brown & Sharpe

From: [email-masked] (JKovar)
Date: 27 May 1995 20:46:20 -0400

I have an older milling machine (INDEX), with a B&S  #9 spindle taper.
Is there a good way to convert this to R-8?,  I have the capability to
turn an adapter on my lathe, but I know when adapters and other crap are
added onto  the spindle, not only the spindle to table clearance is less,
but side loads are a problem. 
    I appreciate any suggestions.  
                                                   Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 29 May 1995 04:46:34 GMT

JKovar ([email-masked]) wrote:
:     I have an older milling machine (INDEX), with a B&S  #9 spindle taper.
: Is there a good way to convert this to R-8?,  I have the capability to
: turn an adapter on my lathe, but I know when adapters and other crap are
: added onto  the spindle, not only the spindle to table clearance is less,
: but side loads are a problem. 

You should look in the Enco, MSC, Grsnd Tool, etc. catalogs.  They do have
some stuff for B&S tapers.  My ancient bridgeport has B&S #7 taper, which
would make a r-8 taper hang all the way out of the spindle.  I think a
r-8 could fit inside a B&S #9, so that there would be very little extra
length.  Clamping the affair would be tricky, though.  The R-8 would have
to be bolted into the adapter with a bolt dropped down through the drawbar
hole, the the adapter bolted up into the machine spindle with the drawbar.
But I think such a device could be made.  It would need to be made with
several precision tapered mandrels.  Quite a project, but if you have a
toolpost grinder, you should be able to do it.  If you can find one, it
would probably be $200 to $400 new.  A well built adapter should have no 
problem supporting normal cutting loads, and the deflection of the tool
will probably be greater due to bearing deflection than tool holder/adapter
deflection.