Subject: Anyone building military models -round 2

From: [email-masked] (JCarducci)
Date: 23 May 1995 01:36:12 -0400

I only got a couple of respones to my last post about military models  but
what he heck I'll try a diifferent question. I want to start a new
project: a 1/10 scale M59 155mm 'Long Tom' cannon. I don't want it to fire
but I'd like everything that is feasible to function. What I need is good
reference materials and if possible drawings( blueprints especially
ordnance drawings what be fantastic). Does anyone know of or be able to
recommend a source for this? I plan to use brass, aluminum and steel were
appropriate.

I know of associations for miniature arms and field pieces but I don't
know where they are or if they have a presence on the net. 

Thanx for the help.

jc   
Jerry Carducci
What abend, I didn't touch THAT routine! It's not my fault. I need another
cup of coffee!

---

From: [email-masked] (JerryRei)
Date: 23 May 1995 08:23:22 -0400

Hi Jerry,

>know where they are or if they have a presence on the net. 

The group you want to contact (and maybe join) is The Minature Arms
Society. I don't think they are on the net.  Contact:

Bill Adrian, Secretary
Miniature Arms Society,
22W071 Stratford Court
Glen Ellyn 60137-6807

Good Luck.

Jerry
Member, Miniature Arms Society

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Youngson)
Date: 24 May 1995 22:54:01 GMT

>Another source for the information is the moderated news group, sci.military.
>You might be able to find a source for drawings for ordnance through that
>group.
>
>Pete Brooks

I would love to hear of any progress made in this area. My main area of 
interest, in modelling, is making scale field pieces. Mainly the more 
modern recoiling type, as opposed to cannons. 73

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 23 May 1995 18:13:30 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,
>What abend, I didn't touch THAT routine! It's not my fault. I need another

Can't tell you much about your question, but I can mention an alternate 
idea in tune with my hobby of model railroading (1 1/2" scale).  Some 
years ago I found a book outlining a complete set-up train for the 8" 
Railway Gun.  I got this on interlibrary loan from the US Army Military 
History Institute.  Its reference is *form # 1816* compiled and edited by 
the Ordnance Department, USA, Published by the War Plans Division, 
General Staff, USA.  It is War Department Document #799.  It is dated 
April 12, 1918.  It has a call number of UF603 A33 8in a25-a (1918) and 
was logged into the library on July 23, 1918 with a number 48585.

The US Army Military History Institute is at the "War College" I think.  
Since I do not have a city and state, I don't know if the War College is 
at West Point or in Washington, DC somewhere.  In any case, I have given 
enough information for your local librarian to do a Library of Congress 
search or a Military History Institute search.

The book gives enough data to build a complete train and gun.  It would 
be worth your while to get the book and copy it even if you did not build 
one.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brooks)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 19:32:52 GMT

Pete Brooks

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Custer)
Date: 25 May 1995 16:02:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>You might be able to find a source for drawings for 
ordnance through that
 
Recent Change:  Its now called sci.military.moderated

Dale R. Custer

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 05:15:44 GMT

>What abend, I didn't touch THAT routine! It's not my fault. I need another

Lindsay Publications offers a book called "Model Making".  In it is 
a Model Siege Gun.  Based on WW I designs the plans include carriage,
elevation screws, and a working breechblock.  This one has a 5/8"
bore and was designed as a firing model.  It may be a starting point
in designing your own model.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Wiley)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 03:21:08 GMT

>modern recoiling type, as opposed to cannons. 73

Me too, though my interest includes muzzle loaders. I have castings for
36" replica Napoleon 12 pounders sitting in my back yard at the moment. I
was going to build a 48" model but it's a bit big to fit on my lathe :)

If anyone has built any of the Gatling guns from plans in HSM, I'd love to
hear about it.

Peter Wiley