Subject: NH Auction Report

From: [email-masked] (Bob Neidorff)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 17:38:47 GMT

New Hampshire Auction Report

I attended a fairly large machine shop auction in Manchester, NH.
The auction was run by a California firm Great American.  Very
unfriendly people.  I can think of many more pleasant auctions,
with better terms, better organization, more help from the staff,
and also perhaps...  

They sold equipment from Leighton Machine Company.  This was a 
"secured party sale", which means something like the bank was
liquidating assets to repay a debt.  Leighton was making 
"dials and cylinders for the knitting industry."  The facility 
had some pre-1940 large tools as well as some more modern CNC 
equipment.  Prices varied wildly.  I felt that I did OK.  I 
bought an indexing head for $20, miscellaneous lathe tools
for $5 (including a beautiful Jacobs No. 20N chuck), a lifetime
selection of dowel pins, taper pins, helicoil inserts, o-rings,
springs, bushings, etc in three beautiful cabinets for $20, a 
worn pedistal grinder for $15, and oxy-acetylene torches for $120, 
all plus 10% auctioneer's premium.

Here's a sampling of larger tool prices, before 10% auctioneer's 
premium (no sales tax in NH).  When you see a range, there was 
more than one and prices varied with people's mood and quality.

Never underestimate mood in these auctions.  Some great lots 
sleep, while others go to the sky when someone really needs it.
There was one incident where two people were bidding against
eachother for a hugh pile.  They bid the pile to $1600.  It
wound up that one person wanted the gears in the pile, while
the other wanted the carbide slitting saws.  Had they gotten
together or communicated better, they would have saved lots of
money.  After this lot sold, many more IDENTICAL gear lots went
unsold.  Seems that this one bidder had enough gears.  :-(

Bridgeport Series 1 CNC				$1900-$2500
Bridgeport Series 1				$1700-$2300
Thompson Horizontal Grinder			$1500
Delta Double Drill Press			$150-$250
DoAll MC1600 Bandsaw w/welder			$1000
20x48 18" Univ Horiz Boring Machine		$1375
Southbend 14" Lathe w/Turret & Compound		$1875
Electric Chain Hoist				$100-$150
Milwaukee Horiz Mill				$400
Darex Tool Sharpener (two holders)		$275
Pedestal Grinders				$15-$70
Norton Tool Grinder				$275
Black Diamond Drill Sharpener (one holder)	$300
Delta Tool Room Turret Lathe			$400	!
Hardinge Lathe					$2750-$5000
Meuser 3' Lathe					$2500
Warner Swasy No. 1A Lathe			$350
Vernier Calipers 30" to 60"			$15-$160
Black Granite Surface Plate 3'x4'x4"		$100
Moes Slot Miller				$1000
Superior/Boston Gear Cutter			$25-$1000
Bullard Vertical Turret Lathe			$500
Blanchard 42" Diameter Grinder			$15,000	!!!
L-TEC PCM Plasma Welder				$200	!
Linde UCC 305 Welder				$250
Lincoln TM-300 Arc Welder			$150
Miller CP-300 MIG Welder			$900
Miller Synchrowave 350 Welder			$1500
Dewalt 10" Radial Arm Saw			$140
American 36" Wood Bandsaw			$50	!!!
Heavy Duty 30"x38" 12" Table Saw		$150
Lot: 12" Brake, 9" Brake & Arbor Press		$175
Macintosh Plus					$175	:-)
DG Nova 4 Based Paper Tape Programmer		$125	:-)

-- 
Bob Neidorff; Unitrode I. C. Corp.  |  Internet: [email-masked]
7 Continental Blvd.                 |  Voice   : (US) 603-429-8541
Merrimack, NH  03054-0399 USA       |  FAX     : (US) 603-424-3460