Subject: Tool post grinder

From: [email-masked] (RBuxton1)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 18:51:13 -0400

I just discovered this newsgroup, which is fortunate because I need
assistance with a project.  I am making the Tiny Power M1 5HP steam
engine.  I needed to make a smooth stainless steel shaft that runs in a
packing gland, so it has to be smooth.  I machined the necessary diameter
plus a couple of thousandths and set up the tool post grinder.  I am
unable to get a smooth finish.  My results appear to be many small flats
rather than a ground surface.  It looks like a harmonic pattern but there
was no sound to indicate that was the cause.  I tried many speeds and
feeds without any luck.  Needles to say, the part is now undersized, but I
would like to have an answer before I try again.  I would really
appreciate suggestions.  
Thanks
Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Webster)
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 1995 10:53:06 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (RBuxton1)
wrote:

 I machined the necessary diameter
> rather than a ground surface. 
> Rick

Sounds like the work piece wasn't centered, or, wasn't supported in the
tail stock.  You might try dressing the wheel, but that doesn't really
sound like it's the problem source.

Just my $02 worth.

regards.