Subject: Re: 110V/60Hz -> 220V/50Hz conversion

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 17:33:29 GMT

>they work correctly when he gets back home.  I assume
>that he has 220V/50Hz back home.  Will a converter
>that transforms the voltage be enough??  Or will he
>also have to get a frequency converter for his new tools.

Oy.  If these are power tools like lathes or table saws that have 
separate motors, he should buy a 240v motor that fits while he's here.  
If it's stuff like electric drills where the motor is inherent in the 
tool structure, he'll need a transformer to run it off of 240V.  The 
frequency shouldn't be critical, 50 Hz = 60 Hz for universal motors (the 
kind with brushes).  Our Eureka vacuum cleaner, for example,  has a 
nameplate rating of 120VAC, 4.3 A, 25-60 Hz.  I thought it was cool that 
they figured it might be used in a house supplied at 25 Hz like Niagara 
Falls in 1920.    
  If the price differential is great enough between here and Europe, your 
friend might want to see if he can buy 240V tools before he leaves.  Ask 
at your local comprehensive industrial supply place.  

                                   M Kinsler

---

From: Andrew Mawson <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Jun 1995 21:03:27 +0100

> Hi,
> I have a european friend here who wants to take a few
> power tools back to Finnland with him.  Will
> I assume he wants to do this because it is cheaper to buy
> power tools here.
> 
> Any thoughts out there??
> 
> Thanks
> 
> David Tulchinksy
> [email-masked]

Some years ago I had dealings with 60Hz motors in large computer disk enclosures
running on 50Hz here in the UK.

Because the impedance of the winding is lower at 50 Hz than it would be at 60 Hz
even at the correct voltage via a transfomer, the motor ran unacceptably hot, and the
grease used to pour out of the bearings and cause havoc in the disks.

The solution was trivial, run the motor at a lower voltage (we used 90-100 v for 110v motors)
Of course the torque will be lower, but I doubt that this will present too much of a problem
for power tools.
-- 

Andrew Mawson ------> [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Anderson)
Date: 8 Jun 1995 19:07:32 GMT

David Tulchinsky ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have a european friend here who wants to take a few
: power tools back to Finnland with him.  Will
: they work correctly when he gets back home.  I assume
: that he has 220V/50Hz back home.  Will a converter
: that transforms the voltage be enough??  Or will he
: also have to get a frequency converter for his new tools.

Most hand tools (drill, router, saw...) have universal motors
which will work on DC also.  Should be ok at 50Hz.

mark anderson