Subject: ArtMetal_UPDATE_003

From: [email-masked] (Enrique Vega)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 23:27:00 GMT

ArtMetal_UPDATE_003
===================

UPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATE

      //\                     //\    //\
     //  \     _____ ______  //  \  //  \     _____ ______
    //    \   ||    |  ||   //    \//    \   ||       ||   //\   ||
   //______\  ||____|  ||  //             \  ||___    ||  //  \  ||
  //        \ ||   \   || //               \ ||       || //____\ ||
 //          \||    \  ||//                 \||____   ||//      \||____

UPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATE

In this issue. . .
------------------

The ArtMetal Project
Update to the ArtMetal archives ***NEW GRAPHICAL FORMAT***
    ArtMetal Features           ***NEW SECTION***
        o  "Cyber Forge" QuickTime Movie
        o  "Picture of the Month" features Brian Meek
        o  IRC Interview with "Gold Moon Precious Metal & Gem Works"
    ArtMetal News
        o  Hephaistos - "A Visit with Tom Joyce" by Helmut Hillenkamp
    The ArtMetal Resource To Metalworking
        o  The Joy of Sharpening by Mike de Punte
        o  Metalworking Suppliers List
    Request for volunteers

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ArtMetal Project
--------------------

The ArtMetal Project is a not-for-profit volunteer venture of a group
of metalsmiths and organizations who strives to discuss and disseminate
various aspects of working artistically with metal.  ArtMetal is
bringing to the Net a main location for the world wide archiving of
metalworking information. The core for storage of this information is
currently at Washington Universities wuarchive. ArtMetal is the
facilitator for maintaining the information for all related individuals
and organizations.

Our home page is at:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/ArtMetal.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update to the ArtMetal archives ***NEW GRAPHICAL FORMAT***
----------------------------------------------------------

This month we bring you a totally new graphical format to the ArtMetal
Project.  We have redesigned our Web pages to incorporate the new
features provided by Netscape 1.1N.  Although you can still view our
web pages with other browsers, Netscape has given us the ability to
control image placement and background and text coloring.  If you are
running Netscape be sure to check out the layout of the Features
section.  It's AWESOME!!!

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Features.html

If you do not have Netscape 1.1N, you can download it from:

http://www.iprolink.co.nz/reg.html

The ArtMetal update only shows all NEW additions to the archive.  There
are many other documents that have been added in the past.

Notes on getting files from wuarchive:

wuarchive is CASE sensitive.  You MUST enter the url's exactly as
listed.

This update shows the URL's (Uniform Resource Locator) for FTPing
and/or HTTPing.  For those of you using a web browser, use the http://
url.  If you are going to ftp, change the http:// to ftp://.  Also note
that if a URL is longer than one line, you will need to delete the
return at the end of the line for it to work properly.

If you have problems accessing these files, contact Mark Williams.
He is one of our Net Wizards and maintains the ArtMetal Help Desk at:

<[email-masked]>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ArtMetal Features           ***NEW SECTION***
----------------------------------------------

The ArtMetal Features section is updated monthly with new stories,
graphics, movies and sounds that will give you a new perspective on
this ancient craft which continues to bring fresh and provocative
innovations to the metalworking industry.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Features.html

"Cyber Forge" QuickTime Movie
-----------------------------

To stimulate your visual senses while you are browsing the ArtMetal
Project, download the Cyberforge (264k) QuickTime movie and loop it in
the background.  Imagine a forge fire that doesn't go out and never
needs to be stoked!  If you do not have the QuickTime player, you can
get it for pc's or mac's at Apples QuickTime Continuum.

http://quicktime.apple.com/

ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/TOC/proces/forge/00image/Forge.mov

"Picture of the Month" features Brian Meek
------------------------------------------

The picture of the month feature highlights metalsmiths from around the
world.  We are providing you with a brief artist statement, and a jpeg
image that highlights the artists work.  This month we are showing
Brian Meek's brooch "Emerald Lies".  A powerful eye which stares back
with a quote, "I trust you trust in me to mistrust you."

ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Features/pic_mnth/brian.txt

ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Features/pic_mnth/brian.jpg

IRC Interview with "Gold Moon Precious Metal & Gem Works"
---------------------------------------------------------

In an attempt to bring to you a more interactive method of
communications, the ArtMetal Project is doing monthly live interviews
with metalsmiths and other interesting Net citizens.  Since we have
just started doing these interviews, we have not set an established
time for the IRC sessions.  However, we will be announcing the dates
and times of these sessions to the ArtMetal Mail list.

This months interview is with Dean & Liz Miller of Gold Moon Precious
Metal & Gem Works.  The interview includes discussions of their new
marketing venture into  World Wide Web.

ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Features/irc_log/irc95051.txt

ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Features/irc_log/irc95051.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ArtMetal News
-------------

The ArtMetal News section has monthly updates to newsletters and
magazines from other organizations that are participating in the
ArtMetal Project.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/AM_News.html

Hephaistos - "A Visit with Tom Joyce" by Helmut Hillenkamp
----------------------------------------------------------

Tom Joyce set off on an independent path early on and hasn't yet
achieved eveything he has conceived. His career is a work in progress. 
Helmut Hillenkamp, Hephaistos' correspondent in the USA visited Tom
Joyce's workshop and presents a snapshot of Joyce's life in Santa Fe,
New Mexico.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 The ArtMetal Resource To Metalworking
--------------------------------------

To serve those interested in the various aspects of working
artistically with metals, we are bringing you a collection of
metalworking resources. The resources are continuously being updated so
don't be disappointed if what you are looking for has not yet been
added. In fact, if you would like to add information to this resource
contact Roger.W.Schmitt at:

[email-masked]

He will be happy to help you contribute to this extensive metalworking
resource.  

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/AM_res.html

The Joy of Sharpening by Mike de Punte
--------------------------------------

The sharpest possible edge would be only the thickness of one grain of
steel and supported by steel no thicker than the edge.  Unfortunately
this won't work, it wouldn't have the strength to cut anything harder
than butter.  So what Mike de Punte does, is look at all the
compromises we must accept and find the best way to work with whatever
tools you have.

For those of you working with knives or desiring information on heat
treating tools, this is a well documented instructional article that
covers many aspects of tool making. 

Metalworking Suppliers List
---------------------------

Here is a list of over 70 metalworking suppliers that was contributed
by Mark Williams.  This list is extensive in that it covers many of the
supply needs for all metalsmiths.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Request for contributions
-------------------------

One of the main purposes for the ArtMetal Project is to educate.  Here
is your opportunity to pass along some of your metalworking knowledge
to future generations. We are looking for metalsmiths that are willing
to share their tips, techniques, or artwork, and net wizards that know
how the World Wide Web works and are willing to write some html for the
rest of us.

If you are interested drop us a line at:

[email-masked]

Note:  If you want the complete poop on contributing to the archives
send an e-mail message to:

[email-masked]
Put in the Subject: Request ArtMetal Information

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 1994, 1995 ArtMetal

Non-profit, non-commercial publications and individuals may reprint
information if full credit is given. Others please contact us. We don't
guarantee accuracy of articles. Caveat lector. Publication, product,
and company names may be registered trademarks of their companies.

For more information contact:

[email-masked]

good life...
enrique

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 **enrique vega**  e-mail:  [email-masked]

Art Portfolio:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/Gallery/vega_e.html

ArtMetal Home Page: http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/ArtMetal.html
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+