Subject: Sheet Metal Punch/Die Material

From: [email-masked] (Chip Coffin)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 16:00:16 GMT

Question:

What material are stamping dies (and punches) made from?

I read  something in the ASTM series on metal forming which mentioned
that 1010 steel was used.   It seems to me you would want to use 
a very high quality tool steel.  

It is possible, on the other hand, to case harden 1010 to .040 deep
with a very hard surface - is that desirable?

Thanks,

Chip Coffin

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 15 Jul 1995 01:27:26 -0400

The majority of punches and dies are made from high alloy tool steels such
as A-2, D-2, S-4 and others.
The materiel chosen for the die has to with the kind of materiel that is
being punched.
S steels are shock resistant.
A steels are air hardening,
D steels are extremely tough.
You might of mistaken O-1 for 1010.
 O-1 is an oil hardening tool steel used in a lot of custom tools due to
it's ease of machining and heat treatment.
Under each letter designation their are at least 30 different alloys . 
Materiels Scientists spend a lot of time picking the right tool steel for
each machine application.
Hope this helps.
@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@