Subject: Taper attachment.......

From: [email-masked] (JCarducci)
Date: 8 Sep 1995 02:04:10 -0400

I have one of the Grizzly 8x18 (9x 18 in enco measurements) metal lathes
and for my work it has givengood service. I have one question for this
group:
does anyone make a taper attachment which I could use on this machine?
Has anyone made one? This may seem to be a silly question but it seems
to me that taper attachments appear simple enough but are always 
darn expensive. My pop has a large machine with a taper attachment but
I hate to drive up to  his place every time I want to use it. I plan to
get a 
12x36 or 14 x ?? in the not too distant future but.... well what about
that
taper attachment for my little machine. Is it worth it? Hey a 3 1/2" long
taper means a lot to me!

thanx
jc

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1995 18:20:04 GMT

One of the Home Shop Machinist articles (I don't know which one because
I have it in one of the silver books) talks about a nice taper rig
that is made by placing a winding drum on the cross slide, winding
a steel cable (small) around it and leading it off to a anchor bolted some
where up or down the lathe.  The taper generated is a function of the diameter
of the drum, the direction of the taper on whether you take the wire off the
top of bottom of the drum.

This taper attachment was used to cut tapers on boat prop shafts.  May not be
precise enough for your needs.

Best,
 
Mike Rehmus