Subject: Re: guide gor Bike Building

From: [email-masked] (Eric A. Gebhart)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 17:04:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (guest) writes:
|> Hi , 
|> i  am a novice at welding and brazing and was wondering if anyone could
|> recommend a good book on buiding bicycles.  if anyone one has any advice
|> on materials and procedures, i would appreciate it.   i am thinking about
|> working with columbus steel but don't know if the exotic materials l ike 
|> aluminium, titanium, or carbon fiber might be good to try.
|> please e-mail at [email-masked]
|>      thanks

Sorry I can't email,  security issues.  Hope you get this anyway.

For materials and jigs:

Nova Cycles  1-800-274-NOVA.

They sell lugs and steel.  Also frame building jigs although they cost $400
or so.  You could probably build your own much cheaper.  Thats what I did.
There is also a fork jig.  for alignment and rake.

Also:

Reynolds  1-800-272-7042

They sell lugs and steel,  No tools though.
Reynolds prices are better than Nova's colombus.

Tell them you want to get into building frames.

Aluminum is difficult to work with,  It need to be placed in an oven
to temper it.  Klein Pioneered the proceedure as his Thesis project several
years ago.  The problem is not getting a pretzel.

Titanium is not a bad choice but is expensive and hard to find
although Reynolds was going to start carrying some, Not sure if they did.

Carbon fiber isn't bad either but is messy and requires a completely different
set of skills,  Nothing so easy as bolt it in a jig and braze it up.
more like make up some molds, lay it up, and vacuum form it.

Hope this helps

Eric