Subject: Experience with 3 in 1 sheet metal machine?

From: [email-masked] (Chris Helt)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 16:40:31 GMT

I am considering buying one of the 3 in 1 sheet metal machines
(combination shear, press brake, and slip rolls).  I would be interested
in any first hand experiance with one of these.  I am particularity
interested in the ease of set up, quality of work (shears clean and
straight, folds in a straight line, etc), and the quality/reliability of
the machine (is it going to last in light to medium usage)?  I would
also be interested in any comparisons (of the above qualities) of the
30" vs. 40" models.  I have seen these machines advertised in a few
different catalogues, and I suspect they are all manufactured by the
same plant and imported under different "house" labels.

I know they are very light duty (22 gauge steel) and a dedicated
machine (like a PEXTO stomp shear that I lust after) would do a better
job.  However, I do not have the room for dedicated sheet metal
equipment, the jobs I do are mostly small and very sparatic (ie. light
use), I work mostly with light gauge aluminum, and or course the ever
present cost factor.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.  Please feel free to EMail me
or reply on this notes group.

Thank you

Chris Helt                               ICBD Design Center
Bldg. 2U-P3                              Hewlett-Packard Company
[email-masked]                          3404 East Harmony Road
(970) 229-3880                           Ft. Collins, CO  80525-9599
                                         Mail Stop 72

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 10:14:07 -0700

Chris Helt ([email-masked]) wrote:
	(SNIP)
	--Well, I've got one of the Harbor Freight variety and you're 
right: they won't cut through too thick of a material. I have cut 1/16" 
aluminum and do so pretty regularly. Steel, thinner of course. Stainless 
is right out, whatever the thickness. The press brake is kinda funky and 
I don't think I've ever used it, due to the inaccuracies in that kind of 
bending. The slip rolls can be useful and I believe that there are 
grooves to accomodate one or two diameters of wire, which can also be 
useful. If you need to shear alot of stuff that's thin and if you need to 
do a little rolling, get one. for forming, get something better.
-- 
	"Steamboat Ed" Haas	:	Founder of the 
	phone: 	(805) 968-7534	:	SBSMEEBBQ
	FAX:	(805) 562-8928	:	Call about our Newsletter!
		---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1995 01:11:33 GMT

I bought the ENCO 30" when it was on sale for about $300.  It is OK for the 
tasks I have in mind and the floor space left in my garage.

The first thing you have to do is struggle with a 300 pound machine with no
solid handles.  It is designed to be suspended from eye-bolts screwed into 
the two uprights.  Try it any other way and it flexes quite a bit.  More than
I wanted it to experience anyway.  Fortunately, an engine hoist will handle
it.

It also needs a good good stand that will not flex and will provide a stable
platform so that the unit can maintain alignment.  And to hold it up when you
really press on the handle.  You don't want it coming over on you.

Next you have to align the shear, brake and rolls.  Once aligned, mine has
been OK in that department.

If you try to overload the shear, the blade will spring out and kinda bend the 
metal.  I cut thin and soft aluminum and brass.  It is not good for tempered or 
thick metal, even 22 gauge Zincrometal is beyond it at 30".  But it is not
designed for that tasks anyway.

This is kind of a ShopSmith of sheetmetal equipment.  It's better than most
smaller tools but it does take a fair amount of care and adjustment to get
>from  it what you want.

You may find yourself making aux. shoes for the press-brake so that you can get
very sharp folds on thin material.

At the upper limits, it is not a machine for the 98 pound weakling.  It takes
a lot of pressure to bend/shear/roll 30" of material.  I cannot imagine trying
to work 40" of metal when the handle is near shoulder height.  I also worry 
about the effect of torque on the shaft that runs from side-to-side and drives
the rams.  I'd feel better, perhaps, if the unit came with two handles.

You are right, a set of Pexto stuff would be nice!

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Henry)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 05:34:22 GMT

I too purchased one from EMCO when they were on sale for $300.  At that
price I think it was well worth it.  As usual with this type of purchase,
I had to completely disassemble the machine, clean each part, lubricate
them and reassemble the unit in correct alignment.  My experience with
this unit is very much like Mike's.  You definitely need a sturdy stand. 
I welded together one for mine.  

I also found that the female die used in the break was rather rough and
left many scratches on the bent sheet metal.  I was able to eliminate this
problem by placing a thin strip of cotton over the female die.  This also
allows me to put very sharp, clean bends in thin material.  When I have
more time, however, I will regrind the die.

jh