Subject: windchimes

From: [email-masked] (AVATAR W)
Date: 24 May 1995 21:27:38 -0400

Ok.  I'm wanting to build a set of windchimes for my fiancee for her
birthday.  What I'm looking for are some of the deeper toned ones (tenor,
baritone, and bass).  Preferably baritone and bass.  However, while the
wood part is easy, the tuning of it eludes me.  I was wondering if someone
could possibly help me on it.  I'm going to attempt some 5 tube chimes
(would that be the best number?) unless someone has a better suggestion. 
If anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction, i'd
greatly appreciate it. (PS, they need to be built by the middle of June).

Thanks,
                                                                      Grey
Williams

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher McDowell)
Date: 25 May 1995 20:06:21 GMT

AVATAR W ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Ok.  I'm wanting to build a set of windchimes for my fiancee for her
: birthday.  What I'm looking for are some of the deeper toned ones (tenor,

	Any elementary physics text will have the equations for frequency
vs. length of a tube, as far as material properties of the metal for the
chimes, if it's necessary, a simple materials science text would have
everything you need.  Alternatively, you could bring a tape measure to a store
that sells tham and make some quick measurements of tube diameter, length, and
distance from the end of the tube to the suspension point (should be something
like .22L from the end of a tube of length L, the physics text will have this
info.)	The advantage of measuring from the store is that you can pick the
chimes you like the best and recreate them.
	Otherwise, and evening in your local library would be fruitful.
	Good luck!
--

	  ** ***		
	** *** **		Christopher S McDowell
	**** ****		Mfg. Eng. BU
	   \  /			Bmed. Eng RPI
	    ||		
	    ||		Trees.  Cool.
      ______||____

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 06:22:26 GMT

>Williams

A pentone isn't bad, you can get some very pleasing harmonics.
pitch and tone are a function of diameter, wall thickness, and 
length.  If the first two are constant, then the math is simple
and was stated earlier in this group.  If Jim doesn't put it
in the FAQ then shame on him.  Essentially, with diameter and
wall thickness the same, the pitch of a length of pipe is
one octave lower than a length of pipe 1/2 the length of the other.
Pitching a pentone can be done by making each pipe 1/5 shorter
than the last.  If you want deeper pitch, double the diameter
and the wall thickness and you should be able to get 4 octaves
lower.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Hawkes)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 09:23:29 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]
> [email-masked] (Barry Workman) writes:

Snip...
>Essentially, with diameter and
Snip

Actually, the interval between two identical pipes with one half the length of 
the other is TWO octaves, not one.  I made this same mistake with the first 
set of winchimes I made, as I had asumed that (as with guitar strings etc) 
the pitch would be a linear function of the length.  Since the relationship 
involves a square root, the result is a quadrupling of the frequency with 
halving the length.  I don't have the equation with me, but will post it 
later.  If you're not worried about having the chimes tuned to an exact pitch 
(eg concert pitch) and only the relative pitch is important, it is fairly 
simple, but if you need accurate tuning to particular frequencies, you will 
need to know the density of the metal and the "Young's modulus" (a measure of 
elasticity): both of these depend on the type of metal you're going to use.  I 
have values for some metals, so e-mail me if you can't find them.

I usually use 6 tubes - if you tune these to a pentatonic scale you can get 
one octave.

Incidentally, the first set I ever made was for my girlfriend, now I'm making 
a living from windchimes, so you may get more than you bargained for by doing 
this!!

Good luck!

Pete Hawkes