Subject: Cen-Tech Electronic Caliper?

From: [email-masked] (Mark Mehall)
Date: 26 Jul 1995 19:16:43 -0500

I recently purchased a Cen-Tech 12" Electronic Digital Caliper from Harbor 
Freight for $60. Does anyone have pin-outs for the RS-232 connector or know 
where I could get a cable? The tech. support at Harbor Freight was less than 
helpful. I apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup for this posting. Any 
pointers would be deeply appreciated. Please respond by email. Thanks.

-Mark
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 06:43:24 GMT

See if you can get a copy of December '93 Circuit Cellar Ink,
otherwise known as "The Computer Applications Journal".  Good
article on one brand, looks like the others, mostly the
Chinese ones [I'm guessing that's what you've got - I've got a few]

It's a synchronous signal, 1 clock line, 1 data, with a fixed
format message that comes out in response to either caliper motion
or a push of the button [which shorts 2 of the leads].

Have a look at your mitutoyu dealer for the type of cable that 
appears to fit.  Rumor has it that the Chinese version is a 
knockoff of the Mitu. one.

Also, someone in the group [UK] will likely post an offer 
on behalf of another person there, to make a 3-axis interface
which would be great for a lathe/mill DRO.  

Stay tuned/mark

Mark Mehall ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I recently purchased a Cen-Tech 12" Electronic Digital Caliper from Harbor 
: Freight for $60. Does anyone have pin-outs for the RS-232 connector or know 
: where I could get a cable? The tech. support at Harbor Freight was less than 
: helpful. I apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup for this posting. Any 
: pointers would be deeply appreciated. Please respond by email. Thanks.

: -Mark
: [email-masked]