Subject: Diamond tool holder?

From: [email-masked] (Rich S)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 08:45:41 GMT

Does anyone out there have any opinions on the lathe tool holder 
advertised in Home Shop Machinist (july/august 95) magazine called the Diamond 
ToolHolder? It looks pretty nice, and the evaluation done in the magazine 
about two years ago was complimentary, but, since it does cost around $100.00 
I thought I'd ask this group before laying out the money sight unseen. 

					Thanks in advance;

							Rich S

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 16:43:03 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rich S) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Rich S)
>Subject: Diamond tool holder?
>Date: 13 Aug 1995 08:45:41 GMT

>                                                        Rich S

I bought one at the NAMES show in 1994. It was being demoed by its inventor.
The NAMES show occurs on my birthday, so I usually am more generous buying 
things there than normal. Ive used mine a good bit, and its a good tool.

I had hoped to mke it my 'universal' tool. but its biggest problem is that it 
must be set over at about a 15 deg angle to work. I use an Aloris type holder, 
and I have to keep re-setting for things like using a cutoff tool.

Ive also had some trouble keeping the thing sharp, but that is of course the 
fault of the bit I stuck in it. 

It is a bit expensive, for US$99. I usually look at tools and see how I can 
make my own, but this one would be bit nasty, it has a very small lip on the  
holder, which I assume is a forged part.

I guess my bottom line thought is if I knew all I do now when I bought it Id 
find something else to spend money on.

Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger