Subject: LCD welding shields

From: [email-masked] (Jim Janecek)
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 16:17:20 -0600

About 6 months ago I purchased a Jackson #9 welding shield  with a liquid
crystal shutter.

I absolutely love it because when the arc isn't there, the shutter opens
and I can see the work clearly in low light without having to lift my
helmet.

The shutter will cut in if I look at  100watt bulb.

Does anybody else use one and has anyone heard of any problems with them?

-- 
Jim Janecek
Personal Effects inc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 28 May 1995 00:19:20 GMT

>About 6 months ago I purchased a Jackson #9 welding shield  with a liquid
[snip]
>Does anybody else use one and has anyone heard of any problems with them?

I've had a similar one for a little over a year.  They're the greatest
things around since welders were invented.

I haven't had any problems, but the shutter will get a little slow if
you're out in the cold.  Enough to be noticable, but not really a problem.
You're always shielded from UV, of course.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]         
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html

---

From: [email-masked] (PeterWRowe)
Date: 28 May 1995 00:19:54 -0400

I'm intrigued.  Could someone direct me to a good source for these LCD
welding shields? and some idea of their cost?
Thanks

Peter Rowe

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark G. Forbes)
Date: Sat, 27 May 95 23:45:42 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>welding shields? and some idea of their cost?

Your local welding supply store has them. They're several hundred dollars.

-- 
[email-masked]
Mark G. Forbes
"I am the person my parents warned me about."

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 28 May 1995 09:27:33 -0400

I just bought the newest and best auto-darkening LCD welding lens on the
market.
The Hornell Speedglass XL. Absolutely magnificent. A nice big lens and a
solar panel that powers the lens while you weld.
They say the battery will last 2 years.
I sold the Speedglass APC-V lens I've had for the last year and a half to
a freind for $200 and bought the new one.
I got hooked when I borrowed a freinds old speedglass to do some stitch
welds on alum. planks.
 My god what a revelation. It took me all of 3 weeks to get my own.
I do a lot of strange welding for the entertainment industry and I don't
think I could live without my speedglass.
That is the greatest hazard of using them .
You can never go back to a normal hood .
In order to weld alum. without destroying my lungs I just bought the
fresh-air  hood for my XL lens and love it.
 Luckily I didn't have to shell out the $400 for the turbo unit since the
opera shop where I work already has a pair of Racal Fresh-Air hoods with
regular welding lenses. So I borrowed the blower. Hornell sells the Racal
turbo -unit for use on their speedglass Fresh-Air  hoods.
 I can swap the lens between the 2 hoods depending on what I'm welding.
Auto - darkening LCD lenses are also great for teaching people to weld
since they can't catch you with your hood up.

Someone asked about prices for auto-darkening lenses.
Jackson lens       ( single shade , solar panel)                          
                                    $285
Speedglass APC-V ( variable darkness, 9-13,variable sensitivity )         
                $315
Speedglass XL  ( same as above with bigger lens and solar panel )         
             $385
Fresh-air hood for either speedglass lens, without  turbo unit            
                       $160
Racal Turbo unit   with 2 batteries                                       
                                            $400

Hope this helps

@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Winlund)
Date: 28 May 1995 19:34:10 -0700

I have two (of two different makes) and they both fail badly when using 
the new "electronic" converter type TIG welders. Both mfrs did not admit 
to the problem. Our welding supplier has had similar complaints from 
others. If you're doing MIG or stick, they work fine.

Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 28 May 1995 23:20:28 -0400

Problems with converter tigs and LCD lenses?
I am curious as to what brands of LCD lenses you have. 
I have a Speedglass XL and have never had a problem with my Miller
econotig.
So, what gives?
What exactly happened ?

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication

---

From: [email-masked] (Dion Hollenbeck)
Date: 28 May 1995 19:58:58 -0700

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Janecek <[email-masked]> writes:

Jim> About 6 months ago I purchased a Jackson #9 welding shield with a
Jim> liquid crystal shutter.

Jim> has anyone heard of any problems with them?

Yes, the PRICE!!!

-- 
Dion Hollenbeck (619)675-4000x2814     Email: [email-masked]
Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California