Subject: Re: NEED HELP! Casting aluminum parts

From: [email-masked] (Mark G. Forbes)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 95 23:24:52 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>
>
>        I have made somthing that I want to manufacture. It's basically
>a combination lock with 4 "tumblers" (i'm not sure what they are called)
>and is about the size of a roll of coins. There are two main larger parts
[etc...]

This sounds a lot like a cheap bicycle lock, writ large. This is not
exactly *new* technology, sport! Unless you've done something really
clever, I think maybe you should do a little looking around first.

As to your casting question; there are many ways to do this. Aluminum
can be cast in a plaster mold, using the lost-wax process. It can also
be die-cast, if you spend the money to make a mold ($20-100K). Extrusion
is another possible technique, followed by post-machining. 

If you're making a lock, aluminum is not a very good choice. It's soft
and easy to saw through.  Why don't you make it out of cobalt steel? 
You ought to be able to machine the parts easily from that. 

:-) for the sarcasm-impaired.......

-- 
[email-masked]
KC7LZD
Mark G. Forbes
"I am the person my parents warned me about."