Subject: Re: sandblasting resist

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 09:42:35 -0700

Typically, all you need to keep sandblasting from affecting an 
area is something rubbery, i.e. something that will decelerate the 
particles gradually, rather than allowing them to impact suddenly. For 
instance I'm taking a piece of a boiler housing down this week to get 
sandblasted, but I don't want the pins that hold the fire door to be 
eroded away, so I have wrapped them with a couple of turns of 
electrician's tape. Masking tape won't do. For what you are doing, you 
need to apply something, maybe with a brush (??) that has similar 
properties.  I'm a little unclear about the scale of what you're 
attempting, but if it is really small, you'll need another opinion. For 
larger stuff, I'll bet that that vinyl glop for dipping the handles of 
pliers, etc. that they sell at the hardware store would work great. 
-- 
	"Steamboat Ed" Haas	:	Founder of the 
	phone: 	(805) 968-7534	:	SBSMEEBBQ
	FAX:	(805) 562-8928	:	Call about our Newsletter!
		---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---