Subject: grinding, buffing on a wood lathe??

From: [email-masked] (Wayne Cochrane)
Date: 26 Mar 95 06:57:09 -0500

In [(INT) REC.CRAFTS.METALWORKING] on <25 Mar 95  22:15>, Pappa Xmas wrote to
All:

 PX> From: [email-masked] (Pappa Xmas)
 PX> Subject: grinding, buffing on a wood lathe??
 PX> Date: 25 Mar 1995 22:15:30 -0500
 PX> Organization: America Online, Inc. (1-800-827-6364)
 PX> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
 PX> Reply-To: [email-masked] (Pappa Xmas)

 PX> I seems to me that I could mount a grinding wheel to my woodlathe using a
 PX> work arbor...the tool rest would still serve as a tool rest.  Is this
 PX> common practice?  Am I going down a dangerious road?

No its done all the time.  Its used on metal lathes to re-grind the dead & live
ceters as the compound can be used for the correct angle..

CAUTION is in respect to the lathe itself..in particularly the bed ways.  What
I usually do is lightly wet a shop rag in the coolant tank, then place it
across the bed.  This keeps the dust & floppy edges of the rag down as well as
protect the bed.  Also rem. to run spindle speed slow & have the grinding wheel
in reverse direction of lathe spindle or vise-versa. That way chatter will be
kept to a min. they won't what to "climb".  Also don't take a large "cut".
You'll find that a few thousands (extream light cut) will do wonders it also
will show where the high spots are & not damage wheel.