Subject: Re: Where are the metalsmiths?

From: [email-masked] (CONGREVE)
Date: 26 May 1995 11:22:04 -0400

The Sloss Furnaces Museum, in (almost) downtown Birmingham ALA has an
excellent metal arts program, with resident art metalworkers in several
areas.  Workshops are held, usually in affiliation with ABANA, I think. 
Write to the director of the program, Paige Wainwright, at Sloss Museum,
20 N. 32nd St., Birmingham AL 35222.  Or if you can't wait, phone (205) 
324 1911 and tell her Congreve said to call.  They have a "pour" at least
a couple times a month and there's almost always at least one of the
resident art metal workers (mostly ferrous) on site daily.  As a bonus,
the site itself it a marvelously-preserved and 
"interpreted" turn of the century blast furnace, with huge steam powered
[formerly] blowing engines, etc.  

                [email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Lee Michalik)
Date: 26 May 1995 14:16:45 GMT

I am interested in learning more about the craft of metalworking.
    In particular, I'm curious about the hand forming and fabrication of
    items from sheet pewter, Cu, brass.  I would also like to see how a
    small scale foundry is set up.
	Because information and sources are hard to come by, I am planning 
    to visit some of the places where metalcraft is done.  And, that's where
    I need advice.  Where can one go to actually see things being made.  I'm
    referring to hand raising, bending, and joining to produce holloware,
    boxes, etc, and also metal casting.       
        Are there craft schools, museums, tourist attractions where
    demonstrations are given.  Can't plan this trip without destinations.

    Are there summer workshops that would be suitable for a non artist.
   
    Let's hear some suggestions on getting started in metalwork.
    (This group seems mostly interested in machine tools, but
     I'm thinking more in terms of beating, bending, and surface
      decoration.)

                               I'll appreciate any leads,

---

From: [email-masked] (PeterWRowe)
Date: 27 May 1995 02:42:44 -0400

... forgot to mention...

You might check out Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum in
Dearborn Michigan (Detroit area).  The village has a number of crafts
shops, representing traditional working methods, with demonstrations
daily.  They have a blacksmith shop, pottery shop, glass blowing shop,
tinsmith, silversmithing (tends to be jewelry scale), and a variety of
other attractions.  Interesting place.  And of course, there's colonial
Williamsberg...

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 27 May 1995 02:43:33 -0400

Craft schools?
Arrowmont School of the Arts in Gatlinburg, Tennesee has 2 week sessions
durring the summer covering all forms of handcrafts.
They have visiting instructors from all over the country and have a lovely
camous with on site housing and dining. 
I went there many years ago for a Blacksmithing conference and had a great
time.
They are also afiliated with Univ. Tenn. Knoxville so the courses can be
applied to college credit.
Give them a ring.
You can get the number from directory assistance.
Good luck
@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (PeterWRowe)
Date: 27 May 1995 02:36:31 -0400

You might start with local college or University art departments.  Most
major schools have jewelry amd metals programs in their art departments. 
The faculty at these schools aften includes some of the better people to
learn the techniques you mentioned from in the U.S.  For example, Fred
Fenster at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, is one of the best
pewtersmiths in the country, and a wonderful teacher.  He often gives
pewter workshops around the country. (Or used to at any rate.  He might be
getting close to retirement now...)  Most of the better metals programs
teach raising and holloware as a matter of course, usually in the second
year classes or later.  Some schools might allow you to audit such a
class...

---

From: [email-masked] (MikeJ35019)
Date: 28 May 1995 18:45:14 -0400

I don't know where you live, but you might try visiting a local metal
spinning shop. Spinning has been part of my family for three generations,
and I still find watching it done interesting.  Good luck..
mike

---

From: [email-masked] (James Breakell)
Date: 29 May 1995 21:37:51 GMT

Old Newburyport Crafters in Newburyport MA used to be know for their hand 
forged sterling flatware.  I don't know if they are still a working shop, 
but you might inquire there.  Colonial Williamsburg (Williamsburg, VA) 
has some fine silversmiths still working the metal, literally from a cast 
ingot, forged to sheet metal, and finally rendered into anything from a 
ladle to a teapot.  The public demonstrations are pretty simplistic but 
the work is still being done by hand.  They also have a sand casting 
foundry there, demonstrating daily.

I had much the same problems at first.  Found books a great help and 
unrelenting brain picking.

Good Luck!    Jim Breakell
-
  JAMES BREAKELL  [email-masked]