Subject: DanCad3D - CNC programing

From: David Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 May 1995 18:35:08 GMT

Has anyone use Dancad for CNC type work? Has anyone written a utility 
for teaching tool paths?  

What I'd like to do is move the tool through the desired path (via 
keyboard input) and store either control points or paths to a file for 
editing and re-use.  I have DanCam and a CHEAP mill-type device that's 
controlled through the parallel port. The control file for Dancam looks 
straight forward and I assume I can read it into Dancad as well as 
export it.  I'm unsure on how to control the stepper motors through the 
parallel lines.  

TIA

da

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:27:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Brian Springstead) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Brian Springstead)
>Subject: Re: DanCad3D - CNC programing
>Date: 11 May 1995 03:53:48 GMT

>JerryRei ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: Hi David,

>: The author of DANCAD is Dan Hudgins, 466 Diamond St., San Francisco, CA. 
>: He has campanion programs called DANCAM and DANPLOT.  I am talking with
>: him regarding addind CNC to a ShopTask combination lathe/mill.

>: Write to him and have him send you his information sheets.  He is very
>: knowledgeable.  By the way, he does not have access to Internet.

>: Good luck,

>: Jerry

>Ok, Dan doesn't have access to the internet, but is his software DANCAD/DANCAM
>etc available at some ftp site.  I'd like to check it out, I've just been
>reading about the CCNC PCB drill article in Nuts' & Volts and DANCAD/CAM
>was mentioned.

>Thanks
>--
>Brian Springstead | Remember no man is a failure who has friends.
>                  | Thanks for the wings!
> [email-masked]  |                          Clarence

Dan Hudgins isn't on the net  but since I am and wrote those articles perhaps 
I could be of some help.

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Springstead)
Date: 11 May 1995 03:53:48 GMT

: Good luck,

: Jerry

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (JerryRei)
Date: 11 May 1995 08:45:11 -0400

Hi Brian,

I don't know if DANCAD/DANCAM is available on an FTP site.  Seems to me
I've heard that they are but don't know for sure.

Dan Hudgins has shareware disks available for a nominal fee.

Good luck.

Jerry

---

From: [email-masked] (JerryRei)
Date: 10 May 1995 09:09:41 -0400

Hi David,

The author of DANCAD is Dan Hudgins, 466 Diamond St., San Francisco, CA. 
He has campanion programs called DANCAM and DANPLOT.  I am talking with
him regarding addind CNC to a ShopTask combination lathe/mill.

Write to him and have him send you his information sheets.  He is very
knowledgeable.  By the way, he does not have access to Internet.

Good luck,

Jerry

---

From: [email-masked] (Erik Scoffield)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 20:24:03 GMT

DanCad3D is available for ftp from any SimTel mirror.

  For example:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com /.1/simtel/msdos/cad/dancad2a.zip
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com /.1/simtel/msdos/cad/dancad2b.zip

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken Christianson)
Date: 26 May 1995 15:47:34 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Erik Scoffield)
>ftp://ftp.cdrom.com /.1/simtel/msdos/cad/dancad2b.zip

->  There was some mention here earlier about another package called
DanCam.  Does anyone know if that is available as shareware?  Is it a
smooth integration with DanCad or any other products like AutoCad? And
lastly, what type of hardware is required in order to use it - does it
use regular G-codes?
    Appreciate the help.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Erickson)
Date: 26 May 1995 08:47:49 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,
>ftp://ftp.cdrom.com /.1/simtel/msdos/cad/dancad2b.zip

There are a number of other cad programs in both this directory
and in .1/simtel/win3/cad.  Those which include cad in the name
are:

bcad100.zip   dancad2a.zip  microcad.zip  pcdcad33.zip
cad-3d.zip    dancad2b.zip  ncad3d42.zip  tscad20.zip
circad20.zip  gcad110.zip   pcad3d.zip

The descriptions for these say:

bcad100.zip   B  315374  930319  BCAD v1.0 CAD/CAM editor, VGA/286/386/486
cad-3d.zip    B  112148  941205  Simple CAD for designing 3D scene, VGA req.
circad20.zip  B  180039  941104  Easy to use schematic drawing CAD
dancad2a.zip  B  133405  890901  Wire frame/CAD/animation/drawing pgm v2.0 1of2
dancad2b.zip  B  136939  890901  Wire frame/CAD/animation/drawing pgm v2.0 2of2
microcad.zip  B   55744  940323  VGA drawing program (with C source)
ncad3d42.zip  B  150739  910621  NorthCAD-3D v4.2: Create/view/edit 3-D images
pcad3d.zip    B  276284  930222  ProtoCAD 3D Ver 1.1 from Trius: CAD/Rendering
pcdcad33.zip  B  329531  920512  PC-Draft-CAD v3.03: Vector-based CAD program

gcad110.zip   B  212176  940331  GammaCAD: Full featured CAD pgm for Windows3.x
tscad20.zip   B 1154501  940810  CAD/DRAW: Powerful easy to use CAD for Win 3.x

Not a lot of information.  I'm looking for a cad program that will create
files that can be used as input to a CNC controller.  Which of the above
would be good possibilities?  What software should I investigate for
driving stepper motor controllers?

-Dave Erickson