Subject: Re: bandsaw for wood and metal working

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 11 May 1995 16:19:29 GMT

CONGREVE ([email-masked]) wrote:
	(SNIP)
	--As long as you stick to brass and aluminum, an ordinary 
woodworking bandsaw will work fine. Just be sure to switch to a blade 
with the correct number of teeth, i.e. more of them, to prevent binding 
in thin material. Also be aware that when you do use whatever to cut 
metal, although brass and aluminum won't produce sparks, a metal blade 
may sometimes spark on its own if, say, a tooth fails or if an impurity 
is in the metal. Make sure you vacuum up all of the wood chips that may 
be around the saw B4 you use it this way...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-562-8928		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (CONGREVE)
Date: 11 May 1995 01:16:26 -0400

It's my understanding that Delta--and maybe others---make a bandsaw with
adjustable blade speed so it can be used for wood work and also (with much
slower blade speed and a different blade) for metal.  Would appreciate
comments from anyone with experience.  Please reply to: [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (David Erickson)
Date: 12 May 1995 13:11:05 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,
>comments from anyone with experience.  Please reply to: [email-masked].

Delta makes a 14" metal working bandsaw, which looks like the wood
working model, but which has an extra gearbox and step pulleys.  So you
can adjust speed.  If you want variable speed, get the Delta 20" metalworking
bandsaw, which also has a 2-speed gearbox for high and low speed range.  I
have this model, and it is great for both wood and metal.  It also has a
blade welder/grinder/shear for making and repairing your own blades.

-Dave Erickson

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Gellman)
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 01:48:13 GMT

>comments from anyone with experience.  Please reply to: [email-masked].

I use a cheapo import 14" at its top speed for wood, brass and aluminum and plastics
 of all thicknesses with a 6 tpi skiptooth or raker blade. Don't believe the pundits who
 reccomend a fine tooth for aluminum. Steel is a different story, but I rarely have a need
 to bandsaw it.

Jon Gellman
[email-masked]
NYC, NY