Subject: Melting teflon/ was: balancing wheels

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brooks)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 04:58:25 GMT

Somebody asked about meting Teflon for lubricating something.

*Don't* try it!!!!!!

Teflon doesn't melt; it decomposes into some nasty fluorine-bearing compounds
at high temperatures.  (I'm not sure of the temp, but it's about in the
range that a stove can generate, or so I'm told....)

I don't know how teflon is applied to metal surfaces, but it's not a DYI
thing.

Pete Brooks

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven J Orlin)
Date: 22 May 1995 17:22:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>range that a stove can generate, or so I'm told....)

I don't know if a stove could melt teflon.  I have used teflon O-rings to
seal parts in an engine head.

>I don't know how teflon is applied to metal surfaces, but it's not a DYI

I agree

Steve

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 May 1995 00:47:58 GMT

>  range that a stove can generate, or so I'm told....)

I don't know what the exact compounds are, but they are LETHAL in small concentrations.
I bought some teflon powder for lubricating firearms, and there was a strong warning not to 
smoke after using it, unless hands were washed.

Jon Anderson