Subject: Re: flywheel resurfacing

From: PAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 95 15:12:51 -0500

Roger Mitchell <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>I have done flywheels on my mill with a large face mill and a rotary table.
>Remember, if the pressure plate mounts on a surface other than same face 
>the clutch runs on, you also need to remove the same amount of metal from
>that mounting face also, otherwise you will end up with a slippery clutch.
 
I have resurfaced a flywheel for my Ford F150 using a carbide tipped fly cutter
and a rotary table on a conventional Bridgeport type mill. Because the truck
has 2.47 highway gears (one of ford's high miledge ideas, better or not) the
flywheel was glazed an
d burnt in several places. The flycutter "jumped up " over the crystalized
surfaces that were burnt and left the flywheel with humps that allways made the
truck vibrate when you released it. It also made the clutch waer out after
40,000 miles. The moral of
 the story is spend the $40.00 and get it ground!
Paul