Subject: Re: Lathe tool bits in steel

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 1995 17:08:36 GMT

A point of interest:

There are now insert tool bit holders available (with inserts) where the inserts are 
HSS, not Carbide.  Seems the HSS still gives a finer finish compared to Carbide.

---

From: Charles Lamont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 08:58:08 GMT

In article: <[email-masked]>

> HSS, not Carbide.  Seems the HSS still gives a finer finish compared to Carbide.

Where?

Where?

Tell me.

Come on, where?

Tell me.  Tell me quick.  Oh, tellmetellmetellme,  Tell me NOW.   Oh, Purleeeeez.

-- 
Charles

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jul 1995 21:14:13 GMT

>Tell me.  Tell me quick.  Oh, tellmetellmetellme,  Tell me NOW.   Oh, Purleeeeez.

I'll never get used to that English accent, I guess.

Your are not going to believe this but ENCO has them in their current catalog for, 
of all things, slotting and boring tools.  I don't know who carries high quality 
U.K. or U.S. products but I first heard about it about 3 years ago in my Machine 
Technology class at a local Junior College.  The instructor was defending his 
statement that carbide produces an inferior finish to properly ground HSS tools.

As another point of interest, he said that none of the instructors ever polished or 
super finished a HSS toolbit.  The extra work would not produce a better finish and 
they only took the extra time to polish and superfinish HSS for cutting plastics.  
We ground our toolbits on about a 60 grit wheel and they did cut very well.

Best,

Mike Rehmus