Subject: Re: Q?: etching signature

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 15:13:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (LuBuck) writes:
> I would like find a better way to sign my name to my bronze sculptures.  I
> am having trouble wrighting fast enough in heat softened wax and it always
> looks messy.  I would like to sign my pieces by acid etching after they
> are cast.  1) Where is etching acid commonly available?  2) Does anybody
> have any other way of applying their signature to bronze?  THANX -lu
> buckner

You could do electro-chemical etching, it is used by a wide variety of
trades for marking metal objects. The signature would be put on a special
stensil and taped to the piece you want to mark. You attach an electric
lead to the piece another to a felt electrolyte holder (called a hand 
piece). My pressing the hand piece to the stecil area you etch into the
base metal, it can vary from a light frosted etch to a deep black three
dimensional etch (current, AC vs DC, etch time controls this).

Several companies offer these systems, one that I know of is Marking
Methods, Inc. They are in Alhambra CA, (818) 282-8823. I have no connection
with them, my only knowledge comes from searching out ways to mark our
custom knives. Hope this helps.

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *