Subject: Help welding Titanium

From: [email-masked] (Odea56)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 20:40:07 -0400

I am having a debate with one of my salesperson.  He is trying to help a
customer weld CP grade II Titanium plate.  His customer needs to make a
butt weld in 3/4 in plate.  The joint has a V groove.  His customer claims
that he can overheat the work.  This overheating causes a gray coloration.
 The customer also indicated that it is a good weld if you only get a blue
or blue brown color in the weld.  The only real problem would be if you
get the gray coloration.

I am a little rusty but I believe that you will only get the gray problem
when working on beta or alpha/ beta  alloys.  CP grade is an alpha alloy
and should not have this problem.

I also believe that blue or brown color indicates that the gas shielding
was inadequate.  I always thought that any colorization of the weld or
heat affected area indicated that you "blew it."

I would greatly appreciate a little help resolving these questions.  I
have checked AWS manual but they do not refer to anything as anecdotal as
the  color of weld.
  Thank you for your help

[email-masked]