Subject: Pattern Welding, would a press work?

From: [email-masked] (Vance Burns)
Date: 11 May 1995 14:43:03 GMT

It seem like massive pressure could achieve the same results with 
pattern welding as does hammering, power or other. 

I watched a power hammer operator recently, it shook the whole
building, discounting power hammers for my neighborhood. I can
see getting a large, quiet, hydraulic press. 

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (JHrisoulas)
Date: 11 May 1995 17:57:47 -0400

Yes a press will work, but you will not get the nice "irredescence" effect
that hammered pattern welded materials have..

Believe me, I know what I am talking about and they will work if you have
enough force and a fast enough press. I have used hydro's and pneumo's and
the hydro's work better...

any questions please feel free to contact me.

Dr. J.P. Hrisoulas

---

From: [email-masked] (TaiJi3)
Date: 26 May 1995 16:45:43 -0400

Yes, a BIG press could work. Also I know some folks who are using small
rolling mills (water cooled) to weld up billets. Try to get in touch with
Daryl Meier in Carbondale,Ill. He's using a mill setup I believe.  So
what's wrong with a little noise?
[email-masked] (Glen G.)