Subject: Unimat SL Belts, Tailstock ?

From: Walt Black <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1995 16:38:43 GMT

I recently bought a Unimat SL-1000 lathe at an auction for a 
reasonable price.  It had belts on it that slipped badly but there
was also a box with new belts in it.  One of these belts appeared
to be made of neoprene and was what I would expect for a belt for
this lathe.  The other two belts in the box looked like a three
strand rope that had been spliced into an endless belt and dipped
in some kind of rubbery substance.  The rope type belts were what
was on the lathe slipping badly. Then new belts also slipped.  My
question is What kind of belts should be on it? And where can I get
them?

AAlso the lathe did not have the tailstock which I filed to notice
during the excitement of the auctio.  By the time I got back home 
and noticed this it was too late to go back and look for it.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could acquire a tail-
stock for a reasonable price?

Walt Black
[email-masked]
Sherman,IL

---

From: Doug Cutler <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 1995 15:33:01 GMT

I once had some "braided" belts for my Unimat, when I put anysort of load on
them they streached badly and instantly became totally usless.  I still have
them in a junque box somewhere, the last time I had them in my hand the
internal rubber or whatever had just dissintegerated.
-- 
   Douglas Cutler                            [email-masked]
   Systems Administrator                     University of North Carolina
   Project Isis                              Chapel Hill, NC 27514
   http://www.unc.edu/~cutler/               (919)-962-4291

  "In any field, it is easy to see who the pioneers are -- they are
   the ones lying face down with arrows in their backs."  (Anon.)"

---

From: [email-masked] (Reg Barron)
Date: 11 Sep 1995 14:10:27 GMT

>   Walt Black <[email-masked]> writes:
>  reasonable price.  It had belts on it that slipped badly (SNIP)  My
>  them? >  
>  Also the lathe did not have the tailstock (SNIP)
>  Sherman,IL	>  

You might call Campbell Tools and 
ask for Leo 800-878-8562.

or call Blue Ridge Machinery 
and ask for Gene or Tim
800-872-6500

Blue Ridge has what remains of 
parts for the SL.  Sometimes Campbell
has some used parts, as well as belts.
New parts from Blue Ridge (such as a 
tail stock) could be expensive.  They
might have a used one.
"The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt"
published by Village Press, also has an 
article on making a tail stock for this machine.

Reg Barron