Subject: Re: Is this stepper ok for CNC Sherline?

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 07:49:50 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch) writes:

>>I have a Sherline lathe with 80 oz-in steppers. 20 ohm coils, I run them at .5 
>>amp. very adequate power for a Sherline. Id guess the 150 oz-in would be to 
>>big, and the 4.5 amp sure makes the controller more money.

>What RPM are you getting from those motors and are they direct drive or do you 
>have a 2-1 reduction. What drivers are you using?

I havent measured RPM, but the tool feed is just right for cutting. I simply 
played with step rate until it was OK.  

I have motors directly coupled to the shaft- no pulleys or gears.

I use INDEXER.LPT software, and a 3 axis stepper board from American 
Scientific Instruments, 103 Morewood Dr, Smithtown NY 11781. 516/361-9499. 

I havent done any real usefull work with this, just making ships to prove it 
works. The real issue is decent software to generate the tool path. I tried 
DANCAM and it was so primitive I gave up.

Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (EDS689)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 23:23:50 -0400

That's more than enough stepper for a Sherline!!  AMSI is Smithtown, NY
makes both Chopper Drives and Microstepping Drives, and they are
affordable($175).  They put out only 2.5 amps/phase, but they claim that
because their drive is current controlled, you can drive larger motors
with good results.  They are @ 516-361-9499.

Eric Schwartz [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (BILLG63475)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 02:15:11 -0400

I also use 80 ozin motors on a sherline motors are 3.8 amp / phase and I
run them on 6 amp bipolar choppers set at 2 amps. I can run as fast a 6500
pps, but it is pretty hard on the mill! I normally run at 3500 pps max
rapid rate.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Lewis Cobb External)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 22:48:27 GMT

Hi and thanks for reading this - I have a chance to buy a few stepper 
motors and am wondering if they would be suitable for a Sherline lathe 
CNC conversion project.  I don't own either at the moment but I expect 
that I will get a Sherline lathe before the end of the year and I'd want 
to CNC control it.

The motors are Slo-Syn (Superior Electric ) Model M063-FD09
The specs say 2.25V 4.6 A per phase and 200 steps/rev 150 oz-in torque

I am sure the torque is enough but not having a Sherline I am not sure if
they are too heavy for mounting on the machine - the mechanical specs are
as follows:

NEMA 23 Frame - 2 3/4 pounds weight, 2.22" inch square flange, and the motor
housing is 4 inches long by 2.625" diameter I think.

As well, if this is suitable, the 4.6A per phase certainly scraps the
motor driver board that I have seen the PCB board for on the Ualberta 
ftp site - it's only 1 amp per phase.  Is there a circuit or some 
guidelines around anywhere where I might get a start on a circuit for 
this motor?  I will be using Dancam once the whole mess is built...

Thanks very much for any help people can provide.

Lewis
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Demetz)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 02:15:31 GMT

My kit has 55 oz-in motors with an 80 oz-in on the Z axis. They are
5v@1a
will the 80 oz is 6V. He (Digital Microsystems) is now using 125 Oz-in
on Z and lathe Y. The latest Dancam shareware includes a driver board
layout and he has more in his full package. For 1A or less you can use
Sprauge ULN ICs.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:39:50 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
>Subject: Re: Is this stepper ok for CNC Sherline?
>Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:53:45 -0700

Ron Ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:39:50 LOCAL

Ron Ginger