Subject: Re: Black Stainless Steel? (X-post)

From: [email-masked] (Timothy Manning)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 18:25:41 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (ErnieLeim) 
writes:
> The only way I know to make stainless steel black is to electro plate 
> it with Teflon. This is done by many gunsmiths so you can have a 
> Stanless steel gun that isn't shiny silver. It is very durable but 
> isn't shiny black. 
> There are several metals that can be made shiny black. 
> Brass and silver can both be chemically coated to produce a durable 
> black shiny finish , but Niobium is the best . 

What about those black (or characoal) plumbing fixtures that look like black 
chrome?  Is that an electrocoated coating on brass, a laquer coated dye, or 
what?  Whatever it is, it looks great.  But, I don't know about durability.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Feist)
Date: 14 Jul 1995 00:28:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Peter Brooks) wrote:

> [email-masked] (Sam the Man) /  5:43 pm  Jul 10, 1995 /
> >Is there such thing as black stainless steel?
> 

Hi;

  There is a process to blue stainless, but i'm afraid that I don't know
what the chemical process is. You could call Brownell's (gunsmithing
supply) at 515-623-5401 and ask, they sell the equipment and have first
rate tech people.
		Another process to consider is Titanium Carbo-Nitride (TiCN). TiCN is a
black coating simillar to the gold colored TiN (titanium Nitride) found on
some drill bits and other cutting tools. I had a brochure from a company
that specialized in decorative coatings of TiN and TiCN for Knives and
guns, but its gotten away from me. Try looking for ads in Knives or Blade
magazine.
   Good Luck.

Paul Feist
Paladin Gun Repair
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David Brooks)
Date: 14 Jul 1995 14:54:47 +0800

[email-masked] (ErnieLeim) writes:

>The only way I know to make stainless steel black is to electro plate it
>with Teflon. 

Am I missing something here? Teflon is an insulator, so how do you 
electro-plate it?

-- 
David R. Brooks <[email-masked]>    Tel/fax. +61 9 434 4280
"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force. 
Like fire, a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - G. Washington