Subject: Re: Metabo Power Tools?

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 00:05:34 -0400

Metabo is a german company that makes the best power tools I've ever seen.
They are currently also making a 4-1/2 in. rt.angle grinder for Porter -
Cable, and several tools for others.
I'm not surprised that people haven't heard of them since they don't sell
to retail outlets. To find a dealer, check with local industrial and
contractor suppliers.
They market mainly to industrial users and factories.

I should point out that the group at the top of my list are all pretty
close.
Special points go to Porter cable who seem to be taking a very serious and
effective attitude towards new tool design.
I also think that Black and decker Industrial has done an outstanding job
with their new line of cordless tools ( I own the 14.4 V drill driver and
love it.)
I also forgot to mention Dewalt.
Dewalt is actually a division of Black and Decker, so they use the same
battery packs.
Dewalt is designed to be used by serious homeowners and economy minded
contractors. They are pretty good and have taken the place of B + D's
defunct Professional line. As to the other B+D lines, their series of
black cheapo tools are unmitigated crap, suitable for causing house-fires
only. Their Quantum line is one step up, and are okay if you like
disposable tools.
They also bought Elu, which used to be made in Switzerland, and had a
pretty high reputation with cabinet makers. I'm not sure how much of the
Elu line still exists, but they seem to be well made , but a little
pricey.

As you might notice I take tools pretty seriously. My freinds have
suggested I get My own PBS show all about tools.
 The first episode would be a tour of The New Yankee Worksop to answer the
perenial question,
 " Just how many routers does Norm have anyway ? " ( seven last time I
counted)
I just love tools and am always happy to help someone find that perfect
tool that fits them and does the job just as they like.
Good luck and happy hunting.

@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (CAPE FORGE)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 08:21:20 -0400

Metabo is German. I've had several of their tools for years.  While they
are very good I think the price is a bit stiff.. Over the years my
expierience has been Porter Cable is cheaper and about a good.
Regards,
Mike de Punte
Cape Forge

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy Manning)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 09:49:33 -0600

Ernie Leimkuhler recently listed many power tool brands by quality level.  At 
the top was Metabo which I'm not familiar with.  Who sells Metabo?  What do 
they make?

Tim Manning
College Station, TX