Subject: Re: DRO Caliper

From: [email-masked] (Eugene Martin)
Date: 28 May 1995 02:45:46 GMT

I'm the one that wrote the article.  There are still calipers available 
cheap.  If  you just want the head for a long scale, buy a cheap one.  If 
you want it for a 6" caliper, buy the higher priced unit, much smoother.  
I saw an ad in latest HSM for Eastern Tool & Supply and they have ones 
for $43.  The accuracy is based on the etched scale, not the electronics. 
 Glad to see there is still some interest in what I worked up.  Has 
anyone managed to hook up to the serial port on the heads and either just 
display the readings on a PC, or actually use it as the sensor for a CNC 
retrofit? 
-
  EUGENE MARTIN  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Fraser)
Date: 28 May 1995 07:29:09 GMT

I've been sniffing around for someone who's already part way up the 
learning curve on interfacing with a micro.....  I've got another 22 
hobbies and sub-hobbies that come first....

An issue of Circuit Cellar Ink explained the electrical interface a 
year or so ago, but nobody seems to yet have published anything that
would handle 3 axis input to a pc.....

Any ideas ? /Mark

Eugene Martin ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm the one that wrote the article.  There are still calipers available 
: cheap.  If  you just want the head for a long scale, buy a cheap one.  If 
: you want it for a 6" caliper, buy the higher priced unit, much smoother.  
: I saw an ad in latest HSM for Eastern Tool & Supply and they have ones 
: for $43.  The accuracy is based on the etched scale, not the electronics. 
:  Glad to see there is still some interest in what I worked up.  Has 
: anyone managed to hook up to the serial port on the heads and either just 
: display the readings on a PC, or actually use it as the sensor for a CNC 
: retrofit? 
: -
:   EUGENE MARTIN  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch)
Date: Sun, 28 May 1995 13:48:43 GMT

>display the readings on a PC, or actually use it as the sensor for a CNC 

 I wrote several articles on low cost CNC. I have been looking for a low cost 
DRO to put a feedback system onto to my system. Could you send me  some more 
information. Especially what the electronics are on the head.

---

From: [email-masked] (Eugene Martin)
Date: 29 May 1995 16:57:28 GMT

Does anyone know what the circuit is in the digital calipers?  I have 
been promised a paper from Fred Foweler (Caliper Manufacturer) for 
several years, but has never been sent.  If anyone knows, please post a 
note.
-
  EUGENE MARTIN  [email-masked]