Subject: Soldering/ Brazing Titanium?

From: [email-masked] (Paul Feist)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 19:50:36 GMT

Hi:

	Thanks to those who responded to my previous post about speeds/feeds for
machining Titanium.

	Now for my next question;
	Does anyone know if (and how) it would be practical to solder/ braze
Titanium to steel? What types of solder and flux?  would it be practical in
a small shop with no access to a vacuum furnace or such? What kind of
strenght of bond compared to steel to steel?

  Also, check out Robin Materials web page at http://www.rmat.com.  They
have a wealth of "the weird stuff". Including dozens of Titanium alloys and
Nickel alloys, plus things like Tungsten-Rhenium (which, last I checked,
was used in Nuclear Weapons). And they don't mind shipping small quantities
for us less-than-a-truckload customers.  Can't really say about their
prices because Its hard to compare the two feet I bought with the 20' bar
(FOB only) other places wanted to sell me :).

  Appreciate any info in advance!

Paul Feist
Paladin Gun Repair
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 05:11:49 GMT

Paul Feist ([email-masked]) wrote:

: 	Does anyone know if (and how) it would be practical to solder/ braze
: Titanium to steel? What types of solder and flux?  would it be practical in
: a small shop with no access to a vacuum furnace or such? What kind of
: strenght of bond compared to steel to steel?

I would be extremely careful getting Titanium too hot.  Welding is definitely
TOO HOT!  You need to use a tig welding torch, while someone follows the
weld from the other side with an empty torch handle flowing shield gas.
After the weld segment is done, hold both torches in place while gas 
continues to flow for at least 10-20 Seconds.  Titanium doesn't conduct heat
well, so it should keep the hot spot small.  Keep fire extinguishing sand
handy, as well as lots of insulated gloves.  A 10 Lb foam extinguisher
(class D) would be a good idea, too.  NEVER, under any circumstances, put
water on a metal fire!!!!!  It will cause an explosion (either steam, 
hydrogen, or both)!  Electron-beam welding in vacuum is the best method for
such welding, of course, but that takes special equipment to a new meaning!
Shield gas should probably be pure Argon for best results.