Subject: Aluminum finishing on Lathe?

From: [email-masked] (Steven Marcotte)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 18:17:51 -0700

I'm trying to turn some automotive parts made out of cast aluminum on a 
Monarch Lathe.

I need a mirror like finish.  

Any good ideas about tooling??

I have seen a fixture designed to do the work that claims to come with a 
diamond cutting bit and a mister to achieve that desired finish.  Anyone 
heard of such a thing and where would you get the bit??

Thanks,
Steve Marcotte

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 13:10:10 GMT

>Any good ideas about tooling??

The latest issue of Strictly IC (which has a picture of a gorgeous 
Bentley BR2 in stainless steel on the cover) has an article on
finishing metal.  A summary of the article:  a lot of work.

If there's enough interest, I'll post a summary of the major points.

-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, Michigan  USA]
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Jones)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:10:41 +0800

murr rhame ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Steven Marcotte) writes:

: >I'm trying to turn some automotive parts made out of cast aluminum on a 
: >Monarch Lathe.

: >I need a mirror like finish.  

: >Any good ideas about tooling??

at the risk of seeming crude.......
I get polished finishes by using a nicely finished tool in hss, using
liberal amounts of mineral turpentine as the cutting fluid.
(on aluminium using turps gets a better finish ) pay attention to the 
top rake when grinding the tool, aluminium needs a fair amount.
I dont know whether "Brasso" is marketted in the usa but it polishes 
aluminium to a very high polish.....after making everything nearby black.
I am only using the technique for small spinner nuts on model aircraft
but the polish lasts for years.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Howard Jones, ([email-masked])                      _--_|\
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Jones)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:10:41 +0800