Subject: Re: MIG Welding Aluminum

From: [email-masked] (Odea56)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 20:35:35 -0400

>I have a Millermatic 150 MIG welder.  I have a gas bottle with a gas
mixture 
>of 75% Argon and 25% CO2.  I have the following question:
.
>Can the axial spray metal transfer process in MIG welding be used to weld

>Aluminum using a 75% Argon/25% CO2 shielding gas, i.e., does it require
>100% 
>Argon?

>I would appreciate any help I can get in this matter.

>Thanks
>[email-masked]

Forget spray transfere with 150 amps particularily with Aluminum. 

 To do either short arc or spray arc transfere with Aluminum you need to
use pure Argon, Argon Helium mix or pure Helium.  Most applications pure
Agron is easiest to use. 

 The MM150 is a very difficult machine to run Aluminum with.  Make sure
your gun is straight, no kinks.  Try to use a stiffer wire like 5356. 
Pray to welding gods.  AND good Luck   PS you will be running short arc.

[email-masked]