Subject: Re: Jet engine construction

From: [email-masked] (General Delivery)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 20:32:05 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (dave) writes:

>I have been told that a few people on this news group are building small jet engines,if so please could
>they tell me what type,approxiamte dimensions and weight,also thrust output.

>Thanks for your time.

>Dave

I am about to start construction of a Schrekling (spelling may be wrong - 
I don't have the plans in front of me) gas turbine.  This engine was
designed for use in RC models.  It is a simple design with one compressor 
impeller and one compressor turbine.  It burns liquid fuel and is about 
4 inches in diameter and 6 inches long.  Thrust is around 8 - 10 lbs.
There is some machining requiring a lathe and a grinder.  The compressor 
is made out of plywood wrapped in carbon fibres.  An interesting engine.

The plans are from a book by Schrekling and available from Traplet 
Publications in the UK.

If anyone has actually started building one, I would like to hear your
experiences.

Paul Picton

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Drake)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 06:08:08 GMT

>they tell me what type,approxiamte dimensions and weight,also thrust output.

While I'm also interested in hearing what people are building (!) Dave, you 
should dig up a copy of the UK based "Jet International" an RC model mag. 
["Radio Control Jet International Magazine", Traplet House, Severn Drive, 
Upton-on-Severn, Worcs WR8 0JL England 0684 594505(ph) ...86(fx)]

The April-May 95 issue lists specs for a bundle of commercial jets. 
eg - AMT's Mk3 claim's 100N @100K rpm with pr of 3, and a mf of 280gr/sec 
@675C. It's 1.2kg & about a foot long.

Conrad Drake

--
 "I have a Spagthorpe decal on my Ninja. It's obviously not a Spagthorpe
 and I've never yet run into any Spagthorpe owners who thought it was
 inappropriate."     Lissa Shoun, [email-masked]

Email: [email-masked]
-My email is a bit sad. Pls. re-tx if you think you're not getting through.
Snail: Jtec Perth R&D Centre, Locked Bag No.6, West Perth 6872, Australia.
Numb's:(ph)+61 9 262 2100 (fx)+61 9 321 5216 (dod) 0604 (sohc)