Subject: Grinding vs. sanding steel plate

From: [email-masked] (Grego)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 15:13:10 -0800

I'm taking a welding course and frequently have to grind off rust from the
mild steel plate so the E7018 will produce a smooth weld. The shop has six
pedistal grinders, but the wheels on all but one have glazed over and
perform poorly. naturally everybody lines up behind the good grinder.

This is a very slow process, and I was wondering if there is any way to
speed up the process. Perhaps if I got out my belt sander and put on an
appropriate belt it would speed things up. My belt sander is in storage in
a hard to get to location, so any comments from experienced welders would
be appreciated.

-- 

*********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Boyd)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 95 06:28:31 GMT

>a hard to get to location, so any comments from experienced welders would

bench grinding your work is hard, a more portable hand grinder
in the 9" or 7 1/2" disk, my preferance is the b&K wildcat
very strudy and commerical quality...

it will accept grinding disk and sanding disk with rubber backup
pad, note some grinders are called sanders, get a grinder
the sanders are have less horse power and are rated at less amps

clamp work before grinding, never use the edge of grinding disk
try to keep disk flat with surface..it will produce a milled like
cut and be more neat in appearance...

grinding is a craft like welding....never gouge your work...
never remove more then needed....

use sanding disk to finish work after most of removal is done with
grinding disk...   sanding disk come in 30 to 400 grit  course to fine

your work will look better  if only smallest area is
distrubed....by grinding, rust removal use wire brush...or light
sanding...

being in business I still have to show my help how to grind
correctly, it should look like it was not ground , and flat like
the material around the ground area not scared and rough
and deeper then the parent material...sometimes less it better

good luck...wear safety glasses or flip up shield...
Alan ....welder since 1969...mig,tig,stick, unlimited certifed

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 03:27:50 -0400

Get a 4-1/2 in. right angle grinder. with a flapper style sanding disc.
You can get a skill grinder for between $60 and $80. The discs cost about
$5 a piece, but they last a while. They work beautifully and leave a much
better finish. If you don't mind grinder marks then just use a regular
grinding wheel on it.
Trust me if you are going to take welding seriously , you will need one
eventually.
I own 7 - 4-1/2 in. grinders, 1 - 5 in. and 1 - 9 in. The new porter-cable
5 in. is the best on the market for the price.
Best of luck and happy welding.
@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 03:39:00 -0400

Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication