Subject: Re: DRO's - Homebuilt?

From: [email-masked] (Michael J. Edelman)
Date: 23 May 1995 11:41:50 GMT

Bill Mag ([email-masked]) wrote:
: The article about DRO's was in Projects In Metals, August 1993.

: The article describes how to to machine the scale out of Printed Circuit
: Board material using a CNC Mill and use the head from a 6" DRO scale.  The
: article said you could buy a 6" DRO scale from ENCO for $58.  I was
: already to start until I pulled out my ENCO catalog and found out these
: DRO's around $120 or so.  The chinese scales for $50 bucks might work.

: Anyway it is a good article and answers a lot of questions on different
: approaches to build your own DRO.

I would think it would be easier to make a scale by etching PCB material. Make
the negative on a laser printer on clear acetate and use photoisensitive 
PCB material. 

--mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Mag)
Date: 23 May 1995 01:09:28 -0400

The article about DRO's was in Projects In Metals, August 1993.

The article describes how to to machine the scale out of Printed Circuit
Board material using a CNC Mill and use the head from a 6" DRO scale.  The
article said you could buy a 6" DRO scale from ENCO for $58.  I was
already to start until I pulled out my ENCO catalog and found out these
DRO's around $120 or so.  The chinese scales for $50 bucks might work.

Anyway it is a good article and answers a lot of questions on different
approaches to build your own DRO.

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Wiley)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 03:32:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ron Ginger) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ron Thompson) writes:
>>
>>Home Shop Machinist had an article on making long scales to use on the cheap 
>
>Are you sure this was in HSM? I have all the issues and have never seen that. 
>I am very interested- can you get an accurate date?
>

Actually, it was in Projects In Metal, the sister publication. But it was
in the last couple of years. If you want to know which edition, email me
and I'll dig it out. 

Village Press are also starting a new publication on rifles. Pity they
don't start one on model firearms of all sorts (medieval through to modern
artillery would be nice).

Peter Wiley

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Wiley)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 03:32:19 GMT

Peter Wiley