Subject: Re: Pop Bottle Threads

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 01:02:23 GMT

>Does anyone have the proper thread dimensions for a 2 liter pop bottle?
In a recent Projects in Metal >there was a letter regarding this. He said
the tpi was 11.5. I don't think this is correct. They seem >more like 8
tpi. Anyone work in a bottling plant? Thanx

This isn't an answer either, but I found that you can adapt a 2 liter 
bottle to pipe threads by reaming out the neck slightly and forcing in a 
PVC 1/2" to 3/4" bushing with standard plastic pipe cement.  Holds like 
the hinges of hell.  You can then get an adapter to go from the female 
1/2" PVC to standard pipe threads. 

I was experimenting with these bottles as potential pressure tanks and
have found that they will handle at least 150 pounds per square inch of
compressed air. 
                                     M Kinsler

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 05:57:43 GMT

[email-masked] writes:

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Barry Workman) writes:
>>From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
>>Subject: Re: Pop Bottle Threads
>>Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 05:51:47 GMT

>>[email-masked] (Mark Kinsler ) writes:
>                                    

>>I have a friend who uses 2 liter bottles for brewing beer.  He says
>>that they are much safer and stronger than the champaign bottles that
>>he and I used to use.  I've had many a bottle of beer blow over the
>>years but he has never had a plastic soda bottle blow.
>>-- 
>>    - Barry Workman 

>The only problem with using PET bottles for beer is that the PET bottle is 
>more permeable to O2 than glass so the beer  won't last as long.

>Marc Davis
>Marc Davis

Uh, the beer doesn't last that long. *hic* :-)
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Norman Billingham)
Date: 23 May 1995 21:55:51 GMT

: >>I have a friend who uses 2 liter bottles for brewing beer.  He says
: >>that they are much safer and stronger than the champaign bottles that
: >>he and I used to use.  I've had many a bottle of beer blow over the
: >>years but he has never had a plastic soda bottle blow.
: >>-- 
: >>    - Barry Workman 

: >The only problem with using PET bottles for beer is that the PET bottle is 
: >more permeable to O2 than glass so the beer  won't last as long.

PET soda bottles (the clear ones) are indeed more permeable.  In the UK,
beer is sold in brown PET bottles.  these have a very thin outer coating
of poly(vinylidene fluoride), which makes them much less O2 permeable.

Norman Billingham
Sussex University
UK