Subject: Re: Cleaning metal coins?

From: [email-masked] (Randy Gordon-Gilmore)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 20:30:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...

>Try  Coke Cola - I jest not My tenant an old blacksmith uses Coke on old aust
>copper pennies does a great job

Yes; Coca Cola(tm) works is due to its phosphoric acid content.  I have seen 
Coke(tm) mentioned as an emergency soldering flux for the same reason.  Though 
I don't know what effect the carmelizing sugar would have on the solder 
joint...

Randy

P.S. Noone has mentioned it yet, but the collector's value of an old coin is 
*destroyed* if any cleaning/polishing/plating is done to it.  Of course, for 
the metal-detector-in-the-city-park crowd, this point is moot.
-- 
     ,------____________  ________________  ____________________
    // =    =   === ==  || ==     == == = || == == == = =   == =|
   /-O==O--------------o==o--------------o==o--------------o==o-'
         CB&Q 9900 "Pioneer Zephyr" -- The First and Finest

---

From: [email-masked] (WRitt)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 19:24:55 -0400

Hi Randy: May I also add that we used to use Coke to remove rusted bolts.
If they were badly rusted, and we soaked them too long, in the morning
they were gone.

Look for an E-mail  on my latest with photo-etch.

TTYL
Bill Rittner