Subject: restoring real steam locomotives?

From: [email-masked] (Bob Powell)
Date: 7 Jun 1995 04:40:37 GMT

According to Sunday's local paper, the Snoqualamie WA historical
society is planning to "thin" their collection of a dozen or so
unrestored steam engines that have been sitting neglected and untouched
for 20+ years.  Most of the collection are small geared locomotives,
including several Shays.

Wondering if someone familiar with locomotive restoration can comment
on the practicality, time and cost involved, and the knowledge
required, in such a restoration project.  Also in the value of an
unrestored Shay or similar engine.  How many of these exist today?  In
operable condition?  Finally what is involved in moving a 30 ton engine
via a highway.

My wife already rolls her eyes at the thought of a new backyard
project, even if it would keep me out of trouble for 20 years.

Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Fairbairn)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 1995 10:26:01 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bob

> for 20+ years.  Most of the collection are small geared locomotives,

"Real" locomotives are a lot of fun.  My Brother-in-law works in the steam
department at IRM in Union Il.  They have a lot of big iron and a shop that
makes me drool.  The problems with big locos go the gamut.  There is
everything from the "snow" wrappings which is very dangerous. Then there is
the FRA who wants to regulate everything.  I would not want to take it on
by myself.  

Also can you get me some address and phone information.  I will pass the
information along to IRM.  They may be interested in some more toys.  They
just moved 3905 from Chicago to Union, all 600,000 pounds of it, what a
sight!

-- 
Bob Fairbairn
[email-masked]
Standard disclaimers apply here.