Subject: Opinions on RYOBI products

From: Jim Waggener <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jul 1995 04:54:35 GMT

I'm in the market for a high quality scroll saw that will cut 8-24 gauge 
non-ferrous metals. I saw a RYOBI scroll saw that had variable speed, 16" 
throat and would take pinned or plain blades.  Does anyone have 
experience with this saw or RYOBI products in general? The saw sells for 
$189.00

Jim Waggener

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 01:48:26 -0400

Ryobi are fine if you don't plan on using the tool much.
They tend to last about 1 year  before the cases loosen up to the point
where they vibrate like crazy.
In order of quality from best to worst:   ( * = good parts and service)

Metabo
Hitachi
Powermatic *
Hilti
Black and Decker Industrial *
Porter-Cable *
Bosch *
Milwaukee *
Makita *
Skil *
AEG /Panasonic
Jet
Ryobi
Chicago Tools
Grizzly
Delta *

That's all the ones you are likely to run into.
These opinions are based on 20 years of experience in the use,
maintanence, and repair of power tools.
In general I don't recommend Ryobi to anybody who uses tool in a seriuos
way.
Another problem with ryobi is the horrid customer support.
 Getting repair parts is akin to applying primal dental techniques on a
passing Rhino.
@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: Andrew Mawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 22:28:18 GMT

> experience with this saw or RYOBI products in general? The saw sells for 

Hi,

I had a Ryobi 10"  over-arm saw table  complete with moulding head
(come to think of it I still have the head if anyone wants to make an offer)
It gave excellent service for about 8 years while I rebuilt my house.  Had to
do some VERY heavy work.

All that went wrong in that period was a toothed drive belt that needed 
renewing. Only sold it as I needed space in my workshop for a cylindrical
grinder

NB This saw was a carbon copy of one put out by Sears
-- 
Andrew Mawson ------> [email-masked]
Bromley, Kent. England 0181-466-5582

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 27 Jul 95 09:47:25 MDT

In article <[email-masked]>, Jim Waggener <[email-masked]> writes:
|>I'm in the market for a high quality scroll saw that will cut 8-24 gauge 
|>non-ferrous metals. I saw a RYOBI scroll saw that had variable speed, 16" 
|>throat and would take pinned or plain blades.  Does anyone have 
|>experience with this saw or RYOBI products in general? The saw sells for 
|>$189.00

Maybe not of much help, but early last year there was a brief discussion
of Ryobi palm sanders, and apparently they were terrible due to extreme
vibration.  But nothing was mentioned about Ryobi in general.  You might
ask the same question on rec.woodworking for more opinions, since Ryobi
makes tools for woodworkers as well.