Subject: Port-O-Brake - info needed

From: [email-masked] (Jens)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 00:10:49 GMT

Hi all,
I just aquired a 'Port-O-Brake Super II' model S-14-10.
This unit is made by Tapco products. I have several questions if
anyone is familiar with these brakes.
1)  What capacity in mild steel does this unit have
2) Is this unit considered a good quality brake, average, or junk?
3) What would something like it be worth new? (to compare against the
auction price I paid)
4) Is Tapco Products still in buisiness ?
5) There are some basic maintenance instructions on the brake itself
but they are no longer readable - anybody know what they say?
6) would you lubricate between the aluminum wedges and the C Clamp
fitting and if so, what kind of lubricant would you use?
(this is the section that clamps the sheet metal prior to bending and
it is a sliding aluminum to aluminum contact)

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jens

PS ... I understand that a Lye solution is used to clean aluminum
parts (to remove oxides) ... where does one normally find Lye ?