Subject: Re: Powder coating

From: [email-masked] (Peter Drumm)
Date: 8 Aug 1995 23:47:43 GMT

In message <[email-masked]> - [email-masked] (Jens) writes:

:>
:>Does anyone know what is involved in powder coating steel? 
:>As far as I know, powder coat is one of the most durable finishes
:>available ... is this correct?
:>My knowledge is very limited here, all I know is that the paint
:>(epoxy?) powder is applied electrostatically by spray or dip and the
:>entire thing is then baked for a while. I would be interested to know
:>what equipment is involved, cost and sources of equipment and powder
:>materials etc. I would also like to find out more about preparation of
:>steel prior to caoting as well as the baking temp and duration.
:>Is it feasible to do this at home with a small investment for
:>materials for making an oven (gas fired) and an electrostatic spray
:>gun?
:>So many questions .....so little money .....

	Try to find someone in your area who does it. Usually they can sneak in 
small items with other jobs of the same color, and give you a break on the 
cost. A friend of mine has done this many times, on things ranging from a 
22' long driveshaft balancer, to a 90' tall windmill(disassembled, of 
course). The balancer cost him $60 to have done about 4 years ago, and it 
still looks like the day he got it back. 

[email-masked]
[email-masked]