Subject: Re: using tapers

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 06:55:27 GMT

Mac <[email-masked]> writes:

>Ok, since I've not seen any followups on my previous post 
>I'll assume it got lost and try again...apologies if this 
>is a duplicate.

>I seem to be having a problem getting a Jacobs cuck mounted 
>on a J33 taper spindle and the other end of the spindle 
>with a morris taper to be consistantly true.

>I've carefully cleaned the tapers. etc.

>How much of tap should be required to seat the chuck and 
>should the morris taper be seated before or after 
>tightening the drawbar. For that matter how tight does the 
>drawbar need to be?

>TIA

The drawbar only needs to be tight enough to seat and hold the
MT in place.  As far as concentricity on the #33 JT and the
Jacobs chuck, have you checked the arbor itself for trueness?
Is the arbor also a Jacobs part or an off-shore piece?
My china chuck seated very well simply by installing the chuck
in the lathe on the arbor, chucking up a piece of drill rod, and
cranking it in against an aluminium block against the faceplate.
I've not spun the chuck ever.  
-- 
    - Barry Workman