Subject: Tender Tank Questions

From: [email-masked] (JOHN JOHNSON)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 15:52:50 GMT

I have some questions about the fabrication of the tender water tank on my live
steam locomotive.  I have thought about making it out of brass,  instead of
steel as it is on the prototype.  I think that brass would be easy to solder,
keep water tight, and not have the potential rust problem.   The problem that I
have now is how do I re-engineer the tank to work in scale.

First let me describe the project.  It is a 7 1/2 gauge model of  Western
Maryland Railway #6, a three truck Shay.  The water tank will measure 25.5
long, 15.6 wide, and 7 high on the model.  It rides above the third truck.  I
plan to make a seat cushion to set on the flat top of the water tank for me to
ride the locomotive.  

The prototype used 3/16 and 1/4 steel plate and 3/8 thick 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 angle
iron to fabricate the tank.  I would think that if I just scaled down these
thickness, that they would be too thin to hold my weight (165 lbs.) and could
easily dent.  How does one go about re-engineering such a project to work at
scale?  Would say 1/6 brass plate be strong enough, or should I go thicker? 
There is a series of internal baffles which I could make thicker to carry more
weight.  The prototype is riveted together.  I thought I could use escunsion
pins to represent the rivets and solder the entire tank together.  

I would be very interested in any help those in rec.crafts.metalworking would
be able to offer on these questions.  

Thank you.

John D.L. Johnson
California State University, Chico
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Lamont)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 06:47:16 +0000

I have checked up in Martin Evans' book "Manual of Model Steam 
Locomotive Construction" and his "Highlander" design in Model 
Engineer (1967) to see what he says about ride-on tenders of this sort 
of size.  He recommends an outer shell made of 1/16" mild steel, to 
carry all the scale detail and the weight, and inside it, a 
baffled, soldered 1/16" brass tank to hold the water.

--
Charles Lamont

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Lamont)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 06:47:16 +0000

--
Charles Lamont

---

From: John Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 1995 14:13:05 GMT

[email-masked] (JOHN JOHNSON) wrote:
> steam locomotive. 
> [Stuff Deleted]
My 1 1/2" live steam tender tank was made by another person 
(He would make one for you, I think).
I weigh 275 pounds and I ride on it with no problems. It has a frame
made from steel angle iron with steel plates riveted or screwed on.
 It is leak-proofed by a coating inside which is designed to
be used in the gas tanks of antique cars. It is white in color and
works quite well. If you would like more information, e-mail me.