Subject: Oxy-propane question

From: [email-masked] (Mrwizard00)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 20:48:11 -0400

Can you use the same regulators and welding tips with oxy-propane that you
use for acetylene or is there a difference in flame propagation that would
make this either unworkable or dangerous?  I have a POL adapter for a
propane tank for my regulators, but have not attempted to use it.  Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 02:54:26 -0400

To use oxy propane you will need a seperate propane regulator. All
flammmable gas regulators are designed for one and only one gas. Never
adapt them to other gases unless you want to make a crater where your shop
was.
Tips for welding and cutting with gas mixtures other than Oxy-acet. can be
purchased for most major brands of torches. I got a bunch of oxy -nat.gas
tips when I bought a set of used torches. Victor , Smith, and Harris all
make tips for other gas mixes and there are companies such as Western
Products that make tips for other torches as well.
I have an oxygen regulator that some bozo adapted to an LP gas tank.
Because of the oilyness of LP gas the regulator is useless . If pure
oxygen is fed through it , it could explode. 
Stick with the right equpment a little extra cost beats the hell out of a
pyro display that only others can appreciate.
Good luck.
@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hampson)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 03:05:13 GMT

> propane tank for my regulators, but have not attempted to use it.  Thanks.

I have a Harris torch that I can switch to oxy-propane for heating.  It
required a new mixer, tube and heating tips.  I use quick disconnects
(from a welding shop -- not those for compressed air) to switch the
fuel hose from the acetylene tank to the propane tank.  I have a
special regulator that goes up to 60 psi (for another torch), but an
acetylene regulator should work fine if you only need 15 psi.  Note
that acetylene tanks use POL connections, too.
 
--
Steve Hampson                           
Blue Sky Research
534 SW 3rd Ave
Portland, OR 97204
503-222-9571
503-222-1643 fax

---

From: [email-masked] (Gale Carlisle)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 18:12:51 GMT

>adapt them to other gases unless you want to make a crater where your shop
	Interesting, in being a welder/mechanic for 20 years I have never
 	been advised by a welding or gas supplier to use a proper propane
	regulator on a propane bottle used for oxy/propane cutting unit.

	all I have ever seen being used are the acetelyne regulators being
	used on the propane bottle.