Subject: Outlawed Pulsejet Engines

From: [email-masked] (Don Stauffer)
Date: 22 May 1995 08:02:53 CDT

This is in response to a number of posts about outlawing of pulse jet 
(Dynajet) engines. I thought I would start a new subject heading, to 
seperate it from comments on the Schreckling engine.

Anyway, in my home town (Detroit) about that time, a number of suburbs 
and park departments "outlawed" the engine because of noise complaints, 
not safety.  And this was local ordinances, not a nationwide ban.  Later, 
some of these communities banned UC gas engine flying altogether, as a 
result of the noise, but the Dynajet was the first to go.  If you ever 
heard one of those suckers, you know why.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Janecek)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 14:49:32 -0600

Are you refering to pulse-jet engines used in flying models, or the types
used in Mosquito-abatement machines?

I use a pair of hand-held Curtis Dyna-Foggers for outdoor Special Effects
use (generation of large quantities of smoke).

They do make a tremendous racket,  but a pair of them going together
sounds like  you're riding inside a bomber.

So-if they outlawed the ones for mosquito control because of the noise
(and the truck-mounted ones are bigger) what do they use instead?

-- 
Jim Janecek
Personal Effects inc.