Subject: Re: metal cutting scroll saw blades?

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 10:43:08 -0700

--If you have to do alot of this and if the cuts involve alot of 
curves, you might want to consider using a heavy-duty nibbler. I've used 
a light-duty pneumatic one that I got from Harbor Freight and it works 
great. I've seen heavier-duty ones at WESTEC that were capable of doing 
the same thing to 1/4" plate. Very fast, they are. 
-- 
	"Steamboat Ed" Haas	:	Founder of the 
	phone: 	(805) 968-7534	:	SBSMEEBBQ
	FAX:	(805) 562-8928	:	Call about our Newsletter!
		---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

---

From: [email-masked] (Bryan Cort)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 12:48:16 GMT

Does anyone know of any scroll saw blades that can cup 1/8" steel
(circular saw blade)?

thanks.

Bryan Cort
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark McDade x36841)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 22:27:41 GMT

Bryan Cort ([email-masked]) wrote:
: 	Does anyone know of any scroll saw blades that can cup 1/8" steel
: (circular saw blade)?

: thanks.

: Bryan Cort
: [email-masked]

Delta markets metal blades for scroll saws - usually in lumber yards,
etc.  They're about 20tpi and available in pin or pinless styles.  They
will cut mild steel very slowly if you can set the saw to run at a slow
speed.  They will vibrate a lot and won't make a smooth cut.  If you
need to do much curve cutting you'll probably need a metal cutting
band saw. 

Mark McDade

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 22:29:29 GMT

No!  A circular saw blade is hardened steel.  The only possible way to cut
it with a scroll saw (I assume you mean a saber-type saw) is with an abrasive
blade.  Ask around for carbide abrasive blades for cutting masonry tile
and similar materials.  It will be very SLOW, and may use up many blades to
make just a few inches of cut.  What are you trying to do?  That may help us
suggest the correct cutting technology - ie EDM, frictional (cutoff) saw,
cutting torch, grinding wheel, diamond grit on wire, etc.