Subject: Sword making

From: [email-masked] (Wayne Welgush)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 00:55:54 GMT

I would be very pleased if someone could e-mail me a instruction manual 
on who to make a Japanese samuria sword or katna from scratch.  My e-mail 
address is [email-masked] .

---

From: [email-masked] (JHrisoulas)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 17:15:56 -0400

Mr. Welgush:

I read your post, and I can do the work, but I need to know more
information.. Please contacrt me via e-mail or post:

Dr. J..P  Hrisoulas author:
"The Complete Bladesmith"
"The Master Bladesmith"
"The Pattern Welded Blade"

C/O:

Salamander Armoury 
330 South Decatur, Ste 109
Las Vegas, NV 89107 USA
\1-702-566-8551

Yours,

J.P. Hrisoulas

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Zettle)
Date: 29 Jul 95 04:43:15 GMT

>address is [email-masked] .

Hay send me the info too, but I know its one long proses especially if 
you fold the blade. What I would really like to know is when is the curve 
put in the blade, is it when the blade is quenched with the clay coating 
that causes the curve or is the curve forged in the the blade on the 
anvil ? Thanks 
                    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 08:07:38 GMT

Wayne Welgush wrote:
>on who to make a Japanese samuria sword or katna from scratch

Good luck. To get a small idea of what you're asking, see "the craft of the
Japanese sword".

--RC

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 08:34:36 GMT

>that causes the curve or is the curve forged in the the blade on the 

The curve is forged into the blade on the anvil.

BTW: Making a katana is even done by a single person in Japan. For example
the sword smiths don't polish their own blades and I don't think most of
them smelt their own steel. Of course the scabbards, tsubas, mountings,
etc. are all made by specialists as well.

--RC

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 08:38:26 GMT

--RC

---

From: Rick&Joy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 95 19:41:24 -0500

>that causes the curve or is the curve forged in the the blade on the 
 
Like the man says, not a small undertaking.  Get the book "The craft of the
Japanese sword".  The curve is partially forged and then the quenching with the
clayfinishes it "hopefully".  I've read that the curve often has to be adjus
ted by using hot blocks of copper and hammerwork.  Good luck.
Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Faul)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 21:28:31 GMT

I hope you got my email. I think a little clarification is needed. The 
question was asked if Medievel European swords Circa 15-1600 were as good 
as the Japanese blades of the same period. My response was that they were 
not, due in large part to the methods of manufacture and the mass 
production of blades in Europe from that point in time. 
My reference was to Western Europe, excluding Northern Europe and 
Damascene type blades. I too have studied both other types of blades and 
have also manufactured a replica of the Sutton Hoo find. I would class 
the Norse smiths i nthe same catagory of metallurgical knowledge as the 
Japanes smiths. I would not however put Damascene blades in the same 
catagory. From what I have seen true Damascus blades while made from a 
high carbon content metal did nopt use the same composite/multi-part 
methods to produce blades with differing carbon content for different 
parts of the blade.

Mike (not a Dr.)

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>> Historically I can find no
>>reference to indicate that the European smiths had the same level of
>>understanding of their materials. 
>>
>Dear Sir,
>
>I have done extensive reading on the manufacture of japanese blades.  I 
>agree that the technique is applaudable and that they did make good 
>blades.  However I dislike the way you dismiss the European blades so 
>offhandedly.  The Norse braodsword was a pattern welded sword that 
>required every bit as much skill as a Japanese blade, and these were 
>mostly made in the 6th - 10th century; before the height of Japanese 
>blade technology.  The Sutton Hoo burial sword has a magnificent pattern 
>welded core for strength and a hard steel edge and this is a 6th century 
>weapon.  With the production of homogenous high carbon steel blades 
>appearing in the 10th and 11th centuries (about the time of crusades) 
the 
>arduous task of pattern welding began to be supplanted by mass 
production 
>of swords and the building and maintaining of large armies.  
>
>The Eastern true Damascus  swords were ultra high carbon steels and the 
>nature of the forging gave them strength and a super hard edge.  The 
>current theories of true Damascus production, beginning with making the 
>Wootz and forging out a blade, indicate a high level of understanding of 
>iron and steel.
>
>I believe that too often Westerners discount the achievments of their 
own 
>ancestors and this is a sad thing.  We especially seem to get so caught 
>up with the philosophy and mysticism of Oriental swordsmithing we forget 
>that they were not the only culture that could produce superior blades - 
>and use them.
>
>
>With respect,
>
>Bill McConnell.
>Hobby Swordmaker from Perth, Western Australia.
>
>