Subject: Re: Cut a way of valve

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 17:53:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Robert Hoover) writes:

>I am working on doing a cut-a-way for a complex numatic valve.

>The nice thing is that the valve is a cylinder and all of its
>componets are on center. My problem lies in how to do the cuting

>so that the pieces in the valve will not fall out. I have thought
>about cutting the valve in half +.10 " so that I actually have
>some round edge to keep parts inside the valve. 

>Also There are several parts that I would like to cut in place BUT
>I am dealing weith several differnt metals. The main part of the
>valve is Stainless Steel with several parts of the internals being
>brass or sping steel. Would there be a problem cutting all these items
>at one time ?

>I would like to make sure I dont maul my only valve for this project
>by trying to mix cutting differnt materials.

>        Many Thanks

>        -R

I did a couple of diving requlators many years ago. The high preasure stage 
is similar to your valve I would think. I disassembled the thing and cut the 
body (plated brass) first, with a hack saw and then filed the cut surfaces 
smooth. You are right, you need to remove a pie shaped section and leave 
enough material around moving parts to lock them in. I left all of the 
internal parts uncut. If parts can turn or flex while cutting I would take 
them out and do them separately.

Ron 

Ron Thompson                      |     Internet:  [email-masked]
Psychology Dept.                  |     Voice:     904-644-5563
Florida State University          |     FAX:       904-644-7739
Tallahassee,  FL 32306-1051       |     Amateur Radio N4FHO

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Hoover)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 06:13:48 GMT

Many Thanks

	-R