Subject: Re: cutting sheet metal (mild steel)

From: [email-masked] (Jim Craighead)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 12:47:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Chris Youngson) says:
>
>
>Can anyone help me with a problem I'm working on? I would like to know if 
>it would be feasible to cut sheet metal with a common woodworking router? 
>If so what sort of cutter could I grind or buy? I was thinking of 
>something like a simple 1/8" straight-fluted mill. Any suggestions or 
>comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, 73 DE VE7CST
>

 A router will turn too fast. Since most hand tools use a "universal" type
of motor, you could use a lamp dimmer (check the current rating on your
router and on the dimmer) to control the speed of the router. I would use
a carbide bit.

Jim Craighead
Development Electronics
Mayo Clinic

---

From: [email-masked] (David Tanner)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 21:07:32 GMT

>router and on the dimmer) to control the speed of the router. I would use

I thought that carbide was much more brittle than hss. You never
have problems with the edge chipping?

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Amaranth)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 13:41:45 GMT

>have problems with the edge chipping?

I've used a carbide tipped blade in a table saw for cutting aluminum and
brass.  The blade is rated for non-ferrous metals, in fact.  Slow,
steady feed is important for good results.  I still ended up chipping a
couple of teeth.  That might be less of a problem with a router.

For cutting sheet steel (1/8), I've used an abrasive cutoff blade in
a circular saw.  Worked pretty well and put up an impressive shower of
sparks.

-- 
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     [email-masked]    [Rochester, Michigan  USA]
   Mosaic page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/amaranth/amaranth.html