Subject: Re LCD welding shields

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Towers)
Date: 28 May 1995 18:36:19 GMT

I just bought the Speed Shade 4"x 2" new for $128-00 + tax. 
Apparently they are having a sale right now.  I like this lens beacuse
it will retrofit into most existing helmets.  It is a fixed shade 10
but comes with two thin add on plates that will make it up to a 12. It
is a sealed unit so there is little chance of it getting muck inside
and the battery life is in excess of 10 years.  Another good feature is
that in its light state it is a very clear shade three whil still
offering shade 16 UV and IR protection.
    Its speed is only 1/2,000 sec but it doen't seem to be a problem if
you want speeds upto 1/10,000 then you are looking at $400-00 plus
dollars.
    I do not know if the manufacturer retails them but the number is
508-668-5149 or fax 508-668-4640.
    If you do buy one of these lenses PLEASE use a cover plate inside
and out at all times, my friend was sooo unhappy when he left his hood
on the table and got MIG spatter stuck on the inside of the lens.
    Good luck 
        Greg.