Subject: Re: dying aluminum black

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rayner)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 08:19:48 GMT

I replied to this by Email, but thought others may be interested.
In years past, most amateur telescope nuts, found the best black 
anodising dye to be Nigrosin Biological Stain.  This is the water soluble 
stuff, and is mixed 1 teaspoon full to a gallon of water.  I have a 
bottle of it here, ( Aldrich 19,828-5 ) .  If I remember correctly, it cost
$35.00 Canadian, for 25 grams.

-- 
************************************************************************
     MY SECRET IS OIL OF HARLEY DAVIDSON !      Steve Rayner
************************************************************************

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 1995 16:47:12 GMT

There is a source for metal blackening liquids including aluminum from:

Birchwood Casey in New Jersey.

Their telephone number is 908 892-7772.

I've seen their steel blackener work and it is magic (technology sufficiently 
advanced is indistinguishable from magic).

Unfortunately, the price is a little high . . . about $80 for a gallon of
solution that can, at least, be diluted 2:1.

Ask for their catalog before you purchase.

And you don't need all their chemicals to make the stuff work.  You just need
a competent degreaser and something like WD-40 to prevent rust afterwards.

Best,

Mike Rehmus

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Shockey)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 10:46:08 GMT

>solution that can, at least, be diluted 2:1.

Have ya priced Imron [tm], lately? <GriN>

--jim			[[email-masked]]
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
when the government's purposes are beneficient  . . .  the greatest
dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well
meaning but without understanding."
  	--Justice Louis Brandeis
	  Olmstead vs. United States, U. S. Supreme Court, 1928