Subject: Re: Charcoal, making it in the workshop

From: [email-masked] (M B Wehr (Bruce))
Date: 12 Jul 1995 17:50:21 GMT

Brian Adam ([email-masked]) wrote:
> Anyone Know how to make charcoal in the jewellery studio?

  This may seem a strange recommendation, but the folks over in
  rec.pyrotechnics make their own charcoal all the time.  I think their
  FAQ covers the subject.

 +========================================+==================================+
  Bruce Wehr - [email-masked]| "The country is never safer than
                                          |  when Congress is out of session"
  Ford Motor Company - Dearborn, Michigan |  -- The Home School Court Report
 +========================================+==================================+

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Elsey)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 05:29:28 GMT

....that's what I make on the corner of my bench where my mini-torch is
located, and without even trying...

....sniff....  ...do you smell something burning?

Ray

     _\|/_   "Is the guy with the flame-thrower gone yet?" 
     (o o) 
__oOO-(_)-OOo______________________________________________________
    Associate Jewelers Inc.  * Est. 1975 * Design & Manufacturing
  Wholesale Jewelry MFG * Union Benchworkers * Professional Results
 FAX (503) 226-6787 * Toll Free (800) 224-8086 * (503) 226-0408 PST
  Master Wax Pattern Catalog Available  *  "Nearly 10,000 patterns"
  http://www.teleport.com/~raylc/           "Fine Jewelry Web Site"

---

From: [email-masked] (T Lindsay)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 13:45:52 GMT

Charcoal is not difficult to make, but it is something you want to do 
outdoors. I reprinted a booklet put out in 1946 by the Connecticut 
Agricultural Experiment Station for making large quantities of charcoal. 
Connecticut tobacco farmers were using ten to twenty thousand tons of 
charcoal to cure their tobacco. This booklet shows how to build a kiln 
the size of a small bomb shelter out of cinder block. The 30 page booklet 
is only 3.95 plus shipping. It's described in my metal catalog. If you're 
interested, send me your address via e-mail, and we'll send a catalog.
Lindsay
Lindsay Publications

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Adam)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 15:40:04

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (P.Moravek) writes:

>I've made charcoal in my mom's kitchen (when in Jr. high school).
>It was a fairly simple process of putting the wood in a metal container
>(bandaid box) with tight-fitting lid and a small hole pierced through it.
>Then "cooking" it on the stove.  I got the directions from a "do science
>at home" type book.
>Granted, the charcoal was not of good quality, but heck, I was 12 at 
>the time.
>If I was to do this today, I'd go to the library and look up a method,
>or trek down to the charcoal factory (about 25 miles from here) and
>see if they had some good deals.
>Cheers!

I wish I had a charcoal factory near me! The sole jewellery supplier here
in NZ charges over $30 (10 quid) for a tiny block 4"x4"x2".
Ive had a lot of detailed responses, with sensible safety advice, for me
to get started on it. Thanks, you people.

	Brian Adam
	-O-O-
	Eyeglasses And Other Jewellery
	Auckland New Zealand
	voice +64 9 817 6816