Subject: Re: Forging a Froe

From: [email-masked] (Charles Lamont)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 07:03:01 +0000

I am probably going to regret this, but what is a froe anyway? 

And while I am at it, a much more difficult question.  Why do I find 
the look and sound of the word, irrespective of its meaning, so 
peculiarly unpleasant?  I find it a sort of teeth on edge, finger-nails 
on slate kind of word.  It just looks wrong somehow.  Am I alone in 
this?  Will I be happier about it when I know what it means?

--
Charles Lamont

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Wold)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 19:10:37 -0500

Charles Lamont ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am probably going to regret this, but what is a froe anyway? 

: And while I am at it, a much more difficult question.  Why do I find 
: the look and sound of the word, irrespective of its meaning, so 
: peculiarly unpleasant?  I find it a sort of teeth on edge, finger-nails 
: on slate kind of word.  It just looks wrong somehow.  Am I alone in 
: this?  Will I be happier about it when I know what it means?

: --
: Charles Lamont

A froe is used for making shake shingles. It's like a long, flat wedge with
a handle attached. A froe could be made of flat bar measuring about 2"x1/4"
and 12-18" long. A piece of leaf-spring would be could. Weld a piece of pipe
to it to accept a wood handle.

Cut a log the length of the shingles you want. Put it on the ground and
pound the froe into it. Work the handle "TO and FRO" and split off your
shakes. 

-Dan

-- 
[email-masked]
Daniel Wold                               239 City Island Ave,Bronx,NY,10464
finger [email-masked]
Sysop: WORLD CITIZEN BBS  718-885-2346  14.4  24 hrs  FREE  Fidonet BahaiNet

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 01:34:47

>this?  Will I be happier about it when I know what it means?
Makes you want to 'froe' up, eh?

A froe is a dull blade about two feet long and a couple of inches wide with
a handle set at right angles to the wide side L fashion. It is used to
split wood  along the grain by driving the froe into the wood with a club.

There's an entire tradition of woodworking that is based on splitting and
shaving the wood rather than cutting it.

--Rick Cook