Subject: Anti-flaring tubing

From: [email-masked] (Craig Smith)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 17:47:48 GMT

I would like to have the ends of copper tubing such that the end I cut
is then folded back inside the tube.  This is ornamental and needs to
be non-sharp for fingers to play with it.  Does anyone have any
recommendations?

Thanks,
--
Craig Smith-Earth Spirit Designs		[email-masked]
WWW http://netmar.com/mall/shops/espirit/
Jewelry made from semi-precious stone and glass.

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 May 1995 15:55:01 GMT

Get a double flaring tool for brake lines.  If your tubing size is too large, make a 
larger version of the flaring tool.  Might have to anneal the copper once or twice.

Mike Rehmus

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 May 1995 00:44:44 GMT

>   [email-masked] (Craig Smith) writes:
>  

If you have access to a lathe with collets, you might be able to use a 
variation of metal spinning to work the ends back into the ID of the tube.
I've spun 3/8 copper tubing  to a near full radius end, though not quite closed.
I didn't use an internal form for this, just air-spun (meaning no backup to form the
metal down onto). If you can get to a lathe with collets, let me know, and I can go 
into a bit more detail as to what and how I did it.

Jon Anderson

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 20:20:21 GMT

>be non-sharp for fingers to play with it.  Does anyone have any

I think this is called "double flaring" and is done on steel automobile 
brake lines.  The tool to do this should be available at a fairly 
comprehensive auto parts store.  Good luck.
                               M Kinsler

---

From: [email-masked] (Craig Smith)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 15:40:09 GMT

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]> writes:
In article <[email-masked]> Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]> writes:

    Mike> Get a double flaring tool for brake lines.  If your tubing
    Mike> size is too large, make a larger version of the flaring
    Mike> tool.  Might have to anneal the copper once or twice.

    Mike> Mike Rehmus

Thanks to all for their suggestions.  A double flaring tool sounds like
the ticket.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gale Carlisle)
Date: Sun, 28 May 1995 04:21:35 GMT

>be non-sharp for fingers to play with it.  Does anyone have any

	Thats called double flaring and is a steandard procedure on any
	automotive brake line repair. The set I have goes to 3/8" only.
	If you need it bigger you may be able to have a machinist make
	you the needed button.