Subject: Re: Filing machine files source?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Wolfe)
Date: 4 Jun 1995 23:27:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (CONGREVE) says:
>                              [email-masked]
>[email-masked]
Lots of luck, it seems that the supply houses that I have contact with
have the same problem as you.

I know there are still manufactuers that still make die filers, I have not
tried to find them yet.
I have made my own files by welding the thread part of the proper size
bolt to the opposite end of the tang so that it files on the down stroke, it
does work but you have to be very careful on the alignment of the bolt to
the file.

Mike Wolfe

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Lorenz)
Date: 4 Jun 1995 22:43:17 GMT

I too have an old Die Filer, mine was made by Oliver Instrument Co. A few 
years ago the following company listed die files in their catalog, I 
don't know if they have them anymore, but worth a call.  The company is:
Sibley Industrial Tool Co.
21938 John R. St.
Hazel Park, Mi. 48030    Telephone number: 810-547-6942  FAX 547-6954

Good Luck,
      Bob Lorenz

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 04:43:00 GMT

[email-masked] (CONGREVE) writes:

>I've inherited (in other words foolishly bought) a small old die filer
>machine that takes files about 8" long and need to have a flat tang.  The
>file is vertical and goes up and down maybe an inch, through a hole in a
>horizontal table.  It's my understanding that special files should be used
>which cut on the "pull" (ie in this context) "down" stroke, so that there
>is no tendency to force the work away from the table.  I've not been able
>to find any source from the catalogs I have or from a couple of 800
>numbers, and experimental use of "regular" files is not terribly
>encouraging.

>Would be grateful for a source!

>[email-masked]

On a tangent.  There was an article in HSM issue before current.
Fellow made a small die filer using an old sabre saw motor.  For
files, he modified swiss files using 2% low temp silver solder
to attach handles to the "correct" end of the files.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: mike faul <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Jun 1995 17:19:59 GMT

Filing machine? please explain

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Faul                                                 415-528-2584
Systems Engineer                                    [email-masked]
Netscape Communications Inc.     http://home.netscape.com/people/mfaul
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert P. Murray Jr.)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 07:50:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...

<snipped>
MSC used to carry files too. Don't know their number tho...

Bob Murray

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Wolfe)
Date: 4 Jun 1995 23:27:00 GMT

Mike Wolfe

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Lorenz)
Date: 4 Jun 1995 22:43:17 GMT

Good Luck,
      Bob Lorenz

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 04:43:00 GMT