Subject: My Brass Collar

From: [email-masked] (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 23:53:47 -0701

****** I'd like to thank the people who responded, both in email and 
in the group, to my problems turning a brass part in my new Sherline.  
And report my progress :-).

   Today a package arrived from Eastern Machine Tools.  It contained a 
set of center drills and ten HSS lathe tool blanks.  Yippee!  I finished
my honeydoes and and ran out to the garage.  

    Chucked my chunk of brass into the 3-jaw, put a chuck in the tailstock,
and ran the latter into the former.  

   With the workpiece supported on one end by the 3-jaw chuck, and on 
the other by the tailstock center, I was able to easily turn down a
swath to the proper diameter, as Barry suggested.  Then I pulled
my brass out of the lathe, chucked it in my big bench vise, and hacksawed
off the turned-down portion.  Yeah, its primitive, but it did the job.
BTW, this is not a critical part - it just gets glued onto a ceramic
insulator, and serves as a center hub to screw brass tuning stubs into.
 
   The HSS tool blanks from Eastern had angled ends, and were really quite
sharp.  In fact, one of them served quite well to turn and face the brass
with no grinding or sharpening whatsoever.

  Now I still have to bore the center ( gotta grind up a tool ) cut it off
and face the other end.

   Gotta go now, sysadmin sez this machine is going to disappear at 12:00....!
                                     - Jerry