Subject: small Silver solder torch??

From: [email-masked] (Pappa Xmas)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 18:51:08 -0400

Greetings,
Do you think a $50.00 propane/ox torch found at the local hardware store
would do for silver soldering band instruments.  The work can be described
as larger than Jewerly repair but smaller than just about anything else. 
Do any of you run these little torch outfits?
(two tanks, both normal propane size)
Leonard, LAredo

---

From: [email-masked] (C. M. Fox)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 10:55:45 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Pappa

> (two tanks, both normal propane size)

   If is it the torch with the "disposible" tanks, I'd say forget it. I
tried this route once. The oxygen tank only lasted 10 minutes at the most.
I was paying around $9 a tank and then having to figure out what to do
with the empties. I finally popped for an acetyelene/air torch as the
least inexpensive (not very, $200 apx) set-up from Rio Grande. I really
struggled with this issue of torches. It's a hard one to get around for
under $100. But if you start adding up the cost of the tanks, the
commitment to get a more expensive set-up up front is easier.
Fox

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Gellman)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 19:22:26 GMT

>(two tanks, both normal propane size)

I've found the cheapest way is a gas-air torch from a jewelery supply store 
(Gamzon Bros., NYC) for about $30. It sort of looks like a little welding 
torch with two valves that you hook up with hoses to a gas bottle and a 
compressor. I took a regular propane torch and took off the head and clamped 
on the hose. It works great and using MAPP gas can put out tremendous heat. It 
came with three heads: large air, small air and oxygen. I haven't tried the 
oxygen head although I've been tempted to get a regulator and bottle. Don't 
get the little oxy-gas torch, I've got one and the oxy bottles are way too 
expensive.

Jon

Jon Gellman Effects
[email-masked]
NYC, NY