Subject: Re: Miniature Mill

From: [email-masked] (Insect God)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 02:55:19 -0400

[email-masked] (XSF) speaks:
>Can anyone recommend a good quality miniature mill for learning basic
>machining and making model machinery?

I've been happy with my Sherline for three years now, and I hear
they've improved the basic model considerably since then.  I've found
it an excellent machine to learn on: not expensive, and any broken
piece can be easily replaced.

-Sheba

---

From: [email-masked] (XSF)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 19:10:08 -0400

thanks in advance
regards
craig earls

"Finding complex solutions to yesterdays simple problems"

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 20:25:29 LOCAL

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (XSF) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (XSF)
>Subject: Miniature Mill
>Date: 10 Aug 1995 19:10:08 -0400

>"Finding complex solutions to yesterdays simple problems"

This is often mentioned here. I think the Sherline lathe and mill is the best. 
I owned a Unimat and found it to under powered to be usefull. I sold it 
and bought Sherline. 

Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 10:19:41 -0700

--for the same price as a new Sherline you just *might* be able 
to find a used Benchmaster. It's a much nicer machine and although 
smaller than a Bricgeport by far, it will serve you well when you 
"graduate" to the bigger projects. Still regret selling mine years ago...
-- 
	"Steamboat Ed" Haas	:	Founder of the 
	phone: 	(805) 968-7534	:	SBSMEEBBQ
	FAX:	(805) 562-8928	:	Call about our Newsletter!
		---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 11 Aug 95 09:25:38 MDT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (XSF) writes:
|>Can anyone recommend a good quality miniature mill for learning basic
|>machining and making model machinery?

Several have already suggested Sherline; I just posted a lengthy reply
to the fellow asking about music boxes that lists their address and
where to read a nice review of them by Jim Harvey.

Jim (not Harvey)

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Wodtli)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 02:52:00 GMT

>"Finding complex solutions to yesterdays simple problems"

Sherline makes a good mill for about $500 that is very good quality and 
highly recomended by anyone that buys one.  Love mine, but need a bigger 
mill to make larger parts.  See the FAQ for their phone and address.
Look at messages a few days back, a recent convert was still praising 
their mill and lathe.