Subject: Repair Stepper Motor Where??

From: [email-masked] (Edward Haas)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 10:35:50 -0700

Hello, all. I'm in Santa Barbara, CA, about 100 mi. north of Los 
Angeles and I've got a 300oz-in. Slo-Syn stepper motor that has given up 
the ghost. Went thru the local yellow pages, but it's hopeless in this 
tourist trap. Can someone recommend an electric motor repair shop that's 
not too far away that can repair stepper motors??
	TIA,
-- 
	"Steamboat Ed" Haas	:	Founder of the 
	phone: 	(805) 968-7534	:	SBSMEEBBQ
	FAX:	(805) 562-8928	:	Call about our Newsletter!
		---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

---

From: John Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jul 1995 19:55:28 GMT

Ed, 
   It may be cheaper to just buy a new one from Superior Electric (phone 
(203) 585-4500) than to get one rebuilt.  When one burns up we buy a new 
one.  Depending on the frame size and torque cost is not usualy that 
high.  
   We buy them through Minarik in San Jose, CA.  (408) 955-9030 but there 
is probably a distributor closer to you.

Good luck, John

---

From: Andrew Mawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 23:34:42 GMT

Ah-Ha stock second hand stepper motors of that size:

They are on 612-331-7657

Box 14519 Mpls, MN 55414
-- 
Andrew Mawson ------> [email-masked]
Bromley, Kent, England. 0181-466-5582

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Ginger)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 21:05:12 LOCAL

I have read that disassembling a stepper motor will destroy its magnetic 
properties so that it will be uselless.  Apparently they use lots of very high 
strength magnetic material, and when the air gap goes to large, by removing 
the rotor, the field is weakened

so I think you cannot repair step motors.
Ron Ginger
my signature is http://www.ultranet.com/~ginger

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Mauch)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 03:30:45 GMT

>not too far away that can repair stepper motors??

Usually a stepper motor lasts forever. Check the resistance between  the red 
and black lead, then the black wire and the red white. Record them. Then take 
a resistance reading of the green and white wires followed by the white to 
green/white. Let me know what you find.  
 DO NOT TAKE THE ROTOR OUT OF THE CASE. You will loose 30-50% of the 
efficiency of the motor because the rotor is manetized while it is in the 
case. You can take off the end caps and replace the bearings but if the 
windings are shot then it would be better to replace the motor. I know lots of 
mail order sources for stepper of that size or larger.