Subject: Re: Apprentice Blacksmith?

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: 8 Sep 1995 23:13:25 GMT

Lee Seifried wrote:
>[email-masked] (Geofidus) wrote:
>
>>Where does a person go to learn to
>> Blacksmith and be a farrier (sic?)
>
>>--Geofidus
>
>	There are many Trade Schools that offer courses in Horse Shoeing, here
>are just a few that were listed in EQUUS magazine.
>
However be aware that these places don't teach blacksmithing. Horseshoeing
is a completely different skill and uses very little of the blacksmith's
art or techniques.

Your best bet is to find the nearest chapter of the blacksmith's
association (ABANA??? I should know I used to be a member) and see who is
in your area or who is willing to take on apprentices.

Failing that, you can set up a simple shop and learn from books and a
little help from other blacksmiths. That's essentially the way almost all
the smiths of my generation learned. But it's a long, slow process and
you'll make a lot more mistakes,

--RC

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Seifried)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 02:05:31 GMT

>--RC

Rich,
	You are so right, there is a BIG,BIG difference between hammering a
length of metal into a horseshoe, and something of artistic value. For
just the artistic aspect of metalworking try some of the local
colleges. I know that Syracuse Univ has an extensive metal working
program, and even offers a masters degree in the field. This is a very
comprehensive program and teaches all aspects of metal working (as it
relates to the arts) including Blacksmithing. The local Community
College (MVCC) also offers 2 different courses in Blacksmithing.

Here is the address for ABANA

ABANA
P.O.Box 1181
Nashville Indiana    47448

The membership fee (was) 35.00/yr and with that you get a great
magazine (The Anvil's Ring).

Lee
[email-masked]