Subject: Re: work holder for disk

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 22:56:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kevin Oliver) writes:
>Path: mailer.fsu.edu!gatech!howland.reston.ans.net!ix.netcom.com!netnews
>From: [email-masked] (Kevin Oliver)

>Some background first; I am an attorney and green, rank 
>beginning, amateur machinist with a Sherline lathe and mill.  I need to 
>reduce the diameter of a metal disk about 1" in diameter by turning down 
>its entire edge.  I need to find a way to hold the workpiece without 
>drilling a hole in the piece. I tried superglue-ing the piece to a plain 
>arbor and running the live center up against it, but the result was a 
>lovely oval shape (not good.) It would be easier to get Rush Limbaugh to 
>the center than to center this setup.  I am hoping that some of the more 
>experienced machinists who read this group may be able to help me get on 
>the right track.
>Either email or post your ideas.
>Thanks, Kevin
>-- 

>[email-masked]

The method I use for turning disks is to first chuch a piece of aluminum 
rod in the three jaw and turn it flat then center drill it. cut it off at a 
distance past the center drilled hole. It is now a "button" with a recess 
in one  side. the piece remaining in the chuck is left in place and your 
disk is placed on it. now bring the tail stock up and with your live center 
inserted into the recess in the button press it against the disk. This 
clamps the disk in place. you need a fair amount of pressure to hold it 
there while cutting. In your case you may want to make tthe piece of 
aluminum rod the same size as your disk. When starting the cut aproach the 
disk with care. I have turned stacks of disks like this. You can start with 
square pieces of sheet metal as long as you turn the corners off with a care.

Ron

Ron Thompson                   |  Voice (904) 644-5563
Psychology Dept                |  Fax   (904) 644-7739
Florida State Univ             |  Amateur Radio N4FHO
Tallahassee, FL 33206-1051     |  Member Florida Flywheelers

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacob Henteleff)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 05:53:36 GMT

What a pleasant surprise to find a fellow attorney/chip maker out there! 
I am a Barrister & Solicitor in Canada and avid metal worker.

You didn't mention the material of the disk you are turning. If it is 
steel try soft soldering it to a steel bar that can then be chucked in the 
the lathe. Once the turning is done unsolder the part. I once did this to 
turn a cone shaped thrust washer for a Triumph TR6 gearbox. It worked 
like a charm.

For aluminum the idea of pressing it with a button is a good idea.

Jacob Henteleff

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Oliver)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:26:35 GMT

[email-masked]

Tasteless Attorney at Law

My law firm doesn't like me stirring up trouble, so
don't pay attention to anything I have to say.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 16:13:31 GMT

Jacob Henteleff ([email-masked]) wrote:

: What a pleasant surprise to find a fellow attorney/chip maker out there! 
: I once did this to 
: turn a cone shaped thrust washer for a Triumph TR6 gearbox. It worked 
: like a charm.

  What a pleasant surprise to find another TR6 Mechanic/chip maker.
I have a 73.