Subject: Re: anodizing aluminum black

From: [email-masked] (Ron Thompson)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 10:56:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]> writes:

>I seem to recall that the Tektronix front panels would evenually fade if left
>in 
>direct sunshine.  Not quickly, mind you, but noticably.  Black fades to kind
>of a 
>funny purple.

>Don't know about other commercial dies but if Analine dyes could be used, I
>think 
>they were somewhat more color fast.

>Best,

>Mike Rehmus

I do not have the info here but Sandoz Chenical has a like of aluminum dies. 
The black (one of several blacks) we buy at work cost about $50/lb. With a 
minimum of 5 lb purchase. There is someone who repackages thier dies in 
smaller sizes, but the price  per pound is something like double. I will try 
to post the address and phone no. in a few days.

Ron

Ron Thompson                   |  Voice (904) 644-5563
Psychology Dept                |  Fax   (904) 644-7739
Florida State Univ             |  Amateur Radio N4FHO
Tallahassee, FL 33206-1051     |  Member Florida Flywheelers

---

From: patrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 15:50:37 -0500

Thanks, I tried it once and failed . . . perhaps I should try again . . .

drip, drip, drip . . .
To master the ancient and mysterious art of scrying is to hold the power to
pierce your own veil of illusion, viewing your soul unbidden.

				submitted humbly,
				Patrick Riggs

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
>   Rit (or perhaps Rite, I don't recall the spelling) Dye is available in a huge
> range of colors and it works fine for aluminum.  Tektronix (where I worked for
> about 22 years) used to use this dye for all the aluminum front panels (before
> changing over to plastic overlays).
> 
> -- 
> 
>   M. Cranford    Resident Skeptic    P6 Architecture Labs
>

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1995 05:41:50 GMT

I seem to recall that the Tektronix front panels would evenually fade if left in 
direct sunshine.  Not quickly, mind you, but noticably.  Black fades to kind of a 
funny purple.

Don't know about other commercial dies but if Analine dyes could be used, I think 
they were somewhat more color fast.

Best,

Mike Rehmus