Subject: bending strap iron circles... HELP!

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Aug 1995 20:39:38 GMT

HELP!
    I need to build a jig to cold bend strap iron of various widths into circles of different sizes. The thickness will be only 1/8" so I am sure 
something can be made to form circles by hand. Any help would be appreciated very much. My e-mail address is 
[email-masked]            THANKS!

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 22:16:38 -0400

A standard method of cold bending rings and hoops is to bend them around a
set of wood blocks.
To start cut a bunch of circles out of 3/4 in. plywood.
Cut the circles the same diameter as the finished hoop you want. Glue them
together to form a solid block. 
Don't use any nails or staples since you will be cutting it down as you go
and they play hell with saw blades.
Screws are OK if you can remove them once it is set up.
This is a starting point. Mark the diameter you want on a piece of ply or
paper.
Bend 1 in. of the end of your bar at a right angle .
Cut 2 notches in the block across from eachother  that the end of the bar
can fit into.
Screw the circle block to a table with another block next to it at the
same place as one of the notches, with enough space to fit the bar. 
Place the end of the bar in the notch so the other block holds it in. 
Rap the bar around the round block. 
It will spring back to a larger size but this should give you an idea of
how much smaller the circle block needs to be.
 Keep cutting down the block in diameter till the bar , when bent, springs
back to the diameter you wish.
 Once the bend matches the circle on paper, you can stop cutting it down.
 Make the first bend with the end of the bar in the first notch, then lift
the bent bar and place the end in the second notch. This should give you
room to continue the bend around to form a complete ring.
Once you have this set up you can produce as many rings as you wish.
In the past I have made whole sets of blocks that vary in diameter by a
1/4 of an inch.
It saves time in the long run. After a little practice you get pretty good
at guessing how much smaller to make the block.
Good luck

@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@