Subject: Re: Air compressor

From: [email-masked] (Pete Bellas)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 14:31:14 GMT

> >Jim  Naylor
> >Would anyone know if it is practical to convert a running (fairly low
> >mileage) '71 Ford v-8 engine (350 cid) into a four cylinder engine with
> >the other four acting as an air compressor? Would the heads need to be
> >modified, or could one side be used as the compressor. Would the manifolds
> >need modification (to keep the gas out of the compressor, at least)? Would
> >it need a different carburetor? Would the ignition changes be extensive?
> >Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?
> >
> >Any help (or even a recipe, maybe?) would be greatly appreciated.

This is exactly how most mid size commercial portables are made. The engine
of choice weems to be a 318 dodge. Once side is for combustion and has the
stock head. The other side is for compressor duty and has a special head
and intake manifold, the exaust is just piped into the tank. Carb is stock
and the distributer has half the wires removed. Take a look at any of the
midsize trailer mounted compressors at a rental yard, that'll anwer all
your questions (well most anyway :-). Good Luck.

			-Pete-

* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *
* Santa Monica, CA                                                         *
* [email-masked]                                                     *