Subject: 5" grinder endorsement

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 06:35:59 -0400

I just thought I'd pass this on to anybody interested.
I don't know how many Welder/Fabricator/Blacksmiths there are here but
this should interest all.
I have found that the most used tool in my shop is in fact a 4-1/2 in
right angle grinder. I've spent days doing finish work with one with any
number of discs or heads on it.
I have one that is now a random orbital and another that is dedicated to a
biscuit joiner. I have 3 more that get switched back and forth between
Grinding wheels , cuttoff wheels , flapper -sanding discs, wire wheels,
Scotch brite discs and sandind pads. I also have a pair of tungsten
carbide burr discs for shaping wood very quickly.

In the past I have always used SKIL grinders , Not that they are
necessarily the best , but they are affordable, at $80 a piece, easily
fixed, and fit my hand real nice. Since I've started using more aluminum I
noticed that the increase in friction has been making my little grinders
prettty hot.

( Now to the jist of my nub...so to speak....)

Porter Cable just started selling a 5 in. grinder that I finally decided
to try. 
Absolutly outstanding !!!
I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a new tool. Not only does
it have considerably more power but is only slightly larger, and has a
wonderful shaft lock button.
I suspect that it is in fact a Metabo (Rolls Royce of powertools) grinder
since it is made in Germany and bears a remarkable similarity to Metabo's
I've used in the past. At $110 it costs about $60 less than a Metabo 5 in.
and seems to be every bit as good.
So, for whatever my opinion is worth, I heartily endorse this little beast
to any in the market for a better hand grinder.

Happy grinding

PS It uses the now standard 5/8-11 shaft thread , so it is compatible with
most current attachments.

@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Didik)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:46:06 GMT

The Horbor Freight 4"  "cheapo" grinder which they sell for only $29 has 
worked very well for me.   It seems to be almost the same as the Makita 
version with the metal head.

 ErnieLeim ([email-masked]) 
wrote: : I just thought I'd pass this on to anybody interested.
: I don't know how many Welder/Fabricator/Blacksmiths there are here but
: this should interest all.
: I have found that the most used tool in my shop is in fact a 4-1/2 in
: right angle grinder. I've spent days doing finish work with one with any
: number of discs or heads on it.
: I have one that is now a random orbital and another that is dedicated to a
: biscuit joiner. I have 3 more that get switched back and forth between
: Grinding wheels , cuttoff wheels , flapper -sanding discs, wire wheels,
: Scotch brite discs and sandind pads. I also have a pair of tungsten
: carbide burr discs for shaping wood very quickly.

: In the past I have always used SKIL grinders , Not that they are
: necessarily the best , but they are affordable, at $80 a piece, easily
: fixed, and fit my hand real nice. Since I've started using more aluminum I
: noticed that the increase in friction has been making my little grinders
: prettty hot.

: ( Now to the jist of my nub...so to speak....)

: Porter Cable just started selling a 5 in. grinder that I finally decided
: to try. 
: Absolutly outstanding !!!
: I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a new tool. Not only does
: it have considerably more power but is only slightly larger, and has a
: wonderful shaft lock button.
: I suspect that it is in fact a Metabo (Rolls Royce of powertools) grinder
: since it is made in Germany and bears a remarkable similarity to Metabo's
: I've used in the past. At $110 it costs about $60 less than a Metabo 5 in.
: and seems to be every bit as good.
: So, for whatever my opinion is worth, I heartily endorse this little beast
: to any in the market for a better hand grinder.

: Happy grinding

: PS It uses the now standard 5/8-11 shaft thread , so it is compatible with
: most current attachments.

: @---------------------------------------------------------@
:                     Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

:                   Stagesmith Productions                                  
:                                           
:                  Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
:                
: *    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
:                         Renton, WA                                        
:    
: *"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
: @---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Didik)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:46:06 GMT

: Happy grinding

:                   Stagesmith Productions                                  
:

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 14 Apr 1995 00:49:44 -0400

Guy Burnham wrote;

>I agree on the usefulness of the 4 1/2 grinders.  What model is the
>Porter Cable?  I have a new Tool Crib of the North flyer but it doesn't
>show a PC unit.  It does have a Metabo 7015M for $129.95 (listed as 4
>1/2 inch) 

Guy:

The Porter Cable 5 in. grinder I 've fallen in love with is #7405.
By the way the 4-1/2 in. Metabo you mentioned  is also a good unit and is
the smallest 4-1/2 in. grinder I've used. The Metabo 5 in. is a true
workhorse but tends to cost around $170. I am pretty sure this PC grinder
is made by Metabo for PC . Why there is such a difference in cost is a bit
puzzling, since the PC unit costs under $120.

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication

---

From: [email-masked] (Guy Burnham)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:25:57 GMT

>and seems to be every bit as good.

Ernie:

--
--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--
Guy Burnham, Advanced Laserjet Operations, Hewlett Packard Co.  Inc.
[email-masked] 208(396-3355)

I WORK TO LIVE ... I LIVE FOR TRAINS, and OLD TRUCKS, and OLD TRACTORS and ..

Disclaimer: Don't you be the only one to take me seriously!  
--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--