Subject: Re: High speed bearings

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 06:17:45 GMT

Pierre Joubert ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi all

: I am building one of Kurt Schreckling's gas turbines and have come
: to the stage where I need to start thinking about bearings. I have odered

I replied before about the air bearing idea, but I'd like to know more about
the Kurt Schreckling gas turbine.  What size is this engine?  Is it for
model or larger aircraft?

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 17 Mar 1995 20:17:47 GMT

: I am building one of Kurt Schreckling's gas turbines and have come
: to the stage where I need to start thinking about bearings. I have odered
: some bearings from the U.K rated at 80 000 RPM which should do the job
: although I would rather get them locally (South Africa) . My question is what
: industry or application uses these small high speed bearings ? . 
: Size = 8 ID x 16 OD x 5  Speed 90 000RPM +

Have you thought about AIR bearings?  The compressor of the engine would be
a perfect source of compressed air, all you need is a small air pump for
starting, then the compressor would take over.