Subject: Re: COMPACT 8 QUESTION

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Wodtli)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 20:02:24 GMT

A fellow who bought one 6 months ago says it will do 8 thru 56 TPI and 
the USA distributor says it will do 4 thru 64 TPI.  This is OK, it won't 
do every thread listed in the Machinery Handbook, but I don't use ALL of 
those threads, just the more common ones.

Know what you mean about those cheap lathes, had one for a month and 
experienced the problems.  Thought I could solve then, but when I 
discovered the spindle threads were part way between 8 TPI and 3mm, I 
gave up.  Fortunately, the company offered to refund my money, so it was 
a free education.

Thanks for the comments on the lathe, I think I' get it.

>There are cheaper lathes on the market; many are copies of the Compact 8.

>
>I am *very* glad that I purchased the original; it is a fine well made, 
solid
>(for its size) tool. I can't believe that I made do with cheap lathes 
for so
>many years... (also the resale value is probably good; I wonder about 
those
>cheaper lathes; what is the resale value of those?)
>
>John Stewart
>[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Wodtli)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 20:02:24 GMT

solid
for so
those