Subject: Re: Spinning stainless steel

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 11 Apr 95 16:58:21 MDT

>CRS? (for us acronym impaired)

>From the FAQ:

23.  What is XYZ made of?

     3. Steels
              ...
        a. What is CRS?  Cold Rolled Steel.

        b. What is HRS?  Hot Rolled Steel.

        c. What is HSS?  High Speed Steel.

As for the annealing question, yes it's important, at least for copper,
but hopefully somebody else can address this re stainless steel.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 11 Apr 95 16:58:21 MDT

23.  What is XYZ made of?

     3. Steels
              ...

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 06:55:26 GMT

[email-masked] (Pierre Joubert) writes:

>Hi all ,

>I would like to spin some stainless steel @ 1mm thick.
>Does anybody know the process as I would like to do
>it the right way but at home on my lathe. I would also like to
>know what tool I should use to press the steel onto the mould.
>Do I heat the steel first ? Any help with this would be greatly 
>appreciated.

>Thanks 
>Pierre

Most metal spinning tools can be made from CRS.  Polish the working
end as best you can -- I have mirror finishes on my "good" tools --
and use a good bar soap for a lube.  Realize that you will get some
streaching of the metal as you spin it.  SS is harder to work than
other metals but practice in aluminum, copper, or brass will teach
you a lot.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Gellman)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 19:48:32 GMT

CRS? (for us acronym impaired)
Also, although I have never spun, from my experience with various forms
of SS stock I would have thought that a stock sheet of SS would have
some temper on it that would be wise to aneal away.

Jon Gellman		My computer is an old testament god,
[email-masked]		lots of rules and no mercy-Joseph Campell