Subject: Ferris Wheel info wanted

From: [email-masked] (Charles T. McCullough)
Date: 22 May 1995 23:54:09 GMT

To All:

Met a man (Chris Thompson, Garnavillo, Ia.) this weekend, (at the 
Usher's Ferry 18th Annual Antique Engine show, in Cedar Rapids, 
Iowa) who has built a miniture replica of, what he termed, the 
1st Merry-Go-Round. (He specifically delineated the difference 
between a Carousel (non-transportable) and a Merry-Go-Round (can 
be packed up and moved).)  

The original is in a museum (I didn't catch where) but he 
believes it was built by Parker Bros, of Wichita, Kansas.  
What he built is absolutely gorgeous!  About 6 feet in diameter,
lot'sa horses, and mirrors and lights!  Little 6 inch dolls on
the horses.  Really great!

Now to the point of this missive...

He wants to build a miniture replica of a Ferris Wheel.  At 
this point I don't think it matters which one it is a replica
of, but I believe he wants it to be of a mobile one.  Like the
traveling circuses use.  The ones you see set up in a mall
parking lot sometimes in the summer.

Does anyone know where to get technical information on them?  

Would there be a better forum than rec.crafts,metalworking?  

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------
 Charles T. McCullough
 ----------------------------------------------------------------
 This epistle does not necessarily represent the opinions of
 my employer, nor anyone else (unless stated otherwise).  
 ----------------------------------------------------------------
 Remember, computers are neither dumb nor intelligent,
 they're just plain MEAN!
 ----------------------------------------------------------------
                                    B)

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Naylor)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 13:48:27 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Charles T. McCullough) wrote:

-> To All:
-> 
-> Met a man (Chris Thompson, Garnavillo, Ia.) this weekend, (at the 
-> Usher's Ferry 18th Annual Antique Engine show, in Cedar Rapids, 
-> Iowa) who has built a miniture replica of, what he termed, the 
-> 1st Merry-Go-Round. (He specifically delineated the difference 
-> between a Carousel (non-transportable) and a Merry-Go-Round (can 
-> be packed up and moved).)  
-> 
-> The original is in a museum (I didn't catch where) but he 
-> believes it was built by Parker Bros, of Wichita, Kansas.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Parker Bros was ever a Wichita company.
They were in Lawrence Kansas, I think. A good friend of mine can tell you
about carousels, etc. Ask me for his e-mail address, if you like (I
haven't cleared "publishing" it here with him).
  
-> What he built is absolutely gorgeous!  About 6 feet in diameter,
-> lot'sa horses, and mirrors and lights!  Little 6 inch dolls on
-> the horses.  Really great!
-> 
-> Now to the point of this missive...
-> 
-> He wants to build a miniture replica of a Ferris Wheel.  At 
-> this point I don't think it matters which one it is a replica
-> of, but I believe he wants it to be of a mobile one.  Like the
-> traveling circuses use.  The ones you see set up in a mall
-> parking lot sometimes in the summer.
-> 
-> Does anyone know where to get technical information on them?  

Chance Industries of Wichita is one of the leading producers of portable
Ferris wheels. Their most popular model (for obvious reasons) is
self-contained on one semi-trailer and can be set up in just a few hours
by just a few good men. I don't know about how forthcoming they are about
providing data, but their snail-mail address is:

      Chance Industries, Inc.
      4219 Irving
      Wichita KS 67209

      Tel (316)942-7411
-> 
-> Would there be a better forum than rec.crafts,metalworking?  

Hey, they have to work a lot of metal to make one of those beauties!

-- 
Jim  Naylor                      ______ aging sentimentally--        
[email-masked]                     it's bound to be fatal. ______
Wichita, Kansas