Subject: Re: HSM articles in n parts

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 22 Mar 95 08:53:45 MST

In article <[email-masked]>, Flint Smith <[email-masked]> writes:
|>I just received my very first issue of Home Shop Machinist.
|>I was surprised to find that the articles have been divided
|>into a large number of portions.  Glancing through, I saw
|>a "part 6" and a "part 8".  At the rate of one issue each 
|>two months, these have been running for over a year!  This
|>seems excessive.

This is the main distinction between HSM and it's alter-ego, Projects
In Metal (PIM).  HSM often has multi-part projects, and PIM normally
has strictly one-part projects.  Also, PIM comes out in between the
HSM issues so it's not as long between "fixes".

|>I skimmed the "part 6" about making miniature C-clamps and it
|>seemed complete.  What was part 5, and how did it relate to 
|>part 6?  The "part 8" is definately a work in progress.

I don't have my issues handy; is the C-clamp one part of a series called
"Beginning Turning" or some such?  In this case, it's not a project but an
educational series.  The author felt that most HSM projects were fairly
advanced, and decided to do a series for beginners, starting with simple
operations such as turning.  So, while the series goes on and on, each
installment has been a complete project (so far!).  On the other hand,
the skeleton clock is an unusually long project, definitely advanced.

Jim

---

From: Flint Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 04:38:58 GMT

I just received my very first issue of Home Shop Machinist.
I was surprised to find that the articles have been divided
into a large number of portions.  Glancing through, I saw
a "part 6" and a "part 8".  At the rate of one issue each 
two months, these have been running for over a year!  This
seems excessive.

I skimmed the "part 6" about making miniature C-clamps and it
seemed complete.  What was part 5, and how did it relate to 
part 6?  The "part 8" is definately a work in progress.

One other thing, I think this month is March, but the cover of
the HSM says January/February.  Are thy always this late, or is
this a special service for new subscribers?

Flint