Subject: Re: Small Involute Gear Cutters

From: [email-masked] (Greg Lewis)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 03:42:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Daryl Bender) writes:
>Does anybody know of a source for small (64DP-128DP) involute gear cutters?
>I can only seem to find involutes down to 48DP. Anything smaller is
>cycloidal (for clocks) which are very depth sensitive. Since I have to
>fudge some of the pitch diameters I want involutes which are not depth
>sensitive. When I say fudge pitch diameters its only slightly, a 67T & 68T
>on one arbour meshing with a 71T & 70T on another arbour. These gears will
>rotate very slowly and have very little power. I have lots of gear catalogs
>from the FAQ but they only (or mainly) seem to do even numbers of teeth
>over 60. I'd love to just buy them but unfortunately I seem to need a lot
>of gears whose teeth are prime numbers and whose pitch diameters are
>fudged. In case your wondering I'm thinking about making an orrery like
>thing.
>
>Daryl 
>-- 
>Working but not speaking for BNR

Check the books by Kozo Hiraoka advertised in Live Steam (see the
FAQ). I don't remember which, but one of them (either the Climax or
the Heisler) shows you how to make your own gears using homemade
cutters. His instructions are very complete and well illustrated. The
ideas therein might do the trick.

___________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]      	   	     They don't
Photojournalism sequence      	   	     Call this place
Department of Mass Communication   	     An institution
     and Journalism 	      	   	     For nothing