Subject: Re: Silver soldering

From: [email-masked] (kirsten skiles)
Date: 8 Sep 1995 23:20:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Insect God) wrote:

> What would one use for silver soldering?  I think I need to know how to do
> that, but the only references I can find are for jewelry-size projects, and
> I don't know how relevant they are to the somewhat larger sculpture I'd be
> doing, pieces 6"-2' in various nonferrous metals.

---probably just oxy-acet. or propane-oxy.  It will be the same principle
as in jewelry except larger. The interesting thing will be heating all the
pieces well and evenly if you're going to silver solder.

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 8 Sep 1995 16:53:41 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, Insect God <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] (J. Kimberlin) speaks:
>>Generally, I like propane oxygen for a brazing flame with a propane-air 
>>burner heater for soaking heat.  This is for brazing not silver 
>>soldering, just to get the terminology straight.
>
>-Sheba

Plain old propane with a non-forced air torch head.  You can get a 
universal handle and several sizes of torch heads.  Really large size 
stuff such as a 120 lb copper live steam boiler need a lot of heat but 
are relatively easy to solder using a weed burner type propane torch for 
basic heat and a smaller propane-oxygen spot heat torch for local heat 
when you put on the silver solder.

Actually, soldering jewelry is far harder, IMHO, than the larger stuff.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Neidorff)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 02:12:55 GMT

James W Gourgoutis ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Myself and 2 friends want to build/modify bicycle frames. 

I can't answer many questions for you, but I can give some advice.
Get either or both of the following books:

The Paterek Manual for Bicycle Framebuilders by Tim Paterek
Published by Frame Builder' Guild, Rt. 2, Box 234, River Falls, WI  54022

Designing and Building Your Own Frameset
An Illustrated Guide For Teh Amateur Bicycle Builder
Richard P. Talbot, PE
(C) 1984 ISBN 0-9602418-3-3

The Paterek book is looseleaf form, so not as easy to get, but,
in my opinion, better.
--
Bob Neidorff; Unitrode Corporation  |  Internet: [email-masked]
7 Continental Blvd.                 |  Voice   : (US) 603-429-8541
Merrimack, NH  03054-0399 USA       |  FAX     : (US) 603-429-8564

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 11 Sep 1995 11:56:32 GMT

J. Kimberlin ([email-masked]) wrote:
: in on the subject of heat and brazing, I have used ordinary house gas 
: (methane) with air as preheat, ordinary house gas plus oxygen, propane 
: with compressed air, and propane with oxygen.  

: Generally, I like propane oxygen for a brazing flame with a propane-air 
: burner heater for soaking heat.  This is for brazing not silver 
: soldering, just to get the terminology straight.

: Ordinary house gas and air is hot enough for general glass blowing 
: (pyrex).  Quartz takes a little more heat and we use oxygen and house gas 
: for that.

: My personal prejudice says stay away from acetylene as it is costly and 

It depends on the application.  For large panels, the higher BTU of 
propane and natural gas would be akward.  With acetylene, the heat travel 
is minimized.

--
     _______    ______    _______
    |   _   |  |      |  |   _   |   [email-masked]
    |  |_|  |  |   _  |  |  |_|  |
    |   _  |   |  |_| |  |   _  |    ** the fingers that put the
    |  |_|  |  |      |  |  |_|  |          ice in your drinks
    |_______|  |______|  |_______|          clean the urinals!