Subject: Gasoline, was Re: Home made Rotex Punch look-alike

From: [email-masked] (J Klessig)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 20:35:23 GMT

[email-masked] (Alan Boyd) wrote:

>I GUESS FIDONET IS JUST A DROP IN THE BUCKET...
yup, a big drip, but its also a big bucket

>considering it all run by system operators that do this for free
>you should open your eyes the world has passed you all by....
>there are only 48967 system's in usa connected by fidonet in
>my nodelist, I don't list the others...and use netmail daily for
>business purposes, and the internet for business purposes...
>every day, you see every time some has one idea somebody

>why do you think you have access to the net, just to bitch and shout..
like you are doing
>it is a source of compiled information open to all . I guess you built
>atc micro tower back in late 70 to transmit you data to other at your
> own cost right....if it where not goverment opening up the net
>to commericl providers, 90% of us would not be here....
I don't think so, some would not be, others still would be, even
though it was a bigger hassle. Just like I have other access, but this
Cserve acct is presently the most convenient

>you talk about jerks....how about butts that some thing to say
>about everthing, or have to open there mouth and remove all
>doubt....nothing is off subject if you know what you talking about
>you seem to see the light, but my post was to mike....and his
>remarks to me personaly....not you or anyone else....
thats wata EMAIL is for, if you post it it's not personal or private.
(But then EMAIL in not all that private either)

>he can be rude others but, but i will not stand for it...
Except that it's okay when you are publicly rude

>>The "net" was not brought to life through commercialism.  It was developed
>>by the educational community through defense contracts with DARPA, and
>>was in fact originally called ARPAnet.
>> We had a hell of a time getting

>who is this we you speak of...
>provider's were tripping over each other to to get on-line
After and ONLY after the net, the "Internet" and the "Info Super
Highway" became big, popular, hot and often discussed topics.
Try finding a good reasonably priced high speed connection any where 5
years ago.

>>commercial entities to provide communication links at a reasonable cost,
>>and often we built our own private microwave systems because the
=
=
=
>>from group to group (there are specific misc.forsale groups for sales
>>blabber).

>my topics are just as important as mikes, and yours, and metal working
>is the topic......you nit pick.....get a real life....
ya, fer sure, and I noticed all the metal work discussion in this post
of yours (and of course this followup :-)

>I have probly more to offer this group then most,
then do so
>but my business come first
fine, and noble, but before you fire up that editor, calculate what it
will cost you in lost time to post yet another non topical flame
> and to many have replied
>asked to placed on mailing list for my services...
>you will just have to take it on the chin....for all it's worth

Jim Klessig, ETI

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Boyd)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 05:27:42 GMT

[email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick) wrote:
>
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Alan Boyd) writes:
>|>...
>|>mike do you realize that commericalizsm is the reason your
>|>able to even access the net....surely you don't think it brought to life
>|>so you can chit chat....about your home projects...
>
>We're getting off-topic, but I do feel this needs a response.  Alan knows
>little of which he speaks.

I GUESS FIDONET IS JUST A DROP IN THE BUCKET...
considering it all run by system operators that do this for free
you should open your eyes the world has passed you all by....
there are only 48967 system's in usa connected by fidonet in
my nodelist, I don't list the others...and use netmail daily for
business purposes, and the internet for business purposes...
every day, you see every time some has one idea somebody
makes it better......networks have been in existing for a long time
and many echo the conferance's or groups to the net from the
source....you can even pick up the feeds and have delivered
directly to your system with loging on....networking is not new...
it may be to you, networks are out there, you just have to know
where to find them, and usenet is one of the many thousand
that imports from other nets around the counrty...

that where the cross posting come from...

are you sure you know what said.....you better reflet back over it

and you don't have to comment on every post some makes you don't
to read every post....note the forgoten subject line.....

>commercial carriers could not compete.  Commercial access to wide area
>networks is a *very* new thing, now that somebody else has paid to
>set the whole damn thing up in the first place.
>
>As for chit chat.  This newsgroup is part of a wider entity called
>UseNet, which was originally a completely separate network from ARPAnet
>and used small computers and the telephone system.  It was in fact set
>up just so people can chit chat on various topics.  Do note that the
>"rec" in "rec.crafts.metalworking" stands for "recreational" i.e. for
>fun.  Just because commercial providers allow access, does not mean
>that commercials are welcome by a group's participants.  Posts which
>are off-topic, or unwelcome, invite impolite responses.  This varies

>
>And the commercial providers don't care if people chit chat, sell their
>wares, or indulge in flame wars.  All they care about is that the
>subscribers pay their bills, and sometimes they care about subscribers
>obeying their proper-usage rules (which includes a rule against posting
>advertisements to a large number of groups, and/or unrelated groups).
>
>However, there is no control to stop people.  In a free society, you are
>free to be a polite and respected member, and you are free to be a jerk
>or worse (this is meant simply as a statement, not an accusation).
>Nobody can stop you.
>
>Jim
you said it your self,..... enough said.....you treat people like you
want to be treated

I have probly more to offer this group then most,
but my business come first and to many have replied
asked to placed on mailing list for my services...
you will just have to take it on the chin....for all it's worth

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 17:00:54 -0700

>you will just have to take it on the chin....for all it's worth

Anybody know how to write code for a cancelbot?  We could loop him 10K 
replies and his server sysop would probably do him in.  Ideas?

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 11 Aug 95 10:13:28 MDT

Things are now well off-topic, but why stop when we're having so much fun?
At least the subject: line has changed a bit.

First, let's try to get back to the original problem.  I don't think the
original objections related to Alan's posting of the occasional list of
metalworking machinery like mills and lathes, and such.  I believe the
real problem started when he posted ads for fireplace grates and pokers.
Just because it's made of metal doesn't mean it is appropriate for
rec.crafts.metalworking.  We discuss metal *working*.  Ads for screens,
potato peelers, filing cabinets, automobiles, etc. are not welcome.
Ya got a Bridgeport?  Fine.  Ya got a log poker?  No thanks.

Now, continuing the drift a bit:

>I GUESS FIDONET IS JUST A DROP IN THE BUCKET..

Yes.

>provider's were tripping over each other to to get on-line
We = WestNet, one of the Internet segments consisting of several
Universities and colleges in the rocky mountain region.  Specifically
we, the University of Wyoming in Laramie, wanted a link better than the
56kb phone line we had, to link to our neighbor Colorado State University
in Fort Collins.  The phone company was asked, and we were told it was
impossible because they didn't have *any* high speed lines in the entire
state of Wyoming.  Pressed further, they ended up quoting a price that was
so high it was cheaper to buy, build, and maintain our own private
microwave system (I think it has three hops, four stations).  Only in the
last year or so did Sprint offer an attractive price on a high-speed (T1
or better, I don't remember its specs) substitute.  At the time we needed
it, providers were not interested in offering high-speed data lines.  Which
was the point I was trying to make, to counter your claim about providers
tripping over each other.  Commercialism did not build the net.
(oh, and this was in 1988/1989, not 1970)

>replies and his server sysop would probably do him in.  Ideas?

I would not condone this.  Flames die out eventually.  Please stand by.

And as I hope I pointed out at the top, the main objection seems to be
what he was trying to sell *in one case*.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Aug 1995 15:42:40 GMT

>   [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick) writes:
>  

I would like to see this thread get back to the Rotex Punch but I just want to say to Jim Kirkpatrick that the civilized way in which 
he has handled the abusive remarks of Alan Boyd should be congratulated. I admire your calm Jim, and I hope you are able to 
throw sand on the flames rather than oil. I have read this group for several months and made the odd contribution. In all that time 
I have never felt so badly about the tone of conversation as Mr. Boyd's postings have. If it were not for your example I suspect I 
would be leaping into the fray without fore thought and likely getting singed in the process. This IS a recreational forum. You 
have helped to keep it that way. I sincerely hope that Mr. Boyd will go and tend his business full time if he is not interested in the 
recreational end of metalworking.

Thank you

Jacob Henteleff

---

From: [email-masked] (WRitt)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 19:24:55 -0400

Didn't this thread begin with a guy who wanted to build a ROTEX type
punch? Where did  all the  soap boxes come from?

Bill Rittner