Subject: [For Sale] Aloris AXA-19 Knurler

From: [email-masked] (Doug White)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 95 01:07:29 GMT

I have one of Aloris's #19 Knurlers sized to fit their AXA size toolpost. 
It's about 10 years old, only used a few times, and doesn't fit my 
current lathe.  It's been taking up space in my tool cabinet that I can 
use for other things, so I've decided to sell it.

For those of you unfamiliar with this gadget (they aren't too common), I 
will attempt to describe it.  It has a fairly hefty frame, which includes 
the dovetail to mount on the toolpost, and a vertical bar.  Attached to 
the bar is a pair of movable 'jaws', each holding a knurling wheel.  The 
jaws are opened and closed with a knurled handwheel at the top of the 
bar.  The screw attached to the handwheel has opposing threads, so as one 
jaw moves up, the other moves down.  This way you can apply the knurling 
force on the top and bottom of the workpiece between the two jaws, 
relieving stress on the compound.  I'd guess the maximum capacity in this 
mode to be around 1.5" (I can check if anyone is serious about buying 
it).  Larger pieces can be knurled from the side in the conventional 
manner.

The current price in the MSC catalog (page 1700) is $184.  I will start 
the bidding at $100 (including shipping within cont. US).  The current 
model has a chrome crank handle on top instead of the knurled handwheel. 
 I seem to recall that a fair amount of force can be needed, even in 
aluminum, and that the handwheel has holes for a 'tommy bar' or hook type 
spanner (not included) to apply additional torque.  The only sign of use 
is that there is a residual 'wash' of aluminum dust in some of the inner 
corners around the knurls.

If anyone is interested, drop me an email and we'll discuss it.

Doug White
[email-masked]