Subject: Sculpture reproduction and colloidal silica binder

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Towers)
Date: 23 May 1995 21:46:40 GMT

Re brass sculptures:
I am trying to help a friend who is setting up an art school
in Jamaica. He needs to use colloidal silica binder for
ceramic shell casting. Specifically, he is looking at
using Remasol Lp-30 from the company REMEI in Utica, NY.

If anyone knows anything about the use of this product
or can suggest someone, please email me. 
With thanks, Jeff

---

From: [email-masked] (david reid)
Date: 25 May 1995 00:21:43 +0100

>or can suggest someone, please email me. 

Jeff

    Colloidal silica is made and sold by many companies 'round the world.
You will need the 30% grade. It's used in other processes besides metal
casting. Like paper coating and water treatment. There must be water
treatment plants in Jamaica. Try them first.

    By the way, I earn part of my living by setting up and teaching smallish
foundry at various art schools around the world. Have foundry, will travel.

                Have fun 

                    DR 

Invention/creativity

A mixture of curiousity, necessity, serindipity, persistence and preparedness,in
varying parts.

---

From: [email-masked] (BrnzCaster)
Date: 26 May 1995 08:37:14 -0400

Here is one good book I have ... it gives the basics for small setup.

Methods for Modern Sculptors
R.D. Young and R.A. Fennell
ISBN 0-9603744-0-X
(Available from Lindsay Publications, Inc.)

-------------------------------------
Winston W. Harness
Metal Casting Services
[email-masked] / [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (PeterWRowe)
Date: 26 May 1995 03:40:45 -0400

Re: small foundry and ceramic shell casting techniques...
Can someone refer me to a good book on the subject?  As a jeweler, I am
thoroughly familiar with commercial jewelry casting.  We've got a very
nice new Galoni medium frequency machine casting up to 6 x 8 flasks in
gold and silver etc.  But I'd like to fool around with silver and bronze
stuff that's a bit larger than that, and Haven't a clue where to start. 
Can't afford to go back to school yet again...   Any good books?

thanks.

Peter Rowe