Subject: Re: protective coating in alkaline media

From: [email-masked] (Barry Workman)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 03:31:55 GMT

[email-masked] (Dawn M. See) writes:

>Hello,

>   I'm trying to find a good protective coating for zinc and steel in an
>alkaline media (pH 9-14) to protect areas of my sample while conducting
>electrochemical corrosion tests.  The tests only take about a week, so the
>coating doesn't have to outlast the pyramids, just long enough to get the
>data.

>   We've found that fingernail polish works just fine in an acidic
>environment (I swear a guy found this out, not me :-)....), but even at a
>pH of 9 this coating is attacked and appears to be lifting off.  

>   Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated,

>                                                   Dawn

Have you tried any of the plastic wood finishes that are out
there?  Varathyne (r) tm or other similar products?
Deft makes a very good interior finish product but I doubt
it will do what you want.
-- 
    - Barry Workman

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Findeis (914-894-2593))
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 95 11:30:25 EDT

THE EPOXY AND PLASTISOL ALREADY POSTED ARE GOOD IDEAS, BUT YOU CAN ALSO
TRY "WORNOW" RESIST FROM DEXTER ELECTRONIC MATERIALS SINCE YOU CAN PAINT
IT ON LIKE THE NAIL POLISH (BY  THE WAY, NAIL POLISH IS PRETTY COMMON FOR THIS)
AND DEPENDING ON HOW ACCURATE YOU NEED TO BE THE TAPE IDEA DOES WORK WELL AS
LONG AS THE TEMPERATURE IS AMBIENT.  3M MAKES SEVERAL KINDS OF PLATING TAPE
(#1280 AND #1285) THAT WILL HOLD UP IN BASES OR ACIDS.  YOU SHOULD LET THEM
SIT FOR A DAY OR TWO TO REALLY STICK WELL BEFORE STARTING THE TEST.