Subject: Lincoln Weld-Pak 155 Good Deal?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Apr 1995 17:29:46 GMT

I am considering purchasing a Lincoln Weld-Pak 155 for recreational/home use.  I have always been 
interested in welding am looking to make my first buy.

Can anyone give me a critique on this particular welder?  Are there any other machines on the market with 
better performance and in the same price range?

Most of the stuff I'll be working I am sure will not be more than quarter-inch thick.  I am looking for a 
machine that will not leave me feeling like I just made a bad purchase.  Thanks in advance...

---

From: [email-masked] (Arlen)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 17:38:02 -0800

> machine that will not leave me feeling like I just made a bad purchase. 
Thanks in advance...

Someone had responded to my earlier request about people's experiences
with these/similar type welders. I believe someone said that the Hobart
Handler was a good one and that it's wire feed mechanism was better than
Lincoln's.
I looked at the 155 also and am very interested in finding out if you buy
one and  how you like it.  Like yourself,most all of my welding would be
1/4" or less.
Let me know what you find out. E-Mail
 Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Arlen)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 17:39:41 -0800

> machine that will not leave me feeling like I just made a bad purchase. 
Thanks in advance...

I hear that the Lincoln,s and

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 15 Apr 1995 22:46:54 -0400

The Lincoln 155 's not bad but the Hobart and Miller units are much better
built .
My pals who fix welders for a living put the Miller 130 and Hobart Handler
120 above the Lincoln 155. 
BTW the numbers in the welder names don't really mean that's how many amps
of output you'll get . All 3 of these are around 130 amp output max.
Whatever you do stay away from anything cheaper than the lincoln. If the
power diodes fry you want a real company around to get parts and service
from.
The diodes frying is the most common failure of baby migs. Mainly because
people try to weld too heavy a materiel for too long. Pay attention the
duty cycle . All 3 of these machines are 20% duty cycle . This means 
about 12-15 min. of welding per hour if you have it cranked to the max.
Longer if you have it turned down.
Hope this helps.

@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@