Subject: Help dressing grinding wheels

From: [email-masked] (Bob Harbour)
Date: 10 May 1995 14:39:36 GMT

Could somebody tell me how to dress a grinding wheel please? I have been 
using the wheel to grind tungstens for my tig machine and now when I 
start the bench grinder up, it rattles everything on the bench!

Thanks in advance
Bob Harbour
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 12 May 1995 17:50:49 GMT

--There is a third method and that involves using a diamond 
mounted in a steel rod, which is traversed (in a slot in the table) across 
the SIDE of the wheel, on grinders such as the Baldor, where the tool you are grinding needs to 
be flat. Advise you don't use the multiple spurs on this kind of grinder. 
Also, the 1x1x6" rosin "dresser" is a crud cleaner-outer for use on belt 
grinders, i.e. those belt sanders with the thin vertical belt.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas		:	Co-founder of the 
Voice: 805-968-7534		:	    SBSMEEBBQ
FAX:   805-562-8928		:	-Call about our Newsletter!
	--------Decks a-wash in a sea of words!!--------

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 10 May 1995 23:16:32 -0400

Grinding wheel dresser?

There is actually a tool for dressing wheels .
It looks like a bunch of spurs mounted on a handle.
The spur rawls spin and chip away the outer layer of the wheel as you run
it back and forth across the face of the wheel with the grinder running.
There is also a carborundum stick you can get to further smooth the face.
For heavy wheel dressing I use an old industrial diamond from Boeing
salvage.
The wheel dressers can be had at most hardware stores or industrial
suppliers.
good luck

@---------------------------------------------------------@
                    Ernie Leimkuhler                                      

                  Stagesmith Productions                                  
                                          
                 Custom Metal Fabrication                                 
               
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
                        Renton, WA                                        
   
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
@---------------------------------------------------------@

---

From: "Peter J. O'Leary" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 1995 18:20:18 GMT

Agreeing with the other posts on this thread -- a pedestal or bench grinder is not a precision   
machine.  If the wheel is so far out that it's shaking the bench, it is possible that it got   
knocked out of center with the shaft or arbor.  Check to see that it is tight.  The best way to   
true up a wheel that is this far out is to use the spur type dresser, commonly called a Desmond   
dresser.  Set it on the work rest and traverse it across the face of the wheel till it runs   
true.  The action crushes away the high spots on the wheel.  Use a lighter touch to finish it   
off.  A carborundum stick is good to touch it up or to take small grooves. 
 
Peter J. O'Leary 
Tool & Die Maker

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Metcalf)
Date: 11 May 1995 18:49:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>start the bench grinder up, it rattles everything on the bench!

Typically, the two most common methods are: 1. a wheel dressing stick 
which come in a 1x1x6 stick and the second method is 2. a Huntington 
dresser which is a handle wwith rotating set of blade on the end of the 
handle. Both methods are effective and cheap...and the applications are 
similiar - just apply against face of wheel until the bounce come out of 
the wheel.

If you access to a tool supplier...even sears, I think...they are both 
readily available.

I don't know if this will solve your vibration problem. Most bench 
grinders are not precision tools  and are poorly balanced. Vibration 
harmonics are the results with a light work area... you might want to add 
some weight to the table or bolt the table  to the floor.
Hope this helps.