Subject: Re: metal ball

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 19:47:13 GMT

Mark Bloemendaal ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello, world

: I'm searching for a light hollow metal ball that can be attracted by 
: magnetism. The ball must have a diameter of about 5 to 8 centimetre and 
: must be as light as possible.

I believe Small Parts Inc. in Florida, has what you need.  Their address
and phone # has been posted here recently.  If you don't have it, send me
E-mail and I will get it for you tonight.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Bloemendaal)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 15:46:41 GMT

Hello, world

I'm searching for a light hollow metal ball that can be attracted by 
magnetism. The ball must have a diameter of about 5 to 8 centimetre and 
must be as light as possible.

Does anyone know a manufactor that can make such a ball. Or has anyone an 
other idea to get this ball.

response to: [email-masked]

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Greetings
Alfons van Hallem

---

From: [email-masked] (ErnieLeim)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 02:08:26 -0500

Alfons van Hallem wrote;

>other idea to get this ball.

Contact a local metal spinning shop . They can spin the ball out of steel
in 2 halves  and then have them TIG-welded at the equator. I've done this
before and it work perfectly.
Good luck

***********************************************************
*                    Ernie Leimkuhler                     *
*                 Stagesmith Productions                  *              *
               Custom Metal Fabrication                 *                 
   
*    ABANA   SCA     AWS    USITT   IATSE local 15, 488   *
*                      Renton, WA                         *
*"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind" the bard  *
***********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Elson)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 05:40:48 GMT

: Mark Bloemendaal ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : Hello, world

: : I'm searching for a light hollow metal ball that can be attracted by 
: : magnetism. The ball must have a diameter of about 5 to 8 centimetre and 
: : must be as light as possible.

: I believe Small Parts Inc. in Florida, has what you need.  Their address
: and phone # has been posted here recently.  If you don't have it, send me
: E-mail and I will get it for you tonight.

Small parts, Inc. is at (US) 800-220-4242.  International callers can use
US 305-558-1255.

They call the items Stainless Steel Floats, Page 55 of their catalog.
Spherical floats are in 2", 3" and 4" diameters.
Tubular floats of 1.25" and 1.875" diameters are also available.

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Lamont)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 11:00:53 +0000

> > magnetism.

> They call the items Stainless Steel Floats, Page 55 of their catalog.

If they are austenitic stainless (18/8 typically) they will not be magnetic.
Martensitic stainless is magnetic, and generally has better machining and
mechanical properties, but it is not as corrosion resistant.

-- 
Charles Lamont