Subject: Re: source for pillow blocks ?

From: [email-masked] (Alden Hackmann)
Date: 26 Jul 1995 20:11:16 GMT

[email-masked] (Tom Gillespie) writes:

>I'm still working on gathering parts for the wood lathe I'm planning on 
>building.  (Using the plans in "FWW's Building & Modifying Machines").
>What I'm need now is a source for the 1" ball bearing
>self-aligning pillow blocks.  The hardware stores around here just don't
>carry anything that large.  Does anyone know of a source for these ?

Try your Yellow Pages under "Bearings".  If that doesn't work, try the 
Yeloow Pages of the nearest large city.  

Alden and Cali Hackmann
Olympic Instruments - makers of fine hurdy-gurdies
PO Box 166, Indianola WA 98342
360-297-7234 (that's right, 360)
[email-masked]

-- 
Alden F.M. Hackmann                        [email-masked]
Dept. of Pathology, University of Washington
"Clear analysis of any situation is frequently mistaken for pessimism."

---

From: Garry Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 20:17:18 -0400

Try a farm supply store or a tractor suopply store. Some of these carry a 
large array of this type of items.
: On 23 Jul 1995, Tom Gillespie wrote:

:> 
:P> Hi again,
:> 
:> I'm still working on gathering parts for the wood lathe I'm planning on 
;> building.  (Using the plans in "FWW's Building & Modifying Machines").
;> What I'm need now is a source for the 1" ball bearing
;> self-aligning pillow blocks.  The hardware stores around here just don't
;> carry anything that large.  Does anyone know of a source for these ?
;> 
;> Thanks,
;> --
;>  Tom Gillespie                                                 -   -
;>  Harris Semiconductor                                         | | | |
;>  Manufacturing Systems                                       _/\/\/\/
;>  Palm Bay, FL                                                 | | | |
;>  [email-masked]                                      _   _
;> 
;>  E Pluribus UNIX 
;> 
;>

---

From: [email-masked] (John Cooper)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 17:01:22 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tom Gillespie) writes:
>Hi again,

You should be able to get these at any local bearing supplier.  Be prepared
to pay rather inflated prices for a small quantity purchase.  I've hunted
around for a cheap source of pillow blocks about a year ago and found
places like Surplus Center carried oddball sizes (1-15/16" I.D. ?)
for ~$20/ea.  If you have a lathe (or access to one) then this shouldn't
be a problem.

Norther Hydraulics carries both pillow and flanged bearings in standard
English sizes.  Check the other machinist suppliers.  I recall there are
several that have cheap import bearings.

An inexpensive local source for larger bearings is replacement wheel
bearings at auto stores.  Granted, they're not housed pillow blocks but
cheap if you can machine a mounting for two bearings.

Another source I've come across is the friendly neighborhood machine
shop.  You may be able to get them to sell you some at their cost.
I've heard that stores that sell farm machinery in rural areas carry
all sorts of pillow block bearings, shafting, pulleys, etc.. though
I haven't personally verified this.

Good luck!

-john

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Edelman)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 18:58:50 GMT

Tom Gillespie ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Hi again,

: I'm still working on gathering parts for the wood lathe I'm planning on 
: building.  (Using the plans in "FWW's Building & Modifying Machines").
: What I'm need now is a source for the 1" ball bearing
: self-aligning pillow blocks.  The hardware stores around here just don't
: carry anything that large.  Does anyone know of a source for these ?

Lots of mail order sources have these. I recommend Kitts Tools in
Farmington Hills, Michigan. The address and phone number of their
mail-order operation is in the FAQ, I believe. I bought 4 3/4" pillow
blocks from them for a telescope mount project. Good prices for some
high-quality imports.

--mike