Subject: Re: chatter on cut off tools

From: PAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 95 20:49:54 -0500

<[email-masked]> writes:
 
>: >I;m wondering how to eliminate chatter on parting tools ? I have tried 
>: >every thing from slow speed to fast speed . Lots of cutting oil and no 
>: >cutting oil. Any answers?
 
what material are you trying to cut? Generally you want to use the slowest
spindle speed possible for High Speed Steel Parting Tools, and as with any
machininngoperation,when your tool is surrounded on 3 sides with the part, use
LOTS of oilI find that grin
ding a "Hook" in the upper face of the tool is also helpful. Choke the tool up
in the holder as far as is possible while still reaching the cutting depth.
Squareness of your tool to the centerline is also increasingly critical as the
distance of plunge inc
reases. If none of this works for you you may want to think about buying a
Carbide Parting Tool. They are about $60, adn are available from MSC. Good luck!
 
Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (RBuxton1)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 18:44:25 -0400

There is something else you may consider.  I have heard it said that
mounting a cut off tool behind the work cures this problem.  The cross
slide needs to have T slots in it in order to mount such a cut off tool. 
Most of us do not have lathes with these slots.  I recently purchased a
casting to replace the cross slide on my lathe that will allow me to mount
the cut off tool behind the work.  I wish I could say it is finished and
give you the results, but perhaps knowing about the process, you can ask
and see if someone has used the setup.
Good Luck!
Rick

---

From: PAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 95 12:32:02 -0500

Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>
>The one thing I learned real fast, though, is to put the tool just
>slightly below center.  When you get chatter in one of these baby's,
>you really get chatter.  Unfortunately, chatter destroys carbide.
 
Putting your tool below center helps with the chatter, and on aluminum it is
effective, but in steel , this tends to break off the corners of the carbide
too as you pass the centerline (Y Dimension) of the workpiece. You need to be
very close to center. A
"trick" method to achieve this is to place a 6" scale between
the outer diameter of your workpiece and the cutting edge of the tool. Bring
your tool against the scal with just anough pressure to hold the scal in place.
Is the scale vertical? adjust your Tol Height until it is. You can hit the
Centerline with amazing
accuracy this way, assuming that your cross-slide is not "Hollowed Out" from
wear. Try it! It works great for all tools!.