Subject: Re: Boatbuilding with exotic metals (and associated techniques)

From: [email-masked] (ponner)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 15:27:05 GMT

: Anybody know how to build a sailboat hull that would need essentially
: no maintenance for 1,000 years? :-)
: I am interested in obtaining information on boatbuilding with exotic
: metals (and associated techniques) such as titanium.
: Anybody have any interesting pointers or thoughts?
: Aaron

I remember a german book "Korrosion auf Yachten" where a test somewhere
in south america was reported. They compared various metals in their 
underwater performance; best was "monel" alloy (60% nickel, 40% copper
or so). Needed *no* maintenance for years! (Don't expect a test over 
the period you mention :-)). Better than having me looking up the exact
source will be that some of you english-speaking newsreaders search for
that test. Post everything here if you're successful or not. Hope my hints 
help.

-Ulrich Sikkema using his boss' account

---

From: [email-masked] (ponner)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 15:27:05 GMT