Subject: Source for solder mp >200C

From: William kaukler <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 1995 21:35:50 GMT

I am about to solder a device where one component needs to be soldered, 
not brazed, so that regular eutectic tin/lead solder can be used to 
attatch the second component.  
Brazing will deform the thin materials.  
I would prefer the solder be a paste (flux+solder).  I'd like a 
commercial source.  The materials I am soldering are merely phosphor 
bronze and brass, but wetting is important as well as low temperatures 
(<400C).
My vendors don't show melting ranges for the various solders they offer. 
Indium solder is too weak.  I suspect a silver-tin blend is appropriate 
but I need a paste form.  This is a one-time deal, so I need a small 
amount too.

Thank you.

-- 
William F. Kaukler, PhD., Met. & Mat. Sci.          phone 205-544-0693
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Center for Microgravity and Materials Research; Huntsville, AL 35899
and at NASA, Marshall Space Flight Center, Alabama 35812

---

From: [email-masked] (Ge Wang)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 13:04:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>bronze and brass, but wetting is important as well as low temperatures
The eutectic temperature for 63Sn37Pb is 183 C, 96.5Sn3.5Ag 221C, both are
available in hardware stores.  Also Au20Sn melts at 280C, if you are really
talking about step soldering.
Or, you can call Edison Welding Institute for some help at 614-486-9400.
--Ge
-- 
-----------------------------
Ge Wang, <http://kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu/~wang/gewang.html>

---

From: [email-masked] (PESims)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 19:13:59 -0400

>but I need a paste form.  This is a one-time deal, so I need a small 

William,

The Indium Corp. has a nice sampler set of solders and fluxes for about
$200.  Over the years I have found this kit to be a wise investment.  They
can (of course) be found in the Thomas Register.  I'm not sure if they
have a sampler of pastes, but they may.

Regards,

Paul