Subject: Genuine Damascus Steel

From: [email-masked] (Robert Cantilina)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 12:33:24 GMT

I have read the FAQ on Damascus Steel and still have a few questions.
	1. The Damascus steel in the faq descriptions was all pattern 
welded, does anyone make damascus steel from thermomechanically 
processing a single casting (the real stuff).
	2. Has anyone heard of the "Wadsworth-Sherby" recipe for making the 
original wootz as described in this months SAMPE journal?  If so, is this 
a viable recipe?
	3. I have someone who is willing to cast me wootz according to 
this recipe but I still need someone to fold it at 700'C, any suggestions.

I have good reason to believe that the proporties of the single cast 
material are much better than those of pattern welded, anyone disagree?

			Thanks,
			Robert Cantilina

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Jul 95 12:31:22 -0500

> material are much better than those of pattern welded, anyone disagree?

Al Pendray of Williston, FL (about 5 miles from my shop) makes wootz
and it's not easy.  He has been working with a metallurgical lab in
California which has (as of yet) been unable to duplicate Al's work
even with Al preparing the mixes, crucibles, etc. So...good luck.

As for properties, pattern welded steel is pretty but it ain't wootz.

Steve Bloom (Ironflower Forge and FABA Program Chair)

---

From: [email-masked] (CAPE FORGE)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 08:04:18 -0400

Get in touch with Al Pendry in Fla.  He knows as much about Wootz as
anyone today. If you need more  info let me know.
Regards, 
MIke de Punte
Cape Forge

---

From: [email-masked] (BrnzCaster)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 16:42:07 -0400

Mike ... and others:
Is Hank Knickmeyer here in Missouri online?
>From  what I've personally seen of his work, it looks to me he could be
called a "Grand Master" when it comes to damascus work.

Winston