Subject: book on crossbows

From: [email-masked] (Charles Rowe)
Date: 26 Jul 1995 12:09:45 -0400

I don't know much about crossbows, but in a recent book catalog
  I saw the following, which may be of interest to some of you:

         THE CROSSBOW by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey  Medieval and
         modern, military and sporting, its construction, history, 
         and management, with a treatise on the ballista and catapult
         of the ancients, and an appendix on the Turkish bow.  First
         published in 1903. 248 illustrations.  328 pages.  Imported.
          $29.95  
          item # 372544
            (any typos are mine)
           Available from 
                 
                   Edward R. Hamilton, Bookseller
                   Falls Village CT 06031-5000
              
                 I have no connection with 'em except as a customer,
                 blah, blah, etc......   
                  But, they are a nice outfit to deal with, good
                  prices, quick service and a flat shipping fee 
                  of $3.00 per order. If you don't like it, send it back.
                  No charge cards, dunno about export.  
                  They have a few metalworking and fix-it books, too.
                  free newspaper-like catalog.    
             
    my opinions! all mine!       Charlie       [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
Date: 28 Jul 1995 20:20:51 GMT

>                   Falls Village CT 06031-5000
I have had this book for more than 20 years. It is an excellent
introduction to the subject and well worth having if you're interested in
crossbows or siege engines. Payne-Galloway was one of those delightful
English eccentrics who actually built this stuff to try it out.

I have also ordered stuff from Hamilton and been satisfied with their service.

--RC