Subject: Help with Nickel plating

From: [email-masked] (AMUNEAL)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 15:00:51 GMT

I'm trying to locate any specifications or guidelines which detail 
Nickel plating, specifically nickel plating of copper. Is there a 
Society of Platers or any organization which I can contact? 

If anyone has any information, I woould greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris Zeth
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMUNEAL MANUFACTURING CORP. - 4737 Darrah Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19124    
(T) 215-535-3000   (F) 215-743-1715  - FOR ALL YOUR MAGNETIC SHIELDING NEEDS!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Waggener)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 21:56:56 GMT

>Chris Zeth

Contact Metals and Plastics Publications Inc. in NJ,  201-487-3700.
Ask for their current Metal Finishing Guidebook & Directory.  This
book will give you all the information you need on electroplating,
including formula's and processes.

Jim Waggener   [email-masked]
Fine Sterling Silver Restoration ~ Hollowware & Flatware
                  < [email-masked] >

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 22 May 1995 17:43:40 -0700

>If anyone has any information, I woould greatly appreciate it.

I don't know about a society of platers, etc., but there is a publication 
called *Metal Finishing*  It may be a magazine, but I have an old issue 
of the Guidebook and Directory issue.  This is published by Metals and 
Plastics Publications, Inc., One University Plaza, Hackensack, N. J. 
07601.  Phone is/was 201-487-3700.  If you try to contact them, I suggest 
you go thru information as my data is 12 years old.  The book I have is 
volume 81, so they have been around awhile.

For copper, you might consider electroless nickel if you do not need 
bright nickel plating.  Electroless nickel is relatively cheap and rather 
easy to do yourself, unless you need a production line.  I have done a 
few parts at a time in my laboratory, including a locomotive smokebox of 
5" OD by 6" long.  I also published a how-to article in *Live Steam* 
magazine back in the late 1970s on electroless nickel, not that I really 
know a lot about it technically.

JerryK

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Gellman)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 05:03:26 GMT

>If anyone has any information, I woould greatly appreciate it.

A friend of mine has gone through the whole process of learning to
plate nickel and it's difficult, expensive and toxic. He's got vats of
poisonous acids perpetually bubbling in his basement. I find the local
commercial plater pretty cost effective. BTW he didn't find any oracle
on the subject, and the refinements like shiny plating that doesn't peel
are hard to get info on.

Jon

Jon Gellman Effects
[email-masked]
NYC, NY