Subject: Black (oxide?) finish on aluminum?

From: [email-masked]@atlanta.com
Date: 11 Apr 1995 03:51:33 GMT

Some years ago I had a small stamped aluminum tool with a flat black finish 
on it.  I discovered that this finish was extremely hard when I had to drill a
hole in it.  I seem to recall that this coating was aluminum oxide (makes 
sense, as it's used on sandpaper...)  

Anyway, is it possible to apply this surface treatment in a home shop 
situation?,  If so, how (or point me to some good reference material.

Thanks in advance.

---

From: Bruce Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Apr 1995 17:06:07 GMT

> situation?,  If so, how (or point me to some good reference material.

This sounds like anodized alumninum. 

 There's been a discussion recently
on doing this, but I don't know whether the messages are still posted.
Maybe someone else can tell us where to find the archived messages.

Bruce Freeman

---

From: [email-masked] (James Kirkpatrick)
Date: 13 Apr 95 08:17:03 MDT

In article <[email-masked]>, Bruce Freeman <[email-masked]> writes:
|>
|>This sounds like anodized alumninum. 
|>
|> There's been a discussion recently
|>on doing this, but I don't know whether the messages are still posted.
|>Maybe someone else can tell us where to find the archived messages.

There is a discussion of anodizing in the FAQ, which is available at
plains.uwyo.edu in the METAL directory.  The archives of the newsgroup
are there as well.

Jim