Subject: Re: Need Sand blasting Help

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Sep 1995 01:24:17 GMT

Call TIP, they seem very helpful.

I adjusted tip size until I got to an acceptable duty cycle
on my air compressor.  I think the 1/8" is the correct size
but if I use it for more than about one day, the hole opens
up to the point my compressor is running continuously and
pressure is held around 75 psi.  Then the sand gets wet and
I start having to fiddle around with the blaster tank.

Thats Miller time!

Best regards,

Mike Rehmus

---

From: [email-masked] (R Glenn Stauffer)
Date: 11 Sep 1995 11:58:44 -0400

Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> I'd say one problem is this is a syphon blaster so you are not getting
> the most effective blast.  A pressure blaster (I use a TIP 99er) can
> darn near cut steel in half.  And quickly.  I had a syphon blaster before
> and it was about 1/10th as effective as the pressure blaster.
> 
> Might try a smaller tip if you can to keep the air pressure up which is
> what drives the sand velocity.

I use a TIP pressure blaster.  One question I have is what nozzle to use for
what size sand.  I can get everything from 000 to 0, but haven't found anything
that tells me what nozzle to use.  Up to now, I've used a 1/8, but that runs
too much air through and really goes through the sand in a hurry (00, if I
remember right).  I have a bag of fine sand and some smaller nozzles, but I
had some clogging problems which are probably due to residual larger sand sizes
trapped in the blaster.

If there is a chart that I can use to choose nozzle size/sand grade, I'd
appreciate the tip.

Thanks,

Glenn Stauffer