Subject: Re: Tools for milling stone

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Werby )
Date: 10 Aug 1995 18:37:32 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Vjekoslav Balas) writes: 
>
>Hi,
>This is not exactly about metal, but someone may be able to tell
>me what tools/bits for milling are used when milling stone.
>Purpose is to shape small (or large pieces) of stone into desired 
>shapes. (also any info on the spindle/speed would be appreciated)
>
>
>Best regards,
>Vjeko
>
>[email-masked]
>
>
>
[It depends on what kind of stone you are trying to mill. If you are
talking about limestone or softer stones, then tungsten carbide bits
will work; anything harder and you need to use diamond tooling, or at
least silicon carbide abrasives.]

            Andrew Werby - United Artworks

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Shockey)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 09:24:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Vjekoslav Balas) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Vjekoslav Balas)
>Subject: Tools for milling stone
>Date: 10 Aug 1995 09:32:02 GMT

>[email-masked]

I made a sort of fly cutter out of a piece of 3/4" rod. I bent the thing into 
an "ell", cross drilled one end and d&t fron the end into the cross hole for a 
set screw. Then, I just stuck a diamond tip wheel dresser insert into the 
thing and use it in the mill to reflat and dress my hand stones. Low RPM only, 
or I'd need to rebuild it with a counter weight.

I'm pretty sure this _isn't_ what you want to do, but, I thought it might be 
of some interest to you or others.

As someone else said, you probably need to see the folks in the lapidary 
department. Good luck!

--jim			[[email-masked]]
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
when the government's purposes are beneficient  . . .  the greatest
dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well
meaning but without understanding."
  	--Justice Louis Brandeis
	  Olmstead vs. United States, U. S. Supreme Court, 1928

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Feist)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 17:30:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andrew

> >shapes. (also any info on the spindle/speed would be appreciated)

Hi;

Well, I'm hardly an expert (having tried one time only), but to mill some
marble for a knife handle I used a regular HSS 1/2" end mill and ran about
850 RPM (about 110 SFPM).  By climb milling at a fairly slow feed (? done
by hand, I have no power feed) I was able to minimize edge chipping. 
Carbide would probably last longer, and other speeds/feeds may work better,
but hey, I got my knife handle parts out of it!  I finished it with a belt
sander with light cut pressure and finished with wet/dry by hand.

Hope this helps!
Paul Feist
Paladin Gun Repair
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:40:15 GMT

>shapes. (also any info on the spindle/speed would be appreciated)

Check with whoever does tombstones near you.  If you were in the US, I'd
tell you to take a trip out to the nearest big cemetery.  There are
usually one or two monument shops nearby.  Inside, you may find, as I did,
a guy casually carving out an angel or something out of granite with a big
old air-powered die grinder.  There isn't anything about stone these 
folks won't know.

                                   Mark Kinsler