Subject: Re: Grinding vs. sanding steel plate

From: [email-masked] (GMBoldi)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 05:18:26 -0400

>I'm taking a welding course and frequently have to grind off rust from
the
>mild steel plate so the E7018 will produce a smooth weld. The shop has
six
>pedistal grinders, but the wheels on all but one have glazed over and
>perform poorly. naturally everybody lines up behind the good grinder.

I don't weld but I do grind.  Somewhere arround your grinders is a dusty
unused
hand tool called a wheel dresser.  It has a longish handle with a bunch of

free spinning metal *stars* at the business end.  Its purpose is to erode
the 
grinding wheel below the *glazed* surface.  The *stars* and the wheel get
smaller
but the wheel is returned to usefullness.

Use the tool to *grind away* the outer metal clogged surface of the wheel
using
a side to side motion.  Hold the tool firmly and use the work support to
steady the tool.  This will allow you to produce a new *flat* surface and
prevent the tool
>from  jumping out of your hands.

Where a face shield because the *dirt* is going to fly.

Mark