Subject: Re: Interesting web resou

From: [email-masked] (Douglas Wiggins)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 06:49:00 GMT

DB:> I tried this and it didn't work.  However, dropping the "www." *did*

DB:The address worked for me as quoted. However when I got there they want you
DB:to fill out this form with your ID and passwords etc etc etc. Whats the
DB:point of that?

I am very glad that the Thomas Register is online, but it is very
scary when anyone asks for your passwords. There have been cases of
someone unscrupulous putting a seemingly valid option onto the net,
only to have it be just a trick to get the passwords of people who
might want to use that resource. I always give a different password
than my regular passwords for such things - something I will
remember, but not anything that I use elsewhere.

I am still looking for help in finding someone who can set me up to
make cast-metal screw-caps for small bottles (silver and/or bronze).
I need to know what kind of vacuum pump I need for the vacuum
casting and for removing the bubbles from the investment, and
generally need to know how to stay out of trouble.

Thank you, if you can help.

  -Douglas Wiggins [email-masked], Portland, Oregon
---
 * OLX 2.2 TD * Custom Scientific Glassblowing to Specifications

---

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Phillip Stewart)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 04:05:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Douglas Wiggins) writes:
>scary when anyone asks for your passwords.

>remember, but not anything that I use elsewhere.

Noooooo - don't ever use your account password, or any password you
use elsewhere. Even if _you_ don't care about security on a particular
resource (fer' instance - local BBS', seldom used non critical things),
admin types do care (like campus admins being worried about folks who
never change their password from their SS#. A couple hundred accounts
as such is a security risk.)

Now back to metalwork.
Nathan

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Hirsch)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 15:45:03 GMT

Looking for bearing in the 1" to 2" range for a bearing rest on a lathe.  Need many.  Any suggestions on the most economical source for 
bearing?  Thanks.  Scott Hirsch, [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Kelley Mascher)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 07:25:59 GMT

Ok, I can't take this thread anymore... and I can't resist it either.

The Thomas Register is NOT asking you for your account name and 
password. They simply want you to make one up for their security
purposes. Well, more likely so they won't try to get your 
mailing address more than once. Just use your imagination and
make up a name and password.

Sorry, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Kelley