Subject: Re: (SF Bay) Lasquad out of biz

From: [email-masked] (Joe Landau)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 03:46:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   [email-masked] (Peter Brooks) wrote:
>A note for those in the south SF bay area (sorry; this particular
>reader is brain damaged...):  Lasquad metals is out of business. 

Bad news indeed.  

A few weeks ago I stopped in Alan Steel, in the Redwood City / San Carlos 
area.  I was impressed at how much stuff they had.  Both metals (ferrous and 
non-ferrous) and machinery.  

--
Joseph R. Landau                                 [email-masked]
Applied Software Technology                          (408)370-2662
591 W. Hamilton Ave., #201
Campbell, CA 95008  USA                             Even Jove Nods

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brooks)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 00:06:13 GMT

A note for those in the south SF bay area (sorry; this particular
reader is brain damaged...):  Lasquad metals is out of business.  I
stopped by there today, and there seems to be a reasonable amount of
stock around, but there's a sign saying that the machinery is available
for sale.  (not that I saw any machinery, but I'd guess there's a
bandsaw and some materials handling stuff around.)  

Oh well, at least Sims-LMC usually has what I need.

Pete Brooks

---

From: [email-masked] (JCarducci)
Date: 24 May 1995 09:39:50 -0400

A super source for materials and mechanical odds and  ends is ALCO over in
San Leandro. They are a bit of a ride for you (and me) but with well
planned 
trips it is worth it. They are having problems of a different type but
still are a great
source for small ( and large) amounts of metals.

jc
Jerry Carducci
What abend, I didn't touch THAT routine! It's not my fault. I need another
cup of coffee!

---

From: David Josephson <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1995 23:30:23 GMT

>reader is brain damaged...):  Lasquad metals is out of business.  I

Yow, this is not pleasant news. So, for the benefit of those else of
us who frequented there, (a) are they having a blowout sale, (b)
where is the rest of the stock going, (c) where/what is Sims-LMC??

My other sources for material are Alan Steel and B&H in San Carlos,
and I don't like to go that far if I can avoid it. Other suggestions?

-- 
David Josephson / Josephson Engineering / San Jose CA / [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 23 May 1995 18:00:50 -0700

>Oh well, at least Sims-LMC usually has what I need.

I hadn't thought of Sims-LMC as a source of anything.  Perhaps they have 
more than one location - the one closest to me is about a half mile from 
here in Richmond.  I recycle metal there but see nothing much useful to 
me.  Of course they have useful stuff to others - artists and craftsmen 
in the Point Richmond area.

I usually go to Alco Metals at Davis St and Doolittle just south of the 
Oakland Airport.  They have trash, treasure, new and unusual.  There are 
several places like Alco in Redwood City and Fremont too.  What I 
haven't found is a decent place in Marin - close in to San Rafael.  Any 
hints from anyone??

JerryK

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 May 1995 15:48:44 GMT

The prices mentioned by Peter are out of date.  Steel is 0.30 a pound and I think 
the non-ferrous stuff has gone up in price also.

Best,

Mike Rehmus

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 1995 15:51:45 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

>Wow, the dealers here in Dallas sell scrap steel for 15 to 17 cents a pound.
>Are the local prices an aberation or what?

No aberation, here they are all that high or higher.  Why do you ask?  Actually, 
LSC's prices are pretty low.  It is easy to pay way higher.

BTW, the reason Lasquad, bless Karen's little heart, went out of business was a lack 
of business brought on by a lack of understanding on her part about how to serve 
customers and find more business.

Many times I stood beside her and watched a customer walk out because they needed 1 
foot of a 5 foot block of aluminum and she wouldn't cut it for them.  Then she would 
complain that everyone that came in couldn't find what they wanted!  Nice lady but 
strange.  Also, she only advertised in the local newspaper's classified ads.

Then, to cap it all off, the last Saturday she was in business, she was selling 
everything, aluminum, brass, bronze, and SS at $1.50 a pound.  Sunday she sold it at 
far less to another dealer.  Her helpers didn't understand that one either.

Best,
Mike Rehmus

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brooks)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 17:49:21 GMT

/ hpcc01:rec.crafts.metalworking / David Josephson <[email-masked]> /  4:30 pm  May 23, 1995 /

>where is the rest of the stock going, (c) where/what is Sims-LMC??
A)  Not from what I saw.  They were closed, but stock was sitting in
the shelves.  If they already had a blowout sale, they weren't picked
clean.
B)  Don't know.
C)  The Sims/LMC where I've been getting stock is at about 1500 S Monterey
Highway.  There are two LMC sites.  The northern one is where they'll buy
scrap, but the smaller (much more badly marked) one is a bit further
south, just past a motorcycle shop.  There they'll sell the better
stock.  they keep a bunch of hot-rolled (and some CRS) stock outside, but
they have a tolerable selection of aluminum, brass, and copper in their
warehouse.  (Oh yeah, they also have small Hot rolled stock in the
warehouse.  Need some 1" channel?  It's new, I think.)  (As far as I can
tell, they'll sell a mix of scrap, surplus metals, and whatever.  Some
aluminum 'bar stock' looked like the casing for a pneumatic widget.

The scrap steel goes for $0.20 a pound, with the copper, brass and aluminum
going for $1.75.  $10.00 minimum order.

Hours are from (about) 8:00 AM to 4:45 during th week, and to 1:45 on
Saturdays.

BTW, they will flamecut steel, but I'm not sure of the charge, if any.

Pete Brooks

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brooks)
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 19:52:17 GMT

/ hpcc01:rec.crafts.metalworking / Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]> /  8:48 am  May 26, 1995 /
>the non-ferrous stuff has gone up in price also.

No, the $0.20 was a typo... :-)  However, the prices for aluminum and brass are
valid (1.75 a pound) as of last week.  I don't know about copper, so far.

Pete Brooks