Subject: Re: Gun Barrel "Drilling�����

From: [email-masked] (JerryRei)
Date: 24 May 1995 07:43:51 -0400

Hi Roy,

I've recently retired and am planning to make miniature Colt Percussion
Pistols.  One of the things that I have to do is develop a way of drilling
and then rifleing barrels.  

I would appreciate any information you have regarding the above.

Many thanks.

Jerry

---

From: [email-masked] (Roy Parker)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 20:58:00 -0600

CR> > --I remember seeing an episode, possibly of The Woodwright's
CR> >Shop, wherein a demonstration of gun barrel-making was illustrated,
CR> In >this instance, a tube was created by wrapping a piece of (hot)
CR> metal >around a mandrel. The seam was welded by hammer-blows on the
CR> hot metal, >while it was around the mandrel. B4 it cooled too much,
CR> the completed >barrel was slid off of the mandrel. Can't recall what
CR> happened next...

This topic has been covered in detail in 'Muzzle Blasts' magazine, the 
monthly issue from the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, and in 
'Muzzle Loader' magazine published by Rebel Publishing. I have back 
copies of each. If you're interested in more info, e-mail me at 
[email-masked]. Will send info on each publication, and the 
specific articles if I can find my index.

 * RM 1.3 02784 * I guess it all depends on your reference system...

---

From: [email-masked] (John O. Kopf)
Date: 25 May 1995 04:05:20 GMT

There's a video tape put out by Colonial Williamsburg called "The
Gunsmith of Williamsburg" which describes the process in detail.

JK