Subject: Re: Charcoal, making it in tt the workshop

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 03:52:51 GMT

Ed Schutz ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I've made charcoal.  Briquetts are not really charcoal. Get a block of

I have been told that most briquettes are made from peach pits.  Don't	
know if this is true or not, but interesting none the less.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 08:20:45 -0700

>know if this is true or not, but interesting none the less.  
*** And I've been told that briquettes were originally thought up by
Henry Ford, as something useful to do with all the wood chips left over from
Model T production. And that the "Ford" in "Kingsford" refers to Henry.

                                    - Jerry Kaidor

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Edelman)
Date: 13 Jul 1995 15:45:32 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: Ed Schutz ([email-masked]) wrote:

: : I've made charcoal.  Briquetts are not really charcoal. Get a block of

: I have been told that most briquettes are made from peach pits.  Don't	
: know if this is true or not, but interesting none the less.  

Some cheaper brands are. I purchased a bag; didn't burn too well. I'm told
that the nice briquettes you buy in bags are mainly petrochemical in
origin. Real hardwood charcoal is generally labeled as such, and comes
in chunks.

--mike