Subject: Re: Clear polyurathane on brushed steel?

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 03:42:44 GMT

>Does anyone have any ideas why this wouldn't work? The cans of poly paint say 
>a primer should be used under it for rust prevention. does this mean just 
>clear would be vulnerable? I'm still looking for a great finish for steel 
>table legs.

Tell you what I saw:  Guy at a car show had an immaculately-restored 1955
Chevrolet, with mirrors underneath so you could see his handiwork, which 
was beautiful.  The gas tank looked like it was stainless steel, so I 
asked him if it it was.  Nope, sez he.  He said he polished the tank and 
then "clear-coated" it.  So this leads me to believe that perhaps a good 
finish to try for your brushed steel might be the clear-coat that's 
available in an auto paint store.  I think it needs all kinds of special 
solvents and stuff, but that gas tank looked great.

                                    Mark Kinsler

---

From: Mike Rehmus <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Aug 1995 01:32:59 GMT

I have used a couple of clear coats that are bulletproof and are designed to 
not only stop rust but can be painted directly over rust.

Bill Hirsch of Newark, N.J. is one of the suppliers.  This company can be 
reached at 800 828-2061 or (201) 642-2404.

Apparently this stuff is made out of much the same material as crazy glue. 
It cures by absorbing moisture and will 'suck' it right out of the rust
and prevent new moisture from penetrating to the rust.

I used it on a 1967 Cougar about 6 years ago.  A few drops that I spilled
on my driveway are still there, yellowed (this was clear), but still there.
They claim that this stuff is UV sensitive and will deteriorate.  It's lasted
longer than a factory 2-part paint job on my last new car!

This stuff is also very hard, a good gravel guard and difficult to sand or
otherwise mark up.  Etching primer will wrinkle when you paint over a cured
coat.

Hirsch calls it 'Miracle Paint'

You can find an equivalent at most car shows.

Best,

Mike Rehmus