Subject: Re: Brass pipe soldering

From: [email-masked] (James Foster x2912)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 15:07:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Stig Opdoehl) writes:
|> I'm in the process of rebarreling a paintgun. I need to solder a pipe (barrel) on top of
|> a second pipe (gun body). How should this assembly be alligned. 

Straight, I'd guess B^). Are you asking how it should be held in place? In soldering
musical instruments we had some specialized clamping fixtures, but the mainstay
was soft iron wire. I don't recall the gauge, but I'd guess around 20 or so. In this
case I'd put a loop around the pair of tubes every 2" or so and twist the ends snug
but not so tight you deform or dent the tubes. It dosen't take that much pressure
to hold them together. We used iron so in cases where the wire would run very close
to the solder seam we wouldn't run the risk of soldering the wire to the horn. 

|> On top of this double
|> pipe assembly a third pipe must be soldered vertically to the top pipe 9barrel). how can
|> this third pipe de soldered on without the heat un soldering the first pipe assembly
|> (barrel/body)? 

Put wet cloth strips along the body seam. Use a relatively hot flame to get the 
area up to soldering temperature quickly before too much heat spreads to the body.
Direct most of the flame at the base of the vertical tube. As soon as you're done
use a spray water bottle to cool the whole thing.  IMHO. YMMV.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stig Opdoehl)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:51:31 GMT

I'm in the process of rebarreling a paintgun. I need to solder a pipe (barrel) on top of
a second pipe (gun body). How should this assembly be alligned. On top of this double
pipe assembly a third pipe must be soldered vertically to the top pipe 9barrel). how can
this third pipe de soldered on without the heat un soldering the first pipe assembly
(barrel/body)? Does anybody have a source of brass pipes with a inner diameter of .68"
+ - 0,3mm? 
Please E mail me.
stig

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:14:26 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Stig Opdoehl) writes:
[...]>
>use a spray water bottle to cool the whole thing.  IMHO. YMMV.

Or you could use two solders with a reasonable difference in their melting
temperatures.

Seems to me I was always taught that it's best to let soldered joints cool
slowly, as the strength of the solder increases significantly over a period
of seconds or more after it solidifies. (On the other hand, I'm never
patient enough to do this when I'm sweating water pipes, and I've never had
a problem...)

                      ...when I sit down to write
Don Holly             my intentions are always blameless however deplorable
                      the ultimate effect of the act may turn out to be.
                                           --Joseph Conrad