Subject: WOODWEB UPDATE #15

From: [email-masked] (Michael Poster)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 03:26:17 GMT

WHAT'S NEW AT WOODWEB

WOODWEB UPDATE #15 - November 7th, 1995  

The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industry
[email-masked]    http://www.woodweb.com
RD 4 Box 265A
Montrose, PA 18801
voice:717-278-2696
fax:717-278-9107
---------------------------------------

There are a lot of new articles and information in Update #15, and
we've included a table of contents to help you recognize "what's new
at a glance." A brief description of each item follows the table of
contents. 
---------------------------------------

** New at the Industry Index: 
    - Donald Dean & Sons, Inc... Solid wood cabinet doors
    - Woods of the World...Woodworkers database
    - Tools Of The Trade...Free subscription
    - The Robert C. Byrd Hardwood Technology Center...State of the art
training center
    - Lewis Lumber Products...Lumber and millwork
    - A Cutting Edge Review...Over 60 manufacturer listings

** Finishing Techniques And Topics - Spraying advice for water base
clear coat

** The Wood Doctor's Rx - The first in a five part series on tooling

** Custom Woodworking Business Magazine:
    - A Selling System
    - Drums Up
    - Anticipating Trends

** Architectural Woodworking Institute - Color matching advice

** Wood & Wood Products Magazine:
    - What's In A Word?
    - Disposable PCD Tooling
    - Looking Good

** The Woodworker's Clinic - Effective drying techniques

** Now there is NO time. The TIME is NOW - motivational advice from
Jon Elvrum
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
New at the Industry Index:

** Donald Dean & Sons, Inc.

To evaluate the quality of a solid wood cabinet door, you have to be
able to see it. Donald Dean & Sons, Inc. understand this, and will
send you a sample door at no charge. Visit their site to learn more.

** Woods of the World

This computer software provides detailed information on over 900 wood
species that allows woodworkers to examine the common names, common
uses, distribution, environmental profile, physical and woodworking
properties, and mechanical values of all these woods. A down-loadable
demo is promised soon.

** Tools Of The Trade

A free quarterly magazine devoted to tools of the construction trades.
Topics include: applications, comparisons, ratings, reviews, buying
tips, safety advice, rigs and jigs, and industry insider news.

** The Robert C. Byrd Hardwood Technology Center 

A state-of-the-art facility located in West Virginia that combines the
latest in manufacturing equipment technology and training in one
location, focusing on: Education and Training, Application of New
Technologies, Time Sharing of Equipment for Production and
Demonstration, and Information Sharing. RCBHTC 
also offers technical assistance to the woodworking industry.

** Lewis Lumber Products

A supplier of hardwoods, softwoods, and imported exotics. The sound
forestry practices of its parent company insure a steady supply of
this natural resource. Moldings, and other millwork services are
available.

** A Cutting Edge Review 

Periodically, WOODWEB's Industry Index carries a topic specific review
of manufacturers and suppliers. In Update # 15, the focus is on
cutting tools, grinding machines and tooling accessories. Log on, and
you'll find over 60 companies listed.
------------------------------------------------------------------
** Finishing Techniques And Topics

Finishing columnist Rick Hill answers a woodworker's question about
problems encountered while spraying water based finish.
------------------------------------------------------------------
** The Wood Doctor's Rx

The beginning of this new series on Tooling discusses machining
defects and their solutions. Professor Wengert once again offers
detailed information in easy to understand language.
------------------------------------------------------------------
** Custom Woodworking Business Magazine

 - A Selling System 

This first in a five part series on how to develop and maintain a good
client base gives guidelines on prospecting for new customers.
 
 - Drums Up 

>From  humble beginnings in a Chicago barn, this Monroe, NC, company has
grown to be one of the world's best-known manufacturers of
high-quality percussion instruments.

 - Anticipating Trends

Florida cabinetmaker Ray Routh built his business with a handful of
tools, a keen sense of design and a knack for anticipating trends.
------------------------------------------------------------------
** Architectural Woodworking Institute

AWI columnist Greg Heuer offers advice to a woodworker on the
subjective subject of color matching glued up panels.
------------------------------------------------------------------
** Wood & Wood Products Magazine -

 - What's In A Word? 
Like most other major industries, the furniture business has its own
jargon. But do the terms have the same meaning to everyone who hears
them?

 - Disposable PCD Tooling

Once widely considered cost-prohibitive, polycrystalline diamond (PCD)
tooling is not only becoming more affordable through increasingly
efficient application of the material, but also through increased user
acceptance.

 - Looking Good 

Despite concerns, an overall positive outlook for 1995 pervades Wood &
Wood Products Eighth Annual Survey of Architectural Woodworkers and
Store Fixture Manufacturers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
** The Woodworker's Clinic

Doc Wengert discusses, and lists, a number of ways that addicted
woodworkers can dry out...their lumber, that is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
** Now there is NO time. The TIME is NOW!

#6 in the Jon Elvrum Series - "Tomorrow is already here for those who
began yesterday" If you think your business could be improved upon,
you should read, and heed, these words. Jon effectively dispels the
common rationalizations that befall woodworkers who need to take
action.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------

WOODWEB

The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industry
[email-masked]    http://www.woodweb.com
RD 4 Box 265A
Montrose, PA 18801
voice:717-278-2696
fax:717-278-9107
---------------------------------------