Subject: need info on energy-efficient DIY housing "kits"

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Wilson)
Date: 13 Nov 1996 03:37:07 GMT

Hi....  I'm thinking of building a house within a few years, but like 
most of us, my finances are limited.  Hence I'm looking into the various
alternatives to traditional stick-built housing....
I'm starting to get in brochures, catalogues and the like from the
manufacturers of geodesic domes, round houses, modular houses,
steel-framed, post-and beam and/or cedar sided houses....
Has anyone out there built something of this sort?
I'm looking for something smallish (1300 ft2 max), inexpensive, energy-
efficient, and fairly nice looking.
Anyone care to suggest a great company with a great product that you have
first-hand knowledge with?
I'm leaning toward round house kits at present- anyone built one?
Replies by e-mail please....

C.J. "frugal boy" Wilson
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Ken Finney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:22:07 GMT

> Replies by e-mail please....

Fine Homebuilding magazine has lots of ads that would be a start for 
you.

---

From: Robert Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:37:32 -0800

> Replies by e-mail please....

Why limit yourself to kits? Don't eliminate the possibility of strawbale 
construction. I have not yet built with this method but am in the 
planning stages. My background digging indicates really good energy 
characteristics. Check it out first then pursue it or eliminate it as an 
option.For starter point your browser at: 
http://www.strawhomes.com/sites/index.html

regards
rwm

---

From: "Fredrick Rea O'Keefe" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Nov 1996 05:46:30 GMT

What local restrictions are you under? What is the geology where you will
build (mountain, swamp, sand, soil, ...)? Underground homes are very energy
efficient, but humidity must be dealt with.

One product to consider from standpoints of reducing HVAC costs is the
"indoor storm window," The Winsulator from South Sun Energy Conservations.
It is a non-yellowing acrylic which is clear. It offers the benefits of
window tinting, of double pane thermal windows, and several other benefits,
Univ. of So. FL energy dept., NASA and DOE all recommend it highly. Call
813-933-1575 for info.

By the way, I'm also fascinated by alternative housing. I toured a geodesic
home, and was surprised at how small it appeared from the outside, but how
large from the inside! The sheathing was translucent fiberglass, and the
whole home was gently bathed with light during the day. This was in the
mountains of southern California.

Good luck on your dream.
Rick

----------

Robert Myers <[email-masked]> wrote in article
<[email-masked]>...
> Jeff Wilson wrote:
> > 
> > I'm looking into the various
> > alternatives to traditional stick-built housing ... <snip>
..inexpensive, energy-