Subject: Solar Demo at Reggae

From: [email-masked] (Donald Kulha)
Date: 8 Aug 1996 19:16:30 GMT

Doing Solar at Reggae on the River...

     For some time I've felt that it's important for us to demonstrate
to folks the usefulness of solar energy. Most of us using solar feel
that it is a practical, useful and elegant way to make power. For the
most part this perception isn't shared by the general public and solar
remains something of a mystery for them. I've noticed that when folks
are exposed to solar, when they see it working doing useful stuff, it
becomes real for them and they begin thinking about it as something they
can use. Well, last weekend an opportunity arose to take solar to the
people and in true "solar bozo" fashion I was there.

     Reggae on the River is an annual event bringing nearly 10,000 music
fans to Garberville on the Eel River in northern CA. A few weeks ago my
friend Mark came up with an extra ticket for the show and invited me to
come along. While we were planning the logistics for doing this we came
up with the idea of contacting the promoters and seeing if there wasn't
space to do a solar power demonstration. They were open to the idea so I
sent them copies of some handouts I'd prepared, a few pix of my van with
it's solar power system and a copy of the article in HP #54 about it.
The booth cordinator, a wonderful energetic gal named Chrissy, called me
and said that they liked the idea and would find me a space to set up at
the festival. Right on! I was jazzed...this would be fun!

     So much to do, so little time! Luckily the solar power system on/in
the van was looking and working great. The folks at Home Power had done
the Oregon Country Fair recently and provided me with the used table
copies of mags they had displayed there and some sub forms. Alternative
Energy Engineering offered the loan of a folding sun oven for the weekend
and to send folks their new catalog. Real Goods provided us with some
handouts about their Solar Living Center, a few copies of recent catalogs
and one of their new 9th edition sourcebooks. I had a few hundred copies
of each of my handouts printed including lists of solar energy product
and information resources, plans for a solar oven and a detailed sheet
explaining the power system in the van. That done I proceeded to load up
the van with tables, chairs, an awning and food for the long weekend. I
arrived at the festival to setup the day before the fun was to commence.
Chrissy gave us a great spot, right in front of the main gate where
thousands of folks would walk by and see the display.

     The next three days were filled with good music and good folks who
stopped by to chat and pick up info on solar. My festival neighbors and
I made good use of the solar oven, doing a community "stone soup" thing
cooking up lots of good food, filling the air with the smells of savory
stew. The van provided a demonstration of a complete solar electric
system, powered two fluorescent lights all night long and microwaved
many bags of popcorn. I spoke with hundreds of people, some who were
already doing solar but many of which had never seen solar performing.
Interestingly quite a few of them were from outside the U.S. and wanted
to implement solar power in their homes or for families abroad. The look
of delight on the faces of people who were realizing, many for the first
time, that solar power could meet their needs was ample repayment for
all the effort and expense I'd put into providing the display. Folks
were getting an education and some great information, AEE and Real Goods
would get some good referrals, my friends at HP would pick up a few
readers and I had a ball. Talk about your win-win-win situations.

     I'd really like to encourage folks to take solar to the people,
demonstrating it's viability and pointing them to good information and
sources of products. Information and product resources are important;
many of the folks I spoke to had wanted to use solar but hadn't been
able to find useful info or sources of products. If you think of it
you'll likely be able to think of many venues in which to demo solar
power and talk with folks about it. County and regional fairs can be
a good place as are some music festivals and other local events. Not
only are we showing folks that they can use solar to fill their energy
needs but we're also showing the technology to many who may have the
opportunity to vote for and support renewable energy development in
their community or state. I'm looking forward to and planning for my
next opportunity to take solar to the public. I believe we can make a
difference and that it's very much worth the effort.

DCK