Subject: Toy steam engines to generate 12VDC

From: [email-masked] (WallyKlbr)
Date: 6 Oct 1996 18:30:37 -0400

>I collect old Toy Stationary Steam Engines. 

Hey, I completely forgot about those! I had one when I was a kid! It used
the white, rectangular pellets for fuel. What is the range in horsepower
for the toys? The reason  I ask is that I want to put the engine to work.
I want to generate electricity (12v DC) using a steam engine. I can buy
systems at about $3000 to $5000 or make it for about $2000.
The horsepower of these systems ranges from 1/2 to about 5 hp. 

A toy engine would work just fine if I scale the generator down to its
size. For example, a solar panel only generates about 500ma. Assuming a
car generator creates 5 amps and has a dynamo that weighs 1 pound; a toy
generator dynamo would only weigh 0.1 pound or 1.6 ounces. 

Do you have sources for toy generators too? Especially ones designed to
work with the toy steam engines? I know that "slot car" racers (electric
toy cars that run on oval tracks) wind their own motors so materials to
wind a generator should be available too.

I would want to modify the toy steam engine fire box too. Instead of using
the white pellets, I would want to use conventional fuels : LP gas, fuel
oil, coal, wood, etc.

Wally

Source details :

 I have places pictures of
most of my engines ona Web page at:
http://www.atlantic.net/~marklinc/

I am aloways looking for more Engines to by and sources of information
about them.
Just Email any questiona you have and I will Try to answer them.
You can buy new Mamod Engines from England, Welisco Engines from
Germany, or Jensen Engines from the USA from:
David Robie
Box 414
So. Weymouth, MA 02190
617-335-5322

Tell him I sent you.  He also has spare parts form many old and new
Engines.  I think he charges $4.50 for a catalog of items he sales.

Robin Corsiglia		[email-masked]
Ocala, Fl