Subject: Sylvania Compact Fluorescent on Inverter

From: Q Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:56:56 -0700

I have discovered, to my dismay that the latest 6 tube 20 and 23 watt
Sylvania compact fluorescent bulbs do not work on modified sign wave
inverters. Tried them with Statpower, and Powerstar. Tried them with
grid power at the store and they worked fine.
-- 
Q Myers
http://www.teleport.com/~qmyers
Solar Powered in Central Oregon

---

From: Q Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 09:10:11 -0700

altavoz wrote:
> Q Myers wrote:
> > Solar Powered in Central Oregon++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 
> Modified sine wave means a square wave or a stepped square wave. These
> are problems if you need to reach 160 volts peak ( like the mains do).

Actually, the Powerstar does exceed 167 volts peak.

>  The statpower is a true sine wave that is synthesized at about 30khz

The Statpower is a "modified sign wave" just like the Powerstar.

> And it looks exactly like the line. So if you cant light a F' with them
> maybe the problem is not as simple as it seems.
> BTW i had a 48" F that ran cool then i used the ballast to drive a
> Phillips 9 watt and it gets HOT ! The Phillips tube draws less juice and
> puts out more light !!! Hows that for unintuitive !!

BTW, the Sylvania 4 tube cf lamps work fine on inverter power, have been
using them for years.