Subject: First Permaculture Design Course Online Begins in January

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Dec 1996 11:39:13 GMT

Short Version:  Permaculture Training Online Begins in January

Following a large positive response to our suggestion for permaculture
design training online, Elfin permaculture has developed a number of
programs.  These are:

*  Permaculture Design Course.
*  Permaculture Design Support for DYI Home Designers
*  Low Cost Options for Permaculture Training
*  Permaculture Design Clinic

PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE (PDC)
 This course reflects a dozen years of our experience in teaching the
Permaculture Design Course worldwide.  Along the way, we adapted many of
the details in this course incorporating what we learned from student
groups. We strive for a version of the one-room school house in which
students learn from students as well as from the teacher. This is
consistent with the permaculture principle of fully utilizing all
available resources that suit a given purpose.  

 THE FIRST ELFIN PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE ONLINE WILL BEGIN IN THE FIRST
WEEK OF JANUARY, 1997.

PDC CONTENT--Elfin Permaculture is adapting its three-week live
permaculture design course to serve as a correspondence course with an
email classroom. The program follows the same outline as our three week
standard Permaculture Design Course. We will revise it from time to time
to keep pace with revisions in the live design course or to adapt to the
special circumstances of internet communication. Until we have completed
the conversion of our course notes to the email format, you may get a good
idea of course content by ordering Yankee Permaculture Paper #24 from our
regular order form. 
 Section 1:  Introduction and Basic Principles
  a)  World ecological problems and interrelationships.
  b)  Principles of natural design.
  c)  Permaculture design concepts.
  d)  Classical landscapes.
  e)  Patterning, edges, edge effects.
  f)  The Permaculture Design Report
  g)  Principles of transformation (in process--will be included if
completed at the time--this is not part of ordinary permaculture design
courses.)
 Section 2:  Appropriate Technologies in Permaculture Design
  a)  Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass, etc.
  b)  Nutrient cycles--soil, microclimates, gardening methods, perennials,
tree crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock, "pest" management,
food storage, seed saving, cultivated systems, forests,  etc.
  c)  Water--impoundments, aquaculture, conservation, etc.
  d)   Buildings.
 Section 3:  Social permaculture.  Design Report.
  a)   Design for catastrophe.
  b)  Urban permaculture.
  c)  Bioregionalism.
  d)  Alternative economics.
  e)  Village development.
  f)  Final design reports and critiques.
  g)  Final evaluation.

The course will complete within six months.  Students will complete
reading assignments, participate in an email classroom, make at least one
formal presentation to the class, complete other assignments from time to
time, and prepare a permaculture design. Successful completion of class
requirements leads to permaculture certification.  

Enrollment is limited to 20 students.  The next online course will be
offered in about a year.

People with limited funds can monitor the course for a small fee.  There
are other plans for people who want to study permaculture at a faster or
slower rate.

For full details, including all financial terms, request the long version
of this announcement.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design
Courses, consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now
permaculture training in an email classroom. Copyright, 1996, Dan &
Cynthia Hemenway. [email-masked]  P.O. 2025, Ocala FL 3447-2025 USA.

We don't have time to rush.