Subject: Use of Waste paper

From: Garry Symes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 09:37:24 +0100

Does anybody use their old paper for heating their house/business by
burning it and generating electricity or heating water?

The amount of paper coming through our doors now must mean this could be
a cheap source of energy? anybody got ideas? Where is there a paper
burning stove or furnace?
-- 
Garry Symes

---

From: "Richard K. Downer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 14:17:51 GMT

> burning stove or furnace?

There was a story on television many (~20?) years ago about someone
who did just that. He had a P.O. box for his "normal" mail, and 
used his street address for junk mail. He subscribed to every junk
mail list he could find, and burned anything and everything mailed
to his street address. It's not a very efficient energy source: grow 
trees, cut them, turn them into paper, print the ads, mail them to 
you, then burn them. Wood isn't the most efficient heat as it is, 
but to turn it into paper and add all that handling on top of it...
Well, the energy bill is subsidized by the advertisements, so if
you're in this for the money it's doable, but not environmentally
sound. And it's a bit of work to shovel the ads into the furnace.
Not a good idea for very cold climates.
-- 
Rick Downer
[email-masked]

These opinions are not mine, they're Boeing's. Boeing paid me while I 
opined them, so Boeing owns them. But Boeing might not agree with them.

---

From: Garry Symes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 09:44:56 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, "Richard K. Downer"
<[email-masked]> writes
>Not a good idea for very cold climates.

Thanks for that. For the user it is free energy! I get tons of junk mail
and I am sure it could heat my house if there was an efficient and safe
way of using it. Somebody must know a way to get the most amount of heat
>from  the paper by burning it with something... or some other scheme to
get the maximum from the paper. Getting the heat from the Flue as well
like the new condensing boilers. Somebody came up with a way of creating
logs from paper and sold a kit to do that. I think they added water and
made a pulp but I am not sure.
-- 
Garry Symes