Subject: Propane or Natural Gas

From: "Joe Ellsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Dec 1996 02:25:10 GMT

We have organized a group purchase direct from the manufacturer at
WHOLESALE for the NORTHRIDGE VALVE.

This is a safety valve for NATURAL GAS or PROPANE (LPG) that installs next
to your gas meter and *Automatically shuts off the flow of gas into your
home* (if it measures a quake of 5.2 or higher).  This is fully automatic,
you don't have to arrange to be home during the next earthquake to shut off
the gas. <grin>

The valve is milled out of a solid block of T-6 aircraft aluminum and is
anodized to prevent corrosion. It has NO rubber gaskets or O-rings to dry
out and crack. It is milled to an accuracy of 1/25th of a millionth of an
inch tolerances. (The company also makes airplane parts for BOEING).

How it works:  A stainless steel ball balances on top of a pedestal inside
the valve. When the unit shakes in an earthquake greater than 5.2 (at your
home), the ball falls down and plugs a hole --- shutting off the flow of
gas. To reset, you merely push in a button and rotate the faceplate one
full turn ( a magnet
lifts the ball back up onto the pedestal.) No tools req'd. 

These units sell at our local Eagle Hardware for $200.00 (OUCH!!!!) It is
sold as a  Do-it-yourself install.

I contacted the manufacturer and have arranged with my neighborhood to go
in together on a group purchase.  We can get them for $150.00 factory
direct. These carry a LIFETIME WARRANTY (Original purchaser). The valve is
made by Seismic Safety Products Inc. in Wenatchee, WA.  They carry the
approval of the American Gas Assoc. as well as several California Agencies.
(Calif. is now making it code to install these on all new construction!) 

If you would like to participate, I can snail-mail you some literature.  

Contact Joe Ellsworth
7804 44th Ave. W.
Mukilteo, WA 98275

or  [email-masked]