Subject: Power Line Grief

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 02:32:53 GMT

I know this probably isn't the place to post the problem....maybe a
home improvement board but.....all help is definately appreciated.

New home (less than 1 yr)  200 amp electrical box.  2 gauge aluminum
to service, 4 gauge copper to box. 25 KVA Tranformer Outside.  (new)
I am the only one on the Xformer.

When Air Conditioner is turned on the lights of the whole house dim.
Outside or inside...it's doesn't matter.   The various lights are on
their own circuits,(depending on room) the A/C is on it's own circuit.
The A/C is using 10 gauge wire.  Most lights are using 14 gauge wire
except outside lights which use 12 gauge.  All lights dim and then
come right back up.  I have more capacity in my Xformer than I could
ever possibly use at once  (I have already had it upgraded from a
10KVA to the 25KVA type).  All screws in box have been tightened by an
electrician.  All circuits are losing some voltage...although it is
REALLY quick and comes back. (in fact too fast for a Fluke meter...but
the power company...before the change to the 25KVA Xformer, saw a
voltage drop of 20 volts in some cases with their test equipment (I
have the graphs to show this)   I am going to have 6 gauge copper put
out to the A/C but if this doesn't work I'm at the end of the rope. 

I have already had 6 light bulbs burn out.  Anyone have any ideas?  My
electrician doesn't seem to know what the problem is (and is of course
getting somewhat annoyed) 

Further....my ceiling fans cause a pop in my stereo system when they
are turned off. The stereo is on totally separate circuits.  Awhile
back some of the people in the newsgroup helped me on this subject but
alas I was never able to try the fixes....I got a different version of
Netscape...and the solution messages are gone. 

Direct e mail replies are appreciated as I can check my e mail from
work (I have to check newsgroups from home)

Thanks in advance. [email-masked]