Subject: Re: New ways to obtain electricity for free?? - 019.txt (0/1)

From: [email-masked] (QUIKSAND)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 01:58:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, ?????@?????.????? (Lobo) writes:
>On Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:24:20 GMT, [email-masked] (Sean Dotson)
>wrote:
>
>>[email-masked] (Energy Thief) wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone out there know any ways to fool the electric company and get
>>>free power?

   There is a type of electrical meter called a bypass meter.  It is 
very much possible to install, if you are or know an electrician, but
the electrical company may just get a little pissed.  They know that
a residence has no use for a bypass meter (assuming its a residence),
and when the meter reader comes, he/she will have to put a new meter
lock on the meter socket.  The bypass meter allows electricity to be
used without going through the meter reader.  If you just wanted to bypass
the meter youd be better off sticking two strips of parrallel metal bars
between the main buses on the inside of the meter socket.  I dont
suggest you do it though , its safer and easier to just pay.

---

From: xyz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 18:37:24 +1030

(Sorry but there aren't any video groups of note.)

Does anyone know what happens when one tries to copy a video from
one VCR player to another?  And what exactly causes the effects
(gliches)?

---

From: Scott Dudley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 16:02:14 -0500

> One phone socket and a 50 ohm resistor?

Hey, if you send electricity BACK to the electric copany, I think
they have to pay for it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Driscoll)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 02:51:21 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 05:51:15 GMT, ?????@?????.????? (Lobo) wrote:

>Could you possibly be thinking of the Tron Box??
>If all went right plans for it should be attached to this message.
>I have tried it, and it worked, after a few minor adjustments.
>Instead of using a 1/2 watt resistor I wold reccomend using two 25
>watt resistors, if you use 1/2 watt resistor the thing will melt in
>about 30 seconds. (I am talking from experience)
>Well, have fun and be carefull the voltage going through this thing
>CAN BE DEADLY.

I myself am looking at the Tron Box, but am puzzled. If these are Electrolytic's,
then what polarization should be used? What's the best value of Capacitor?
What value resistor should be used? The schem's say 20-300 ohm 1/2 watt.
What value fuse would work? How much savings can I expect with this device?
How does this device affect other appliances in the home? How the H*LL 
does this thing work?

---

From: [email-masked] (James Holden)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 16:22:23 GMT

jh

James Holden, Leicester, UK
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
http://www.ark.org/~jh/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 17:12:41 GMT

>jh

Try a Wind generator or solar panels.
If that doesn't work for you then bury an outdoor extention cord and
plug it in to your neighbours outdoor outlet.

---

From: ?????@?????.????? (Lobo)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 01:39:34 GMT

On Sat, 20 Jul 1996 02:51:21 GMT, [email-masked] (Joseph Driscoll)

>How does this device affect other appliances in the home? How the H*LL 
Ok, I use DC for my capacitors, I can't recommend a best value for the
capacitors because I haven't experimented, I just used a 50v .47UF
capacitor. Use 20-30 ohm resistor, but use MUCH MORE than 1/2 watt, if
you use half watt then like I said earlier, it will melt in a matter
of seconds, I use like 40 watt resistor. The value of the fuse depends
on the value on the fuses on your fuse box, add all the values of all
the fuses in your fuse box, then divide by 2, use that value or less.
I'm not sure how much savings you will get, it all depends how much
power is being used while you have this pluged in and also, it might
depends on the wireing of your house. This works by sending power back
through the wall and eventually to the power counter so that it will
slow down, and maybe if you are REALLY LUCKY it will go backwards. I
would reccomend running a few things that take up power so that the
circut can work up a good charge to go back through the wall, but
don't use too much electricity or else this will melt and\or burn to
hell. Also, the bigger the wattage on the resistor, the less hot it
will get, and less chance of melting.
Hope this clearded things up for you.

Lobo

---

From: The Mook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:59:36 -0500

<snip>
> one VCR player to another?  And what exactly causes the effects

	As far as the magnetic process of duplicating, I know little, but I do
know a little more about the "glitches".  Unless you have a professional
or studio VCR, when you record something, you aren't writing 100% of the
information to the new copy.  Some of the information is lost, but we
don't notice it because our TVs don't support a fine enough resolution
to make the missing information obvious.  When you copy a copy, you are
getting a percentage of a percentage.  As you dub from copy to copy, you
are gradually losing more and more info, that's why the copies get so
shitty.  Eventually the sound goes, then the color and finally the
picture.

***********************************************************************
                                    =:-/

           If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.
		
		http://www.cyberspc.mb.ca/~zuu551

***********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Driscoll)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 02:53:43 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Trestles)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 03:25:06 GMT

>>>Thanks in advance.......

If you have an old meter, you can actually flip the entire meter
upside down and run every electrical appliance in your house for a
couple of days.  But you've got to time this so the guy that checks
the meters doesn't find it in this position.  It's kind of cool
watching the meter fly backwards.  Make sure you don't turn it too far
back or they might get suspicious.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jason Larson)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 21:56:41 GMT

>Does anyone out there know any ways to fool the electric company and

An old girlfriends father was a "Revunue Protection Agent" for PG&E and he used to bring home
videos of him and his co-workers busting people for electricitly fraud. Keep in mind these ideas
all come from videos where the people were getting busted :)

1. If you have the old spin type meter you can drill a *very* small hole in the glass
covering, and prop a wire against the spining disk to stop it. This will stop all meter
readings. Do it every few evenings and it can greatly decrease your bill.

2. A magnet strategically placed on the meter can slow the meter and lead to small
bills. Once again carefull when you do it so it won't be noticed.

3. If you can get the meter open without the meter reader being able to tell you
can spin it backwards to reverse the advance. (Only works on some meters)

4. I saw one film where a guy had actually dug up the ground and tapped into
the neighbors power and then re-buried it. Not reccomeccomended for the inexperienced!  

Wow there sere so many but I am just drawing a blank here. I will keep thinking about it
and if I remember any really good ones I will post them. A couple words of advice:

1. Don't steal electricity if you are doing other illegal practices in your home. Many of the people
he busted were cultivating Marijuana and the only reason anyone found out was the electricity.

2. If you are stealing electricity and someone from the electric company calls saying they will
be coming by later for a routine inspection *DO NOT* run out and fix whatever you were doing to 
steal it. That was how this guy got all the people on tape and if you just sit home and then deny
everything it will be a lot easier to get off than if they get you on video fixing the problem.

Good luck and remember there are people out there trying to get you.
Isn't there always :)

---

From: JOHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:19:26 +0100

If you are near overhead HT pylons, bury a coil of wire and hey presto,
it works like a transformer.   To heat a greenhouse just join the two 
ends together.   Only problem is it can be dangerous, ie coil could 
melt etc so be careful

AND REMEMBER KIDDIES,   ELECTRICITY NEVER SAYS SORRY!

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kinsler )
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:49:24 GMT

Douglas P. McNutt <[email-masked]> wrote:
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>>It is illegal to do, but you can wrap a coil of wires around the feed to
>>your meter on the electric co. side of the meter.  This will produce the
>>same effect as a transformer. The more power you want to divert, the
>>more coils you use.  Attach the ends of the coils to whatever you want
>>to power.  Beware... the power will not be regulated, since you are
>>essentially using a make-shift transformer.  Also, many electric
>>companies still send meter readers to ensure that power is not being
>>stolen in this manner.

>
>If your design really were a transformer it would produce output
>proportional to the CURRENT in the wire meaning that a lot of paid for
>energy would be used.
>
>But the more important thing is that you have not built a transformer. There
>is no magnet linkage when you wrap wires around each other. Transformers use
>turns around an iron, or other magnetic material, core.

The first statement is correct, but the second one is not.  Lots of 
transformers don't have iron cores: at radio frequencies, an iron core 
won't change its flux fast enough to be of any use.  So they wind both 
coils around each other and a cardboard form.  Look in a radio tuner and 
you'll see some.  
  
  In order for the aforementioned power-theft trick to work, you'd have 
to be using a lot of metered power as well.  Also, because there isn't an 
iron core, you won't get much power transfer under any circumstances.  So 
what you'd succeed in building with all your effort would be a device 
which could maybe charge an electric toothbrush for free.  

                               Mark Kinsler

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 22:58:16 -0700

> back or they might get suspicious.
   I used to live in a mobil home park, each home had an outlet outside
for whatever reason. One could splice a line underground under cover
of night and have several to move around on so nobody gets wise.

---

From: iggy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 12:17:15 -0700

> >[email-masked]   [email-masked]

Gee you can afford an expensive computer but you can't pay your electric 
bill?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 21:52:04 -0500

> How does this device affect other appliances in the home? How the H*LL
------------ 
Introduction 
------------

The Tron Box works when the electrical load in your house is low,
like  at  night...   It reverses the phase on the line, canceling
out the opposite phase.

The voltage and frequency remain the same, so everything operates
as  normal, just with a reverse phase.  The reverse phase, in ef-
fect will cause the electric meter to run slower, and at  a  very
low consumption times, even backwards...

But remember to turn the thing off once and a  while,  and  don't
leave it on while in Hawaii...  or you'll be getting a 'Visit'...

--------- 
Materials 
---------

3  - .47UF Electrolytic Capacitators rated at a minimum of 50V 

1  - 1/2 Watt resistor, 20-30 ohm (Radio Shack 271-005) 

1  - 120 volt fuse or  circuit  breaker, Amp rating - 1/2 total 
     house current or less to protect your circuit breaker
     (RS 270-1310 2A Circuit breaker) - if it keeps blowing, use  
     higher  amp.   

1  - 120  volt  SPST switch, rated at total house current 
     (RS 275-324) 

1  - Power cord - a cut off extension cord, with plug and wire 

1  - Spool  of  at  least  20  ga. stranded wire or cut up power 
     cord for house current (RS 278-1304 or 278-1305) 

1  -  PC-board  (optional) (RS 270-291, includes box, below) 

1  - Insulated Electrical Box

  +---+---+----///----<->---+
  !   !   !                   !
  !   !   !                   +--A/C
 (=) (=) (=)
  !   !   !                   +--Source
  !   !   !                   !
  +---+---+---------[/]-------+

(=) Capacitators 
// Resistor 
<-> Fuse 
[/] Switch

----- 
Usage 
-----

Wire the circuit as shown in the diagram, with the three capacit-
ators  in  parallel,  using wire capable to handle 120 volts - at
least 20 ga.  stranded or solid (if you can work with  it).   Put
the    resistor,    fuse,    and    switch    into   the  circuit
serieswise.  Secure project into the insulated box,  connect  the
power  cord  to  the  leads and plug into an A/C source.  Set the
switch to on...

Have phun...

---

From: "Richard K. Downer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 21:56:17 GMT

> all come from videos where the people were getting busted :)
[snip]

Just curious, but what tipped off the electric company? The reason I 
ask is that we built a new house with (it turns out) a leaking heat-
pump. Our auxillary heat was on constantly last year. We got a HUGE
electric bill, called the furnace guys, and they "fixed" it. Two 
months later (we're billed every other month) another HUGE bill. Call
the furnace guys, they "fix" it again. Long story short: third time
was a charm (it pains me to think of the freon that leaked out in the
meantime), and this year our electricity bills are half what they
were last year. Does a sudden 50% drop in usage mean I might be a 
target for the electricity police?
-- 
Rick Downer
[email-masked]

These opinions are not mine, they're Boeing's. Boeing paid me while I 
opined them, so Boeing owns them. But Boeing might not agree with them.

---

From: [email-masked] (ZoMbiE)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:22:49 GMT

>Does anyone out there know any ways to fool the electric company and get

Yeah.. you have split the wire that going in to the meterbox from the
electric company.. i think it 'll work..

It worked back in asia. hehe.. never paid for electricity there.. 

onetime someone dig throught the gound and split the main power line
to his house by him self.. he never got caught.. :)

---

From: [email-masked] (ZoMbiE)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:28:09 GMT

>Does anyone out there know any ways to fool the electric company and get

One other way is if you have old meter and the disc that trun is metal
just put a maganac there.. it will slow down the disc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Al Bonnyman)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:41:18 -0500

>target for the electricity police?

Your drop in usage will likely trigger a flag in the power company's
billing software. This sort of thing happens frequently. I wouldn't worry
about the "electricity police". I have worked with these people for a
while sellling them test equipment and they are only interested in real
thieves.

Probably they'll look at your current usage, see it's normal and not worry
any more. They may have the meter reader swap out meters and check the
calibration next time he/she makes their routine meter reading visit. If
they still suspect something, they may put a meter checking device on the
line upstream of your house for a few weeks, which would also vindicate
you.

They don't break down doors without a warrant and they don't conduct any
surveillances other than the very passive stuff above unless they have
very strong grounds to suspect you, which they won't in this case.

-- 
Al Bonnyman -- [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (CRYLUX)
Date: 27 Jul 1996 07:07:45 GMT

Richard K. Downer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: 
: Just curious, but what tipped off the electric company? The reason I 
: ask is that we built a new house with (it turns out) a leaking heat-
: pump. Our auxillary heat was on constantly last year. We got a HUGE
: electric bill, called the furnace guys, and they "fixed" it. Two 
: months later (we're billed every other month) another HUGE bill. Call
: the furnace guys, they "fix" it again. Long story short: third time
: was a charm (it pains me to think of the freon that leaked out in the
: meantime), and this year our electricity bills are half what they
: were last year. Does a sudden 50% drop in usage mean I might be a 
: target for the electricity police?
: -- 
I would guess that is how the would work it also compare
power useage to the av as well I would guess.

pcdolding
-- 
  _____                                    _____
 /     \                                  /     \
| () () |    [email-masked]    | () () |
 \  ^  /  ___  __  _   _ _    _   _ _   _ \  ^  /
  |||||  |    |__|  \_/  |    |   |  \_/   |||||
  |||||  |___ | \    |   |___ |___| _/ \_  |||||

---

From: [email-masked] (r)
Date: 27 Jul 1996 17:04:11 GMT

>
>You may recall that some years ago, a new light bulb was marketed that
>used far less POWER than normal hot filament bulbs.   Part of the reason
>for this (so I believe) is that the Voltage and Current in the circuit
>are not exactly in phase. Since the meter only meters the product of AV
>(watts) the power consumed is slightly greater than the power metered.
>
>
>EVEN IF this is actually the case, the saving is minor.
>
>My knowledge of this subject is limited., my degree included only a 1/6
>part of analogue/digital electronics, but.....who knows, I am sure
>someone can confirm or deny
>
	Your power meter measures true power in watts. Any current that is 
not in phase with the voltage delivers no power to your system. Power supply
companies don't like low power factors (out of phase current) because the
cables carrying the current must be thicker to avoid undue voltage drop.

	Large plants use power factor correction techniques to avoid a
hefty charge for having a low power factor.

	Fluorescent lamps are much more efficient than filament lamps in 
emitting light. A 40 W fluorescent tube give out as much light as a 100 W
incandescent lamp.

---

From: [email-masked] (Owen Evans)
Date: 28 Jul 1996 12:35:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>
> >
> >Does anyone out there know any ways to fool the electric company and
>
I remember many years ago in a small country town an aquaintance had a 
meter without the customary lead seal on it. He had the thing open and we 
were pondering ways of slowing the thing down. After watching for a 
minute I reached in and simply turned back a dial hand. I believe most 
people cheat by tapping the expencise stuff like bar heaters into the ac 
before the meter. An electrician I knew had bar heaters going 24 hours a 
day! But seriously, when you get caught, remember I told you first that 
stealing is a crime and the courts will show no mercy!

OBE

---

From: [email-masked] (W DURY)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 96 09:57:51 EST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>leave it on while in Hawaii...  or you'll be getting a 'Visit'...

I dont unstand why you dont just get an electron magnitic reversal vachum.
simply unplug the house meter and install accross the line clips useing the
alligator clips, reinstall the meter and turn the device on.
the vacuum will suck up all the electrons that cause the meter to spin

It was developed right after the electric T.V annt.   the one that you plugged into the wall
and plugged your TV set into.    right after the mini satalight dish that sits on
the top of your tv set.

I think I can get the plans for this if anyohne is interested

---

From: [email-masked] (W DURY)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 07:40:17 EST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...

>minute I reached in and simply turned back a dial hand. 

I am an Electrican and get called out often where I see such things.
One person who tampered with the meter didnt get caught he got worse.
You see the electric co could not PROVE he was tampering with the meter when
it showed he had not consumed any electricity  and in fact he somehow "Installed"
electricity back into the system so they concluded that the meter had spun
"ALL THE WAY AROUND" and back. his electric bill was unbelievable and there
was nothing he could do but pay it... if he opened his mouth he would have
convicted himself of stealing

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Shepherd)
Date: 26 Jul 1996 18:58:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Dlehmicke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Maybe no one cares but me, but I can think of no faster way to discredit
>this important Usegroup, and maybe more importantly, damage the
>"homepower" movement than to have a bunch of (your insult here) post
>methods and ideas for breaking the law.  
> < stuff deleted >

First, I agree with you totally.  This is stealing no matter how you look at
it.  Just because it is a large corporation does not mean it hurts people
either.

However, if you look at these postings, they are all cross posted from
alt.hacker and alt.2600 (another hacker group).  I doubt any of the postings
originate because of alt.energy.homepower readers such as you or me.

Also, this is an alt.* group, which means that there is no "administrator".
Anyone can create an alt news group.  In fact it is fairly easy.  The closest
thing you could do is to complain to the poster's administrator.
Unfortunately, this will also be fairly impossible.  Most of the hackers
post anonymously, routing each post through several machines, usually in
several different countries.  This is also easy to do.  Even if the news
group was moderated, it is very easy to bypass the moderator.  You can see
effects of this by looking at the spam that shows up even in moderated news
groups.

Yelling at the readers of this forum is like condemning the choir.  Your
anger would be better vented toward the other news groups.  However, you may
get flamed (or worse) as a result.

I'd recommend using your news reader's thread-kill features (assuming you
have them) so that you will not have to read these posts.

Again, I share your opinion.  I have spent a lot of money on photovoltaics,
inverters, etc. in order to be energy independent.  However, the people in
this group are not the ones to complain to.

Sincerely,

Bob Shepherd

---

From: [email-masked] (John Posner)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:22:02 -0800

> stealing is a crime and the courts will show no mercy!

An acquaintance tells me he can cut the wire on the lead seal, remove the
meter and replace it upside down so that it runs backwards.  Before the
meter-reader comes to read the meter, turn the meter rightside up again.  

He claims to be able to reattach the lead seal wire so that it will pass
the "tug-test".  I've not done this and my acquaintance no longer does but
for awhile, this was how he made a living doing it for other people.

Blessings,
   John Posner

---

From: ?????@?????.????? (Lobo)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 01:59:36 GMT

>I think I can get the plans for this if anyohne is interested
I am interested, please post plans if you can find them.

Thax
Lobo

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 31 Jul 1996 04:11:02 GMT

Alt.Energy.Homepower is for the discussion of ALTERNATIVE forms of 
GENERATING and USING energy (NOT STEALING IT (which is extremely lame in 
the 1st and last place)), as in that which relates to the HOME POWER 
MAGAZINE!!!

  Idiots, asses and no-brainers who assume that a groupname containing 
homepower is a place for discussing how to STEAL can just go elsewhere.  
Not to mention that most people who try stealing power more often than 
not end up 6 feet under as they find out what it is like to be the short 
between power and the ground (and lacking a cartoons ability to just get 
back up again).

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 31 Jul 1996 04:12:44 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 31 Jul 1996 04:13:42 GMT

---

From: "Richard (Sven) Engblom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 20:54:00 PDT

In Article<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> writes:
> Path: news2.epix.net!uunet!in2.uu.net!hunter.premier.net!news.mathworks.com!newsfeed.internetmci.com!news.zeitgeist.net!vnetnews.value.net!usenet
> From: [email-masked] (ZoMbiE)
> Newsgroups: alt.energy,alt.energy.homepower,alt.2600,alt.2600.hz,alt.hacker
> Subject: Re: New ways to obtain electricity for free??
> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:28:09 GMT
> Organization: Value Net Internetwork Services Inc.
> Lines: 8
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: k139.value.net
> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent .99e/16.227
> Xref: news2.epix.net alt.energy.homepower:57 alt.2600:207291 
alt.hacker:10330
> just put a maganac there.. it will slow down the disc.

Just be sure you beat the meter reader to the meter each month to remove the 
magnet.  Otherwise, the law is clear and swift.

---

From: "Richard (Sven) Engblom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 20:56:10 PDT

In Article<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> writes:
> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:22:49 GMT
> Lines: 16
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Xref: news2.epix.net alt.energy.homepower:56 alt.2600:207290 alt.hacker:10329
> 
Also, if you work on the incoming hot line be sure to wear insulated gloves.  
Can be a bit of a shock getting across the hot lead.

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 2 Aug 1996 15:21:47 GMT

Richard (Sven) Engblom ([email-masked]) wrote:
  Alt.Energy.Homepower is for the discussion of ALTERNATIVE forms of 
GENERATING and USING energy (NOT STEALING IT (which is extremely lame in 
the 1st and last place)), as in that which relates to the HOME POWER 
MAGAZINE!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 2 Aug 1996 15:22:35 GMT

: In Article<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> writes:

---

From: The Mook <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 17:44:08 -0500

>    John Posner

	You live in California, why the hell don't you make yourself, or buy,
some solar panels, and run the juice through an inverter?  There was an
article on here not too long ago that was talking about the very thing!

---

From: Carlos Portela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:27:56 -0700

> One person who tampered with the meter didnt get caught he got worse.

Please post your messages on how to use grid power to
these newsgroups:

alt.engineering.electrical
misc.industry.utilities.general
sci.engr.electrical.compliance

This group (alt.energy.homepower) is for homepower systems,
not grid systems.  Calling grid power "homepower" is like
calling Budweiser "homebrew" because you can drink it at home.

Thanks.

---

From: Carlos Portela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:17:31 -0700

> I am interested, please post plans if you can find them.

No thanks!  Don't post this stuff in the homepower newsgroup.
We're interested in creating homepower, not using grid power.
Post your info. to:

Or start a group called alt.electricity.grid.usage

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 2 Aug 1996 15:23:30 GMT

kique ([email-masked]) wrote:
  Alt.Energy.Homepower is for the discussion of ALTERNATIVE forms of 
GENERATING and USING energy (NOT STEALING IT (which is extremely lame in 
the 1st and last place)), as in that which relates to the HOME POWER 
MAGAZINE!!!

---

From: Carlos Portela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:27:17 -0700

misc.industry.utilities

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (kique)
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 12:49:30 GMT

>I think I can get the plans for this if anyohne is interested

I'm interesting too, please send plans to me.

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 3 Aug 1996 16:45:11 GMT

Carlos Portela ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Lobo wrote:
: > >
: > >I think I can get the plans for this if anyohne is interested
: > I am interested, please post plans if you can find them.
: 
: No thanks!  Don't post this stuff in the homepower newsgroup.
: We're interested in creating homepower, not using grid power.
: Post your info. to:
: 
: alt.engineering.electrical
: misc.industry.utilities.general
: sci.engr.electrical.compliance
: 
: Or start a group called alt.electricity.grid.usage

  Actually it should be named...

alt.electricity.grid.stealing.by.idiots

  and to the idiot who keeps posting that we originated these idiotic 
threads, take a look at the bloody header you punking idiot before 
accusing what you obviously do not comprehend!  Deal with the originators 
of these stupid threads, NOT with those who are dealing/responding to them!

---

From: [email-masked] (Serial Port Killer)
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 17:34:05 GMT

>article on here not too long ago that was talking about the very thing!

AC line meters operate on a standard AC motor - it runs in the same
direction no matter which way you connect the leads.

People who try to save money on electric bills *disconnect* the meter
temporarily. Reversing the polarity is total bullshit.

Why not stick to "hacking" computers?  All this theft unrelated to
computers is not "hacking" - just petty theft.

There must be a group better suited to these pursuits - how about
"alt.loser.criminal"?  If not, get one started right away, so we can
just discuss hacking *computers* in these groups!

All this talk about lock-picking of phones and vending machines has
nothing at all to do with computer hacking - just petty crime.  It
gives the rest of us a bad name.  Think about it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Esperandi)
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 05:42:31 GMT

"Richard K. Downer" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>  > get

I recall reading quite awhile ago about using a simple resistor in the
box to slow down the amount of power it look slike you are consuming.
I'm not an electrician so I'm not exactly sure how to implement it but
I imagine it would work and resistors aren't that big or noticable....

But it is illegal and if you get caught I don't think they'd be very
understanding, they view it as stealing... figure that...

L8r
Esperandi

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris )
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 18:24:53 GMT

>temporarily. Reversing the polarity is total bullshit.

Actually many  4 jaw meters, unless they are "detent protected" will
spin backwards if they are inserted upside down.

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Blucher)
Date: 1 Aug 1996 03:51:50 GMT

Donald Kulha ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Dlehmicke ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : Maybe no one cares but me, but I can think of no faster way to discredit
: : this important Usegroup, and maybe more importantly, damage the
: : "homepower" movement than to have a bunch of (your insult here) post
: : methods and ideas for breaking the law.  
: : 
: : Perhaps you hardy frontiersman and tough individualists can start your own
: : newgroup and call it "alt.fringe" or "alt.we're.nobody's.fool" or
: : something complimentary like that.
: : 
: : I will consider, and I hope the administrators of this Newsgroup consider,
: : further postings on this thread to be attempts by vested, established
: : business, energy, and political interests to subvert a concept they fear
: : to the bottom of their $300 shoes.

:     Indeed the person who started this group is unhappy about the crud
: that's getting posted on this thread. I've posted numerous notes to these
: folks to stop including the charter of the group. Fortunatly or
: unfortunatly (choose one) we live in a free society and this being an open
: discussion It's almost impossible to control the content. I'm hoping that
: folks will see our example and avoid sleezing out the discussion.
:     Other than that, well, we're kinda stuck with 'em. Sigh. 

: Don Kulha, Founder

Or start a moderated newsgroup.  Means someone has to take on a position
of some responsibility and requiring quite an investment of time and 
effort.  I wonder if it's possible to "automoderate" a group?

Andy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Blucher,                     | Email: [email-masked]
Department of Software Development, | Phone: +61 3 9903 2187
Monash University, PO Box 197,      |   Fax: +61 3 9903 1077
Caulfield East, Victoria 3145,      |
AUSTRALIA                           |
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked](James di Paulo )
Date: 1 Aug 1996 13:42:27 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Q Myers <[email-masked]> writes: 
>
>Are there any other off griders out there reading this news group
>besides myself? Lets have a show of hands!!!
>
Hand up! Not off grid yet, still in the city, but should be by spring.
<smile>

>Solar energy works for me, provides all the electrical power I need.
>If you use solar, wind, hydro power, etc... please let me and all the
>other readers know you are there.
>
>Anyone interested in such things as building a super efficient 12 VDC
>refrigerator, peddle powered battery charger, 12VDC ceiling fan, or
>other off the grid devices, let me know and I will be glad to post the
>info including jpgs on how to do it.

That would be welcome information indeed! Our house/farmstead is being
designed around solar and wind power, super insulation, greenhouses,
etc. We have been talking about dual wiring in the house to take
advantage of the possibly lower power consumption of such things as
ceiling fans, the computers, and so on. While we are far from beginning
to dig footings or drive nails, everything has to begin somewhere.

Any ideas are appreciated.

James

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Lowe)
Date: 1 Aug 1996 15:58:34 GMT

James di Paulo ([email-masked]) wrote:  : In
<[email-masked]> Q Myers <[email-masked]> writes: : > :
>Are there any other off griders out there reading this news group :
>besides myself? 

I have just finished my first month off the grid. I use solar elect. from
a set of surplus Carrizo panels (200 watts). All lighting is 120VAC
compact flourecent. I am able to use a 286 floppy disk based computer to
access the net.  

Propane powers the new Servel refer, Paloma water heater, and cooking
stove. 

An old one cylinder Onan diesel generator is used to bring water to the
surface from a deep well, where it is pumped into the house with solar. I
also use it for high load stuff like vacuum cleaner ect...

We use a Maytag from the 1930's that I converted to gasoline to wash
clothes. 

I use more fossil fuel than I would like, but the solar alternatives are
very expensive and will be added slowly as I am able.

We would like to contact others off the grid or interested in geting off.
We live near Huntsville, Alabama.

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas E. Seal)
Date: 1 Aug 1996 17:28:07 GMT

I live in a totally solar powered house in the mountains outside of
Ashland, Oregon.  I'm planning on adding a small hydro (little Otto
sp?) to the system since we have abundant water resources.  I am
interested in 12V refrigeration since I'm toting propane tanks back and
forth every few weeks to run my refrigerator(s), cooking, and instant
on hot water.

Tom Seal
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 5 Aug 1996 03:31:03 GMT

Chris ([email-masked]) wrote:
  Alt.Energy.Homepower is for the discussion of ALTERNATIVE forms of 
GENERATING and USING energy (NOT STEALING IT (which is extremely lame in 
the 1st and last place)), as in that which relates to the HOME POWER 
MAGAZINE!!!