Subject: System Review 1 of 4



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3562)   Sat 27 Jul 91 22:59                             
By: Terry Olsen
To: Don Kulha

------------------------------------------------------------------
 QE 2.75 b9 & RA 1.01 2306@
MSGID: 1:125/12 4e309854
Yeah, the inverter type system is really plug in compatible with 
lots of things..lights, tvs,..etc. and it is the least efficient 
system too.  Even though the inverter may be state of the art and 
95% efficient, the appliences designed to work from 120VAC are 
mostly power dissapaters. For example incadescent lights are really 
good space heaters. Flourescents are better but the ballest makes a 
lot of heat too. And refrigerators or washing machines...whew! 
Whereas 12 Volt appliences are designed (generally) to be 
powermisers---
 * Origin: End of the World! Fortuna, CA. HST (707) 725-5785 
(1:125/12)
: 125/12 7 151/1000 1003 223

---



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3574)   Sun 28 Jul 91 12:21                             
By: Don Kulha
To: Terry Olsen

> Original Message Date: 27 Jul 91 22:59:00
> From: Terry Olsen
> To: Don Kulha
> Subj: System Review 1 of 4

> Yeah, the inverter type system is really plug in compatible 
> with lots of things..lights, tvs,..etc. and it is the least 
> efficient system too.  Even though the inverter may be state 
> of the art and 95% efficient, the appliences designed to 
> work from 120VAC are mostly power dissapaters. For example 
> incadescent lights are really good space heaters. 
> Flourescents are better but the ballest makes a lot of heat 
> too. And refrigerators or washing machines...whew! Whereas 
> 12 Volt appliences are designed (generally) to be powermisers
> ---
   Well put sir! Luckily there are some folks/companies out there 
making extremely efficient and misery refridgerator and washers. 
Home power mag had an excellent article on retrofitting washing 
machines to use up to 70% less energy without reducing performance. 
Hopefully I'll get that article soon to post here. Sunfrost in 
Arcata makes some extremely efficient refridgerators available in 
12vdc, gas fired and 110vac models. I think that super insulation 
and mounting of the motors and compressors on top of the cold box 
as opposed to underneath it (heat rises) along with very efficient 
motors make the difference. Of course they are pretty pricey too 
(2-3X "normal" prices) but if one is producing their own power 
which is pretty pricey itself the super efficient appliances can 
make of ton of sense even at elevated prices. I'll keep my eyes 
peeled for some good hard data to post here....DCK

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223