Subject: Trace Inverters 2 of 3



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3550)   Wed 24 Jul 91 19:10                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
Inverter Operation
The 1512 powers inductive loads better than any inverter we have 
ever used.  Regardless of size or type of load (we tried all kinds), 
the inverter was very consistent in its output waveform.  We saw 
on the oscilloscope that we could not get the inverter's waveform 
to go out of the modified sine wave mode.  This is amazing and 
almost 
unique.  The Trace is very different from some inverters, which put 
out a wide variety of glitchy waveforms on inductive loads 
(especially 
small ones).  The Trace 1512 inverter powered inductive loads such 
as fluorescent lights, stereos, TVs, satellite TV systems, sewing 
machines, computers, and motors better and quieter than many other 
modified sine wave inverters.

Our inductive AC equipment happily consumed the power made by the 
1512.  One very dramatic case was our computer equipment.  This 
computer 
equipment has had problems with overheating when powered by other 
inverters.  It ran much cooler on the 1512.

The Trace inverter is among the most efficient types we have 
tested.  
The 1512 met Trace's specs for efficiency.  The 1512 inverter 
produced 
noticeably less heat when powering large inductive loads.  For 
example, 
we used a large 720 watt vacuum on the inverter.  When powered by 
another inverter this vacuum began serious overheating after only 
20 minutes of continuous usage.  The inverter itself was also very 
warm.  When the vacuum was run on the Trace 1512, neither it or the 
1512 showed any appreciable heating after over 2 hours of continuous 
operation.

The 1512 has excellent voltage regulation and is within Trace's 
specs.  
Regardless of load size, load type, temperature, and battery 
voltage, 
the 1512 did not vary over 2 volts (measured by us) in its AC output 
voltage.  We tested the inverter on input voltages from 11 to 15.3 
VDC.  Temperature ranged from 10! C. to 40! C.  Loads ranged from 
25 watts resistive to 1.2 kW. inductive.  Trace has really 
accomplished 
a great deal in the area of voltage regulation.  Trace's digital 
approach to inverter design has produced an incredibly stable 
inverter.  
We were not able to measure any deviation from 60 cycles in all our 
testing.  This is a big plus for anyone powering TV, video 
equipment, 
or audio equipment from an inverter.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223