Subject: Hydropower 3 of 3



------------------------------------------------------------------
(1023)   Sat 20 Jul 91 22:02                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
This site specific nature still doesn't explain the low 
proliferation of water power. This discussion does not imply 
competition between the various forms of alternative energy. The 
situation is one of cooperation rather than competition. Many 
times more than one type of power generation can be used to 
produce a hybrid system that is both more reliable in output and 
more cost effective than a single source. The point being made is 
simply that the very useful source of water power should not be 
overlooked. So far no large business has attempted to develop the 
personal sized hydro market. The advantage to the small 
manufacturer like myself, of course, is that we can still remain 
in business. The small hydro market has such a low profile that 
raising it by any means would probably be helpful to all 
involved. At present, none of the few small manufacturers has the 
business machinery to aggressively promote their product or to 
greatly increase production if it was required. The industry is 
in its infancy. A Look Forward Improvements in magnetics and 
electronics make possible devices that would be a quantum leap 
ahead of the present day offerings. Higher-frequency generation 
using the new super magnets, coupled with solid state switching, 
could create cheaper and more efficient machines. Although more 
advanced machines are not strictly needed, a certain amount of 
R&D is necessary to produce any product. This will continue and 
is healthy for both the industry and the consumer. But thus far 
the machinery itself is not the limitation on its use. The 
consciousness of the market is controlling the growth of 
alternative energy at this time. This became very clear to me 
when I first started my business. Most of my sales went to the 
U.S. West Coast even though my location is in Atlantic Canada. 
The main work needing to be done is increasing the awareness of 
potential alternative energy users. So you corner the market. 
What if there is no market? I believe the market is unlimited but 
no one has noticed. This is certainly the case in developing 
countries. Most areas have little or no power. And these people 
are not likely to be reading our English language publication. So 
This Is The Challenge! To spread the word any and every possible 
way. This is why we are here with Home Power. Hopefully this will 
set in motion the realization that we (and our planet) will 
benefit more from small local power systems than the centralized 
capital-intensive types. 

  Article Courtesy of and Copyrighted by Home Power Magazine
         Originally published Jan-Feb 1988 Issue

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223