Subject: L-16's



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3578)   Sun 28 Jul 91 21:52                             
By: Don Kulha
To: Gale Barrows

------------------------------------------------------------------
Gale, the l-16's that Terry refers to is a somewhat "generic" 
reference to a particular size/output and form-factor of battery 
commonly purchased from the Interstate Battery company or the 
Trojan Battery Company in San Francisco. They are a very robust 
heavy duty battery intended for deep-cycling service, come as 6 
volt, 350 amp/hr units. They measure about 12" long X 7" wide X 16" 
tall, are ungodly heavy and cost around $175 each. They can last up 
to 7-10 years given proper care and no discharged too deeply (say 
50% or so). They're very popular and give good service in AE 
applications.
    Your group 27 batteries probably aren't going to hold up too 
long my friend. Even the so called "deep cycle" group 27's are 
usually not up to the rigors of AE system use unless you cycle them 
very shallowly. Interstate makes a group 27 (#27-SRM) that puts out 
95 amp/hours and will probably last 3-5 years. Next time you need 
batteries consider the L-16's, they seem to be the best bang for 
the buck as far as I can tell....DCK
 
P.S.-Forgot to mention (though ya probably figured it out) that one 
wires 2 L-16's in series to get 12 volts and more pairs in parallel 
to up the amp hour capacity.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223