Subject: Steam Power



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3556)   Fri 26 Jul 91 12:23                             
By: Michael Favor
To: Don Kulha

------------------------------------------------------------------
@EID:4b67 16fa62fb
>      I found the catalogs a few days back....Lindsay's
> Publications  (POB 583, Manteno IL 60950 (815)468-3668)

I called this company, and the new number is 815-935-5353.
Unfortunately, the steam power book is now out of print.

> There are a couple sketchs
> in the catalog of the  Tesla turbine which have whetted
> my curiousity. They look simple to  make so after I get
> the book one of the machinists at the lab and I  will probably
> build a small one to experiment with (using a bunch of
> scrap 5.25" diameter aluminum disk platters for plates).

I have been looking around in the library for several weeks now, 
but there seems to be a dearth of information about relatively 
small steam turbines.  The closest thing I could find would be 
about $10,000, and require superheated steam to avoid erosion of 
the blades by condensate.

The Tesla Bladeless Turbine sounds like just what I've been looking 
for!  If it is that easy to build, it couldnt be too expensive.  I 
am extremely interested in any further info you could possibly post 
here, or mail to me (pobox 4096 chico, ca 95927) or fax to me (916- 
891-0502) or anything else you could think of.  I would gladly pay 
postage/phone charges or whatever.

From some articles I have read, apparently its not too hard to 
create a focusing reflector by stretching mylar into the propper 
shape using a small vacuum pump.  A group of these collectors on on 
a framework not much larger than than average satalite tv dish (ie: 
backyard sized) could easily produce enough steam to drive a 10Kw 
generator, which is more than enough for the average household, 
with air-conditioner running.  In the area where I live the 
utilility company (PGE) is required by law to purchase any extra 
electricity (up to 100Kw) at about $.04/Kwh, so a solar generator 
of this type might even find use in areas readily accessable to 
utility power, purely on economic grounds, considering the size of 
our monthly household power bill as an example case.  Wouldn't it 
be nice to turn that bill into a check?

michael.

--- Opus-CBCS 1.20.15
 * Origin: Humanity Net BBS: 916-891-1920 (1:119/4.0)
: 119/4 911 203/53 125/10 7 151/1000 1003 223