Subject: Inverters 1 of 5



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3581)   Mon 29 Jul 91 12:48                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
Power Inverters by Richard Perez // The modern power inverter has
revolutionized the usage of battery stored electrical power. An 
inverter changes the low voltage DC energy of the batteries into 
120/240 volt, 60 cycle, AC housepower. Just like the energy 
available downtown. The idea here is to use the battery stored 
energy in regular household appliances. The low voltage DC 
supplied by the batteries will not run standard consumer 
appliances, which accept only 60 cycle, 120/240 volt, AC power. 
Until the advent of modern inverters, battery people had to 
content themselves with 12 VDC appliances. These are specialized 
and very expensive. In many cases there are no 12 VDC appliances 
made for a particular job. The inverter has changed this; now 
battery users can run just about any standard commercial 
appliance. In practical terms, the inverter allows us to run 
electric drills, power saws, computers, printers, vacuum 
cleaners, lighting, food processors, and most electrical 
appliances that can be plugged into the wall. If the 
battery/inverter system is big enough, then large appliances such 
as freezers, refrigerators, deep well pumps, and washing machines 
can be accommodated. All these standard 120/240 volt AC 
appliances can be powered from the batteries by using the 
appropriate inverter. The inverter draws its energy from the 
batteries, it does not require any other power source. Inverter 
operation is quiet and its power is available 24 hours a day, 
whenever it is needed. The addition of an inverter to a motorized 
system greatly improves the system efficiency. Power costs can be 
cut to 25 cents on the dollar by using an inverter instead of 
constant generator-only operation. The generator can be run for 
only several hours per week, but the inverter's 120/240 VAC power 
is constantly available. It is simply not efficient to run a 
large generator for a few lights and maybe a stereo. The 
generator is used to recharge the batteries, and to power large 
intermittent loads. This approach results in the generator being 
run more heavily loaded, where it is much more efficient. 

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223