Subject: Trace Inverters 3 of 3



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3551)   Wed 24 Jul 91 19:10                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1512 met Trace's specs. for power output.  We repeatedly tried 
to overload the Trace inverter, but we couldn't kill it.  The 1512 
protected itself from any damage due to overloading.  We tried 
resistive 
and inductive loads up to 3kW, with starting surges over 10kW.  In 
the past, inverters would not survive being so grossly overloaded.

Battery Charger Operation
The battery charger was a very pleasant surprise.  Not only is it 
easily user programmable, but its range of operation is much greater 
than anything else available.  The 70+ Ampere current output of the 
1512's charger is nearly twice as powerful as any comparable unit.  
The battery charger's voltage output can be set high enough to fully 
recharge deep cycle batteries.  The Trace 1512 is the only 
inverter/charger 
we've seen that can effectively cycle the batteries; it is unique.

The Trace is the best for operation with a motorized generator.  
The 1512 will recharge the batteries faster than any other type of 
inverter/charger we've ever seen.  This results in less generator 
operating time, and greater fuel economy.  The programmable nature 
of the charger makes overcharging or too rapid charging of the 
batteries 
impossible.  The 1512's current output was very constant over the 
entire recharging voltage range of our test batteries.  Inverter 
to generator automatic changeover is smooth and positive.  The Trace 
1512 has the best built-in battery charger in the industry.

On the down side...
It was very difficult to find anything to complain about with the 
Trace 1512.  The only feature we didn't like was the inverter's 
audio 
buzz.  This audio noise is loud enough that the inverter should be 
located where no one will have to listen to it.  A little noise is 
a very small matter in comparison with the inverter's many fine 
points.

Conclusion
The Trace 1512 is one of the finest modified sine wave inverter 
available.  
We found that it meets all of Trace's specifications.  It is as far 
ahead of other inverters as a Corvette is from a Model T.  The 1512 
is the first inverter to combine digital technology with ease of 
use, efficiency, and sheer toughness.  The list price of $1,310. 
(with optional charger) is in line with the 1512's superb 
performance.  
We are recommending the Trace 1512 as an excellent buy.  You can 
get more info on the 1512 from Trace Engineering Inc., 5917 195th 
NE, Arlington, WA 98223, or phone 206-435-8826.
 
   Courtesy of and Copyright by Home Power Magazine
    Originally published December 1987, Issue #1

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223