Subject: Vortex nozzles



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3557)   Sat 27 Jul 91 22:40                             
By: Terry Olsen
To: Don Kulha

------------------------------------------------------------------
 QE 2.75 b9 & RA 1.01 2306@
MSGID: 1:125/12 4e3093d2
Interesting, a windmill could drive such a thing?
And then the cold air gets used like in refrigerater? And the hot 
air,what do we do with it, pipe it to Sacromento to keep the 
Politicians going? (haha) but really, a windmill can run an air 
compressor, and compressed air can be put through a longish tube..
(I think) but then we have a wind powered refrigerater, and that 
can't really be practacle.  Humm though what about doing it with a 
thicker fluid? Like water?  Would it be possible to heat water 
(from a stream for example) as preheating hot water system?
---
 * Origin: End of the World! Fortuna, CA. HST (707) 725-5785 
(1:125/12)
: 125/12 7 151/1000 1003 223

---



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3572)   Sun 28 Jul 91 11:31                             
By: Don Kulha
To: Terry Olsen

> Original Message Date: 27 Jul 91 22:40:00
> From: Terry Olsen
> To: Don Kulha
> Subj: Vortex nozzles
> And then the cold air gets used like in refrigerater? And 
 
    Well, I've yet to build anything but am dying to try it out. I 
know that the nozzles do work and just yesterday I saw a lot of 
windmills (old fashioned types) which I know were used for pumping 
water. I'd assume if you can use one to pump water you could use 
one to run a small compressor. If the cold output side of the 
nozzle were plumbed into an old refridgerator's cooling coils I 
would think that the -30 deg. F cold air would have to cool it 
down. The caveat is that these nozzles are not very efficient in 
the usual sense if one had to generate electricity or burn fuel to 
operate a compressor but if one had sufficent wind, hydro or steam 
power for the compressor it MIGHT be practical. It would be great 
to get away from using freon in our refridgeration systems (air 
conditioners/refridgerators) which is rapidly destroying the ozone 
layer above us. As mentioned before I was just musing on the 
possibilities but I sure hope to get a chance to try this out!

> the hot air,what do we do with it, pipe it to Sacromento to 
> keep the Politicians going? (haha) but really, a windmill 
> can run an air compressor, and compressed air can be put 
> through a longish tube..
> (I think) but then we have a wind powered refrigerater, and 
> that can't really be practacle.  Humm though what about 
> doing it with a thicker fluid? Like water?  Would it be 
> possible to heat water (from a stream for example) as 
> preheating hot water system?
> ---
    The hot air output side of the nozzle could have many 
applications. It could be used for heating water or to help drying 
produce (fruits/veggies/jerky). I seem to recall the hot side temp 
as being at about 170 deg. F which would be a shame to waste. As to 
using water, well, I don't know if the nozzle system could be 
re-engineered to use it. However if one were to exhaust either side 
of the nozzle into the bottom of a water tank the heat/cold is 
going to be transfered to the fluid as it rises through it. I was 
concentrating more on the cold side of the equation since solar 
heat seems very easy to do and I am worried about the 
CFC/atmosphere problems. As to whether any of it is 
practical...hopefully I'll find out!

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223

---



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3589)   Mon 29 Jul 91  6:30                             
By: Terry Olsen
To: Don Kulha

------------------------------------------------------------------
 QE 2.75 b9 & RA 1.01 2306@
MSGID: 1:125/12 4e325384
Well the hot side could do some work preheating water as you have 
already said...the cold side doing refrigeration (sp . . I just 
woke up). sound good, now what kind of constant source of power can 
we modulate to produce refrigiration cooling when we want it?  
Hydro or Hydro-electric would be ideal..and wind is too iffy.  I 
have wind here, the tree flagging says about 10+ miles per hour 
per, averaged for the year..but not all the time!
---
 * Origin: End of the World! Fortuna, CA. HST (707) 725-5785 
(1:125/12)
: 125/12 7 151/1000 1003 223