Subject: Wind/AC



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3577)   Sun 28 Jul 91 21:19                             
By: Don Kulha
To: Terry Olsen

------------------------------------------------------------------
> Original Message Date: 27 Jul 91 23:10:00
> From: Terry Olsen
> To: Don Kulha

> One more thing Don, and I ask because you have posted some 
> expertise in this area...do you know of a method to get 60 
> Hertz, 120 VAC from a windmill?
> ---
    Me? expertise? Naw.....I'm a relative newcomer to the AE field 
myself (but I'm darn good at research and engineering). I have read 
references to wind generators directly supplying 120vac but don't 
have any info handy. Usually folks run their wind generators at 12 
or 24 volts to charge battery banks and invert it back up to 120vac 
which gives you the benefit of stored power when the wind isn't 
blowing. I have read of folks inverting the power at the tower site 
to AC to cut transmission losses and allow them to use a smaller 
gauge wire to move higher voltage up to the site of their main 
system/battery banks. I think you almost have to have batteries in 
the loop somewhere for a practical system. I believe the folks at 
Bergy Windpower are the acknowledged experts in the field and claim 
to have sold more wind power systems in the 1-10kw range during the 
past decade than anyone else in the world. They are located at 2001 
Priestly Ave., Norman OK 73069, (405)364-4212 (voice) or 
(405)364-2078 (fax).

    My area of expertise relates to extra-terrestial solar cell 
cover applications...not too similar to the type of AE we're 
usually speaking of here. Just to be upfront I am an alternative 
energy enthusiast and have been studying the field for about 10 
years and have done some experimentation. I can usually dig into my 
reference materials and come up with useful info for folks but 
always defer to the folks in the industry with extensive real-world 
experience when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of system 
integration. Glad I can be of some help though when possible.....DCK

  P.S.-The "expertise" of which you speak was probably that of the 
articles author....The folks at Home Power mag generously sent us 
the text of many of their articles to post here.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223