Subject: Trace Inverters 1 of 3



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3549)   Wed 24 Jul 91 19:09                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
Trace Inverter Model 1512

Test Environment--
We tested the 1512 at our site located about 12 miles from any 
commercial 
utilities.  This place has been totally powered by alternative 
energy 
since 1976.  Photovoltaics and motorized generators (both 12 VDC 
and 120 VAC) are the power sources.  We hooked the 1512 inverter 
to 2 Trojan L-16W batteries (350 ampere-hours at 12 volts) for the 
test period.  The 1512 was wired to the batteries with 0 gauge 
copper 
cables with a combined length of less than 6 feet.  The inverter 
is used to power a variety of test equipment, computers, printers, 
power tools, kitchen appliances, and some lighting.  The 1512 was 
constantly monitored by a DC powered oscilloscope (fully isolated 
from the 1512's output by its own internal battery power supply), 
a DVM, and an analog expanded scale AC voltmeter during the entire 
testing period of three weeks.

Packing, Installation Instructions, and Owner's Manual
The unit was packed very well and survived UPS shipping.  The 
shipping 
container is first class.  We first turned our attention to the 
installation 
instructions, and operator's manual.  It is well written, very 
thorough, 
and has a folksy flavor that is refreshing.  The short form for 
immediate 
hookup is a very good idea for impatient customers.  All the 
instructions 
are clear and concise.  No one should have any trouble installing 
or operating the model 1512.  All that is necessary is to read the 
manual.

The manual is very detailed in comparison with those of other 
inverter 
manufacturers.  It may be a little too technical for some, but it 
is good to see this information available to the users.  The 
discussion 
of the various types of loads and how they function on this inverter 
is very good, and will help non-technical users understand such 
things.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223