Subject: Home Power Magazine



------------------------------------------------------------------
(679)   Mon 20 May 91 16:01                             
By: Don Kulha
To: all

------------------------------------------------------------------
  "Home Power" Magazine is a real delight.....I'ts printed normal 
mag size, probably runs 40-60 pages, printed 6x year, has some 
color, good drawing and pictures, excellent articles and reviews, a 
calendar of "event's", very interesting adverts.....It's all about 
getting along on the energy you can generate and capture with a 
bias toward real life systems and experiences. There's tech, 
lifestyle, editorial and humor between the covers and it's the best 
compendium of practical information on the field. There's not much 
on the big corporate size projects, it's more about "personal" 
sized systems. It's the best money I ever spent on a magazine 
subscription....DCK
 
Contact: Home Power Magazine/P.O.Box 130/Hornbrook CA 96044
         (916)475-3179/$10 yr (basic sub.- send more!)

P.S.-It's also printed "responsibly" with degradeable/recyclable 
stuff

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 7

---



------------------------------------------------------------------
(680)   Sun 16 Jun 91 10:51                             
By: Gale Barrows
To: Don Kulha
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is another echo I will be anxiously watching !!! As I stated 
to Teresa, I hope to build a house soon but the REA wants better 
than $6,000 to bring in the juice. i expect I will be running 12 
volt electricicty with a back up generator to run the computer. If 
there were only a cheap way to run this juice hog off 12 volt, I 
would be even happier. 
Will be watching.

--- ConfMail V3.31

---



------------------------------------------------------------------
(682)   Mon 17 Jun 91 20:14                             
By: Don Kulha
To: Gale Barrows

> This is another echo I will be anxiously watching !!! As I 
> stated to Teresa, I hope to build a house soon but the REA 
> wants better than $6,000 to bring in the juice. i expect I 
> will be running 12 volt electricicty with a back up 
> generator to run the computer. If there were only a cheap 
> way to run this juice hog off 12 volt, I would be even 
> happier. 
 
     Powering the computer will be a piece of cake my friend. Lots 
of folks off the grid are doing that with small efficient inverters 
to get 110v AC from 12-24 volts. The magazine HP publishes is done 
that way and their are 12v DC Monitors and PC compatible power 
supplys (and printers and...). Will try and dig up some specifics 
for ya and get 'em posted. Consider that most real UPS systems are 
battery powered (though charged off the grid) so if you think about 
it all they are is a battery charger, an inverter, a battery bank 
and a power filter all rolled into one.
     The most efficent independant power systems designed these 
days are somewhat reliant on fuel generated power. Folks design 
their systems by totaling their consumption, getting the major 
percentage of power from solar or hydro or wind and make up the 
balance with a generator which they need for slack periods with 
their other power systems and/or powering large intermittent loads. 
Your power system might not actually be cheaper than the $6K you'd 
spend with the REA stringing lines in (if you build a big system) 
but then again you wouldn't get many power bills either.....More to 
come....DCK

--- ConfMail V3.31

---



(690)   Tue 25 Jun 91  5:59                             
By: Terry Olsen
To: Gale Barrows

------------------------------------------------------------------
 QE 2.75 b9 & RA 1.01 2306@
MSGID: 1:125/12 4e05795c
* In a message originally to Don Kulha, Gale Barrows said:
GB>This is another echo I will be anxiously watching !!! As I
GB>stated to Teresa, I hope to build a house soon but the REA
GB>wants better than $6,000 to bring in the juice. i expect I
GB>will be running 12 volt electricicty with a back up generator
GB>to run the computer. If there were only a cheap way to run
GB>this juice hog off 12 volt, I would be even happier. 
GB>Will be watching.
GB>
GB>--- ConfMail V3.31
GB> * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32
GB>(707)545-0746 (1:125/7)
Well, $6000 is a lot of $$$ money and I am real glad I didn't have 
to put up money for power but remote power equipment is expensive!
But for your computer, Heart makes a nice 300 Watt AC inverter.
Tie it to some 12 volts batteries and bingo! 300 watts of AC for 
you application. But you be sure and use a surge suppressor if you 
do is.
I am familiar with the Heart AC waveshape, it is better than 
Triplite by far but to run a computer..use a surge suppressor.
The 300 watt inverter and some used car batteries could get you 
started for less than $1000.
---
 * Origin: End of the World! Fortuna, CA. HST (707) 725-5785 
(1:125/12)
: 125/12 7

---



(691)   Tue 25 Jun 91  6:01                             
By: Terry Olsen
To: Gale Barrows

------------------------------------------------------------------
 QE 2.75 b9 & RA 1.01 2306@
MSGID: 1:125/12 4e0579b8
One more thing, the most important thing a bout Remote Power 
Systems is to find a good dealer who knows his stuff, if someone 
besides you is going to do the work.  There is nothing more 
important than a quality tech backed by a dealer with good 
integrity! Talk to some people!
---
 * Origin: End of the World! Fortuna, CA. HST (707) 725-5785 
(1:125/12)
: 125/12 7