Subject: Hydropower 2 of 3



------------------------------------------------------------------
(1022)   Sat 20 Jul 91 22:00                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
persevered and attracted a following on its own terms. A very 
interesting aspect of this movement is what can be offered to the 
developing countries. Progress does not have to mean expensive 
large projects and centralization of power generation. Individual 
people can master this simple, small scale technology. This 
mastery will dramatically change their lives. Just a little 
energy production can produce vast improvements in the quality of 
life. Alternative energy can provide lights for a village to work 
or read by, or power pumps to move water for drinking or 
irrigation, or power tools for cottage industries. The 
possibilities of alternative energy are endless and 
revolutionary. The surface has barely been scratched. So Let's 
Change... Clearly the world needs a new blueprint for development 
and change. Alternative energy is definitely part of this new 
blueprint. At least, there is now some groundwork in this field 
that proves its viability . This, alone, is an accomplishment. 
This magazine will help in a technological and philosophical 
exchange of ideas. Home Power is a forum for small scale 
alternative energy. Right now there is no other publication that 
seriously addresses the requirements and interests of people 
involved in personal power production. We need a higher profile 
if we hope to be one of the keepers of the light. It is unclear 
why home-sized water power, in particular, is so little known. It 
is true that other forms of comparable energy sources receive far 
more attention. The supreme reliability of photovoltaics and the 
romance of wind power are well established. Somehow the use of 
residential sized hydro-power has been largely overlooked. Part 
of this is likely due to the sound of the output figures. 
Although a water power system may produce 100 watts of power 24 
hour per day, it sounds like so much less than a PV (or wind) 
system that has a peak output of 1,000 or 2,000 watts. Yet the 
water system could easily produce more total power output over a 
given time span. And be much cheaper. I read recently in a 
magazine (New Shelter) a comparison of three types of alternative 
energy systems. It was stated that "experts agree" that a hydro 
site capable of less than 500 watts continuous output is simply 
not worth bothering with. It is safe to say that a wind or PV 
system with this level of output would be at least a five figure 
investment. My own household operates on a maximum of 100 watts 
of continuous power input and runs quite successfully on less 
when water flow drops. Please understand that all forms of 
alternative energy technology are site specific. At any given 
location there may be compelling factors that favor one form. 

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223