Subject: Steam Anyone?



------------------------------------------------------------------
(3538)   Sun 21 Jul 91 22:55                             
By: Don Kulha
To: All

------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was wondering if anyone else here is intereseted in steam 
power? It occurs to me that it could be a worthwhile area to look 
into. Someone a while back entered a message with steam as the 
topic, inquired as to Testla turbine feasability and info but 
didn't mention it in the body of their message. I know that the 
Testla turbine was first used in conjunction with steam. I also was 
looking through some catalogs I keep at work (Lindsay's) for info 
to pass on to the fellow (coming up shortly) and did find 
references to it and a book with (I think) info that this chap 
wants. Interestingly enough there, next to the book listing, was a 
picture of a Testla turbine and a footnote about the picture saying 
it was courtesy of "Live Steam", a magazine I've seen at the local 
newsstand (bought a copy too and a friend quickly borrowed it). 
Anyway, Nickola Tesla demoed his turbine as a engine to drive an 
electrical generator...interesting.
     Whether one used Tesla's turbine or some other type of steam 
engine I'm sure interested in the possibility of harnessing solar 
energy to heat a boiler to generate electrical power or compressed 
air (or to pump water, or....). You might even be able to use some 
of the by product (steam) for distilled water (just dandy for 
batteries eh?). Might be a nice alternative to a generator burning 
fossil fuels for some applications and you could steam your veggies 
at the same time! (grin). Even non-solar steam could be interesting 
in the AE scheme of things.....Hmmmmmm.....
          DCK

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Sonoma Online RFE, Fido V12T/HST/V.32 (707)545-0746 
(1:125/7)
: 125/7 151/1000 1003 223