Subject: energy efficient home 1/7
From: [email-masked] (Howard Smith)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 09:21:00 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.energy

1. Home Energy magazine *******************************

This magazine concentrates on home retrofits.

For the last ten years, Home Energy magazine has been
America's most reliable source of balanced and research-
based information on energy conservation in the home.
Written primarily for the energy professional, Home
Energy covers every aspect of residential conservation,
from super-efficient appliances and lighting to indoor
air quality and water conservation.

Contents of the March/April 1994 issue:

Perry Bigelow: Energy Efficiency Maestro-by Steve
Andrews
If productions builders established a premier school for
energy efficiency, Chicago-area builder Perry Bigelow
would rank high on the list of potential chief instructors.
Throw in a mandate for affordability and Bigelow would
likely lead the way.

Capturing Conservation through Community Energy
Management-by Paul I. Berkowitz, Sabrina L. Karl, and
Judith Ramsay
A renewed interest in energy conservation has spawned a
revival of community-based energy management projects
throughout the United States and Canada.

Evaluating Low-Income Water Heater Fuel Switching-by
Patti Witte, Marge Wilder, and Martin Kushler
A recent study sheds light on the practical potential of
electric-to-gas water heater conversions.

Cooling Benefits from Exterior Masonry Wall Insulation-
by mark P. Ternes, Kenneth E. WIlkes, and Howard A.
McLain
Field research demonstrates electricity savings and
demand reductions from insulation retrofits of concrete
block houses in hot, dry climates.

Some Like It Hot-by Alan Meier
This reprint, the second in Home Energy's tenth-
anniversary series, offers tips on how to keep warm in
the winter while still conserving energy.

They are a bimonthly magazine (6 issues a year.), available
by subscription.

People can write to Home Energy at 2124 Kittredge St,
#95, Berkeley, CA 94704, or call (510) 524-5405

2. Home Power magazine **********************************

Try to find a copy of "Home Power" magazine at a magazine shop or
library. It is full of case histories of home insulation installations
in homes and businesses, lots of ideas and ads. It will answer most of
your questions. It is written by people who live the life.

If you can't find a copy locally, the address for them is:

Home Power Magazine
P.O.Box 520
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Their phone number is (916) 475-3179.

A subscription is $15 for six issues/year.

3. Building and Energy Systems Division *****************************
Steve Hauser, Director
(303)231-7316
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Boulevard
Golden, Co 80401-3393

They have designed a number of energy efficient homes.
Should give you some ideas.
**********************************************************************

Plus here is a much too long bibliography
********************************************

           Baker & Taylor Books' Database        Date: 02/22/94

                           Bibliography Report             

          Courtesy of Printer's Inc. Bookstore,  Palo Alto, CA

**** Home, Energy ****

 Rocky Mountain Inst  The Energy Efficient Home
                          01/94  Brick House Pub Co                           
    188317807X  PAP  WR                          93824365 $    9.95

 Potts, Michael       The Independent Home : Living Well With Power from 
    the Sun, Wind, and W  10/93  Chelsea Green Pub Co                         
    0930031652  PAP      930116650               93494847 $   17.95

 Sunset               Best Home Plans for Energy Efficient Homes (Best Home 
    Plans)                09/93  Sunset Pub Co
    0376011300  PAP                              93191781 $    9.99

 Wilson, Alex/Morrill Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings 
                          06/93  Amer Council Energy Efficient Economy        
    091824918X  PAP                   New Rev    93718963 $    6.95

 Gipe, Paul           Wind Power for Home & Business : Renewable Energy for
    the 1990s and Beyond  05/93  Chelsea Green Pub Co                         
    0930031644  PAP      930094370               93728350 $   35.00

 Liem, Tik L.         Turning Kids on to Science in the Home : Book 2, 
    Energy : Easy to Fol  12/92  Sci Inquiry Enterprise                       
    1878106058  PAP                                       $   20.00

 Wood, Robert W./Hoef All Thumbs Guide to Home Energy Savings (All Thumbs 
    Guides Series)        10/92  Tab Books
    0830641645  PAP      920157350               92234269 $    9.95

 Wilson, Alex/Morrill Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings 
                          06/92  Amer Council Energy Efficient Economy        
    0918249155  PAP      997135450    2nd Rev    91024349 $    6.95

 Krigger, John T.     Your Mobile Home Energy and Repair Guide
                          01/92  Saturn Resource Mgmt                         
    188012002X  PAP                   2nd        92940915 $   15.95

 Bell, David          Practical Home Energy Savings 
                          11/91  Rocky Mountain Inst                          
    1881071014  PAP                                       $    8.00

 Editors of Consumer  Warm House Cool House : Money-Saving Guide to Energy 
    Use in Your Home (Ho  11/91  Consumer Reports Books
    0890434042  PAP      910293740               10627636 $   16.95

 Yost, Harry          Home Insulation : Do It Yourself and Save As Much As 
    40%                   10/91  Garden Way Pub Co                            
    0882666940  PAP      910500010                        $   11.95

 Stwertka, Eve/Stwert Heat, Lights and Action! : How Electricity Works (At
    Home With Science)    09/91  Messner Julian                               
    0671694642  PAP      900491090                        $    5.95

 Stwertka, Eve/Swertk Heat, Lights, and Action! : How Electricity Works (At 
    Home With Science)    09/91  Messner Julian                               
    0671694588  LIB  POL 900491090                        $   10.98

 Yost, Harry          Home Insulation : Do It Yourself and Save As Much As 
    40%                   09/91  Storey Communications
    0882667416  TRD  POL 910500010                        $   21.95

 Anderson, Bruce (Edi The Fuel Savers : A Kit of Solar Ideas for Your Home, 
    Apartment, or Busine  08/91  Morning Sun Pr                               
    0962906905  PAP      997172890                        $    4.95

 Krigger, John T.     Your Home Cooling Energy Guide
                          06/91  Saturn Resource Mgmt                         
    1880120046  PAP                                       $   12.50

 Albright, Roger,     547 Tips for Saving Energy in Your Home 
                          11/90  Storey Communications                        
    0882666770  PAP  OP  900154910    Rev. Ed.            $    7.95

                      Energy Alternatives (Home Repair and Improvement) 
                          01/90  Time Life Educ
    0809473763  LIB      820103320    Revised             $   21.93

 Vvket            46  Energy Conservation in the Home 
                          09/89  Baker & Taylor Video                         
    6301525019  VHS                   Vhs Video           $   29.95

 Hassol, Susan        Energy (Creating a Healthy World - 101 Practical Tips
    for Home and Work Se  06/89  Windstar Fndtn                               
    096224922X  PAP                                       $    3.95

 Atkinson, Steven D.  Solar Home Planning : A Bibliography and a Guide 
                          02/88  Scarecrow Pr                                 
    0810820986  TXT      870323410                        $   29.50

 Anderson, Bruce      The New Solar Home Book 
                          01/87  Brick House Pub Co
    0931790700  PAP      860232140                        $   16.95

 Robinette, Gary      Home Landscaping to Save Energy 
                          10/86  Van Nostrand Reinhold Trade                  
    0442222106  PAP  PC                                   $   22.50

 Nadell, Steve/Morril Saving Energy and Money With Home Appliances
                          12/85  Amer Council Energy Efficient Economy        
    9998360285  PAP                                       $    3.00

 Schepp, Brad/Hastie, The Complete Passive Solar Home Book 
                          10/85  Tab Books                                    
    0830616578  PAP  OP  850046770    1st Ed.             $   16.95

 Mejetta, Mirko/Spada Natural Home Style : Using Simple Materials, 
    Plantings and Sunlig  09/85  Whitney Lib Design
    0823073874  TRD  OP  999535560                        $   32.50

 6100006150           Moisture and Home Energy Conservation : How to 
    Detect, Solve and Av  06/85  Govt Printing Office                         
    9997387058  PAP                                       $    5.31

 Nisson, J.D. Ned/Dut The Superinsulated Home Book
                          02/85  Wiley John&Sons Inc                          
    047188734X  TXT  OP  840219450                        $   49.95

 Nisson, J.D. Ned     The Superinsulated Home Book 
                          02/85  Wiley John&Sons Inc                          
    0471813435  PAP  OP  840219450                        $   24.95

                      Multi-Level and Hillside Home Plans With Energy 
    Efficient Solar Desi  12/84  Garlinghouse Co
    0938708120  PAP  OP  840818900                        $    4.95

 Giles, Carl/Giles, B Ventilation : Your Secret Key to an Energy Efficient 
    Home                  07/84  Tab Books                                    
    0830616810  PAP  OP  830243550                        $    8.95

 Coe, Gigi & Eaton, M The Home Energy Decision Book
                          05/84  Sierra Club Bks                              
    087156811X  PAP  OP  830195740    1st Ed.             $    9.95

 Jones, Peter         Weekend Home Energy Saving Projects 
                          04/84  Van Nostrand Reinhold                        
    0671608576  TRD  OP  830034670                        $   18.75

 Jones, Peter         Weekend Home Energy Saving Projects 
                          04/84  Van Nostrand Reinhold
    0442244843  PAP      830034670                        $   10.25

 Halacy, Dan          Home Energy : Your Best Options for Solar Heating and 
    Cooling, Wood, Wind,  04/84  Rodale Pr Inc                                
    087857493X  TRD  OP  830247780                        $   19.95

 Heyn, Ernest Victor, Popular Science Book of Home Alternate-Energy
    Projects              01/84  Prentice Hall                                
    0835955656  TRD  OP  830112290                        $   28.95

 Wolfe, Ralph         Home Energy for the Eighties 
                          10/83  Bookthrift Co                                
    0882661655  TRD  OP  790094120                        $    1.98

 Kroetch, Brent G.    Solar Home Heating and Conservation Options : An 
    Economic Analysis     10/83  Jai Pr
    0892323175  TXT      830480930                        $   56.50

 Agriculture, Alberta New House Planning and Idea Book : Make Your New Home 
    Affordable, Energy-E  09/83  Brick House Pub Co                           
    0931790603  PAP  OP  830171880    U.S. Ed.            $    8.95

 Powell, Evan         Popular Science Book of Home Heating and Cooling
                          07/83  Simon&Schuster                               
    0835955648  TRD  OP  820185620                        $   28.95

 Pitts, David E.      Home Energy Applications : On Your Personal Computer 
                          04/83  Compute Pubns                                
    0942386108  PAP                                       $   14.95

 Knight, Paul A.      Home Retrofitting for Energy Savings : An Illustrated 
    Guide                 03/83  Van Nostrand Reinhold
    0442248326  PAP      999330500                        $   12.50

 Montgomery, Richard  The Home Energy Audit : Your Guide to Understanding 
    and Reducing Your Ho  01/83  Wiley John & Sons Trade                      
    0471864668  PAP  OP  820159920                        $   10.95

 Maguire, Byron W.    Energy Conservation for the Home
                          01/83  Reston Pub Co                                
    0835916901  TXT  OP  820164970                        $   18.95

 Maguire, Byron       Energy Conservation for the Home 
                          01/83  Reston Pub Co                                
    0835916995  PAP  OP  820164970                        $   12.95

 Wahlfeldt, Bette G.  The Energy Efficient Home : 101 Money Saving Ideas 
                          12/82  Tab Books
    083061415X  PAP  OP  820058510                        $   12.95

 Wahlfeldt, Bette G.  The Energy Efficient Home : 101 Money Saving Ideas 
                          11/82  Tab Books                                    
    0830624155  TRD  OP  820058510                        $   19.95

 Vaughn, Lewis        Chilton's Guide to Home Energy Savings
                          10/82  Chilton Book Co                              
    0801970199  PAP  OP                                   $   10.95

 Byalin, Joan         Women's Energy Tool Kit : Home Heating, Cooling and 
    Weatherization        10/82  Little Brown&Co Paper                        
    0316153435  PAP  OP  820827050                        $    9.95

                      Home Landscaping to Use Solar Energy 
                          08/82  Envir Design Pr
    9992328398  TXT  OP                                   $   14.95

 Fields, P.           Computer Assisted Home Energy Management 
                          08/82  Sams                                         
    0672218178  PAP  OP  820506490                        $   15.95

                      Mother Earth News Guide to Home Energy
                          06/82  Mother Earth News                            
    9993884669  PAP                                       $    3.95

 Drake, G.            Weatherizing Your Home 
                          03/82  Reston Pub Co                                
    0835985911  PAP  OP  780171650                        $   12.95

 Mecca, Stephen J.    Home Energy Management : Principles and Practices 
                          12/81  Petrocelli Books Inc
    0894331469  PAP  OP  810008520                        $   12.95

 Albright, Roger      547 Easy Ways to Save Energy in Your Home 
                          10/81  Garden Way Pub Co                            
    0882661272  TRD  OP  780009640                        $    8.95

 Home Planners, Inc.  Home Plans for the 80s
                          10/81  Ideals Pub                                   
    0824961099  PAP  OP  812141980    Revised             $    3.95

 Knight, Paul A.      The Energy Resources Center Illustrated Guide to Home 
    Retrofitting for Ene  07/81  McGraw Hill                                  
    0070194904  TRD  OP  800235680                        $   19.95

                      Home Energy Conservation 
                          06/81  Consultants Lib
    0890430195  PAP                                       $   17.00

 Barton, George S.    How to Really Save Money and Energy in Cooling Your 
    Home                  05/81  Ginsberg Phyllis                             
    0931624010  PAP                                       $   14.95

 Henkin, William A.   Energy-Saving Projects for the Home
                          03/81  Ortho Books                                  
    091710286X  PAP  OP  800663480                        $    5.95

 Morrison, James W. ( Complete Energy-Saving Home Improvement Guide 
                          12/80  Arco Pub Inc                                 
    0668050853  PAP  OP  800239960    Fourth              $    2.50

 Klinger, Judith L.   Food Inflation Fighters Handbook 
                          10/80  Fawcett Books
    0449900304  PAP  POS 811403030                        $    5.95

 Sherman, Steve,      Home Heating With Coal : Energy for the Eighties 
                          09/80  Stackpole Books                              
    0811720810  PAP  OP  800190450                        $    8.95

 Browne, Dan          Alternative Home Heating : How to Heat Your Home More
    Effectively and Cost  07/80  Holt Henry&Co                                
    0030415314  TRD  OP  790034450                        $   12.95

 Hackleman, Michael   At Home With Alternative Energy : A Comprehensive 
    Guide to Creating Yo  07/80  Peace Pr Pub Inc                             
    0915238381  PAP  OP  790480560                        $    9.95

 Blandy, Thomas.      All Through the House : A Guide to Home 
    Weatherization        01/80  McGraw Hill
    0070058717  PAP  OP  790147940                        $    7.95

 Dvorkin, David       At Home With Solar Energy : A Consumer's Guide 
                          01/80  Nelson Thomas Inc                            
    0840756941  PAP  OP  790193700                        $    6.95

 Scheller, William.   Energy-Saving Home Improvements
                          12/79  Bobbs Merrill Co Inc                         
    0672216051  PAP  OP  790657550                        $    8.95

 Wolfe, Ralph         Home Energy for the Eighties 
                          09/79  Garden Way Pub Co                            
    0882661582  PAP  OP  790094120                        $   10.95

 Consumer Guide Edito Home Energy Saver 
                          06/79  Fawcett Books
    0449800024  PAP  OP                                   $    1.95

 Mazria, Edward       The Passive Solar Energy Book : A Complete Guide to 
    Passive Solar Home,   05/79  Rodale Pr Inc                                
    0878572376  PAP  OP  780216560                        $   14.95

 Mazria, Edward       The Passive Solar Energy Book : A Complete Guide to
    Passive Solar Home,   05/79  Rodale Pr Inc                                
    0878572384  TRD  OP  780217080    Prfssnl             $   29.95

 Hickok, Floyd        Your Energy-Efficient Home : Improvements to Save 
    Utility Dollars       04/79  Prentice Hall                                
    0139783040  PAP  OP  780265060                        $    5.95

 Hickok, Floyd        Your Energy-Efficient Home : Improvements to Save 
    Utility Dollars       04/79  Prentice Hall
    0139783121  TRD  OP  780265060                        $   11.95

 Howell, D.           Your Solar Energy Home : Including Wind and Methane 
    Applications          02/79  Pergamon Pr                                  
    0080226868  PAP                                       $   15.25

 Family Handyman Maga Family Handyman Practical Book of Saving Home Energy
                          12/78  Tab Books                                    
    083069871X  TRD  OP  780107040                        $    9.95

 Consumer Reports Edi Consumer Reports a Money Saving Guide to Energy in 
    the Home              12/78  Doubleday&Co Inc                             
    0385150792  PAP  OP  999106130                        $    3.50

 Drake, George R.     Weatherizing Your Home 
                          10/78  Prentice Hall
    083598592X  TRD  OP  780171650                        $   16.95

 Robinson, Steven     The Energy Efficient Home : A Manual for Saving Fuel 
    and Using Solar, Woo  10/78  New Amer Lib Trade                           
    0452251877  PAP  OP  780566050                        $    4.95

 Barrett, David,      Financing the Solar Home : Understanding and
    Improving Mortgage-M  07/78  Lexington Book Div                           
    0669016845  TXT  OP  770038550                        $   23.95

 Socolow              Saving Energy in the Home : Princeton's Experiments 
    at Twin Rivers        06/78  Ballinger Pub Co                             
    0884100804  TXT  OP  780025980                        $   27.50

 Nunn, Richard V      Saving Home Energy 
                          06/78  Oxmoor House
    0848704827  TRD  OP  999046790                        $    2.95

 Albright, Roger,     547 Easy Ways to Save Energy in Your Home 
                          05/78  Garden Way Pub Co                            
    0882661264  PAP  OP  780009640                        $    5.95

 Sullivan, George,    Wind Power for Your Home : The First Complete Guide
    That Tells How to Ma  03/78  Simon&Schuster                               
    034612316X  PAP  OP  781040070                        $    4.95

 McGuigan, Dermot,    Harnessing Water Power for Home Energy 
                          02/78  Garden Way Pub Co                            
    0882661159  PAP  OP  770274040                        $    6.95

 Hart, G. Kimball.    How to Cut Your Energy Costs : A Guide to Major 
    Savings at Home and   02/78  Simon&Schuster
    0671229737  TRD  OP  770837420                        $    9.95

 McGuigan, Dermot,    Harnessing the Wind for Home Energy 
                          02/78  Garden Way Pub Co                            
    0882661175  PAP  OP  770179160                        $    6.95

 Pearson, Jim.        Hawaii Home Energy Book
                          02/78  U Hi Pr                                      
    0824805968  TXT      770799350                        $    8.95

 Davis, Joseph C.     Wage the Energy War at Home 
                          11/77  Emerson Book Co                              
    0875231918  TRD      780511210                        $   10.95

 Kleeberg, Irene Cumm The Home Energy Saver : All the Facts You Need to 
    Save Energy Dollars   11/77  New Win Pub
    0884210405  PAP  OP  770897100                        $    3.95

 Lucas, Ted.          How to Use Solar Energy in Your Home and Business 
                          10/77  Crown Pub                                    
    0378063804  PAP  POL 770891850                        $    7.95

Howard Smith, sysop                                    
Solar Hydrogen BBS  Palo Alto, CA  (415)494-3116  A node on the H2!net
1200-14,400 baud (V.32bis V.42bis)  8N1  24 hrs
There is a hydrogen fuel cell powered, electric vehicle in your future.
Hydrogen - the best and safest fuel!
Also try the H2!net hub, AHA Tempe BBS (602)894-8403