Subject: FaQ - Couture Powertrain - a major technological breakthrough for the development of an electic car (2/2)

From: [email-masked] (Michel Bois)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 20:05:01 GMT

MOTOR WHEEL DEVELOPED BY HYDRO-QUEBEC (2/2)

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

WHAT DOES THE COUTURE POWERTRAIN CONSIST OF ?

The Couture Powertrain, developed as part of the M4 project, is a high
efficiency, high performance motor. The concept is based on a set of
four motors included in the wheels of a car and powered by a battery
linked to a generator-motor, all computer-controlled. The intended
result is a hybrid propulsion system for electric vehicles. The
technology is superior to conventional internal combustion engines,
whether in terms of energy efficiency, acceleration, traction control
and simplicity, while being comparable in terms of radius of action and
speed.

HOW IS THIS TECHNOLOGY DIFFERENT FROM KNOWN TECHNOLOGIES ?

The motor wheel concept is not in itself new. It is a type of
electrical motor in which the usual positions of the stator and rotor
are reversed and was proposed early in the century by Ferdinand
Porsche. For example, some locomotives are driven by motor wheels. The
most surprising element in the Couture approach is that M4 has
succeeded in inserting a motor that performs so well with such high
torque within the limited space of a 15-inch hub. Moreover, the Couture
Powertrain offers several fundamental advantages: twice the performance
in terms of energy efficiency at equal weight with a conventional
engine, an environmental gain because of the reduction of atmospheric
emissions and the use of energy without making sacrifices in
performance.

WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF RESEARCH ON THE ELECTRIC CAR ?

Research efforts to develop and promote the use of an electric car have
been intermittent. The oil crisis of the 1970s brought a renewed
interest in developing the technology but it was really the regulations
imposed by California in order to reduce atmospheric pollution that
really boosted R&D on such a vehicle. California opened the door to the
real introduction of such a car on its roads by requiring that 2% of
new cars be electric by 1998, a percentage that will rise to 10% in
2002. Certain northeastern American states are discussing the adoption
of similar legislation. In Canada only British Columbia has publicly
undertaken to adopt similar regulations.

WHY HAS HYDRO-QUEBEC BECOME INVOLVED IN THIS DEVELOPMENT PROJECT FOR
THE COUTURE POWERTRAIN ?

The M4 project is part of the utility's prospective, long-term R&D
options. These long-term projects involve energy, energy efficiency and
new advanced technologies. They include such topics as robotics,
superconductivity, hydrogen and nuclear fusion.

HOW MUCH MONEY HAS BEEN SPENT ON THIS PROJECT ?

Since 1991, Hydro-Quebec has spent some $22 million on the M4 project.

IS THE COUTURE POWERTRAIN LINKED TO THE LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY
DEVELOPMENT PROJECT ?

No. These are two entirely different projects, although both are linked
to efforts to develop a car that runs on electricity. More
specifically, the lithium polymer battery involves the development of a
battery consisting of a very thin film that can take many forms, is
easily handled, rechargeable and is lighter, cleaner and less bulky
than traditional batteries. In 1992, Hydro-Quebec signed an R&D
agreement for $33 million with 3M and Argonne National Laboratory in
the United States for the development of lithium polymer battery
prototypes for electric cars. Lasting two years, this project is being
carried out on behalf of the USABC consortium (United States Advanced
Battery Consortium), consisting of General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and
the Electric Power Research Institute.

The Couture Powertrain does not involve the batteries but focuses on
hybrid components, including the motor, inserted in each of the car's
four wheels. It is by no means impossible to consider some form of
synergy among the two projects but for the time being, they are being
managed separately.

WILL THE COUTURE MOTOR COMPETE WITH HYDROGEN ?

Development of the Couture approach is totally compatible with the
development of the hydrogen project. In the long term, the Couture
motor wheel could be linked with a fuel battery that allows direct
conversion of a non-polluting fuel like hydrogen.

To obtain further information, photos and technical outline, leave your
name and address to [email-masked]