Subject: Eco town meeting: 2/5/95

From: [email-masked] (Dancing Rabbit)
Date: 28 Jan 1995 01:40:20 GMT

* Tired of mainstream environmentalism?

   * Interested in really making a change in your lifestyle and   changing
the world too?
 
   * Interested in being part of a radical experiment in sustainable   
living, in a 1000-person town with a land-based focus?

If so please read on...

         -----------------------------------
         WHAT IS THE DANCING RABBIT PROJECT?
         -----------------------------------

   The Dancing Rabbit Project is a group of individuals who desire 
true environmental sustainability.  Rather than the "quick fixes" or 
band-aid efforts of the mainstream, we are interested in longterm 
societal and technological changes that will ensure the integrity of the 
ecosphere, and the well-being of humans, far into the future.

   We believe that it is impossible to live sustainably while enmeshed 
in the consumer culture.  Therefore, we envision a locally self-reliant 
town committed to environmental sustainability--a place where one can 
pursue human fulfillment without causing environmental degradation.  We 
intend to build such a town. 
 
   To do so Dancing Rabbit will need to become predominantly self-
sufficient, but this does not mean we will be isolationist or 
sequestered from America as a whole. Instead we will vigorously promote 
ourselves as a viable example of sustainable living and spread our ideas 
and discoveries through education, academic papers, other publications, 
speaking engagements, and the like.

   Currently, Dancing Rabbit is a group of about 10 people who meet 
the first Sunday of each month to discuss our progress and work together 
towards our goal.  At this point, we operate by consensus.  There is a 
larger group of approximately 30 people who are interested in Dancing 
Rabbit, are kept informed of the general goings-on, and who may become 
more deeply involved in the future if they choose to do so.  We are 
seeking people to join us at either level of commitment. We are also 
looking for groups interested in pooling resources with us and forming a 
community within the town of Dancing Rabbit.

   In its final stage, Dancing Rabbit will be a small town with about 
1000 residents.  We will be housed in a variety of living arrangements, 
eat a variety of foods, and work on varied projects.  It will be a 
society flexible enough to include intentional communities, cohousing, 
individual households, and hermits.  But while we may have different 
approaches to some issues, the common desire for environmental 
sustainability will underlie all key decisions at Dancing Rabbit.

-----------------------------------------------------------

   Members of the Dancing Rabbit Project will be meeting Sunday Feb. 
5th in Palo Alto to discuss progress towards their goals, including 
timelines, possible land purchases, outreach, etc.  Anyone may attend. 
(Meetings are held monthly in various locations around the Bay Area). If 
you are interested in coming to the meeting please send e-mail to
[email-masked] or call (415) 325-3562. (ask for Tony
or leave a message and you will be called back).    
   
For more information about Dancing Rabbit check out our Web page at   
http://gaia.radius.com/DR.html.   
   
Dancing Rabbit may also be reached at:   
POB 414, Palo Alto, CA 94302.