Subject: Alternative to Septic Systems

From: [email-masked] (Michael J. Motal)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 00:37:05 GMT

This came across my desk at work and thought it might interest some of 
you.  A disclaimer is needed-I do not work for the company nor do I have 
any financial stake in the company.  We are using them on a custom home 
we're building on a site which made conventional septic systems cost 
prohibitive.

RETHINKING SEWAGE FROM FLUSHES TO FLOWERS Domestic wastewater is 99.9%
water and only 0.1% solids.  ClearWater Systems treats, reclaims and
recycles this tremendous resource, turning waste into beauty.  

THE PROBLEM WITH SEPTIC TANKS Septic tanks were introduced in Texas 
during the 1880s and are still in widespread use. They perform what is 
called primary treatment, allowing solids to settle then discharging a 
foul-smelling black liquid to the soil. This effluent is only partially 
treated and the potential for disease transmission is virtually unchanged 
>from  that of raw sewage.  Septic tank effluent receives a greater degree 
of treatment in the soil than it does in the tank. Now more than a 
century later, as population density has reduced our wide open spaces, 
isn't it time to rethink septic tanks and sewage?  Waste water should be 
treated as a resource not as a waste!  

THE INTELLIGENT ALTERNATIVE ClearWater Systems uses todays technology, 
replacing the passive process of the old-fashioned septic tank with an 
on-site treatment unit. This is a miniature version of a subdivision 
sewage treatment plant specifically designed for residential
use under criteria from the Texas Department of Health. This active
process cleans and disinfects the hundreds of gallons of waste water
generated daily by a typical family and recycles this water to nurture
long-lasting improvements to the property like shade trees, flowers and
lawns. In Texas, where summer outdoor water use can be as much as 70
percent of the total home water use, this recycling combined with a
Xeriscape or native landscape can virtually eliminate the need for extra
outdoor watering.  

THE COMMON SENSE APPROACH TO SEWAGE - ensures and enhances the value of 
your property - treats your site as if you want to pass it along to your 
children and grandchildren.  - works in harmony with your site, creating 
your ideal living and working areas with the least possible impact on the 
environment.  

DOLLARS AND SENSE Sewage Happens. It makes good sense to clean up and 
conserve this renewable resource. Let us help you use it to add value and 
beauty to your property.  Our services include site evaluation, design, 
installation, as built drawings, an understandable owners manual and 
monitoring and maintaining our systems. We can also design and plant a 
suitable landscape for your site.  Doing the right thing environmentally 
is also the right thing economically. Our sustainable approach to 
wastewater management can be yours in most cases for less than the cost 
of other engineered systems.  

INNOVATIVE WASTEWATER MANAGEMENT ClearWater Systems offers affordable and
environmentally friendly wastewater treatment for homes and small
businesses. This system treats sewage on-site to Health Department Class 1
Standards, then recycles the clear, odor-free water for landscape
maintenance through a drip irrigation system.  Our systems are designed to
work in harmony with your site rather than fighting its natural features,
thus we avoid the expense of major excavation. This makes us the ideal
choice if you are building or remodeling and have - a difficult site or
soils (rocky, hilly, sand, clay) - A waterfront lot - A failed septic
system - A sensitive environment - A limited area for drain field 

PROCESS DESCRIPTIONS ClearWater System uses an aerobic process for onsite
treatment of waste water. The treatment unit has no internal moving parts.
Sewage enters the unit through a 4" line from the house and flows through
the interceptor tank into the contact chamber where it is aerated with
small bubbles of compressed air. Solids that are not digested on the first
pass are recycled until they are consumed by aerobic bacteria.  The
treated water rises into the clarifier and flows over the top of a weir
into the collector. It is disinfected and stored in the dosing chamber and
is automatically pumped for irrigation when needed.  Note:  All tanks are
typically below ground with only lids and pump house visible.  

CLEARWATER SYSTEMS Our systems are designed by a professional engineer to 
exceed the highest applicable standards. Installation is by a staff of 
licensed technicians.  The system was designed for dependability and ease of
operation and requires only periodic maintenance. Our company and the
manufacturer stand behind our systems offering a comprehensive warranty
and a 24 hour "on call" service department.  This system is manufactured
in Texas and has a solid track record with hundreds of units installed and
operating successfully. These units have been approved for installation by
the State of Texas, the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) and city and
county health departments.  

For more information contact:  Mike Kelley
ClearWater Systems 305 West Mary Austin, Texas 78704 tel 512 441 6046 fax
512 447 3422

-- 
                                             [email-masked]