

c.vt.edu!news.bluesky.net!news.sprintlink.net!gatech!newsfeed.pitt.edu!dsinc!ne
ws.ee.vill.edu!not-for-mail
From: [email-masked] (Nick Pine)
Newsgroups: alt.energy.renewable,alt.solar.thermal
Subject: Subsidizing the Sun
Date: 19 May 1995 08:33:13 -0400
Organization: Villanova University
Lines: 16
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu
Xref: bigblue.oit.unc.edu alt.energy.renewable:6773 alt.solar.thermal:138

Here's a quote from Steve Baer's intro to the pamphlet, "Subsidizing the Sun,"
written with William Shurcliff, in 1988, about 4 years after the 40% renewable
US tax credits expired:

   I don't want to watch them try to subsidize the sun again. I don't care
   what the subsidies are to oil, coal or nuclear energy. If you read
   the following pamphlet you will see why I believe that it is futile
   to try to subsidize the sun. Our only hope is to take away competing
   subsidies. What I hate most about our government help is the kind of
   people it attracts. The "far-sighted" environmentalists who prove
   you need it, the weapons lab scientists who promise to solve the problem
   for just a few hundred million dollars and, least vile of the three groups,
   the fast buck artists who peddle the overpriced equipment. Another
   sidelight I don't like (actually I have kind of enjoyed it) is becoming
   a "crackpot" by repeating an obvious truth to people who will not listen.