Subject: Sun Juice 3 of 4

From: [email-masked] (Scott Parks)
Date: 13 May 94 22:05:38 -0800

-=> Note:
Forwarded (from: homepowr) by Scott Parks using timEd.
Originally from Don Kulha (1:125/7.0) to All.
Original dated: May 05 '94, 10:04

Money
Parts of the system were donated or loaned by some local 
businessmen. A local juice bar, 20 Carrots, provided the juicer 
and a blender (not yet in use), business experience and a 
commissary service in order to meet health department 
requirements. Construction was allowed in the shop of 
Zomeworks, a large Albuquerque solar equipment manufacturer. 
They also donated the batteries. The owner, Steve Baer, has 
always been known to encourage such independent thinking, and 
his support has been important to the success of Sun Squeeze. 
Solo Power financed the solar system, helping to keep the 
initial expenses low.
Labor was provided by Lu, and materials were salvaged 
(recycled?) as much as possible, so there's no solid accounting 
of what this particular prototype cost. It is estimated that the 
total cost to duplicate the system with new materials would 
be about $2,000. The only ongoing expenses are for fruit & 
veggies, cups, taxes & vendor fees. He charges from $1 to $1.50 
for a cup of juice; sometimes this depends more on how 
someone talks to him than what juice they buy. With him it 
pays to be curious, interested and nice.
The cart passed a health inspection and is licensed to operate 
anywhere in the State of New Mexico (should he want to pedal 
out into the countryside ...). There are tentative plans to 
duplicate the system to cover the downtown, uptown and 
University areas, as well as for special events.
Lu usually spends the workweek at the main campus of The 
University of New Mexico. Weekends have been tried at some 
local sporting goods stores and soccer fields. Business has 
been growing steadily, as he learns how to promote the product 
more effectively. He does have a small loan to pay off the 
panels, but is able to make ends meet at the end of the month. 
One of the accessories he's talking about is to hook up a pedal 
powered generator or juicer for customers who want to 
'squeeze their own'. There would, of course be a discount for 
them ... Also, due to his support of sustainable agriculture he 
plans to shift the type of produce he uses. He will be using as 
much local and organic produce as possible when harvest 
season comes around. 
Conclusions drawn
Once again it has been shown that solar systems are effective 
for niche applications even when grid power is available. Lu 
has launched this venture with equal hopes of making a little 
money and of exposing people to the potential of solar power. 
He is succeeding with both goals. As the sun climbs higher into 
the sky, he will add solar cooking demos and more educational 
literature to the operation.

___ Squish v1.01
 - Origin: Sonoma Online, HOMEPOWR Echo (707)545-0746-HST\V32b (1:125/7)