Subject: Re: solar charts

From: [email-masked] (Nick Pine)
Date: 11 May 1996 12:45:47 -0400

Margaret Cyrzan  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>I am interested in finding the position of the sun at noon at approx. 40 
>degrees latitude in July.  In other words at what angle is the sun from the 
>horizon.  Where can I get such information from?

You might look in the second (1991) edition of Duffie and Beckman's Wiley
book, _Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes_. At noon on June 21, the sun
gets up to 90+23.5-lat, ie 73.5 degrees above the horizon at 40 N lat. On
Dec 22 the max elevation is 90-23.5-lat, eg 26.5 degrees above the horizon
at 40 N lat. At other times of year, the max angle above the horizon follows
a shifted sine wave in Iqbal's formula, 90-lat+23.45sin((284+day)360/365),
where day is the day of the year from 1 (Jan 1) to 365 (Dec 31).
 
>Also, does anyone know where I might find a chart that shows the angle at 
>different times in the day for different months at different latitudes?

There's a formula in D&B's book above.

Nick