Subject: Re: Synthetic pesticides

From: [email-masked] (Dave Schmitz)
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 17:55:42 GMT

Quoting from earlier posts . . .

> >>>number of deaths due to cancer has risen astronomically in our
> >>>post war industrial age.  I don't think this is a coincidence.

> women getting older. The National academy of sciences estimates that 3% of
> all cancers are caused by pesticides. Gardeners use pesticides, and the
> debate is very relevant here.

> Pesticides pose a very serious health risk. Cancer is becoming more
> prevalent.

I grew up in a farm state, and in going back on visits, it is striking
how many farmers have come down with prostate trouble.  Does anyone
know of a connection?

Also, there are songbirds, whoops, _were_ songbirds, that I don't hear
any more.

As an interesting aside, y'all remember the Newsweek issue about pollution,
the one that had an article about the chemical plants on the lower
Mississippi, the one that had a back cover advertisement for herbicides
for a beautiful green lawn ?

Dave
                  o s
Disclaimer under c n tr   ion:  No one can have my opinyns   ///////
                       uct                         opinuyns  ///////
                                                   opiniuns  ///////
                                                   views.

---

From: Bob Klebba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 18:25:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Dave Schmitz,
> how many farmers have come down with prostate trouble.  Does anyone

I live in an agricultural area of an agricultural state.  I don't know about
prostate cancer, but I can tell you that when I go to the coop, I see a lot of
farmers with loss of pigmentation on the hands and forearms.  I know that most
of them are more careful nowadays with their chemicals, but it's pretty
obvious that they haven't always been.

Robert Klebba  USDA zone 4
Nicolet Instrument Corp.
Madison, WI, USA
"Submit to Barney"

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken Toews)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 14:15:08 GMT

>Disclaimer under c n tr   ion:  No one can have my opinyns   ///////

Your right about prostate cancer and the lower mississipi. 

For interesting reading about the lower mississippi and the pollution
there read

Ben Goldman, Mortality and Toxics along the mississippi,
Washington D.C. Greenpeace 1988

As for prostate cancer
     There have been over 200 independent studies that link 2,4-D
with various diseases. 2,4-D is found in 1,500 over the counter
weed killers.  The National Cancer Institute has linked pesticide
exposures to lymphatic cancers. Their study was based on 948
farmers who had cancer and an equal number who did not. Exposed
individuals were 600% more likely to contract cancer than people
who did not contact the pesticide. Farmers who used protective
equipment, such as respirators, gloves, and a change of clothing
after contact were able to reduce the risk by only 20%.
     Hazleton laboratories found that 10% of rats exposed to 2,4-D
developed brain tumours. 2,4-D is contaminated with dioxins during
manufacture. Dioxins are the most potent poison known to man. 
     The Veterans Legal Services Project of Washington D.C.
reviewed 285 different published studies of human exposure to
phenoxy herbicides and dioxins. They found that they caused
specific cancers, skin and liver disorders, reproductive and
developmental disorders, low sperm counts, spontaneous abortions in
the wives of the affected individuals, increased birth defects,
including skin, nerve, heart, kidney, and cleft lips and palate.
The study went on to say there was "sound scientific evidence" of
an association between the 2-4,D and a whole host of other diseases
including cancer of the kidney, testicles, stomach, colon,
>>>>prostate<<<<<, liver, psychological effects, immune system
disorders, gastrointestinal ulcers, and altered lipid metabolism.
     Another common chemical used for lawn care is M.C.P.A. (4-
CHLOR-2METHYLPHENOXY ACIDIC ACID). This is an organic acid that is
closely related to 2,4-D. The chemical industry will create a
compound similar to a pesticide that is found to be dangerous. It
takes years for the new chemical to be proven as dangerous as the
old chemical.  
     The two most common weed killers used around the home are 2,4-
D and diazanon. Diazanon is known to be a hazard to songbirds.
SOURCES: 

A. Blair, " Herbicides and non-Hodgkins lymphoma New evidence from
a study of Saskatchewan farmers" Journal of the National Cancer
Institute Volume 82 1990 Pages 544-545

Olav Axelson and others, " Herbicide Exposure and Tumour Mortality"
Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment, and Health Volume 6
March 1980 pages 73-79

Mikael Eriksson and others," Exposure to Dioxins as a risk factor
for Soft Tissue Sarcoma: A Population based case control study"
Journal of the National Cancer Institute Volume 82 March 22 1991
pages 486-490

National Veterans Legal Services Project "Human Health Effects
Associated with exposure to Herbicides and or their associated
Contaminants - Chlorinated Dioxins" (Washington D.C. National
Veterans Legal Services Project, 2001 S Street N.W. Washington D.C.A recent study in the British Medical Journal concluded that
men in western countries today have sperm counts less than half as
high as their grandfathers had at the same age. In addition the
increase in cancer of the testicles has increased 4 fold in the
last 40 years; and various birth defects to the male reproductive
system have increased 4 fold during the same time period. 
     Evidence is mounting that these changes are caused by exposure
of males very early in life to chemicals that act like estrogens.
Synthetic chemicals that mimic estrogens include contraceptives,
D.E.S. which was fed to beef cattle from the 50's to the 70's, and
pesticides.  We now live in an environment that can be viewed as a
virtual sea of estrogens. 
     Chlorinated hydrocarbons, ie pesticides, mimic hormones and
interfere with the endocrine system of wildlife and humans. Studies
link them to breast cancer in women and testicular cancer in their
sons and prostate cancer in older men. Thus breast cancer,
testicular cancer, and defects in the male reproductive system
including diminished sperm count all seem linked.
     Diminished sperm count is a serious matter. Many animals
produce up to 1,400 times as much sperm as is needed for fertility.
In contrast the average human produces only 2 to 4 times as much
sperm as is needed to fertilize a human egg.
Sources:
E Carlsen and others, "Evidence for decreasing quality of semen
during past 50 years." British Medical Journal Vol 305 1992 pages
609-613

A.Giwercman and others "The human testis-an organ at risk?"
International Journal of Andrology? Vol 15 1992 pages 373-375.

R Sharpe and others "Are Estrogens involved in falling sperm counts
and disorders of the male reproductive tract" The Lancet Vol 341
May 1993 pages 1392-1395.

R.Sharpe "Are oestrogens involved in falling sperm counts..." The
Lancet Volume 341 May 29 1993.

"Estrogen chemicals lower sperm count"  Chemical and Engineering
News June 7 1993 pages 28.

Plus 12 other research paper on the same topic indicating the same
conclusion.

New York office of the Attorney General. Ask for "The secret
Hazards of Pesticides Inert Ingredients" by Susan Jaffe, Michael
Surgan and Timothy P. Urban. Free copies of this report are
available from  the Office of Public Information NY State
Department of Law, 120 Broadway N.Y. N.Y. 10271.

"Lawn care pesticides. Risks remain uncertain while prohibited
safety claims continue". U.S. Accounting office Free Upon request
phone orders accepted 1-202-512-6000 Ask for document # RCED-90-134

THE UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO
DEPARTMENT OF PLANT SCIENCES

June 21 1993

Dear Council

RE: TOXIC PROPERTIES OF PESTICIDES USED ON CITY PARKS AND PROPERTY

In reply to the clerks letter and report of June 11 1993 I have
prepared comments on the toxic threat of pesticides listed in the
report. For the most part the information was gathered from BASIC
GUIDE TO PESTICIDES, S BRIGGS 1992.  In some instances I will list
other authoritative sources that include additional information.

INSECTICIDES

ACEPHATES: (Orthene) mutagen,carcinogen, fetotoxic, and feminizes
rats, kills birds.
BASCILLUS THURINGIENSIS: (Dipel) no problems other than use
promotes genetic tolerance in pests
BENDIOCARB (Trumpet) causes cataracts in people and kills birds
CARBARYL (Sevin) mutagen, carcinogen, potent at causing birth
defects
CHLOROPYRIFOS (Dursban) fetotoxic, delayed nerve damage
(demylenation) causing loss of use of limbs, kills birds, causes
multiple sclerosis and atopy (allergy). Arch.Env.Health, 48,89,1993
DIAZINON mutagen, nerve tonic, allergic dermatitis, damages immune
system. Kills songbirds and Canada Geese. Banned for lawn
application in the USA.
DIAZINON G mutagen, nerve tonic, allergic dermatitis, damages
immune system. Kills songs birds and Canada geese, Banned in USA
DICHLORVOS D.D.V.P. carcinogen, mutagen, birth defects, testicular
atrophy
DIMETHOATE (Lagon) carcinogen, mutagen, birth defects, testicular
atrophy.
KINOPRENE (Enstar) (E,E)- 3,7,11-trimethyl-2,4-dodecornoate No
information available.
MALATHION mutagen,birth defects, delayed nerve damage
MINERAL OIL (Dormant Oil) implicated in human cancer (IARC)
POT. SALTS OF FATTY ACIDS (Soap) safe

MITICIDES

DIENOCHLOR (Pentac) chronic studies not available.
FENBUTATINOXIDE (Vendex) chronic studies not available however many
related biotin pesticides cause birth defects.

HERBICIDES

2,4-D - causes cancer in humans and dogs, birth defects.
2,4-D MECOPROP - mutation, birth defects (Mecoprop)
2,4-D MECOPROP DICAMBA (dicamba) birth defects, mutation (dicamba)
British J.Ind.Med.50,340,1993
FENOXAPROP ( Acclaim ) birth defects
GLYPHOSATE: (Round up) carcinogen, mutagen. May contain
contaminants such as dioxane a carcinogen or POEA implicated in
fatal poisonings.

FUNGICIDES

ANILANZINE: (Dyrene) chronic toxicity unreported
BENOMYL (Benlate) carcinogen, birth defects, reduced sperm
CHLORONEB (Terraneb) Kidney, liver and blood damage
CHLOROTHALONIL (Daconil) carcinogen, eye and skin damage.
IPRODIONE  WP (Rovral) chronic toxicity unreported
PCNB: (Quintozene) mutagen, toxic to fish and birds.
SULPHUR: safe
THIOPHANATE METHYL: (Easeout) decrease body weight of newborn
THIRAM: mutagen, carcinogen, birth defects.
TRIFORINE: (Funginex) carcinogen IARC sci. Publ. 1980

               GROWTH REGULATORS

DAMINOZIDE: (B - nine) (Alar) cancer of blood cells
MALEIC HYDRAZIDE: (Maintain) cancer IARC 1974

Finally, I wish to strongly urge the use of diazinon and
chloropyrophos be discontinued. Song bird populations are beginning
to decline to tragic levels in part due to these pesticides. The
impact chloropyophos on multiple sclerosis and atopy ( allergy
mainly asthma ) means that it may create human suffering when used
in public locations.

Sincerely

(Signed)

J.E. Cummins
Assoc.Prof(Genetics)

End of document from J.E.Cummins

-- 
           0    >:<   Factoid: the average car Kills 32 moths, 67 flies, 
        _ /=_        9 Bees, and 2 Monarch Butterflies/ hr. But who really
......(_)>(_)........cares, Now watch that sucker swallow a moth.
Hah he's probably a vegatarian.