Subject: Re: Need info on testing for pesticides

From: [email-masked] (Van Gundy/Neff)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 11:42:56 -0800

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Lionel Deaf) writes:

>Could someone please post information on current technology for testing 
>well-water for presence and levels of pesticide residues.  Do government 
>agencies in the USA and elswhere do such testing?  Is amateur testing 
>possible by the homeowner?
>Thanks.
>dlb
>-- 
>                                             [email-masked]

As long as the well water is sampled easily (pump or artesian conditions 
present), the act of water sampling is relatively simple. If you would 
like to pursue the task on your own, contact an analytical laboratory in 
your vicinity. A good lab will provide you with the proper sampling 
bottles, sampling instructions, and advice on sample handling and storage.
Be sure that you check the cost of analysis before you commit; analysis 
for organic chemicals can be costly, and expense may impact the temporal 
or spatial parameters of your project. It is also worth checking around 
your locale to see if any agencies are presently offering free or 
discounted water quality analyses. This happens now and then when a 
potentially widespread community water supply contamination problem is 
recognized by the local or regional government. Chances are that if you 
haven't heard about it already, it doesn't exist, but it doesn't hurt to 
check. Good luck!

					William Neff
					Hydrologist
					Portland, OR

					[email-masked]
-- 
[email-masked]  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)