Subject: PANUPS: Greenpeace Retrieves Pesticide Wastes

From: Pesticide Action Network North America Reg Ctr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 92 13:11:42 PST

=========================================================
PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=========================================================
GREENPEACE  RETRIEVES GERMAN PESTICIDE WASTE

November 6,  1992

Greenpeace Germany recently retrieved twelve drums of illegally exported 
pesticide waste from Romania, and returned them to their origin in 
Germany,  to compensate for inaction by the German government.  The 
drums, containing herbicide and insecticide wastes, had been exported to 
Sibiu, Romania, from Saarland, Saxony, and Saxony-Anhalt.  Since May, 
the German government repeatedly promised to retrieve these illegally 
exported wastes and detoxify them in Germany, according to Greenpeace 
representatives.

Over 2000 tons of toxic wastes have been exported o Sibiu by German 
companies since September of 1991.  This the Greenpeace retrieval action, 
the Environmental Ministry for the state of Hessen has claimed that it is 
prepared to retrieve some of the waste.

SOURCE: AGROW, October 9, 1992;  Global Pesticide Campaigner,  
November 1992.

CONTACT: Greenpeace Germany, Vorstetzen 53, D-2000 Hamburg 11; 
phone (49-40) 311 860; fax (49-40) 311 86141.

==========================================================
This information is provided by the Pesticide Action Network North 
America Updates Service (PANUPS), a pesticide-related news service from 
the Pesticide Action Network (PAN) North American Regional Center. 
Updates are posted weekly on EcoNet in the "en.pesticides," 
"en.agriculture" and other appropriate electronic conferences, and 
distributed worldwide across the APC computer network. PANUPS is also 
posted in the Public Conference on RTK NET, on GeoNet in the 
PESTICIDES-BBS bulletin board, on FidoNet in The Ecology Network, on 
the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and on PENpages 
agriculture information service at Penn State Univ. Hard-copy compilations 
of these updates are also available. For more information about PAN 
activities and publications, contact: PAN NA RC, 965 Mission Street #514, 
San Francisco, CA 94103. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. Telex: 
156283472 PANNA. E-mail address on EcoNet: [email-masked]
==========================================================