Subject: PANUPS: PAN NA Conference

From: Pesticide Action Network North America Reg Ctr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 92 16:39:17 PST

/* Written  4:35 pm  Nov  4, 1992 by [email-masked] in igc:en.pesticides */
/* ---------- "PANUPS: PAN NA Conference" ---------- */
=========================================================
PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=========================================================

PAN NORTH AMERICA CONFERENCE HELD

November 4, 1992

Pesticide activists from North America and around the world gathered 
in Menlo Park, California on October 18-20 for the first North America 
Regional Conference. About 120 participants from 13 countries, 
including Mexico, Canada, Malaysia, Kenya, and Sweden, celebrated the 
ten-year anniversary of PAN International and worked toward a new 
agenda for pesticide activism in North America. Participants included 
all of the PAN International Regional Coordinators and 
representatives from 28 of PAN North America's affiliate 
organizations. Workshop and session topics included labor issues, 
access to information, state and national pesticide use reduction plans, 
PAN organizing in Mexico, and phasing out methyl bromide. The 
workshops emphasized information exchange and strategizing that 
ideas that activists could apply to their daily work. 

Three targeted pre-conference meetings set a productive tone for the 
main conference: "Getting On-Line" trained participants to use 
electronic communications; the information providers' meeting 
strengthened coordination between pesticide information activists; and 
a meeting of an international working group to promote sustainable 
agriculture at the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) 
helped launch this new project.

Brief summaries of the workshop proceedings will soon be available 
upon request   Contact: PAN North America Regional Center.
========================================================
This information is provided by the Pesticide Action Network North 
America Updates Service (PANUPS), a pesticide-related news service 
from the Pesticide Action Network (PAN) North American Regional 
Center. Updates are posted weekly on EcoNet in the "en.pesticides," 
"en.agriculture" and other appropriate electronic conferences, and 
distributed worldwide across the APC computer network. PANUPS is 
also posted in the Public Conference on RTK NET, on GeoNet in the 
PESTICIDES-BBS bulletin board, on FidoNet in The Ecology Network, 
on the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and on 
PENpages agriculture information service at Penn State Univ. Hard-
copy compilations of these updates are also available. For more 
information about PAN activities and publications, contact: PAN NA 
RC, 965 Mission Street #514, San Francisco, CA 94103. Tel: (415) 541-
9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. Telex: 156283472 PANNA E-mail address on 
EcoNet/IGC/APC: panna, PANNA E-mail address on InterNet: 
[email-masked]
========================================================