Subject: PANUPS: Methyl Bromide Update

From: Pesticide Action Network North America Reg Ctr <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 May 93 10:30 PDT

=============================================================
   PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

Methyl Bromide Phase Out Update

May 3, 1993

	In November 1992, the 81 signatory countries (Parties) 
to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the 
Ozone Layer listed the fumigant methyl bromide as an ozone 
depleter. Timelines for use and production phase outs will 
be considered at the 1995 Montreal Protocol meeting. Between 
now and 1995, the Parties are to "make every effort to 
reduce emissions of and to recover, recycle and reclaim, 
methyl bromide." By 1995, each Party is to limit methyl 
bromide production to its 1991 level, with the exception of 
amounts used for "quarantine and pre-shipment applications" 
(i.e., fumigating traded commodities to kill all organisms 
that might be carried to another country).
	A Technical Options Committee has been formed to 
prepare a report by November 1994 on the feasibility of 
limiting emissions and using chemical and non-chemical 
alternatives to methyl bromide. The Committee will meet 
approximately five times in 1993 and 1994. The first meeting 
was held in The Netherlands on March 24-29, 1993. The 
Committee is heavily dominated by northern governmental and 
business representatives. 
	Information from NGOs on alternatives to methyl bromide 
use will be critical to this process, because the worldwide 
phase out timetable will be set according to availability of 
alternatives. PAN North America is represented on this 
committee, as are two other North American NGOs. No 
developing country NGOs are currently represented, in part 
due to the lack of committed funds.
	The Montreal Protocol process provides for 10-year 
extensions on phase out schedules in developing countries, 
leaving workers exposed to methyl bromide far longer in 
these countries. Most methyl bromide use in developing 
countries is for production of export commodities and 
fumigation to meet quarantine requirements of developed 
countries.
	Certain countries and regions are likely to influence 
the worldwide phase out through their own phase outs. In 
January 1993, the U.S. announced that it will halt all 
production and use of methyl bromide by January 1, 2000. 
Denmark has proposed regulations that will ban most uses of 
methyl bromide by January 1, 1996, and remaining uses by 
January 1, 1998. The European Community (EC) was considering 
50% production and use cuts by 2000, but France (which is 
51% owner of Atochem, the ECUs largest methyl bromide 
producer) stalled the process in March 1993. (See Global 
Pesticide Campaigner 8/92, 11/92, 2/93)

Source/contact: Mary OUBrien, c/o PAN North America Regional 
Center.

=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network North America Updates Service 
(PANUPS) is a pesticide-related news service from the 
Pesticide Action Network (PAN) North American Regional 
Center.  PANUPS is posted weekly on EcoNet, the APC computer 
network, RTK NET, GeoNet/GEO2, the ECONET echo on FidoNet, 
the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and on 
PENpages. It is available free by electronic distribution.  
Hard-copy complimentations are also available. For info: PAN 
NA RC, 965 Mission Street #514, San Francisco, CA 94103. Tel: 
(415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. Telex: 156283472 PANNA. 
E-mail address on EcoNet: [email-masked]
=============================================================