Subject: PANUPS: Caltrans use reduction

From: Pesticide Action Network North America Reg Ctr <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 93 12:40 PST

========================================================
PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
========================================================

Caltrans Herbicide Use Reduction Program

March 22, 1993

The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) recently 
adopted an integrated vegetation management (IVM) program for 
vegetation control.  Caltrans is the single largest user of herbicides in 
California, using over 800,000 pounds and 400,000 gallons in fiscal year 
1990-1991 (this translates to 59 pounds and 29 gallons per mile of state 
road).  Following a 1989 out-of-court settlement of a citizen lawsuit to 
end herbicide spraying in one of CaltransU management districts and 
years of citizensU protests, the agency reviewed its roadside vegetation 
management practices through an independently prepared 
environmental impact report (EIR).  Caltrans developed its IVM 
program in response to the findings of the EIR.

The IVM program is based on integrated pest management principles 
and has twin goals: reducing chemical use and reducing the need for 
vegetation control.  Caltrans has set explicit herbicide use reduction 
targets, with stated goals of a 50% reduction by the year 2000, and an 
80% reduction by the year 2012.  Initial reductions in herbicide use are 
expected from decreasing the total area under vegetation control and 
substitution of other control methods, including mechanical, manual, 
thermal, cultural, and biological controls.  More substantial reductions 
are anticipated as Caltrans reduces the need for vegetation control by 
adopting new highway system design standards and establishing lower-
growing, less fire-prone species of vegetation.    

Each of CaltransU twelve districts is responsible for the preparation of an 
annual vegetation control plan based on the IVM program.   
Implementation guidelines will be drawn up by an agency-wide 
Roadside Vegetation Management Committee (RVMC).  The EIR 
suggested that these guidelines include: opportunity for potentially 
affected citizens to influence the annual plans; availability to the public 
at all times of each districtUs vegetation control plan; notification to the 
public on request of the locations and approximate schedule of planned 
vegetation control operations; and an appeal process to the chief of the 
division of maintenance for decisions made in the districtsU annual 
vegetation control plans.  A 10-member Pesticide Advisory Committee 
is being established to advise the RVMC.  At present, public 
membership on the committee is limited to one public interest group 
representative, although citizensU groups monitoring the program are 
pushing for more adequate representation.

The districtsU annual plans will establish Rspecial treatmentS zones.  
Herbicide use will be modified or prohibited in these designated 
environmentally or politically sensitive zones, which include:  
roadside rest areas; locations where homeless persons are inhabiting 
rights-of-way; roadsides where children walk to school; bus stops; 
campgrounds, parks and playgrounds; water-contact recreation areas; 
and hospitals (including convalescent and nursing homes).  Several 
citizensU groups are providing input to Caltrans regional maintenance 
staff to aid in the identification of sensitive zones.  

What you can do:  California residents interested in identifying 
sensitive areas  (including roadside adjacent to their property), 
requesting more public interest membership on the Pesticide Advisory 
Committee, or other involvement in local vegetation control planning 
should contact Alexander Kajani or Joanie Clayburgh at Pesticide 
Watch for more information.  Pesticide Watch is located at 116 New 
Montgomery Street, Suite 530, San Francisco, CA 94105;  phone  (415) 
543-2627; fax  (415) 543-1480.

Sources:  Draft and Final Environmental Impact Report on CaltransU 
Vegetation Control Program, Jones and Stokes Associates, Sacramento, 
CA.  July, 1991; available from California Department of 
Transportation, Division of Maintenance, P.O. Box 942874, Sacramento, 
CA 94274-0001; phone (916) 654-2926; fax (916) 653-3291.  Pesticide Watch 
memo, February 10, 1993.

========================================================
The Pesticide Action Network North America Updates Service 
(PANUPS) is a pesticide-related news service from the Pesticide Action 
Network (PAN) North American Regional Center.  PANUPS is posted 
weekly on EcoNet, the APC computer network, RTK NET, 
GeoNet/GEO2, the ECONET echo on FidoNet, the Sustainable 
Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and on PENpages. It is 
available free by electronic distribution.  Hard-copy complimentations 
are also available. For info: PAN NA RC, 965 Mission Street #514, San 
Francisco, CA 94103. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. Telex: 
156283472 PANNA. E-mail address on EcoNet: [email-masked]
========================================================