Subject: An Invitation to Try the Electronic Journal of Extension

From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 93 13:44:35 -0500

An Invitation from the
Electronic Journal of Extension Project Team
---------------------------------------------------------------------

     * Journal of Extension Now Available
       in Electronic Format on the Internet
       from [email-masked]

     * Please Forward this Notice to Colleagues,
       Appropriate Lists, Newsgroups and Forums!

We invite you to try the Journal of Extension, now available
in several electronic formats on the Internet via the
Almanac E-mail document server.

If you receive this message more than once, we apologize.
Please consider these redundant message as mount evidence for
your affinity with our journal :-)

THE JOURNAL OF EXTENSION
The Journal of Extension (JOE) is the official refereed
publication of the Cooperative Extension System.  Its articles
update and improve the effectiveness of 10,000 professional
Extension and adult educators in 16 countries.

The Journal also serves as a forum for emerging and contemporary
issues affecting Extension education.  It's written and
edited by Extension professionals, sharing with their
colleagues successful educational applications, original
and applied research findings, scholarly opinions,
educational resources and challenges on issues important
to Extension and adult educators.

The Cooperative Extension System (CES), a national educational
network, is a dynamic, ever-changing organization pledged to
meeting the United States' needs for research, knowledge, and
educational programs that will enable people to make practical
decisions.  Its mission is to help people improve their lives
through an educational process that uses scientific knowledge
focused on issues and needs.  CES is a unique educational system
that draws on the expertise of federal, state, and local partners
to extend research-based knowledge and technology from the
laboratory to the community via a nationwide network of educators
serving in the national interest.

THE ELECTRONIC JOURNAL OF EXTENSION
We publish the Electronic Journal of Extension (EJOE)
simultaneously with its established print version.
During our pilot project, we'll electronically publish five
issues (Winter '92 through Winter '93).

Subscribers to EJOE may request articles in text, PostScript,
and Rich Text Formats from current and back issues.  EJOE is
one of a few E-journals that offers multiple formats to
their subscribers.

Also, you may send search requests via E-mail that query a
collection of over 500 JOE articles published since the
Winter 1987 issue.

We plan as well to distribute EJOE as Gopher and WAIS
information services.  We'll support anonymous FTP access
to our article collection.  Other future enhancements
include the use of MIME (Multimedia Internet Mail
Extensions), and likely use of Adobe Acrobat's PDF (Portable
Document Format).

SUBSCRIPTIONS
To subscribe to the Electronic Journal of Extension, send
an E-mail message to [email-masked].  Place in the
message the line:

     subscribe joe

To request the current issue announcement message, which
includes a table of contents and abstracts, send an E-mail
message to [email-masked].  Place in the message the line:

     send joe announcement

To help us decide whether to continue publishing EJOE, we'll ask
a randomly selected group of subscribers to evaluate the
electronic format.

For more details on the Electronic Journal of Extension Pilot
Project, contact:

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
Internet Publishing Specialist
Electronic Journal of Extension Project Coordinator
University of Wisconsin-Extension
[email-masked] (NeXTmail accepted)
608-262-4552

---------------------------------------------------------------------
An EEO/Affirmative Action employer, University of Wisconsin-Extension
provides equal opportunities in employment and programming,
including Title IX and ADA requirements.

Acrobat and PostScript are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Inc.
Mention of brand names or commercial products does not constitute
endorsement or recommendation by the University of Wisconsin-Extension.