From: [email-masked] (Larry Jewell)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1993 23:31:25 GMT

The Lend Lease Act
                         March 11, 1941

From U.S. Statues at Large, Vol. LV, p. 31

    Be it enacted That this Act may be cited as "An Act to Promote the Defense 
of the United States."

Section 3.
    (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, the President may, 
from time to time, when he deems it in the interest of national defense, 
authorize the Secretary of War, the Secretary of the Navy, or the head of any 
other department or agency of the Government
    (1) To manufacture in arsenals, factories, and shipyards under their 
jurisdiction, or otherwise procure, to the extent to which funds are made 
available therefor (sic), or contracts are authorized from time to time by the 
Congress, or both, any defense article for the government of any country whose 
defense the President deems vital to the defense of the United States.
    (2) To sell, transfer title to, exchange, lease, lend, or otherwise dispose 
of, to any such government any defense article, but no defense article not 
manufactured or procured under paragraph (1) shall in any way be disposed of 
under this paragraph, except after consultation with the Chief of Staff of the 
Army or the Chief of Naval Operations of the Navy, or both.  The value of 
defense articles disposed of in any way under authority of this paragraph, and 
procured from funds heretofore  appropriated, shall not exceed $1,300,000,000.  
The value of such defense articles shall be determined by the head of the 
department or agency concerned or such other department, agency or officer as 
shall be designated in the manner provided in the rules and regulations issued 
hereunder.  Defense articles procured from funds hereafter appropriated to any 
department or agency of the Government, other than from funds authorized to be 
appropriated under this Act, shall not be disposed of in any way under 
authority of this paragraph except to the extent hereafter authorized by the 
Congress in the Acts appropriating such funds or otherwise.
    (3)  To test, inspect, prove, repair, outfit, recondition, or otherwise to 
place in good working order, to the extent to which funds are made available 
therefor, or contracts are authorized from time to time by the Congress, or 
both, any defense article for any such government, or to procure any or all 
such services by private contract.
    (4)  To communicate to any such government any defense information, 
pertaining to any defense article furnished to such government under paragraph 
(2) of this subsection.
    (5)  To release for export any defense article disposed of in any way under 
this subsection to any such government.
    (b)  The terms and conditions upon which any such foreign government 
receive any aid authorized under subsection (a) shall be those which the 
President deems satisfactory, and the benefit tot the United States may be 
payment or repayment in kind or property, or any other direct or indirect 
benefit which the President deems satisfactory.
    (c)  After June 30, 1943, or after the passage of a concurrent resolution 
by the two Houses before June 30, 1943, which declares that the powers 
conferred by or pursuant to subsection (a) are no longer necessary to promote 
the defense of the United States, neither the President nor the head of any 
department or agency shall exercise any of the powers conferred by or pursuant 
to subsection (a); except that until July 1, 1946, any of such powers may be 
exercised to the extent necessary to carry out a contract or agreement with 
such a foreign government made before July 1, 1943, or before the passage of 
such concurrent resolution, whichever is the earlier.
    (d)  Nothing in this Act shall be construed to authorize or to permit the 
authorization of convoying vessels by naval vessels of the United States.
    (e)  Nothing in this Act shall be construed to authorize or to permit the 
authorization of the entry of any American vessel into a combat area in 
violation of section 3 of the Neutrality Act of 1939.

Section 8
    The Secretaries of War and of the Navy are hereby authorized to purchase or 
otherwise acquire arms, ammunition, and implements of war produced within the 
jurisdiction of any country to which section 3 is applicable, whenever the 
President deems such purchase or acquisition to be necessary in the interests 
of the defense of the United States.

Section 9
    The President may, from time to time, promulgate such rules and regulations 
as may be necessary and proper to carry out any of the provisions of this Act; 
and he may exercise any power or authority conferred on him by this Act through 
such department, agency, or officer as he shall direct.