Subject: B-17 Boomerang Barbara, waist gunner James Baldock part 2
From: [email-masked] (Michael Fitch)

SUBJECT: B-17 Boomerang Barbara, from James Baldock's Family history.

                            Part 2

        "On most missions we were escorted by P-51's and P-38's and
occasionally some Spit Fires. They would run these planes in on relays. 
They were equipped with belly tanks or wing tanks which they used unless
they had to go into combat themselves, fighting the other fighters. In that
case, they would drop their wing tanks to make the planes more maneuverable.
Most of the time they were able to stay with us, or at least we felt that 
they were out there even if we didn't see them. Sometimes, however, the 
German fighters would meet our escorts at the French coast and engage them
in combat while we went on in. Of course this left us vulnerable to other
German fighters further on. This is what happened on our 21st mission.
        Our target was Brunswick, Germany, and we had about three solid hours
of German fighters that day. Our plane lost two engines completely and the
third was about half out. We had to drop out of formation but we were able to
stay within sight of them until we got to the North Sea. We flew just above 
the water all the way across the North Sea and English Channel, throwing out
flak suits, armor plating, guns, ammunition - anything to lighten the 
weight. We had to land at a B-24 base just inside the coast of England. The
plane was a total loss, but none of the crew received a scratch.
        We flew several missions into France, bombing airfields and trying
to locate the big V-2 rocket launchers and put them out of commission. These
rockets were very much feared by the English and did a lot of damage to the
cities, but not too much damage militarily. Anyway, I was a part of at least 
two missions when we went looking for those launchers which we knew were
installed somewhere along the coast of France. Since we could find nothing 
in sight, we assumed that they were hidden in the forests, so we just bombed
the daylights out of those coastal forests of France. The Germans had comp-
letely outfoxed our intelligence, however, by mounting the launchers on big
trucks. By the time the bombers came in, the trucks could be miles away.
        On my last mission, March 6th, 1944, the Air Force bombed Berlin for
the first time. We had tried a few days earlier, but had been turned back by
foul weather. That day, however, we were able to get in and hit several 
targets. Our group lost seven planes, the worst loss suffered by the 388th 
during the war. When one of the planes flying to our left was hit by anti-
aircraft, it caught fire and the crew bailed out. The crewless plane then
climbed upward barely missing us as we slid sideways to miss it. It then
ramed the bottom of our group leader's plane. Both exploded right in front
of us with parts flying all around. We had to take evasive action to avoid
being hit by plane parts.
        A rather similar thing happened on one of our earlier missions. We
had put up a double that day, and about half of the planes were manned by
new crews on their first mission. We hit our target with only light enemy
action, but it appeared we were bent on destroying ourselves. When we used
incendary bombs, which we were using that day, everyone in the group would
drop their bombs simultaneously because saturation bombing was the most
effective with incendary bombs. They are small, weighing only 100 pounds
each, and each plane carried 42. As soon as they were dropped, the bomb bay
door was closed. However, it was not too unusual for one of those small bombs
to get hung up on the bomb rack and block the rest. When that happened, one
of the crew members would have to get in there and kick the lodged bomb
loose, and of course the bomb bay would be open while he worked to jettison
the bombs.
        After we had dropped our bombs that day, we noticed one lone plane
about 500 feet above our group, bomb bay still open and someone working in
there. When the bombs were dislodged, all 42 came tumbling out, and one of
them struck just above the tail wheel of Lt. Brannen's plane - one of our
squadron pilots. It exploded, and we lost him.
        As I said, we had a number of inexperienced crews with us that day,
and we had noticed that some were flying a bit closer than they should. A
few minutes after Lt. Brannen's plane went down, one of our planes flew too
close to the plane ahead and chewed the tail off with his propeller. They
both went down. Later, the Intelligence conjectured that the plane that
chopped the tail off the other one was possibly a captured B-17 sent up by
the Germans to disrupt the action - probably practicing ramming tactics. That
was never confirmed.
        It was demoralizing to see three of our own planes go down - all
resulting from our own errors.
        After I had completed my last mission, I was very relieved and 
thankful to have survived combat. At the same time, I hated to leave my crew
(but not enough to volunteer my services) which had several missions yet to
fly.
        While in the service I received the Distinguished Flying Cross and
the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters. I have always felt that my 
experience in the Air Corps was, for the most part, a good one. It not only
gave me the opportunity to travel and make new friends, but allowed me to
fulfill a life long dream of flying which, as far as I know, would not have 
been possible any other way. I also received a deep sense of satisfaction
and pride in having served my country."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Michael R. Fitch    DISO/UNRIA    (DSN) 850-9961    (614) 692-9961    
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 E-mail:   [email-masked]   -or try-   [email-masked]