Subject: Number 104 in the Series--Lockheed F-104 Starfghter (10 of 20)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Jan 94 19:54:05 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The RF-104G (Lockheed Model 683-04-10) was the tactical reconnaissance 
version of the F-104G.  The RF-104G was more-or-less similar to the 
F-104G, but had the 20-mm cannon and its 725-round magazine removed 
and replaced by a camera system.  Lockheed built 40 examples of the 
RF-104G, the North Group delivered 119, and the Italian Group 
manufactured 30.  Most of the RF-104Gs had three KS-67A cameras 
mounted in the forward fuselage, although the aircraft for Holland's 
Koninklijke Luchtmacht had their cameras carried in an external 
ventral camera pack.  The machines carrying internal cameras could be 
recognized by the presence of a small bump underneath the forward 
fuselage which included part of the nosewheel doors.  In service, many 
RF-104Gs were subsequently modified to standard armed F-104G standard, 
although the reverse also happened as well.  

Some RF-104Gs were purchased by MAP funds and were assigned USAF 
serial numbers for record-keeping purposes although they never served 
with the USAF.  Other RF-104Gs were owned by the West German Luftwaffe 
but actually ended up operating at bases in the USA.  These planes 
were painted in USAF insignia and carried USAF serial numbers.  These 
serial numbers were as follows: 

61-2624 	Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter - MAP for Greece 
61-2625/2633 	Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter - MAP for Norway 
62-12232/12261 	Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter for MAP 
67-14886 	Messerschmitt-built Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter 
67-14888/14889 	Messerschmitt-built Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter 
67-14890/14891 	Fokker-built Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter for Luftwaffe 

Sources:

    The Lockheed F-104G/CF-104, Gerhard Joos, Aircraft in Profile No.
    131, Doubleday, 1969.  

    The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, Gallery Books, 1989.

    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Steve Pace, Motorbooks International, 
    1992.

    Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute
    Press, 1987.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

    The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday 1968.

    American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday,
    1982.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033