Subject: Number 104 in the Series--Lockheed F-104 Starfighter (11 of 20)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Jan 94 17:23:35 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The TF-104G (Lockheed Model 583-10-20) was the combat-capable two-seat 
version of the F-104G.  It was fitted with the NASARR fire control 
system of the single-seat F-104G and was equipped with underwing racks 
which could accommodate many of the same offensive weapons that the 
single-seat F-104G could carry.  However, the TF-104G did not have the 
centerline bomb rack of the single seat F-104G version.  As in the 
case of the F-104B and D two-seaters of the USAF, the 20-mm Vulcan 
cannon that the single-seat F-104G carried had to be deleted, some 
internal equipment had to be rearranged, and the internal fuel 
capacity had to be reduced.  

Since the TF-104G aircraft was so similar to the F-104D two-seater of 
the USAF, no prototype was built and the first machine was actually a 
production machine.  Including 48 aircraft assembled from components 
supplied by the European Starfighter consortium, Lockheed built a 
total of 220 TF-104Gs in six versions, generally distinguished from 
each other by the nation which was to receive them.  These versions 
were identified by adding a letter after their Model 583 company 
designations.  Models 583C through H were respectively versions 
destined for MAP delivery to Germany and Italy, and for direct 
delivery to Holland, Germany, Belgium, and Italy.  

One of the Model 583Ds was retained by Lockheed as a demonstrator.  It 
carried the civil registration number N104L and was nicknamed *Free 
World Defender*.  It was used by the well-known aviatrix Jacqueline 
Cochran to set three women's world's speed records.  On May 11, 1964, 
she averaged 1429.3 mph over a 15/25 km course, on June 1 she flew at 
an average speed of 1303.18 mph over a 100-km closed-circuit course, 
and on June 3 she flew at an average speed of 1127.4 mph over a 500-km 
closed-circuit course.  Ms. Cochran's Model 583D was eventually 
delivered to the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (KLu) with the Dutch serial 
number D-5072.  

Two ex-Luftwaffe TF-104Gs were acquired by NASA in July of 1975 and 
were given the civilian registration numbers N824NA and N825NA.  

Many of the TF-104Gs were purchased with MAP funds and were assigned 
USAF serial numbers for record-keeping purposes, even though they 
never carried USAF insignia.  In addition, numerous Luftwaffe TF-104Gs 
operated with training units in the USA and carried USAF insignia and 
serial numbers even though they remained German property.  These 
serial numbers are as follows: 

61-3025/3030 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for MAP 
61-3031/3084 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for Luftwaffe 
62-12262/12279 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for MAP 
63-8452/8469 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for Luftwaffe 
63-12681/12696 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for MAP 
64-15104/15106 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for Belgium under MSP 
65-9415 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for MAP 
66-13622/13631 	Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter for Luftwaffe 

Sources:

    The Lockheed F-104G/CF-104, Gerhard Joos, Aircraft in Profile No.
    131, Doubleday, 1969.  

    The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, Gallery Books, 1989.

    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Steve Pace, Motorbooks International, 
    1992.

    Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute
    Press, 1987.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

    The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday 1968.

    American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday,
    1982.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033