Subject: Number 104 in the Series--Lockheed F-104 Starfighter (16 of 20)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Jan 94 17:24:09 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-104H was a projected simplified version of the F-104G with less 
sophisticated and less costly equipment.  It was designed for export 
to nations which wanted a Mach 2-capable fighter but which could not 
afford the full-blown all-weather F-104G version.  An optical gunsight 
was to be fitted in place of the NASARR of the F-104G.  A two-seat 
version was also proposed, which was to be designated TF-104H.  

Very little interest was expressed by anyone for the F-104H, and 
neither version ever got past the initial design stage.  

Sources:

    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Steve Pace, Motorbooks International, 
    1992.

    Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute
    Press, 1987.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033