Subject: Lockheed F-104 Starfighter (18 of 20)

From: [email-masked] (joseph.f.baugher)
Date: 15 Jan 94 02:53:13 GMT

Over the years, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration 
(NASA) has operated no less than eleven Starfighters for flight test 
purposes.  

In August of 1956, the seventh YF-104A (serial number 55-2961) was 
transferred to NACA (later reorganized as NASA).  It was initially 
numbered 818, but was later renumbered with the civilian registration 
N818NA (the "NA" standing for NASA).  This airplane was used by NASA 
for various test flight purposes until it was finally retired in 
November of 1975.  It is now on display at the National Air and Space 
Museum in Washington.  

In October of 1957, NASA acquired two ex-USAF F-104A single seaters 
(USAF serials 56-0734 and 56-0749) for use in flight testing.
So far as I am aware, these planes were never assigned NASA serial
numbers F-104A 56-749 crashed in 1962.

In December of 1959, F-104B serial number 57-1303 was transferred to 
NASA.  It was assigned the NASA number of 819.  It served until 1978, when
it was finally retired. 

Between August and October of 1963, Lochkeed delivered three 
single-seat F-104G Starfighters to NASA, these planes being designated 
F-104N (N for NASA).  They were to serve as high-speed chase aircraft.  
These three planes were the only purpose-built Starfighters produced 
by Lockheed for NASA--all other Starfighters operated by NASA were 
transferred to it from the USAF.  

These three NASA F-104Ns were initially numbered 011, 012, and 013.  
013 was lost on June 8, 1966 when it became involved in a mid-air 
collision with the second North American XB-70A Valkyrie during a 
General Electric-sponsored advertising publicity photographic flight.  
The pilot flying the F-104N, the experienced test pilot Joseph A.  
Walker, was killed.  The XB-70A pilot, Alvin S. White ejected with 
injuries, but the XB-70A copilot, Major Carl S. Cross, went down with 
the Valkyrie and was killed.  

The two surviving F-104Ns were later given the civilian registrations 
N811NA and N812NA.  811 is in open storage for the USAF Flight Test Museum
at Edwards AFB. 

In December of 1966, NASA acquired another ex-USAF F-104A (serial number 
56-0790) as a replacement for NASA 813.  It was assigned the NASA number
820, and was withdrawn from use on October 30, 1983.  820 is now on  
outdoor display at Edwards AFB pending the creation of the USAF
Flight Test Center Museum.

Later, NASA also received some additional F/TF-104Gs from military sources.
In 1975, NASA received two tandem-seat TF-104Gs and one single-seat 
F-104G, giving them the civilian numbers N824NA, N825NA, and N826NA 
respectively.  N824NA and N825NA are ex-Luftwaffe TF-104G two-seaters
(carrying USAF serials 61-3065 and 66-13628), whereas N826NA was
originally a Fokker-built single-seat RF-104G which had originally
been built for the Luftwaffe but which had been serving with the 
Luftwaffe training unit at Luke AFB in Arizona (original German serial 
number was KG200).  All of their military equipment was removed, and
they were used by NASA for various flight test purposes. 

N824NA have been reported in some of my references to have been 
retired to the Air Force Flight Test Museum at Edwards AFB, although 
Mary Shafer reports that 824 is still out on the ramp.  825 and 826 
are kept at Ames/Dryden Flight Research Facility at Edwards AFB in 
California, where they are currently being used for various 
NASA-related flight test programs.  These are the only Starfighters 
still flying in US service.  

Thanks go to Mary Shafer for her report on the status of the NASA
F-104Gs.

Sources:

    The Lockheed F-104G/CF-104, Gerhard Joos, Aircraft in Profile No.
    131, Doubleday, 1969.  

    The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, Gallery Books, 1989.

    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Steve Pace, Motorbooks International, 
    1992.

    Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute
    Press, 1987.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "Round up the usual suspects."    *
2000 North Naperville Road	**************************************
P. O. Box 3033
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033		
(708) 713 4548				
intgp1!jfb                     Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]