Subject: Number 104 in the series--Lockheed F-104 Starfighter (19 of 20)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Jan 94 17:20:15 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-104S (S for "Sparrow") was the most potent version of the 
Starfighter to be built.  It was an upgraded and improved version of 
the F-104G that was built by Fiat primarily for the Aeronautica 
Militare Italiana, but has also been exported to Turkey.  

The F-104S is fitted with the more powerful J79-GE-19, rated at 11,870 
lb.s.t. dry and 17,900 lb.s.t. with afterburner.  It differs from 
the F-104G in being equipped with an R-21G/H radar which has 
moving-target indication and tracking capability that acts in 
association with with a medium-range radar-guided missile fit.  All 
previous Starfighters could fire only infrared homing air-to-air 
missiles.  The R21G/H also has contour/ground mapping and terrain 
avoidance modes, so that it can also act as a fighter-bomber.  As an 
interceptor, the F-104S could carry two underwing AIM-7 Sparrow 
semi-active radar homing and/or two AIM-9 Sidewinder infrared homing 
missiles.  As a fighter-bomber it could carry up to 7500 pounds of 
bombs, napalm tanks, or rocket pods on nine external attachment points 
(two on the wingtips, four underneath the wings, two underneath the 
forward fuselage, and one on the fuselage centerline).  

The improvements which led to the F-104G were first flight-tested by 
Lockheed on a modified RF-104G (USAF serial number 64-2624).  Lockheed 
then received an Italian contract to modify two Fiat-built F-104Gs 
(MM6658 and MM6660) as prototypes for an advanced all-purpose aircraft 
with improved capabilities.  The first Lockheed-modified F-104S flew 
in December 1966, and the first Fiat-built F-104S flew on December 30, 
1968.  Fiat produced 246 F-104Ss, most of them going to the Italian 
and Turkish Air Forces.  Deliveries extended from December 1968 to 
March 1979.  AMI serials were MM6701/6850, MM6869/MM6883, and MM6890.  
I don't know the Turkish serial numbers.  

The more powerful J79-GE-19 engine of the F-104S provided vastly 
improved acceleration, rate of climb, and maneuverability at all 
speeds and altitudes.  In addition, the lower specific fuel 
consumption of this engine allowed for increased range.  The F-104S 
was the most potent version of the Starfighter to be built.  

The F-104S was supplied to the 9o Gruppo of the 4o Stormo based at 
Grosseto, the 23o and 102o Gruppi of the 5o Stormo based at Rimini, 
the 10o Gruppo of the 9o Stormoat Grazzanise, the 18o Gruppo of the 
37o Stormo based at Trapani, the 22o Gruppo of the 51o Stormo based at 
Istran, and the 22o Gruppo of the 53o Stormo based at Cameri.  
Substantial numbers of F-104S fighters remain in service today.  The 
F-104S is expected to remain in service with the Aeronautica Militare 
Italiana until at least the late 1990s.  

Flight tests of a modernized demonstrator, the F-104S ASA 
(Aggiornamento Sistema d'Arma, or Updated Weapons System) began in 
December of 1984.  It had a Fiat R21G/M1 look-down/shoot-down radar.  
It had the ability to carry the Selenia Apside 1A medium- to 
long-range radar-guided air-to-air missile were carried and modern ECM 
equipment.  Most Italian F-104Ss were brought up to this standard.  

Specification of the F-104S: 

One General Electric J79-GE-19 turbojet, 11,870 lb.s.t. dry and 
17,900 lb.s.t. with afterburner.  Maximum speed 1450 mph at 36,000 
feet, 913 mph (Mach 1.2) at sea level.  Stalling speed 196 mph.  
Takeoff run with two AIM-7 Sparrows was 2700 feet.  Initial climb rate 
was 55,000 feet per minute.  Service ceiling was 58,000 feet.  Normal 
range was 1550 miles, and maximum range with four drop tanks was 1815 
miles.  Dimensions were wingspan 21 feet 11 inches, length 54 feet 9 
inches, height 13 feet 6 inches, wing area 196.1 square feet.  Weights 
were 14,900 pounds empty, 21,690 pounds combat, 31,000 pounds maximum 
takeoff.  Armed with one 20mm M61A1 rotary cannon with 750 rounds plus 
two AIM-7 Sparrow semi-active radar homing air-to-air missiles and two 
AIM-9 Sidewinder infrared homing air-to-air missiles.  In place of the 
Sparrows, a pair of Selenia Apside radar homing air-to-air missiles 
can be carried.  Up to 7500 pounds of bombs, rockets, napalm tanks, 
and fuel tanks could be carried on nine hardpoints.  

Sources:

    The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, Gallery Books, 1989.

    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Steve Pace, Motorbooks International, 
    1992.

    Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute
    Press, 1987.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

    The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament, Bill Gunston,
    Orion Books, 1988.

    The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday 1968.

    The Aircraft of the World, William Green and Gerald Pollinger,
    Doubleday, 1965.

    American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday,
    1982.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033