Subject: Number 106 in the Series--Convair F-106 Delta Dart (2 of 4)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Feb 94 17:27:46 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-106B (Model 8-27) was a two-seat combat trainer version of the 
Delta Dart.  63 examples were ordered on August 3, 1956.  The aircraft 
was originally intended as a pure trainer and was initially designated 
TF-102B and then later redesignated TF-106A.  The designation F-106B 
was eventually chosen when in late August of 1956 the Air Force 
specified that full combat capability was to be provided for the 
two-seater.  

In order to avoid the problems experienced with the side-by-side 
TF-102A trainer version of the Delta Dagger, a tandem seating 
arrangement was chosen.  The two crew members sat under a large, 
single-piece clamshell- type canopy.  The fitting of the aft seat 
reduced the fuel capacity and displaced some of the avionics to the 
weapons bay.  The external dimensions of the F-106B were exactly the 
same as those of the F-106A single-seater.  The F-106B was equipped 
with the Hughes AN-ASQ-25 fire control system which was equivalent to 
the MA-1 of the F-106A.  The armament capability was the same as that 
of the single-seat F-106A, namely a quartet of Falcon air-to-air 
missiles plus one Genie rocket equipped with a nuclear warhead, all 
housed in the internal weapons bay.  

Procurement of the F-106B was included in the third F-106A contract, 
but the F-106B definitive contract was not finalized until June 3, 
1957.  

The first flight of the F-106B was made on April 9, 1958.  The first 
eight aircraft off the production line were temporarily designated 
JF-106B for flight tests.  The first delivery to the USAF was made in 
February of 1959.  However, the F-106B suffered from the same 
development problems as the F-106A single-seater, and was not declared 
fully operational until July of 1960.  

The first 12 F-106Bs off the production line were initially allocated 
to testing, but they were eventually brought up to the standards of 
the rest of the F-106 fleet.  

The last F-106B aircraft were completed as Model 8-32s, with improved 
MA-1 fire control systems, supersonic ejector seats, vertical 
instrument display panels, Case 29 wings with revised camber, and with 
provision for 230-US gallon underwing tanks.  

Production of the F-106B ended in December of 1960 with the delivery 
of the last two examples.  

The F-106B participated in all of the F-106A modification programs, 
since the aircraft were so similar.  Like the F-106A, the F-106B was 
initially powered by the J75-P-9 turbojet which was later replaced by 
the more powerful J75-P-17.  All 64 F-106Bs built received Convair's 
new supersonic ejector seats with two-stage booms.  

In the field, each ADC and ANG squadron was provided with several two 
seaters which were used to perform combat proficiency training and 
checks.  They were fully capable of performing normal intercept 
missions as required.  

Two F-106Bs (57-2507 and 57-2516) were supplied to NASA for use as 
systems development aircraft.  They were redesignated NF-106B and 
assigned the civilian registration numbers N607NA and N616NA 
respectively.  

F-106B 57-2516 arrived at Lewis Research Center in October of 1966, 
where it was assigned the NASA number 616.  It was used for research 
and development in support of supersonic transport engine inlet 
design.  It was later modified with two additional jet engines mounted 
underneath the wings.  616 was transferred to the Dryden Flight 
Research Facility at Edwards AFB in January of 1979, where it was 
renumbered 816.  This plane was later loaned to Langley, where it was 
modified by the Langley Research Center in 1979 to evaluate the effect 
of lightning strikes on aircraft.  In 1988, it was fitted with 
Langley-designed and manufactured wing leading-edge vortex flaps in 
connection with the Advanced Technology Fighter program.  This 
aircraft has now been retired, and is awaiting a replacement.  

In March of 1981, F-106A serial number 59-0123 was transferred to NASA 
at Langley to serve as a spare for 816.  

F-106B 57-2507 arrived at Lewis in September of 1972, where it was 
assigned the number 607.  It was used for solar cell and ocean color 
scanning tests, which were designed to be used in water and land 
quality evaluation.  In May of 1981, 607 was transferred to Langley.  
It was cut in half in 1984 for use in full-scale wind tunnel testing.  

F-106B 59-2545 arrived at Langley on January 30, 1985.  It is a 
non-flyable aircraft used for various tests.  

F-106B number 57-2513 was used as a Rockwell B-1 chase aircraft by the 
San Antonio Air Logistics Center at Kelly AFB in Texas.  

Serials of the F-106B:

57-2507/2547		Convair F-106B-CO Delta Dart
58-900/904		Convair F-106B-CO Delta Dart
59-149/165		Convair F-106B-CO Delta Dart

Specification of F-106B: 

One Pratt & Whitney J75-P-17 turbojet, 17,200 lb.s.t. dry and 24,500 
lb.s.t. with afterburning.  Maximum speed: 1525 mph at 40,000 feet (Mach 
2.31).  Service ceiling was 57,000 feet.  Normal combat radius was 575 
miles.  Normal loaded weight was 35,000 pounds.  Dimensions: wingspan 
38 feet 3 1/2 inches, length 70 feet 8 3/4 inches, height 20 feet 3 
1/4 inches, wing area 697.8 square feet.  Armament consisted of one 
Douglas MB-1 (AIR-2A or 2B) Genie unguided missile with a nuclear 
warhead and four Hughes GAR-3 or GAR-4 (later redesignated AIM-4E and 
AIM-4G respectively) radar or infrared-homing missiles.  All these 
missiles were housed within the internal weapons bay.  

Sources:

  The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament, Bill Gunston,   
  Orion, 1988.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
  David Donald, Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner, Doubleday,
  1982.

  Post-World War II Fighters, 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaack,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986. 

  The World Guide to Combat Planes, William Green, MacDonald, London, 1966

  The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday, 1964.

  The Aircraft of the World, William Green and Gerald Pollinger, Doubleday,
  1965.

  General Dynamics Aircraft and their Predecessors, John Wegg, Naval
  Institute Press, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

  Flying the Frontiers: NACA and NASA Experimental Aircraft, Arthur Pearcy,
  Naval Institute Press, 1993.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033