Subject: Number 111 in the Series--General Dynamics F-111 (10 of 13)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Mar 94 17:16:49 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The FB-111B was proposed in 1979 as an improved version of the FB-111A 
powered by General Electric F101 turbofan engines in place of the 
Pratt & Whitney TF30s.  The fuselage was to be lengthened to 88 feet 2 
1/2 inches, and additional SRAMs were to be carried on underwing 
pylons.  According to the proposal, 155 FB-111Bs were to have been 
converted from existing F-111Ds and FB-111As.  However, the project 
was abandoned as being too costly and nothing was every produced.  

Sources:

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  General Dynamics Aircraft and their Predecessors, John Wegg, 
  Naval Institute Press, 1990.

  Post-World War II Fighters: 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaac,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers,
  Orion, 1987.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033