Subject: Vought F-8 Crusader (12 of 18)

From: [email-masked] (joseph.f.baugher)
Date: 15 Sep 94 00:51:04 GMT

In the next round of Crusader upgrades, 136 F-8Es were remanufactured 
as F-8J.  They were equipped with the more powerful J57-P-20A engine, 
which delivered an afterburning thrust of 18,000 pounds.  Provision 
was made for the carrying of two 300-US gallon drop tanks on the 
underwing hardpoints in place of the bombs.  Another important 
difference was that the boundary-layer control wing that had first 
been introduced on the French F-8E(FN) was added to the F-8J.  

F-8Js were the main fighter Crusaders on station during the last 18 
months of the Vietnam war (1971-72), although none ever actually 
scored a confirmed MiG kill.  By this stage in the war, the F-4
Phantom was the primary MiG-killer, with the Crusader operating
primarily in the reconnaissance or ground attack role.

Serials of F-8J: 

149136, 149137, 149143, 149145, 149149/149151, 149154, 149155, 149159, 
149163, 149164, 149170, 149172, 149174, 149175, 149177, 149180, 
149182, 149185/149187, 149190, 149195/149197, 149199k 149201/149205, 
149207, 149210/149212, 149214/149216, 149220/149222, 149226, 149227, 
150284, 150289, 150294/150295, 150297, 150299, 150302, 150305, 150307, 
150311, 150315, 150317/150318, 150320, 150323/150326, 150328/150330, 
150333, 150336, 150339/150341, 150343, 150346, 150347, 150349, 150351, 
150353, 150354, 150654, 150656, 150658, 150660/150664, 150669, 150670, 
150672, 150674, 150677, 150678, 150680, 150682, 150683, 150844, 
150855, 150849/150852, 150855, 150859, 150861/150864, 150868, 150871, 
150872, 150877/150879, 150882, 150882, 150885, 150887/150890, 150898, 
150900, 150903/150906, 150911, 150913, 150915, 150918, 150920, 150921, 
150923, 150926, 150927, 150932.  

Specification of Chance Vought F-8J Crusader: 

One Pratt & Whitney J57-P-20A turbojet, 10,700 lb.s.t. dry, 18,000 
lb.s.t. with afterburning.  Maximum speed: 1086 mph (Mach 1.65 at 35,000 
feet, 750 mph at sea level.  Cruising speed 551 mph.  Stalling speed 178 
mph.  Combat celling 47,800 feet.  Combat range 1576 miles with four 
Sidewinders.  Combat range 838 miles with six Mk 82 bombs.  Internal 
fuel capacity 1348 US gallons.  Dimensions: wingspan 35 feet 8 inches, 
length 54 feet 6 inches, height 15 feet 9 inches, wing area 450 square 
feet.  Weights: 19,751 pounds empty, 30,352 pounds combat (with four 
Sidewinder missiles), 31,318 pounds gross, 36,587 pounds maximum 
takeoff.  Armed with four 20-mm cannon in the fuselage.  Four AIM-9 
Sidewinder missiles could be carried on rails attached to the side of 
the fuselage.  Two 300-gallon drop tanks could be carried on underwing 
pylons.  A total offenslve load of 5000 pounds of bombs or rockets
could be carried.

Sources:
 
    Vought F-8 Crusader, Peter Mersky, Osprey, 1981.

    The Aircraft of the World, William Green and Gerald Pollinger,
    Doubleday, 1965.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

    United States Navy Aircraft Since 1911, Gordon Swanborough and
    Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

    Ray Wagner, American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition,
    Doubleday, 1982.

    The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday, 1968.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "You see, something's going to    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	*   happen.  Something wonderful!"   *
P. O. Box 3013			**************************************
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                   Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]