Subject: Number Thirty-Six in the Series--the Curtiss P-36 Hawk (Part 4 of 6)

From: [email-masked] (Joseph F Baugher)
Date: 8 Nov 92 19:08:09 GMT

>From Joseph F Baugher <[email-masked]>

In the autumn of 1939, the Norwegian government ordered twelve Hawk 
75A-6s with 1200 hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S1C3G Twin Wasp radials and 
four-gun armament.  This order was later supplemented with an order 
for twelve more, to bring the total to 24.  Deliveries began in 
February 1940, but only a few A-6s actually got there before Norway 
was overrun by the Germans.  The Germans captured most of those 
received in Norway (some had not yet been taken out of their shipping 
cases) and sold eight of them to Finland.  

These Hawk 75A-6s for Finland were supplemented by 36 
partially-completed Hawk 75As that had been seized by German forces 
from France at the time of the Armistice and assembled in Germany.  
These participated in the war on the Axis side when Finland entered 
the war against the Soviet Union on June 25, 1941.  These gave a good 
account of themselves, and some Hawks remained in service in Finland 
until 1948.  

Norway ordered an additional 36 Hawk 75A-8s with 1200 hp Wright 
R-1820-G205A Cyclone engines just before the German occupation.  The 
German occupation caused the A-8s to be impounded by the US government 
before delivery.  Six were delivered to Free Norwegian forces training 
in Canada in February 1941 and the remaining 30 were requisitioned by 
the US Army as P-36G, as previously described.  Wingspan was 37 feet 0 
inches and length was 28 feet 6 inches, and wing area was 236 square 
feet.  Weights were 4675 lbs empty and 5880 lbs gross.  Maximum speed 
was 322 mph at 15,200 feet and an altitude fo 15,000 feet could be 
attained in 6 minutes.  Service ceiling was 32,350 feet, and range was 
650 miles.  Armament was four 0.30-in and two 0.50-in machine guns.  

Sources: 

  Curtiss Aircraft, 1907-1947, Peter M Bowers, Naval Institute Press, 
  1979 

  The Curtiss Hawk 75, Aircraft in Profile No.  80, Profile 
  Publications, Ltd.  1966 

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William 
  Green, Doubleday, 1961.  

  Air Enthusiast, Volume 1, William Green et al, Doubleday, 1971.  

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548