Subject: Number Thirty-Six in the Series--the Curtiss P-36 Hawk (Part 5 of 6)

From: [email-masked] (Joseph F Baugher)
Date: 8 Nov 92 19:08:11 GMT

>From Joseph F Baugher <[email-masked]>

Twenty Hawk 75A-7s with Cyclone engines were ordered by the 
Netherlands, but the German occupation of Holland caused all of the 
A-7s built to be diverted to the Netherlands East Indies starting in 
May 1940.  They served with the 1st Squadron of the Royal Netherlands 
East Indies Army Air Corps, where they were caught up in the Japanese 
advance from December 8, 1941.  They were outnumbered and outperformed 
by the nimble Japanese Zero fighter.  By February 1, 1942, they had 
all been destroyed by the enemy.  

Sources: 

  Curtiss Aircraft, 1907-1947, Peter M Bowers, Naval Institute Press, 
  1979 

  The Curtiss Hawk 75, Aircraft in Profile No.  80, Profile 
  Publications, Ltd.  1966 

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William 
  Green, Doubleday, 1961.  

  Air Enthusiast, Volume 1, William Green et al, Doubleday, 1971.  

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548