Subject: Number Thirty-Eight in the Series--Lockheed P-38 Lightning (4 of 11)

From: [email-masked] (Joseph F Baugher)
Date: 24 Nov 92 17:22:22 GMT

>From Joseph F Baugher <[email-masked]>

The P-38H (Model 222-81-20) differed from earlier versions in being 
powered by 1425 hp Allison V-1710-89/91 engines.  The P-38H was fitted 
with automatic oil radiator flaps in order to solve a chronic engine 
overheating problem and enable military power above 25,000 feet to be 
increased from 1150 to 1240 hp.  An M-2C cannon took the place of the 
M-1, and the bomb capacity for each underwing rack was raised to 1600 
pounds.  In most other respects, this model was identical to the 
P-38G-10-LO.  

The first of 226 P-38H-1-LOs went into service in May of 1943.  The 
375 P-38H-5-LOs were fitted with B-33 instead of B-13 
turbosuperchargers which gave improved high-altitude performance.  

Empty weight was 12,380 pounds, normal loaded wright was 19,500 
pounds, and maximum loaded weight was 20,300 pounds.  Maximum speed 
was 402 mph at 25,000 feet.  An altitude of 20,000 feet could be 
attained in 6.5 minutes.  Service ceiling was 40,000 feet.  Normal 
range was 350 miles, and maximum range with external tanks was 2400 
miles.  

Serials of the P-38H production run were as follows: 

42-13559 	Lockheed P-38H-1-LO Lightning 
42-66502/66726  Lockheed P-38H-1-LO Lightning 
42-66727/67101  Lockheed P-38H-5-LO Lightning 

Sources:

  Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William Green,
  Doubleday, 1964.

  Famous Fighters of the Second World War, William Green, Doubleday, 1967.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  Wings of the Weird and Wonderful, Captain Eric Brown, Airlife, 1985.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter
  M. Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548