Subject: Number Thirty-Eight in the Series--Lockheed P-38 Lightning (6 of 11)

From: [email-masked] (Joseph F Baugher)
Date: 28 Nov 92 00:33:39 GMT

>From Joseph F Baugher <[email-masked]>

There was only one P-38K-1-LO built.  This prototype (42-13558) combined
a P-38G-10-LO airframe with 1425 hp V-1710-75/77 engines housed in nacelles
similar to those of the P-38J and driving broader-chord propellers.

The P-38K proved to be be little better in performance than the J-version
and the engines used were in short in supply.  Consequently, the
P-38K was not developed any further.

Sources:

  Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987

  The P-38J-M Lockheed Lightning, Profile Publications, Le Roy Weber
  Profile Publications, Ltd, 1965.

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William Green,
  Doubleday, 1964.

  Famous Fighters of the Second World War, William Green, Doubleday, 1967.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter M.
  Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548