Subject: Number Thirty-Eight in the Series--Lockheed P-38 Lightning (9 of 11)

From: [email-masked] (Joseph F Baugher)
Date: 3 Dec 92 17:26:26 GMT

>From Joseph F Baugher <[email-masked]>

The story of the P-38 continues with an account of its service in the 
European theatre.  

Having conducted service testing of the YP-38 in the late spring of 
1941, the 1st Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Michigan was selected 
to become the first unit to receive P-38s and P-38Ds.  The first 
Lightnings they received did not have their cannons fitted.  The 1st 
Pursuit Group participated with some success in the Louisiana 
maneuvers of September 1941.  Two days after Pearl Harbor, the Unit 
moved to NAS San Diego and joined the March Field-based 14th Pursuit 
Group, then transitioning to P-38D/P-38E.  Although these fighters 
were not yet combat ready, these outfits had the only truly modern 
fighters then available to the USAAF, and provided West Coast defense 
at a time that Japanese attacks on the US mainland were believed to be 
imminent 

Even though the defense of the US west coast initially took priority, 
plans were made in the spring of 1942 to deploy Lightning squadrons to 
Britain.  This deployment caused logistical problems, since the U-boat 
menace made shipping across the Atlantic quite risky.  However, 
development by Lockheed of reliable drop tanks for the P-38F-1-LO 
increased the ferry range from 1300 to 2200 miles.  Test pilot Milo 
Burcham actually demonstrated a maximum range of over 3100 miles.  
This made it possible to ferry the Lightnings from Maine to the UK via 
Goose Bay, Labrador to Bluie West One (Greenland) to Reykjavik, 
Iceland and finally to Prestwick, Scotland.  Following the victory at 
Midway, the USAAF felt sufficiently confident that the Japanese fleet 
was not about to show up off Santa Barbara that they decided to 
redeploy the 1st and 14th Fighter (renamed from Pursuit in May 1942) 
Groups to Britain.  By August 1942, 81 P-38Fs of four of the six 
squadrons of the 1st and 14th Fighter Groups had arrived in Great 
Britain to complete the first transatlantic crossing by single-seat 
fighters.  Two other Lightning squadrons (the 27th and the 50th) were 
held over in Iceland to assist the Curtiss P-40Cs of the 33rd Fighter 
Squadron in the flying of defensive patrols over the Atlantic.  On 
August 14, 1942, a P-38F flown by 2nd Lieut Elza Shaham shared with a 
P-40C in the destruction of a Focke- Wulf FW-200C-3 to obtain the 
first victory over a Luftwaffe aircraft.  

The P-38F-equipped 82nd Fighter Group arrived in Northern Ireland in 
November 1942.  

After flying 347 practice and sweep sorties during which there was no 
contact with the Luftwaffe, the 1st, 14th and 82nd Fighter Groups were 
transferred to the 12th Air Force in North Africa.  While in transit 
from Britain to Algeria, pilots of the 82nd Fighter Group were 
credited with the destruction of two Ju-88 bombers over the Bay of 
Biscay.  The Lightnings were soon in regular combat in the North 
African theatre.  The first of these took place on November 19, 1942 
when the P-38Fs of the 1st Fighter Group escorted B-17s on a bombing 
raid on the El Aouina airfield at Tunis.  The three P-38 groups 
contributed a great deal toward the establishment of local air 
superiority in the area.  On April 5, 1943, 26 P-38Fs of the 82nd 
Fighter Group claimed the destruction of 31 enemy aircraft as against 
the loss of six Lightnings.  In these air battles, mixed success was 
obtained Because of the tactics of the enemy, the Lightnings were 
forced to fight at lower altitudes of 15,000 feet, and in battles 
against fighters it was not entirely successful.  The twin engines 
restricted maneuverability to some extent and the Lightning had a 
wheel control instead of the conventional stick, which may also have 
restricted maneuverability.  Nevertheless, the Lightning was effective 
against bombers and had a sensational zoom climb that could rarely be 
matched.  It wreaked great havoc among Rommel's air transport well out 
to sea, earning for itself the German nickname "der Gabelschwanz 
Teufel"--the Fork-Tailed Devil.  

All Axis forces in the area surrendered on May 13, 1943, due in no 
small part to the contribution of the Lightning in cutting off 
Rommel's air supply route.  

Already prior to the Axis defeat in Tunisia, the Northwest African Air 
Forces (of which the Twelfth Air Force was a component) had begun 
preparations for the invasion of Sicily.  Attacks on Sicily, on 
Pantelleria and on Lampedusa were stepped up in preparation for 
Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily on July 10, 1943.  Lightnings 
were in the midst of the fray until Sicily fell on August 17.  The 
three P-38 Fighter Groups then concentrated their efforts against the 
Italian mainland.  On November 1, 1943, they were transferred to the 
15th Air Force.  By that time, 37 Twelfth Air Force Lightning pilots 
had made ace, the top scorer being Lieut W. J. Sloan of the 82nd 
Fighter Group with 12 kills.  Lieut H. T. Hanna of the 14th Fighter 
Group made ace in one day by destroying five Ju 87 dive bombers on 
October 9, 1943.  

Following their transfer, the 1st, 14th and 82nd Fighter Groups 
concentrated on escorting the B-17 and B-24 bombers of the Fifteenth 
Air Force in their raids on targets in Austria, the Balkans, France, 
Greece, and Italy.  However, on occasion, they escorted the medium 
bombers of the Twelfth Air Force.  

The first Lightning-escorted raids on Germany began in February 1944 
with raids on aircraft factories in the southern part of that country.  
In April 1944 the Lightnings escorted bombers in raids on the oil 
refineries at Ploesti in Rumania.  Bomb-carrying Lightnings also 
visited Ploesti on June 10, 1944 when 46 aircraft of the 82nd Fighter 
Group each carrying 1000-pound bombs paid a visit to the Romano 
Americana Oil Refinery under the protective escort of 48 P-38s of the 
1st Fighter Group.  On that raid, good bombing and strafing results 
were obtained, but in fighter actions against the Luftwaffe twenty-two 
P-38s were lost against 23 enemy aircraft claimed destroyed.  

Six weeks later, Lightnings flew their first shuttle mission to Russia 
and returned to their Italian base after spending three days at a 
Soviet base in the Ukraine.  Along with their P-51 escorts, they shot 
down thirty German planes and destroyed twelve on the ground.  The 
last Lightning shuttle mission was flown on August 4/6 and was marked 
by the daring rescue of a downed pilot by Lieut R.  J.  Andrews who 
landed his Lightning in an open field to pick up Capt R.  E.  Willsie.  

The three Lightning Groups also took part in the August 1944 Allied 
landings in southern France.  After that, they returned to providing 
fighter escort for bombers operating against strategic targets.  By 
the end of the war, 28 of these Lightning pilots had made ace.  

The departure of the 1st and 14th Fighter Groups for North Africa in 
November 1942 left the Eighth Air Force without Lightnings until 
September 1943, when the 55th Fighter Group arrived in England with 
its P-38Hs.  It began combat operations on October 15, 1943, making 
its first kill on November 2.  The next month, the outfit converted to 
P-38Js.  On March 3, 1944, the 55th flew to Berlin for the first time, 
a round trip of 1300 miles.  The 20th, 364th and 479th Fighter Groups 
soon became operational in England with P-38s.  

However, in air combat over Germany, the Lightning was generally 
outclassed by the more maneuverable Fw 190 and the later marks of the 
Bf 109, especially at medium and low altitudes.  However, the 
Lightning had a much faster top speed, a higher rate of climb and 
operational ceiling and was much better armed.  Once pilots had 
perfected fighting tactics which suited the Lightning's unique 
characteristics, they had better success.  The usual tactics was for 
the P-38 to climb to a high altitude and then dive down on the enemy, 
attacking him with a burst of firepower and then zoom back up out of 
harm's way.  The later versions of the P-38 were equipped with 
maneuvering flaps, and when their pilots learned how to use these 
flaps properly, the P-38 could hold its own when maneuvering against 
German fighters, often being able to turn inside their Fw 190 and Bf 
109 opponents.  

The large size of the P-38 was both an advantage and a disadvantage in 
combat.  The P-38 was quite large for a fighter, and Luftwaffe pilots 
could usually spot the Lockheed fighter at much larger distances than 
they could Allied single-engined fighters which were appreciably 
smaller.  In addition, the twin-boomed configuration of the P-38 made 
it instantly recognizable to the enemy.  However, this ease of 
recognition was not always a disadvantage--P-38s would often feel free 
to pursue Luftwaffe fighters right through Allied bomber formations 
with little fear of receiving friendly fire from the gunners.  

The Allison engines of the Lightnings proved to be somewhat 
temperamental, with engine failures actually causing more problems 
than enemy action.  It is estimated that every Lightning in England 
changed its engines at least once.  Nevertheless, the ability of the 
Lightning to return home on one engine was exceptional and saved the 
life of the pilot of many a wounded Lightning.  Experienced pilots 
could handle the Lightning satisfactorily at high altitude, but too 
many of the Eighth Air Force pilots did not have the training or 
experience to equip them for flying this temperamentally-powered 
aircraft in combat.  

The powerplant problems were not entirely the Allison engine's fault.  
Many of the reliability problems were actually due to the inadequate 
cooling system, in particular the cumbersome plumbing of the 
turbosupercharger intercooler ducting which directed air all way from 
the supercharger out to the wingtips and back.  In addition, the lack 
of cowl flaps were a problem.  In the European theatre of operation, 
temperatures at altitude were often less than 40 degrees below zero 
and the Lightning's engines would never get warmed up enough for the 
oil to be able to flow adequately.  Octane and lead would separate out 
of the fuel at these low temperatures, causing the Allisons to eat 
valves with regularity, to backfire through the intercooler ducts, and 
to throw rods, sometimes causing the engine to catch fire.  

These problems bedeviled the Lightnings until the advent of the J 
version with its simplified intercooler ducting and the relocation of 
the oil cooler to a chin position underneath the propeller spinner.  
When the P-38J reached the field, the Allison engine was finally able 
to attain its full rated power at altitude, and the engine failure 
rate began to go down.  

Earlier Lightnings had problems with high-speed dives.  When the 
airspeed reached a sufficiently high value, the controls would 
suddenly lock up and the Lightning would tuck its nose down, making 
recovery from the dive difficult.  In the worst case, the wings of the 
Lightning could be ripped off if the speed got too high.  This problem 
caused the Lightning often to be unable to follow its Luftwaffe 
opponents in a dive, causing many of the enemy to be able to escape 
unscathed.  The problem was eventually traced to the formation of a 
shock wave over the wing as the Lightning reached transonic speeds, 
this shock wave causing the elevator to lose much of its 
effectiveness.  The problem was not cured until the advent of the 
P-38J-25-LO, which introduced a set of compressibility flaps under the 
wing which changed the pattern of the shock wave over the wing when 
they were extended, restoring the function of the elevator.  

The P-38J version of the Lightning cured many of the ills that had 
been suffered by the earlier versions of the Lockheed fighter, 
producing a truly world-class fighter which could mix it up with 
virtually any other fighter in the world.  

In April 1944, the Lightnings of the 20th Fighter Group began low 
level fighter sweeps over the Continent.  That same month, the 55th 
Fighter Group used the "Droop Snoot" P-38J for the first time as a 
leader for other Lightnings in a bombing raid on the Coulommiers 
airfield.  Both types of operations proved successful, and these 
techniques were later used extensively by P-38s of the Ninth Air 
Force.  

The P-38s of the Eighth Air Force were rapidly phased out of service 
in favor of P-51 Mustangs--The 20th, 55th, and 364th Fighter Groups 
converted to P-51s during July 1944, and in September the 479th 
Fighter Group traded in its P-38Js for P-51Ds.  

The Ninth Air Force was assigned a tactical role (in contrast to the 
strategic role of the Eighth Air Force), and retained its P-38J/L 
fighters a bit longer.  Its first Lightning group was the 474th, which 
flew its first combat mission on April 15, 1944.  It was soon joined 
by the 367th and 370th Fighter Groups.  However, in March of 1945 
these two latter groups converted to P-47Ds and P-51Ds respectively.  
By V-E day the 474th was the only Fighter Group still operating P-38s.  

More than one in eight Lightnings were either completed by Lockheed as 
photographic-reconnaissance aircraft or were so modified after 
delivery.  Over 1400 F-5 and F-5 aircraft were delivered to the USAAF.  
Photographic Lightnings saw widespread service throughout the war.  
F-4s were first flown in combat beginning in November 1942.  They were 
operated initially by the 5th and 12th Photographic Reconnaissance 
Squadrons.  Later, these units and two other squadrons of the 3rd 
Photographic Reconnaissance Group operated various versions of the 
F-5.  In the North African theatre, the 154th Reconnaissance Squadron 
obtained its photographic Lightnings when its maintenance personnel 
modified a number of P-38Fs in the field.  The F-5-equipped 5th 
Photographic Reconnaissance Group was initially assigned to the 
Twelfth Air Force and became operational in September 1943.  However 
it was transferred to the Fifteenth Air Force thirteen months later.  
In the European theatre, where the 3rd PRG had briefly been based 
before transfer to North Africa, the first operational sorties by 
photographic Lightnings was flown by F-4As of the 7th PRG on March 28, 
1943.  This group successively operated F-4As, F-5As, F-5Bs, F-5Cs, 
and finally, during the last year of the war, F-5Es.  Operating 
initially from bases in England but later moving to the Continent, the 
Ninth Air Force had for Photographic Reconnaissance squadrons (the 
30th, 32st, 33rd, and 34th), which flew various versions of the F-5 
from the spring of 1944 until the end of the war.  

The F-4/F-5s usually flew alone without fighter escort and in spite of 
heavy losses, especially when facing radar-controlled Luftwaffe 
fighters, they proved to be of unequalled value.  

The Forces Aeriennes Francaises Libres also received photographic 
Lightnings.  They operated as an attached squadron with the 3rd PRG of 
the Twelfth Air Force.  One of their pilots was the well-known author 
Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who was lost off southern France on July 31, 
1944 while on a combat sortie.  

Sources:

  Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987

  The P-38J-M Lockheed Lightning, Profile Publications, Le Roy Weber
  Profile Publications, Ltd, 1965.

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William Green,
  Doubleday, 1964.

  Famous Fighters of the Second World War, William Green, Doubleday, 1967.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  Wings of the Weird and Wonderful, Captain Eric Brown, Airlife, 1985.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter
  M. Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548