Subject: Number Forty in the Series--Curtiss P-40 (5 of 10)

From: [email-masked] (Joseph F Baugher)
Date: 30 Dec 92 15:24:49 GMT

>From Joseph F Baugher <[email-masked]>

The designation P-40G was given to 44 existing P-40s that were fitted 
with H81-A2 Tomahawk IIa wings that carried four 0.30-inch machine 
guns.  These retrofits took place between August and September 1941.  
Company records refer to these conversions under the designation Model 
81-AG.  Serials of P-40s retrofitted were as follows: 

  39-162,176,181,187,190,191,196,197,204,206,209,217,220,221,226,235,238, 
  248,257,263,267,275,276,279,288 and 
  40-292,297,299/301,303,309,315,318,320,323,331/333,335/338.  

For some reason, P-40 Ser no 39-221 was unofficially designated XP-40G 
(company Model 81-AG).  

Some sources have at least some of these P-40Gs being assigned new 
Army serial numbers after these modifications were completed.  These 
new serial numbers included: 

42-14261/14274 		Curtiss P-40G Warhawk 
42-14277/14278 		Curtiss P-40G Warhawk 
42-14281 		Curtiss P-40G Warhawk 

However, these numbers conflict with those assigned to an order for 
P-40L-30-CUs which was cancelled.  

Sixteen of these P-40Gs were shipped to the USSR starting in October 
1941.  All those examples remaining in the USA were redesignated 
RP-40G in October 1942, where the R meant "restricted from combat 
use".  

39-221 was shipped to the USSR in 1943.  

For some reason, the designation P-40H was never assigned.  The 
designation P-40I was never assigned in any case, lest the letter "I" 
be confused with the number one.  

The designation P-40J was given to a projected version of the P-40E 
which was to have a turbosupercharged engine.  This study was 
abandoned in May 1942 without anything ever being built.  

Sources:

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William Green,
  Doubleday, 1964.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Anguluci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 1987.

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and Peter 
  M. Bowers, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.

  Curtiss Aircraft, 1907-1947, Peter M. Bowers, Naval Institute Press, 1979.

  The Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk, Ray Wagner, Aircraft in Profile, Volume 2,
  Doubleday, 1965.

  The Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk I-IV, Ray Wagner, Aircraft in Profile, 
  Volume 6, Doubleday, 1969.

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548