Subject: Number Forty-Seven in the Series--Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (2 of 9)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Jan 93 17:31:00 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The P-47C was the next production version of the Thunderbolt.  It began 
to leave the production lines in September of 1942.  It was externally 
similar to the P-47B, but had the forward fuselage extended 8 inches 
at the firewall and was provided with a new engine mounting.  The 
rudder and elevator balance system was completely redesigned.  The 
forward-slanted radio antenna mast of the P-47B was replaced by a 
shorter upright mast.  Overall length was increased from 35 feet 3 1/4 
inches to 36 feet 1 3/4 inches.  Perhaps the most important change was 
the provision of under-fuselage shackles which permitted a 166.5 Imp.  
gall. drop tank to be carried.  This extended the range to 1250 miles 
at an altitude of 10,000 feet and a cruising speed of 231 mph.  

The P-47C-1-RE production block was powered by the same R-2800-21 
engine which powered the P-47B, but the P-47C-5-RE block had the 
R-2800-59 engine which could be provided with water injection 
capability, permitting a war-emergency power of 2300 hp to be achieved 
for a brief time at an altitude of 27,000 feet.  

602 P-47Cs were delivered by February 1943, when the improved P-47D 
replaced it on the production line.  

Serials of the P-47C were as follows: 

41-6066/6177 	Republic P-47C-1-RE Thunderbolt 
41-6178/6305 	Republic P-47C-2-RE Thunderbolt 
41-6306/6667 	Republic P-47C-5-RE Thunderbolt 

Specs of the P-47C-5-RE: 

Maximum speed was 433 mph at 30,000 feet, and 353 mph at 5000 feet.  
Initial climb rate was 2780 feet per minute.  An altitude of 15,000 
feet could be attained in 7.2 minutes.  Service ceiling was 42,000 
feet.  Range at maximum cruise power was 640 miles at 335 mph at 
10,000 feet.  Range with a 166.5 Imp. gall. drop tank was 1250 miles 
at 10,000 feet at 231 mph.  Weights were 9900 pounds empty, 13,500 
pounds normal loaded, 14,925 pounds maximum.  Wingspan was 40 feet 9 
3/4 inches, length was 36 feet 1 3/4 inches, height was 14 feet 1 3/4 
inches, and wing area was 300 square feet.  

Sources:

  American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday, 
  1982.  

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 
  1987.  

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William 
  Green, Doubleday 1964.  

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and 
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.  

  Famous Fighters of the Second World War, Volume I, William Green, 
  1967.  

  Thunderbolt!, Robert S.  Johnson and Martin Caidin, Ballantine Books, 
  1958.  

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548