Subject: Number Fifty-One in the Series--North American P-51 Mustang (6 of 10)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Feb 93 17:31:20 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The P-51D/K with its bubble-top canopy was perhaps the best-known 
version of the Mustang.  It was also the most widely used variant of 
the Mustang, a grand total of 7956 machines of this type being 
produced (6502 at Inglewood and 1454 in Dallas).  

One of the problems encountered with the Merlin-powered P-51B/C was 
the poor view from the cockpit, particular towards the rear.  The 
"Malcolm hood" fitted to the P-51B/C was an early attempt to correct 
this deficiency.  However, a more lasting solution was sought, and it 
was thought that the Mustang might be amenable to being equipped with 
a bubble-type all-round vision canopy similar to those fitted by the 
British to later marks of the Supermarine Spitfire and the Hawker 
Typhoon.  Following discussions with the British and after examination 
of the clear-blown "teardrop" canopies of later Spitfires and 
Typhoons, North American Aviation secured an agreement with the Army 
to test a similar canopy on a Mustang in order to improve the pilot's 
view from the cockpit.  

One of the early P-51B-1-NAs was chosen for the initial modifications.  
The new bubble-shaped hood gave almost completely unobstructed vision 
around 360 degrees with virtually no distortion.  The large rear 
section did not reach its point of maximum height until a point well 
behind the pilot's head was reached, since wind tunnel testing showed 
that this shape was found to offer the best combination of viewing 
angles and minimum aerodynamic drag.  The Plexiglas of the hood was 
mounted in rubber in a metal frame, the sill around the bottom being 
very deep.  This was needed to provide the strength and rigidity 
required to avoid distortion and to prevent the binding or jamming of 
the canopy in the fuselage rails while it was being opened and closed.  
There were three rails, one along each side of the cockpit and one 
along the upper centerline of the rear fuselage.  The canopy was 
manually opened and closed by a handle crank operated by the pilot.  

In order to accommodate the new all-round vision hood, the rear 
fuselage of the Mustang had to be extensively cut down.  However, the 
amount of retooling needed to accomplish this was not extensive, and 
very little restressing of the fuselage structure was necessary.  

Having proven the concept, NAA diverted two P-51B-10-NAs (serial 
numbers 42-106539 and 42-106540) from the Inglewood production line 
and completed them as NA-106s with cut-down rear fuselage and bubble 
canopy.  These two aircraft were redesignated P-51D.  

One of the shortcomings of the P-51B was its limited firepower of only 
four machine guns.  In addition, the guns in each wing were tilted 
over at quite sharp angles, requiring a sharp kink in the ammunition 
belt feeds and resulting in frequent gun jams.  NAA took the 
opportunity afforded by the introduction of the new Mustang to correct 
this problem.  The gun installation was completely redesigned, and the 
result was the installation of three 0.50-inch machine guns in each 
wing, all of them mounted upright and all fed by unkinked ammunition 
belts.  The inboard guns each had 400 rpg, and the others had each had 
270 rpg.  However, Mustang users had the options of removing two of 
the guns and having just four, with 400 rounds each, and some pilots 
did actually select this option.  

Another visible change introduced by the P-51D was in the increase of 
the wing root chord.  The main landing gear was strengthened in order 
to accommodate the additional weight, but the wheels maintained the 
same diameter of 27 inches.  However, the wheel bays and doors were 
modified and the "kink" in the wing leading edge was made much more 
pronounced.  The "kink" in the wing of the P-51B was barely 
noticeable, but it was much more pronounced in the P-51D.  

Four P-51D-1-NA Mustangs had been completed with the original B-type 
canopy before the first P-51D-5-NA model (company designation NA-109) 
rolled off the production line.  

Readers may recall the problems with the installation of the 85-gallon 
tank in the rear fuselage of the P-51B and its adverse effects on the 
directional stability.  Things got still worse for the P-51D, in which 
the cutting down of the top line of the rear fuselage caused a lot of 
keel area to be lost.  In order to provide for better directional 
stability, a dorsal fin was added ahead of the rudder very early on in 
the production run of the P-51D.  Some of the earlier P-51Ds (plus a 
few P-51Bs) were retrofitted with this dorsal fin.  The extra weight 
and drag caused by this fin was quite small, but it helped a lot in 
improving the directional stability, especially when the rear fuselage 
fuel tank was full.  

The P-51D/K introduced the K-14 computing gyro gunsight, based on a 
British design.  The pilot needed only to dial in the wingspan of the 
enemy aircraft he was chasing, feed in the target range by turning a 
handgrip on the throttle lever, then get the wingtips of his target 
lined up on the bright ring projected on the gunsight, and press the 
trigger.  

P-51Ds were also constructed in NAA's Dallas plant, the Dallas plant 
building some 1454 of these planes before production finally ceased.  

Almost all Block-25 and subsequent Ds had underwing hardpoints not 
only for bombs and fuel tanks but also for various types of rocket 
launchers.  These included zero-length stubs for six 5-inch rockets or 
as many as ten if no drop tanks were carried.  Alternatively, 
"Bazooka" tubes could be carried in triple clusters.  

The Dallas plant also built 1337 P-51Ks, which differed from the P-51D 
in having an 11-foot diameter Aeroproducts propeller in place of the 
11 feet 2 inch diameter Hamilton Standard unit.  The P-51K had a 
slightly inferior performance to that of the P-51D.  Rocket stubs were 
introduced on the -10-NT and subsequent batches of the K production 
line at Dallas.  

A total of 163 P-51Ks were completed as F-6K photo-reconnaissance 
aircraft.  126 Inglewood-built P-51Ds from blocks 20, 25, and 30 were 
converted after completion as F-6Ds.  A few others were similarly 
converted near the end of the war.  All of these photographic Mustangs 
carried two cameras in the rear fuselage, usually a K17 and a K22, one 
looking out almost horizontally off to the left and the other one down 
below looking out at at an oblique angle.  Most F-6Ds and Ks carried a 
direction- finding receiver, serviced by a rotating loop antenna 
mounted just ahead of the dorsal fin.  Most F-6Ds and Ks retained 
their armament.  

Several Dallas-built P-51Ds were modified as two-seat trainers with an 
additional seat fitted behind the pilot's seat.  Serial numbers were 
44-84610, 44-84611, 44-84662, and 45-11443/11450.  These were given 
the designation TP-51D.  In order to accommodate the second seat, the 
radio equipment had to be relocated and an additional seat with full 
dual controls was installed behind the normal seat.  The standard 
bubble canopy was large enough to accommodate the extra seat.  One of 
the TP-51Ds was modified for use as a special high-speed observation 
post by Supreme Allied Commander General Dwight D. Eisenhower, which 
he used to inspect the Normandy beach-heads in June of 1944.  

The P-51D began to arrive in Europe in quantity in March of 1944.  The 
55th Fighter Group was the first to get the P-51D, trading in its 
P-38s for the new bubble-topped fighters.  The change from the 
torqueless twin-engined P-38 to the single-engined P-51 did cause some 
initial problems, and the lack of directional stability caused by the 
presence of a full fuselage tank took a lot of getting used to.  
However, once their pilots became fully adjusted to their new mounts, 
they found that the P-51D possessed a marked edge in both speed and 
maneuverability over all Luftwaffe piston-engined fighters at 
altitudes above 20,000 feet.  However, Luftwaffe pilots considered the 
Mustang to be rather vulnerable to cannon fire, particularly the 
liquid-cooled Merlin engine which could be put out of action by just 
one hit.  

The Mustang was the only Allied fighter with sufficient range to 
accompany bombers on their "shuttle" missions in which landings were 
made in Russia after deep-penetration targets had been attacked from 
English bases.  The Mustangs also participated in low-altitude strikes 
on Luftwaffe airfields, a rather dangerous undertaking as these fields 
were very heavily defended by flak.  

In 1943, the Allies were aware that the Luftwaffe was planning to 
introduce jet-powered aircraft over Germany, and that these would 
provide a serious threat to Allied bombers and to their escorting 
fighters.  Mustangs first encountered Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet
rocket-powered fighters on July 18, 1944, when a pair of Me 163s flew 
unscathed through a flight of P-51s.  On August 5, 1944, Me 163s 
destroyed three bombers and shot down three escorting P-51s.  On 
August 16, a Mustang flown by Lt. Col. John B. Murphy of the 359th 
Fighter Group finally managed to shoot down a Me 163.  Although the Me 
163 gained much publicity and threw the Allied high command into a 
near panic, the rocket-powered fighter had an extremely short 
endurance in the air and was very dangerous to fly.  It is doubtful 
that these rocket-powered fighters destroyed more than a dozen or so 
Allied aircraft during the entire course of the war.  

Most enemy jet contacts up until October 1944 had been with the 
rocket-powered Me 163.  In that month, the Messerschmitt Me 262 began 
to appear in combat.  The first jet kill by a Mustang was on October 
7, 1944, when Lt. Urban L. Dreq of the 361st Fighter Group shot down 
two Me 262s while they were taking off from their base.  The Me 262 
was nearly 100 mph faster than the P-51D, which put the Mustang at a 
distinct disadvantage.  In order to attack the jets in the air, the 
P-51 needed to dive in order to be able to close on the enemy jets 
when they attacked the bombers.  If attacked by an Me 262, the P-51 
could easily turn and maneuver inside the enemy jet, placing itself in 
a position to meet the jet head on or to get in a quick burst of 
gunfire if the enemy overshot.  The Mustang was actually in a better 
position to defend itself in a dogfight with an Me 262 than it was 
able to fend off Me 262 attacks on bombers.  

Eventually it was decided that the best strategy in fighting the jets 
was to jump them while they were taking off from or landing at their 
bases.  The early jets had very poor acceleration and were thus 
extremely vulnerable during takeoff and landing.  The usual tactic was 
for scores of Mustangs to circle high over known Me 262 bases, daring 
the jets to take off.  If any rose to the challenge, diving Mustangs 
would be upon them almost before their wheels could be retracted.  If 
the Messerschmitts refused to take the bait, the bases would be 
strafed and the jets would be destroyed on the ground.  

Units operating the P-51D in the ETO included the following: 

	4th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force 
	20th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force 
	27th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force 
	31th Fighter Group, 15th Air Force 
	52nd Fighter Group, 15th Air Force 
	55th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force 
	67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, 9th Air Force 
	68th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, 9th Air Force 
	69th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, 9th Air Force 
	78th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	325th Fighter Group, 15th Air Force.  
	332nd Fighter Group, 15th Air Force.  This was the famous all-black 
		outfit.  
	339th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	352nd Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	353nd Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	354th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force.  
	355th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	356th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	357th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	359th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	361th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	363rd Fighter Group, 9th Air Force.  
	364th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  
	370th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force.  
	479th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.  

Several Mustang pilots became "ace-in-a-day", scoring five or more 
victories during one mission: Lt. William R. Beyer of the 361st 
Fighter Group, Capt. William T. Whisner, Capt. Donald S. Bryan of 
the 352nd Group, Lt. Claude J. Crenshaw of the 359th Group, Capt L.  
K. Carson of the 357th Group, Lt. J. S. Daniel of the 339th Group, 
Capt. William J. Hovde of the 355th Group, and Mister Right Stuff 
himself, Capt. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager of the 357th Group.  Maj.  
George Preddy of the 352th Group held the ETO Allied record of six victories 
on one mission, which he achieved on August 6, 1944.  Major Preddy was 
the top USAAF Mustang ace of the war, scoring 23.83 out of his 26.83 
victories while flying a P-51. (Why this odd fraction?) 

The top-scoring Mustang-equipped fighter group was the 357th, with 609 
air and 106 ground kills from February 11, 1944 to April 25, 1945.  

By the time that Germany surrendered, all of the Escort Groups of the 
8th Air Force and some of the groups in the 9th Air force had 
converted to P-51s.  

Because of the higher priority of the war in Europe, the P-51D Mustang 
did not arrive in the Pacific until late in 1944.  P-51Ds were 
initially based in the Philippines and on Iwo Jima.  By that stage of 
the war, Japanese fighter opposition was rare, and Philippine-based 
Mustangs mostly performed close-support work.  However, while flying 
over Japanese-occupied regions of Luzon, Captain William A. Shomo 
managed to shoot down six Tonys and one bomber in one day while flying 
an F-6D photo-recon aircraft.  For this action, he was awarded the 
Congressional Medal of Honor.  

As Japanese resistance on Luzon came to an end, the Philippine-based 
Mustangs were used to bomb and strafe Japanese forces based on 
Formosa.  Iwo Jima-based Mustangs flew the first escort missions with 
B-29 bombers attacking Japan, and they undertook the first land-based 
fighter strikes against Tokyo on April 7, 1945, when B-29s hit the 
Nakajima Aircraft Engine Factory.  Such missions involved flights 
lasting up to seven or eight hours, covering distances of over 1500 
miles.  When General Curtis LeMay decided that most B-29 missions 
would take place at night from medium altitudes, the Iwo Jima-based 
Mustangs went over to ground attack missions against Japanese 
airfields.  Extensive use was made of the five-inch rockets which were 
carried under each wing.  

The P-51D remained in service in considerable numbers with the USAAF 
for many years after the Second World War ended.  In 1948, the 
newly-formed USAF eliminated the P-for-pursuit category and replaced 
it with F-for-fighter.  The designation of the P-51 was changed to 
F-51.  In addition, the old category of F for photographic 
reconnaissance was eliminated, and F-6D and F-6K photographic 
reconnaissance aircraft became RF-51D and RF-51K respectively.  Two 
seat F-6D conversions became TRF-51D.  

In May 1946, the Air National Guard (ANG) was reformed and ANG fighter 
units received most of the P-51D/K Mustangs withdrawn from regular 
USAAF service.  By December of 1948, over 700 Mustangs were serving 
with 28 ANG squadrons.  RF-51D reconnaissance aircraft also served 
with the ANG.  No fewer than 22 of the 27 ANG wings saw service in the 
Korean War.  

The Mustang was in action once again when the Korean War began on June 
25, 1950.  The Mustang was better suited to the small airstrips of 
Korea than were the F-80s and F-82s based in Japan.  Japan-based 
F-51Ds were immediately transferred to Korea and pressed into service 
in an attempt to halt the rapid North Korean advance.  The Mustangs 
were based at Kimpo, Pusan, and Pohang, flying out of one field then 
another in close support operations against the advancing North 
Koreans.  They were called on to carry the brunt of air support 
missions during these difficult early days of the war, since the jet 
aircraft of the day did not have enough range to permit sufficient 
loiter time over the target.  

In order to build up close support forces, 145 F-51s were brought over 
from the USA aboard the aircraft carrier USS *Boxer*.  These planes 
were quickly assembled and flown out to combat units.  The 18th 
Fighter-Bomber Wing gave up its F-80 jets for Mustangs, perhaps one of 
the few occasions in history in which a combat outfit traded in its 
jets for piston-engined aircraft.  The Mustangs were instrumental in 
halting the North Korean advance, giving United Nations forces enough 
time to build up sufficient strength to be able to go over onto the 
offensive.  Mustangs flew 62,607 tactical support combat missions.  
351 Mustangs were lost in action, most of them the victims of 
antiaircraft fire.  Although their primary mission was close support, 
they did manage to shoot down a few North Korean Yaks when these 
aircraft made their infrequent appearances.  When Mustangs were jumped 
by Chinese-piloted MiG-15 jet fighters, however, they were faced with 
an opponent with a far superior performance.  When this happened, 
there was little the Mustangs could do save to try to turn inside the 
MiGs, hit the deck, and run for home.  

The last American active-duty Mustang was P-51D-30-NA Ser No 44-74936, 
which was finally withdrawn from service with the West Virginia ANG in 
1957.  This airplane is now on display at the WPAFB Museum in Dayton, 
Ohio.  It is, however, painted as P-51D-15-NA Ser No. 44-15174.  

Specs of the P-51D-25-NA: one 1695 hp Packard Merlin V-1650-7 
twelve-cylinder Vee liquid-cooled engine.  Maximum speed: 395 mph at 
5000 feet, 416 mph at 10,000 feet, 424 mph at 20,000 feet, 437 mph at 
25,000 feet.  Range was 950 miles at 395 mph at 25,000 feet (clean), 
2300 miles with maximum fuel (including drop tanks) of 489 US gallons 
under most economical cruise conditions.  Initial climb rate was 3475 
feet per minute.  An altitude of 5000 feet could be reached in 1l7 
minutes, 10,000 feet in 3.3 minutes, 20,000 feet in 7.3 minutes.  
Service ceiling was 41,900 feet.  Weights were 7125 pounds empty, 
10,100 pounds normal loaded, 12,100 pounds maximum.  Wingspan was 37 
feet 0 1/4 inches, length was 32 feet 3 inches, height was 8 feet 8 
inches, and wing area was 233 square feet.  

Serials of the P-51D: 

44-11153/11352 		North American P-51D-5-NT Mustang 
44-12853/13252 		North American P-51D-20-NT Mustang 
44-13253/14052 		North American P-51D-5-NA Mustang 
44-14053/14852 		North American P-51D-10-NA Mustang 
44-14853/15752 		North American P-51D-15-NA Mustang 
44-63160/64159 		North American P-51D-20-NA Mustang 
44-72027/72626 		North American P-51D-20-NA Mustang 
44-72627/74226 		North American P-51D-25-NA Mustang 
44-72227/75026 		North American P-51D-30-NA Mustang 
44-84390/84989 		North American P-51D-25-NT Mustang 
45-11343/11542 		North American P-51D-25-NT Mustang 
45-11543/11742 		North American P-51D-30-NT Mustang 

Serials of the P-51K:

44-11353/11552 		North American P-51K-1-NT Mustang 
44-11553/11952		North American P-51K-5-NT Mustang 
44-11953/12852 		North American P-51K-10-NT Mustang 

Sources:

  American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday, 
  1982.  

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion Books, 
  1987.  

  War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William 
  Green, Doubleday 1964.  

  United States Military Aircraft since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and 
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.  

  Fighting Mustang: The Chronicle of the P-51, William N.  Hess, 
  Doubleday, 1970.  

  Classic Warplanes: North American P-51 Mustang, Bill Gunston, Gallery 
  Books, 1990.  

  Famous Fighters of the Second World War, Volume I, William Green, 
  1967.  

Joe Baugher       AT&T Bell Laboratories    2000 North Naperville Road 
		  Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033.   (708) 713-4548