Subject: Number Sixty-Three in the Series--Bell P-63 Kingcobra (2 of 8)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Apr 93 16:34:32 GMT

>From [email-masked]

Although the P-63 never served with the USAAF in any combat role, it 
was, however, to serve with the USAAF in an another completely 
different capacity.  This was, in fact, one of the most strange and 
bizarre roles ever fulfilled by any military aircraft, namely that of 
manned flying target! 

The first flying target Kingcobras were created by taking five 
P-63A-9s off the production line, redesignating them RP-63A-11, and 
subjecting them to extensive modifications.  First, they were stripped 
of all armament.  Next, all internal armor was removed.  The wings, 
tail, fuselage, and rear canopy were then reskinned with over a ton of 
heavy sheet metal.  A special frangible bullet for firing by gunnery 
students was designed.  The bullet was manufactured of lead and 
graphite compound, so chosen that the bullet would easily shatter upon 
impact.  Pressure-sensitive plates were fitted to the skin so that 
hits by the frangible ammunition on the airplane could be recorded.  A 
light in the propeller hub (situated where the cannon used to be) 
would flash whenever a hit was registered, causing crews to give the 
aircraft the nickname "Pinball".  The name stuck.  

It was thought that the dorsal air scoop of the "Pinball" would be its 
most vulnerable spot, so various styles of air scoop were tested.  The 
first RP-63A-11, 42-69647, had a much smaller "clamshell" scoop in 
place of the regular intake.  The second RP-63A-11, 42-69654, had a 
flush intake with no scoop at all.  The third and fifth (42-69769 and 
42-69801) also had "clamshell" intakes, whereas the fourth (42-69771) 
had a normal intake.  Eventually, the "clamshell" type of intake was 
adopted as standard.  

After these five modifications were completed, 95 production versions 
of the "Pinball" were produced under the designation RP-63A-12.  

In 1948, surviving RP-63A aircraft were redesignated QF-63A, although 
they were never used as pilotless drones.  

Twenty-four P-63As were modified as two seaters with dual controls as 
advanced trainers.  They were redesignated TP-63A.  

Serials of the P-63As converted as flying targets were as follows: 

42-69647 	Bell RP-63A-11 Kingcobra 
42-69654 	Bell RP-63A-11 Kingcobra 
42-69769 	Bell RP-63A-11 Kingcobra 
42-69771 	Bell RP-63A-11 Kingcobra 
42-69801 	Bell RP-63A-11 Kingcobra 
42-69880/69974  Bell RP-63A-12 Kingcobra 

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.  

  War Planes of the Second World War, William Green, Doubleday, 1964.  

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and 
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.  

  P-39 Airacobra In Action, Ernie McDowell, Squadron/Signal 
  Publications, 1980.  

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033