Subject: Number Sixty-Three in the Series--Bell P-63 Kingcobra (5 of 8)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Apr 93 16:10:21 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The P-63D was the next progressive development of the Kingcobra series.  
It featured an Allison V-1710-109 engine rated at 1425 hp for take 
off.  The wing had a ten-inch increase in span to 39 feet 2 inches, 
gross area being increased to 255 square feet.  It differed from the 
late production blocks of the P-63C in not having the rear ventral fin 
extension.  However, the most noticeable new feature of the P-63D was 
the use of a rearward-sliding bubble canopy in place of the familiar 
framed canopy with the two car-like side doors.  

The first P-63D (serial number 43-11718) flew early in 1945.  The 
P-63D was the "hottest" Cobra yet to appear.  Maximum speed was 437 
mph at 30,000 feet, service ceiling was 39,000 feet, and an altitude 
of 28,000 feet could be reached in 11.2 minutes.  Normal range was 950 
miles, and maximum ferry range was 2000 miles.  Dimensions were 
wingspan 39 feet 2 inches, length 32 feet 8 inches, height 11 feet 2 
inches, and wing area 255 square feet.  Weights were 7076 pounds 
empty, 8740 pounds gross, and 11,100 pounds maximum loaded.  

Armament of the P-63D was the same as that of earlier Kingcobras--a 
single 37-mm cannon in the propeller hub, a pair of 0.50-inch machine 
guns in the forward fuselage synchronized to fire through the 
propeller arc, plus a single 0.50-inch machine gun in each of two 
underwing gondolas.  

Although the P-63D had a good performance, it was no better than the 
North American P-51D Mustang which was already in service.  
Consequently, no thought was given to any production, and only one 
P-63D was built.  

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.  

  War Planes of the Second World War, William Green, Doubleday, 1964.  

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and 
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.  

  P-39 Airacobra In Action, Ernie McDowell, Squadron/Signal 
  Publications, 1980.  

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033