Subject: Number Sixty-Three in the Series--Bell P-63 Kingcobra (6 of 8)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Apr 93 16:36:45 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The next version of the Kingcobra was the P-63E (Bell Model 41).  The 
P-63E was generally similar to the experimental P-63D, and retained 
the larger wing and the Allison V-1710-119 engine of the bubble-topped D.  
However, the P-63E reverted to the standard Kingcobra framed cockpit 
with the car-like door on either side.  The P-63E restored the ventral 
fin extension that was fitted to the later production block of the 
P-63C, a feature which had been omitted from the P-63D.  The P-63E 
also differed in having increased fuel capacity.  

Empty weight of the P-63E was 7300 pounds, and normal and maximum 
loaded weights were 9400 pounds and 11,200 pounds respectively.  
Maximum speed was 410 mph at 25,000 feet, and an altitude of 25,000 
feet could be reached in 7.6 minutes.  Normal range was 725 miles, and 
maximum ferry range was 2150 miles.  Dimensions were wingspan 39 feet 
2 inches, length 32 feet 8 inches, height 12 feet 9 inches, and wing 
area 255 square feet.  

2943 P-63Es were ordered for supply to American allies under 
Lend-Lease.  However, the end of the war in Europe caused the order to 
be cancelled after only thirteen examples had been built.  

The serial numbers of the P-63Es that were completed were as follows: 

43-11720/11721 Bell P-63E Kingcobra 

43-11725/11735 Bell P-63E Kingcobra 

P-63E serial number 43-11728 is on display at the WPAFB Museum in 
Dayton, Ohio.  

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.  

  War Planes of the Second World War, William Green, Doubleday, 1964.  

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and 
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.  

  P-39 Airacobra In Action, Ernie McDowell, Squadron/Signal 
  Publications, 1980.  

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033